Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The name Davis, which is of Welsh origin, is derived from Davy, a variation of David. In the formation of the patronymic Davidson in many cases became Davison or simply Davis.
(I) John Davis, of Amesbury, Mass., is first mentioned in a grant of land made to him by his mother-in-law, Mrs. Martha Clough, whose daughter by a former marriage, Elizabeth Cilley, was the wife of John Davis. The grand was made in Novembe, 1684. Of the parentage of John Davis nothing is known, but it is probable that he was connected with the large and numerous Davis families of Newbury and Amesbury. His second wife was Bethiah, daughter of John and Mary (Bartlett) Ash, whom he married Oct. 19, 1702.
In 1704 his wife and two of his children were probably the ones who were captured by Indians, as related in Pike's journal. Mrs. Davis, at least, was returned alive, as we find that she was living in Amesbury in 1707. On June 28, 1708, John Davis married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Biddle, of Newbury, preceding the ceremony by an agreement by which he deeded to her his house and land in Amesbury. The date of his death is unknown.
(II) Captain John, eldest son of John Davis, was born in Amesbury, May 4, 1689. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Basford, of Hampton, Aug. 2, 1711. He moved to Biddeford, Maine, and was selectman of that town in the years 1723-36 and 1743-49. In 1746 he was ordered to recruit a force for defense against the French and Indians.
He died May 12, 1752, and his gravestone is still standing in Lower Biddeford cemetery. In his will he mentions his saw and grist mill on the east side of the Saco river. He had four sons and five daughters.
(III) Ezra, second son of Captain John Davis, was born in Biddeford, Maine, Feb. 20, 1719-20. His wife's name was Sarah, and there is strong circumstantial evidence that she was the daughter of Robert Edgecomb of Saco. He died July 26, 1800, and was buried in Limington, where his sons ahd settled.
(IV) Major Nicholas, third son of Ezra Davis, was born in Biddeford, Maine, and baptized there in June, 1753. He served in the revolution under Captain Jeremiah Hill, in Colonel James Scammon's (Thirtieth) regiment, enlisting as a private May 4, 1775, and served twelve weeks and five days. He was again with Captain Hill in Colonel Edmund Phinney's regiment at Fort George, Dec. 8, 1776, having enlisted Jan. 1, 1776.
He removed to Ossipee, or Limington, between 1777 and 1778, where he became major of the "Old Militia."
On Feb. 15, 1777, he married Charity, daughter of William and Rachel (Edgecomb) Haley.
He died Feb. 14, 1832. She died Jan. 5, 1800. They had five sons and three daughters:
John, Nicholas, Noah, Elisha, Charity, Sarah, William and Perlina.
(V) William, fifth son of Major Nicholas Davis, was born in Limington, March 5, 1796. He married Mary, daughter of Joseph and Lydia (Harmon) Waterhouse, of Standish, Sept. 26, 1817. She was descended from the Hoyt, Libby, Fernald, Hasty and Moses families. They lived in Limington. He has been described as "a man of great resolution and force of character; a judicious farmer and a respected citizen."
He died Sept. 17, 1864. She died May 29, 1871. They had six children.
(VI) Hon. William Goodwin, eldest son of William Davis, was born in Limington, June 16, 1825. He left home at the age of fourteen and came to Portland, where he was engaged in the baking business for several years. His health becoming impaired by indoor work, he began driving through the Maine towns selling cutlery and other small wares obtained in New York. He continued thus until 1858, when he entered the wholesale trade in general merchandise in partnership with James P. Baxter, the firm taking the style of Davis & Baxter. Together they became the pioneers of the canning business in Maine, importing many of their goods from England, establishing the Portland Packing Company, and exporting their products to all parts of the globe. In 1881 Mr. Davis ceased his active connection with the packing company, but he by no means ceased to be a busy man, as the offices he held in various institutions gave him plenty of employment. He engaged in building quite extensively, and erected the David block, opposite the City Hall and the West End Hotel, and in conjunction with James P. Baxter built a large store on Commercial street for Milliken & Tomlinson.
