Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The surname Ferguson, or Fergusson, means simply son of Fergus, an ancient Scotch (Scottish! Scotch is a drink) personal name, and is one of the msot ancient of Scotland. As early as 1466 the name is found in Dumfriesshire, Ayrshire, Wigtonshire, Perthshire, Forfairshire, Fifeshire, etc. Fergus was the first king of Scotland, hence its popularity among the Scotch (Scottish or Scots!). The plaid of this clan is green and black, with red and white lines through it; the badge a sunflower or foxglove. There are various coats-of-arms.
John Ferguson, of Killerran, was made a baronet in 1703. Another John Ferguson was a member of the Scottish parliament from Cragdarroch in 1649, and Robert Ferguson from the same district, also in 1649, and often afterward. Another Robert Ferguson was in parliament from Inverkeithing in 1579 and 1587. The name is sometimes spelled Farson.
(I) Daniel Ferguson, immigrant, came to America during the protectorate in England, at a time that many thousand Scotch (Scottish) soldiers taken by Cromwell were sent to New England. He was living in what is now Upper Eliot, Maine, in 1659, and died in 1676. His widow Mary was living in 1708. He was doubtless a relative by blood or marriage of William Furbish, with whom he bought one hundred and fifty acres of land in Kittery, Maine, now Upper Eliot, Feb. 28, 1667, of James and Elizabeth Emery for fifty pounds. The inventory of the estate of Daniel Ferguson was dated June 17, 1676, amounting to one hundred and three pounds six shillings. The widow conveyed to her son Alexander and her grandson James, son of her son James, by deed dated March 9, 1708, under certain conditions, all the land lying at Little Hill. She gave the homestead to her grandson James, mentioned below. (See York Deeds, folio 102, vol __.) It was situated south of land of Daniel Furbish, east of the river, north of Andrew Neal's land and west of the Berwick road.
1. Mehitable, born 1670.
2. Alexander, born 1672, married Feb. 11, 1 694, Elizabeth Gowan.
3. Sarah, born 1676, married Dec. 19, 1695, James Ross, of Casco Bay.
4. James, born 1676, mentioned below.
5. Abigial, captured by the Indians; ransomed with sister Sarah from Quebec by Matthew Cary in October, 1695.
(II) James, second son of Daniel Ferguson, was born in Kittery, Maine, 1676, died in 1707. He married Elizabeth Hodsdon, daughter of Benoni Hodsdon. Both he and his wife were slain by the Indians Sept. 28, 1707.
The inventory of the estate was filed Oct. 14, 1707, amounting to two hundred and forty-three pounds and thirteen shillings. In 1714 the estate was charged thirty pounds for bringing up the orphan until he was seven years old.
James (2) had a grant of fifty acres of land May 10, 1703, laid out Nov. 21, 1706, at Great Lot; also seventy acres laid out May 4, 1728, to his estate at Blackberry Hill, now South Berwick, Maine. Only child, James, mentioned below.
(III) James (2), son of James (1) Ferguson, was born in Kittery in 1707, married, 1729, Patience Downing, daughter of Joshua Downing Jr. James had his father's homestead in North Eliot, west of the Berwick road to the river adjoining the farm of Timothy Furbish. He served in the military in 1754-59-62, and was in the service in the French and Indian wars in those years. He died in 1766, his widow and son Daniel being appointed to administer his estate July 7, 1766. The inventory, dated June 24, 1766, amounted to one hundred and seventeen pounds, eight shilling, four pence. His widow died in 1789 and her estate was administered by her son William, appointed March 30, 1789. The estate of James was divided in 1780.
