Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
Few families in this country can trace a longer authenticated line than the Conants, for it extends two generations beyond Roger, the immigrant ancestor who landed on American shores in 1623. The name appears to be primarily of Celtic derivation, and in its early form of Conan, or Conon, is found among various races of Celtic origin, including the Britons, Welsh, Irish, Gaels and Bretons. Etymological research indicates that the word is the equivalent of the Welsh cun, Irish cean, Saxon cuning, German konig, Dutch koning, Swedish konung and the Oriental khan - all meaning head, chief, leader or king.
Whether the family came from the Breton of Cornish branch of the Celtic race it is impossible to say. At all events, they were settled in Devonshire as early as the beginning of the fourteenth century. In England thirty-two ways of writing the name have been found, and there are nine others in America, making forty-one in all. Some of the American forms, which include nine also used in England, are: Conant, Cannant, Connont, Connott, Connanght, Connunght, Connaught, Conet, Connet, Connett, Conat, Cunnet, Cunnant, Conit, Connit, and Connitt. In Devonshire, the old home of the family, the name is written Conant, the common pronunciation is Connet or Cunnet. The earliest example of the name with the final t yet found, occurs in the Patent Rolls of England in the year 1277 when there was litigation between Robert Couenaunt and Filota, late wife of Richard Couenanunt, touching the tenement in Alveton, Staffordshire. Four years later, a Robert Conet was a tenant of the manor of Horncastle, Lincolnshire. In the year 1327 Alexander Conaunt was living in the Hundred of Exminster, Devonshire.
(I) John Conant, with whom the authentic genealogy of the family begins, lived in the parish of East Budleigh, England, but was probably born about the year 1520, at Gittisham, some ten or twelve miles northeast of Budleigh. In the thirteenth year of Queen Elizabeth (1571), he was assessed for goods of the yearly value of four pounds. In 1577 John Conant and Edmond ffowler held the office of church-warden at East Burleigh, a post of considerable importance in those days. John Conant was buried at East Budleigh, March 30, 1697. The marriage registers of this parish lack the names of women down to 1605, so it is not possible to tell whom John Conant married, and the only child recorded is Richard, next mentioned.
(II) Richard, son of John and ____ Conant, was probably born in the parish of East Budleigh about the year 1548. In 1606 Richard Conant and Henry Cowden were church-wardens of the parish, and in 1616 Richard Conant again filled the office. In 1630 he was rated at two shillings sixpence, next to the highest rating in the parish. It is interesting to remember that Sir Walter Raleigh was born at Hays House in East Budleigh, and his father was one of the church-wardens in 1561. Sir Francis Drake was also connected with the parish, and the tales of these two explorers must have had an important influence in leading two of the sons of Richard Conant to embark for the new world.
The marriage of Richard Conant took place at Colyton, a market town of Devonshire, eight miles from East Budleigh. The quaint record reads: "Rychard Counnett, the soone of John Counnett, of Easte Budleye, was wedded unto Agnes Clarke, the daughtr of John Clarke, senior, of Collyton, the iiij days of ffebruary, 1657." Agnes Clarke was born May 16, 1548, and her mother Anne, dau. of William Macye, of Colyton. After a married life of nearly fifty years, Richard and Agnes Conant were buried the same day, Sept. 22, 1630, and both are spoken of as persons of "exemplary piety."
The inventory of the estate, which amounted to one hundred and twenty-nine pounds fourteen shillings and four pence, contains some interesting items as showing how an English cottage was arranged in those days. In the Hall, among other things, were "one long tableborde, 1 squre tableborde, 2 formes, 3 chairs and 6 joynt stolls." The "new parlour" contained a feather bed, "2 feather boulsters, 1 yard of Blankett and coverlett," while the "old parloud" was rich in "1 standing bedsted and 1 trundle bedsted." In the Buttery were "3 dozzen of Tranchers, 6 brasse Candlesticks, 1 pessel and morter," beside sundry other house-keeping furnishings. In the "Shoppe next to the Hall" were "2 beames and skales with some brass and leadden waights" beside a counter and a chest; but the only item "in the longe Enery and in the Kitchen" reads "2 cubbords." The "brewinge House" had "3 brasse pots, 3 brasse Caldrons, skillets, and a brasse ladle" besides divers other utensils; and the Milk house had "10 brass milk pannes" and other items. The "Weaving Shopp" had "2 old Coffers with some boards and other small triffells," and was evidently a place of storage for bedding not in use. The new parloud is referred to again as containing "on silver bowle and 5 silver spoones" and no other silver is mentioned. There is no statement regarding knives or table utensils of any kind except in the brewing-house, where "1 dozen wooden dishes and one dozen of spoones," probably wooden, are enumerated. Forks were scarcely known then.
