Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


When our heathen ancestors adopted the christian faith they assumed christian names as evidences of their conversion. On account of the prominence in the early church of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist, the name Johanan or Iohannes, afterward shortened to Ian, Iohn, or John, became a favorite. When the Saxon suffix ing, signifying son, was added, it gave the patronymic Ianing, or Janing, that is, John's son, which finally became Jennings, which form has prevailed for many centuries, though it orthography shows more than thirty variations in the early records of Massachusetts. The men of this race have usually been tall, strong, hardy and energetic, have taken an active part in the wars of New England and the Republic, and have been successfully engaged in many of the pursuits of peace. Fifty-five were patiot soldiers in the revolutionary war from Mass. One of the first two Englishmen who ever descended Lake Champlain was a Jennings. A colonial governor of New Jersey, the first governor of Indiana, a governor of Florida, and other men of prominence have borne this patronymic. Several of the name settled in Massachusetts in very early times; but who was the immigrant ancestor of this family, or when or where he settled in New England, is not within the knowledge of the present generation. Freeman, the historian of Cape Cod, says: "It is impossible after much investigation, to give so satisfactory account as we would wish, of the Jennings family." Their earliest history probably perished with the early town records which contained it. Freeman adds: "The Jennings family, long time prominent and highly respectable in this town (Sandwich) have become extinct here; but lands are still called after their name."

(I) John Jennings, the first of the family of whom there is authentic information, was living at Sandwich in 1667, and died there June 18, 1722, "at an advanced age." On "23, 2 month, 1675," John Jennings was among the sixty-nine residents of Sanwich" who were able to make it appear that they had just rights and title to the privileges of the town."
July 4, 1678, the name of John Jennings was not on "the list of those who have taken the oath of fidelity." Aug. 18, 1681, the town voted John Jennings and two others "All the bog meadow, leaving out the springs for the neighborhood" near Dexter's Island. June 25, 1702, the name of John Jennings appears on the "record of the inhabitants of the town of Sandwich entitled to their share in the division of lands as per vote of March 24, 1702."
July 16, 1708, John Jennings, cordwainer, was appointed administrator "on all and sigular the goods and chattels, rights and credits of John Jennings your son some time of Sandwich aforesaid, mariner, who it is said died intestate." This John, born "3, 12, 1673," is said to have been a captain in the English merchant service, and to have died in foreign parts. May 15. 1690, John Jennings and Samuel Prince were elected constables. The constable at that time was a person of some importance, as he was the town's financial representative, being tax collector and treasurer. John Jennings held various minor town offices and seems to have been occasionally paid money by the town for various services. The fact that John Jennings was a witness to the wills of two Quakers, Lydia Gaunt, 1691, and Isaac Gaunt, 1698, and the further fact that the inventory of his estate shows that he had at the time of his death "Quaker" books as we suuppose may be valued by that people two pounds," make it seem that he was undoubtedly one of those just men whose influence prevented any harm ever coming to the Quakers of "the Cape," though they were cruelly persecuted in some other parts of New England.
John Jennings died intestate and his son Isaac administered his estate, the inventory of which amounted to forty-five pouns fifteen shilling six pence. He seems to have been an honest and honorable man who minded his own business and was sometimes called in to help other people with theirs.
John Jennings married (first) June 29, 1667, Susanna; (second) Ruhamah; the surname of neithger being now known.
Children by 1st wife:
Remember (or Remembrance) and Ann.
Children by 2d wife:
Elizabeth and Samuel.
These children, as shown by the Sandwich records, were born between Sept. 17, 1668 and Feb. 28, 1685.

