Genealogical and Family History
of the

Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.

New York

[Please see Index page for full citation.]

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]


This is one of the families which enjoys the distinction of being among the early colonists and founders of the commonwealth of New Hampshire, whence they spread througout New England and the United States. The Dearborns have always maintained the reputation of being an intelligent, energetic and progressive race, and some of them have been pesons of distinction.

(I) Godfrey Dearborn, the patriarch of the Dearborn family of the U. S., was born about 1600 in England, and Exeter, in the county of Devon, is said to be the place of his nativity. He came to Massachusetts colony about 1638, and died in Hampton, N. H., Feb. 4, 1686.
In 1639 Rev. John Wheelwright, with a company of his friends, removed from the colony in Massachusetts Bay to Exeter, in the province of New Hampshire, and founded a settlement. Supposing themselves to be out of the jurisdiction of any existing company or government, they formed and signed amongst themselves a kind of social compact, which bore the signatures of thirty-five persons, of whom Dearborn was one. He seems to have been a man of considerable standing among the colonists, which is proved by his being elected one of the selectmen both of Exeter and Hampton. His farm is said to have been situated within the present limits of the town of Stratham. He had in 1644 a grant of meadowland "on the second run, beyond Mr. Wheelwright's creek, toward Captain Wiggins." In 1645, in connection with two other persons, he had a grant of meadow "at the head of the Great Cove Creek, about six acres, if it be there to be found." Other land is mentioned as adjoining his "on the east side of the river." In 1648 he was elected one of the "Townsmen" or "Selectmen." Between 1648 and 1650 he removed to Hampton where he spent the remainder of his life.
March 4, 1650, seats in the Hampton meeting-house were assigned to "Goodman and Goodey Dearborn." On his arrival in Hampton, Godfrey Dearborn settled at the "West End," so called, on a farm ever since occupied by his descendants. One house, built between 1650 and 1686, is still (1908) standing, and constitutes a part of the present dwelling. On his removal to Hampton, Godfrey became a considerable landholder, and of some importance in the affairs of the town. In 1670 he had a grant of eighty acres, in addition to the extensive farm which he already possessed in the vicinity of his dwelling. His tax in 1653 was 15s. 10 d., and he was one of the selectmen in 1655-57-71. He made his will in 1680.
He married (first) in England, but the name of his wife is unknown. She died sometime between May 4, 1650 and Nov. 25, 1662, at which date he married (second) Dorothy, widow of Philanon Dalton. She died between 1680 and 1696.
Children, all by 1st wife:
Henry, Thomas, John, Sarah and two other daughters, whose names are unknown.

(II) Henry, eldest son of Godfrey Dearborn, was born about 1633, in England, and came to this country with his father when six years old. The record of Hampton states: "Henry Dearborn deceased January ye 18, 1724-5, aged 92 years." He was one of the selectmen of Hampton in 1676 and 1692. He was also a signer of the petition to the kind in 1683, usually called "Weare's petition."
He was married Jan. 16, 1666, to Elizabeth Marrian, born about 1644, died July 6, 1716, aged seventy-two years. She was a daughter of John Marrian, one of the first settlers of Hampton.
John, Samuel, Elizabeth (died young), Sarah, Abigail, Elizabeth and Henry.

(III) John, eldest child of Henry and Elizabeth (Marrian) Dearborn, born Oct. 10, 1666, in Hampton, settled in the part of the town now North Hampton. He was married Nov. 4, 1689, to Abigial, daughter of Nathaniel and Deborah (Smith) Batchelder, and great-granddaughter of Rev. Stephen Bachiler, a pioneer of Hampton. She was born Dec. 28, 1667, died Nov. 13, 1736.
Deborah, Jonathan, Elizabeth, Esther, Joseph, Abigail, Lydia, Ruth, Simon and Benjamin.

(IV) Simon, third son of John and Abigail (Batchelder) Dearborn, born July 31, 1706, in North Hampton, passed his life on the paternal homestead. He was married Dec. 5, 1728, to Sarah, daughter of Simon and Hannah Marston, of Hampton. She was a twin of Jonathan Marston, born Oct. 12, 1706, and died June 11, 1775.
Hannah, Abigial, John (died young), Simon, Sarah, John, Ruth, Deborah, Benjamin, Levi and Henry.

