Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
From the original settlement of York county, Maine, up to the present time (A.D. 1908), the Littlefield family have resided there, and many of the name have figured prominently both in public affairs and in developing its agricultural and industrial interests. A sturdy, energetic people, the parent stock was inclined to favor free thought in matters pertaining to religion, and were staunch supporters of the theological doctrine advocated and practiced by Rev. John Wheelright.
(I) Edmund Littlefield, born in Southampton, England, about 1600, married Annis ____. (The records give no family name). He came to this country from Tichfield, England, probably at the same time as the Rev. John Wheelright, for he was one of his parishioners at Exeter in 1630, and was one of the combination to whom twenty-one acres of land was assigned. In 1638 he sent to England for his family, and on May 16, of that year his wife Annis and six children took passage for Boston in the "Bevis" of Hampton, Captain Townes.
The Rev. John Wheelright, owing to a religous controvery precipitated by the teachings of Anne Hutchinson, left Exeter and later went to Wells, Maine, many of his parishioners going with him, and among them Edmund Littlefield, who in 1641, leaving Exeter, went to Wells, Maine, where he was one of the first settlers. He was supposed to hve built the first house, a saw mill and grist mill. He was deeded a lot of land by Sir Ferdinand Gorges in 1643, and was a leading spirit in organizing the town and promoting its development. He was on the grand jury in 1645, and it is said was the richest man in Wells. He and his sons were millmen and farmers. He was of fearless enterprise and sound moral principle. On account of this firm, moral character, he was appointed by the governor of Mass. agent for the sale of liquors in Wells, it being then of the utmost importance that great discretion should be used in the distribution to the Indians. He was one of the committee to settle the boundary between Wells and Cape Porpoise, and was elected by the people for the years 1643, 1655, 1658, 1660 and 1661 to try small cases. He died in Dec., 1661.
Francis, born 1619; Anthony, Elizabeth, John, Thomas, Mary, Hannah, Francis Jr., born 1631.
(II) Francis, eldest son of Edmund Littlefield, born in 1619, for some cause for which no explanation is given, disappeared from his father's home about the age of six, and was supposed to have died. Francis Jr. was born about six years later, and the parents named this child Francis. In the meantime Francis the elder had come to Exeter previous to 1639, and from Exeter went to Woburn, where he married. His wife died Dec. 20, 1646, leaving a daughter who died later, this being about five years after his father went to Wells. Soon after his daughter's death, Francis left Woburn and went to Wells also, only to find his father and family already there.
Francis Littlefield Jr. married Meribah Wardwell.
Joseph (b. abt. 1652); Nathan, Jonathan, Job, David, Mary J., Joanna, Tabitha, Hannah.
(III) Joseph, eldest child of Francis Littlefield, married Jane Cole, daughter of Nicholas Cole, but died before July, 1698, when the widow married John Heard.
Joseph, Meribah, Priscilla, perhaps other children.
Joseph was half owner of the falls at Kennebunk, which had been granted by the town of Wells and Kennebunk.
(IV) Joseph (2), eldest child of Joseph (1) Littlefield, married Abigail Storer, daughter of Joseph and Hannah Storer, Aug. 4, 1709.
Benjamin; probably other children.
(V) Benjamin, son of Joseph (2) Littlefield, married Dorcas Black, daughter of Samuel and Dorcas Black, of York, Dec. 11, 1753.
Benjamin Littlefield was one of the substantial men of the town. His parents were familiar with the experiences of the settlers in the times of the Indian wars, and he was taught the necessity of courage to meet the events of life and industry in its ordinary pursuits. Like others born in that day of hardship, he had put few opportunities for education, but he so improved those he had and acquired so much of the rudiments of knowledge that in 1760 he was chosen the clerk of the proprietors of the township, and held that office forty-three years. He spent his life in milling and farming. He was the owner of the grist-mill near his house and had an interest in the saw-mill in which he found employment. He was a man of very correct habits. In 1776 and 1777 he was one of the selectmen of the town. He died Oct. 5, 1821, at the age of ninety-one, leaving children and grandchildren (one of whom was Christopher), who have maintained an honorable standing in society.