(II) Samuel, youngest child of John and Ruhamah Jennings, was born in Sandwich, Feb. 19, 1684-85. (O.S.), and died there May 13, 1764, in the eightieth year of his age. He was impressed into the British navy, and in escaping from it had the adventure which he narrates in a letter to his pastor, Rev. Dr. Stillman, which was printed and published with the following "Advertisement": "The writer of the following Letter was a person of good understanding, of great sobriety and uprightness, and sustained a very fair character to his death, which was in the year seventeen hundred and sixty-four, in advanced age. He bore on his body the marks of the terrible assault herein related; the particulars of which he often repeated, and the following letter was found among his papers and is published by his son to perpetuate a remembrance of this signal Providence." The letter is as follows:
"Honored Sir: According to your request, when I was at your house about a year ago, I have now taken in hand to give you an account of that disaster which befel me in the West Indies, which was after the following manner. It was in the year 1703, I think in the month of October, that I was impressed on board a frigate, in Carlisle Bay, called the Milford, which was a station ship for the Island of Barbados; and after about four or five months contiuance on board said ship, I became exceedingly restless about my way of living; and I shall give you some of the reasons that made me so. And first, I observed that many times when men were sick of fevers and other distemperes, they were beaten to work, when men that were drunk were easily excused, though they were commonly a third of our number when there was work to do. And one time, being sick myself of a fever so that my legs would scare carry me without help of my hands, I was commanded up to work; I told the officer I was sick and could not work; he said I lied, and thereupon drove me, with several others in the same condition, upon deck (some of whom died the next day), then I went to the captain and told him that I, with some others, were beaten to work, though we were sick and not able to work: He said we were rascals, and the doctor said we were not sick; whereupon we were forced to stay on deck some time, and had now and then a blow, but did not and could not work. Secondly, I observed that industry and idleness were equally rewarded with blows; for they would begin at one end of a parcel of men pulling at a rope, and whip till they came to the other end, without minding who pulls and who does not. And thirdly, I found that my continuance in such a wicked famikly had brought me to smack of their familiar sin, vix., swearing, though I was but very ackward at it, and my conscience would always menace me for it. And I found also that the desire of strong drink had gained somewhat upon me, though I was not drunk with it at all, and had totally left the use of strong drink before I left the ship. Now the consideration of these and some other difficulties which I found in this place I lay obnoxious to, made me undertake that dangerous way of escape by swimming; for I considered the danger before I set out; but on the 26th day of March, 1704, I had drawn up a resolution that I would rid myself of this company, or lose my life when night came. I found it something difficult to get away undiscovered, there being centinels afore and abaft, with muskets loaded to shoot any one that should attempt to run away, and likewise a guard boat to row round the ship all night. I watched them till about ten o'clock at night, at which time, finding the centinels pretty careless, and the guard boat ahead of the ship, I went down between the decks, and having begged of God to carry me through that dangerous enterprize and deliver me out of those distresses, I went out of a port and swam with my shirt and breeches on right out to sea, before the wind, till I was clar of the ship and guard boat, and then turned along shore awhile, and then wheeled more towards the shore, but the seas beat over my head so fast I could hardly swim, and I thought beat me more out to sea, whereupon I turned and swam right against the wind towards the shore, and after a considerable time got to one of Captain Gillam's buoys, and rested myself awhile, and if I had known the ship I would have gone on board, but I aimed to swim to a brigantine that lay in the road belonging to Boston. Then I put off from Captain Gillam's buoy, and had not swam far before I saw a Shark just as he took hold of my left hand, he pulled me under water in a moment, at which I was very much surprised, and thought of a knife which I used to carry in my pocket, but remembered I had left it on board; then I kicked him several times with my right foot, but that proving ineffectual, I set my foot against his mouth, intending to haul my hand away or haul it off, and then he opened his mouth a little and catch'd part of my foot into his mouth with my hand, and held them both together. Then I cried unto God (mentally) that he would have mercy on my soul, which I thought would soon be separated from my body; but still I did not leave off striving, but punched him with my right hand, though to very little purpose; at last being almost drowned (for I was all the while under water) I had almost left off striving, and expecting nothing but present death; all at once my hand came loose and also my foot, and so finding myself clear of the fish I got to the top of the water, and having a little cleared my stomach of water, I called out for help, and swam towards the nearest ship, and I quickly heard them mustering to fit out their boat, which encouraged me to continue my calling for help, thinking thereby they might find me the sooner, it being very dark; they came to me with all speed and took me into their boat, and carried me to the ship's side, where I saw they had a lanthorn, but the blood turning just at that time, caused me to extreme sick at my stomach, and my sight also left me, but I answered Captain Gillam to many questions while I was blind; then they fastened a rope about me and hauled me into the ship and carried me into the steerage, and after a while recovering my sight, I asked if there was any doctor on board, they said yes, and pointed to Mr. Peter Cutler of Boston, he then being Captain Gillam's doctor. I asked him to cut off my mangled limbs if he saw it needful, and he spoke to the captain about it, but he would not allow of it, but sent advice to the Milford of what had happened, and the lieutenant sent a boat and carried me on board again, and the doctor being ashore, he sent for doctor Cutler and another doctor, who came on board, and after a glass of wine they ordered I should be tied, but upon my earnest solicitation they forbore to tie me, and then doctor Cutler performed the first amputation, which was my arm, and the other doctor cut off part of my foot. I endured extreme pain all the while, and after they had dressed those two wounds, they dressed three other flesh wounds, which I received at the same time, and the next day I was carried on shore, where I remained without appetite, and so full of pain, that I thought I did not sleep three hours in three weeks; but at last thro' God's great goodness, the pain left me and my appetite was restored, and my wounds healed wonderful fast, so that in about four months my foot was healed up, and I could go on it; but it broke out again, and I could not thoroughly heal it till I got home to New England. I was about nineteen years of age at the time of this disaster. I received much kindness from many gentlemen belonging to New England, as well as from those of Barbados, under those difficulties, all which I desire gratefully to acknowledge. But above all, I would acknowledge the great goodness of that God that supported me under and carried me through those distresses, and has provided for me ever since, so that neither I, nor mine, have wanted the necessary comforts of this life, notwithstanding my inability of body for many employments. Thus having run through the most observable passages of that disaster, I shall conclude, disiring your prayers to God for me, that so signal a deliverance may not be lost upon me; and that I may, by believing and yielding obedience to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, become a subject of eternal as well as temporal salvation.
Your humble servant,
Samuel Jennings
Sandwich, August 8, 1716."