(V) Major-General Henry (2), youngest child of Simon and Sarah (Marston) Dearborn, was born Feb. 23, 1751, at North Hampton, New Hampshire. He received the best education that the schools of New England afforded, and began and finished his medical education under the instruction of Dr. Hall Jackson, of Portsmouth, who was a distinguished surgeon in the army of the revolution, and justly celebrated as one of the most able physicians New England has produced.
Dr. Henry Dearborn was settled in the practice of his profession at Nottingham-Square, N. H., three years before the beginning of the revolution, and with several gentlemen of the neighborhood employed his leisure hours in military exercises, being convinced that the time was rapidly approaching when the liberties of this country must be either shamefully surrendered or boldly defended at the point of the sword. This band of associates was determined to be prepared, and equipped themselves for the last resort of freemen. On the morning of the twentieth of April, 1775, notice by an express was received of the affair of the preceding day at Lexington. He, with about sixty of the inhabitants of the town, assembled and made a rapid movement for Cambridge, where they arrived the next morning at sunrise, having marched a distance of fifty-five miles in less than twenty-four hours. After remaining several days, there being no immediate need of their services, they returned to their homes. It being determined to raise a number of regiments for the common defense, Dr. Dearborn was appointed a captain in the first New Hampshire regiment, under the command of Colonel John Stark. Such was his popularity, and the confidence of the public in his bravery and conduct, that in ten days from the time he received his commission he enlisted a full company, and joined the regiment at Bedford on the fifteenth of May. Previous to the battle of Bunker Hill he was engaged in a skirmish on Hog Island, whither he had been sent to prevent the cattle from being carried off by the British, and later took part in an action with an armed vessel near Winnisimit ferry. On the morning of the seventeenth of June information was received that the British were preparing to come out from Boston and storm the works which had been thrown up on Breed's Hill the night before. The regiment to which he was attached was immediately paraded, and marched from Beford to the scene of the anticipate attack. When it reached Charlestown Neck, two regiments were halted in consequence of a heavy enfilading fire thrown across it, of round, bar and chain-shot from the lively frigate and floating batteries anchored in Charles river, and a floating battery lying in the river Mystic. Captain Dearborn's company being in front, he marched by the side of Colonel Stark, who, moving with a very deliberate pace, Dearborn suggested to him the propriety of quickening the march of the regiment, that it might sooner be relieved from the galling cross-fire of the enemy. With a look peculiar to himself, he fixed his eyes on Dearborn, and observed with perfect composure: "Dearborn, one fresh man in action is worth ten fatigued ones," and continued to advance in the same cool and collected manner. When the regiment arrived at Bunker Hill, the enemy were landing on the shore opposite Copp's Hill, Stark made an animated address to his men, and ordered them to make a rapid movement to the rail fence which ran from the left, and in the rear of the redoubt toward the Mystic river. This redoubt was erected and commanded by Colonel Prescott. Captain Dearborn was posted upon the right of the regiment, which gave him a full and fair view of the whole action, and, being armed with a fusee, fired regularly with his men.
In September, 1775, Captain Dearborn volunteered his services and joined the expedition of Arnold, up the Kennebec river, and through the wilderness to Quebec. He was permitted to select a company from the New Hampshire regiment for this arduous service. Thirty-two days were employed in traversing the hideous wilderness between the settlements on the Kennebec and Chaudiere rivers, during the inclement months of November and December, in which every hardship and fatigue of which human nature is capable was endured indiscriminately by the officers and troops, and a considerable portion of them starved to death. The last fragment of food in most of the companies was consumed, and Dearborn was reduced to the extremity of dividing his favorite dog among the suffering men. When he reached the Cahudiere he was too exhausted to march further, and urging his company to leave him, they did so, and he lay ill of a violent fever for ten days, without medicine and