Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
This name is frequently found in Great Britain, especially in Scotland, and is common in the North of Ireland. The variations in spelling in early documents are numerous and remarkable. At least nine forms were well established prior to 1700: Littell, Littel, Litel, Lytel, Lytell, Lyettelle, Little, Lytle, and Lyttle. The patronymic Lytle is rather unusual in America, but it at once recalls the gifted William Haine Lytle, whose life was sacrificed for his country in 1863. His famous poem beginning:
"I am dying, Egypt, dying,
Ebbe the crimson life-ride fast."
is said to have been written on the eve of the battle which caused his death.
Perhaps the earliest mention of the name in England is that of William Little, who was born in 1136, at Bridlington, in Yorkshire. He was a monk of Newborough Abby, and wrote a history of England from the period from 1066 to 1197. Some centuries later we read that Ellen, daughter of Sir Thomas Little, of Berkshire, married Edward Bacon, of Shrubland Hall, county Suffolk, son of Sir Nicholas Bacon, Lord Keeper of the Great Seal of England, and brother to the famous Francis Bacon, Viscount St. Albans.
In modern times we find that a family by the name of Little has its seat at Llanvair Grange, county Monmouth, and the vice-chancellorship of the Duchy of Lancaster were recently held by George Little, K. C.
In Scotland the name is associated with the renowned patriot, Sir William Wallace, who had a nephrew named Edward Little. In 1398 Nichol Little took part in one of the numerous Border wars between the English and the Scotch (Scots!). Two families of the name have held more or less extended estates, one at Meikledale and Langholme in Dumfrieshire, and the other at Liberton, near Edinburgh. At some period between 1698 and 1731 William Little, of Liberton, a gentleman of ancient family, which had been in possession of the barony of Lieberton for over a hundred years preceding, married Helen, daughter of Sir Alexander Gilmour, of Craigmillar, in the same county. There is some reason for supposing that George Little, the American ancestor with whom the following line begins, may have been connected with the Littles of Liberton. At all events, a coat-of-arms which has been found handed down in several branches of the American family is practically the same as that of the Littles of Liberton. This escutcheon consists of a field or, with a saltire of Saint Andrew's cross, engrailed sable; crest, a wolf's head; motto: "Magnum in parvo" - Great in little. This motto suggests the origin of the name, which is identical with that of the surname Petit in France and Elein in Germany. It may be mentioned that the family does not appear to retain the personal characteristic of the founder of the house, for many of the modern Littles are of unusual length and more than average width.
There were several Littles among the early settlers of this country. First of them was Thomas Little, who landed at Plymouth, Mass., in 1630, married Ann Warren, and died at Marshfield in 1671. Probably seven thousand descendants can trace their origin to Thomas Little; this line is particularly distinguished by the number of its clergymen.
Richard Little, of New Haven, Connecticut, was a freeman in 1670 and a proprietor in 1685.
George Little, of Newbury, Mass., from whom the following line is descended, had sixty-five hundred descendants in 1880, of whom fifteen hundred lived in Massachusetts, and the same number in New Hampshire; seven hundred and fifty belonged to Maine; and five hundred to Vermont; the remainder were scattered all over the country and Canada. Until the beginning of the 19th century scarcely a member of the family could be found beyond the limits of the four states previously mentioned. Three towns in the Union, including Littleton, New Hampshire, have been named after founders belonging to this branch of Littles. Five college presidents can tract their ancestry to George Little; and his posterity, as a whole, can boast of a record whose worth compares favorably with its length. Few names in America are more ancient and few have been more creditably borne by a multitudinous offspring.
(I) George Little, who came to Newbury, Mass. about 1640, is said, according to established tradition, to have resided upon Unicorn Street, near London Bridge, England. His parentage has never been traced, though the parish records of St. Olive's, Southwark, and of the neighboring St. Saviour's, show that several families of the name lived in that region during the close of the sixteenth and beginning of the seventeenth centuries. There is a tradition that George Little had a brother Thomas, who was an officer in Cromwell's navy, and gave George a deed of lands at Barbadoes in the West Indies, which wa afterward stolen from him in Newbury.
George Little seems to have been distinguished by that "hankering for mud," which, according to Lowell, is one of the marked characteristics of the Anglo-Saxon race. His first purchase of land occurred in 1650, when he bought a freehold right in Newbury; and from that time on he bought in large or small parcels, as occasion offered, till he owned some of the best land in town. He acquired a title to lands in Quinebaug country in Connecticut, and in 1669 received a patent for eighty acres in Woodbridge, New Jersey. In July 1668 he petitioned Sir Edmund Andros, then governor for New England, for confirmation of his title to four hundred acres of land "on the north side of Swan Pond westward from Saco River."
George Little served several times upon juries at Ipswich and Salem, but as far as is known held no public offices, though he was appraiser and executor of several estates, which would indicate a reputation for integrity and good judgment. In the prolonged ecclesiastical dispute which divided the church at Newbury for so many years he was on the side of the pastor, Rev. Mr. Parker, but soon after the settlement of difficulties he, with his wife, joined the First Baptist church in Boston, and in 1682 they became members of a small church of the same denomination in Newbury.
It is said that Mr. Little was a tailor by trade, but it is probable that he devoted most of his time in America to farming. He was a man of remarkably stong physique, and it is said that he could carry a plough on his shoulder from his home to his farm on Turkey Hill - over three miles away. He was exceedinly well versed in Scripture, being able to give the book and chapter of any text that might be quoted. The house which he built in 1679 and occupied till his death, about fourteen years later, stood for nearly two centuries or until its removal in 1851.
The exact date of his death is not known, but it occurred some time between March 15, 1693 and Nov. 27, 1694. He was buried in the graveyard adjoining the first church, but all traces were lost when a new edifice was erected near the spot not many years after his death.
George Little married (first) Alice Poor, who sailed for New England in the "Bevis," in May, 1638. The party, which included her younger brothers Samuel and Daniel, embarked from Southampton under the care of Mr. Stephen Dummer. It is thought that the Poors were natives of Wiltshire. The motto on their coat-of-arms reads: "Pauper non in Spe" - Poor not in Hope.
Alice (Poor) Little died Dec. 1, 1680, aged sixty-two years. Judge Sewall speaks in his diary of calling upon Goodman and Goodwife Little during one of his visits to Newbury, and says that she "lived in sore pain for many years before her death."
Sarah, born May 8, 1652, died Nov. 19 of that year.
Joseph, born Sept. 22, 1653, died Sept. 6, 1740.
John, born July 28, 1655, died July 20, 1672.
Moses, whose sketch follows.
Sarah, born Nov. 24, 1661, died after 1718.
George Little married (second) Eleanor, widow of Thomas Barnard, of Amesbury, who survived him, dying Nov. 27, 1694.