(VI) Samuel Black, son of Benjamin Littlefield, married Susannah Hatch, daughter of Joshua and Susannah Hatch, Dec. 9, 1802. He was one of the most prominent residents of Wells, and a deacon of the Congregational church. He was twice married.
Children by 1st wife:
Christopher, b. in Wells, Sept. 15, 1803.
Children by 2d wife:
Trustam, Jonathan G., Samuel B., Susan, Sarah, Mary, Jane.
(VII) Christopher, son of Samuel Black Littlefield, born in Wells, Maine, Sept. 15, 1803; married Sarah Gooch, daughter of John and Olive Gooch, Oct. 17, 1826.
Charles Rollins, b. Sept. 12, 1828.
Abigail, Susan H., Sarah G., Annie W., John G.
Christopher Littlefield was the only child of Samuel Black Littlefield by his first marriage. His education was begun in the public schools, continued under the preceptorship of a private tutor, and he concluded his studies at the Hampton, New Hampshire, Academy, where he was prepared for educational pursuits. For many years he was engaged in teaching, and acquired a high reputation. As town clerk of Wells, in which capacity he served for many years, he displayed marked ability, as well as profound interest in the public affairs of the community, and as representative to the state legislature from Wells he evinced a like solicitude for the general welfare of the town. He was cashier of the Ocean National Bank at Kennebunk from it organization, Aug. 1, 1854, to Dec. 1, 1888, when he resigned after thirty-four years of continuous service.
The original deed of land to Edmund Littlefield, signed by Sir Ferdinand Gorges, was in the possession of Christopher Littlefield up to the time the bank building in Kennebunk was destroyed by fire, when it was burned. Only that day it had been returned from the Maine Historical Society, where it had been loaned to copy.
He was strong in his religous belief, was an earnest church member, and was deacon of both the Wells and Kennebunk Congregational church. No man stood higher in uprightness in any community, nor was mourned more greatly when he died. He died in January, 1890.
(VIII) Charles Rollins, eldest child of Christopher Littlefield, married in Amesbury, Mass., Sarah D. Foss, daughter of Silas M. and Sally Webster Foss, Jan. 17, 1850.
1. Charles Webster, born March 13, 1855, at Amesbury, Mass.
2. Arathur Gooch, born Feb. 9, 1859, at North Adams, Mass., died March 5, 1901.
Sarah D. Foss-Littlefield died Nov. 11, 1893.
Charles Rollins Littlefield married for his second wife Laura M. Wentworth, daughter of Jacob and Mary A. Wentworth, of Kennebunk, Oct. 24, 1895. Charles Rollins Littlefield was born in Wells, Sept. 12, 1828. His education was planned by his father, the preliminary studies in the public schools being supplemented by a period of instruction under private tuition, and further reinforced by a regular course at the South Berwick Academy in Maine, from which he was graduated.
After graduation he went to Amesbury, Mass., where he was associated with the Powwow River Bank for nine years, when he resigned in order to accept a position in New York City. He served during the civil war as paymaster in the army, receiving his first commission from Abraham Lincoln, with the rank of major, and later brevetted lieutenant-colonel by Andrew Johnson, who had then succeeded Lincoln as President of the U. S. He resigned in 1866, and for seventeen years was in the Navigation Department of the U. S. navy yard at Portsmouth, N. H. In 1888 he was appointed cashier of the Ocean National Bank at Kennebunk, succeeding his father in that position, resigning Jan. 1, 1908, having held the position for twenty years. It is interesting to note that since the establishment of this bank, some fifty-four years ago, it has had but two cashiers, this position having descended from father to son.
He is a member of York Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Murray Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; the Knights Templar; Mousam Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows and encampment; the Loyal Legion of the State of Maine; and of Webster Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of Kennebunk.
