Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
HIGHT, (HOYT, HAIGHT)
This name, which appears in a dozen forms or more in New England records, is the surname of a very numerous family in New Hampshire and other parts of New England. The family of Hight (originally Hoyt) taok the present form of the name after coming into Maine. The family is and has been of the class from which people who "do things" come. A majority of them have been honest, industrious farmers and mechanics. Few are extremely poor, or found among the low and degraded. There are found wealthy men who bear the name, and some occupy high positions in society. A very respectable percentage of them are in the professions, especiallyh that of medicine; but that for which the Hoyts have been most distinguished as a family is their patriotism; and there has been no war of any magnitude since their settlement in which the "fighting Hoyts" have not taken rank both in number and also in quality as soldiers.
(I) Sergeant John Hoyt, the settler, from whom have sprung the Hoyts, Haights and Hights of this article, first appears as one of the original settlers of Salisbury, Mass. Whether he came directly from England, or had already lived in other towns in New England, is uncertain. John Hoyt had a family and was living in Salisbury before Oct., 1639. He was almost the only person who received all his earlier grants at the "first division." The greater number of the other settlers received only two or three lots at that time, and the remainder some months later. From this fact it is inferable that he was one of the first settlers in the new town. "According to the first division of the town of Salisbury," say the older records, there was granted unto John Hoyt a house lot containing one acre; a planting lot of four acres; twently acres for a great lot; a meadow lot of two acres; these parcels were by "estimation" and contained the specified amounts "more or less," and probably actual measurement would have made the actual amount two or three times what it was "estimated" to contain, as they were very liberal with their land in those days.
His name is on the list of townsmen and commoners of Salisbury in 1650. His share of Mr. Worcester's rate, Dec. 25, 1650, was six shillings six pence; his county rate in 1659 was nine shillings. After sharing the lot of the pioneers of Salisbury for some time he sold his dwelling house to William Heldred in Sept., 1647, and moved west across the Powow river and joined the early settlers in what is now Amesbury. His name appears on the original articles of agreement between Salisbury and Salisbury New-town in 1654. In the division of land he received several lots in the "Great Swamp," "On the River," at "Lion's Mouth," and in other parts of the town. One of these contained two hundred acres, and was styled his "Great division." "Goodman Hoyet" was one of those who were chosen to lay out land in "Lion's Mouth," &c., Feb., 1661.
John Hoyt is often mentioned on the old Amesbury records as prudentialman, selectman, constable, juryman, moderator, &c. It was customary in town affairs to enter their "contrary desent" upon the town books; his name appears in this way with sufficient frequency to show that his opinion did not always coincide with that of the majority. In several instances he entered his "contrary disent" alone, one of them being on the question of his serving as selectman in 1682. The record of the assignment of a seat in church to him July 9, 1667, is still extant.
John Hoyt was a sergeant of the Salisbury Military Company and is frequently referred to as "Sargeant Hoyt." The town records of Amesbury state that "Saegent Jno Hoyt, state senator, died on ye 28th day Feb. An. Dom. 1687-88." He probably deeded most of his property to his children during his lifetime.
It seems probable that he married his first wife about 1635. She died Feb. 23, 1643, and he married (second) in 1643 or 44. His second wife survived him and was living in 1697.
Frances, John, Thomas, Georgie, Elizabeth, Joseph (died young), Joseph, Marah, Naomi, Dorothie and Mehitabel.
(II) Thomas, third child and second son of John and Frances Hoyt, was born Jan., 1641. He worked for Walter Taylor, who was so noisy and turbulent a character as to be frequently obliged to appear in court to answer to the offended law for his improper conduct. The following is from the records of the Salisbury court, April 12, 1664: "Tho. Hoyt & Tho. Jonson ar jugd by this Court to have a legall admonincoa & pay five shillings a peece for going away disorderly fro their Master Walter; to be payd to ye treasurer." "And Walter Tayler for using cursing speaches to his servants; is judg to have to pay 10s.; to ye treasurer of ye County." "And Jno. Hoyt Senior to be admonisht for enterteining his son being servant to Walter Taylor."
The name of Thomas Hoyt stands first on the list of those who took the oath of allegiance and fidelty before Thomas Bradbury, captain of the military company of Salisbury, Dec. 5, 1677.
Shortly after 1680 he removed to Amesbury. His residence is given as Amesbury in 1686, when his father, John Hoyt, deeded to his son Thomas land at "Bugsmore" in Amesbury, lot 15, near the Powow river. Thomas Hoyt died Jan. 3, 1691, and administration of his estate was granted to his son Thomas, March 31, 1691.
He had two wives, each named Mary; there is no record of the first marriage. A Thomas Hoyt married Mary Ash in Amesbury, Nov. 29, 1689, according to th town books, or 1690 by the county records. The Thomas Hoyt referred to seems to be the Thomas of this sketch.
Thomas, William (died young), Ephraim, John, William, Israel, Benjamin, Joseph, a daughter, Deliverance and Mary.
(III) John (2), fourth son of Thomas and Mary Hoyt, was born April 5, 1674. There was a John Hoyt living in Kittery from 1697 to 1703, who probably removed to Dover, Bloody Point, in 1703. He may be the person whose birth is recorded here.