(II) Moses, third and youngest son of George and Alice (Poor) Little, was born March 11, 1657, probably at the paternal home in Newbury, Mass., where he lived till his death, March 8, 1691. He served in King Philip's war, and was town collector and engaged in the settlement of estates. He died of smallpox, and it is said that the physician, while in a state of intoxication, administered a prescription which hastened if it did not cause his death. As illustrating the gross medical ignoranace of the time, it may be mentioned that the patient, during his last illness, was kept in a room so heated that one's hand could not be borne upon the wall. The fact that our ancestors survived such treatment shows that they must have been made of stern stuff.
The estate of "Mosis littel" (thus his signature has come down to us), was appraised at one thousand, sixty-five pounds, a very large sum to have accumulated at that period by so young a man. He was evidently rich in flocks and herds, for no less than forty-three cows, oxen and young cattle are mentioned, besides eighty sheep, eight swine and four horses. The house seems to have been well stocked with all needful articles, and among the domestic utensils mentioned ar "smoothingers." Could they have been flat-irons?
About 1679 Moses Little married Lydia, daughter of Tristram and Judith (Somerby) (Greenleaf) Coffin, born April 22, 1662.
John, born Jan. 8, 1680; died unmarried, March 25, 1753.
Tristram, born Dec. 9, 1681, died Nov. 11, 1765.
Sarah, born April 28, 1664, died Dec. 10, 1710.
Mary, born Jan. 13, 1686, died in June, 1761.
Elizabeth, born May 25, 1688, married Anthony Morse.
Moses, whose sketch follows.
On March 18, 1695, four years after the death of her first husband, Mrs. Lydia (Coffin) Little married (second) John Pike, by whom she had five daughters and one son.
(III) Moses (2), youngest child of Moses (1) and Lydia (Coffin) Little, was born Feb. 26, 1691, at Newbury, Mass. He lived at the old homestead till about 1730, when he bought the Turkey Hill farm of his uncle Joseph, where he remained till his death, Oct. 17, 1780, in the ninetieth year of his age. The house where he spent the last fifty years of his life was a big square dwelling with a chimney in the middle, an excellent type of a dignified old farm mansion. It was built before 1700, and taken down in 1859. The farm still continues in the possession of his descendants. According to the epitaphs in the Upper burying ground on the Plains at Newbury, Moses Little, "was temperate in all things, industrious, hospitable yet frugal, a kind husband and tender father, a good neighbor, a good citizen, and while living justly sustained the first of characters - an honest man." Of his consort the stone says: "She truly answered ye wise man's character of a Virtuous Woman; Lived beloved and died lamented, and hath left her friends a Good hope that at the Resurrection of this Dust shall spring to light with sweet surprise, and and in her Savior's image rise."
On Feb. 12, 1716, Moses (2) Little married Sarah, daughter of Sergeant Stephen and Deborah (Plumer) Jaques, born Sept. 23, 1697, died in November, 1763.
Lydia, born Aug. 25, 1717.
Stephen, born May 19, 1719.
John, born Nov. 16, 1721.
Moses, born May 8, 1724.
Joseph, born May 29, 1726.
Sarah, born Feb. 17, 1728.
Joseph, born April 21, 1730.
Benjamin, born Nov. 4, 1732.
Sarah, born April 8, 1735.
Mary, born Oct. 25, 1737.
Paul, born April 1, 1740.
Elizabeth, born Oct. 16, 1742.
All of these children except three, the first Joseph, the first Sarah and Elizabeth, lived to mature years and reared families. The second Sarah married William Pottle, who lived at Stratham, N. H., and Minot, Maine; she brought up a family of ten children and lived to be ninety-five years of age.
(IV) Moses (3), third son of Moses (2) and Sarah (Jaques) Little, was born May 8, 1724, at Newbury, Mass. He was a man of indomitable energy and great force of character, and if his health had not become seriously impaired during the last years of his life, which closed May 27, 1798, at the age of seventy-five, it is probable that even greater honors and success would have fallen to his lot. He seems to have had the same desire to become a land owner that characterized his great-grandfather, the original immigrant; and his position as surveyor of the King's Wood, which he held for several years, gave him an excellent opportunity to become acquainted with the value of such property. About 1750, in company with others, he obtained from Governor Benning Wentworth a large grant of the unoccupied crown lands lying within the present limits of Vermont. In 1765, acting as agent for the proprietors of Bakerstown, he succeeded in obtaining for them from the general court of Mass., a township of land in Maine in exchange for one previously granted and found to be within the borders of New Hampshire. By purchasing the rights of the original proprietors, Col. Moses Little and his son Josiah eventually became owners of a greater part of the grant, which comprised the present towns of Poland, Minot and a portion of Auburn. In 1768 a still larger tract on the eastern side of Androscoggin was granted to him and Col Bagley, by the Pejepscot Company, on condition that they would build roads and settle fifty families there before June 1, 1774. These conditions were not fully met; consequently the full amount of land was not received. The town of Leeds, Maine, was first called Littleborough in his honor; and the town of Littleton, in New Hampshire, permanently preserves his name. It was in 1769 that he began buying land in northern N. H., and he afterwards largely increased his holdings in that region.
Moses (3) Little rendered important military service during two wars, ranking as captain during the French and Indian war, and as colonel during the revolution. In 1758 he was in command of the Newbury soldiers in the expedition against Louisburg, proving himself an able officer, and gaining the devotion of his men. When the revolution broke out he was over fifty years of age, but no youth in his teens responded more quickly. It is said that the news of the Concord fight reached Turkey Hill at midnight and by six the next morning Moses Little was on the road at the head of his company. He marched to the American headquarters at Cambridge, and was placed in command of the regiment raised from the northern part of Essex county, which contained four hundred and fifty-six men by the middle of June. At the battle of Bunker Hill he led thee of his companies across Charlestown Neck under a severe fire from the British batteries and ships of war, reached the scene of action before the first charge of the enemy, and was present throughout the entire engagement. His men were posted in different places, a part at the redoubt, a part at the breastwork, and some at the rail fence; and a fourth company came upon the hill after the battle began. Forty of his regiment were killed or wounded, men fell on either side of him, but Col. Little himself escaped unharmed. He remained with his command in Cambridge, absenting himself only two days, when called home in August to attend the funeral of two of his daughers. He came into close relations with Washington, who held him in high esteem, and mentioned him as a model to some other officers who were complaining of the character of the provisions, saying the Colonel Little had found no time to grumble at hardships of that sort.
Colonel Little went with the army to New York after the evacuation of Boston, and was present at the disastrous battle of Long Island. He held command of Fort Greene before the engagement, and during it was stationed at Flatbush Pass. He also took part in the battle of Harlem Heights, but did not accompany his men in the retreat through New Jersey, being detained by sickness at Peekskill. The next winter he commanded an important encampment at the latter place, but in the spring in 1777 wa forced to return home on account of ill health. For the same reason he was compelled in 1779 to decline the commission of brigadier-general and the command of an expedition sent from Mass. to dislodge the enemy from their position on Penobscot.