After his return from Barbadoes, Samuel Jennings probably devoted himself to the acquisition of a superior education in consequence of his being maimed. He was the grammar-school master, and the records of 1710 show that he was voted twenty pounds, and it was provided that "those who send shall pay additional and board." He was "still employed" in 1712. He was selectman in 1712, representative 1714-1721, town clerk 1721-52 (thirty years), town treasurer 1719-51 (thirty two years), surveyor of lands, trader and possessed a large estate.
In 1712 the north part of the township of Falmouth included in what was called "the New Purchase," was ordered to be laid out; and "Thomas Bowerman and Philip Dexter were appointed to lay out said lands and were to associate with them, in the performance of their duty some suitable person. They called to their aid Mr. Samuel Jennings of Sandwich, an accomplished surveyor and good scholar, whose able and neartly prepared report of the proceeddings amply justifies the encornium we bestown," says the historian. "In 1717, Feb. 6, John Bacon, agent for the town of Barnstable, presented a petition to the General Court 'for the division of the town into precincts,' and Feb. 10, on the petition of Mr. Joseph Crocker and others, Mr. Samuel Sturgis, Melatiah Bourne, Esq., and Mr. Samuel Jennings were wppointed 'a committee to determine the controversy and settle the bounds between the said town and the Indians,' which was accordingly done."
April 4, 1718, Samuel Jennings in a deed of land to "Joseph Ney" desceibes himself as "shop keeper." Freeman states, "In 1764, two of the most influential and respectable citizens of the town deceased, Samuel Jenning, Seq., May 13, aged eighty, and Hon. Ezra Bourne in Sept., aged 88." On a well preserved slate stone in the Old Cemetery in Sandwich is the following inscription: "In memory of Samuel Jennings, Esq., who having served God and his Generation with uprightness in several important trusts, deceased May 13, 1764 in his 80th year. The memory of the just is blessed."
The marriage between Samuel Jennings and Remembrance Smith, both of Sandwich, was solemnized "before William Bassett, justice of the Peace, att Sandwich the 20th day of January Ann Domini 1712-13." She was the daughter of Shubael and granddaughter of Rev. John Smith, who was pastor of Sandwich from 1675 to 1688. Near her huband's stone is a slate slab on which is the legend, "Here Lyes ye body of Remember Jennings, aged About 28 Years Dec'd Jan'ry ye 23d 1717-18."
He married (second) Deborah Newcomb, who died Feb. 10, 1753.
Children of 1st wife:
Lydia and Ruhamah, the latter a woman of fine education.
Childre of 2d wife:
Samuel, Esther and John (whose sketch follows).

(III) John (2), youngest child of Samuel and Deborah (Newcomb) Jennings, was born in Sandwich, Mass., Sept. 3, 1734, and died in Winthrop, Maine, as stated in the Winthrop records, March 10, 1800, aged sixty-five years. He was interested with his father in shipping, and one of their vessels was the sloop "Deborah." John used to take "negro and Indian boys and bring them up to send on whaling voyabes," and was evidently a prosperous man. But after the revolution began he lost considerable property. He was a zealous Tory, and, history states, "was arrested and imprisioned in 1778 for disaffection to the popular cause." Being a high-spirited man, he determined to go to a new country. Accordingly he took his eldest son and went to Maine, then being rapidly settled. They went up the Kennebec to the Hook (now Hallowell) and thence through the woods of Winthrop (then Poundtown), inquiring of the few settlers he saw for land partly fenced and water. This he found in Wayne, where he was one of the earliest settlers. There he selected a tract of about a thousand acres bounded on three sides by Pocasset (now Wing) and Lovejoy ponds and what has since been called from him the Jennings stream, which unites the other two bodies of water. Here he finally obtained possession of about two hundred acres bordering the stream and the Wing pond, other settlers getting the rest. Here they felled a "possession," and John returned to Sandwich, leaving Samuel to feel more trees during the summer. The next summer Samuel was also sent to make further improvements. The next year John and his son John went from Sandwich and built a log house and extended the clearing. The greater part of the land John Jennings then settled on has ever since been the property of his descendants in the male line and is now (1908) the property of Tudor G. Jennings, the occupant, and his nephew, Loton D. Jennings, a lawyer of Boston. This is now one of the finest farms in Kennebec county. Vestiges of the first house and one built later and apple trees John planted are still to be seen. John probably removed to Wayne with his family in the spring of 1780. They went on a vessel to Portland, and from there John with his son Samuel ascended the Kennebec in one of his old whale-boats. From Hallowell they made their way on foot, driving before them the sheep and hogs they had brought from Sandwich. The swine were subsequently taken to an island in the Andoscoggin pond in Leeds, where in the following July the outcries of the animals gave notice of trouble. The settlers living near hastened to the island and discovered that bears had killed the hogs, and escaped. From this circumstance the isaldn has since been known as Hog Island. Having no salt, the neighbors smoked the meat of the slaughtered animals, which was a substantial part of the provisions of Mr. Jenning's family the following winter. In the autumn John Jennings returned to Sandwich to settler his affairs and came the next spring to Wayne, where he lived until the latter part of 1799, when he was taken sick and carried to the home of his daughter Deborah, wife of Joel Chandler, son of John Chandler, the first settler in Winthrop Village and builder of the first mills on the stream there. The Winthrop records state that "Mr. John Jennings died at Winthrop, March 10, 1800."
He was buried in the cemetery there. According to the record John Jennings and Hannah Sturgis, both of Sandwich, were married by Mr. Abraham Williams, minister of Sandwich, May 13, 1759. Hannah, born June 4, 1732, was the widow of Jonathan Sturgis and daughter of William and Bathshua (Bourne) Newcomb.
Deborah, Samuel (see below), John, Hannah, Bathsheba, Sarah, Nathaniel (mentioned below), and Mary - all born in Sandwich.