1. James 3d, married April 24, 1749, Elizabeth Standley.
2. Daniel, married, in Kittery, 1776, Abigail Frost.
4. Elizabeth, died Feb. 2, 1759; married Oct. 7, 1756, John Hall.
5. Dennis, married, at Kittery, Feb. 3, 1773, Elizabeth Weymouth.
6. Stephen, married, in Kittery, March 28, 1782, Shuah Bartlett.
7. William, married, in Kittery, Nov. 27, 1781, Miriam Raitt; she married (second) Dec. 23, 1788, Benjamin Gerrish.
8. Sarah, born March 16, 1739, married Sept. 28, 1775, Joseph Forbush.
9. Reuben, mentioned below. (See p 120, vol. iii, Old Eliot).
(IV) Reuben, son of James (2) Freguson, was born in Eliot, Maine, about 1755; he married FEb. 19, 1779, Mary Raitt. His homestead in 1798 in North Eliot was adjoining the farms of his brothers Dennis, Timothy and Stephen, and the widow Sally Ferguson. Timothy owned a barn and cider-mill on land of the widow Sarah (doubtless the widow of one of his brothers). Reuben's farm of thirty acres was bounded west by the highway and land of Stephen Ferguson, north by land of Daniel Gould, east by land of Nathaniel Frost, and south by that of Stephen Ferguson. (See p. 184, vol. vi, Old Eliot). His will, dated Oct. 22, 1804, proved Jan. following, made widow Molly and son Alexander executors. Inventory, $1,351.51.
Reuben Jr., (mentioned below), Alexander, Oliver, Ivory, Nahum, Isaiah, Polly, Marian, Sally, Abigail.
(V) Reuben (2), son of Reuben (1) Ferguson, was born in Eliot, Maine, in 1789, died in 1873. He married Betsey Stiles, who was born in Mass., 1784, died also in 1873. They removed to Dixmont, Maine. He was a tailor and farmer.
Mark, Willard B. (mentioned below), Eliza A.
(VI) Willard B., son of Reuben (2) Ferguson, was born in Dixmonth, Maine, Dec., 1822. He married Rebecca Goodwin, born at Monroe, Maine, in 1831, died June 18, 1880. He was educated in the public schools of Dixmonth and fitted himself for the position of teacher. He followed this profession for a period of twenty years, also conducting a farm, after the custom of the times, the brief school term being in the winter that it might not interrupt the labor of the youth on the farm and also that the teacher might pursue his college course or other business between terms. He raised stock extensively. He became prominent in public affairs. He was the local magistrate by virtue of his commission as justice of the peace.
In politics he was a Republican, ad for many years was on the Dixmonth board of selectmen. He represented his district in the legislature in the years 1867-68, and served on important committees. He was also county commissionr for many years in Penobscot county, Maine, and few men were better known or more highly respected than he. He was possessed of unusual ability; his education and force of character combined to make him an exceptionally valuable citizen and successful man of affairs.
He was a member of the Free Masons and of Patrons of Husbandry. He attended the Universalist church.
1. Cassius M., born 1850, a lawyer in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
2. Ada H., born 1852, married Rufus G. Brown, of Boston.
3. M. Hubbard, born May 31, 1855, mentioned below.
4. Lucia A., born 1864, a teacher in the Boston public schools, residing at Boston.
(VII) Dr. M. Hubbard, son of Willard B. Ferguson, was born in Dixmont, Maine, May 31, 1855. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and at the Maine Central Institute at Pittsfield. Early in life he chose medicine for his profession and began to study in the office of Dr. A. C. Hamilton, of Bangor, Maine. He studied at Bowdoin Medical College, and Dartmouth Medical School, from which he graduated in 1879. In 1886 he took lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, also took a six months' course in the New York Polyclinic Medical School the same year, and in 1900-02-06 was a student at the Post-Graduate College of New York.
Dr. Ferguson began his practice in Phippsburg, Maine, in 1880, and continued seventeen years. He opened an office in Biddeford, Maine, in Nov., 1897, has been in active practice in that city and vicinity to the present time, and has taken high rank in his profession. He is senior surgeon at the Webber Hospital at Biddeford, and member of the following medical societies: A. M. A., Maine M. A., York County M. A.
Dr. Ferguson has been prominent not only as a physician and surgeon but in public life. While in Phippsburg he held the office of supervisor of schools for eleven years, was selectman for several years, representative to the legislature in 1887-88-92-93, state senator in 1895-96-97-98, and alternate to the Republican National convention at Minneaspolis, Minnesota, in 1892, when President Harrison was nominated.
He is prominent in the Masonic fraternty; member of Polar Star Lodge, Montgomery; St. Bernard Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, Bath; Bradford Commandery, Knights Templar, Biddeford. He is also a member of Laconia Lodge of Odd Fellows and of the Encampment.