Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The name Dudley has been conspicuous in both old and New England for centuries. The house of Dudley is one of the noblest in the mother country. For more than five hundred years, the Dudleys of England have lived in castles and filled high places in the government of the country.
Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick, a son of the Duke of Northumberland, was born about 1530. He held several high offices.
Edmund Dudley was speaker of the Commons in 1594.
Lord Guilford Dudley married Lady Jane Grey in 1553, and was beheaded with his wife in 1554.
John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, born in 1502, son of Edmund Dudley, noticed above, was lord high admiral in the time of Henry VIII.
Many other English Dudleys attained distinction.
The American Dudleys are descended from the English line, but the relationship has not been traced. The American families have produced many distinguished soldiers and patriots.
(I) Governor Thomas Dudley was born in Northamptonshire, England, in 1576, son of Capt. Roger Dudley, a warrior. Capt. Roger Dudley flourished in the time of Robert Dudley, Queen Elizabeth's famous Earl of Leicester, and appears to have been one of the soldiers sent over by the Queen to aid Henry of Navarre to establish his throne, and to have fallen in the famous battle of Ivry, which Macauley describes in his picturesque poem. The Dudleys of the Dudley castle were ever inclinded to military life. Captain Roger seems to have belonged to that branch of the family. Roger's wife was probably of a religious family and became a noted Puritan. She was kinswoman of Augustine Nicolls, of Faxton in Northmaptonshire, a judge of the common pleas and Knight of the Bath, who finally became keeper of the great seal to Prince Charles.
Thomas Dudley came to Massachusetts with John Winthrop, Sir Richard Saltonstall and other prominent men, in the "Arabella," and landed at Salem, June 12, 1630. The "Arabella" was a ship of three hudnred and fifty tons burden, and sailed from Yarmouth near the Isle of Wight, April 8, 1630, with fifty-two seamen and twenty-eight guns. Peter Milbourn was master. Thomas Dudley, then about fifty-four years old, had been closen deputy governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony in England. Mr. Winthrop was the governor and was to supersede Gov. Endicott. Some of the principal families of colonists went to Charlestown and formed a church there of which Mr. Dudley was the second member. Some of the leading members of the colony having agreed to make Cambridge the chief town of the colony. Thomas Dudley, Simon Bradstreet, Daniel Dennison and most of the leaders, built their dwellings there. They called the place Newtown, and the city of Newtown still retains the name. After expending much time and money in laying out, building and fotifying the town, Governor Winthrop concluded to settle in Boston, which greatly disappointed the other colonists. Mr. Dudley was especially offended, and April, 1632, resigned his office of deputy governor, but his resignation was not accepted and he was prevailed upon to retain his office. Mr. Dudley soon sold his Newton estate to Roger Harlakenden, and removed to Ipswich with his son, Rev. Samuel Dudley, General Dennison, Simon Bradstreet and others.
"At a General Court of Assistants, held at Boston June 5, 1635, two hundred acres of land was granted, on the West side of Charles River, over against the Newton, to enjoy to Thomas Dudley, Esq., Deputy Governor." At the court holden at Boston, April 1, 1634, there were five hundred acres of land granted to Thomas Dudley, Esq. Deputy Gov. Dudley and Gov. Winthrop owned adjoining lands in Concord, Mss., and the town historian, Mr. Shattuck, says there are two rocks standing between their lots, called "The Two Brothers" in remembrance of the fact that they were brothers by the intermarriage of their children. Their lots were divided by a little brook, still to be seen near Carlisle bridge. "At a General Court held at Newton the second day of the ninth month, 1637, the deputy, Mr. Dudley, hath a thousand acres of land granted to him where it may not prejudice any plantation granted, nor any plantation to be granted without limiting to time of improvement." This land was taken by Mr. Dudley in Concord. He also had various grants of small amounts in Ipswich, the largest being of one hundred acres.