The Conants must have been people of some education, because the new parloud had a "liberry table, 2 great deskes and one lesser one, on grete byble and a deske and other bookes." The contents of four chambers are disclosed. Some of the unusual items are "2 dozen of Table napkins," evidently kept for occasions of great ceremony, "2 pare verginalls," a musical instrument of primitive construction, "a Skaymer and cheese Racke," which might more properly belong in the buttery, and "a crosbowe and bender." The parlors were evidently furnished with beds - a custom which obtained in many New England farmhouses well into the nineteenth century.
Eight children of Richard and Agnes (Clarke) Conant are recorded:
Joan, Richard, Robert, Jane, John, Thomas, Christopher and Roger (whose sketch follows).
The two younger brothers migrated to America; but the last record of Christopher Conant occurs in Nov., 1630, when he was a member of the first jury for cominal trial in this country, impanelled for the trial of Walter Palmer, for manslaughter. It is possible that he may have returned to England, because if he had died in Massachusetts some record of that fact would probably have been preserved.
Of the sons of Richard Conant who remained in England:
John became a fellow of Oxford University and rector of St. Thomas Church, in Salisbury. On July 26, 1643, he preached a sermon before the House of Commons, which was printed by order of that body. From a rare copy which has been preserved we know that the title page gave the theme as "The Weal and Woe of God's People," and the discourse, which contains fifty-six printed pages, was delivered on a fast day, or day of "publike humiliation."
Two of Richard Conant's grandsons also entered the church. Richard (3), son of Richard (2) Conant, was graduated from Emanuel College, Cambridge, in 1645, and afterwards became vicar of the church at East Budleigh; but the most noted of the family was Rev. Dr. John Conant, vice chancellor of Oxford University. He was the son of Robert Conant, and grandson of Richard, and was made fellow of Exeter College, Oxford, July 3, 1633. He becama an eminent Oriental scholar, and was noted for being a sound and solid expositor, and "for clearing the true sense of such texts as were misinterpreted by the Socianians and other heretics." Dr. Conant became rector of Exeter College, vicar of Kidlington, regius professor of Divinity, and on Oct. 5, 1657, was appointed by Richard Cromwell to be vice-chancellor of the University of Oxford. After the restoration he was installed archdeacon of Norwich, and finally made prebendary of Worcester. His biography indicates that he was a man of unusual character, wisdom and influence.
(III) Roger, sixthe son and youngest of the eight children of Richard and Agnes (Clarke) Conant, was baptized at All Saints Church, in the parish of East Budleigh, Devonshire, England, April 9, 1592. It is probable that he received a good education for his day, as his parents were people of substance and intelligence as well as of exemplary piety. Roger Conant was frequently called upon to survey lands, lay out boundaries and tranact public business. On Jan. 20, 1619-20, Christopher Conant, grocer, and Roger Conant, salter, signed a bond for their brother John. The two signers register themselves as both of the parish of St. Lawrence, Jewry, London. Various circumstances indicate that Roger was a freeman of the Salter's Guild, the ninth of the twelve great livery companies, which would require an apprenticeship of seven years. It is probable that he remained in London about fourteen years, or until the time of his migration to America.
