Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


It is worthy of historical mention that of the early emigrants who came to the old Bay colony from 1635 to 1650, Henry Adams, of Quincy, was the progenitor of two presidents of the U. S.; Moses Cleveland, of Woburn, of another; Edward Garfield, of Watertown, of still another, and Samuel Lincoln, of Hingham, of yet one more - all within the radius of a small territory. These people left England to escape the ecclesiastical oppression so prevalent in the old country. There were besides, Samuel Lincoln, form whom our lamented president comes down, his brothers Thomas, "the weaver," and Daniel.
Abraham Lincoln's lineage passed to Kentucky by way of Berks county, Pennsylvania, and Rockingham county, Virginia, making short stops at each point. From this Samuel came down that Levi Lincoln, who was the sixth governor of Massachusetts, and that Levi Lincoln, who was the eleventh governor of Massachusetts, and that Enoch Lincoln, who was the fourth governor of Maine. Three other Thomas Lincolns there were besides, and to distinguish them, one was called Thomas, "the miller," another Thomas "the husandman," and yet another Thomas, "the cooper." The Dennysville Lincolns come from Thomas, "the cooper." They were all bound together by ties of consanguinity, and hailed from Norfolk, England.

(I) Thomas Lincoln, "the cooper," came to Hingham, Mass. in 1635, and the next year was granted five acres of land. He afterward exchanged this lot for one on Beal street. He also owned a small triangular close conveyed to him at what is now the junction of North and Lincoln streets. Besides his cooperage trade, he was a malster. His seat in the meeting house was in "ye pew under ye pulpit."
He died at the house on North street, Sept. 28, 1691. The old homestead is still in the possession of the family (1908).
He married, in England, Avitha, daughter of William Lane, and she died Feb. 13, 1682.
Thomas, Joseph, Benjamin, Deborah and Sarah.

(II) Benjamin, third son of Thomas and Avith (Lane) Lincoln, was born May 7, 1643, in Hingham, and died Sept. 27, 1700, having completed fifty-seven summers. His father gave him the malt house, and he continued the business and resided at the old homestead. He held the office of seleceman.
He married Sarah, daughter of John and Margaret Fearing. She was of Hingham parentage and died Nov. 26, 1716.
John, Margaret, Benjamin (which is a traditonal name in this family), Thomas, Jeremiah, Jonathan and Sarah.

(III) Deacon Benjamin (2), son of Benjamin (1) and Margaret (Fearing) Lincoln, was born in Hingham Jan. 16, 1671, and followed in the footsteps of his father and grandfather as a maltster. He was town clerk, selectman, and deacon of the church.
His will was dated Feb. 11, 1724, and he died suddenly July 10, 1767.
He married Mary, daughter of Lieut. James and Sarah (Lane) Lewis.
Mary and the traditional Benjamin.

(IV) Hon. Benjamin (3), only son of Deacon Benjamin (2) and Mary (Lewis) Lincoln, was born in Hingham, Aug. 17, 1699. He clung to the family trade of maltster, and was seleceman for sixteen years, succeeding his father as town clerk, representatie to the general court, and was a member of his Majesty's council. He always enjoyed the esteem and confidence of his townspeople, and accumulated a modest property for those days. He resided on the patriomonial estate.
He married Mary, daughter of Capt. Thomas and Leah (Buckland) Loring, born in Hingham, Sept. 16, 1696. He married (second) Elizabeth, widow of Capt. John Norton, whose maiden name was Thaxter.
Children, all by 2d wife:
Mary, Elizabeth, Sarah, Hannah, Olive, Benjamin, Bela and Theodore.