Thomas Dudley was chosen governor in May, 1634, and re-elected three times afterward, 1640, 1645, 1650; and was deputy governor thirteen years. When not governor, he was generally deputy governor, but sometimes assistant. He held that office five years. He was the first governor chosen by deputies elected by the freemen and sent from all the towns in the colony to constitute the genearl court of elections. Before that time, 1634, the court of assistants chose the governor and deputy governor. Perhaps this plan was adopted by his advice. It was at this session that a military commission was established with almost unlimited authoriy and Mr. Dudley was made the head of it, having for his associates Winthrop, Humphrey, Haynes, Endicott, Coddington, Pynchon, Nowell, Bellingham and Bradstreet. John Cotton when the latter preached that the secular government ought to be subservient to the priesthood. He held that the civil authority should rule over the churches as well as over the military organizatons and everything else. One thing not to his credit, but probably the result of influences he could not contrive, a matter of creed, was his aid in the persecution of Anne Hutchinson, whose mind was one of the brightest and purest in New England; but he was not governor when Roger Williams was banished, nor when Mrs. Hutchinson was convicted of heresy, nor when the Quakers were hanged.
In 1636 Mr. Dudley was made one of the committee of twelve whose labors resulted in the organization of Harvard College, and it was while governor that year that he signed the charter creating that great school. At the general court held March, 1644, Thomas Dudley was chosen and admitted sergeant major general of the colony; this being the first time such an officer had been chosen. He had many friends among the religious and conservative classes, but the delinquents and vicious greatly feared him.
Mr. Dudley was a man of very ample means for that time and among those people, and dealt largely in real estate and loaned much money on mortgages. In 1642 he bought the right of the Indians to one thousand five hundred acres of land on the southeast side of the Concord river.
Governor Dudley wrote his will with his own hand and dated it April 13, 1653. He died at Roxbury July 31, 1653. There was a great funeral for that early era, the most distinguished citizens were his pall-bearers; the clery were present in great numbers and he was buried with military honors. He was buried in the east graveyard, not far from his house, where his tomb may yet be seem on the highest ground. Historians all agree that Gov. Dudley, the Pilgrim, was perfectly honest though blunt and severe. [trans note: the Puritans were not "Pilgrims"]. Mather says he was a man of sincere piety, exact justice, hospitality to strangers and liberality to the poor. He was not behind his times. He was older than most of the Pilgrims [argg, there they go again calling the Puritans 'Pilgrims'!] but not more benighted or old-fashioned. Considerable has been said about the old Pilgrim's [I give up!] accomplishments. He could read French and Latin and had several books in these languages. He had read some history and poetry, but he knew little of the best ancient or modern literature, and probably nothing of profane philosophy. Which of the Pilgrims did? He knew how to say what he wished to express, and was a very practical matter-of-fact man. Cotton Mather says he was a good poet, and some of his verses had been admired in King James' time.
Governor Dudley married (first) Dorothy, whose surname is unknown. She was a gentle-woman of good family and estate, from Northampton county, England. Dean Dudley, from whose history of the Dudley family the facts in this account of the Dudleys are principally gleande, says, "It is exceedingly provoking to most readers and nearly all the descendants" that many biographers, like Cotton Mather, though it sufficient to say of a wife, "She was a Smith," or "his wife was a good and industrious woman by the name of Betsy." Dorothy Dudley died of wind colic and was buried at Roxbury, Mass. Dec. 27, 1643, aged sixty-one years. Governor Dudley married (second) April 14, 1644, Catherine Hackburn, widow of Samuel Hackburn, of Roxbury, Mass., and daughter of a Dighton. She survived the governor and married (third) Nov. 8, 1653, Rev. John Allin, of Dedham, by whom she had three children.
Children of 1st wife:
Samuel, Anne, Patience, Sarah, Mercy.
Children of 2d wife:
Deborah, Joseph and Paul.
(II) Rev. Samuel, eldest child of Gov. Thomas and Dorothy Dudley, was born about 1610, in England, and died at Exeter, New Hampshire, Feb. 10, 1683. He passed the first twenty years of his life in England, in the society of people of intelligence and position. Though not bred at the university, his education had not been neglected, and as early as 1637 he was spoken of as qualified for the clerical office, and in 1649 is said to have preached at Portsmouth, though it is not known that he was settled in the university before he went to Exeter. For the preceding twelve years he had resided at Salisburn, Mass., where he had repeatedly served as a delegate to the genearl court, and for two years had held the office of assistant. It is evident that such a man was a great acquisition to the little community of Exeter. He received a salary of forty pounds a year and the use of a house, cowhouse and some land.