After his retirement from military service he repesented the town of Newbury in the legislature some some time, as he had done before the war. A stroke of paralysis in 1781 terminated his active career. Col. Little was a man of high ability, with a keen knowledge of human nature and imperturbable self-possession, and had not his strength failed, which was doubtless undermined by excessive toil, he might have reached high rank among officers of the revolution. As it is, his record is one which his descendants may well cherish, as they do his sword used at Bunker Hill and his commission from the Continental Congress.
About 1750, a few years after his marriage, Col. Little built the fine old mansion at Turkey Hill, Newbury, which was his home during the rest of his life, and is still (1908) occupied by his descendants. It stood just across the road from his father's, and was an expensive house for its day. The Littles, like most of the leading families of Newbury, were slaveholders at that tine; and there is still extant a letter from President Eleazar Wheelock, of Dartmouth College, to Colonel Little, in relation to one Caesar, which the fomer desired to purchase. The document is dated May 6, 1773, and in it President Wheelock says: "I have determined to buy the Negro if he proves to be the Slave which you take him to be." The clergyman goes on to say that he stands in very special and great necessity of his services on account of his principal cook's being gone, and offers twenty pounds, lawful money, as the purchase price. Colonel Little was very successful in accumulating this world's goods, and his estate, which he disposed of by will, was inventoried at sixty-two thousand, three hundred and fifty-six dollars, a large fortune for those days.
In 1743, when he was but nineteen, Moses Little married Abigail, daughter of Joshua and Sarah (Coffin) Bailey, of Newbury, Mass., born Feb. 15, 1724, a twin sister of Judith Bailey, who married Moses Little's elder brother Stephen. Mrs. Abigal (Bailey) Little died Feb. 6, 1815, having nearly completed her ninety-first year. Moses and Abigail (Bailey) Little had eleven children, all but three of whom lived to marry and rear families.
Sarah, born Dec. 15, 1743, married John Noyes.
Michael, born Jan. 9, 1745-46, died Feb. 15, 1745.
Josiah, whose sketch follows.
Abigail, born April 2, 1749, married John Gideon Bailey.
Lydia, born Nov. 24, 1751, married John Atkinson.
Elizabeth, born Sept. 3, 1754, married (first) Lieut. John Carr and (second) Lieut. William Wigglesworth.
Anna, born March 20, 1757, died Aug. 13, 1775.
Mary, born Sept. 22, 1759, married (first) Matthias P. Sawyer, and (second) Joshua Follansbee.
Hannah, born May 21, 1762, married (first) Dr. Moses Sawyer, and (second) Col. James Burnahm.
Alice, born May 10, 1764, died May 6, 1765.
Moses, born Jan. 20, 1767, married Elizabeth Dummer and lived on a portion of the original Turkey Hill farm, where he died at the age of ninety.
Two of the daughtere of this family lived to good old age. Abigail died Sept. 20, 1838, in her ninetieth year, and Mary died Aug. 28, 1847, lacking but a month of eighty-eight.
The two daughters whose deaths on consecutive ays occurred while their father was in the army, were Sarah, d. Aug. 14, 1775, and Anna, died the day before.
(V) Josiah, eldest surviving son of Col. Moses (3) and Abigail (Bailey) Little, was born at the paternal home on Turkey Hill, Newbury, Mass., Feb. 16, 1747. Like his father, whom he strongly resembled, he was a man of great energy and business talent. He had charge of his father's real estate for many years, and the care and improvement of wild lands occupied a considerable portion of his time. Every year until he was past eighty he used to visit his property in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, driving over the rough roads alone, even after he had lost one hand by the premature explosion of a blast in the rapids of the Androscoggin below Lewiston. As a proprietor and agent of the Pejepscot Company, he often had dangerous encoutners with squatters, and his journeys to these wild regions were fruitful of thrilling and sometimes laughable adventures.
His influence in the legislature prevented at one time the sacrifice of state lands in Maine. Josiah Little always kept his home in Newbury, and was a large owner of real estate in the business portion of Newburyport. He was also engaged to a considerable extent in shipping, and at this death, which occurred Dec. 26, 1830, he left a fortune of several hundred thousand dollars.
Josiah Little was prominent in public affairs, and his influence in Newbury was almost unlimited. He was representative to the general court twenty-five years, of which nineteen were in succession, and he was a member of the constitutional convention of 1820. He was an early and efficient friend of Bowdoin College, as his father had been of Dartmouth. His portrait, with the heavy black eybrows and long curling white hair, is a striking picture of a gentleman of that period. The clear-cut features and the direct glance of the eyes indicate a man of upright character and indomintable will, accustomed to direct large companies of men; but there is a humorous curve to the mouth and a half quizzical expression which portray a warm, generous heart and a knowledge of human nature in all its phases. He retained his physical vigor almost to the very last, and his death, which occurred just before he had completed his eighty-fourth year, was the result of an accident by which his thigh was broken.
On March 23, 1770, Josiah Little married Sarah, daughter of Edward and Sarah (Bailey) Toppan, born May 27, 1748, died Oct. 11, 1823. Mrs. Little belonged to one of the oldest families in Newbury. One of her great-grandfathers, Lieut. Jacob Toppan, born 1645, married Hannah, sister of Chief Justice Samuel Sewall. Another great-grandfather was Rev. Michael Wigglesworth, of Malden, author of the "Day of Doom."
Michael, born March 14, 1771.
Edward, whose sketch follows.
Alice, born Feb. 1, 1775.
Sarah, born Jan. 16, 1777, died on Dec. 26, of that year.
Sarah, born July 27, 1779, married John Little and died March 12, 1868, in her eighty-ninth year.
Moses, born Aug. 17, 1781, died March 7, 1802.
Anna, born Nov. 29, 1783.
Mary, born May 4, 1786.
Judith Toppan, born Sept. 5, 1788, died April 16, 1791.
Josiah, born Jan. 13, 1791.
The three sons of this family who lived to grow up were all educated at college. Michael and Edward were graduated from Dartmouth, while Josiah took his degree at Bowdoin.
Alice Little married Thomas Hale, of Newbury; their eldest child, Benjamin Hale, was professor at Dartmouth College from 1827 to 1835, and president of Hobart College, Geneva, New York, from 1836 to 1858.
Josiah Little, the youngest of the ten children, was evidently a public-spirited man, whose services deserve more than passing mention. He married Sopronia Balch, of Newburyport, and his life was identified with that town, which he represented in the state senate for two terms. He founded the Newburyport Public Library, and established a professorship of natural science in Bowdoin College, of which institution he was an overseer for several years. He was also a member of the Maine Historical Society, and took part in the industrial development of the state. He felt a deep interest in the family name, desired that his farm at Turkey Hill, which had been owned by five preceding generations, should be a place for family reunions, and left a fund whose interest should be applied to the relief of any unfortunate kinsfolk. He died on Feb. 5, 1860, without offspring.
(VI) Edward, second son of Josiah and Sarah (Toppan) Little, was born at Newbury, Mass., March 12, 1773, and died at Auburn, Maine, Sept. 21, 1849. He was educated at Phillips Exeter Academy, N. H., and at Dartmouth College, where he took his degree in 1797. He studied law with Chief Justice Parsons, of Newburyport, where he practiced his profession for some years; was county attorney and publisher of law reports for the commonwealth, and representative to the Mass. legislature for severl sessions. The great fire of 1811 caused the destruction of most of his property at Newburyport, and resulted in his removal to Portland, Maine, where he had inherited great tracts of land.