(V) Major-General Benjamin (4), eldest son of Hon. Benjamin (3) and Elizabeth (Thaxter) Lincoln, was born Jan. 24, 1733, and died May 9, 1810. He received the rudiments of an ordainary English education, such as was common to the youth of that day, and made the msot of his opportunities, for his correspondence shows him to have been a correct writer, using good and forcible language. He had an active and inquiring mind, and was a great reader, storing his memory with learning such as was useful to him in after years in the important posts, both miliary and civic, he was called to undertake. He was known and trusted as a man of correct principles and sound discretion, and was hence put forward by his constituents to act in all public matter of the infant colony, and held all the minor town offices. He was a farmer by occupation, and resided on the old Lincoln homestead. The troubles with the mother country were brewing, though the "cloud was no bigger than a man's hand." Hingham was quick to act, and in 1768 a meeting of the inhabitants was warned to send delegates to the Faneuil Hall convention. Here young Lincoln appeared on the committee to prepare instructions to the delegates. In 1772 he represented Hingham in the provincial legislature, and was secretary of the first provincial congress, at Salem, of which John Hancock was president. He acted as president of the third provincial congress at Watertown in 1775. He was elected to both the general court and the council. Resigning the former, he wrote: "Although, gentlemen, I am removed from the House of Representatives and therefore am not considered as your particular representative to the General Court, yet that will not relieve from my mind the great obligation I am under to the town of Hingham. I recollect with gratitude that they have conferred on me most, if not all, the places of honor that were in their power to bestow."
His military services by which he obtained his passport to fame began as muster master in 1755. In 1771 he was made major of the Third regiment, and one year later promoted to lieutenant-colonel. In 1776 he was commissioned brigadier-general, and in this capacity he came in contact with Wasington, whose confidence and esteem he possessed to the last. In May he won the stars of the major-general, and had the chief direction of affairs in Massachusetts throughout the summer. On June 11 he took possession of the heights at Hull, and some tramp vessels which had lingered after Howe's evacuation to annoy shipping were driven off by General Lincoln. After the disastrous battle of Long Island, General Lincoln was ordered with a part of his command to proceed to New York and reenforce Washington, and the engagement at White Plains took place, in which Lincoln's division participated. General Heath was in command at Peekskill, and in writing to him Washington said: "I would wish you to consult and co-operate with General Lincoln, of whose judgment and abilities I entertain a very high opinion." General Lincoln was recommended by Washington to a position in the Continental army, and the appointment accordingly forthcoming. Lincoln was detached to Vermont to operate against Burgoyne, who was carrying terror to the people of that region. The general succeeded in quieting their fears, kept a sharp lookout for the enemy, and had the situation well in hand.
At the battle of Bemis Heights, Lincoln was leading a body of men around in the rear of Burgoyne's army, and was met by some British, who shot him in the leg. It was a dangerous wound, and for three months he was confined at Albany under the surgeon's care.
In token of his love and respect for him, Washington presented him a set of epaulets sword knots. On Sept. 25 he being able to resume command, was ordered to the department of the South. He fought the battle of Stono Ferry, with a loss to the Americans, but the failure was due to the non-arrival of General Moultrie. Lincoln also led his column at the storming of Savannah, but the arrival of Maitland with reenforcements saved the day for the British. General Lincoln was made prisoner of war at the capitulation of Charlestown, and was allowed by Sir Henry Clinton to proceed to Philadelphia on parole. Although disasters followed in the wake of each other, nobody cast any blame on General Lincoln. Washington still had confidence in him. Of him Colonel Lee said: "So established was the reputation of the vanquished General, that he continued to enjoy the undiminished respect and confidence of congress, the army, and the Commander-in-Chief."
[trans note: a line or so are missing]
.....Massachusetts, Lincoln received the command against the insurgents. Washington wrote him at this time in friendly council and encouragement. The remaining portion of his career must nove be passed rapidly over. He did yeoman service to have his state adopt the federal constitution, whose fate hung long in the balance. He was appointed collector of the port of Boston, and a commissioner to treat with the Indians. In 1788 he was lieutenant-governor of Massachusetts, and president of the Cincinnati.
The old general's last days were shadowed and embarrassed by his endorsing notes for his friend, Genearl Knox, who had made large purchases of Maine real estate and the enterprise had forced him into bankruptcy. This involved Lincoln. Some of his friends advised him to place his property out of his hands. The battle-scarred veteran shook his head. "Whe I endorsed those notes," said he, "I had a clear real estate. This fact was generally known, and was the basis of that credit which was given to my endorsements. I could not, therefore, consistently with my ideas of right, make any change in my apparent property. I could not sacrifice my own opinion to that of my good friends, for they could not enter into my feelings on the subject, nor quiet a mind conscious of having done what it could not approve." Everything went, even to the old homestead. The land in Maine, however, which Knox conveyed to the general proved more valauble than at first supposed, and was sufficient to adjust all liabilities. It is a satisfaction to be able to state that in the end Lincoln came out aboveboard and suffered no loss for his moral and upright conduct, and left something for his children.
He married, Jan. 15, 1756, Mary, daughter of Elijah and Elizabeth (Baker) Cushing, of Pembroke, Mass., who was born April 22, 1739.
Benjamin, Mary, Elizabeth, Sarah, Theodore, Martin, Bela, Martin, Edmund, Hannah and Deborah.