He was president of the National Traders' Bank, Poland Paper Company, Portland Trust Company, and Maine Savings Bank; a director of the First National Bank, the Portland Street Railway and of the Maine Central Railway, and a trustee of the Portland Lloyds until the business of that association was wound up in 1895. For several years he was vice-president of the Portland Board of Trade. He was a representative from Portland to the Maine legislature in 1875-76, and served as senator from the Portland district in the session of 1877. He was appointed by President Harrison one of the state commissioneres at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago, 1893.
In political matters his was many times the dominating influence, although there, as in business, he never sought the place of leader. Up to 1896 and the nomination of William Jennings Bryan, he was a very enthusiastic Democrat and gave liberally of his time and means to the party, but not approving of the Chicago platform, like other Democrats of the old school, ceased to take an active interest in politics. He never, however, ceased to be a Democrat, but he was a Democrat of the old Jacksonian school.
Mr. Davis was in many respects a very remarkable man. He filled a large place in the arena of business in Portland, much larger in fact than many credited him with filling, and not in the least disposed to push himself to the front. The esteem in which he was held by his associates was voiced at the time of his death by one who was competent to judge, as follows: "Outside of his family there is no place where Mr. Davis' death will prove a greater loss than at the banks." He was so easy to approach, so kindly and patient, and his advice was so sure to be safe and wise that he naturally became the counselor on whom all of the others leaned. Though an exceedinly busy man, he seemed to love to give his time to help his friends and especially to keep them from trouble or rescue them from difficulty. He was gifted by nature with the rare ability to quickly comprehend the situation or to see through a financial problem which other men could not master. His memory of events, dates, minute details was remarkable, and proved of great value to all who consulted him. He was a quick and sure judge of men with whom he dealt and of those who were serving under him. When he found a man on whom he could rely, he trusted him implicitly, expecting that the fullest measure of confidence would be rendered to him in return. His word was as good as his bond. Though possessed of a commanding presence, and gifted by nature with the faculty of leading men, he never instruded anywhere, never appeared to be offended, and above all never treated anyone except with courtesy and respect.
He was a resident of Portland for sixty-four years. In personal appearance Mr. Davis was attractive. He was of majestic stature and noble build, in proportion perfect. His head was large and finely developed, his features regular, his hair and beard abundant, and his complexion ruddy. His general appearance was suggestive of resolute determination, solidity, and force of will. Yet he was genial and social, was frank of speech, and a dispiser of all shams.
His religious connection was with the New Jerusalem Church, of which he was a long time leading member.
William G. David married March 4, 1849, Rhoda M. Neal, of Gardiner.
1. Helen, born 1849, married Joseph G. Cole, of Paris, Maine; deceased.
2. Walter E., born 1853, died in infancy.
3. Walter Goodwin, born Jan. 5, 1857, mentioned below.
4. William Neal, born Feb. 22, 1860, deceased.
5. Charles A., born 1862, died in infancy.
6. Edith, born 1865, married George Taylor Files, professor of German at Bowdoin College. Child, Helen Louise.
7. Florence (twin), born 1869, died in infancy.
8. Alice (twin), born 1869, died in infancy.
William G. Davis (father) died April 19, 1903, and his wife survived him only four days, dying April 23, 1903.
John NEAL, ancestor of Rhoda M. (Neal) Davis, said to have been a Scotch-Irish emigrant, was in Scituate, Mass., in 1730. He was a potter by trade. The name of his wife is unknown. He had two sons and two daughters baptized in Scituate.
John, eldest son of John Neal, was born May 5, 1728. He settled in Litchfield, Maine, a town largely settled from Plymouth colony, Mass., but apparently lived for a time in Topsham, for the Brunswick records show that on Jan. 16, 1762, "Mr. John Neele and Mrs. Abigail Hall both of Topsham" were married. It has been impossible to identify her with any of the Hall families then in Maine.
He died Aug. 18, 1799. She died Nov. 2, 1818.