The language of Mr. Dudley's contract implies that the church which was formed in Mr. Wheelwright's time had, in the seven years when it was destitute of a regular pastor, lost its organization. Whether the desired opportunity for gathering a new church occurred during Mr. Dudley's ministry, the books of the town do not show. June 26, 1650, it was ordered by the town that Francis Swain have twenty shillings for his pains and time "in going into the Bay to receive Mr. Dudley his pay"! This undoubtedly refers to that clause of Mr. Dudley's contract that provided that his salary might be paid in "English commodities." Those were only to be procured from some trade in "the Bay," as Massachusetts was continuously called; and, no doubt, Mr. Swain had been employed by the town to make inquiry there for some person who was willing to exchange those commodities for lumber or such other products as the town could furnish; within six weeks from the time of his new settlement the new minister had induced the people to vote to find a new meeting house. This was June 26, 1650. Before Mr. Dudley had lived a year in the town he had so won the favor and confidence of the people that they volunteered to defend his reputation when it was assailed by the tongue of slander. In 1657 the people of Portsmouth made Mr. Dudley an offier of the pastorate of their town and he thought favorably of accepting it; but his townsmen made so strenuous a protest that he remained and spent the remaineder of his life with them, at the smaller salary. The people were not ungrateful, as the numerous grants of land and privileges from time to time made him by the town bear testimony. March 28, 1662, it was ordered that for every thousand of heading and barrel staves that were got out, there should be eighteen pence allowed to the town's use, "that is, to the ministry." April 25, 1664, it was voted that Captain John Clark's mill should pay five pounds annually to the public ministry. And on the same day, it was determined that a "lean-to" should be added to the meeting house, with a chimney which should serve as a watch-house. In July, 1671, the minister's salary was increased to sixty pounds and he was required "to gather up the rate himself."
There was no visible sign of failure of the powers, physical or mental, of Mr. Dudley as he drew on to old age. When he was sixty-nine, he was appointed one of a committee for the equal distribution of public lands, a duty which no feeble man would have been selected to perform. And during the four years of life which still remained to him, we do not learn that his natural force had abated, or that he failed to minister acceptably to the wants of his people.
He died at Exeter, Feb. 10, 1683, aged seventy-three. In his death the people of the town suffered a serious loss. He had become to them, in his thirty-third year of service, much more than a religious teacher. He was an important member of the civil community, an intelligent farmer, a considerable mill owner, a sound man of business and the legal adviser and scrivener of the entire people. The town intrusted him with its important affairs, and he in return was the staunch defener of its interests. It is true he always had a sharp eye to his own advantage, but he had a large family to provide for, and he was never accused of wrong or dishonesty. He was a gentleman of "good capacity and learning" in his profession, and a sincere and useful minister. Fortunate was it for Exeter that in its feeble state it was favored with the counsel of a man of such goodness, wisdom and practical sagacity. Mr. Dudley's remains rest in the neglected burying ground just south of the gas house on Water street, and no doubt beneath a stone slab from which the inscription has disappeared.
Mr. Dudley married (first) Mary, daughter of Governor John Winthrop, about 1632, and by her had five children. She died April 16, 1643, at Salisbury, Mass., and he married (second), in 1643, Mary Byley, of Salisbury, daughter of Henry, who was a son of Henry of the city of New Salem, in Wilts, gentleman. He had probably five children by her. He married (third) Elizabeth, whose family name is not known. By her he had eight children.
By 1st wife:
Thomas, John, Margaret, Samuel (died young) and Ann.
By 2d wife:
Theophilus, Mary (died young), Byley, Mary and Thomas.
By 3d wife:
Elizabeth, Stephen, James, Timothy, Abigail, Dorothy, Rebecca and Samuel.
Five or six of the above-named children died before reaching maturity.
(III) Stephen, eldest son of Rev. Samual and Elizabeth Dudley, was born at Exeter. In deeds and other papers he was sometimes styled "gent," and at other times "yeoman," "planter" and so on. He was, prehaps, narmed for his mother's father. January, 1711, Stephen Dudley, senior, gave to his son, James Dudley, one-twelfth part of the six hundred acres granted by the town to his "honored father, Mr. Samuel Dudley." Stephen is there called "planter," and James "cooper." Stephen could write, although at the time he made his will he seems to have been too sick or blind to do more than make his mark. But this was the lowest ebb of learning in New Hampshire. Many ladies of rank and fortune were not able to sign their names. Stephen's dispostion was very much like his father's. Like his father, he avoided public preferments, and chose quite private life. Like his father, he married early and often, and enjoyed having a swam of children around him; and, like his father, he looked coldly upon sectarian affairs, being indifferent about riches or honors to his name.
