Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


This is an ancient English family which came into England with William the Conqueror in 1066, and can be traced back to Hugh Hoese of the year 1014. He married a daughter of the third Duke of Normandy, and his name became changed form its German form to the French, De Hosey, and this has been anglicized to Hussey.
Very soon after its arrival in this country the family became identified with the Society of Friends or Quakers, and most of its members have ever since continued in that affiliation. In England it is represented by Sir George Alfred Ernest Hussey, who was mayor of Southampton from 1898 to 1901. In this country, William J. Hussey, an astronomer of note, is the author of many scientific works and professor at the Univ. of Michigan. It is supposed that all the Husseys in this country, who can trace their ancestry through several generations, are descended from Christopher Hussey, of Hampton, New Hampshire. This New England family dates its history in America from the year 1630 and is descended from the still older English family of the same name which in the last half of the sixteenth century was seated in Dorking, Surrey.
The first authentic account we have of the family here under consideration is the record of marriage of John Hussey and Mary Wood, Dec. 5, 1693, when they both were of Dorking, and were persons of good position and of moderate estate in lands. John Hussey died in England, leaving a widow and children. Of the latter the records are meagre, but there is known to have been a son John, who died young, a son Christopher and one or more daughters, of whom we have no authentic account.

(I) Christopher Hussey, immigrant, founder of the family of his surname in America, is presumed to have been a son of John and Mary (Wood) Hussey, or Dorking, and while there is nothing to rebut this presumption there are many circumstances which sustain it, as will be seen from what is hereinafter mentioned.
He was born in Dorking, Surrey, England, Feb. 18, 1599. He doubtless was among the parishioners of Rev. Stephen Bachilor, and went to Holland with others of the pastor's flock in order to escape religious persecutions to which they were subjected in England; and it was only on his promise to emigrate to this country that Mr. Bachilor consented to give his daughter Theodate in marriage to Capt. Hussey. The marriage took place in England, but whether before or after the exodus to Holland is not certain. However, Christopher Hussey and his wife sailed from Southampton in the "William and Francis" in May, 1630, and landed at Charlestown, New England, about July 23, of the same year. They took up their abode in Saugus (then Lynn), where Rev. Mr. Bachilor joined them two years later, and became the first minister of that town. While living there Christopher Hussey's eldest child Stephen was born, the second white child born in the town. Subsequently he was one of the prominent men of Newbury, but he appears to have figured still more prominently as one of the proprietors of Hampton, New Hampshire, for it is written in the history of that town that "Christo" Hussey and a widow, Mary Hussey, were among the grantees of Hampton. She is presumed to have been the widow of John Hussey, of Dorking, and mother of Christopher Hussey, the immigrant, and that she came over in the same ship with her son and the others of Mr. Bachilor's flock. In Hampton their lots were on opposite sides of the Meeting-house Green, the widow's five acre houselot being about where the town house now stands. In 1650 "ould mistris husse and her dafter husse" were assigned seats in the meeting-house, and while there is no record elsewhere of such "dafter" (daughter) it is probable that this mention has reference to the wife or daughter of the widow's son.
Captain Hussey was a man of considerable prominence in Hampton and was chosen to several important offices, first deacon of the church, magistrate, captain of militia, town clerk, selectman and representative to the assembly. When New Hampshire was made a royal province he was one of the commissioners mentioned in the charter. In 1650 he sold all his lands in what now is Hampton and moved to the "Falls Side" (Hampton Falls). In 1659 he was one of the purchasers of Nantucket, and subsequently commanded an ocean vessel. It is believed that the record of death, Oct. 20, 1649, refers to the death of his wife Theodate, but it may have had reference to his daughter of that name, as her death appears on the record at the same date.
He married (second) Dec. 9, 1658, Ann, widow of Jeffrey Mingay. She died July 24, 1680. Capt. Hussey died March 6, 1686.
Capt. Henry Dow wrote in his diary for March 8, 1686, that he was "at Captain Hussey's burial," from which it is clear that he died in Hampton and was not, as Savage says, "cast away off the coast of Florida."
At the time of his death Capt. Hussey was about ninety years old.
Stephen, John, Mary, Theodate and Huldah.
In his "History of Hampton" Dow mentions another son Joseph and says "he was representative from H. in 1672." Captain Hussey himself was representative in that year and on the record his name is written "Xtopher," hence the mis-reading of his abbreviation has given rise to the belief that he had a son of that name.