(VI) Theodore, second son of General Benjamin (4) and Mary (Cushing) Lincoln, was born Dec. 30, 1763. He went to Dennysville, Washington county, Maine, probably on account of his father's real estate investments there. He and one or two other pioneers to that place spent their first night in Levi Scott's camp, on Hobart's Point, near where the road divides into branches, one to Mr. Vose's, one to Mr. Allan's wharf. As soon as possible the party went to work building the mill, also a small frame house. Mr. Lincoln
[trans note: another line or two hidden by top of pg on the scan of this book. sorry.]

.......on which he erecred a large two-story house, which in 1886 was inhabited by the Lincoln family, and for a number of years after its erection the Indians used to make it a stopping place on their way to and from Machias, camping on quilts and robes before the great fireplace in the old kitchen. Mr. Lincoln was familiar and friendly to all, loved anecdotes and told them well, had a keen sense of the ludicrous, and had a cheering word for everybody. His activity was irrepressible, and after a severe fall in his old age had diabled him, he had a low carriage built, and kept a horse that knew his infirmities, and with these he traveled not only the highways, but the fields, the pastures, and the woods, overseeing his farming and milling to the last.
He married Hannah Mayhew, who formerly acted in the capacity of housekeeper for him, and who brought into his home refinement and the love of order and beauty, as well as thrift and economy, together with the culture of those ideas and sentiments which out-of-door employments and excessive cares from the details of domestic drudgery are apt to repress.
1. Theodore, born 1800; served as president of the Temperance Society in 1834, as selectman one year, as town treasurer one year, again as selectman, assessor and overseer of the poor from 1832 to 1846; enlised in the Sixth Regiment Maine Volunteers for three years, serving as sergeant, lieutenant and captain, having command of regiment when disbanded; died Nov. 9, 1865; married Elizabeth, daughter of Hannah Lincoln, and granddaughter of General Lincoln.
2. Hannah, born 1801, married Ichabod R. Chadbourne.
3. Benjamin, born 1802; was without doubt the man who conferred the greatest distinction upon the town of Dennysville; from his father he inherited a love of nature, a zest of life, and a buoyant spirit; from his mother he derived a sensitive spirit, an unselfish and philanthropic sentiment, and the capacity for speculative and abstract thought. He graduated at Bowdoin College in his twentieth year; spent five years in the study of medicine, and commenced practice in the city of Boston in the autumn of 1827. The following year, having accepted an invitation to deliver a course of lectures at the University of Burlington, Vermont, on anatomy and physiology, he was elected to the professorship there of those branches of science, and took up his residence in that town, acquiring at once a high reputation also as a practicing physician. He died in 1835, at the early age of thirty-two.
4. Mary, born 1804, died unmarried.
5. Bela, born 1805, married Elizabeth Rice.
6. Sarah, born 1807, married Spencer Tinkham.
7. Edmund, born 1809, died unmarried.
8. Thomas, see forward.