(IV) Samuel (2), eldest son of John (2) and Hannah (Newcomb) Jennings, was born in Sandwich, Mass., Nov. 15, 1762, and died in Leeds, Maine, March 23, 1842, in his eightieth year. He accompanied his father on his first visit to New Sandwich and was left there to continue the work of clearing the fam which they there began, and returned to Sandwich later on foot with others. The next spring he was sent back alone, to further improve the place. He boarded with Job Fuller, the earliest white settler in Wayne (1773), and exchanged work with Eben Wing. They secured only a poor "burn" of the timber on the ground, and the "turf" still left was deep; and they had to use the bag in which they brought their dinner to carry sand from the shore of the pond, to cover the corn they planted. Samuel soon wearied of this style of farming, and arranged with a neighbor to care for the crop, and again trudged back to Sandwich, and made the best excuse he could to his father for thus leaving the place in the wilderness of Maine. The next spring, when the time for going to New Sandwich drew nigh, Samuel seized an opportunity when his father was away and went to Plymouth, and thence to Boston, where he met some acquaintances and enlisted on board a privateer which made a successful cruise, capturing three prizes, Samuel returning to Boston as one of the crew of the third one. Samuel Jennings also served as a private in Captain Simeon's Fish's company, Colonel Freeman's regiment, on an alarm at Falmouth in Sept., 1779. The next year he went with his father and his family to Wayne.
Samuel Jennings in his account of the family at this times says, "They thought it rather hard times to live on smoked meat and keep their cattle on meadow hay." In the early spring when Samuel found the neighboring settlers could not pay in corn for certain utensils they had bought of his father the year before, he went to Littleborough, now Leeds, some ten miles away, and worked a week for Thomas Stinchfield, chopping and piling logs for a peck of corn a day. On Sunday he was set across the Androscoggin pond by the Stinchfield boys in a canoe, and carried his bushel and a half of corn on his back to his home, where he and his burden were warmly welcomes by the other members of the family. On the day Samuel completed his twenty-first year he refused to "tote" a bag of corn on his back through the woods to mill. His father was angry, disowned him, and told him to leave the place. But while the father was absent hunting that day in Port Royal, now Livermore, Samuel and his brother John seeing a bear swimming in the pond, dispatched it with an axe, dressed the carcass and hung it on a pole. The father returning from his hunt without game and seeing the supply of meat, inquired who killed the bear. Being told that Samuel had been chiefly instrumental in killing bruin, he withdrew his objections and the young man continued to live at the homestead.
In 1784 Samuel, accompanied by his brother John, took up a large tract of land, mostly rich intervale, on the bank of the Androscoggin river in Leeds, where the hamlet of West Leeds now is. This is still owned by his descendants in the male line. Somewhat later he returned to Sandwich and married. Leaving his wife there, he went to Hallowell, Maine, where he worked for his brother-in-law, John Beeman, for four dollars a month. In the spring of 1787, Mrs. Jennings with her infant son, Samuel, went to Hallowell, and thence to Wayne, where she met her husband. On their journey to Leeds they crossed the Androscoggin pong in a birch canoe; the wind blew a gale, the waves beat over the canoe, compelling the mother to sit very quiet in the bottom of the bark boat with her babe in her arms, while the father, alternately paddling and bailing, urged the canoe foreward. The shore was reached at last, and at the house of Thomas Stinchfield they were warmed and refreshed, their clothing dried, and again on foot they made their way through the woods to their home.
Samuel Jennings was a wealthy and influential farmer in Leeds.
He married in Sandwich, in 1785, Olive Tupper, daughter of Enoch and Mehitable (Davis) Tupper. She was born Feb. 16, 1763, and died April 20, 1848, aged eighty-five years. They were the parents of Samuel, who was born in Sandwich, Mass., and Perez Smith, one of the earliest born white children in Leeds.

(V) Samuel (3), elder of the two sons of Samuel (2) and Oliver (Tupper) Jennings, was born in Sandwich, Mass., Feb. 7, 1787, and died at the village of North Wayne, Maine, March 29, 1876, in te nintieth year of his age. Leeds in the days of his boyhood was little better than an unbroken forest; there was no school until after he was twelve years old, and many children received but little book knowledge; but he had all the school privileges the locality afforded and acquired a good common school education and a desire for reading, which a small library in the town afforded him some means of gratifying. He was a constant reader throughout his life, especially in his age, and became familiar with the Bible, works of history and other books. In the fall of 1809 he settled on a farm on the west side of North Wayne, where the active portion of his life was spent, except six years between 1826 and 1832, when he lived on the homestead in Leeds. From 1852 to 1868 he lived with his son Seth, and after that time on a place he bought on the north side of North Wayne.
He was a liberal, social and law-abiding citizen and a man of practical sagacity and determined will. He left a written account of the settlement of the family in Wayne and Leeds, from which much of the foregoing has been taken.
For a large part of his life he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, sining and playing the bass voil in the choir. He was a Whig until that party dissolved, and thereafter a Democrat. In the war of 1812 he served at Wiscasset in the coast defense. His health seemed to be always good, and he was never seriously ill till his last sickness.
Samuel Jennings married (first) in Middleborough, Mass., Jan. 14, 1809, Phebe Morton, born in Middleborough May 15, 1791, died at North Wayne, Oct. 26, 1858, aged sixty-seven years. She was the daughter of Seth (2) and Priscilla (Morton) Morton, and a cousin german of Rev. Daniel Oliver Morton, the father of Levi P. Morton, late Vice-President of the U.S. She was related, but more remotely, to Governor Marcus and Chief Justice Marcus Morton, of Mass. She was also a descendant of Stephen Hopkins of "Mayflower" fame, thus:
Deborah, daughter of Stephen Hopkins, married Andrew Ring; Mary Ring, their daughter, married John Morton (2), ancestor of Phebe Morton.
Samuel Jennings married (second), Dec. 20, 1868, by Rev. J. R. Masterman, of Wayne, to Laura M. (Rackley) Gilmore, widow of Ansel Gilmore, of Turner, who survived him and died in her seventy-fifth year, while on a visit to Livermore, Sept. 20, 1882.
Children of Samuel & Phebe:
1. Olive (first), born April 8, 1810, died Jan., 1811.
2. Olive (second), born Aug. 2, 1811, married Jan. 1, 1833, Captain James Lamb; died in Chesterville, Dec. 23, 1893, aged eighty-two.
3. Louisa, born Sept. 14, 1813, married March 6, 1836, Captain Morton Freeman, of Middleborough, Mass.; died May 24, 1844.
4. Lavinia, born June 12, 1815, died June 17, 1815.
5. Cleora, born Aug. 10, 1816, marred Willard Torrey, of Dixfield, March 4, 1845, and died in Auburn, Nov. 3, 1900, aged eighty-four.
6. Samuel M., mentioned below.
7. Lovias, see further.
8. Granville Temple, born Sept. 28, 1822, died Oct. 4, 1843.
9. Perez S., see below.
10. Seth W., receives mention below.
11. Martha, born March 9, 1828, married Jan. 15, 1846, John H. Lord; died at North Wayne, Feb. 19, 1854.
12. Velzora, born July 11, 1833, died Oct. 25, 1843.
13. Mary Helen, born March 30, 1837, died Sept. 8, 1843.