Roger Conant reached this country in 1623, and the supposition is that he came over with his brother Christopher, who sailed on the ship "Ann," which arrived in Plymouth, Mass. in July that year. Roger did not long remain at the Pilgrims' town, owing to a difference in religious belief between the original proprietors and himself. They were separatists, and he a non-conformist, or Puritan, and in 1624 he found it desirable to join some newly arrived immigrants at Nantasket, or Hull. It was probably while here that he made use of what is now known as Governor's Island, in Boston Harbor, but which at that time and for some years after, bore the name of Conant's Island. During the next winter, Rev. John White, of Dorchester, hearing of the settlement at Nantasket, and of Roger Conant, "a pious, sober and prudent Gentleman," chose him to manage the affairs of the Dorchester Company at Cape Ann. It was soon found that this region was a poor place for planting, and many of the settlers returned to England; but Roger Conant and a few sturdy followers decided to remain and fix their habitation at Naumkeag, now Salem. His was the first house built in that now historic town. Let use read Hawthorne's beautiful description of the scene:
"You perceive, at a glance, that this is the ancient and primitive wood - the ever-youthful and venerably old - verdant with new twigs, yet hoary, as it were, with the snowfall of innumerable years, that have accumulated upon its intermingled branches.. . . . . Roger Conant, the first settler in Naumkeag, has built his dwelling, months ago, on the border of the forest-path; and at this moment he comes eastward, through the vista of the woods, with a gun over his shoulder, bringing home the choice portions of a deer. His stalwart figure, clad in a leathern jerkin and breeches of the same, strides sturdily onward, with such an air of physical force and energy that we night almost expect the very trees to stand aside and give him room to pass. And so, indeed, they must; for humble as is his name in history, Roger Conant still is of that class of men who do not merely find, but make, their place in the sytem of human affairs; a man of thoughtful strength, he has planted the germ of a city. There stands his habitation, showing in its rough architecture some features of the Indian wigwam, and some of the log cabin, and somewhat too, of the straw-thatched cottage of Old England, where this good yeoman had his birth and breeding. The dwelling is surrounded by a cleared space of a few acres, where Indian corn grows thrivingly among the stumps of the trees; while the dark forest hems it in, and seems to gaze silently and solemnly, as if wondering at the breadth of sunshine which the white man spreads around him."
Perpahs further mention should be made of Conant's connection with Cape Ann. Although he remained there only about four years (1624-28), he was the head of the settlement, the first permanent one in Massachusetts territory, and the germ from which the Mass. Bay Colony sprung. John Wingate Thornton, in his valuable historical investigation, contends that Conant was the first and only governor under the Sheffield, or Cape Ann Charter, as Endicott was the first under the second and Mass. Charter. Contrasting the characters of Conant and Endicott, Thornton says: "Beside strict integrity, there was little common to them. Each was particularly fitted for the duties and periods assigned to him, and had the order been reversed the result would have been fatal. Conant was moderate in his views, tolerant, mild and conciliatory, quiet and unobtrusive, ingenuous and unambitious, preferring the public good to his private interests; with the passive virtues he combined great courge, and an indonitable will. * * * Governor Conant's true courage and simplicity of heart and strength of principle eminently qualified him for the conflicts of those rude days of perils, deprivation and trail. * * Endicott was the opposite of Conant, arbitrary and sometimes violent, he ruled with a determined hand, and carried the sword unsheathed, quick to assert and ready to maintain his rights; firm and unyielding; * * * a man of theological asperuty, and bigoted."
That Conant was a man of dignity and influence in the Salem and Cape Ann region we have ample official evidence. During the year 1634 the freemen elected twenty-four of their own number as deputies to the general court, which met at Boston, on May 14. This was the second representative assembly which met in this country, that of Virginia being the first. Roger Conant was one of the deputies from Salem, and thus assisted in laying the foundation stones of our govenment. His name constantly appears as a member of the jury, as one of the committee to determine bounds, or in some relation to the meeting-house. He was one of the selectmen in 1637-38-39, 1640-41, 1651-52-53-54-57.
Both Roger Conant and his wife were among the original members of the First Church at Salem, and in 1637 both signed the renewed covenant. In 1667 the residents of what is now known as Beverly were dismissed from the church at Salem and organized into a separate congregation. The name of Roger Conant is first on the list of members, and he was on the committee to fix the salary of Rev. John Hale. The next year the part of Salem known as Bass river, on Cape Ann side, was incorporated under the name of Beverly. The latter name was not acceptable to Conant, and on March 28, 1671, he drew up a petition to the "honorabel Generall Court" concerning the matter. This petition, which was signed by thirty-four others besides himself, is so quaint that a few sentences may be worth quoting:
"Now my unble suite and request is vnto this honorabel Court onlie that the name of our towne or plantation nay be altered or changed from Beverly and called Burleigh. I have two reasons that have moved me to this request. The first is the great dislike and discontent of many of our people for this name of Beverky, because (wee being but a small place) it hath caused on us a constant nickname of beggarly . . . . Secondly: I being the firs that had house in Salem (and never had any hand in naming either that or any other towne) and myelf with those that were then with me, being all from the western part of England, desire this western name of Budleigh, a marker towne of Deunosheer and neere vnto the sea as we are heere in this place and where myself was borne. Now in regard of our firtnesse and antiquity in this soe famous a colony, we shoud umblie request this littell priedlidg with your fauors and consent, to giue this name abousesaid vunto our town."