(IX) Charles Webster, eldest child of Charles Rollins Littlefield, was born at Amesbury, Mass., March 13, 1855. Sept. 8, 1876, he was commissioned by Ulysses S. Grant, president of the U.S., assistant paymaster in the navy. After three months' instruction on board the U.S.S. "Wabash" at Boston, he was ordered to the Asiatic Station, serving three years on board the U.S.S. "Palos." This station embraced China, Japan, and the islands of the Western Pacific ocean. Nov. 13, 1879, he returned to the United States, Oct. 8, 1880, reported at the Boston navy yard for duty as assistant to the inspector, and on June 16, 1881, was commissioned by Chester A. Arthur, president of the U.S., as passed assistant paymaster of the navy. Aug. 29, 1884, he was directed to proceed to the navy yard , Mare Island, California, for duty on board the U.S.S. "Adams." These orders were, however, revoked, and instead, on Oct. 13, 1884, reported at the training station, Newport, on board the U.S.S. "Saratoga." This duty consisted in yearly cruising to Europe for the summers and to the West Indies for the winters. On Oct. 27, 1886, he was detached from the "Saratoga;" March 23, 1887, ordered to proceed to New London, Connecticut, for duty at the naval station there and on April 1, 1889, proceeded to League Island, Pennsylvania, for duty on board the U.S.S. "Yorktown." This ship became one of the "White Squadron," going to Lisbon, Portugal, for the coronaton of King Carlos, cruising in the Mediterranean, West Indies and in home stations. Sept. 11, 1891, two months' leave of absense was graned, and on June 19, 1892, he was directed to proceed to the navy yard, Washington, D.C., for duty on board the U.S.S. "Dale." In connection with this duty, he had the accounts of the torpedo boat "Cushing," and was also, Sept. 28, 1892, directed to report to the U.S. Fish Commissioner for orders, the "Cushing" and Fish Commission duty requiring a great deal of traveling. On Dec. 25, 1892, he was commissioned by Grover Cleveland, pres. of the U.S., paymaster of the navy. Dec. 15, 1894, he was directed to proceed to Yokohama, Japan, for duty on board the U.S.S. "Charleston." On his arrival at Yokohama, Jan. 28, 1895, he was wired to proceed to Chee Foo, China, where the ship was watching the progress of the China-Japan war. Nov., 1895, he was on temporary duty on the flagship "Olympia, " Nagasaki, Japan. April 5, 1896, he was directed to proceed to Seoul, Korea, to assist in acquiring information of the condition of affairs. The queen had previously been assissinated, and the kind was under the protection of the Russian embassy. While there an interesting audience was had with the king. July 9, 1896, he was directed to proceed from Mare Island, California, to Kennebunk, Maine. Reported for duty Sept. 8, 1896, at Hampton Roads, Virginia, on board the U.S.S. "Maine." His cruise of three years having expired, on Feb. 2, 1898, he received in Havana, Cuba, orders to proceed to Kennebunk, Maine. The explosion of the "Maine" occurred one week after he left the ship, in which 252 were killed at once, and eight died in the hospital later. April 12, 1898, he was ordered to Norfolk, Virginia, for duty on board the U.S.S. "Franklin, " where he was wired that his commanding officer of the "Maine" wished him with him on the "St. Paul," and on April 20, 1898, he was ordered for duty on board the U.S.S."St. Paul," serving on board during the Spanish-American war, and receiving a medal from congress for services, Sept. 6, 1898 he was ordered from the "St. Paul," the ship being turned back to the American line for purpose of resuming her Atlantic passenger service. Oct. 15, 1898, he was ordered to the navy yard, Boston, for duty on the U.S.S. "Wabash;" Nov. 23, 1898, the duty of the naval station, New London, in connection with Boston; May 2, 1901, to the U.S.S. flagship "Kearsarvge" as fleet paymaster of the North Atlantic Statioh; and on March 29, 1902, was commissioned by Theodore Roosevelt, pres. of U. S., as pay inspector U.S. Navy, with the rank of commander. April 3, 1902, he was at Fort de France, Martinique, on board the U.S.S. flagship "Olympia" as paymaster of the fleet. June 20, 1902, at New York. He was there shifted by the admiral with the admiral and his staff back to the "Kearsarge." During this period the ship visited Kiel, Germany, by invitation of Emperor William, receiving great honors, the Emperor being entertained on board; thence to Portsmouth, England, where as guest of King Edward was one of a number of officers who attended the state ball at Buckingham and other social festivities; the Prince of Wales going to Portsmouth for luncheon on the ship. Sept. 1, 1903, he was directed to report in Washington to the paymaster general of the navy for the duty of the general inspector of the pay corps. This included visiting the stations of the Atlantic coast once in three months, and those of the Pacific coast once in six months, involving one hundred and fifty thousand miles of travel by rail in the three years and four months. On Dec. 27, 1903, he was commissioned by Theodore Roosevelt, pres. of the U.S., as pay director in the navy, with the rank of captain. Leave of absence was granted Dec. 17, 1906, for three months, with permission to leave the United States, where he visited Egypt, Italy, France, Switzerland and England. At this time his name was presented by his friends and he was prominently mentioned as a candidate for pay-master general of the navy. Among other endorsements to the president was one bearing the signature of every member of the committee on naval affairs of the senate. On April 30, 1907, he reported for duty as purchasing pay officer, Navy Pay Office, Boston, where at this time (1908) he is still in charge.