(VI) Samuel Morton, eldest son of Samuel and Phebe (Morton) Jennings, was born in Wayne, March 23, 1818, and died in Wayne, Sept. 25, 1877. He was educated in the common schools and grew to manhood a farmer. An old account book of his father shows that he worked for his grandfather Jennings in Leeds from March, 1832 to Nov. 25, 1835 - almost four years. He built the house at North Wayne afterward occupied by Captain Lamb and lived in it for a time. Later he bought the homestead of his father and lived on it from 1846 to 1874, disposed of it at the latter date and living in the village.
He was thrown from a horse in 1869 and so seriously injured that he was never afterward able to perform heavy labor. As a farmer he was diligent and successful, and ranked among the best of that class in Wayne, which is one of the best agricultural towns in Maine. He was a Democrat in young manhood, but became a member of the Know Nothing party, and later of the Republican party, which he loyally supported till his death. He cast his vote for John C. Fremont for president in 1856. He cared nothing for public office and would never allow his friends to make him a candidate for official position. He was a constant attendant and liberal supporter of the Methodist Episcopal church, but not a member; a man of strict integrity, and his word was as good as his bond, and either was as good as gold. He was a strong supporter of schools, both public and private, and gave his children opportunities for good educations.
He was married in Portland, March 15, 1842, by Rev. Mr. Pierce, to Mary Lobdell, who was born in Westbrook, Dec. 12, 1819, and died in Oakland, Sept. 15, 1893. She was the daughter of Isaac and Charlotte (Pratt) Lobdell, of Westbrook. She was a woman who possessed common sense in large measure, and was well informed on current topics; a pleasant companion, and greatly beloved by her husband and children.
1. Samuel W., mentioned below.
2. Aroline Edson, born Aug. 8, 1844, was married to Charles A. Hall, at North Wayne, Aug. 22, 1866, by Dr. Charles H. Barker. She died in Springfield, Mass. April 19, 1903, and was buried at North Wayne.
3. Zelina Elizabeth, born July 29, 1846, was married at Leominster, Mass., April 5, 1883, to Angus Dankason, by Rev. Dr. Savage. She died May 5, 1883, at Leominster, and was buried there.
4. Edward Lobdell, see below.
5. Annie May, born May 31, 1861, was married at Winthrop, Maine, Nov. 9, 1880, by Rev. David Church, to William Hurlbutt. She died at South Framingham, Mass., May 15, 1892, and was buried there.