(VII) Thomas, younger son of Theodore and Hannah (Mayhew) Lincoln, was born in Dennysville, March 27, 1812, and died there March 27, 1883, his seventy-first birthday, at the old homestead where he was born, and where he had always lived. The years of his life passed away quietly and, in the main, uneventfully. The wellbeing of his little family, the care of his large farm occupying largely his time and attention. He was a studious, retiring, but very companionable man. His large intellectual powers were well improved, and his agreeable and useful conversation pleased and profited his numerous friends. Thougtful, kind, conscientious and liberal, he endeared himself to the poor. In his earlier days he was politically an abolitionist, but connected himself with the Republican party at the time of its organization. He loved his country, but never filled any political office. He loved his native town, but never accepted any municipal place, excepting that of school committeeman.
Only ten days priot to his decease he sat in his accustomed place in the church, singing the hymns and joining with the congregation in the Lord's prayer, in apparent health. The Sentinel of April 11, 1883, contained a very just and fitting obituary notice of Mr. Lincoln, written by a friend who knew him well. It does not seem, however, that one brief paragraph ought to be all the tribute paid to him whose rare gifts and excellencies furnish so much that is worthy of extended record.
Mr. Lincoln will be chiefly missed in the old home in which he has always lived. He was a man of such quiet, retiring spirit that he was fully known only by his immediate family and a few other friends. And yet it is remarkable that a man so modest and unobtrusive should be so widely known and esteemed and loved. When the word spread theough the community that he was dangerously ill, it was the universal feeling that we could not spare him yet. We could not believe that we were to be so greatly bereaved without him. It seemed to us that he was just entering upon a period of old age. Unlike many people when they are beginning to grow old, his interest in all good things seemed to increase as his years increased. He allowed new cares to be laid upon him. At a time of life when most people think less and less of others and more of themselves, he thought more of others' burdens and less of himself; his sympathies widened; his charities increased. He died in the midst of active usefulness. Never were the calls upon him for advice, for aid, for sympathy more numerous than during the last five years. With a sacred sense of responsibility, he cheerfully, with increasing cheerfulness, responded to the many calls with which he was burdened. He never knew what it was to be poor, but no heart ever beat with warmer sympathy for the poor. When sending his crops to market, it was his custom to keep back a portion, that when the next sowing time came he might be able to help those who, through misfortune or neglect, were in need. The many and varied calls upon him for help must have consumed considerable of his time, but he never complained of the service required of him. His benevolent work was done so quietly that scarcely any one knew the extent of it. He literally obeyed the injunction, "Let not thy left hand kno what they right hand doeth."
Mr. Lincoln was deeply interested in the moral and religious and educational interests of the town. He gave liberally for the support of the Gospel. He was very regular in his attendance at public worship. To him the church was a place for communion with God, for religous contemplation. A few people will never forget the unusual interest he manifested in the services, on the last Sabbath he was present, only ten days before his death. He was always a judicious cousellor in educational matters. He was an officer of our Library Association from its organization in 1866. Not a little of the excellence of our library is due to his cultivated literary taste and his instinctive choice of the best books.
The following extracts are taken from a letter written by Hon. George F. Talbot, a friend of Mr. Lincoln: "Perhaps the hasty judgment of some of his friends may have been that he did not achieve either in reputation or influence that position which his talents and education seemed to make easily attainable. His mind of great and comprehensiveness had been furnished and enlarged by an appreciative reading of the best books, and as he grew older his taste in reading became more discriminating and severe. There was nothing in philosophic discussion, or metaphysical speculation or poetic inspiration, too deep or subtle for his understanding and sympathy, and he liked best the few great authors, who discover new truths or who give new directions to the world's thoughts. The tendency of his mind seemed in early life toward the natural sciences, and stimulated and encouraged by his elder brother, Dr. Benjamin Lincoln, he seemed likely to devote himself to the service of the community where he lived, in the profession of a physician. But his health was always delicate; he was unambitious of wealth or of reputation, and he shrank with instinctive delicacy from the competitions and antagonisms in which all the honors of a professional career must be won. Mr. Lincoln entered heartily and with characteristic ardor of feeling into all the great political and reformatory questions of his time.
Originally a Whig, and speculatively a Federalist, he succumbed to the masterly persuasions of that eloquent pioneer of abolitionism, Ichabod Codding. Rarely writing for the press and still less frequently attempting a formal speech, Mr. Lincoln's activity in disseminating on the community where he lived ideas and principles favorable to universal liberty, was not the less efficacious. With singular unanimity his family and fellow townsmen came to his way of thinking, and have ever remained steadfast in their integrity. He watched with intense anxiety the changing fortunes of the great war, to which he would cheefully have contributed his own life; and though the reconstruction period, results which seemed to satify the very champions of freedom did not quite satisfy him. Upon religious subjects and personal religion, Mr. Lincoln was always reticent. His habitual tone of mind was singularly reverent and devout. His life-long habit was to participate with his neighbors in the external service of worship. His most intimate friends did not know to what extent, if at all, his speculative opinions upon matters of faith differed from those of the friends in whose worship he decorously joined. How profoundly religious his character was, every one noted, by which he regulated his own thinking and living, the magnanimous patience with which he had borne the several sorrows, and the rounded symmetry into which he had wrought a perfected manhood."
Thomas Lincoln married (first) Emma Johnson; (second) Mary Eastman.
Children of 1st wife:
Emma, Edith and Arthur Talbot.
Child of 2d wife:

(VIII) Dr. Arthur Talbot, only son of Thomas and Emma (Johnson) Lincoln, was born at Dennysville, Maine, Sept. 16, 1856. He was educated in private schools in his native town, and in Boston, and entered Amherst College, graduating in the class of 1879 as Bachelor of Arts. He took a professional course at the Harvard Medical School, class of 1883, but being in Europe, did not receive his degree of Doctor of Medicine until 1889. Dr. Lincoln spent six years in post-graduate study and hospital practice in Europe. Returning to the U. S., he pursued the practice of his profession in his native town and elsewhere. For the most part he spends his time with his dogs and gun in the contemplation and enjoyment of nature in her varied manifestations, which his ample means, liberal education and cultivated mind enable him to do in his old ancestral home, with a most charming environment in the Maine woods.
Dr. Lincoln married, in New York City, Feb. 19, 1889, Anna Maxwell, daughter of Capt. Henry Rolfe and Jessie (Andrews) Brown. Her father, who was a sea captain, and one of the family of Browns of Providence, Rhode Island, died Aug. 21, 1907. His wife was born in Glasgow, Scotland, 1831, and the parents were in that port when Mr. Lincoln was born. Much of Mrs. Lincoln's early life was spent in California, but she received her education in Europe and has traveled extensively in foreign lands, meeting her husband for the first time in Vienna. She has one brother, Henry Rolfe Brown Jr., of Providence, and had one sister, Jessie E., who died July 9, 1906, in Boston; she was the wife of Charles E. Allen, of Belfast, Ireland, of the Allen Steamship Company.


There is no doubt that some, if not all, of this name in America descend from the English branch settled in Hingham, Norfolk county, England, for more than a century before the emigrants came over. The name is said to be derived from Linan, abbreviation of the name of the Roman colony Lindum which was one the site of the present city of Lincoln, and from coln from Colonia. The meaning of the word Linunt is "flax," and thus Lindum and Lincoln are interpreted by one authority to mean "a flax country." Upon the records, this family name assumes many forms. Lincoln varied with the terminations; coln, kon, koln, and Linckhorn, or Linckhoorn. The early form in America was Linkon. The parish register of St. Andrews Church in Old Hingham, England, it is said, contains many of the names commn to the Lincoln families of this country.