[now go back to I and from there.....]
(II) Captain John, son of Edmund Littlefield, was born about 1625-30. He took the oath of allegiance in 1680 and lived in Wells, Maine. He had a grant of land with his brother-in-law John Wakefield in 1641 from John Cleaves at the mouth of the Mousam River, where he made his home. He deeded to Francis Littlefield Sr., his brother, half the timber and mill at Ogunquit Upper Falls, Dec. 23, 1669; also land to Josiah Littlefield, Aug. 8, 1690. He died at Wells, Feb. 9, 1696-97, and his widow Patience administered his estate.
He was called "Sen." in 1669 and afterward.
Children, b. at Wells:
1. John, eldest son, married Mehitable ____; died 1690.
2. Josiah, married Lydia ____ and Elizabeth ____.
3. Eliab, mentioned below.
4. Son, died before 1701, leaving widow Joanna, and daughter Joanna.
5. Lydia, married ____ Storer.
6. Deborah, married Samuel Webber.
7. Mary, married Matthew Austin.
8. Charity, married William Webb.
9. Elizabeth, married Edward Beal.
10. Mercy, married ____ Luffkin.
11. Patience, married James Webber.
(III) Eliab, son of John Littlefield, was born about 1660-70. He settled in Manchester, Mass., probably on account of the Indian wars. He inherited much property at Wells. He deeded, Nov. 6, 1712, land grant of two hundred acres for building a mill at the falls and the remains of the mill which had been burned to John Cousins. Jonathan Hammond, Samuel Wheelwright and John Bullard were his partners in the mill grant and ownership. He sold lands at Wells to Zachariah Goodale, of Wells, June 15, 1715; also land formerly owned by John Wells (his father) to George Jacobs, of York, Jan. 18, 1715-16; also the land on the northeast side of Cape Porpoise known as Barrot's farm on Millers creek, Dec. 26, 1715, to Thomas Perkins, of Topsfield, Mass.; also land formerly owned by Henry Scratts, to whom it was granted March 28, 1699, to William Sayer, of Wells, Jan. 19, 1715.
Administration granted son-in-law Joseph Leach, of Manchester, April 16, 1717, and the estate was divided Dec., 1718.
Children, first 5 b. at Wells:
1. Eliab, born Oct. 23, 1697, mentioned below.
2. Patience, b. Aug, 17, 1699, married Joseph Leach.
3. Rachel, b. Jan. 31, 1700-01, died at Wells, Jan. 3, 1701-02.
4. Deborah, b. April 25, 1702.
5. Rachel, b. Jan. 19, 1704-05.
The last four shared in the partition of the father's estate.
(IV) Eliab (2), son of Eliab (1) Littlefield, was born at Wells, Maine, Oct. 23, 1697. He shared in the division of his father's estate and probably returned to Wells to live. We have reason to believe that he had other children besides the following:
1. Eliab, living in Wells in 1790, according to the census.
2. Ebenezer, mentioned below.
(V) Ebenezer, son of Eliab (2) Littlefield, was born in 1730. He was a soldier in the revolution from Wells, in Captain Samuel Sayer's company, Colonel James Scammon's regiment in 1775; also in Captain James Stedman's comany in 1776. He was the only soldier of the name Ebenezer Littlefield in Maine. In 1790, according to the federal census, he and his son Ebenezer were living in Wells. Ebenezer Sr. had two males over sixteen and one under that ae in his family, besides three females. Ebenezer Jr. had a wife and one son under sixteen. Hence Ebenezer had at least four children, probably more than four, besides Ebenezer Jr., mentioned below.