This petition was not granted, but it is worth recording as showing the sentiment of Roger Conant for his childhood home, which he had left nearly fifty years before.
Roger Conant died Nov. 19, 1679, in the eighty-eighth year of his age, but the place of is burial is not known. He left a will, and an estate whose inventory amounted to two hundred and fifty-eight pounds, ten shillings.
On Nov. 11, 1618, Roger Conant married Sarah Horton, in the parish of Saint Ann's, Blackfriars, London. She was living in 1666, but probably died before her husband, as she is not mentioned in the will. There were nine children by this marriage, all of whom but the two elder were born in this country.
1. Sarah, christened in London, Sept. 19, 1619, died next year.
2. Caleb, christened May 27, 1622, in London; died young.
3. Lot, whose sketch follows.
4. Rober, born 1626, the first white child born in Salem, Mass.
5. Sarah, born 1628.
9. Exercise, baptized Dec. 24, 1637.
(IV) Lot, eldest of the seven surviving children of Roger and Sarah (Horton) Conant, was born about 1624, at Nantasket, or Cape Ann, Mass. He seems to have lived at Marblehead as early as 1657, He was selectman there in 1662, had one cow's commonage in 1667, and in 1674 is recorded as one of the hundred and fourteen householders. About 1666 he probably moved to Beverly, because his father gave him a hundred acres of land there, and July 4, 1667, Lot Conant wa sone of those dismissed from the church at Bass River, or Beverly. He appears to have been a man of substance; but he did not fill so large a place in public affairs as did his father. Possibly this may be acounted for by his early death, which took place Sept. 29, 1674, when he was but fifty years of age. He left a will, and an estate whose "sum totall" amounted to seven hundrd and eighty pounds, more than three tunes as nych as his father had, who died five years later. Seven hundred and eighty pounds was a large sum to be accumulated in those days by a man who had reared ten children and died in middle life.
About 1649 Lot Conant married Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. William Walton, who took his degrees at Emanuel College, Cambridgve, in 1621 and 1625. This clergyman was settled over the parish of Seaton in Devonshire, where his daughter was baptized Oct. 27, 1629. It is thought that he came to America about 1635, as he was made a freeman at Hingham, Mass. March 3, 1636. He settled at Marblehead as early as 1639, and was pastor there till his death in 1668.
Children of Lot & Elizabeth (Walton) Conant:
1. Nathaniel, b. July 28, 1650.
2. John, b. Dec. 15, 1652.
3. Lot (2), mentioned below.
4. Elizabeth, b. May 13, 1660.
5. Mary, b. July 14, 1662.
6. Martha, b. Aug. 15, 1664.
7. & 8. Sarah and William (twins), b. Feb. 19, 1666-67.
9. Roger, b. March 10, 1668-69.
10. Rebecca, b. Jan. 31, 1670-71.
Mrs. Elizabeth Conant married (second) after her husband's death. On Jan. 10, 1681-82, she became the third wife of Andrew Mansfield, of Lynn, whose will was proved Nov. 25, 1683; so that her second wedded life must have been very short.
(V) Lot (2), third son of Lot (1) and Elizabeth (Walton) Conant, was born Feb. 16, 1657-58, at Beverly, Mass., where he lived till 1717, when he moved to Ipswich. He was in Captain Joseph Gardiner's company during King Philip's war, and took part in the attack on Fort Naragansett, Dec. 19, 1675. He was admitted to the First Church of Beverly, March 1, 1701-02, and to full communion on July 19 of that year.
The date of the death of Lot Conant is not known, but his will was proved Jan. 19, 1744-45, making it probable that he lived to be at least eighty-six, or nearly as old as his grandfather, the original Roger Conant. His will indicates him to have been a large owner of lands in Ipswich, Topsfield and Marbleheaad, and beside the real estate, live stock, household goods and other thingvs whose value is not stated, he bequeaths sums of money amounting to three hundred and ninety pounds, old Tenor. The will is signed Lott Conant and dated Jan. 13, 1743-44; it was proved almost exactly one year from that date.
The first wife of Lot Conant was Abigail ____, and there were five children:
1. Samuel, born March 30, 1687.
Of these five children Abigail and Jonathan were the only ones who lived to maturity.