(I) Thomas Lincoln, the emigrant, born about 1603, came from Norfolk county to Massachusetts, 1635, and first settled in Hingham, where he was granted land in 1636. He was called "Thomas the Miller," to distinguish him from three others (known as Thomas the Cooper, Thomas the Weaver, and Thomas the Husbandman) who bore the same name and came at an early date. In 1649 he moved to Taunton, Mass., where he is recorded as having "Faithfully followed his calling." He returned to Hingham for his family in 1652, and was proprietor of the mill at Taunton until his death, which occurred at Hingham, Feb. 11, 1684. His will is datae Aug. 28, 1683, in which he calls himself "eighty years or thereabouts,"
He married (first) presumably in England, name of wife unknown, and (second) Dec. 10, 1665, Elizabeth Streete (widow of Francis), whose maiden name was Harvey. The estate of "Thomas the Miller" was valued at two hundred and five pounds eight shillings.
Children of 1st wife:
1. John, born in England, married Edith Macombes, of Marshfield and had: i. John, b. 1665; ii. Thomas, b. 1667, married Edith (Esther), dau. of Samuel Smith; iii. Mary, b. 1679, married Nathan Shore (Shove); iv. Daniel, b. 1685, married (first) Abigail Nichols, (second) Mrs. Hannah Knapp; v. Josiah, married Jane ____.
2. Thomas, born in England, bap. in Hingham, 1637.
3. Samuel, born in England, and bap. in Hingham, 1637, married Jane _____, and had: i. Samuel, b. June 1, 1664, died aged seventy-five; ii. Hannah, married Samuel (Daniel) Owen; iii. Tamson, married Jonah Austin Jr.; iv. Elizabeth, married William Briggs (their children were Ebenezer, Rachel, m. Thomas Randall; John; Thomas, b 1683; and Daniel, who married Susannah _____.
4. Mary, baptized at Hingham, Oct. 6, 1642, married (first) William Hack and (second) Richard Stevens (and had children William Hack, Richard Stevens, Thomas Stevens, Tamson Stevens, and Nathaniel Stevens).
5. Sarah, baptized in Hingham Dec, 1645, married Joseph Willis, of Taunton, and had Joseph and Thomas.

(II) Thomas (2), second son of Thomas (1) Lincoln and first wife, was born in England, and baptized in Hingham, Feb., 1637-38, by Rev. Peter Hobart. He went with his father to Taunton in 1649.
He married Mary, daughter of Jonah and Constance Austin, who came from Tenterden, county Kent, England, in the "Hercules." Thomas Lincoln was a husbandman, and sold to Daniel Cushing, of Hingham, Oct. 11, 1662, the lot given him by his father (Thomas Lincklon), which was granted the latter by the inhabitants of Hingham (Suffolk Deeds, iv. 65).
He died about 1694, as in that year his property was distributed to his children. In the deed he is styled "Thomas Grand Senior."
1. Mary, born May 12, 1652.
2. Sarah, born Sept. 25, 1654, died young.
3. Thomas, born April 21, 1656.
4. Samuel, born March 16, 1658, married and died early, as his father in 1694 devised property to "Samuel's daughter, Lydia, when eighteen."
5. Jonah, born July 7, 1660, will probated in Bristol, Nov. 30, 1672, or 3, 1712; leaves one-third of property to wife and two-thirds "to children of sister Mercy Caswell."
6. Sarah, born July 7, 1660.
7. Hannah, born March 15, 1663.
8. Constant, born May 16, 1664-65, married William Briggs Jr.
9. Mercy, born April 3, 1670, married William Caswell, of Taunton.
10. Experience, whose brother Thomas' son, Nathaniel, directed by will that his wife should "care for Aunt Experience and give her decent burial."

(III) Thomas (3), eldest son of Thomas (2) and Mary (Austin) Lincoln, was born in Taunton, April 21, 1656, and was a soldier in King Philip's war. The record is that on March 10, 1675, Thomas Linkon (with others), under the lead of Lieut. Robert Barker, was "find eight pounds, the amount of his pay, for breaking away from the army."
He married (first) Mary, daughter of Richard and Abigail Stacy. Her father died in 1687, and Thomas Lincoln was appointed administrator of his estate. He married (second) Nov. 14, 1689, Susannah, daughter of Samuel Smith; she was born Jan. 25, 1664. The date of his death is not known. It is shown by deed of March 3, 1711-12 that he had a "son Nathaniel," and he probably had also Thomas and Jonathan.