(VI) Ebenezer (2), son of Ebenezer (1) Littlefield, was born about 1760 in Wells. He married ____ Sweat and settled in Alfred, Maine.
1. Horace, born Sept. 17, 1808, died aged seventy-two years, married Mary E. Chase, of Rowley, Mass., and had son Charles H.
2. Eliab, born 1812, mentioned below.
4. Nathaniel S.
(probably not in order of birth).
(VII) Eliab (3), son of Ebenezer (2) Littlefield, was born at Alfred, Maine, 1812, died March 21, 1845. He was educated in the public schools of Alfred, Maine. In his youth he worked on the farm. After completing his education he went to Boston as clark in a publishing house. He engaged in the book publishing business on his own account a few years later. He was obliged by ill health to retire from active business in 1841, and he died four years later at the early age of thirty-three years, at his old home in Alfred, a victim of consumption. He was succeeded in business by the firm of Philip Simpson & Company.
In politics he was a Democrat, in religion a Methodist.
He married, 1834, Susan B. Harmon, born in Alfred, 1812, died Aug. 9, 1855.
1. Frank Harmon, mentioned below.
2. Mary Sabrina, b. Jan. 8, 1839, married John Davis, a jeweler of Tilton, N. H.
3. Walter Morton, b. March 27, 1841, married Lucinda S. Tracey, of West Buxton, May 9, 1882.
4. Clara Susan, b. April 28, 1843, married Nov. 22, 1871, S. M. Came, a lawyer of Alfred, Maine, prominent in his profession.
(VIII) Frank Harmon, son of Eliab (3) Littlefield, was born in Roxbury, now Boston, Mass., Sept. 14, 1836. He was educated in the public schools of Alfred, Kennebunk, and the Limerick Academy. In 1857 he embarked in business for himself, establishing a general store in Alfred. Isaac Brackett was his partner. He retired from the firm in 1859 and entered the firm of Chase, Littlefield & Company in the hardware business, Portland, Maine. He remained in this business until 1866 when he sold out and returned to Alfred, and in partnership with is brother, Walter Morton Littlefield, began business in a general store under the firm name of Littlefield Brothers and has continued with much success to the present time (1908). The firm owns the large and spacious building in which the store is located, and they are well and favorably known throughout the county, being prominent in business circles and enjoying the confidence and respect of all their townsmen.
Frank H. Littlefield is a member of Fraternal Lodge of Free Masons, Alfred.
He married, Nov. 9, 1865, Laura A. Grant, born Aug. 31, 1838, daughter of John L. Grant, of Alfred. They have one son, Harry Grant, mentioned below.
(IX) Harry Grant, son of Frank Harmon Littlefield, was born in Portland, Maine, June 14, 1865. He was educated in the public and high schools of Alfred, graduating from the latter. He worked for some time in his father's store in Alfred, then for the Whittenton Manufacturing Company of Taunton, Mass. for two years as clerk in the counting room. He was then with the Lord Brothers Optical Company at Tilton, N. H., for four years. He moved from Tilton to Alfred and became associated with his father.
In politics Mr. Littlefield is a Republican and has been treasurer of the town of Alfred; is a Congregationalist in religion.
He married, Sept., 1904, Myra Merrill, born in Alfred Oct., 1864, daughter of Dr. Frank B. and Sarah (Wakefield) Merrill, of Alfred. Her father was a prominent physician of Alfred.
They have no children.
[go back again to the first generation, above, and proceed....]
(II) Ensign Francis Jr., son of Edmund Littlefield, was born in England about 1631. He was a carpenter by trade, and settled in Wells, Maine, where he owned a saw mill and grist mill. His will was made in 1674. His widow Meribah was living in 1677.
Children, b. in Wells:
Joseph, Nathan, Jonathan, Job, David (mentioned below), Mary, Joanna, Tabitha, Hannah.
All were minors when their father died.
(III) David, son of Ensign Francis Littlefield, was born in Wells about 1653, and was baptized when an adult in July, 1707. He resided in Wells, and in 1713-16 owned a quarter interest in the falls. He married Dec. 24, 1694, ____.