Joseph, son of John Neal, was born March 24, 1769. He married Sarah, daughter of Captain Adam and Polly (Hutchinson) Johnson. They lived in Litchfield.
Joseph, son of Joseph Neal, was born March 2, 1793. He married Jan. 30, 1817, Hannah, daughter of Annis and Sarah (Hildreth) Spear, and granddaughter of Paul Hildreth, the adventurous first settler of Lewiston. They lived in Gardiner. He died March 11, 1836, while she survived until Dec. 20, 1881.
Rhoda M., daughter of Joseph Neal, was born Sept. 25, 1828, in Gardiner. She married March 4, 1849, William Goodwin Davis.
(VII) Walter Goodwin, only surviving son of William G. and Rhoda M. (Neal) Davis, was born in Portland, Jan. 5, 1857. He attended the public schools of Portland, and graduated from the high school in 1875. In that year he entered Bowdoin College, from which he graduated with the class of 1879. he immediately entered mercantile life, taking a place with the firm of David & Baxter. There he served until 1882, when the founders of the firm retired. Mr. Davis's natural qualifications seconded by the able training of his father have made his career as a business man markedly successful. Mr. Davis is vice-president of the Portland Trust Company, a director of the Traders' Bank, a trustee of the Maine Savings Bank, and has interests in various smaller institutions. He has no ambition for political honors, and is never active in political campaigns.
He is a member of Ancient Landmark Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Royal Arch Chapter; Portland Council, Royal and Select Masters; Portland Commandery, Knights Templar. He is a member of all the principal non-political clubs of the city, among which are Cumberland, Portland, Portland Athletic and the Country.
In religious faith he is a Congregationalist.
Walter G. Davis married Dec. 8, 1880, Mary Howard, born Oct. 9, 1859, daughter of Colonel Asa Waldo and Jane (Patten) Wildes, of Skowhegan.
1. Walter G., born May 14, 1885, a student at Yale, class of 1908.
2. Clinton Wildes, born June 2, 1888, also a student at Yale, class of 1911.
John WILD, immigrant ancestor of Mary Howard (Wildes) Davis, was born in England in 1618, came to America with his brother, William Wild, on the ship "Elizabeth" in 1635, and settled in Ipswich, Massachusetts. In 1639 he served in the Pequot war. About the year 1645 he married Priscilla, daughter of Zaccheus Gould, and moved to Topsfield, where he entered prominently into the life of the new town, occupying political and church offices. Priscilla (Gould) Wild died April 16, 1663, having borne him three sons and five daughters. He married (second) Nov. 23, 1663, Sarah, daughter of William Averill, of Ipswich. In 1692 she was arrested on the charge of witchcraft, convicted, and executed on July 19, of that year. The events leading to her arrest and the circumstances of her trial throw an interesting light on the life and customs of the times, but form a story too lengthly to narrate here. Two daughters of John Wild and a son-in-law were also arrested, but escaped execution. John Wild married (third) Mary Jacobs, June 23, 1693. He died in Topsfield May 14, 1705.
(II) Ephraim, only son of John and Sarah (Averill) Wild, was born in Topsfield, Dec. 1665. He married Mary, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Clark) Howlett, March 18, 1688-89. He was a prominent citizen, serving as a selectman, treasurer and constable. On the town and county records he is dignified with the titles of Mr. and quarter-master.
He died April 2, 1725, his wife surviving until May 17, 1758. They had sixteen children, four of whom settled in Arundel, Maine.
(III) Captain John, eldest son of Ephraim Wildes, was born in Topsfield June 25, 1690, died Sept. 27, 1750. He served the town as selectman for eleven years. He was a carpenter by trade, and made the town stocks in 1720. The name of his wife was Phoebe, probably a member of the Redington family. She died Sept. 30, 1765.
(IV) Amos, sixth son of Captain John Wildes, was born in Topsfield Jan. 27, 1727-28. He married Hannah, daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Porter) Perkins, Feb. 5, 1750-51. She was descended from the Gould, Dorman and Hawthorne families. He died of small-pox on May 24, 1779, and his wife committed suicide the following December.