Stephen Dudley married (first) Sarah Gilman, daughter of Hon. John, a judge, royal councellor and speaker of the colonial assembly. She was born Feb. 25, 1667, and died Jan. 24, 1713. He married (second) Mary Thyng, and (third) Mercy Gilman, who survived him.
Children, all by 1st wife:
Samuel, Stephen, James, John, Nicholas, Joanna, Trueworthy, Joseph, Abigail, Sarah and Elizabeth.
(IV) Lieutenant James, third son of Stephen and Sarah (Gilman) Dudley, was born June 11, 1690, died at Exeter, N. H., his native town, Sept. 4, 1746. He was one of the original purchasers of Gilmanton, N. H., as were also his brothers, Nicholas, Trueworthy and Joseph, but none of them seem to have lived there. He bought an eighth part of Freetown from Colonel Stephen, his brother, in March, 1718. Some of the same land has ever since been in possession of the Dudleys descended fron Lieut. James. The old deed from Colonel Stephen to Lieut. James is still (1908) in existence, though some parts of it are worn out or torn off. The estate bought by James was "three miles in width on both sides of the river by the bridle-path."
James learned the cooper's trade, as that was the best way to do in such a time and in so new a country where lumber was plenty and there was a great demand for caks, pipes, hogsheads, and so forth, to ship to the West Indies and other countries.
Aug. 16, 1710, less than a month after Col. Winthrop Hilton, Dudley Hilton and John Dudley, brother to Lieut. James, had been killed by the Indians, this brave young man, then about twenty years of age, enlisted under his uncle, Capt. Nicholas Gilman, with two brothers, Stephen and Samuel Dudley, and served in the scouting-parties, in pursuit of the savages. In the history of Exeter are enrolled their names, with the names of half their cousins and uncles in that pillage. The murder of his brother, John Dudley, and his cousins Hilton, was terribly avenged before his death. He was a good soldier and was commissioned lieutenant by the governor of the province, and sent with Col. Samuel Moore's New Hampshire regiment which was raised in 1744 with otheres, for the reduction of Louisburg, then called Cape Breton, which was accomplished in 1745. "Lieutenant James Dudley discharged his duty as a subaltern officer with ability, and to the entire satisfaction of his superior officers, as well s those under his comnand." He returned home with the rest after the expedition, but died soon after very suddenly. Having spent the evening at a neighbor's hosue, he left it to return home, apparently in his usual health and spirits, but when he reached his door, one of his daughters heard a groan, and, going there, found her father lying near-by, a lifeless corpse. He was fifty-six years of age.
Lieut. James had friends who lent him money whenever he required it and waited for pay until he was ready to pay it. Many such notes and bills were paid by his administrator, and many due him were also collected, as the lieutenant was a very bad collector. He seems to have sometimes bought lands to accommodate friends who wished to sell. Many of these pieces were distant and in out-of-the-way places which he could never use or sell. His grandson says of him: "He was of a merry turn of mind. He was agreeable to all. He discharged his duty with integrity, and gave universal satisfaction as a soldier and civilian."
He was the father of Judge John Dudley, the noted patriot of Raymond, N. H. He had possibly given large estates to several of his children before his death, as he had been married thirty-two years, and nearly all his chldren were of age and probably married.
James Dudley married Mercy, born about 1691, at Exeter, daughter of Deacon John Folsom, of Exeter, son of John Folsum, the Pilgrim, and his wife, Mary Gilman, daughter of Edward Gilamn, the Pilgrim.
James, Abigail, Samuel, John, Joseph, Joanna, Mercy and Sarah.
