Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The Eliots, Elliots and Elliotts of New England and their descendants in every section of the United States and Canada have reason to claim to have come from one of the notable immigrant progenitors whose descendants have become unusually illustrious: John Eliot, of Roxbury; Ebenezer Eliot, of Newton; Edmund Eliot, of Salisbury; or Andrew Eliot, of Beverly.
They were all Puritans. From Andrew of Beverly we have Andrew Elito (1718-78), pastor of the New North Church of Boston, 1743-78, and who declined the presidency of Harvard College, of which he was a graudate in 1737, when elected to that office in 1773; Charles William Eliot, president of Harvard, 1869-1909; Samuel Eliot (1739-1820), founder of the Eliot chair of Greek Literature at Harvard, through a gift of $20,000 made anonymously; president of the Massachusetts Bank, and prominent Boston merchant; Samuel Eliot (1821-98), the eminent author, educator and benefactor; Samuel Arkins Eliot (1798-1862), mayor of Boston, representative and senator in the U.S. congress, treasurer of Harvard College and public benefactor.
Then we have an almost as illustrious line of eminent descendants for John Eliot (1604-90), the pioneer missionary to the Indians, who came to Boston in 1631, with Winthrop, and from Ebenezer of Newton and Edmund of Salisbury.
(I) Edmund, or Edward Eliot, as the name is sometimes written, was born in England about 1629, and came to America with the early patrons of the company of the Mass. Bay, of which John Humphrey and John Endicott, the two most prominent of the six patentees of the territory extending from the Atlantic to the western ocean, and in width from a line running three miles north of the Merrimac to one running three miles south of the Charles river. The company was ruled by a governor and thirteen councilors for fifty-five years. The year of Edmund Eliot's departure from England or arrival in the Mass. Bay Colony has never been fixzed, and the first record we have of him is in 1652, when he was taxed in the town of Salisbury, and was a husbandman in the western portion of the town known as Salisbury, New-town, which was granted the privileges of a town May 23, 1666.
He received by grant of land in the original town of Salisbury in 1654, 1659 and 1662, and when Salisbury New-town became corporate May 23, 1666, his property was within the bounds of this town and additional grants were made to him in 1666 and 1668. On May 28, 1668, it was decided by the general court that "Salisbury, newtown * * * * may be called Emesbury," and was in the act of incorporation dated May 27, 1668, spelled Amesbury. He was made a freeman of the new town of Amesbury by taking the oath of allegiance in 1677, and the last record of his life was in 1680, when he is named among the residents. His will bears the date Feb. 26, 1675, and was probated March 17, 1684, which date gives the approximate time of his death according to the lapse of time ordinarily observed between the death of the testator and the proof of his will Dec., 1683, or Jan., 1684.
The will also gives evidence of his service in the Indian wars, as he recites the reason for making it "when he was going to the war." He names his wife Sarah and son John as his legatees, and in case of the death of both that his property was to go to his nearest relatives in England. The inventory of his estate amount to 480 pounds and upwards, which amount made him a relatively rich man.
He married, in 1659, Sarah, daughter of Jared and Margaret Haddon, of Salisbury New-town, born Jan. 15, 1640. She became the mother of one child, John Eliot (q.v.), by her first husband, and after his death, in 1684, she married (second) a Younglove, and her father made his will in 1687 and names her in the instrument, the nearest date we have by which to judge the time of her death.
(II) John, son and only child of Edmund and Sarah (Haddon) Eliot, was born in Salisburg, New-town, Mass. Bay Colony, Sept. 25, 1660. He followed the occupation of his father, and is so described as a "yeoman" at the time he took the oath of allegienace to the government in 1677, on arriving at military age, and before reaching his majority he was made a member of the trainband in 1680.
His will was dated on Feb. 22, 1733, and probated the following March, which would indicate that it was made on his sickbed and probably deathbed. One record of his death names Feb. 27, 1633, which no doubt is not exactly correct.