(V) Dudley, third son of Amos Wildes, was born in Topsfield in Jan., 1759. He married Bethia, daughter of John and Bethia (Toues) Harris, of Ipswich, and a descendant of Mrs. Margaret Lake and the Bradford and Raymond families. He died Jan. 21, 1820, and she died Feb. 25, 1833.
(VI) Hon. Asa Waldo, third son of Dudley Wildes, was born in Topsfield in May, 1786. He graduated from Dartmouth College in the class of 1809, and for a time taught school in Newburyport and Washington. He was admitted to the bar in 1820 and began the practice of law in Newburyport. He continued until 1826, when a commission, now known as the county commission, was created and Mr. Wildes was appointed its chairman. He continued a member of the commission, by election and appointment until 1856, with the exception of one term, 1842 to 1845. He served on the board of selectmen of Newburyport form 1825 to 1827.
He married, June 7, 1818, at Newburyport, Eliza Ann, daughter of Captain Abel and Phoebe (Tilton) Lunt, descended from the Essex county families of Appleton, Safford, March, Gilman, Batt and Allen. They lived in a large old Colonial house on High street in Newburyport.
1. Rev. George Dudley.
2. Mary Howard (Mrs. Francis Chase).
3. Colonel Asa Waldo.
4. Colonel Henry, of San Francisco.
5. Caroline Huntington (Mrs. Henry Stanwood).
6. Annie Tilton (Mrs. George Brown).
7. Francis A.
(VII) Colonel Asa Waldo, second son of Hon. Asa Waldo Wildes, was born in Newburyport Aug. 2, 1822. At the age of sixteen he began the study of civil engineering in the office of Colonel T. M. Fessenden, then chief engineer of the Eastern railroad. Colonel Wildes was engaged in the construction of the Eastern road until its completion, when he was transferred to the Portsmouth, Saco & Portland railroad, having been engaged in the engineering department. In 1850 he was appointed resident engineer of the Maysville & Lexington railroad in Kentucky, where he remained until 1855, when he returned to Maine and took charge of the incomplete portion of the Somerset & Kennebec railroad. In 1857 he was appointed chief engineer of the Marquette Ouronagon road, Michigan. In 1859 he became chief engineer of the Grand Rapids & Indiana road extending from Fort Wayne to the Straits of Macinaw. In 1860 he returned to Maine, settled in Skowhegan, and shortly after was appointed an aide on the staff of Governor Washburn. He was appointed colonel of the Sixteenth Maine Regiment in May, 1862. He took an important part in the transportation of Maine troops to Washignton, and was at the front at the first battle of Bull Run. Serious illness, caused by long exposure, rendered him unfit for field duty, and he was finally obliged to resign his command and return to his home to regain his health. In 1862 he had been appointed railroad commissioner, and from that year until his death served the state in that capacity.
He married, April 10. 1842, Jane, daughter of Johnson and Lucy (Towne) Patten, of Kennebunkport. She died May 1, 1877. He married (second) Aug. 12, 1878, Fannie Gray. Colonel Wildes died in Augusta.
Children by 1st wife;
1. Francis, died young.
2. Geoge Lunt, born Nov. 1, 1847, married Elizabeth Neal Gilman, June 26, 1877; lived in Melrose, Mass., three sons.
3. William Henry, born Sept. 6, 1850, married Abigail Keene, Nov. 26, 1874; four sons; living in Skowhegan.
4. Annie Waldo, born Sept. 17, 1856, married Charles Douglas Whitehouse, Oct. 17, 1876; two sons, after his death she married Henry Norman James, of Franklin, Tennessee, where she is now living.