Lot Conant married (second) Abigail Pride, daughter of John and Mary Pride, who was baptized Dec. 12, 1686, and was admitted to the church Feb. 23, 1706-07.
6. Joseph, whose sketch follows.
7. Ruth, b. Nov. 18, 1702.
8. Joshua, b. Dec. 2, 1704.
9. Elizabeth, b. April 28, 1706.
10. Joshua, b. Oct. 12, 1707.
11. Joanna, b. Nov. 15, 1709.
12. Bartholomew, b. Feb. 4, 1711-12.
13. Elizabeth, b. March 27, 1715.
14. Samuel, b. Nov. 18, 1717.
15. William, b. March 8, 1720.
Of these last ten children four, Joshua, Elizabeth, Bartholomew and Elizabeth died young.
(VI) Joseph, eldest child of Lot (2) Conant and his second wife, Elizabeth (Pride) Conant, was born at Beverly, Mass., Nov. 9, 1701. He was the first one of his family to move to Maine, where his descendants have lived ever since. He was admitted an inhabitant of Falmouth, Maine, April 22, 1728, upon the payment of ten pounds. During the next three years the proprietors assigned him forty-three acres of land in three different lots; and on Aug. 10, 1734, they laid out for him forty-three acres of land on the Presumpscot river in exchange for the same amount previously assigned him at Falmouth. They also gave him sixty acres on the southerly side of the Presumpscot river. He is said to have been the first settler of Saccarappa village, which he reached by going up the river in a canoe. He built his house on the north side of the river near the falls where he owned the mill privilege in common with his younger brother Samuel. From deeds still extant, it appears that he owned both saw and grist mills.
The funeral of Joseph Conant is recorded as occurring on Jan. 2, 1765, and his death probably took place three days earlier. Mr. Conant's death was without doubt the direct result of the amputation of a leg, which occurred on Nov. 27, 1764. Few constitutions could survive the primitive surgery of those times.
On Dec. 9, 1725, Joseph Conant married Sarah Jewett, at Boxford, Mass.; she was the daughter of Thomas and Hannah Jewett, and was baptized July 12, 1702.
1. Hannah, born at Ipswich, Mass., Dec. 27, 1726.
2. Lot, born Nov. 7, 1728, at Falmouth, Maine, died young.
3. Thomas, born Dec. 2, 1731, died young.
4. & 5. Elizabeth and Sarah (twins), born Oct. 3, 1733.
(VII) Joseph (2), youngest child of Joseph (1) and Sarah (Jewett) Conant, was born in Falmouth, Maine, about 1738. He lived at Duck Pond in Falmouth, now Westbrook, till about 1810, when he moved to Lisbon in Androscoggin county, where he engaged in the lumber business.
He died June 27, 1816, at Portland, Maine, where there as witness at a trial.
On June 10, 1762, Joseph Conant married Anna Shackford.
1. Hannah, married Joseph Elder.
2. Anne, married Nathan Partridge.
4. Thomas, mentioned below.
5. George, who died young.
(VIII) Thomas, younger of the two surviving sons of Joseph (2) and Anna (Shackford) Conant, was born in Westbrook, Maine, in 1773, and died at Lisbon in the same state in 1854. He was a millwright, lumberman and farmer, and lived for a time in Bowdoin before going to Lisbon. He served as corporal in the war of 1812.
On Oct. 5, 1795, Thomas Conant married Rachel McCaslin, daughter of Oliver and ____ McCaslin, who was born at Westbrook in 1770, died in 1847.
1. Oliver, whose sketch follows.
2. Lot, b. July 20, 1797.
3. Lydia, b. Feb. 25, ___.
4. Ann, b. Windham, Oct. 23, 1800.
5. Daniel, Lewiston, Sept. 1, 1803, died Sept. 8, 1804.
6. Daniel, Lewiston, b. Oct. 16, 1805.
7. Louise, b. Jan. 6, 1808, married James Maxwell.
8. Elizabeth, b. Feb. 18, 1812, in Bowdoin.
(IX) Oliver, eldest child of Thomas and Rachel (McCaslin) Conant, was born at Falmouth, Maine, Feb. 20, 1796. At the age of seventeen he was a soldier in the war of 1812. Most of his life was spent in Topsham, where he was interested in the lumber industry, which he continued till his death, which occurred at Durahm, Maine, June 11, 1867.