He lived in Portland, where he was engaged in the book trade, till 1826, when he removed to Auburn, where he spent the last twenty-three years of his life. The owner of a large part of the surrounding territory, he had a commanding influence in directing the character and growth of the new town. He gave the land for the first church, paid one-half of the cost of the building, and for some time provided for the preaching largely at his own expense.
In his youth he was inclined toward the Unitarian side of the controversy then existing in the Congregational denomination, but after his residence in Portland, where he was a parishoner of Dr. Payson, he became a firm Trinitarian, and continued as such till the end of life. He established and endowed an academy which was in operation forty years and gained a high reputation throughout the state. Upon the change in educational conditions the grounds and a portion of the funds were transferred to the town, which now maintains an Edward Little High School before whose entrance stands a lifesize statue of the founder, erected at public expense.
Mr. Little was no less helpful in advancing the material prosperity of the place then he was in caring for its spiritual welfare. The original owner of the water power which has since given rise to the busy manufacturing city of Lewiston, he sold at a low price to secure the introduction of outside capital. He aided every new industry to the extent of his power, and always held out inducements to get the best class of workmen to settle in the place. Although he has been dead more than half a century, his works do follow him.
On Jan. 10, 1799, Edward Little married Hannah, daughter of Capt. Thomas and Hannah (Merrill) Brown, of Newbury, born Feb. 9, 1772, died Aug. 1, 1828. She was of one of the oldest New England families, being seventh in descent from Thomas Brown, who came from Malford, England, to Newbury in 1635. Her father, Thomas Brown, was a prosperous sea captain, and the uncle of Dr. Francis Brown, president of Dartmouth College.
Thomas Brown, born Nov. 4, 1799.
Josiah (2), whose sketch follows.
Sarah, born Oct. 29, 1802, died Jan. 14, 1810.
Hannah, born Feb. 25, 1804.
Edward Toppan, born Sept. 13, 1805, died Nov. 1 of that year.
Maria, born Oct. 22, 1806, died Feb. 22, 1817.
Eliza, born Sept. 20, 1808, died Oct. 19, 1809.
Edward Toppan, born Dec. 29, 1809.
Sarah, born May 18, 1811.
Moses, born June 24, 1812, died July 18 of that year.
Moses, born July 5, 1813, died Dec. 2 of that year.
About three years after the death of his first wife, Edward Little married Mrs. Hannah (Andrews) Chase, of Portland, Maine, widow of Tappan Chase, and dau. of Samuel and Hannah (Smith) Andrews. She was born June 20, 1789, and died June 14, 1868, outliving her husband nearly nineteen years.
(VII) Josiah (2), second son of Edward and Hannah (Brown) Little, was born at Newbury, Mass. Aprl 29, 1801, and died at Mount Desert, Aug. 9, 1865. He was educated at Bowdoin College, studied law with his father, practiced his profession for several years at Minot and Auburn, and afterwards engaged in trade and manufacturing. He was a man of excellent judgment, exact in all his dealings and persevering in the execution of his plans. He was a firm friend of good order and good morals, took a deep interest in all measures affecting the welfare of the community, and for many years was a member of the Congregational church, to whose support he was a liberal contributor. His kindliness of manner, sympathetic nature and improving conversation made him a delightful companion.
After a residence of many years in Maine, where he spent most of his active life, he returned to his old home in Newburyport to spend his latter days. He died suddenly at the age of sixty-four while on a pleasure trip to Somes' Sound, Mount Desert.
He was married four times. On Sept. 2, 1822, he married Mary Holt, daughter of Jonathan and Joanna (Cobb) Cummings, of Norway, Maine, who died at Minot, Oct. 6, 1829, age the age of twenty-five years six months.
1. Elizabeth Mary Todd, born at Lewiston, Sept. 24, 1823, married George Hutchins Ambrose, a lumber dealer in Chicago, and died at Bay City, Michigan, Jan. 10, 1904.
2. Edward, born at Lewiston, June 25, 1825, a merchant in Chicago, who died there March 14, 1898.
3. Francis Brown, born at Minot, June 20, 1827, a lumber dealer in Chicago, who died suddenly at Grand Haven, Michigan Aug. 29, 1904.
On March 30, 1830, Josiah Little married (second) Nancy Williams, daughter of William and Nancy (Brooks) Bradford, who died at Auburn, Nov. 20, 1834, aged twenty-six years seven months.
4. Mary Cummings, born in Auburn, Feb. 19, 1831, died Sept. 18 that year.
5. Josiah, born Sept. 10, 1832, a banker at Amboy, Illinois, who died in Chicago, March 5, 1906.
Josiah Little married (third) Sally, daughter of Thomas and Mehitable (Raymond) Brooks. She was born May 3, 1807, at Alfred, Maine, and died at Auburn April 15, 1849.
6. Charles Jenkins, born April 9, 1836, a manufacturer now residing at Newton, Mass.
7. Nancy Bradford, born Aug. 11, 1838, married Francis S. Spring, of San Francisco, where she died April 17, 1873.
8. Horace Chapin, whose sketch follows.
9. & 10. Two children named George died in infancy.
On May 20, 1850, Josiah Little married Charlotte Ann, sister of his third wife, who was born Dec. 26, 1817, and survived him, dying without children, Jan. 26, 1898.
(VIII) Horace Chapin, third son of Josiah (2) Little and his third wife, Sally (Brooks) Little, was born at Auburn, Maine, Jan. 14, 1840. He was educated at the Lewiston Falls Academy, and early entered upon the printing and publishing business at Portland, Maine. For a short period the late Hon. James G. Blaine acted as editor of the newspaper issued by his firm.
During the war he served as captain of Company B, Twenty-third Maine Infantry. He was subsequently engaged in the hardware business at Lewiston, Maine. In 1878 he was appointed postmaster, and held that office for two terms, proving a model official. In 1888 he was chosen mayor of his city, and was re-elected the following year. He had previously become a member of a long-established insurance firm, and, declining further public office, he bought the contraol of this business, to which he gave his attention during the remainder of his life.
He died March 14, 1896.
Capt. Little was a skilled accountant, being repeatedly called upon to serve as auditor for the state and large corporations, and a most public-spirited and energetic citizen. His personality made him one of the most popular and widely esteemed men in the community. Generous, sympathetic and eminently companionable, the circle of his friends was as wide was that of his acquaintance. He was a thirty-second degree Mason, and a companion in the Maine Commandery, Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the U.S.
Capt. Little married, Nov. 1, 1860, Rose J., daughter of Jacob Herrick and Ellen (Blake) Roak, who was born at Auburn May 6, 1843, and who survives him.
1. Nellie Roak, born at Portland, Maine, Aug. 15, 1861, a graduate of Bates College in 1883, wife of Professor Charles H. Clark, Sc. D., of Exeter, M. H.