5. Mary Howard, born Oct. 9, 1859, married Dec. 8, 1880, Walter Goodwin Davis.
Robert PATTEN, immigrant ancestor of Jane (Patten) Wildes, came from the Scotch Protestant colony at Coleriane, Derry, Ireland, to America in 1727, accompanied by his wife, their young son and two brothers. The wife, whose maiden name was McGlenthlin, died on the voyage. He appears to have settle in Arundel, on the Saco road, about ten years later. His second wife, whom he married in Scarborough, Dec. 26, 1743, was Florence Johnson, undoubtedly a daughter of James Johnson, of Scarborough, also a Scotch-Irishman. His will, made March 15, 1775, mentions is wife; his son Hector of Topsham to whom he bequeaths his sawmill at Topsham; sons Robert, James and John; daughters Margaret, Mary and Rachel.
(II) James, third son of Robert Patten, married Sally Stone in Arundel, Dec. 7, 1775. It has thus far proved impossible to identify her. His second wife was Abigail Meservey. He died in the spring of 1817.
(III) Johnson, son of James and Sally (Stone) Patten, was born April 9, 1782. When a young man he was mate with his brother, Captain Robert Patten, of the schooner "President Jefferson" (1803), and of the "Paulina" (1811).
He married Lucy, daughter of Lieut. Amos and Sarah (Miller) Towne. She was born Feb. 9, 1790, and her father, a revolutionary veteran, was descended from the Towne, Curtis, Smith and Browning families of Topsfield, Mass.
Johnson Patten died June 1, 1848. Mrs. Patten survived him and died in Saco, Oct. 17, 1862.
(IV) Jane, third daughter of Johnson and Lucy (Towne) Patten, was born March 31, 1821. She married Colonel Wildes, April 10, 1842. DAVIS
The name of Davis is a very common one all over the United States, it being almost as numerous as Smith, Jones and Brown. It has produced candidates for the presidency and judge of the U. S. supreme court. They have fought on the water and on the land, have tracked the hiding savage in the wilderness, and faced the foe in the bayonet charge on the open battle ground. They have never flinched, never shirked duty.
The name comes from David, a Biblical name of Hebrew origin, meaning "the beloved."
(I) The commencement of the line with which we now have to do may be safely set at Yarmouth, Cape Cod, Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There, Robert Davis came from England about 1638. In 1643 he was on the roll of those able to bear arms. He was admitted a freeman in 1659, and removed to Barnstable about 1650. He was not a wealthy man.
"An honest good man,
And got his living by his labor,
And Goodman Shelly was his neighbor."
His character for honesty and industry was his legacy to future generations. His farm was on the south side of Dead Swamp, which he purchased from the Indians.
The name of his wife was Ann. He died in 1693. His will was dated April 14, 1688, and admitted to probate June 29, 1693. To Josiah he gave a house lot. His widow Ann died in 1701. The fact that she refers in her will, dated May 5, 1699, only to the younger children yields ground for the belief that she was a second wife.
Deborah, Mary, Andrew, John, Robert, Josiah, Ann, Hannah, Sarah, Joseph and Mercy.
(II) Josiah, sixth child and fourth son of Robert and Ann Davis, was born in Barnstable in 1656, and married Ann, daughter of Richard Taylor, of Yarmouth.
John, Hannah, Josiah, Seth, Ruth, Sarah, Jonathan, Stephen and Aura.
He had a venture on a trading vessel and was a man of parts. His house was named in the laying out of the county road in 1686; it stood a few feet east of the present (1908) dwelling of Lot Estabrooks. His will was dated April 21, 1709, and the estates inventoried 500 pounds. He was in Captain John Gorham's company in King Philip's war. He was in the memorable battled, memorable for its brutal savagery and the stubborn valor of the colonists, fought in South Kingston, Rhode Island, in which the Narragansetts were completely routed and their power as a nation of warriors overthrown. It was the last stand of the Narragansetts. No more was heard in the midnight watches of their dreadful warwhoop.
(III) Josiah (2), second son and third child of Josiah (1) and Ann (Taylor) Davis, was born in Barnstable, Aug., 1687, and married Mehitable, daughter of Edward Taylor, of West Barnstable.
Edward, Mary and Josiah.