On Dec. 10, 1819, Oliver Conant married Abigail Field, daughter of Samuel and Anna (Nock) Field.
Children (b. at Topsham, Maine):
1. Sarah W., b. Sept. 19, 1820, married William Bridge, of Mechanic Falls.
2. Lot C., b. Oct. 25, 1822, married Priscilla Harmon.
3. Mark P., b. Oct. 19, 1824.
4. Samuel Field, b. Oct. 5, 1827.
5. James McKeen, b. Feb. 25, 1830.
6. Philena F., b. Aug. 10, 1832, died Jan. 20, 1833.
7. Anna M., b. July 3, 1834, married Henry Penny.
8. Francis A., whose sketch follows.
9. Charles Bean, b. Oct. 15, 1839.
10. Hannah R., b. May 3, 1842, married George Stevens.
11. Mary E., b. Jan. 8, 1846, died March 2, 1875.
(X) Francis A., fifth son of Oliver and Abigail (Field) Conant, was born at Topsham, Maine, April 7, 1837, and was educated in the common schools of his native town. At the age of twenty-five he enlisted in the civil war, being mustered into Company A, Twenty-third Maine Volunteers, Sept. 29, 1862. After his return in 1864 he engaged in the shoe business, in which he continued nearly twenty years. In 1883 he entered into the insurance business at Lewiston, which under his excellent management has steaily increased in volume and prosperity. He is a man of high business integrity, who commands the respect and esteem of all.
Mr. Conant is a member of Rabboni Lodge, A.F. and A.M.; of the Manufacturers and Mechanics Lodge, I.O.O.F., No. 63; of Industry Lodge, Knights of Pythias, No. 2; and of Custer Post, G.A.R., No. 7.
Politically Mr. Conant is a firm believer in Socialistic principles, and in religion he is a Free Baptist.
On Nov. 12, 1864, Francis A. Conant married (first) Anna Barker, daughter of Caleb and Statira (Hight) Barker, who was born July 22, 1838, at Athens, died Jan. 3, 1903.
1. Edgar Francis, b. June 26, 1867.
2. Maude L., died in infancy.
3. Alice B., b. Feb. 18, 1878.
On Jan. 12, 1905, Francis A. Conant married (second) Annie B. (Elliott) Goodwin, daughter of David N. Elliott, of Mercer, Maine.
(XI) Edgar Francis, eldest child of Francs A. and Anna (Barker) Conant, was born June 26, 1867. He was educated in the schools of Lewiston, studied at Bowdoin College and took a medical degree at Columbia University, Washington, D.C. After graduating from the latter institution Dr. Conant engaged in general practice in Lewiston for five years, after which he spent twelve months in Austria, taking up the study of the eye, ear, nose and throat. Upon his return to this country he made his abode in Denver, Colorado, where he is enjoying an extensive practice as a specialist.
On Sept. __, 1899, Dr. Edgar Francis Conant married Rose Little, daughter of Horace C. and Rose (Roak) Little, of Auburn, Maine.
1. Frances, born April 9, 1903.
2. Edward, born March 6, 1907.
(XI) Alice B., only surviving daughter of Francis A. and Anna (Barker) Conant, was married Jan. 1905, to Selden T. Crafts, of Auburn, Maine. They have one child, Elizabeth Anna, b. July 13, 1906.
(For early generations see preceding sketch.)
(V) John (2), second son of Lot and Elizabeth (Walton) Conant, was born Dec. 15, 1652, in Beverly. He was a farmer and weaver. He settled in Beverly on the "60 acres of upland lying near Richard Dodge's farme," given by Roger to Lot, his father, in 1666, and built a house there. During King Philip's war he served in Captain Samuel Appleton's company, and on Dec. 10, 1675, 4pounds 16s 10d is allowed him as wages. It is not probable that he took part in the attack on the Narragansett fort, as the men under Appleton were mostly employed in garrison duty at Hadley and Springfield.
He was admitted to the First Church of Beverly, Aig. 23, 1691. In 1692 he purchased part of the farm of his brother Nathaniel, who had moved to Bridgewater. Sept. 6, 1715, John Conant, of Beverly, yeoman, in consideration of 197 pounds, sells John Chipman, of Beverly, one messuage or tenement containing twelve acres.
He died Sept. 30, 1724, leaving a will dated Sept. 21, 1724, and probated Oct. 26, 1724.