with scarcely the necessaries of life. At last he was able to join his company, and led it at the assault on Quebec, Dec. 31, 1775. All of Arnold's corps were killed or made prisoners of war. In May, 1776, he was permitted to return on parole. In March, 1777, he was exchanged and appointed major of the Third New Hampshire, commanded by Alexander Scammell, and early in May arrived at Ticonderoga, and after the retreat from Ticonderoga he made a circuit of more than one hundred and fifty miles and reached Saratoga in time to take a conspicuous part in the capture of the same army and general which had driven them from Ticonderoga. General Gates, in his official report of the battles of Saratoga, mentioned in a particular manner, and especially praised the bravery and good conduct of Dearborn, who was promoted to be lieutenant-colonel.
In Dec., 1777, he was constantly skirmishing and fighting under the eye of Washington, at Germantown. In the battle of Monmouth, his regiment first acted under orders from General Lee, but when the army was thrown into confusion and began to retreat, Washington in person turned the tide and converted defeat into victory, giving orders to Dearborn verbally. In the general orders of the next day, Washington bestowed the highest commendation upon the brilliant exploits of the New Hampshire regiment, and Colonel Brooks, the adjutant of his division, declared that the gallant conduct of the N. H. regiment was the salvation of the army and turned the tide from defeat to victory.
In 1779 he was at one time in command of the forces at New London, and was moving from place to place through Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, being in April in command of a brigade, and then accompanied General Sullivan's expedition against the Six Nations of Indians in western New York, and had an active share in the action of the twenty-ninth of August, with the united forces of Tories and Indians, at Newtown. In 1780 he was with the main army in New Jersey, and in 1781 was appointed deputy quartermaster-general, with the rank of colonel, and served with Washington's army in that capacity in Virginia. He was at the siege of Yorktown, by the combined armies of America and France, and the capture of Lord Cornwallis and his army. In 1782 the New Hampshire line having been reduced to two regiments, were commanded by Colonels George Reid and Henry Dearborn, the latter being stationed at Saratoga. In November, Col. Dearborn joined the main army at Newburgh and remained with it until the peace of 1783.
After independence was secured and acknowledged by Great Britain, Col. Dearborn, with his companions in arms who had survived the fatigues, harships and dangers of the war, returned to the pursuits of private life, and he could truly say as to property: "I went out full and returned empty." We have seen Col. Dearborn in more than eight years of war, in sickness and in health, in imprisonment, in victory and defeat, from Bunker Hill to the surrender of Cornwallis, the same ardent patriot and determined solider. In camp vigilant, circumspect and intelligent; in action determined and always pressing into close action with the bayonet, as at Saratoga and at Monmouth, in camp or action, always receiving the approbation of his commanders, whether Sullivan, Gates or Washington. Charles Coffin, in his sketch of the militlary service of General Dearborn, says: "All comparisons may be considered in some measure invidiuos, yet justice requires and truth warrants the assertion that of all the officers of the gallent New Hampshire line in the Revolutionary war, after the deaths of General Poor and Colonel Scammel, Dearborn stood first. The writer is fully aware that Stark, Cilley and Reid were all officers of great merit, but he feels compelled to make the foregoing declaration in favor of Colonel Dearborn."
In June, 1784, he removed from N. H. to the Kennebec river in Maine. In 1787 he was elected by the field officers of several regiments a brigadier-general of the militia, and soon after appointed major-general by the legislature of the commonwealth of Massachusetts. In 1789 he was appointed by Washington U. S. marshal for Maine. He was elected as a Democrat to the third congress, re-elected to the fourth, serving fom 1793 until 1797. In 1794 Louis Phillipe, afterward King of France, and Talleyrand visited General Dearborn at Pittston, remaining several days. In 1801 he was called by President Jefferson to preside over the war department, which office he held until 1809, and in that year he was appointed collector of Boston and served in that capacity until he was made senior major-general and assigned to the command of the Northern Department. In this connection the following letter may be of interest:
"Washington, January 11, 1812.
"Dear Sir: The Congress has just passed an act, adding twenty odd thousand to the military establishment it provides for two Major-Generals and five Brigadiers. The importance of placing this, and the forces in view, under the best commandrs, speaks for itself. Our eyes could not but be turned on such an occasion, to your qualifications and experience and I wait for your permission only, to name you to the senate for the Senior Major-General. I hope you will so far suspend all other considerations as not to withhold it and that I shall not only be gratified with his information, as quickly as possible but with an authority to look for your arrival here as soon as you can make it practicable. You will be sensible of all the value of your co-operation on the spot in making the arrangements necessary to repair the loss of time which has taken place. All the information we receive urges a vigorous preparation for events. Accept my best repsects and most kindly wishes.
"James Madison."
Januray twenty-eighth his appointment was confirmed, and he left Roxbury the day after he recieved this news, and at Washington laid out the plans of an active campaign on the northern and northwestern frontier. In person, at Albany, he directed the establishment of barracks, depots of arms and provisions and the whole material of war. From there he went to Boston and adopted all the measures possible for putting the garrisons and sea-coasts of Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine in the best posture of defence. It is one of the misfortunes incident to our free republican government that when war is forced upon us, it finds us unprepared in training and discipline to cope with the veteran offices and soliders of arbitrary governments, which maintain standing armies, and another is that the secretary of war and congress, and the public, through the newspapers, each in turn try to take the direction of the war. In the war of 1812 we commenced with a few old revolutionary soldiers, few of whom had seen service for twenty-five years and then only as colonels. Although Dearborn and his associates had laid out a careful plan, by which Hull was to command independently on the northwestern frontier, and Van Rensselaer on the Niagara frontier, and Deabron on the northeastern frontier, with headquarters at Albany or Sackett's Harbor, intending to move down the St. Lawrence, and take Montreal and Quebec, repeating the unsuccessful experiment of 1776, no sooner had the fight begun than the secretary of war began to direct the whole machinery at Washington. We had no telegraph system by which organized and co-operative action could at once be secured, and no railroads or steamboats, and relied only upon the man and his horse for carrying orders over a frontier of more than two thousand miles. The surrender of our fort and army at Detroit, the destruction of Fort Dearborn, at Chicago, and the massacre of its garrison and the men, women and children who then dwelt near it are too painful to dwell upon, for none of these was Dearborn responsible. The effect of these disasters was to upset all of his plans, but the casualties of the western departments, though they changed his plans, did not curb his energy, and during the winter of 1812-13, he was employed in recruiting and drilling for the next year, and he trained in military tactics some of the most magnificent young officers our country has ever produced: Scott, Taylor, Wool, Brady, Ripley, Gaines and others. His expeditious movements in 1813 with the regular army preserved Sackett's Harbor when abandoned by the militia, and rescued our fleet from destruction by the British. In April, though so prostrated by illness that he had to be carried from his bed to his horse, he commanded in person at the battle of York, resulting in the first great victory of the war, when we captured the enemy's stores and several gun-boats. Then came the attack upon Niagara, Fort George, and the taking of those strongholds. In the meantime General Lewis, the brother-in-law of John Armstrong, the new secretary of war, was plotting to secure the removal of General Dearborn, and during a severe fit of fever he was relieved by orders of the secretary "until his health should be reinstated." By the time the order was received, July 14, 1813, the iron constitution of the general had conquered the disease, and he was rapidly convalescing. The indignation of his brilliant staff of officers was great; they immediately met and addressed a letter to him, which, considering the men who wrote it, was quite remarkable. They declared "that