(IV) Josiah (3), third child of Josiah (2) and Mehitable (Taylor) Davis, was born in Barnstable, Aug. 2, 1718. He married Thankful Matthews in 1745; (second) Thankful, daughter of Ebenezer and Temperance (Haws) Gorham. He resided in the house in which his father had lived.
The general court of Massachusetts rewarded the soldiers who served in the King Philip war with grants of land in the province of Maine. In this way Gorham in Cumberland county, Maine, came to be settled, and was called "Narragansett No. 7," it being the seventh town granted away for this purpose. Thither removed many families from the South Shore of Cape Cod as early as 1743, and thither removed Josiah (3) with his family in 1762.
(V) John, son of Josiah (3) and Thankful (Gorham) Davis, was born in Barnstable in 1761. He married Patience, daughter of James and Mary (Gorham-Phinney) Irish, in 1789. Her grandfather, James Irish, served under the famous Indian fighter, Colonel Wentworth, at Penobscot Bay. Her father was also a noted fighter, and served under Washington at Cambridge, Mass.
John served in the unfortunate Penobscot expedition in Captain McMellen's company, 1779. The battle of Castine followed, from which the Americans retired without winning the prize of victory. The soldiers made their way back through wilderness to civilization the best way they could, each one for himself. They suffered much from want of food and exposure.
The family of John and Patience Davis consisted of:
Sally, Thankful, James, Rebecca, Temperance, Martha, Mary, Solomon and Cyrus.
(VI) Cyrus, youngest son and ninth child of John and Patience (Irish) Davis, was born in Buxton, Maine. He married (first) Martha Chase.
He married (second) Harriet A. Pratt.
Oscar Pratt, Edward C., Joseph B., Martha G., John C. and Cyrus W.
(VII) Hon. Cyrus W., fifth son and sixth child of John and Harriet A. (Pratt) Davis, was born in Buxton, Maine, and to its schools and Gorham Academy was indebted for his early education. He married Flora E., daughter of Joseph Philbrook, of Lisbon Falls, Dec. 25, 1879.
Harold P., born March 6, 1887.
Russell Wendell, born June 13, 1892.
Starting in business with Hon. E. H. Banks, a dry goods merchant of Biddeford, he was later associated with S. Smith, Jr., of Waterville, in the same business. Since he has been senior partner in the brokerage and banking company of Davis & Soule, with offices in New York, Boston, St. John and Waterville. He is a director in many corporations, giving particular attention to mining and electric railroads. He is a man of sound business judgment, successful in whatever he undertakes. Public-spirited, he is loyal to the interests of his adoptec city and native state, than whom none of her sons are more deserving of recognition. A man of his stamp and character does not have to wait long without call to political duty. Accordingly in 1900 he was elected on the Democratic ticket to the lower house, and given a re-election in 1903, which itself shows in what regard he was held by the community and how well he gave an account of his stewardship. He served on the committee of ways and means, insurance, and mercantile affairs. He was accorded at both sessions of which he was a member the honor of nomination for speaker by his party, though in the minority it was no less a merited compliment. Mr. Davis was the member who introduced the first resolution in regard to the resubmission of the fifth amendment, touching the manufacture and sale of intoxicating liquor.
He is a forceful speaker, and what he says carries weight.
In 1903 he was mayor of Waterville, and in 1904 and 1906 was candidate for governor of Maine on the Democratic ticket. In politics he is a Democrat, and in religion Baptist.
He is a thirty-second degree Mason, past master of Waterville Lodge, a member of Teconnet Chapter, R.A.N., No. 52, and past commander of St. Omer Commandery, K. T.
Dolor Davis, immigrant of this Davis family, was one of the most prominent pioneers of both colonies. His posterity is very numerous, and among them have been some very distinguished men, namely: Hon. John Davis, governor and U. S. senator, and Hon. John D. Long, governor, congressman, and secretary of the navy.