John Conant married, May 7, 1678, Bethiah Mansfield, born April 7, 1658, admitted to the First Church of Beverly Nov. 6, 1681; and died July 27, 1720. She was the daughter of Andrew and Bethiah Mansfield, of Lynn.
Lot, Elizabeth, Bethiah, John, Deborah, Mary, Daniel, Rebecca, Benjamin and Jemima.
(VI) Daniel, seventh child and third son of John (2) and Bethiah (Mansfield) Conant, was born in Beverly, Nov. 19, 1694, and died in 1751. He was a farmer and a mason, and lived in Beverly on Dodge street. At the time of his father's death he and his brother Benjamin seem to have occupied a house near their father's. Daniel Conant bought, June 29, 1717, fourteen acres of land in Beverly; and Oct. 1, 1719, for 170 pounds, a lot of land containing twelve acres, with a dwelling house, barn and orchard. May 17, 1730, Daniel Conant, mason, of Beverly, buys six and one-half acres of land of Daniel Raymond. April 12, 1750, Daniel Conant, senior, of Beverly, sells Daniel Conant, Jr., "one third of a grist mill on Elwive brook."
He was representative from Beverly to the general court two years. He died intastate, and his sons Daniel and Nathaniel were appointed administrators, May 13, 1751. He left a good estate.
The intentions of marriage of Daniel Conant, of Beverly, and Lucy Dodge, of Ipswich, was published Dec. 16, 1716, at Beverly. They were married by the Rev. Samuel Wigglesworth, at Hamilton, Jan. 23, 1717. She was the daughter of Richard and Martha (Low) Dodge. Richard DODGE was born in Salem, 1643, married Mary Eaton, and died about 1734. He was the son of Richard Dodge, the immigrant, who died at Beverly, Jan. 15, 1672, and Edith, his wife, who died Jan. 27, 1678.
Lucy, Daniel, Mary, Margaret, Nathaniel, Hepzibah, Josiah, Elizabeth and Martha.
(VII) Nathaniel, fifth child and second son of Daniel and Lucy (Dodge) Conant, was born in Beverly July 23, 1726, and baptized on the 31st of the same month. On May 13, 1751, he was appointed one of the administrators of his father's estate. Between 1753 and 1768 Nathaniel Conant frequently appears as a grantor or grantee in land transfers and in those he is sometimes syled tanner, sometimes gentleman. Nov. 22, 1755, the name of Nathaniel Conant appears in a list of soldiers stationed at Lake George; this was in the time of the French and Indian war. About 1766, probably, he went to the province of Maine, where he became one of the pioneer settlers of the North Parish of Sanford, in York county, now Alfred. Very likely his family remained in Beverly until he had cleared land and built a home in Alfred. He purchased land freely, and soon became the largest land owner in the town. He lived in a wooden house near the mill, which he purchased of one Ellenwood. This mill was situated on the stream running from Shaker pond, and was both a saw and grist mill. Mr. Conant was also the first trader of Alfred. The town of Sanford was divided into two parishes July 5, 1782; the first meeting of the North or Alfred parish was held on Tuesday, Aug. 27, 1782, at the house of Nathaniel Conant, who, with eight others, signed the covenant. "Sanford North Parish, Sept. 29, 1783, voted to postpone erecting a meeting-house till next spring. Mr. Nathaniel Conant then and there gave an acre of land to set the meeting-house and school house."
"May 29, 1788, Chose Mr. Nathaniel Conant, Dan'l Gile, and Thomas Williams a committee to Look out a man To preach amongst us in order for a settlement." "Apr. 2, 1792, at a sale of the pews Mr. Nath'l Conant bought No. 2 for 4 pounds. No. 5 for 4 pounds and No. 18, for 4 pounds 25h."
He died Jan. 6, 1808, and was buried in the churchyard at Alfred, where his gravestone remains.
He married, Dec. 16, 1756, Abigail, daughter of Joshua and Hannah (Raymond) Dodge, born in Beverly July 3, 1732. She died in Alfred, Sept 30, 1813.
Joshua DODGE was son of Joshua and Joanna (Larkin) Dodge, and grandson of William and Mary (Conant) Dodge. Hannah Raymond was daughter of George and Jerusha (Woodbury) Raymond, and granddaughter of William and Hannah (Bishop) Raymond. Jerusha Woodbury was daughter of Peter and Sarah (Dodge) Woodbury, and granddaughter of John Woodbury, the immigrant.