in their judgment the circumstances render his continuance with the army of the first importance, if not indispensible to the good of the service. The knowledge we possess of your numerous services in the ardent struggles of our glorious revolution, not to speak of more recent events, has given us infinitely higher confidence in your ability to command with energy and effect than we can possibly feel in ourselves or in those who will be placed in situations of increased responsibility by your withdrawal from the army. We earnestly entreat you to continue in the command which you have already held, with honor to yourself and country." The following names were signed to the letter: John Parker Boyd, brigadier-genearl; M. Porter, colonel light artillery; James Burns, colonel Second Regiment Dragoons; H. Brady, colonel Twenty-second Infantry; C. Pearce, colonel Sixteenth Infantry; James Miller, colonel Sixth Infantry; W. Scott, colonel and adjutant-general; H. L. Milton, lieutenant-colonel Eighth Infantry; J. Chrystie, colonel Twenty-second Infantry; L. P. Preston, lieutenant-colonel Twelfth Infantry; J. P. Mitchell, lieutenant-colonel Third Artillery; J. L. Smith, lieutenant-colonel Twenty-fourth Infantry; A. Eustis, major Light Artillery; I. A. Posey, major Fifth Infantry; J. H. Huyich, major Thirteenth Infantry; N. Pinkey, major Fifth Regiment; R. Lucas, major Twenty-third Infantry; J. Woodford, major Second Regiment Dragoons; J. Johnson, major Twenty-first Infantry; W. Cumming, major Eighth Infantry; J. E. Wool, major Infantry; B. Forsyth, major Rifle Regiment; A. M. Malcomb, major Thirteenth Infantry. But General Deaborn did not feel at liberty to remain in command longer, and the secretary of war went to the field of operations and undertook the command himself, with great discredit to our arms. General Dearborn demanded a court of inquiry, but when President Madison learned of his restoration to health, he appointed him to command the district of New York, which was the heart of the continent, and was threatened by the British with the fate of Eastport and Washington, and when congress proposed to increase the army by three thousand he determined to appoint Dearborn general-in-chief of the whole army. General Dearborn did not succeed in securing the court of inquiry he wished, but a general peace was declared in January, a peace which settled the independence of America on a sure footing.
General Dearborn immediately retired to the comforts of private life, and resided at the corner of Milk and Hawley streets, Boston, until 1826, with the exception of two years spent in Portugal, where President Monroe had appointed him minister in 1822. In this house he was visited by Lafayette.
Daniel Goodwin Junior, in his discourse commemorative of the eightieth anniversay of the occupation of Fort Dearborn and the First Settlement at Chicago, read before the Chicago Historical Society, Dec. 18, 1883, is authority for many of the statements made in this sketch. Hon. John Wentworth said, at a meeting of the Chicago Historical Society: "Having expressed my views elaborately as to the public services of General Dearborn, at the unveiling of the Memorial Tablet, to mark the site of old Fort Dearborn, May 21, 1881, I will say no more of him than that history records no other man who was at the battle of Bunker Hill, the surrenders of Burgoyne and Cornwallis, and took an active part in the war of 1812."
After the revolutionary war, and the organization of the federal government, till 1824, General Dearborn received appointments from four presidents of the U. S. - all Virginians - Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe. In all these important offices, those of marshal of Maine, secretary of war, collector of the port of Boston, commander-in-chief of the army, and foreign minister, he acted with ability, integrity and the most unsullied reputation as a patriot.
He was a member of the Society of the Cincinnati, June 6, 1829 at his seat, "Brinley Place," Roxbury, Mass., he died, in the seventy-ninth year of his age.
Sept. 22, 1771, he married Mary, daughter of Israel Bartlett, of Nottingham, New Hampshire. She died Oct. 24, 1778, leaving two daughters. He married (second) March 28, 1780, Dorcas (Osgood) Marble, who died Oct. 17, 1810, leaving one daughter, Julia Caskaline, and a son, Henry Alexander Scammell Dearborn.
General Henry Dearborn married (third), in 1813 Sarah (Bowdoin) Bowdoin, widow of his cousin, James Bowdoin, the munificent patron of Bowdoin College. She died in 1826, without children.
Old Fort Dearborn, Dearborn street in Chicago and Dearborn observatory of the Chicago University were named in honor of General Dearborn.