(VII) Williston, first named Samuel Williston, eldest child of Samuel M. and Mary (Lobdell) Jennings, was born at North Wayne, March 24, 1843, and was educated in the common and high schools of Wayne and at the Maine Wesleyan Seminary. At seventeen years of age he left the farm, and worked at the jeweler's trade in Buckfield until April 28, 1861, when he responded to the first call for troops in the civil war and enrolled himself as a soldier. The organization which he joined had for its commissioned officers: Isaac H. McDonald, of Buckfield, captain; John P. Swasey, of Canton, now member of congress from the second district, first lieutenant; and Joseph Shaw, of Buckfield, second lieutenant. This company of more than one hundred men was mustered in May, 1861, and well drilled in camp until nearly the first of July, when on account of the state's quota being full, it was paid off and discharged. Young Jennings, still anxious to render service to the country, went to Boston, Mass., where he enlisted as a marine, July 9, 1861, and served till Aug. 13, 1862. On August 22, he was detached to serve on the "Cambridge," a steam propeller of one thousand tons, which had been taken from the merchant service and remodeled for the naval service. Her crew now consisted of one hundred and thirty-five officers and men, and her armament of four eight-inch guns, one twenty-four pound rifle gun and a thiry-two pound Parrott rifle gun, said to be the first Parrott gun mounted on shipboard. The two rifle guns were of long range, as subsequent service proved. The "Cambridge" went into commission Aug. 29, and sailed for Hampton Roads, Virginia, Sept. 4, 1861. She was assigned to the blockading squadron, and captured may blockade runners. In Feb. she joined the "Congress" and "Cumberland" at Newport News to guard the mouth of the James river and was at Hampton Roads March 8, 1862, when the famous rebel ram "Merrimac" attacked the federal fleet there, and took part in that celebrated battle which revolutionized modern naval warfare. He was one of the crew of the after pivot gun and was in the fight from start to finish. Three of the gun crew, Midshipman Cushing (who later, as Lieut. Cushing, blew up the "Albemarle"), J. H. Woods and Frank A. Kelley, were wounded. Between March 10 and 17 while at sea, Mr. Jennings wrote an account of the battle to his mother, in which he says of the "Cambridge": "She is cut up badly, both in her hull and top hamper, with her timbers stove in on her portside, her bowsprit gone close to her figure-head and her after pivot un split at the muzzle by a shell." Continuing he says: "I should like to go ashore once more, as I have not been for about seven months." This letter was written while en route to relieve the "State of Georgia," then at Beaufort, North Carolina, which went north to coal. The "Nashville," a well-known Confederate blockade runner, was in Beaufort harbor when the "Cambridge" arrived, but escaped from one of the unguarded entrances to the harbor the following night. In May the "Cambridge" was ordered to Baltimore for repairs. A month after arriving there Mr. Jennings was transferred to the "Alleghany," where, after serving a month, he was discharged on surgeon's certificate, for disability incurred while in the line of duty. He returned to Wayne, where he remained until August, 1864, when he enlisted in the quarter-master's department, U.S. army, and went from Boston, Mass., to Nashville, Tennessee, and served as a member of the guard on various government steamers on the Cumberland and Ohio rivers. Just before the battle of Nashville, Dec. 15-16, 1864, he was one of the many armed and sent forward from the levy to take part in that engagement. He was under the command of General Donaldson and stationed on the right wing of the army in the rifle-pits on the turnpike where he remained four days, during two of which he was engaged in the fighting. During the most of this time rain fell heavily and filled the entrenchments knee-deep with mud and water, and as those who had been brought off the ships had neither overcoats nor blankets their condition was of the most serious character. To alleviate his discomfort in some degree, Mr. Jennings went over the breast-works in the night and secured a pair of blankets one of the enemy had no further use for. The utter rout of the rebel General Hood and his forces, relieved the Union army of further need of the aid of those of Mr. Jennings's class, and in Feb., 1865, he was discharged by reason of expiration of service, and returned to Wayne.
In the summer of 1863 he apprenticed himself to the shoemaker's trade. After the war he spent two years at Middleborough, Mass., and then a year at Kent's Hill, Maine, and then removed to North Wayne. He was a shoemaker and dealer in boots and shoes from the time he went to Kent's Hill till he lost his store at North Wayne, by fire, in 1889. He then gave up the shoe business, and for about a year was an insurance solicitor. In 1885 he was appointed agent of the North Wayne Water Power Company, and filled that place three years. From 1891 to the present (1908) time he has been superintendent of the North Wayne Tool Company and agent of the North Wayne Water Power Company.
In political faith he is a consisent Republican. He was postmaster at North Wayne for terms of two and four years, was appointed jutice of the peace by Governor Garacelon in 1879, and has ever since filled that office; was a member of the legislature 1894-96, and was a member of the Republican town committee ten or fifteen years. For four or five years past he has been a notary public, and since his appointment as justice of the peace he has prepared deeds conveying nearly all the real estate in the vicinity of North Wayne. He has been administrator of many estates and has assisted many executors of wills and administrators in the discharge of their duties, and performed many marriage ceremonies. In the compilation of the History of Wayne he was prominent, and had charge of the preparation of the town's military history. In all matters of public benefit, both secular and religious, he has borne an ample share of the expense.
In 1880 he was made a Mason in Asylum Lodge, No. 133, Free and Accepted Masons, and served as secretary of that body continuoulsy from the following election till 1889. He is a member of Starling Grange, No. 156, Patrons of Husbandry; and also of Lewis H. Wing Post, No. 167, Grand Army of the Republic, of which he was commander one year.
Williston Jennings was married June 1, 1870, at Kent's Hill, by Rev. Dr. Weber, to Melora Elzada Faunce, of Wayne, who was born at North Wayne Jan. 15, 1847, daughter of Samuel and Mary E. (Currier) Faunce.
Charlotte Morton, b. Nov. 9, 1872. She married (first) Aug. 8, 1891, Otis Howard Nelke, of Wayne, son of Solomon A. and Pamelia (Raymond) Nelke. He was born in Wayne, Feb. 18, 1864, and died Dec. 30, 1895, leaving one child, Gladys Leone, b. July 29, 1895, who resides with Mr. Jennings. Charlotte M. married (second) Nov. 14, 1898, at Lewiston, George R. Hall, and lives in Lewiston.