2. Nancy Brooks, born at Auburn, Oct. 8 ,1864, of the class of 1887 at Bates College, the wife of Dr. Sherman G. Bonney, of Denver, Colorado.
3. Jacob Roak, whose sketch follows.
4. Charlotte Brooks, born at Lewiston, Feb. 12, 1872, a graduate of Bates College in 1893, the wife of Dr. Ernest W. Emery, of Denver, Colorado.
5. Rose, born April 1, 1873, the wife of Dr. Edgar Frank Conant, of Denver, Colorado.
6. Lucy, born at Lewiston, July 13, 1879, died April 3, 1893.
(IX) Jacob Roak, only son of Capt. Horace Chapin and Rosa (Roak) Little, was born at Lewiston, Maine, June 30, 1870. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, and was graduated from Bates College in 1892. The next two years he spent in a banking establishment at Denver, Colorado. He then returned to Lewiston, Maine, wehre he has since been a member, and is now the manager of the insurance firm of H. C. Little & Son, which has for a quarter of a century been one of the most prominent in Central Maine. Mr. Little inherits his father's business abili ty and social prominence, is a member of the Masons, a Knight Templar, and a Shriner; of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; and of the Maine Commandery, Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the U. S. He has represented his native city in the state legislature for four years.
He married Oct. 14, 1896, Mabel Hill, born Jan. 24, 1873, daughter of Henry and Henrietta Adelaide (True) Lowell, of Auburn, Maine.
(For preceding generations see George Little I).
Edward Toppan, son of Edward and Hannah (Brown) Little, was born in Newburyport, Mass., Dec. 29, 1809, and in 1812 accompanied his father and family to Portland, Maine, where his boyhood was spent. He attended the Portland Academy, then in charge of Bezaleel Cushman, and graduated in 1827 at Gardiner Lyceum, one of the earliest institutions in New England to offer a scientific as distinct from a classical course of study. He subsequently pursued the study of law in the office of his father at Danville, now Auburn, was admitted to the bar in 1833, and practiced his profession in that city, being for several years in partnership with Hon. Nahum Morrill. He was always actively interested in the welfare of the place, and the latter portion of his life was given almost entirely to business enterprises looking to the development of the water power on the Little Androscoggin river. For a score of years he was trustee and treasurer of the Lewiston Falls Academy, established by his father. He was selectman in 1847-48-54, and served as town agent and a member of the school committee. He also represented the town in the Maine legislature in 1847-55-64-66.
He was one of the first directors of the Maine Central Railroad Company and clerk of the board at his death. In June 1859, he became judge of probate for Androscoggin county, and held the office till Jan., 1863.
He married (first) Melinda, daughter of Rev. Weston B. and Harriet (Wines) Adams, of Lewiston Falls, by whom he had two sons:
Edward Adams, b. May 15, 1841, d. April 14, 1876.
Weston Tappan, b. April 17, 1842, d. Aug. 26, 1865.
He married (second) Lucy Jane, daughter of Zeba and Lepha (Peck) Bliss, who survived him, dying April 21, 1898, at Auburn.
George Thomas, b. May 14, 1857.
Judge Edward Poppan Little died in Auburn, Maine, Nov. 5, 1867.
(VIII) Edward Adams, son of Edward Toppan and Melinda (Adams) Little, was born in Auburn, Maine, May 15, 1841. He was educated at the Lewiston Falls Academy, now the Edward Little High School, engaged in the dry goods trade at Lewiston and subsequently became a shoe manufacturer at Auburn. He served as a director in the First National Bank, and in the city council of Auburn.
He died at Washington, D. C., April 14, 1876.
He married, Sept. 6, 1864, Susan Maria, daughter of William and Margaret (Duggan) Jordan, who survives him, residing with her sons in New York City.
1. Edward Toppan, born in Auburn, Maine, May 17, 1866, a graduate of Bowdoin College, A.B., 1877, A.M., 1890, LL.B. Boston Univ. Law School, 1890, formerly a lawyer in Phoenix, Arizona, and now in the U. S. civil service in New York City.
2. Horace, born Oct. 3, 1868, resides in New York City.
3. Mabelle Susan, born May 6, 1872, a student at Wellesley College, died Oct. 18, 1893, at Phoenix, Arizona.
(VIII) George Thomas, only son of Edward Toppan and Lucy Jane (Bliss) Little, was born in Auburn, Maine, May 14, 1857. He was prepared for college at the Edward Little High School, graduated at Bowdoin in 1877. After a year of travel in Europe, he taught Latin in Thayer Academy, Braintree, Mass., 1878-82, and at Bowdoin College 1882-85. He became acting librarian in 1883, and since 1889 has devoted himself entirely to the library, which during this period has more than doubled in size, and its 100,000 volumes are now stored in one of the finest college library buildings in the country. He has served as recorder of the American Library Association, is a member of the American Library Institute, and was appointed chairman of the Maine Library Commission in 1899 by Governor Powers, a postion he resigned in 1902. Mr. Little has been a member of the Maine Historical Society since 1879. He is the author of "Descendants of George Little of Newbury" (1877, enlarged edition 1882); "Memorial of Alpheus Spring Packard" (1885); "Historical Sketch of Bowdoin College" (1894), and has compiled the general catalogues and the obituary record of Bowdoin College since 1888. He received the honorary degree of Doctor of Letters from his alma mater in 1894.
He married, Dec. 18, 1884, Lilly Thayer Wright, daughter of George Homer and Sarah Ward (Weeks) Lane, of Braintree, Mass.
1. Rachel Thayer, born Oct. 2, 1885, at Auburn, a member of the class of 1909 at Smith College.
2. Ruth Bliss, born April 19, 1887, at Brunswick, graduated at Bradford Academy, 1908.
3. Edna, born and died June 12, 1889.
4. George Toppan, born April 28, 1891.
5. Noel Charlton, born Dec. 25, 1895.
(For ancestry see George Little I).
(IV) Stephen, second child and eldest son of Moses and Sarah (Jaques) Little, born May 19, 1719, died Aug. 30, 1793, aged seventy-four. He lived for over twenty years after his marriage at Turkey Hill, afterwards upon a farm he owned on Sandy Lane, now North Atkinson street. He was one of the grantees of Newbury, Vermont, 1763, and also owned land in Bath and Hampstead, N. H., and in Cumberland and Lincoln counties, Maine. He was representative in the legislature in 1776, and probably held other town offices. He was a man of sterling integrity, a prominent member and deacon of Dr. Spring's church at Newburyport.
He married (first) June 5, 1743, Judith, daughter of Joshua and Sarah (Coffin) Bailey, born Feb. 15, 1724, died Aug. 19, 1764; married (second) Mary Long, who died Oct. 4, 1798, aged seventy-five years. She was the daughter of Benjamin Long.
Joshua (died young), Stephen, Joshua, Abner, Judith, Temperance, David and Jonathan (twins) and Jacob.