He married, 1685, Naomi, daughter of Henry Tuxbury, born in Newbury, Jan. 18, 1667, and survied her husband, as she is mentioned in his will.
Children, b. at Amesbury, Mass.:
1. Edmund, b. July 30, 1686 (q.v.)
2. Sarah, b. Oct. 10, 1688, m. Sylvanus Carr Dec. 7, 1738.
3. Elizabeth, b. Nov. 11, 1691, m. Jacob Colby, Dec. 20, 1724.
4. John, b. Dec. 25, 1693, m. Sarah Colby, Dec. 20, 1721, and had children: Mary, b. Sept. 23, 1722, and John, b. Sept. 19, 1724.
5. Thomas, b. Nov. 26, 1696; m. Judith Worthen, Dec. 21, 1721, and had children: Thomas, b. Feb. 14, 1724; and Ephraim, b. Feb. 24, 1735 (?).
6. Mary, b. Aug. 4, 1699, m. Ezekiel Colby Dec. 24, 1724.
7. Hannah, b. Oct. 7, 1702, m. Robert Corn, March 16, 1732.
8. David, b. June 12, 1705, m. Mary Carter Jan. 2, 1728, and late in life removed to Newton, N. H.
9. Naomi, b. May 13, 1709, m. John Calfe, Oct. 21, 1739.
(III) Edmund, eldest child of John and Naomi (Tuxbury) Eliot, was born in Amesbury, Mass., on the Eliot farm, July 30, 1686. He probably remained on the homestead by right of being the eldest son, and worked the place with his father, bringing his wife there after marriage, Jan. 8, 1713, to Deborah, dau. of John and Elizabeth (Blaisdell) Huntington, of Amesbury, and granddaughter of William Huntington, the pioneer immigrant who was one of the proprietors of Salisbury. She was b. Sept. 22, 1687, in Amesbury, and bore her husband six children. He died apparently about the time of his father's death, as Thomas Hoyt was appointed administrator of his estate, April 16, 1733.
Children, b. in Amesbury;
1. Betty or Elizabeth, b. Dec. 25, 1714.
2. Edmund (q.v.), Nov. 28, 1716, married Mehitable Worthen.
3. Sarah, b. Sept. 29, 1719.
4. John, b. July 23, 1722.
5. Jonathan, b. July 31, 1726.
(IV) Edmund (2), eldest son and third child of Edmund (1) and Deborah (Huntington) Eliot, was born in Amesbury, Mass., Nov. 28, 1716. He removed to Chester, N. H., where he was a pioneer settler of the town, purchasing a town lot in 1747. The lot he first purchased was No. 31, and he subsequently added to his estate by purchasing lot No. 134.
He married Mehitable Worthen, who died his widow, April 11, 1806. He died in Chester, N. H., Oct. 8, 1780.
Children, b. in Epping, N. H.:
1. Jonathan, never married, was living in Epping, N. H. in 1828.
4. Jacob, or Daniel, never married, and lived with Jonathan in Epping, N.H.
6. John (q.v.).
10. Nathaniel, who was a pioneer resident of Thornton, N. H.
(V) John (2), third son and sixth child of Edmund (2) and Mehitable (Worthen) Eliot, was born in Epping, N. H., Nov. 11, 1764. He was brought up in Epping, N. H., and was married in Sept., 1789, to Dolly, born Feb. 22, 1770, daughter of Gould French, of Epson, N. H. He was born Aug. 26, 1741, and died in St. Albans, Maine, May 12, 1823.
After their marriage they removed to Northwood, New Hampshire, where their children were all born, and they subsequently removed to "Dent Bennett," Cornville, N. H., and thence to Corinna, Penobscot county, Maine.
John Eliot died at Lincoln, Maine, Aug., 1843, and his widow in June, 1846.
The children of John & Dolly (French) Eliot were born in Northwood, N. H.