(VII) Edward Lobdell, second son of Samuel M. and Mary (Lobdell) Jennings, was born at North Wayne, April 14, 1850, and died in Waterbury, Connecticut, Nov. 6, 1908, and was buried at Hyde Park, Mass. He was educated in the public schools and at Maine Wesleyan Seminary. In June, 1870, he went to Boston and spent the greater part of the two following years in finding a satisfactory position. In Feb., 1872, he entered the employ of W. A. Wood & Company of Boston, dealers in oil and general lubricants. In 1874 he began to sell oil on the road; in 1886 he became assistant manager, and in 1900 manager of the concern, which position he held until 1901. In the latter year he resigned to become purchsing agent of the American Brass Comapny, of Watebury, Conn., and continued to hold that place till his death. In 1903 the charge of the traffic department was added to his duties. He was a man of superior executive ability and commanded a large salary.
He was a member of the First Congregational Church of Waterbury. In politics he was a Republican. He was also a Mason, a member of Hyde Park Lodge, Hyde Park, Mass., and also of the Chapter, Council and commandery there. The only club in which he had a membership was the Waterbury.
He was a kind and affectionate husband, fond of his children, for whose welfare he was always alert, providing them with good educations; fond of music, a good singer, a gentleman whose pleasing personality won and kept many friends.
Edward L. Jennings married (first) Dec. 14, 1874, in Boston, Mass., Mary Evelyn Brockway, who was born in Bradford, N. H., March 15, 1850, and died in Hyde Park, Aug. 1, 1892. She was the daughter of Lyman and Eurania Brockway. He was married (second) in Hyde Park, Mas., to Mabel Blanche Caffin, by Rev. Francis Williams, Oct. 15, 1902. She was born in Dorchester, Mass. April 22, 1862, daugther of Francis Henry and Harriet (Butters) Caffin.
Children by 1st wife:
1. Ralph Wood, mentioned below.
2. Edward Morton, has extended mention below.
3. Ina Frances, born in Hyde Park, Jan. 24, 1884, was educated in Hyde Park and Winthrop schools, at St. Margaret's Diocesan school, Waterbury, Conn., and the New England Convervatory of Music. She was married in Waterbury, Conn. to Horace Richardson, by Rev. John N. Lewis, July 18, 1906.
4. Nevill Brockway, born in Hyde Park, Oct. 10, 1888, was educated in the Hyde Park and Winthrop schools. Oct. 1, 1904, he was washed from the deck of the ship "Atlas" and drowned in the Indian Ocean, while on a voyage from New York to Shanghai.
5. Walter Lobdell, born in Hyde Park, July 21, 1892, died May 3, 1907.
Child of 2d wife:
6. Evelyn Lauriat, child of second wife, born in New York, Feb. 13, 1904.

(VIII) Ralph Wood, eldest child of Edward L. and Mary E. (Brockway) Jennings, was born in East Cambridge, Mass., Oct. 26, 1875, and was educated in the public schools of Hyde Park and the Mass. Nautical Training School. He has filled the position of superintendent for the Rice & Hutchinson Shoe Company of Rockland, Mass., for some years.
He married, in New York, Aug. 15, 1896, Belle Hutchings, and has two children:
Ralph Edward, b. in New York June 14, 1897.
Howard Lobdell, b. in Rockland, Mass., Sept. 26, 1900.

(VIII) Edward Morton, second son of Edward L. and Mary E. (Brockway) Jennings, was born in East Cambridge, Mass. Nov. 29, 1877. After passing the grammar, and a year in the high school in Hyde Park, he entered the Mass. Natutical Training School in 1893 and graduated after a two years' course in marine and electrical engineering. His first position after graduation was as cadet in engineering on the steamship "St. Paul" of the American line plying between New York and Southampton, England. He filled that place a short time and then was engineer for the Benedict Burnahm Manufacturing Comapny, of Waterbury, Conn. He was with that compnay at the outbreak of the Spanish-American war, when he offered his services to the government and was commissioned assistant engineer with the relative rank of ensign in the U. S. navy, June 3, 1898, thus becoming the youngest commissioned officer in the U. S. navy. He saw service as acting chief engineer of the U. S. steamship "Piscataqua" on the Havana blockade and was later transferred to the U. S. steamer "Vixen," and honorably discharged in Jan., 1899, the war having ended.
Returning to Massachusetts, he became assistant engineer in the employ of the Edison Electrical Illuminating Company of Boston, from which he went to the employ of John P. Squire & Company, of Cambridge, as mechanical engineer. After two years service there, in 1902, he entered the employ of the Parson Manufacturing Company, and for six years past has acted as sales agent for it in New England, selling forced draft equipments for steam boilers.
In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of Winthrop Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of Winthrop, Mass., the Winthrop and Cottage Park Yacht clubs, also American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New England Society of Naval Engineers, and Military and Naval Order of the Spanish-American War.
He was married in Winthrop, Mass., Oct. 16, 1901, by Rev. William S. Key, to Grace Willis Waite, who was born in Calais, Maine, April 27, 1880, daughter of Horace and Julia Carolyn (Washburn) Waite. Mr. Waite is a commission merchant in Boston.
Laurence Williston, b. Sept. 2, 1902.
Edward Morton, b. Nov. 24, 1906.
Both born in Winthrop.