(V) Stephen (2), second child of Stephen (1) and Judith (Bailey) Little, born May 30, 1745, died July 11, 1800. He was a physician and lived in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. At the outbreak of the revolution he was quite prominent as a royalist, and was exiled by the state legislature, with Governor Wentworth and several others. He afterward served as a surgeon in the British navy and never returned to this country, but died in London, July 11, 1800.
He married Sarah, daughter of Dr. Clement Jackson and sister of Dr. Hall Jackson, both distinguished physicians of Portsmouth. She died at Newbury, Feb. 13, 1806, aged fifty-eight.
Sarah, Judith, Mary, Stephen and Elizabeth.
(VI) Stephen (3), fourth child and only son of Dr. Stephen (3) and Sarah (Jackson) Little, born March 26, 1774, died March 22, 1852, aged seventy-eight. He was for several years a merchant in Portsmouth, N. H., and lost his entire property in one of the disastrous fires which visited that city in the early part of the nineteenth century. In 1807 he removed to Portland, Maine, where he continued his mercantile pursuits until two or three years previous to his death, when a severe accident diabled him for active business.
He married, March, 1797, Rebecca, widow of William Caldwell, and daughter of Isaac Dodge, of Ipswich, who died in Portland, Sept. 23, 1847, in the seventy-first year of her age.
Harriet, Mary Pearson, Sarah Jackson, Hall Jackson, Ann Huntress, William Dodge, James Tucker, Francis Douglass, Isaac Prince, Charles Farley, Rebecca Caldwell, Susan Farley and Edward Payson.
(VII) Hall Jackson, fourth child and eldest son of Stephen (3) and Rebecca (Dodge) (Caldwell) Little, born in Portsmouth, July 5, 1803, died in Portland, Maine, Sept. 30, 1864. He removed to Portland and was a dealer in stationery and manufacturer of blank books. In religion he was a Congregationalist. He was a Whig until the dissolution of that party, and afterward a Republican. He was for a time a member of the city government.
He married (first) 1827, Frances M., daughter of Ebenezer and Henrietta (Lowther) Sumner, who died in 1860; married (second) Mrs. Ellen W. Eveleth, of Windham, widow of ____ Eveleth, and daughter of John and Huldah (Hawkes) White. She was born 1835, died March 23, 1895, aged sixty years.
Child of 2d wife:
(VIII) Frank Hall, only son of Hall J. and Ellen W. (White) (Eveleth) Little, was born in Portland, June 18, 1860. He attended the public schools, was prepared for college by a private tutor, and in 1877 entered Bowdoin College, from which he graduated with the class of 1881. Soon after graduation he entered the employ of Dana & Company, importers of salt, and served them till 1886. He then went with Duncan Brothers & Company, oil dealers, remaining until 1891, when the personnel and name of the company were changed, and the F. H. Little Oil Company, a corporation, was organized, with Mr. Little as treasurer and general manager. Mr. Little is a staunch Republican and served his party in the city council in 1891-92, and in the board of aldermen in 1894-95. He is known as an energetic and shrewd business man, and always alive to the business interests of the city. In 1908 he was elected vice-president of the Portland Board of Trade, of which he has been an efficient member for several years. He is a member of the Athletic and Yacht clubs.
He married, in Portland, Oct. 19, 1882, Ella L., born in Indiana, Aug. 9, 1860, daughter of Levi A. and Lucia (Tyrrell) Gray. Mr. Grey is proprietor of Gray's Portland Business College.
Lucia E., born Sept. 30, 1883.
Anita G., born July 6, 1885.
Ruth D., born April 13, 1894.
(For ancestry see George Little I).
(IV) Paul Little, eleventh child and youngest son of Moses and Sarah (Jaques) Little, was born in Newbury, April 1, 1740. He was a goldsmith, and in 1761 went from Newbury to Falmouth (now Portland), Maine, where he followed his trade, also engaging in commerce. The bombardment of the town by the British in 1776 destroyed much of his property, his losses amounting in value to nearly seven hundred pounds, and he shortly afterward removed to Windham, Maine, where he engaged in farming. He served as selectman in Windham, also as trial justice, and was highly respected. He died there Feb. 11, 1818.
He married (first) May 20, 1762, Hannah Emery, born Feb. 12, 1744, died Sept. 4, 1771, daughter of Stephen and Hannah (Rolfe) Emery, of Newbury. August 30, 1772, he married (second) Mrs. Sarah Morton Souther, widow of Timothy Souther; she was born in Ipswich, Mass. in 1743, and died in Windham, Sept. 26, 1797. For this third wife he married Mrs. Sarah Emerson (nee Reddington), widow of Samuel Emerson, of Haverhill, Mass., born March 9, 1762, daughter of Abraham Reddington of Boxford, Mass. She died May 25, 1817.
In addition to three children who died in infancy, he had...
Hannah and Paul, who were of his first union.
Mary, Timothy, Moses and Thomas, of his second union.
Sarah, who was of his third marriage.
(V) Timothy Little, M. D., second child and eldest son of Paul and Sarah N. (Souther) Little, was born in Portland, Oct. 27, 1776. He attended Phillips Exeter Academy, studied medicine preliminarily with Dr. Jewell, of Berwick, and took his degree at Dartmouth College. From about 1806 to 1824 he practiced in New Gloucester, Maine, as the leading physician in that locality, and removing to Portland in the latter year, he resided there until his death, Nov. 27, 1849.
He was thoroughly devoted to his profession, contributing much to its literature; directing the preliminary studies of several students; collected a large anatomical museum, and took a profound interest in the Maine Medical School at Brunswick, Maine, which derived much benefit from the use of his collections and preparations.
Having accepted the teachings of Emanuel Swedenborg, he founded a Swedenborgian church in Portland, and when occasion reqired he officiated as pastor.
Dr. Little married Elizabeth Lowell, of Portland, born Oct. 10, 1777, died Nov. 24, 1853.
1. Haller, born May 3, 1808; died May 19, 1876.
2. John Lowell, see succeeding paragraph.
3. William Wallace, born Sept. 11, 1811, died Aug. 28, 1816.
4. Lowell, born April 23, 1814, died Sept. 4, 1816.
5. Charles Henry, born Aug. 9, 1817; married (first) Mary D. Whorf; (second) Carrie Clark, of Dorchester, Mass.; had one son by first marriage, Charles Wilkins, b. Feb. 2, 1847. Charles H. Little was officially connected with the Boston water department for considerably more than thirty years, seving with marked ability as cashier from the time of its establishment.
(VI) Captain John Lowell Little, second child of Dr. Timothy and Elizabeth (Lowell) Little, was born in New Glouctester, April 13, 1809. When sixteen years old he entered the merchant marine service, and in the short space of seven years had advanced through the different grades to the position of master. In 1833, during his second voyage as a captain, his ship was totally dismantled during a furious gale, and he was finally rescued by a passing vessel after having drifted about in mid-ocean for more than a week. A short time later, while in command of another ship, he rescued a vessel's officers and crew under similar circumstances.
