Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


From the Herald's College, London, comes the statement that the family of Kimball is from the county of Cumberland, England, and takes its origin from a parish of that name upon the Scottish border. The ancestor from whom the principal American branch of the family sprang, came from Rattlesden, in the county of Suffolk (not far from London) in which county the Kemballs have lived at least four hundred years. The name has been variously spelled, "according to the taste and fancy of the speller." The original name is claimed to have been "Kymbolde;" the American ancestor wrote it Kemball, and his descendants changed it to Kimball. The Kimballs, as a stock, have been noted for their retentive memories; and in business circles they have been exceptionally strong; and have taken leading places in local affairs.

(I) Richard Kimball, the ancestor in America, resided in the parish of Rattlesden, in the county of Suffolk, England, as is shown by the parish register of the date of the baptism of his son Henry, Aug. 12, 1615. He embarked with his family at Ipswich, county of Suffolk, England, April 10, 1634, in the ship "Elizabeth," William Andrews, master, and sailed for Boston in New England, where he arrived in due course of time.
From Boston it seems that he soon went to Watertown. He is said to have been thirty-nine years old at this time. His home lot in the first division was a parcel of sixty acres, bounded on the north by Cambridge, and now (1908) forms a part of that town which afterward annexed the eastern part of Watertown. He was made freeman May 6, 1635, and became a proprietor in 1637. Soon afterward he accepted an invitation to move to Ipswich, where he followed the calling of wheelwright the remainder of his days. Feb. 23, 1637, the town granted him a house lot at the west end of town and "40 acres beyond North river." In 1639 he had liberty to pasture "two cows free." On "the last day of the last month 1641" he is mentioned as "Among the Commoners of Ipswich." He was appointed one of the seven men March 1, 1645. On the 22d day of the 10th month, 1647, he was allowed two pounds for killing two foxes. In January, 1649, he was given permission "to seel such white oaks as he hath occasion to use about his trade for the town use." Dec. 19, 1648, he contributed with others three shillings as his annual proportion toward the sum of 27 pounds, 7s., as a rate for the services of their military leader, Major David Dennison, then commander of the military forces of Essex and Norfolk counties. In Sept., 1652, he was one of the appraisers of the estate of John Cross, Jan. 25, 1652. Richard and his son Richard Kimball, wheelwrights, "for 14 pounds sell 30 acres of upland bounding on land of Mr. John Winthrop;" also another lot of land of ten acres of meadow. In 1653 he was one of a committee of three to survey fences in the common fields north of the river. In 1663 he owned forty-three shares in Plumb Island.
He made his will March 5, 1675, and died June 22, 1675, aged more than eighty years. This will was probated Sept. 28, 1675. The inventory of the estate, although he had given property to his children on their marriages, ammounted to 737 pounds, 3s 6d., a good estate for that time and place.
Richard Kinball married (first) Ursula, daughter of Henry Scott, of Rattlesden, and (second) Oct. 23, 1661, Margaret, widow of Henry Dow, of Hampton, N. H. She died March 1, 1676. Children, all by 1st wife:
Abigail, Henry, Elizabeth, Richard, Mary, Martha, John, Thomas, Sarah, Benjamin, and Caleb.

(II) Henry, eldest son and second child of Richard Kimball, was born in Rattlesden, Suffolk county, England, baptized Aug. 12, 1615, and came to America in the ship "Elizabeth" with his father in 1634. He first settled in Watertown, Mass., but some time after 1646 followed his father to Ipswich, and about 1655 removed to Wenham, and spent the remainder of his life in that town. Nov. 8, 1657, he subscribed three pounds as minister's rate, one-half in wheat, the other half in Indian corn, "at merchant's price." In 1659 he subscribed three pounds fifty shilling, on half in corn, and in 1660-61 he contributed ten shillings toward the new meeting house.
He was chosen constable Oct. 22, 1669.
He died in Wenham, in 1676, leaving an estate inventoried at one hundred seventy-seven pounds twelve shillings.
He married (first) about 1640, Mary, daughter of John and May Wyatt, who came to America in the same ship with him. Mary died in Wenham, Aug. 12, 1672, and he married (second) Elizaeth (Gilbert) Rayner, widow of William, son of Thurston Rayner, and daughter of Humphrey and Elizabeth Gilbert.
Henry & Mary's children:
Mary, Richard, John, Caleb, Dorcas, Abigail, Sarah, Henry, Mehitable, Benjamin, Joseph, Martha and Deborah.

(III) Caleb, third son of Henry and Mary (Wyatt) Kimball, was born about 1646, probably in Watertown, and then disappears from the records. It is presumable that he settled in Wells, Maine, and was the father of the next mentioned.