(VI) Henry Alexander Scammell, only son of Major-General Henry (2) Dearborn, was born March 3, 1783, at Exeter, N. H., and in the following year moved with his father to the town of Pittston, on the Kennebec river in Maine. He spent two years at Williams College, Mass., but graduated at William and Mary College of Virginia, after two years spent at that ancient seat of learning. He was intended for the profession of law and began its study in the office of General Mason, at Georgetown, in the District of Columbia; he finished his legal course with Judge Story, who then lived in Salem, and applied for a diplomatic station abroad. Mr. Jefferson said he should have one, and a good one, but advised him against it, saying that no man ought to go to reside for any time abroad until he was forty years old; for he would lose his American tastes and ideas, become wedded to foreign manners and institutions, and grow incapable of becoming a loyal, useful and contented citizen of the U. S. Under this advice, young Dearborn withdrew his request and soon began to practice law in Salem.
In 1806 he opened an office in Portland, Maine, but he disliked the profession and very soon relignquished it; he said it obliged him often to take money from people who stood in the greatest need of it themselves, and to whom he felt impelled to give something, rather than exact anything from them; he could not bear to get his living in this way. This reason for a change every one who knew him as strongly characteristic of him. He was soon appointed to superintend the erection of the forts in Portland harbor, and subsequently became an officer in the Boston custom house, where his father was collector. On the father's appointment to the command of the northern army in the second war with Great Britain, the son was made collector of the port in his stead. In 1812 he had command of the troops in Boston harbor, and he was a member of the state constitutional conventon of 1822. In 1829 he was removed from the position of collector by President Jackson. In the same year he was chosen representative from Roxbury to the legislature of Massachusetts, and was immediatley transferred to the executive council. The next year he was senator from Norfolk county, and in 1831 was elected to congress from that district. Having served one term in congress, his constituents acknowledged his usefulness by a public dinner, which he attended, at Roxbury. Soon afterward he became adjutant-general of Massachusetts, in which office he continued until 1843. In 1847 he was elected mayor Roxbury, and was re-elected every subsequent year until his death, in July, 1851.
In 1829 the first movement was made by some gentlemen in the vicinity of Boston for a systematic cultivation and promotion of the arts of horticulture; for this end they formed a society - the first in New England - and General Dearborn became its first president. While holding this office he became intensely interested in the project for a rural cemetery, and Mount Auburn cemetery stands as a monument to his industry and taste. Forest Hills, also, is largely of his erection, and Dr. George Putnam, in his address before the city government of Roxbury, on the Life and Character of General Dearborn, said: "You know well how much our own 'Forest Hills' owes to him; his whole heart was in that pious work; his genius presided over its progress; it was to him a sacred labor of love - strictly that. Fitly and beautifully the laborers there replenish daily the marble vase of flowers which they have promptly placed at the foot of his grave - not only the token of their affectionate remembrance of him, but a memorial also of his tender and disinterested thoughtfulness for all the dead who should be borne there and all the living who should resort there, to mourn, to meditate or to worship."
He was emphatically the friend of internal improvements, and on this subject his sagacity was almost prophetic and his zeal amounted to enthusiasm. He followed Washington in the general idea, which that great man announced as early as 1784, of connecting the Atlantic with the Great Lakes by multiplied means of communication; and he was early and indefatigable in his endeavors to induce the people of Mass. to act upon this idea by constructing a railroad from Boston to the Hudson. The Great Western railroad owes to him a debt of gratitude which cannot well be overestimated, for he was one of its first and best and most efficient friends. "It is the most remarkable commercial avenue which was ever opened by man. There is no parallel in the proudest days of antiquity; and instead of the possibility of its ever being rivaled in any country, it will iteself be triplicated in extent, for the true and ultimate terminus is to be on the Pacific ocean; and the splendid Alexandria of the Columbia river will become the entrepot for the products of this vast continent, of China and India and of Europe and Africa." This he wrote in 1838. At a great railroad convention held in Portland in 1850 he said: "It is but twenty-five years since I proposed that a railroad should be constructed from Boston to the Hudson, and that a tunnel be mde through the Hoosac Mountains. For this I was termed an idiot; an idiot I may be, but the road is made and the tunnel through the Hoosac Mountain is in course of construction."
Hon. A. W. H. Clapp, of Portland, who married the only daughter of General Dearborn, in speaking of the wonderful accuracy and tenacity of the general's memory, said that during the railroad convention above mentioned, at which there were many delegates from the British provinces, among them an aged British admiral, whom the general had never seen, in the midst of an eloquent oration on the value of highways of communication between different lands and natons, he wandered off and described with great power and pathos a country and people somewhere long before, where the yellow fever or the cholera was raging to such an extent that almost everybody who had the power to escape went away; but one young officer who was fully at liberty to go voluntarily stayed by the natives and fought death, disease and horrors until the plague was over. Then, turning to the old admiral, whose tears were streaming down his face, General Dearborn welcomed him as the hero of his take to an American audience. Mr. Clapp said that later in the day both men met at his house and, when introduced, the admiral asked General Dearborn where he learned the particulars of that story; the general answered that he had read them in an obscure paper of New Brunswick twenty-five years before, and the moment he heard the name of the admiral all the details came back to his memory.