At the breaking out of the civil war in 1861 he was in the port of New Orleans, and nothing but prompt and decisive action on his part prevented his ship from being confiscated by the Southern Confederacy. At the conclusion of that voyage he abandoned the sea. He was at one time a resident of Kennebunkport, and he spent his declining years with his son in Dorchester, Mass.
Capt. Little married, Sept. 15, 1834, Susan W. Walker, of Kenne.....
[trans. note: a line or two cut off the top of the scanned page image....]
.......aged fifty two years eight months.
1. Lucy Augusta, born June 13, 1836.
2. Clara Greenleaf, born Oct. 6, 1838, died March 5, 1839.
3. Sarah Gerrish, born July 3, 1840.
4. Abba Louisa, born June 7, 1842, died Sept. 8, 1846.
5. George Washington, mentioned below.
6. Susan Elizabeth, born Jan. 17, 1853.
(VII) George Washington, fifth child and only son of Capt. John L. and Susan W. (Walker) Little, was born in Kennebunkport, Feb. 9, 1847. He began his education in the public schools of his native town, and concluded his studies at "Little Blue," a well-known preparatory school at Farmington, Maine. Prior to his majority he went to sea in the merchant service, and during his two and one-half years as a sailor made a voyage around Cape Horn to San Francisco, thence to Liverpool and back to the U. S. Deciding to remain ashore, he secured a position in a wholesale drug house in Portland, but shortly afterward he went to Springfield, Mass., as assistant cashier in the office of the Western Railroad Company, now a part of the Boston and Albany division of the New York Central system. He was subsequently appointed paymaster of the New York & New England railway, and when that corporation was consolidated with the New York, New Haven & Hartford railway, he was retained in the same department, being at the present time paymaster for the entire system, with headquarters in New Haven. This position is both responsible and exacting, requiring the general supervision of a weekly payroll containing the account of forty thousand employees, and his annual disbursements amount to many millions of dollars. Although Mr. Little's duties necessitate his presence in his office in New Haven, he prefers to reside in Kennebunkport, and the little time he is able to spare from his business he spends in his native town.
Politically he acts with the Republican party. His fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic order.
On Jan. 14, 1873, Mr. Little was united in marriage with Annie C. Burgess, of Syracuse, New York.
1. William Walker, born Oct. 7, 1873; was graduated from Yale University in 1895, and is a civil engineer in the service of the New York, New Haven & Hartford railway.
2. Mary Agnes, born June 22, 1882, married Aug. 29, 1906, Ralph Andrews, of Kennebunk.
(VI) Michael, son of Col. Josiah and Sarah (Toppan) Little, was born March 14, 1771, and died March 16, 1830. He graduated at Dartmouth College in 1792, and was engaged in farming at Minot, Maine, where he died.
He married (first), Oct. 19, 1800, Sarah Stover, who died July 28, 1801. Married (second) Elizabeth, daughter of Ebenezer and Elizabeth (Wallingford) Ricker. She was born Nov. 5, 1776, and died March 18, 1864.
Josiah S., next mentioned.
(VII) Josiah Stover, only child of Michael and Sarah (Stover) Little, was born July 9, 1801, and died April 2, 1862. In consequence of his mother's death, which occurred within three weeks after his birth, he was taken into the family of his grandfather, Col. Josiah Little, of Newbury, Mass., where he grew up. He was early destined for business, but an accident befell him and he was sent to college, where he graduated in the class with Henry W. Longfellow, Franklin Pierce and other brilliant men. To his studies, preparatory and collegiate, he gave himself with an ardent and persevering ambition; nor did he fail to attain his object. To be proclaimed the best scholar in the best class that had graduated at Brunswick was no mean honor. Having studied the usual term in the office of Fessenden & Deblois, he practed law in Portland four years and then relinquished the profession for more active business. He repeatedly represented Portland in the legislature, and was twice speaker of the house of representatives. He was also several times a candidate for congress, but failed of election, as his was the minority party.
In politics a Whig while that party existed, when it broke up he preferred the Democrats to the Republicans, but it was chiefly with railroad enterprise that he identified his exertions and fortune and name. By appointment of the city of Portland in 1844 he was associated with Judge Preble to present to the authorities and citizens of Montreal the project of a arilway communicating between that place and Portland, and when in 1848 Judge Preble resigned the presidency of the company Mr. Little was chosen in the place and held that office seven years. It was he who first suggested to the board of directors the idea of leasing the road to the Grand Trunk railway of Canada. With all the negotiations for that lease, which proved so great a relief to the stockholders and.....
[A line or two appear to have been cut off the top of the scan of this page......I hate when that happens...]
.....By an accession at the death of his grandfather, Mr. Little was placed at his ease, and thus missed the stimulus which might have pressed him forward to eminence in the forum, or what might have drawn him into the more dazzling and turbulent area of politics.
He married, 1833, Abba Isabella Chamberlain, who was born in Vermont, 1816, died 1893, daughter of Jsoeph Chamberlain, of Boston. Mrs. Little was a brilliant woman and shone much in society.
After Mr. Little's death his widow married (second) George T. Davis, of Greenfield, Mass., who served some years as a congressman from Massachusetts. Mrs. Davis continuted to reside in Portland after her second marriage.
(VIII) Abba Isabella, only child of Josiah S. and Abba Isabella (Chamberlian) Little, was born in Portland, 1840, married Charles B. Merrill, and died at Portland, Maine, in October, 1891.
(For preceding generation see George Little I).
(II) Captain Joseph, second child and eldest son of George and Alice (Poor) Little, was born Sept. 22, 1653, died Sept. 6, 1740. Captain Joseph was much more prominent in town affairs than his father. He was tythingman in 1685, and selectman in 1692-93, 1704-05. He seems to have always been connected with the established (Congregational) church, of which he and his wife were members. It was then the custom to seat the congregation according to their rank in the community, and in the allotment of seats after the erection of a new house of worship in 1700, a quite prominent one was given him.
In 1688 he was taxed for two houses, twelve acres of plowed land, twelve of meadow, twenty of pasture, two horses, one colt, five hogs, thirty sheep and thirty-two head of cattle. His lands were afterwards largely increased by inheritance and numerous purchases. He is believed to have lived at Turkey Hill from his marriage till about 1730, when he removed to the part of Newbury now Newburyport, where several of his sons were engaged in trade. He distributed his real estate among his sons before his death, and in his will, dated Jan. 27, 1727, and proved Oct. 1, 1740, he divides his household goods between his daughters Judith Moody and Sarah Thing, and gives one-third of the remainder of his estate to his daughter-in-law, Mary Little;
[Aaarrgg, another line cut off]
.....ministrator with the will annexed. The appraisal was 173 pounds, 8s 6d.
He married, Oct. 31, 1677, Mary, daughter of Tristram and Judith (Somerby) (Greenleaf) Coffin, born Nov. 12, 1657, died Nov. 28, 1725.
Judith, Joseph, George, Sarah, Enoch, Tristram, Moses, Daniel and Benjamin.