Dolor Davis married in county Kent, England, March 29, 1624, Margery, daughter of Richard Willard, of Horsemonden, county Kent, yeoman. She was baptized there Nov, 7, 1602, and died before 1667. Accompanied by his wife, three children and Simon Willard, his wife's brother, Dolor Davis came to New England and settled prior to Aug. 4, 1634, in Cambridge. Simon Willard was one of the founders of Lancaster; he was captain of foot in 1646, major in 1654, and at his death in 1673 "the colony lost one of its most distinguished members."
Dolor Davis was a carpenter and master builder. He received his first grant of land in Cambridge, June 4, 1635, and others later. He removed to Duxbury, Aug. 5, 1638-39, and was admitted a freeman and granted land there in 1640. He was a resident of Barnstable in 1643, and was admitted a freeman there June 2, 1646. He was honored in Barnstable with various public offices, including those of highway surveyor and constable.
He and his wife were dismissed from the Duxbury to the Barnstable church Aug. 27, 1648. In 1656 he left Plymouth colony and returned to Mass. Bay, and purchased in Concord one hundred and fifty acres with a house thereon. In 1666, however, he returned to Barnstable, and died there in June, 1673. His will was dated Sept. 13, 1672, and proved July 2, 1673. It mentions sons Simon and Samuel as alreay having their portions; eldest son John; son-in-law Lewis and Mary his wife; and daughter Ruth Hall.
1. John, born in England about 1626, to whom was bequeathed the Concord homestead.
2. Mary, born in England about 1631.
4. Lieutenant Simon, married Mary Blood.
5. Samuel, mentioned below.
6. Ruth, born in Barnstable March 24, 1645.
(II) Samuel, son of Dolor Davis, was born in England or Cambridge about 1635. He married, at Lynn, Jan. 11, 1665-66, Mary Meadowes, who died at Concord Oct. 3, 1710. He married (second) Oct. 18, 1711, Ruth Taylor, who died Aug. 6, 1720.
He was admitted a freeman March 21, 1689-90. He settled in that part of Concord that became Bedford, and his farm was on the back road from Concord to Bedford. He divided his real estate among his sons before his death by deeds.
1. Mercy, born Oct. 27, 1666, died Dec. 18, 1667.
2. Samuel, b. June 21, 1669, mentioned below.
3. Daniel, b. March 26, 1673, married at Concord April 27, 1699, Mary Hubbard; resided at Bedford; died Feb. 11, 1741.
4. Mary, b. Aug. 12, 1677, married April 26, 1669, John Stearns.
5. Eleazer, b. July 26, 1680, married May 7, 1705, Eunice Potter.
6. Lieutenant Simon, b. Aug. 9, 1683, married 1713, Dorothy _____; removed to Rutland about 1720; died Feb. 16, 1763; buried at Holden.
7. Stephen, b. March 20, 1686, married March 26, 1713, at Concord, Elizabeth Fletcher; resided at Beford.
(III) Samuel (2), son of Samuel (1) Davis, was born at Concord June 21, 1669. He resided at Bedford and Chelmsford and was one of the early proprietors of Townsend. He married March 2, 1697, Abigail Read, who died Jan. 13, 1709. He married (second) about 1710, Mary Law.
Children of 1st wife:
1. Abigail, born Jan. 27, 1698.
2. Mary, born Nov. 18, 1700.
3. Samuel, born Oct. 3, 1703, mentioned below.
4. Jacob, born July 8, 1707, settled in Lunenburg.
Children of 2d wife:
8. Lydia, born Dec. 4, 1716.
10. Deliverance, born Nov. 27, 1722.
(IV) Samuel (3), son of Samuel (2) Davis, was born at Beford, Oct. 3, 1703. He settled in Lunenburg, perhaps in the part that became Townsend. He was fence viewer of Lunenburg from 1731-1736, hog reeve in 1733. He seems to have been a carpenter by trade.
He married (first) Sarah ____ and (second) Jan. 13, 1746-47, at Lunenburg, Rebecca Larkin, of Groton. He died in 1775 at Lunenburg, leaving a widow, Margaret.