(IV) The first mention of Caleb Kimball, of Wells, Maine, is when he married Susanna Cloyes, June 15, 1704.
Nathaniel, Richard, Caleb, Susanna, Mary, Sarah, Joshua, Samuel and Benjamin.

(V) Richard, second son of Caleb and Susanna (Cloyes) Kimball, was baptized March 25, 1707, and died in 1781. He was an early settler of Wells, Maine, and in 1750 had seven cows and eight oxen. In 1724 he was hunted by Indians; in 1730 he kept a store in Kennebunk, Maine; in 1755 he was part owner of the first vessel of Wells; in 1767 built a sloop; and in 1778 is recorded as giving one shirt and one pair of stockings for the army.
He married (first) Sept. 1, 1733, Catherine Couzens, (second) Aug. 6, 1740, Hannah Lord, of Berwick, Maine.
Richard (died young), Richard, Mary, Elizbeth, Samuel, Isaac, Israel and Hannah.

(VI) Israel, son of Richard and Hannah (Lord) Kimball, was baptized Aprl 29, 1750, at Wells, Maine, and died in 1822. He lived at Kennebunk, Maine, and married, Oct. 12, 1771, Eleanor Dennett, born at Arundel, died in 1823.
1. Jacob, born 1771, married Annie Getchell.
2. Israel, b. 1773.
3. Wilbraham.
4. Eleanor, married Benjamin Treadwell.
5. Stephen, b. June 30, 1783.
6. Betsey, married Daniel Merrill.
7. Sally, married Philip Emery.
8. Polly, married Abraham Kimball.
9. A daughter, married Chaarles Trafton.
10. Richard, b. May 24, 1893.

(VII) Wilbraham, third son of Israel and Eleanor (Dennett) Kimball, was born in 1778, at Wells, Maine, and died Oct. 28, 1850, at the same place. He lived at Kennebunk, where he was engaged in shipbuilding.
He married, Oct. 20, 1804, Deborah Bourne, born March 29, 1821, died Oct. 15, 1859.
1. Ivory, born Sept. 21, 1805, died July 24, 1853; was a minister, and graduated from Bowdoin College; married Susan K. Poor.
2. Stephen, born June 21, 1807, died July 15, 1888.
3. Isaac, born June 17, 1809, died March 7, 1894.
4. Israel, born Jan. 26, 1812, died Dec. 10, 1890.
5. Wilbraham.
6. William, born Aug. 4, 1816, died May 29, 1904.
7. Benjamin H., born Aug. 26, 1818, died Oct. 14, 1889.
8. John Patton, born March 29, 1821, died July 20, 1879; married Emily Skelton.
9. Samuel W., born Nov. 24, 1823, died Oct. 14, 1888.
10. George W., born Oct. 4, 1825, died Sept. 13, 1892.

(VIII) Wilbraham (2), fifth son of Wilbraham (1) and Deborah (Bourne) Kimball, was born March 24, 1814, and died June 3, 1870. June 8, 1842 he married Ann Hatch, born March 15, 1819.
1. Ivory George.
2. Israel Edward, b. Feb. 23, 1853, married (first) Catherine Beaver, (second) Mrs. Elizabeth Clifford. Israel Edward had one daughter by first marriage, Clara Belle, born May 15, 1874.
3. Jennie Oakley, b. Sept. 25, 1855.
Mrs. Kimball died Nov. 7, 1891.

