Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The Marshalls of America claim descent from William le Mareschal, who came over at the Norman Conquest. As the name implies, he was a commander in the army of occupation, the name Marshall being a military term needing no explanation. At the fall of Calais in 1558, in the region of Mary, Capt. John Marshall distinguished himself and was severly wounded. From his descended John Marshall, who was a captain at the battle of Edgehill, in the time of Charles I. It was this John Marshall who came to Virginia, and from him sprang Chief-Justice John Marshall, the greatest jurist our country has known.
A dozen or more of the name of Marshall landed in the Massachusetts colony between 1634 and 1678. The earliest to come was Francis in 1634, in the ship "Christian," from London to Boston.
The same year came John, on the "Hopewell," to Boston.
Each of these emigrants was the trunk of a genealogical tree with numerous branches.
(I) Benjamin Marshall was of Bridgewater, Mass. as early as 1768, coming from Stoughton, Mass., and married Mary D., daughter of Thomas Hayward.
Hayward, Calvin, Benjamin, Rowlandson, Gannett and Ambrose.
(III) John Marshall we know was not the son of Hayward, but he was probably a grandson of Benjamin by one of the other sons, perhaps Calvin. He married Eunice Grant, and removed to York, Maine.
Nathaniel, Grant and Eunice.
His wife was of Scotch (Scottish!) descent from James Grant, who was taken prisoner by the forces of Oliver Cromwell, about 1645, and either escaped or was banished, coming to America. He was a blacksmith by trade, and disappeared mysteriously in 1817 and was never thereafter heard from. Mrs. Marshall died Dec. 9, 1819.
(IV) Hon. Nathaniel Grant, only son of John and Eunice (Grant) Marshall, was born in old York, Maine, May 2, 1812. He was left an orphan at seven years of age, and was cared for by the aged grandparent, David Grant. At fifteen he had to shift for himself. Under the private tuition of Hon. Alexander McIntire, and Rev. Eber C. Carpenter, pator of the Congregational church, both of whom took a great interest in the lad, he was qualified to teach a country school. He followed the occupation of a district teacher till 1832. That year saw him launched out in a trade for himself, in which he was very successful. In 1836 he was elected constable and tax gatherer of York by the suffrages of his townsmen, who ever delighted to honor him.
In 1839 he had arisen to be sheriff, and in 1840 was made school committeeman, a position he was eminently qualified to fill by reason of his long experience as a teacher. In 1839 he formed a partnership with C. O. Clarke, with whom the connection continued till 1843, after which the business was conducted by Mr. Marshall alone till 1850. That year he forsook trade. Elected town treasurer in 1856, he managed the financial affairs of the town so acceptably that the thanks of the town were voted to him, and it so stands on the records today.
Governor Crosby appointed him high sheriff of York county in 1854, and he had previously been commissioned collector of the port of York by President Fillmore. In 1856 the office of sheriff became elective by the altered constitution, and Mr. Marshall was chosen to be shrievalty by an overwhelming vote. He was admitted to the York county bar in 1858, having declined a renomination for sheriff which was unanimously offered him. In 1860-61 he was a member of the state senate, was appointed by President Lincoln assessor of internal revenue of the first district of Maine, discharging the duties thereof with conspicuous ability.
In Sept., 1870 he bought what was known as "Stage Neck," at the mouth of the York river, and erected thereon a commodious and handsome hotel which has been widely and favorably known to the summer traveling public who frequent that resort. The town hall was practically built under his supervision, and may be called his work. The address delivered by him at the dedicatory exercises was a model of neatness and extemporaneous speaking. The ancient village and popular summer resort is also indebted to Mr. Marshall for much of its present architectural beauty, he being a prime mover in every enterprise that looked to the betterment of the place. Another thing the town and the lover of history owe to Mr. Marshall a heavy debt of gratitude in that he rearranged in an orderly manner the records of the town, which, prior to his labor thereon, which to him was a labor of love, were in a chaotic state and unserviceable for study and research. In a plain, readable hand he reproduced the two volumes of town records. He likewise performed a great service to historical students in the discovery and preservation in book form, modestly called by him a note-book - it is more than that - the records of the old families of ancient Georgianna Agamenticus and old York. No man could be better adapted for this work than he, and none could have so thoroughly and comprehensively covered the ground over which he traveled and systematically arranged.