(VI) Lovias, second son of Samuel (3) and Phebe (Morton) Jennings, was born in Wayne, March 10, 1820, and died in Turner, July 31, 1903, aged eighty-three. He was married by Stephen Bray, Esq., Oct. 5, 1843, at East Turner, to Jane Millett, who was born in Turner, Aug. 13, 1825, daughter of Israel and Betsey (Harris) Millett, of Turner, and died Feb. 26, 1901, aged seventy-five.
He lived on the farm his father-in-law had owned near Keens Mills. In politics he was a Democrat. he was a sociable man and a good judge of stock.
1. Lovias Miletus, born June 26, 1844, died March 1, 1846.
2. Isidore, born Oct. 21, 1845, married April 14, 1875, Simeon Goodwin, and lives in Tacoma, Washington.
3. Louisa Maria, b. Oct. 7, 1848, died June 1, 1858.
4. Mary Helen, b. May 3, 1851, married Nov. 26, 1873, Austin Hutchinson, and died Feb. 21, 1886.
5. Julia E., b. Feb. 19, 1854, married in Auburn, Feb. 23, 1881, Zebulon Tyler Newell and resides in Auburn.
6. George W. H., born April 27, 1858, died July 21, 1862.
7. Lilla Jane, b. March 19, 1862, married (first) Oct. 13, 1878, Fred B. Wing, from whom she obtained a divorce. She married (second) May 17, 1904, F. Walter Marden, of Turner.
8. William Harris, b. March 28, 1865, married in Turner Jan. 17, 1888, Rose Hill.
9. Infant, born May 8, 1868, died May 20, 1868.
10. Minnie, b. Oct. 24, 1869, died in Lewiston, June, 1889.

(VI) Dr. Perez Smith, fourth son of Samuel (3) and Phebe (Morton) Jennings, was born in Wayne, July 22, 1824, and died in Clinton, Missouri, Feb. 28, 1893. He was educated in the common schools and at the Maine Wesleyan Seminary; and in 1851 went to Missouri, where after teaching about three years he entered the medical department of the University of the State of Missouri, commonly known as McDowell's Medical College, in St. Louis, from which he graduated Feb. 27, 1855. He then entered the practice of medicine at Clinton, where for thirty-eight years he was one of the most successful and most popular physicians.
He was a Democrat and held the office of alderman and member of the school board at various times and was mayor of Clinton three terms, 1874-75-76. In religious faith he was a Missionary Baptist, and one of the three most liberal and influential supporters of the flourishing First Church at Clinton. He was always kind and charitable to the poor and needy, and after his death he was universally mourned by rich and poor alike. The amount he disbursed in charities was large.
For twenty-eight years he was associated professionally with Dr. John H. Britts, a leading physician and surgeon of southwest Missouri.
Dr. Jennings married June 14, 1857, in Henry county, Missouri, Laura Vickers, who was born in Muhlenburg county, Kentucky, Dec. 20, 1838, daughter of Absalom and Elizabeth (Welch) Vickers, of Henry county.
1. Williston Temple, b. Aug. 4, 1865, is a practicing physician in Clinton. He married, Oct. 25, 11893, Anna C. Fewell, daughter of R. Z. Fewell, of Henry county.
2. Olvie Vickers, b. April 20, 1870, married Oct. 25, 1893, Rev. Mark W. Barcafer, now pastor of William Jewell (Baptist) Church, in Kansas City, Missouri.

(VI) Seth Williston, youngest son of Samuel (3) and Phebe (Morton) Jennings, was born in Leeds, April 18, 1826, and died at North Wayne, March 10, 1882, aged fifty-six years. He attended school unti eighteen years of age and then was a seafarer for about five years, making a whaling voyage in the middle Atlantic and later voyages to ports of Cuba and the southern and eastern coasts of the U. S. After 1849 he was engaged in farming just east of North Wayne, and also carried on the manufacture of soap. His little farm was one of the best kept and most carefully cultivated in the town, and the orchards he planted and the stone walls he built upon it were memorials to his industry. He was an untiring toiler, and a true-hearted and generous friend.
In political belief he was a Democrat. He enlisted for service in the civil war, April 5, 1865, and was a private in the Thirtieth Company Unassigned Infanty.
He was married (first) in Turner, by Daniel Chase, Esq., June 14, 1849, to Delia Malenville Gilmore, who was born in Turner, June 14, 1829, and died in Wayne, Sept. 14, 1865, aged thirty-six years. She was the daughter of Ansel and Laura M. (Rackley) Gilmore, of Turner, and granddaughter of Elisha Gilmore, ...

[trans note: oh rats, this skips two entire pages at this point. If they should show up, I'll insert them. Sorry about that. I hate when this happens.]

......served thirty-one days on a secret expedition to Rhode Island in Sept. and Oct., 1777. He was also a private in Captain Allen's company, of Colonel Jeremiah Hall's regiment. This company marched Dec. 8, 1776, to Bristol, Rhode Island, and was in service ninety-two days. He was also in Captain John Barrow's company, Colonel Ebenezer Sproutt's regiment, serving from Sept. 6 to Sept.1 2, 1778; the company marched from Middleboro to Dartmouth on two alarms; one in May and one in Sept., 1778.
Seth MORTON was commissioned, Oct. 28, 1778, second lieutenant in Captain Finney's (Eleventh) company, Colonel Theophilus Cotton's (First Plymouth County) regiment of Mass. militia.
He married (first) Nov. 20, 1783, Rosamond Finney; (second) May 21, 1789, his cousin, Priscilla Morton, fifth child of Ebenezer (2) and Sarah (Cobb) Morton, who was born Oct. 4, 1763, and died Feb. 19, 1847.
Child by 1st wife:
Children by 2d wife:
Samuel, Phebe, Seth, Hepsibah, Ebenezer, Livy, Lydia and Elias.

(VII) Phebe, second child and eldest daughter of Seth (2) and Priscilla (Morton) Morton, was born in Middleboro, May 15, 1791. She married, in Middleboro, Jan. 14, 1809, Samuel Jennings of Wayne, Maine.

Blind Counter