(IV) Nathaniel, son of Thomas (3) and Mary (Stacy) Lincoln, was born in Taunton about 1684. In the military forces he ranked as sergeant. His will directs that "my grandson, son of my son Nathaniel Linkon, shall have my gun, powder horn, bulletts, shott and all appurtenances belonging to military accoutrements."
He married Alice, daughter of Capt. John and Alice (Shaw) Andrews. He was engaged in the milling business, conducting a grist mill, while Capt. Andrews attended the sawmill. He died March 22, 1761, and his will was probated May 9, 1761.
1. Nathaniel, born 1725.
2. Ichabod, b. 1727, died Sept. 26, 1768; married Hannah ____, born 1731, died Oct. 26, 1821; they had Ichabod, b. March, 1750, m. ____ Ingalls; Rufus, b. Nov. 10, 1751, married Lydia Sprague; Prudence, died unmarried; Asa, b. Dec. 11, 1756, m. Mary Morris, (second) Betsey Howard; Hannah, b. 1758, m. Jonathan Morris, brother of Mary; Celia, b. 1760, married ____Robinson, (second) Sampson Mason; Nathaniel, b. 1762, married Susan Burt.
3. Alice, married Benjamin Briggs of Rehoboth.
4. Mary, marired Peter Pratt, of Taunton.
5. Constant, married Samuel Torrey, of Taunton.
6. Martha, married Richard Liscombe.
7. Susannah, married George Burt, of Taunton.

(V) Nathaniel (2), eldest son of Nathaniel (1) and Alice (Andrews) Lincoln, was born in Taunton, about 1725, married Oct. 11, 1743, Elizabeth, daughter of Increase Jr. and Mehitable (Williams) Robinson. They removed to Rehoboth, where he purchased a house of Nathaniel Cobb, Dec. 27, 1750. He removed to New Braintree probably in 1759, thence to Petersham, 1778, as shown by deeds. The traditional record concerning his death is that "he went from Petersham to New Marlboro, where his wife died, and he then for a time lived with his son, Stepne, at Oakham, but removed to Attleboro, where he died aged about eigthy." But no records are found to confirm this statement.
1. Nathaniel, born in Taunton, tanner of Braintree, married Ruth Delanoe, of Oakham, removed to Sag Harbor, Staten Island.
2. Sophia, born in Taunton, prob. married Feb. 6, 1766, Joseph Parker Jr., of New Braintree, moved to Kingston, Vermont.
3. Rachel, born in Rehoboth, June 15, 1749, married in New Braintree July 11, 1771, Henry Chase Jr. of Petersham.
4. Stephen, born Dec. 3, 1751, settled at Oakham.
5. Lemuel, born at Rehoboth, April 16, 1754, lived at Martha's Vineyard.
6. Loved, born at Rehoboth, Aug. 26, 1758, settled at Lewiston, Maine, married twice: second wife Betsy Hodgkin, of Lewiston; he served in the revolutionary war, died in Lewiston April 9, 1850. He had a large family; Charlotte, m. a Thompson; Nathaniel, settled in Bath, Maine; Cyrus, lieut. in war of 1812, lived at Bath, Maine; Betsy; Lurany; Sally; Levi; Rufus; and two children who died young.

(VI) Stephen, second son of Nathaniel (2) and Elizabeth (Robinson) Lincoln, was born in Rehoboth, Dec. 3, 1751, and settled in Oakham. He had removed with his father to New Braintree and learned the tanners' trade. He served in the revolutionary war from Aug., 1778, to Feb., 1779, in the Rhode Island campaign under Sullivan.
He married, at Oakham, Lydia, daughter of Lieut. Ebenezer and Hannah (Parlin) Foster. The tradition is that his first home at Oakham was a log house built on Bogel Hill. He bought, March 6, 1783, an estate of ninety-two acres; in 1787 added fifty acres more to his possessions, which the following year were increased by twenty-five acres and in 1790 by twenty-four acres additional. It is recorded that he "built a large house in 1784 after the fashion of the day, which is still standing." This was at the foot of the hill on the top of which his father-in-law, Lieut. Foster, lived and where his wife Lydia was born. He also built a tannery nearly opposite where it is said he concealed money in an old shoe in the chimney when General Burgoyne' army were barracked at Rutland, nearby.
He was a member of Oakham Congregational Church and June 17, 1779, was appointed chorister. In 1781-92-98 he was surveyor of highways; warden in 1784; selectman 1791-98. He was a tall man, of imposing appearance, and his wife was small. He died at Oakham, March 16, 1840, and his wife died April 8, 1839, both buried in the cemetery at Barre Plains road about two miles from Oakham. It is worthy of note that they numbered sixty-five grandchildren.
1. Abner, born Feb. 11, 1780.
2. Hannah, born Sept. 25, 1781, married Amos Hunter.
3. Lydia, born March 2, 1784, married Adin Davis.
4. Lucy, born Oct. 23, 1786, married Enoch Goodale.
5. Elizabeth, born Sept. 7, 1788, married Luther Hunter.
6. Levi, born Nov. 2, 1790.
7. Stephen, born Nov. 29, 1792.
8. Sarah, born May 19, 1795, married Loren Haskell.
9. Justus, born May 20, 1797.
10. Mary, born Dec. 17, 1799, died unmarried at Elizabeth, New Jersey Nov. 7, 1882.
11. Louisa, born Feb. 3, 1803, married Abram F. Robinson.