He married Sophia Baker, April 18, 1841, who was born March 9, 1820, died in 1878. To her he gallantly ascribed much of his success in life. Senator Marshall died Feb. 17, 1882. By his death the bar of York county lost a valuable member, the town that honored him so much a public-spirited citizen, the world of historical research a faithful co-worker, and the world at large an honest man.
1. Edward S., born Feb. 2, 1842, see forward.
2. George A., born Oct. 4, 1843, married Annie E., daughter of Dr. Caleb Eastman; children: George E. (deceased), Kate Tilton, Addie T. and Bessie Mary.
3. Mary Ann, born April 8, 1846, died May 16, 1872; married Hervey Lord, of Lebanon, Maine.
4. Samuel B., born Jan. 23, 1849, married Ida, daughter of Charles Moulton, of York; children: Fred W., Mildred and Ethel.
5. Julia Etta, born Dec. 4, 1851, married Edward C. Moody; children: Charles (died in infancy), Sallie B., Edna M. and Edward C.
6. Ida May, born Sept. 13, 1854, married Alfred L. Moody; no children.
7. Francis Bacon, born Nov. 6, 1857, died June 4, 1865.
8. Sophia, born June 24, 1862, married J. Purley Putnam of York; children: M. Marshall, Marguerite, Roger A., Freeman, Conrad, Gretchen.
(V) Edward S., son of Hon. Nathaniel Grant and Sophia (Baker) Marshall, was born Feb. 2, 1842. He served as assistant assessor of internal revenues for the first district of Maine, was one of the original promoters of the York Harbor and Beach railroad and now (1908) one of the directors of same; is president and principal owner of the Agamenticus Light and Power Company of York, president and large owner of the Piscataqua Navigation Company of Portsmouth, N. H., has represented the town of York in the Maine legislature and four years was a member of the governor's council of Maine, and for thirty-five years owner and proprietor of the Marshall House, at York Harbor, Maine.
He married (first) Sarah K., daughter of Hon. Alexander Dennett, of Kittery, Maine.
Frank Dennett, born May 29, 1870, mentioned below.
Edward S. Marshall married (second) Georgia V., daughter of John and Asenath Main, of York.
Blanche E., born Aug. 22, 1873, died May 7, 1881.
(VI) Frank Dennett, only child of Edward S. and Sarah (Dennett) Marshall, was born in Portland, May 29, 1870. He obtained his education in the public schools of Kittery, Berwick Academy, Harvard University (1890-96). He was admitted to the bar of supreme judicial court of Maine in 1896 and subsequently to the U. S. courts. In the fall of 1896 he settled in Portland and has been in practice there ever since. A member of the common council from ward six as a Republican in 1905 and 1906; alderman from same ward in 1907-08; representative-elect from Portland to the seventy-fourth legislature.
A member of Cumberland CLub, Country Club of Portland, York Country Club, Yok Harbor; and Maine Historical Society; also president of State Street Parish Club. He and his family are attendants at State Street Congregational Church.
Frank D. Marshall was married in South Berwick, Oct. 7, 1897, to Helen M., born in S. Berwick Nov. 4, 1874, daughter of John F. (deceased) and Mary Elizabeth (Hobbs) Walker. Mrs. Marshall was educated at Berwick Academy and Wellesley College.
Elizabeth Walker, born March 5, 1902.
Edward Walker, born April 13, 1905.
Mr. Marshall's ancestry goes back to the early settlers of York and Kittery - to Arthur Bragdon, from Devonshire, an alderman under the City Charter of Georgeana, now York; and to John Dennet, of Kittery, whose line goes back to Hugh d'Anet, an officer at Hastings under William the Conqueror, and who subsequently settled in England in Hirst Pierpont.