David (mentioned below), Eleanor, Nathan, Mary, Jeremiah, Meribah, Tabitha, Ithamar.
(IV) David (2), eldest son of David (1) Littlefield, was born about 1696,in Wells, Maine, where he passed his life.
(V) Ithamar, son of David (2), was born in Wells, July 20, 1729. He married (intentions dated April 10, 1745) Margaret Williams. He was a prosperous farmer of Kennebunk, Maine. Among their children was Ithamar, mentioned below.
(VI) Ithamar (2), son of Ithamar (1) Littlefield, was born June 14, 1747. He was living in Wells in 1759, when he built his house opposite that of John Gilpatrick near the second Mousam lot. He contributed shoes, stockings and shirts to the Continental army in 1778. He served on the committee appointed in March, 1767, to carry out the vote to move the second parish meeting house. In 1784 he had one hundred and fifty acres of land, of which forty acres were planted to potatoes.
He married Edna David, of Kennebunk, March 29, 1768.
(VII) Obadiah, son of Ithamar (2) Littlefield, was born in Wells or Kennebunk, Aug .29, 1777. He married Oct. 28, 1802, Anna Chick, born March 4, 1782.
Children, b. at Kennebunk:
1. Daniel L., mentioned below.
4. Joshua C., b. April 6, 1810, died April 6, 1887.
6. James D.
7. Jonas C., b. Aug. 28, 1817.
8. Jerusha, b. May, 1820.
10. Esther, b. July 13, 1826.
(VIII) Daniel L., son of Obadish Littlefield, was born in Kennebunk May 16, 1803, died Oct. 5, 1890. He married Mary Hardy Leavitt, born Dec. 27, 1802, died Jan. 5, 1871. Daniel L. Littlefield was educated in the common schools in Kennebunk. He worked first on a farm, then learned the trade of carpenter and followed this trade for some time at Sanford, Maine. In 1849 he removed from Sanford to Biddeford and was in business many years as a carpenter and builder in that city.
In politics he was a Democrat. He was appointed deputy sheriff while in Sanford and was elected to the common council of Biddeford.
He was an active and prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
1. Mary, born May 4, 1830, died May, 1832.
2. Violetta W., b. Oct. 4, 1832, died Jan. 19, 1859.
3. Gilman P., mentioned below.
(IX) Hon. Gilman Porter, son of Daniel L. Littlefield, was born in Sanford, Maine, Nov. 25, 1838. He was educated there in the public schools, and in the grammar school at Biddeford. He began to work as a boy in the office of the Saco Water Power Company, now the Saco & Pettee Machine Shops. Not liking office work he went into the machine shop to learn the trade, rose step by step to the position of overseer. He was made assistant superintendent of the shops and has filled that responsible position since, with conspicuous ability and success. He has been with this concern continuouly since 1855.
Mr. Littlefield is prominent in public life, being especially interested in municipal affairs. He was elected to the board of aldermen in 1882 and from time to time served in that board down to 1902; was president of the board in 1882-83. He was president of the common council in 1896, and was elected mayor for the year 1906 unaminmously; was re-elected March, 1907, and has had an extremely successful and commendable administration.
In politics he is a Republican of large influence. Mr. Littlefield is a member of Dunlap Lodge of Free Masons, of which he is a past master; a member of York Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; of Maine Council, Royal and Select Masters; Bradford Commandery, Knights Templar, of which he is past commander, and of Kora Temple, Mystic Shrine, Lewiston, Maine. He is also a member of Movoshan Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of Biddeford.
He is a member of the Second Congregational Church of Biddeford.
He married, Aug. 7, 1861, Sarah Emma Berry, born May 5, 1841, daughter of Gilbert Berry, of Saco.
1. Sarah C., born Sept. 19, 1863, graduate of the Biddeford high school, assistant postmaster of Biddeford.
2. Gilbert B, b. Aug. 24, 1868, attended the public schools of Biddeford and graduated at Bowdoin College; now assistant night manager of the Associated Press office, Boston. Married Alice Parons, daughter of James Parsons, of Biddeford.