(VII) Justus, fourth son of Stephen and Lydia (Foster) Lincoln, was born in Oakham, May 20, 1797. He was married in Boston, Nov. 24, 1823, to Maria Watson, daughter of Dr. Watson, born in New York City Aug. 18, 1799, died at Rutland Sept. 28, 1842. They lived for a time at Dorchester and moved thence too Worcester in 1827, where they resided several years. Before 1833 they went to Hartford, Connecticut. In early life he was a gold beater by trade, but later took up farming. He was much interested in music and was well known as a singer and a teacher. For several years he was leader of the choir of Old South Church, Boston, and served in the same capacity in several other churches.
1. William Henry, born Aug. 19, 1825.
2. John Kent, born July 5, 1828.
3. Maria Louisa, born March 17, 1831, married Rufus B. Miles.
4. Albert Watson, born June 2, 1833.
5. Charles Davis, born Dec. 26, 1836.

(VIII) John Kent, second son of Justus and Maria (Watson) Lincoln, was born in Worcester, Mass., July 5, 1828, died in Bangor, Maine, May 20, 1887. He was married in Biddeford, Maine, Sept. 4, 1851, to Olive Fairfield, daughter of Ivory and Lydia (Stone) Dame, of Saco, born in Biddeford Aug. 26, 1830, resided in Bangor, Maine.
Dr. Lincoln studied dentistry in early days, and practiced in Biddeford, Augusta and Bangor. Later he took up the study of theology and was graduated from Bangor Theological Seminary in 1862, and was the same year, Sept. 30, was ordained minister.
He enlisted in Oct., 1862, in the Twenty-second Regiment, Maine Volunteer Infantry, and was appointed chaplain of the regiment. He met with an accident in July, 1863; was thrown over a precipice, falling forty feet and fracuturing his skill, from the effects of which he never recovered, although he lived for twenty-four years afterward, but was compelled to abandon the ministry.
1. Ellen Maria, born in Biddeford Oct. 23, 1854, died in Albuquerque, New Mexico, April 11, 1893.
2. Mary Emma, born in Augusta, Dec. 10, 1856.
3. Frederick Dame, born in Bangor, Jan. 3, 1862.
The maternal great-grandfather of these children was Thomas Dame, who married Abigail Goldthwaite, widow of Benjamin, who was harbor master under George III, along the coast extending from Nova Scotia to North Carolina.

(IX) Frederick Dame, only son of John Kent and Olive F. (Dame) Lincoln, was born in Bangor, Maine, Jan. 3, 1862. He was educated in the public and high schools of Bangor and entered business at fifteen years of age with the Union (Marine) Insurance Company of Bangor, and later was employed in the office of Washington Mills Company, Lawrence, Mass. When the treasurer's office was moved to Boston, he was placed in charge of that as manager, and in 1896 was transferred to their New York office as office manager. In 1899, when the American Woolen Company was formed, he became the office manager and secretary of the New York Company, which position he occupied in 1907.
He married, Sept. 17, 1904, Blanche Horton Boardman, of Bangor, who died Dec. 19, 1906, leaving one child, Samuel Boardman Lincoln, of the tenth generation, b. Aug. 5, 1905, now living at New Rochelle, New York.

Blind Counter