(II) Stephen, eldest son of Capt. Christopher and Theodate (Bachilor) Hussey, was born in Saugus (Lynn) Mass., in 1632, and the secnd white child born there and the first child baptized in America by Rev. Stephen Bachilor. Previous to his marriage Stephen Hussey lived at Barbadoes and was possessed of considerable property when he settled at Nantucket. He was a devout member of the Society of Friends, and at one time was representative to the general court. He died at Nantucket, April 2, 1718; married there Oct. 8, 1676, Martha Bunker, b. Nov. 11, 1656, died Sept. 21, 1744, daughter of George and Jane (Godfrey) Bunker, and granddaughter of William Bunker.
Buella, born Oct. 10, 1677.
Abigail, born Dec. 22, 1679; married Thomas Rowse.
Sylvanus, born May 13, 1682.
Bechelder, mentioned below.
Daniel, born Oct. 20, 1687.
Mary, born March 24, 1690.
George, born June 21, 1694.
Theodate, born Sept. 15, 1750. [trans note: this date has to be incorrect].

(III) Bachelder (sometimes written Bachilor and Bachelor), second son of Stephen and Martha (Bunker) Hussey, was born in Nantucket, Feb. 18, 1685, lived there many years and then returned to Biddeford, Maine. One account of his life states that he was a minister of the Society of Friends, and another, an old record, says that because of "a little difficulty arising between Bachelder and Sylvester (his brother), the former removed to Maine for a time, and also that some of his family settled there. Another account has it that he was engaged in the coasting or West India trade.
He married, Oct. 11, 1704, Abigail Hale (or Halle) of Bosotn.
Christopher, born Dec. 9, 1706.
Mary, born Dec. 9, 1707.
Jedidiah (a daughter), born July 27, 1708.
John, born Aug. 6, 1710.
Stephen, born Aug. 14, 1713.
Huldah, born Dec. 8, 1716.
Ebenezer, born Dec. 7, 1718.
Paul, born April 12, 1720.
Sylvanus, born March 11, 1722.
Moses and Hepzibah.

(IV) Stephen, son of Bachelder and Abigail (Hale) Hussey, was born in Nantucket, Aug. 14, 1713, and died in Berwick, Maine, May 8, 1770. He married Eunice Baxter, born Aug. 10, 1714, died June 9, 1768, dau. of William Baxter, and by whom he had twelve children, the first nine of whom were born in Biddeford and the last three in Berwick, Maine.
Daniel, Bachelder, William, Margaret, Deborah, Bachelder, William, Margaret, Deborah, Hepzibah, Phebe, Stephen, Ruth, Marian and Walter.

(V) Bachlder, second son of Stephen and Eunice (Baxter) Hussey, was born in Biddeford, Maine, June 1, 1745, and died in Berwick Feb. 15, 1794. He married, in Berwick, Dec. 1, 1768, Sarah Hanson, born Somersworth, N. H., Nov. 13, 1750, dau. of Isaac Hanson.
Children, b. in Berwick:
Sylvanus, Isaac, Peter H., James H., Huldah, Bachelder, Deaniel and Stephen.