(V) Joseph, fourth son of Lieut. James and Mercy (Folsom) Dudley, was born at Exeter, N. H. in 1728, and died in Raymond, Mass. in 1792. At sixteen years of age he accompanied his father and two brothers in the expedition to the siege of Louisburg, and on his return he acquired a common education. In early manhood he became a singular enthusiast in matters of religion. At thirty he became a Friend, or Quaker. The Quakers wore plain clothes of natural colors - often being white from head to foot. They believed themselves endowed with the same miraculous power as the apostles of Jesus - Joseph even undertook on one occasion to raise to life the dead body of a woman named Clifford, one of their "Light Infantry Quaker Society," as it was called. He remaiend twenty-four hours shut up in a room, trying to perform the miracle. For a long time afterward he insisted that he would have succeeded had it not been for the unbelief or lack of faith in the people engaged with him. He occasionally searched his home, to see that none of his family had transgressed his orders by wearing clothes of artificial colors. If any such articles were found, he burned them. Later in life he abandoned these ideas. He was naturally of a high spirit, even wilful at times and intolerant in theological matters, always reproving members of all demoninations, including those of his own sect, if they did not live up to their professions. A relative of his wrote of him: "I once thought differently respecting his character from what I do now, and therefore must do justice to his memory, as I have seen and known him during the last twenty years of his life. He was a man of the purest morals, honest and punctual in all his dealings, hospitable and benevolent to strangers, his hand and his heart always open for the relief of the poor and unfortunate. He was always alive to the distress of any, and ever ready to assist with his advice and his property, often without waiting to be asked, and considering it his duty to do so, without fee or any reward. Thus he did much good in his day and generation and was honored and beloved. But he would never accept of public honor or office, although he did not refuse to act as arbitrator, umpire, surveyor of land or lumber, etc. He was active in business, and built a mill at Raymond, carried on farming and other useful trades. His justice and veracity were never impeached. He was an advocate for common schools and all such matters of common utility, but an enemy to priests of every sort and name, never failing to rebuke iniquity in high or low; a kind husband, a tender father, an obliging neighbor. He brough up well a large family on his small farm, being also an excellent cooper, and was so faithful and industrious that he let an estate valued at about one thousand pounds, to be divided among his children, four sons and five daughers."
He married Susanna Lord.
Joseph, Benjamin, Thomas, Daniel, Elizabeth, Joanna, Mary, Hannah and Susannah.
(VI) Daniel, fourth son of Lieut. Joseph and Susanna (Lord) Dudley, was born at Exeter. N. H. Feb. 15, 1750, died Oct. 28, 1825, at Raymond, N. H. He married (first) Susan Glidden, daughter of John, of Exeter, sister of the wife of Moses Dudley, of Raymond. He married (second) a Miss Brown. The first wife was an excellent woman and helped her husband to make a decent living during her life. After her decease, Daniel Dudley left his children in Maine, scattered among strangers, although "they were all good and promising."
He spent his last years in Raymond.
Children, all by 1st wife, all b. Mount Vernon, Maine:
Joseph, Ann, Susanna, Benjamin and Thomas.
(VII) Benjamin, second son of Daniel and Susan (Glidden) Dudley, was born in Mount Vernon, Maine, Nov. 6, 1853. He married in 1829, Cynthia Whittier, of Corinth, who died at Banfor Jan. 2, 1864.
Sylvia A., Adaline B., Emily V. and Frank.
(VIII) Frank, yougest child of Benjamin and Cynthia (Whittier) Dudley, was born in West Bangor, Feb. 10, 1844, died in Portland Dec. 19, 1898. He was educated in the Bangor schools and later entered Colby University, where he remained two years; but his tastes were for business, and especially lumbering, his father having been successfully engaged in that pursuit for many years. After leaving Waterville College, Mr. Dudley went to business college in Poughkeepsie, New York, and obtained a thorough business education. Then, in company with a cousin, went into lumbering operations at Moosehead Lake, and was quite fortunate in his venture. At the age of twenty-seven he established himself in the lumber trade, with headquarters at Montreal. He remained in Montreal about five years, and then moved to Burlington, Vermont, where he connected himself with Shepare & Morse Lumber Company. Here he resided about seven years, and then removed to Portland, Maine, and established himself in the same business under the name of Frank Dudley, and there he remained until the end of his life, a period of fifteen years. During all this time Mr. Dudley built up not only a large export lumber trade to Argentina and Brazil, but also transacted a very important domestic business. He was preeminently a business man devoted to his vocation, and consequently successful. For some years he was a director in the Cumberland National Bank.