1. Polly (Mary), Feb. 25, 1789; married John Bennett, in 1810, and died Feb. 2, 1837, probably at Epsom, N. H.
2. Daniel, b. 1794, married Edith Hayden, and died in 1846.
3. John, married Lucy Stewart, and died at sea.
4. Alphonso, married Mary Davis.
5. Rufus, married Liddy or Lydia Hayden.
6. Gould French, b. Sept. 14, 1802, married May Gardner Huntley, b. June 19, 1804.
7. Thomas, died when two years of age.
8. Jacob Smith (q.v.).
(VI) Jacob Smith, seventh son and eighth child of John (2) and Dolly (French) Eliot, was born in Northwood, New Hampshire, Aug. 10, 1808. He removed with the family to Cornville, N. H. in 1810, and thence to Corinna, Penobscot, Maine, in 1812, which was then known as Warrentown, from Dr. John Warren, of Boston, the original proprietor. The place was incorporated as the town of Corinna, Dec. 11, 1816. He was brought up in Corinna, and married there, Aug. 12, 1832, Sarah Walker, daughter of William and Sally (Moore) Moore, who was born July 31, 1813. She had four brothers Samuel, Benjamin, Robert M. and William Moore; and three sisters: Maria, m. John Stenchfield, of Hartland, Maine; Roxana, married ____, lived at Exeter, Maine; Clarinda, m. Nathan J. Robinson, lived at Foxcroft, then at Corinna, and removed to New Haven, Minnesota in 1863. Clarinda Moore Robinson died at Santa Monica, California, July, 1900.
After the birth of their seven children they removed, in 1855, to the Falls of St. Anthony, in Minnesota terriroty, in the new settlement of Minneapolis, which was incorporated as a city in 1867, the territory having been incorporated as a state May 11, 1858. Here the family grew up with their new state and city. The children were educated in the public schools.
Children, b. in Corinna, Maine:
1. Wyman, born May 19, 1834; married Nov. 25, 1868, Mary E. Chase; children: i. Sarah Chase, b. Oct. 26, 1870, m. Frank C. Metcalf April 10, 1889 (children: Frank Elliot, b. July 1, 1890, Allen Leonaard, b. March 26, 1897, Mary Elizabeth, b. July 28, 1900, d. July 16, 1901, and Virginia, b. July 13, 1904). ii. Jennella, b. July 30, 1872; married Edward Percival Loye, June 26, 1895 (children: Percival Elliot, b. April 18, 1899, and Jenella, b. Jan. 26, 1903; Wyman Smith, b. Oct. 30, 1882, m. Helen L. Dodson Nov. 4, 1907). iii. Stuart Dudley, b. Sept. 3, 1886.
2. Adolphus Fitz Clarence, born Feb. 9, 1836, married Sarah J. Sheldon, Dec. 24, 1871, and he died April 20, 1901. By this marriage they had one child:
Leon Adloph, born Nov. 24, 1874, died Feb. 22, 1879.
Adolphus F. C. married Mary Hoar, his second wife, she died Jan. 29, 1905.
3. Ellen Artemesia, born Nov. 18, 1838; married John M. Shaw Sept. 27, 1864. She died April 7, 1901, and their three children were:
Mabel, born April 17, 1868, m. Cavour S. Langdon.
Bertha, born Nov. 3, 1871, m. Frank D. Blakeley.
John Eliot, born April 30, 1875, m. Ethel Bogan, and d. Dec. 3, 1908.
4. Jacob Rinald, born Feb. 13, 1841; married Annie Montgomery Oct. 15, 1868, and had children: Anne Montgomery, b. June 19, 1870, d. June 14, 1882; Byron, b. May 9, 1874; Millie, b. April 27, 1877, died Oct. 13, 1879; Jay Rinaldo, b. Aug. 25, 1886; Florence, b. May 23, 1889.