(IX) Ivory George, eldest son of Wilbraham (2) and Ann (Hatch) Kimball, was born May 5, 1843, at Jay, Maine. In 1846 he moved with his mother to Indiana, where he attended the public schools, and after he reached the age of sixteen he taught school. He served three months as private in the civil war, in Company E, Fifty-fifth Indiana Infantry Regiment. In 1863 he went to Washington with Hugh McCulloch, Secretary of the Treasury, who secured him a position in one of the government offices. He took a course at the Columbia Law School, graduating in 1867 with the degree of LL.B., and the same year was admitted to the District of Columbia bar; afterward he was admitted to practice in the court of claims and United States supreme court and commenced the general practice of law. In 1891 he was appointed by President Harrison police court judge of Washington, received re-appointment by President McKinley in 1898, and again in 1904 by President Roosevelt, his term expiring in 1910.
Judge Kimball has for several years been a prominent member of the Grand Army of the Republic, which has delighted to honor him for many years. He belongs to Burnside Post, No. 8, of Washington. In 1901 he was elected junior vice department commander; the year following, senior vice department commander; in 1903 department commander for one year; and he has for several years past held the position of chairman of the committee on national legislation for the organization, and he represented the Grand Army on the commission to erect the Memorial Amphitheater in the National Cemetery at Arlington.
Judge Kimball is a Republican as to political views, and is an elder in the Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the order of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, belonging to Hiram Lodge, No. 10, of Washington, and has attained to the 32d degree, Scottish Rite.
Judge Kimball married, Sept. 26, 1865, Anna L. Ferris, born Jan. 8, 1839, in Saratoga county, New York.
1. Ella Clara, born June 24, 1866; married Reverend W. A. Tyler, of Nebraska; they had eight children, four of whom are living - Tracy, Harry, Ralph and Ivory.
2. Wilbra, born April 6, 1868, died March 9, 1888.
3. Harry Gilbert, born March 26, 1870, married Jennie Fermage; children: Paul, Ruth and Anna.
4. Alice May, born July 7, 1872, married Dr. John W. McMichel, of Portland, Oregon.
5. Arthur Herbert, born March 13, 1875; married Helen M. Kimball; children: Ruth and Arthur.
6. Bertha Louise, born Jan. 28, 1878, died April 22, 1907.
7. Edna Gertrude, born Sept. 9, 1879, married Otto L. Ferris, an attorney, and resides at Portland, Oregon: children: Margaret, died in childhood; and Earle Leonard, living.
8. Walter, born Nov. 20, 1883; is an optician, and resides at St. Joseph, Missouri.

[trans note: more early Kimball, scroll up to make a connecton.]

(II) Richard (2) son of Richard (1) and Ursula (Scott) Kimball, was born in Rattlesden, England, in 1623, and died in Wenham, Mass., May 26, 1676. He came to America with his father. He was called a wheelwright and yeoman. In a deposition dated Sept., 1658, he mentions having "lived on Goodman Shatswell's farm for seven years." He removed to Wenham between 1652 and 1656, settled in the westerly part of town, and was the first settler named Kimball in that town. It seems that he was the largest taxpayer among the early settlers. That he owned large amounts of lands at different times is shown by the records of numerous conveyances in the records at Salem, Nov. 8, 1657, he subscribed 3 pounds to the minister's rate, to be paid one-half in what and one-half in Indian corn. The next year he was chosen selectman, and was continued in that office with the exception of three years, till 1674. Dec. 4, 1660 he was one of a committee to see about building a new meeting house. Feb. 28, 1663, the town leased two hundred acres of the best of its common land for one thousand years to Abner Ordway, Thomas Searles, John Edwards and Richard Kimball, Jr. Richard Kimball was one of a committee to perfect the line between Bass River and Wenham, and July 18, 1673, was one of a committee to establish rates for the cost of building a meeting house.
The amount of the inventory of his estate taken after his death ws 986 pounds, 16s. 6d. His dwelling house and one hundred and thirty two acres of land and one hundred and seventy acres of meadow belonging to it were appraised at 370 pounds, He also had two hundred acres at Rowley Village.
The genealogist deduces from the fact that Thomas Kimball had wages due him from the county at the time of his death, as stated in his inventory, that it is possible that he had been engaged in the war with the Indians, and was probably with his nephew, Caleb Kimball, at the time the latter was killed at Bloody Brook.
Richard Kimball married (first) Mary, whose surname does not transpire. She died Sept. 2, 1672. His second wife was also named Mary, probably Mary Gott.
Children, all but last 2 prob. by 1st wife:
John, Samuel, Thomas, Ephraim, Caleb, Christopher, Richard, a child, and Nathaniel.

(III) Caleb Kimball, fifth son of Richard (2) and Mary Kimball, was born in Wenham, April 9, 1665, and died there Jan. 25, 1726. He was a yeoman and mason. He bought land as early as 1720, in Exeter, New Hampshire, and after residing there a while returned to Wenham. He conveyed this farm to his son Abraham on condition that he should pay the other children their shares in their father's estate. His wife Sarah died Feb. 20, 1732.
Caleb, Sarah, John, Abraham, Hannah, Mehitable, Eleazer, Benjamin and Joseph.

(IV) John Kimball, third child and second son of Caleb and Sarah Kimball, was born in Wenham, Mass., Dec. 20, 1699, and died in Exeter, New Hampshire in 1785. He was a carpenter. His father gave him land in Exeter, on which he settled. He also owned land in Kensington and Chester.
He married (first) Feb. 14, 1723, Abigail Lyford, who died Feb. 12, 1738; and (second) Sept. 18, 1740, Sarah Wilson, born Nov. 23, 1709, daughter of Deacon Thomas and Mary L. Wilson. He had fifteen children by the first wife and eight by the second.
Judith, Abigail, John, Joseph, Lydia, Thomas (died young), Sarah, Noah, Olive, Nathaniel, Moses, Caleb, Thomas and Jesse.