1. Samuel, born March 20, 1730, died young.
2. Sarah, born Dec. 7, 1732, died Feb. 10, 1737.
3. Samuel, born June 7, 1735.
4. Joseph, born May 20, 1738, mentioned below.
5. Submit, married _____.
6. Hannah, mentioned in will.
(V) Joseph, son of Samuel (3) Davis, was born at Lunenburg, May 20, 1738. He was a soldier in the revolution, in Captain Samuel Stone's company of minute-men, Colonel William Prescott's regiment, at Lexington. He served in 1776 in the Ashby company, in New York. He settled in Townsend in the part set off as Ashby, and at one time owned what is now the centre of Ashby. Later in life he removed to Maine and had a farm there. He died in Maine.
He married, at Lunenburg (intention dated Oct. 22, 1757), Nov. 8, 1757, Elizabeth Foster.
Among his children were:
Reuben, born at Ashby Dec. 23, 1783, died Dec. 1, 1835; married Hannah Emerson Walker.
Polly, married ____ Wheeler, and resided at Townsend.
Heald, mentioned below.
(VI) Heald, son of Joseph Davis, was born at Ashby, Mass., in 1792, died at Lubec in 1860. He was a farmer and mason by trade. He settled in Lubec, Maine in 1818. He served in the war of 1812 and took part in the battle of Plattsburgh, New York.
He married Mary Barnes, of Bath, Maine, born in 1800, daughter of Joseph Barnes, who was a soldier in the revolution in Colonel Strout's (Eveventh Massachusetts) regiment and was a pensioner of the United States when he died in 1836.
Eben Adams, Mary Ann, Frances Maria, William H., Emily Fowler, Sybil, John Albion, (mentioned below.)
Joseph BARNES, of an old New England family lived at Harpswell, Maine. He was a soldier in the revolution at the age of sixteen and served three years, being mustered out at West Point; was late in life a pensioner. His grandmother was of Scotch descent. [trans. note: Scottish would be the correct word. Scotch is a drink.] He married Lydia Thompson, whose sister Susan married a Captain Kent of the British army. Barnes and Kent both settled after the war at Three Islands, Grand Manan, Maine. Children of Captain and Susan KENT were: Jonathan, Samuel, Joseph, Polly, Hepsibah, Elizabeth, Susan and Nancy, and both of the latter married Cheneys of Grand Manan. Barnes settled at Lubec, Maine, and died there. He was buried in the Lubec burial ground. Children: i. Moriah (twin), married ____ Thompson. (ii) William (twin), died unmarried. (iii) Mary, married Heald Davis. (iv) John, lived in New York and followed the sea for a livelihood.
(VII) Captain John Albion, son of Heald Davis, was born at Lubec, April 10, 1832. He attended the public schools of his native town. He began as a cabin boy to follow the sea, then shipped as cook and finally as able seaman. He was second mate of a ship four years after he began to follow the sea in 1848, and in 1855 was a master mariner. For a period of forty-five years he followed the sea and he is one of the best known skippers of Lubec. He left the sea to engage in business with his son-in-law, Bion Moses Pike, of Lubec. The firm name is Davis & Pike, whoesale dealers in cured and pickled fish of all kinds and in salt. The firm has built up a flourishing trade, shipping their goods to all parts of the country.
In the civil war he was appointed an ensign of the U. S. navy by Hon. Gideon Welles, secretary of the navy, and from that time until 1865 he was in the service, mostly in the Farragut and West Gulf squadrons, in the Cape Fear district of North Carolina.
In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of William H. Brawn Post, No. 138, Grand Army of the Republic, and past commander and a member of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of America, Department of Maine; of Washington Lodge, No. 37, Free and Accepted Masons, of Lubec. He is a member of the Christian church.
He married Ann Maria Comstock, born May 21, 1832.
1. Nelson Rexford, born 1857, died 1872.
2. Lizzie Comstock, b. Feb. 5, 1862, married Bion Moses Pike, of Lubec.
3. Mary Davis, b. Oct. 28, 1870, married Irving W. Case, of Lubec.