He was a strong Republican, but he never held office of any kind. Neither did he belong to any of the secret orders. He attended the Free Street Baptist Church, in the affairs of which he took much interest. He was also a member of the Cumberland, Rowland and Portland Athletic clubs. He was a man of quiet tastes, but a well-known and much-liked citizen. About a year before his death he purchased the Hersey place, on Danforth street, one of the first residences in the city, which from that time he occupied. He spent a great deal of his time and money and care in remodeling his home and arranging the spacious graunds, and when it was all finished, the spring before his death, he had one of the handsomest residences in Maine. He was seized with typhoid fever several weeks before his death. The disease developed very serious phases, but he finally rallied and was thought to be convalescent when he relapsed and in a few days died.
Frank Dudley married, April 6, 11871, Margaret Cole, born in Bangor June 26, 1847, daughter of Arad and Margaret (Cole) Thompson, of Bangor.
Frank (died young); Frederic Cole, mentioned below; Arthur T., Charles Edward and Albert (twins), all of whom died young; Margaret L., Philip (died young), Dorothea, and Bessie, who died young.
(IX) Frederic Cole, second child of Frank and Margaret C. (Thompson) Dudley, was born in Montreal, Canada, Nov. 19, 1873. He acquired his education in the public schools, at Phillips Andover Academy, and Harvard College, graduating from the last-named institution with the class of 1896. After leaving college he took a place in his father's business which he filled until his father's death, when he assumed the management of the concern, which he has since successfully carried on. He is not given to clubs and similar organization, and the only two in which he has membership are the Country and Cumberland clubs.
Frederic Cole married, in 1899, Katherine Clare, born in Des Moines, Iowa, May 20, 1876, daughter of Daniel O. and Catherine G. (Easton) Eshbaugh, of Montclair, New Jersey.
Katherine, born Sept. 25, 1901; Margaret, born April 23, 1903; Fred C., born March 30, 1905.
(I) Benjamin Dudley came to Pembroke, Maine, during the year 1830 and settled. He was a farmer. He married Margaret Kelly, born in Lubec, died in 1871. He died in 1879.
(II) John, son of Benjamin and Margaret (Kelly) Dudley, was born July 29, 1845, at Pembroke, Maine. He was educated in the public schools, learned the trade of tinsmith, and followed that trade and farming. He is a Democrat in politics.
He married Aldana Marinda, born in Milltown, Calais, Maine, Feb. 27, 1845, died Pembroke, Maine, Nov. 11, 1908, daughter of Daniel L. Choate, a descendant of John Choate, who came from England to Ipswich, Mass. before 1648, the progenitor of Rufus Choate and other eminent men of the name, in fact of all in this country, as far as known.
1. Herbert John, born in Calais, June 11, 1871, mentioned below.
2. Florence Gertrude, born Calais, Oct. 31, 18874, married Richard M. Rivinac, of Knoxville, Tennessee, a railroad contractor.
(III) Herbert John, son of John and Aldana M. (Choate) Dudley, was born in Calais, Maine, June 11, 1871. he attended the publlic schools of Pembroke and Calais. He fitted for college at Washington Academy, in East Machias, Maine, and entered Bowdoin College in 1891, graduating with the degree of A. B. in the class of 1895. He worked for the Boston & Maine Railroad Company in the auditor's department for a time, taught school one term at Princeton, Maine, and several terms at Pembroke, and then was appointed inspector in the U. S. customs service at Calais. He studied law while filling this postion in the law office of General B. B. Murray, of Calais, and was admitted to the bar in 1902. While in the custom house he was chairman of the civil service examination board. He resigned from the service in 1903 and began to practice law. In 1904 he was admitted to practice in the U. S. courts.
Mr. Dudley has been prominent in public life. He has been an active and energetic Republican. He was a member of the board of aldermen in Calais in 1904-05, and has been city solicitor since 1906. In 1908 he was elected county attorney of Washington county. He has been delegate to various nominating conventions of his party. He is a member of St. Croix Lodge, No. 46, Free Masons; of St. Croix Chapter, No. 17, Royal Arch Masons; of Hugh de Payens Commadnery, Knights Templar; of Etchimon Tribe, Improved Order of Red Men; of Eastport Lodge, No. 880, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
He attends the Congregational church.
He married, Oct. 31, 1905, Cora Ellen, born at St. Stephen, New Brunswick, March 25, 1883, daughter of John M. and Fannie (Gordon) Murchie. She has one brother, Victor McAdam Murchie, of Calais. Her father was a native of St. Stephen.