(V) Joseph, fourth child and second son of John and Abigail (Lyford) Kimball, was born in Exeter, N. H., Jan. 29, 1731, and died Nov. 6, 1814, in the eighty-fourth year of his age. He resided in Exeter until 1788, and then removed to Canterbury. He became blind before leaving Exeter, and never saw the town of Canterbury, in which he lived twenty-six years.
Tradition says his first wife was Olive Wilson. He married (second), in 1762, Sarah Smith, born 1740, died March 1, 1808.
Children of 1st wife:
Peter Sanborn and Olive.
Children of 2d wife:
Mary, Sarah, John, Betsey, Joseph, Jesse, Smith, Samuel and Robert.

(VI) Rev. Jesse, sixth child and third son of Joseph and Sarah (Smith) Kimball, was born in Exeter, Sept. 7, 1774, and died May 5, 1818. He was a Methodist clergyman, and lived in Hallowell, Maine, "much respected and greatly beloved."
He married (first) Hannah Cox, who died March 28, 1814, daughter of James Cox of Boston, Mass. He married (second) June 11, 1814, Betsey Page, who died July 4, 1878, daughter of Timothy Page, of Hallowell. She was a niece of his first wife.
Betsey, Joseph, Mary, Olive, Robert Moody and George Moody, all but the last by the first wife.

(VII) Robert Moody, fifth child and second son of Jesse and Hannah (Cox) Kimball, was born in Hallowell, Maine, Feb. 3, 1805, and died May 1, 1885, aged eighty years. He was a farmer, and resided in Clinton. He married, Sept., 1824, Mary Reynolds Packard, died at Parkman, Maine, daughter of Deacon Barnabas Packard, of Clinton. After the death of her husband she lived in West Ripley.
Ebenezer Packard, Lucius Ord, Mary Olive, Hester Ann Cox, Robert Moody, George Moody, Luman Brown, Cynthia Packard, Jesse, Robert Melvin, and Albert Irving.

(VIII) Ebenezer Packard, eldest child of Robert Moody and Mary Reynolds (Packard) Kimball, was born in Benton, May 11, 1825, and died in Corinna, Oct. 16, 1901. He followed the vocation of his father, and resided in Corinna and Searsport, Maine.
Sept. 11, 1849, he married Tryphosa Fessenden Nye, born in Fairfield, Maine, Feb. 3, 1831, daughter of Ellis and Martha Nye, of Fairfield, Maine. She died Oct. 29, 1905.
1. Irving Ellis, has extended mention below.
2. Willard Carroll, born in Searsport, Dec. 9, 1855, resides in Boston.
3. Ellen Myra, born in Searsport, May 25, 1859; married June 2, 1883, Isaac Mower Bates, of Corinna, Maine.

(IX) Irving Ellis, eldest child of Ebenezer A, and Tryphosa F. (Nye) Kimball, was born in Clinton, Sept. 2, 1851. He received his literary education in the public schools and the East Maine Conference Seminary at Bucksport. Subsequently he attended lectures at the Medical School of Maine and the medical department of Dartmouth College, receiving his degree at the former institution in 1876. He practiced medicine at Wiscasset three years, thence moving to Portland, where he has since resided.
In 1894 he went abroad he went abroad and did post-graduate work in several of the most famous schools of Europe, including the University of Vienna, where he remained longest. In 1881 he was appointed demonstrator of anatomy in the Portland Medical School, and in 1882 he was appointed to the same position in the Medical School of Maine. Returning to Portland in 1881, he engaged in the general practice of medicine and surgery; this he continued for short time, but for several years past his practice has been confined to diseases of the nose and throat. In practice he has met with gratifying success, and his patronage is drawn from a large area of the New England states.
He is consulting surgeon to the Maine General Hospital and the Maine Eye and Ear Hospital. He is a member of the Cumberland County Medical Society, the Maine Medical Society, the New England Medical Society, and American Medical Society, and the American Otological, Rhinological and Laryngological Society. He is vice-president of the Cumberland Club.
In religious views he is a Congregationalist. In politics he is a Republican, but takes no part in local politics.
Dr. Kimball married (first), Oct. 23, 1879, Mary Frances Tucker, who died March 10, 1883, daughter of Captain Joseph and Frances Tucker, of Wiscasset.
Irving Francis, b. March 10, 1883, who died April 22, same year.
Dr. Kimball married (second) June 2, 1886, Susan J. Rollins, who was born Feb. 11, 1864, dau. of Franklin J. and Araballe C. (Jordan) Rollins.

Blind Counter