(VI) Daniel, sixth son of Bachelder and Sarah (Hanson) Hussey, was born in Berwick, Maine, 4 9mo 1782, and died Jan. 21, 1862. It has been written in various accounts of the life of Daniel Hussey that he was born Dec. 16, 1789, and that he "probably was the Daniel Hussey who lived in Madison, Maine, from whence he travelled on horseback to Albion, Maine, about 1808, soon after the birth of his eldest son," that he was a farmer in Madison, the old homestead being still in possession of the family, and the original buildings still standing. It may be said, however, that recent investigations have disclosed a probable error in the foregoing statement, as will be seen by an extract from a letter written in 1905 by Henry S. Webster, treasurer of the Gardiner Savings Institution, Gardiner, Maine, to Mrs. Mary H. Roberts, in which the writer says: "I have lately received a copy of a record kept in a family Bible by a Daniel Hussey (answering to the above description), from which it appears that he moved to Vassalboro, was twice married, and had nine children, whose names do not correspond with those of your family."
Daniel Hussey married Fannie Crosby, born 20 4mo. 1788, died Aug. 17, 1861. One account mentions their children as being: Albert, John, Silas, Ruel, George and Mary; and another and more ample records of their children is as follows:
1. John, born 19 8mo. 1807, died Feb. 29, 1864; married March 29, 1836, Mary Kidder, and had John Martin, b. June 16, 1837, and George Oscar, b. March 25, 1840.
2. Albert, born 8 9mo. 1809, died June 20, 1871.
3. Silas, born 31 10mo. 1811.
4. Patience, born 15 9mo. 1813, died Jan. 29, 1853; married Dec. 25, 1837, Joseph Hodgkins.
5. James, born 15 8mo. 1815, died April 16, 1837.
6. Joseph, born 20 3mo. 1819, died Aug. 2, 1882; married Jan. 10, 1841, Elizabeth Ford.
7. Charles, born 27 1mo. 1822, died Nov. 1, 1892; married (first) Feb. 7, 1847, Elizabeth A. Small, (second) July 11, 1881, Mary Dudley.
8. Sarah, born 23 4mo. 1824, died Jan. 14, 1848; married Dec. 31, 1846, Paul Tomlinson.
9. Ruel, born 11 9mo. 1826, died Jan. 2, 1867.
10. Mary, born 26 7mo. 1828, died April 1, 1868.
11. George, born 20 11mo. 1831, died Feb. 2, 1900; married Aug. 4, 1870, Maria Goslin.

(VII) Silas, son of Daniel and Fannie (Crosby) Hussey, was born in Albion, Maine, Oct. 31, 1811, and died there July 17, 1894. He was an extensive farmer and successful stock dealer, and is said to have been one of the largest apple growers of the state in his time.
He attended the services of the Christian church, and in politics he was a firm Democrat.
He married Jane Wellington, who was born in Albion in 1823 and died there in 1900.
1. Isabel, married (first) Joel Kelley, (second) Theodore Perkins, and had one son, Bert Perkins.
2. John W., born Aug. 26, 1842, married (first) Oct. 10, 1873, Mary Key Crosby, and had two daughters, Lucia M., b. Sept. 5, 1875, d. Dec. 4, 1888, and Edith A., b. Dec. 4, 1876. Married (second) Fannie Goodspeed, born Aug. 2, 1853, and had Clarence Wellington, b. Oct. 28, 1892.
3. Charles Walter, born Oct. 22, 1845.
4. Fannie, married Oct. 25, 1871, Cyrus A. Leavitt, and had Gertrude and Carl Leavitt.
5. Bert S., married June 2, 1891, Marion F. Ayer, and had Raymond Rudd, b. May 9, 1893, and Gladys.
6. Mary Jane, born Feb. 2, 1854, died Jan. 15, 1884; married Oct. 22, 1882, Lucian S. Tilton, and had Lucien Tilton, b. Jan. 6, 1884, d. March 1, 1906.
7. Fred Knowlton, born June 4, 1858, married Sept. 20, 1885, Mabel Estelle Carr, and had Marion Carr, b. Oct. 6, 1889; Forest Wellington, b. March 20, 1892; Fred Knowlton, b. Oct. 16, 1895.

(VIII) Charles Walter, second son and third chld of Silas and Jane (Wellington) Hussey, was born in Albion, Maine, Oct. 22, 1845, and acquired his earlier literary education in the public schools of his native town and academy at China, Maine. He enlisted when eighteen years of age in the civil war in the First Maine Battalion, was made quartermaster-sergeant; he was in Washington at the time President Lincoln was assassinated and was present at the burning of the barn when Booth was captured; he was honorably discharged at the close of the war.
He took up the study of law in the office and under the direction of Hon. S. S. Brown, of Fairfield and Waterville, remained there for three years and in 1892 was admitted to practice in the courts of this state. Having come to the bar he began his professional career as partner with his former preceptor, which relation was maintained until 1895, when he withdrew from the partnership and has since practiced alone. Thus for more than fifteen years Mr. Hussey has been an active member of the Waterville bar and enjoys a favorable acquaintance in all professional circles as a strong lawyer, a safe and prudent counsellor, and a man with whom principles always prevail rather than expeients. His practice is large, and naturally is successful; and his offices, among the most finely appointed in the state, reflect somethng of a man in his professional methods and personal character. He is not in any snes a public man, although not wanting in political interest, and the extent of his holdings have been limited to his incumbency of the office of town auditor of Albion, which he filled while living in that town, and town agent of Albion for many years.
Mr. Hussey married Oct. 22, 1866, Grace Osgood, born Palermo, Maine, March 28, 1846, daughter of Edward and Mary (Baker) Osgood.