5. Clarenda Collista, born July 19, 1844, died Sept. 14, 1846.
6. Sarah Carolyn, born June 23, 1849; married George W. Shuman, July 22, 1868, and had three children: Harry Wert Shuman, b. Jan. 18, 1872, m. Beatrice Wallow, Jan. 12, 1904, and (had two children: Frances Evelyn, b. Jan. 3, 1905, and Harry Robert, b. Feb. 18, 1906.) Jesse Wyman, second son of George W. and Sarah C. (Elliot) Shuman, b. March 25, 1874, m. Martha Rogers, June 23, 1903, and their third, an adopted child, Nellie Carolyn Shuman, was b. Jan. 16, 1882, m. Arthur H. H. Anderson June 12, 1902.
Sarah C. (Elliot) Shuman, died Dec. 2, 1902.
7. Frank Micajah (q.v.).
The spelling of the name was changed about 1865 to Elliot. Sarah Walker Elliot, the mother of these chidren, died in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Nov. 5, 1875. Dr. Elliot married (second) Esther A. Foote, March 5, 1877, from whom he was divorced in August, 1879. He married (third) Lizzie N. Van Druver, Nov. 10, 1885, and by these marriages had no children. He died April 1, 1892, at Santa Monica, California.
For many years, both in Maine and Minnesota, Dr. Eliot was a successful practicing physician of the Old Thomsonian school of practice. In 1876 he moved to California and made his home at Santa Monica. An intimate friend gives this estimate of his character:
"Dr. Elliot was in many ways a remarkable man, possessed in an eminent degree of those sterling qualities of mind and character which fitted him for a pioneer, and even among a class of men who were generally distinguished for that steadiness and tenacity of purpose which insures success, he was peculiarly a marked and prominent character in respect to those qualities. While he made it a governing principle of his actions to stand with unflinching firmness for what he conceived to be his individual rights, he was ever just and lenient in his dealings with his fellows, and it was always known that his word was 'as good as his bond.' In all business matters up to the day of his death, his mind was singularly clear and lucid, and his instinct remarkable direct and unerring. He as a strong man who never failed to impress himself and his personality upon those with whom he came in contact. These qualities brought great success in business, and he died possessed of a considerable estate, both in Minnesota and California. Several years ago Dr. Elliot donated to the city of Minneapolis a valuable tract of land for a park, known as Elliot Park, one of the most beautiful and delightful resorts in the now famous park systerm of that city."
(VII) Frank Micajah, youngest child and fourth son of Jacob Smith and Sarah (Moore) Elliot, was born in Corinna, Penobscot county, Maine, March 27, 1853. He was educated in the public schools of Minneapolis, Minnesora, the home of his parents after 1855, and was prepared for college in the preparatory school of the Northwestern University, at Evanston, Illinois. He matriculated in 1874 in the University in the College of Liberal Arts, and was graduated A.B., 1877. He then pursued a course in law, but did not take up the profession, selecting instead the real estate and loan business. He fitted himself for that business in the abstract department of the recorder's office of Cook county, Illinois, where he served as clerk up to 1879, when he resigned and formed a partnership with George Watson Smith, as Smith & Elliot. The firm conducted a real estate and loan business in Chicago up to 1881, when Mr. Smith retired and Mr. Elliot continued the business alone, and in 1909 he had been carrying on the business for twenty-seven years at 123 La Salle street, Chicago.
He was a trustee of the village of Evanston in 1885, and when the State Bank, Evanston, was organized in 1890, he became a member of the board of directors. He was elected president of the Evanston Hospital Association in 1896, and was still in office in 1909, having served thirteen years as its president.
He was also a member thirty years of the First Congregational Church of Evanston, which suburban town he made his residence for the time of his marriage in 1878. His college fraternity affiliation was the Sigma Chi, and in 1887 he was made grand consul of the fraternity. He is the author of: "History of Omega," a reminiscense of Northwestern University; "Life of Governor William H. Bissell, of Illinois," and of numerous contributions to periodical literature. His club affiliations include: The University Club, of Evanston, the Evanston Country Club, the Evanston Club, the Glen View Golf Club, and the University Club, of Chicago.
Mr. Elliot was married Nov. 13, 1878, to Anna, daughter of Andrew and Lucy (Dunlap) Shuman, of Evanston, Illinois. They have no children.