(III) William, fifth son of Thomas and Mary Hoyt, was born April 8, 1676. William was living in Amesbury as late as 1699, when he had a seat assigned to him in the church at that place. There was a William Hoyt, of Kittery, who bought land of John Dam, of Dover, March, 1703. There was also a William Hoyt who died in Newington, N. H. as early as 1626. From the disappearance of the brothers, John and William Hoyt, from Amesbury, and the appearance of two persons bearing the same name about the same time in Kittery and later at Newington, it seems very probable that the Newington and Berwick Hoyts or Hights are descended from the Amesbury branch, and that these two brothers are the progenitors of the Hoyts of the last-named places. From deed on record at Exeter it seems that, William Hoyt, of Newington, died previous to 1727, leaving at least four children; but the number of children left by either John or William Hoyt is unknown, a fact arising from the incomplete condition of the records.
The four children of William Hoyt of Newington:
Sarah, Abigail, John and Elizabeth.
(IV) William (2) Hight, was born about 1707, and died Nov. 30, 1782. He went from Newington, N. H. to Berwick, Maine, and was probably either a brother or cousin of John above mentioned. In July, 1737, William "Hoight," or "Hight," "late of Newington, now of Berwick," bought land in Berwick of William Spencer. In an entry at Kittery, dated Feb., 1748, is a record of land in "Barwick" (which he had bought) laid out to William "Height." He was a "merchant" or "shopkeeper" in what is now South Berwick. His name is usually spelled Hight, but sometimes Hoit< on the records at Alfred. In the "valuation of towns," 1771, he was put down for five dwelling houses, and was the second man in Berwick in point of income. In his will, 1782, he mentioned his "3 negroes Diner, Violet, and Peter."
He married (first) Elizabeth, whose surname is unknown. She died April 18, 1776, aged sixty-three. He married (second) Mary Kenerson, their intentions of marriage being published Nov. 19, 1777. She seems to have survived him and married Joseph Pray.
Children, all by 1st wife:
George, Mary, Fanny, Temple, Sarah, Elizabeth and Jane.
(V) George, eldest child of William (2) and Elizabeth Hight, lived in Berwick, where he was constable in 1766. He died before March 15, 1769. He married Sept. 6, 1764, Eunice Hill, who survived him.
George, Elisha and Elizabeth.
(VI) George (2), eldest child of George (1) and Eunice (Hill) Hight, was born in Berwick, Maine, May 6, 1765, and died in Scarborough. He was a blacksmith, residing in Berwick until 1780, and thereafter in Scarborough.
He married Elizabeth, daughter of Colonel Humphrey Pike, of Saco. She died Nov. 14, 1840, aged sixty-eight.
Betsey, George Humphrey, Amos Chase, Mary, Benjamin Pike, William T. (died young), Eunice Hill, William Temple and Frances Caroline.
(VII) Amos Chase, son of George and Elizabeth (Pike) Hight, was born Oct. 15, 1797, died April 30, 1863. He lived in Scarborough. He married Dec. 2, 1830, Eliza Milliken, by whom he had:
George F., Frances C., Horatio, George, LeRoy and Elizabeth C.
(VIII) Captain Horatio, third child and second son of Amos C. and Eliza (Milliken) Hight, was born Sept. 15, 1834, and died 1900. He served in the state legislature and for more than twenty years was in the customs service at Portland. He was first lieutenant of Company C, Twelfth Maine Volunteer Infantry. He served in the Department of the Gulf, and was brevetted captain in 1862 for gallant service at the battle of Pouchataula.
He married, Nov. 25, 1863, Clara E. Milliken, of Saco, daughter of Joseph L. and Anne (Boothby) Milliken, of Saco.
Leroy L., mentioned below, Clarence A., Francis W., and Louis F., who died at the age of seventeen.
Clarence A., was born in Scarborough, Jan. 26, 1868. His preliminary education was obtained in the Portland public schools and he graduated from the high school in 1885. In the fall of the same year he entered Harvard University, from which he graduated in 1889. He was admitted to the Cumberland bar and in June of the same year received the degree of LL.B. from the Harvard Law School. He became associated in the practice of law with Hon. A. A. Strout, and was admitted to partnership in 1897, the firm taking the name of Strout & Hight. After the death of the senior member of the firm mr. Hight became a partner with William H. Coolidge, and the firm became Coolidge & Hight. They have offices at 50 Congress street, Boston, and 36 Exchange street, Portland.
Mr. Hight was at one time solicitor for the Central Vermont Railroad, and after the death of Mr. Strout he became solicitor for the Grand Trunk, a place he still holds. He is a member of the Harvard and of the Cumberland clubs.
He married Emily L., daughter of John B. Coyle, of Portland.
(IX) Leroy L., eldest child of Horatio and Clara E. (Milliken) Hight, was born in Saco, Nov. 27, 1864, and educated in the public schools of Saco and Portland, making his preparatory studies at Portland high school. In 1882 he entered Harvard College, from which he graduated with the class of 1886. He then read law in the office of Hon. William L. Putnam, of Portland, and was admitted to practice in 1892. Immediately after that he opened an office and has since devoted his attention principally to railroad and corporation law. For a series of years he was master and instructor of the classical department of the Portland high school, and filled that position until he resigned, 1899. Beginning with 1900 he has been a member of the school committee, declining further nomination in 1908.
He has membership in the Harvard and Cumberland clubs. In politics he is a Republican. He married, Nov. 26, 1888, Clara Paguet Webster.
William, Leroy S. and Richard.