(For early generations see preceding sketch).

(IV) Ebenezer, fifth son of Bachelder and Abigail (Hale) Hussey, was born Dec. 7, 1718, in Nantucket, Mass., and removed to Berwick, Maine. His ancient homestead in that portion of the town now North Berwick, is still in existence in a very good state of preservation. For many generations, he and his descendants were of very high standing in the Society of Friends, occupying the first of the high seats in the church, and having charge of the finances and investments of the community.
Ebenezer Hussey was married in 1744, to Miriam Morrell. No record of their children can be found. [trans. note: if this is true, where do they get the info for the next paragraph?]

(V) Ebenezer (2), son of Ebenezer (1) and Miriam (Morrell) Hussey, was born about 1745, in North Berwick, and resided there throughout his life, succeeding his father in a responsible position among the Quakers.

(VI) Ebenezer (3), son of Ebenezer (2) Hussey, was born about the time of the revolution, in North Berwick, but the alarms of war had little effect on the child, as his ancestry and parents were people opposed to war. He rose to high rank in the society, and occupied the head seat at their meetings. A man of good judgment, the investments of the society prospered under his charge. He owned a large farm on Pilgrim Hill at North Berwick, and was a useful and respected citizen.
He married, in 1793, Mercy Austin.
Peletiah, Ebenezer, Andrew, George, Samuel F., Mercy and Thankful.
The eldest succeeded his father as head of the Quaker organization.

(VII) Samuel F., fifth son of Ebenezer (3) and Mercy (Austin) Hussey, was born in 1802, at North Berwick, and settled at Union, Maine, where he died at an early age of thirty-five years. He was educated in the town schools and at the high school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. On settling at Union he bought a woolen mill in company with William Allen, and was the successful manager of its operation until his death in 1837.
He adhered to the teachings of his ancestry, and was a member of the Society of Friends. He married in 1831, Nancy T. Atwood, of Pittston, Maine.
Lucy Ellen and Erwin Albert.
The daughter became the wife of Captain Abel Patten, and was lost at sea in the ship "Tommy Hussey," owned by her brother.

(VIII) Captain Erwin Albert, only son of Samuel F. and Nancy (Atwood) Hussey, was born March 29, 1833, in Union, and was but four years old at the time of his father's death. At the age of twelve years he went to sea in the ship "Charlie Main," of Thomaston, Maine, a vessel of three hundred and twenty-five tons, and so large for the times that people came from all parts of the state to see her. At the age of twenty-one years, Capt. Hussey was in command of one of the largest packet ships between New York and Liverpool, the "Escort," of St. George line. Previous to this he had a most adventurous experience. When eighteen years of age he served in the Indian Sepoy war, ranking as captain in the British East Indian navy and colonel of the army. He continued to follow the sea for nearly thirty years, and his last command was the steamship "Daniel Webster." In 1861 he retired from the sea and engaged in the banking business in New York City. For forty-four years he held membership in the New York Stock Exchange, and retired from active business in 1904.
The firm of Hussey & Company, which he founded is still (1908) in active business, headed by his son.
In 1859 Capt. Hussey was married to Harriet (Frances) Southard, of Richmond, Maine, and their only son, Thomas J., was born in 1860. The latter was married, in 1896, to Marion W. Haley, and has a daughter, Hattie Morse Hussey, born in 1898.
The only daughter of Capt. E. A. Hussey, Hattie Bishop, born 1862, in New York, died in that city in 1897. In 1887 she became the wife of Charles W. Morse, of Bath, Maine, and they had four children: Benjamin W., Erwin A., Harry B., and Anna E., all now living.


The Husseys of New England are descended from various immigrant ancestors, among whom are:
Christopher, of Lynn, 1632.
Stephen, probably his brother, of Nantucket.
Joseph, of Hampton, another brother.
Robert of Duxbury, 1643.
Robert, of Dover, on the tax list 1659.
Robert, of Boston, freeman 1690.
William, an early settler of Reading.
Richard, of this sketch.