(III) Deacon Daniel, eighth child and sixth son of Capt. Joseph and Mary (Coffin) Little, was born Jan. 13, 1692. He early went to Haverhill, where he was engaged in business as a tanner for several years. In February, 1728 he was chosen deacon of the church. He also held several town offices. On the incorporation of Hampstead, New Hampshire, which was originally part of Haverhill, he was named in the charter to call the first town meeting. He lived there till his death in Nov., 1777, a leading man and influential citizen, serving several times as selectman and moderator. He held for several years a magistrate's commission, did a large amount of legal business, and solemnized many marriages.
According to tradition he was noted for his extensive knowledge of the Bible. In his will, dated Dec. 31, 1770, he gives his son Daniel 40 pounds, divides his household goods between his daughters Sarah Ayer, Ruth Smith and the heirs of Elizabeth Kimball; gives a cow to each of his grandsons John and Joseph Tallant, and leaves the rest of his property, real and personal, to his son Samuel.
His first two children were born in Newbury, the others in Haverhill. He married (first) in 1712, Abiah, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Ayer) Clement of Haverhill, who was born Sept. 12, 1692, died Aug. 24, 1766. He married (second) Feb. 11, 1768, Hannah Morrill, widow of Jacob Currier, of Hampstead.
Children, all by 1st wife:
Samuel, Joseph, Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary, Abiah, Daniel, Hannah, Judith, Ruth and Abigial.
(IV) Samuel, eldest child of Deacon Daniel and Abiah (Clement) Little, was born in Newbury, April 23, 1714, died Jan. 16, 1798. He lived in Atkinson, and soon afterwards in Hampstead, N. H. In each place he was a prominent citizen. In the latter he served as selectman for several years, and was twelve times moderator of the annual town meeting. He was a member of the provincial congress which met at Exeter in 1775-76, and was an earnest and active patriot. He held for many years a magistrate's commission, and transacted considerable legal business.
He joined the First Church in Plaistown, May 22, 1737.
He married (first) Hannah Sewell, and (second) Dec. 14, 1738, Sarah Follansbee, born March, 1721, died March 5, 1805.
Children, all by 2d wife:
Moses, Joshua, Mary, Abigail, Sarah, Daniel, Elizabeth, Tristram, Samuel and Abiah.
(V) Captain Joshua, second child of Samuel and Sarah (Follansbee) Little, was born Sept. 17, 1741, died Nov. 3, 1821. He served as a lieutenant in the revolutionary war at Castine and at Crown Point, and was for several years at the head of a company in the state militia. "The Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Revolution" contains the following record:
"Joshua Little, First Lieutenant, Capt. Mecres (also given Morres) Carr's (9th) co., 2d Lincoln Co. regt., of Mass. militia; list of officers chosen by the several companies in said regiment, as returned by Joseph North, field officer; ordered in council Aug. 23, 1776, that said officers be commissioned; reported commissioned July (?) 23, 1776; also 1st Lieutenant, Capt. Mecres Carr's detachment, Col. Joseph North's regt.; service, 1 day; detachment assisted at the retaking of the mastship "Gruell"; roll dated Newcastle, Sept. 15, 1777; also Lieutenant, Capt. John Blunt's Co., Maj. William Lithgow's detachment of militia; service from Sept. 10, 1779, to Nov. 10, 1779, 2 mos., at Penobscot, defending frontiers of Lincoln Co."
He was one of the first settlers in Whitefield, Maine, and a very active business man. He was engaged in farming, lumbering, and owned and operated a saw mill. He represented the town in the Mass. legislature when Whitefield was incorporated.
He died Nov. 3, 1821.
He married (first) in Brunswick, Maine, Lydia Brown, and (second) Jan. 31, 1794, in Hampstead, N. H., Mrs. Ruhamah (Burnham) Blaisdell, who died Dec., 1849, aged ninety-two.
Children by 1st wife:
Joshua, Samuel, Abijah and Daniel.
Child by 2d wife:
(VI) Samuel (2), second son of Joshua and Lydia (Brown) Little, was born Sept. 2, 1772, died Dec. 20, 1849. He was a farmer and lived in Pittston, Maine, where he died. He married, 1799, Sally, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Platt) Noyes, who died July 1, 1836, aged fifty-eight.
Susan, John, Moses, David, Eli, Sarah, Samuel, Mary Ann, Julia, Hannah, Sylvester.
(VII) Samuel (3), fifth son and seventh child of Samuel (2) and Sally (Noyes) Little, was born in Pittston, June 3, 1811. He went to Whitefield in 1834, and was engaged in farming there till 1867, when he removed to Bowdoinham, where he continues to reside (1908).
He is a Baptist in relgious belief, a Democrat in politics, and while in Whitefield was selectman, twon treasurer, and held other town offices.
He married, Nov. 21, 1833, Hannah, daughter of John and Sarah (Hutchings) Boynton, of Bristol.
Henrietta, Albion, Hartwell, Harriet, Lois Boynton, Celia, Henrietta Augusta, Melissa, Amanda, John and Frank (twins).
(VIII) Albion, second child and eldest son of Samuel (3) and Hannah (Boynton) Little, was born in Whitefield, Jan. 22, 1836. He received his education in the district schools of Whitefield and at the Alna high school. After teaching several years he went to Portland and was engaged as a clerk in a dry goods store. In 1861 he entered into a partnership with his employer, and from a flourishing business they passed into the wholesale. On the retirement of the senior partner in 1872, the firm name changed to A. Little & Company, under which a large and successful business has since been carried on.
Mr. Little is a member of the Baptist church, and in politics has always been a Republican. He has held many positions of honor and trust, served as president of the common council of Portland, and as alderman of that city. In 1877 he was appointed trustee of the state reform school, and soon after chosen president of the board, a position he filled with marked success, manifesting much interest in the management of the school, which has taken high rank among kindred institutions.
He married, Dec. 24, 1861, Sarah Ellen, born in Portland, Jan. 12, 1840, daughter of Deacon Henry R. and Sarah (Hill) Hart.
1. Alice May, born May 26, 1863, married E. F. Davis.
2. Florence Kingman, born Aug. 18, 1865, married Fremont O. Keene.
3. Albion Hart, died young.
4. Sarah Ellen, born Nov. 9, 1869, married George C. Deake.
5. Albion Henry, mentioned below.
6. Maud Garfield, born Sept. 19, 1881, married Moulton H. Neale.
(IX) Albion Henry, fifth child and second son of Albion and Sarah Ellen (Hart) Little, was born in Portland June 21, 1876. He attended the Portland public schools, graduating from the high school in 1895. He then took up the study of medicine, taking the course at the Maine Medical College, where he received the degree of M. D. in 1899. Subsequently he took a course at the Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary, ....
[rats, another line cut off the top]
....making a specialty of diseases of the eye and ear, and has met with gratifying success. He is a member of the Cumberland County Medical Society, the Portland Medical Society, the Maine Medical Society and the American Association of Medicine and Science, also of the Portland Athletic, the Yacht and Canoe clubs.