He was eminently an industrious man; besides the attention which he gave to his official duties and his disinterested labor to promote social progress and public improvements, he worked hard at home; he filled his leisure hours with study, and his information was remarkable for its variety and extent. This, as well as his facility in writing, is shown by a glance at the list of books which he wrote, many of which were never published; among those which have been given to the public are the following: "Dearborn's Memoirs on the Black Sea, Turkey and Egypt," with charts, three volumes; "History of Navigation and Naval Architecture, with an account of the Coast Survey of the United States," two volumes; "Monography of the Genus Camelia, from the French of the Abbe Berlese," one volume; "Treatise on Pastel from the French," one volume. Among the unpublished manuscripts are: "Journal from 1816 to 1851," 39 volumes; "Life of Major-General Dearborn," eleven volumes; "Mission to the Seneca and Tuscarora Indians," four volumes; "Tours to Illinois in 1839 and 1840," one volume; "An Account of the Reconnoissances and Surveys of routes of canals between Boston Harbor and Hudson River," four volumes; "Sketch of the Life of Major-General Dearborn, with his account of the battle of Bunker Hill and a volume of maps," two volumes; "Life of Commodore Bainbridge," one volume; "Work on Entomology," one volume; "On Grecian Architecture, with drawings," two volumes; "Writings on Horticulture," three volumes; "Massachusetts Horticultural Society and Mount Auburn," eighteen volumes; "Account of Forest Hills cemetery"; "Letters to his father while in Lisbon," six volumes; "Addresses, reports, etc.," one volume; "Life of Jesus Christ," two volumes; "Life of Colonel William Raymond Lee," two volumes; "Journal while in Congress," one volume; "Account of Ancient Painters and Paintings," translated from Pliny, one volume. This list is not complete, but it shows plainly the learning, taste and industry of General Dearborn.
In a centennial address which he delivered at Roxbury, he paid a worthy tribute to the character and services of John Eliot, the apostle to the Indians; and later manifested an ardent desire to see a monument erected in Forest Hills to the memory of this distinguished man. As early as 1811 General Dearborn was appointed by the authorities of Boston to deliver the annual Fourth of July address; it was full of fiery indignation at the insults and wrongs from Great Britain, and contained a glowing desire for such a monument to be erected upon the Charlestown hills as should commemorate the idea which gave birth to a nation destined to be the most powerful on earth; from that day until the completion of the monument he was untiring in its advocacy. A society was formed with Webster as its president and Everett as its secretary, who labored for years with matchless eloquence for this great work; the act of incorporation named Dearborn as chairman of the committee to solicit subscriptions; he was chairman of the buildings committee for many years, and Judge Warren's history of the proceedings and debates, the dinners and suppers, the committee meetings and speeches of the eight men whom he calls the brightest galaxy that the country could produce - Webster, Story, Everett, Dearborn, J. C. Warren, Amos Lawrence, General Sullivan, and George Blake - fills a large volume of most interesting reading. General Dearborn was a member of the Massachusetts Society of the Cincinnati, by inheritance, and was the president of the General Society of the Cincinnati from 1848 to 1851.
He was married at Salem, May 3, 1807, to Hannah Swett, daughter of Colonel William Raymond and Mary (Lemon) Lee, that latter a daughter of Dr. Joseph Lemon, of Marblehead.
Henry George Raleigh.
William Lee.
A daughter.
General Dearborn died while visiting his daughter in Portland, Maine, July 29, 1851, and was buried at Forest Hills, Roxbury. The city councl of Roxbury was called together as soon as his death was known, and immediate measure taken to testify their respect to his memory. The chambers of the city government were draped in mourning for three months, and besides adopting appropriate resolutions commemorative of the worth of the deceased, and of the loss which the city had sustained by his death, the council voted that a public address should be delivered at a future day, upon his life, character and public services. In September Dr. George Putnam performed this service, and a portion of the closing words seem a fitting conclusion to this sketch:
"And now his diligent and useful life on earth is closed; he whose name has been associated with that of our city for so many years has departed from amongst us. He will be missed very much; we shall miss his earnest spirit and speech, his full mind, his ready and kindly sympathies. We have lost a man, a veritable full-grown man, a goodly type of an Anglo-Saxon manhood; one who in not a few points of excellence and greatness was the foremost man of us all. * * * His stately and venerable form will be seen no more in our streets or high places; it has gone to its selected home, the spot which his care fitted up and his genius embellished for so many. Lie lightly upon his bosom, ye clods of the valley! for he trod softly upon you, in loving regard for every green thing that ye bore! Bend benignantly over him, ye towering trees of the forest! and soothe his slumbers with the whisperings of your sweetest requiem, for he loved you as his very brothers of God's garden, and nursed you and knew almost very leaf on your boughs. Guard sacredly his ashes, ye steep cliffs that gird his grave! for ye were the altars at which he worshipped the Almighty One who planted you there in your strength."

(VII) Julia Margaretta, daughter of General Henry A. S. Dearborn and wife, was born Jan. 25, 1808, in Roxbury, and was married June 23, 1834, to Hon. Asa William Henry Clapp, of Portland, Maine, at her father's seat, Brinley Place, Roxbury, and died at the Clapp mansion, Portland, June 3, 1867, leaving one child, Mary Jane Emerson Clapp.

Blind Counter