(I) Richard Hussey, with his wife Jane, settled in Dover, N. H. about 1690. He is supposed to have migrated from England or Ireland. He died before Aug. 21, 1733, when his son Richard was appointed administrator of the estate of Jane Hussey.
June 20, 1696, Richard Hussey, his wife Jane joining, conveys to Leonard Weeks, for fifty pounds, all his interest in thirty acres of upland "adjoining to ye Great Bay in ye town of Dover." In this deed he is described as a weaver. Feb. 25, 1710, he conveys to Benjamin Waymouth of Dover, for thirteen pounds, "One Messuage or tract of Land being a Grant to the said Richard Huzsey by the Town of Dover. Sittuate, Lying and being att a Garrison Called Sligoe." (Somersworth), "In the Town and Province above said Containing by estimation thirty acres." In this deed Jane releases "all her right of dowrie and power of third," but does not sign. Her signature to the first deed and Richard's signature to both deeds is by mark. July 5, 1743, Job and Joseph Hussey, two of Richard's sons, deeded to Thomas Wallingford some "upland & Swamp Ground" near the Great Falls in the parish of Somersworth, which is described as part of a "Fifth Acre Grant" made to their late father in 1694.
Richard, Job, Robert, Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth, Eleanor, Abigial, Jane, William, Margaret and Benjamin.

(II) William, tenth child and fifth son of Richard and Jane Hussey, born in Dover, March 24, 1711, died Jan. 22, 1773. He was a Friend, and in deeds is called a "taylor," but in his will he calls himself a "husbandman." He resided in Dover and owned real estate there. His will, dated the "27th day of 7th month, 1777," was probated on the second Wednesday of Feb., 1778. In it he mentions wife Hannah, sons Paul, William, Stephen, Timothy, and daughters Mercy Hussy, Mary Fry, and Abigail Varney. Timothy was executor.
William Hussey married about 1730, Hannah Robinson, born Nov. 21, 1707, died April 20, 1793, aged eighty-six. She was the daughter of Timothy and Mary (Roberts) Robinson. Her mother was the daughter of John and Abigail (Nutter) Roberts, and Abigail was the daughter of Hatevil and Anne Nutter.
Paul, Mercy, William, Mary, Abigail, Timothy and Stephen.

(III) William (2), third child and second son of William (1) and Hannah (Robinson) Hussey, born on the second day of the seventh month, 1739, died June 3, 1821, aged eighty-two. He married (first) at Dover, N. H., Jan. 6, 1768, Phebe, daughter of John and Phebe (Austin) Hanson. She was born on the eighteenth of the fourth month, 1744, and died July 16, 1792. He married (second) at Berwick, Maine, Sept. 24, 1795, Sarah, daughter of Isaac, late of Somersworth, and Sarah Hanson, and widow of Batchelor Hussey, of Berwick, to whom she was married in Berwick Dec. 12, 1768.
Children, all b. in Berwick, Maine:
James, John, Hannah, Sarah, William, Paul, Abigail, Mary and Elizabeth.

(IV) James, eldest child of William (2) and Phebe (Hanson) Hussey, born in Berwick, Maine, Nov. 14, 1768, died Dec. 27, 1850, aged eighty-two. He married (first) at Berwick, Feb. 28, 1793, Temperance Buffum, born Dec. 25, 1772, died Nov. 18, 1815, daughter of Caleb and Hannah (Varney) Buffum; (second), Elizabeth Buffun. sister of Temperance, born Sept. 9, 1774, died Jan. 3, 1852.
Children, all by 1st wife:
Joseph, Phebe (died young), Hannah, William, Sarah, John, Phebe, James and Temperance.

(V) James (2), eighth child and fourth son of James (1) and Temperance (Buffum) Hussey, born in North Berwick, Aug. 3, 1810, died in Portland, Maine, Feb. 21, 1892, aged eighty-two. He was a farmer and a member of the Friends Church. He resided in early life in North Berwick, where all his children were born.
He married, at North Berwick Oct. 2, 1834, Rebecca J. Prescott, born in N. Berwick April 26, 1816, died in Vassalboro Jan. 8, 1873. She was the daughter of Josiah and Elizabeth (Hill) Prescott, of North Berwick.
Elizabeth Jane, John Meader, Almira Cynthia and Ellen Rebecca.

(VI) Almira Cynthia, third child and second daughter of James (2) and Rebecca J. (Prescott) Hussey, born in North Berwick, Dec. 29, 1848, married, in Vassalboro Dec. 11, 1872, Henry P. Cox of Portland.

Blind Counter