[now go back and pick this one up from one of the (II) sketches]
(III) Josiah, eldest son of Lieut, John and Patience Littlefield, was born in Wells, Maine. He seems to have been a man of prominence and activity in town affairs, and his was the first name mentioned in the foundation of the church at Wells in 1701. At the death of his father in 1696, it was decided that he should take charge of his estate during the lifetime of his widow Patience, which he did and remained a short time after. In 1708, however, he was captured by the Indians and while in captivity the court ordered that his estate and children be place in charge of Josiah Winn, who had married Lydia, his brother's daughter. The second wife of Josiah Littlefield, not wishing to be ignored as a suitable guardian for his children, made continuous trouble regarding the property and controversies continued in consequence until the death of Josiah, her husband, who was killed by the Indians April 26, 1713. His widow, Elizabeth, was made administratrix of his estate.
There were eight children surviving, three son and five daughters; the latter married as follows:
Anna married Jacob Perkins.
Esther married Joseph Credeford.
Sarah married James Clark.
Elizabeth married Zachariah Goodale.
Lydia married, ______.
The sons' names were not given in this account.
(IV) Peter, son of Josiah Littlefield, was born in Wells, where he resided. He was one of a military company of Frankfort, Maine, who petitioned to organize a company of light infantry. Like his father, he was a very active man. He married _____.
(V) Nathaniel, son of Peter Littlefield, was born in Wells, and was shipwrecked in the West Indies in 1769. He married in 1750.
(VI) Richard, son of Nathaniel Littlefield, was born in Wells. He married, 1788, Ann Stevens.
(VI) Theodore, son of Richard and Ann (Stevens) Littlefield, was born in Wells, May 6, 1782, died in 1863. He married Martha Hobbs.
Richard, Theodore, Olive E., Christopher, Woodbury, Ann, William H., Sylvester and Erros Hoag.
(VIII) William hobbs, fifth son of Theodore and Marth (Hobbs) Littlefield, was born in Wells, June 14, 1818, died 1899, having survived his wife. He was a Freewill Baptist minister, and was in politics a Republican. For many years he was superintendent of schools in Vinalhaven, Maine, and was a member of the building committee of Bates College.
He married, at Kennebunk, March 20, 1845, Mary, daughter of Paul and Dorothy (Hobbs) Stevens, who was born at Kennebunk, Aug. 7, 1823.
1. Leroy, born May 24, 1846, deceased.
2. Martha Ann, b. Dec. 14, 1848.
3. Charles Edgar, b. June 21, 1851.
4. William Trafton, b. Jan. 12, 1855.
5. Frank Leslie, b. July 23, 1857.
6. Hattie Prescott, b. Nov. 28, 1859, deceased.
7. Arthur Stevens, b. April 10, 1864.
8. George Paul, b. Feb. 5, 1862, deceased.
9. Mary Florence, b. Feb. 18, 1868, deceased.
(IX) Arthur Stevens, fifth son of William Hobbs and Mary (Stevens) Littlefield, was born at Vinalhaven, Knox county, Maine, April 10, 1864. He was educated at the public schools of his native town, Nichols Latin School and Bates College, from which he was graduated in 1887, and from Columbia Law School, New York City, 1889. He was admitted to the bar in Dec., 1889, and at once commenced practice at Rockland, Maine, where he has built up a large and lucrative law business, ranking probably the first in the county. His offices in a finely appointed suite of rooms are attractive and commodious.
In politics Mr. Littlefield is a Republican, representing his district in the state legislature 1903-1905, and is a member of the city council and the school board. He is also a director in the Security Trust Company of Rockland. Mr. Littlfield is a Mason and master of Aurora Lodge, No. 50, F. and A.M.; member of King Solomon Temple, No. 8, Royal Arch chapeter; King Hiram Council, No. 6, Royal and Select Masters; and the Claremont Commandery of Rockland. He is also a member of the Consistory of S.P. and R.S. of Portland, and Kora Temple, Mystic Shrine, of Lewiston. On March 23, 1907, he was elected without a dissenting vote, exalted ruler of Rockland Lodge, No. 1008, B.P.O.E., which fact testified to his popularity and fitness for office.
Mr. Littlefield married, at Lewiston, Jan. 29, 1890, Rosa A., daughter of F.P. and Rosalba A. Weymouth, who was born in Lewiston Jan. 29, 1864.
They have no children.