Children of Nathaniel & Abigail (Dodge) Conant:
Lucy, Hephzibah, Nathaniel (died young), Joshua, Nathaniel, Daniel, John and Andrew.
(VIII) John (3), seventh child and fifth son of Nathaniel and Abigail (Dodge) Conant, was born in Alfred, Maine, Sept. 10, 1771, and died there Feb. 27, 1850. About 1795 he moved to Kennebunk, where he engaged in trade for a short time, then returned to Alfred. He succeeded to the mill and store of his father, at Conant's Mills (now called Littlefield Mills), and afterwards occupied the brick store near the metting house. He was the second postmaster of Alfred, and active and enterprising in commercial pursuits.
He married Lydia Farnum, born Dec. 25, 1776, died May 28, 1842, daughter of Benjamin and Anna (Merrill) Farnum, of Concord, N. H. Benjamin FARNUM was the son of Ephraim and Molly (Ingalls) Farnum, grandson of Ephraim, son of Ralph, who was son of Ralph Farnum (or Farnham), the immigrant. Anna MERRILL was born at Concord, Dec. 20, 1743, daughter of Deacon John and Lydia (Haynes) Merrill, of Haverhill, Mass., and Concord, N. H.; her grandfather John Merrill, was son of Nathaniel and grandson of Nathaniel Merrill, the immigrant, one of the earliest settlers of Newbury, Mass. Molly INGALLS was the daughter of Henry and Abigail (Emery) Ingalls, granddaughter of Henry and Mary (Osgood) Ingalls, great-granddaughter of Edmund Ingalls, of Andover, the immigrant.
Lydia, wife of John Conant, was admitted to the church about the first of Oct., 1807.
Nancy Merrill, Cyrus (died young), Alvah, Cyrus King, Lucinda, Caroline, George Dow, Lucy Maria, and Lydia Haynes.
(IX) Alvah, third child and second son of John (3) and Lydia (Farnum) Conant, was born in Kennebunk Dec. 17, 1800, baptized Jan. 24, 1808, in Alfred, and died at his residence on Gray street, Portland, April 2, 1876. He was taken to Alfred by his parents when quite young. He attended the common schools of Alfred, and Wakefield, N. H., and Fryeburg, Maine, academies. He then engaged as a clerk with George and Ivory Lord, at Kennebunk, but soon returned to Alfred and went into business with his father; this was as early as 1826. His father retired from business soon after, and Mr. Conant formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, David Hall, and later with his brother George D. In the autumn of 1838 he moved to Portland, and engaged in the wholesale grocry business with Mr. Hall, under the firm name of Hall & Conant. In 1849 his son, Richard O., was admitted to the firm, the style of which was changed to Hall, Conant & Company. Their store was at first on the northeast corner of Fore and Central (now Dana) streets, but when Commercial street was buit in 1851 they moved to the store since occupied by the firm. In 1856 Mr. Conant's son, Richard O., bought out Mr. Hall, and has continued the business to the present time.
When he first moved to Portland he lived with his father-in-law, Richard Odell, on India street, thence, in 1845, to Gray street, where he resided till his death. Mr. Conant never sought public office, but in the old militia days he was commissioned captain in the second brigade of state militia by Governor Parris, in 1822; in 1842 and 1844 he was a member of the common council of Portland, and in 1849 and 1850 was a member of the board of aldermen from the sixth ward. In 1859 he retired from business and devoted his time to the management of his private affairs He was a director of the Cumberland National Bank for many years, and its president at the time of his death. He was also one of the first board of directors of the York and Cumberland railroad. he bore a character of strict integrity, was a consistent Christian, and a member of the State Street Congregational church. In person he was of about the medium height, rather sparely built, and very erect.
He married (first) in Conway, N. H., Oct. 30, 1826, Almira, of Conway, born in Conway April 8, 1803, died in Portland Jan. 23, 1841, daughter of Hon. Richard and Molly (Eastman) Odell. Richard ODELL was frequently representative from Conway to the New Hampshire legislature and a member of the governor's council. He moved to Portland in 1837, where he died in 1850. He was a son of Joseph and Sarah (Ingalls) Odell; grandson of William and Martha (Collins) Odell, of Andover, Mass.; great-grandson of Reginald and Priscilla Odell (also written Wodell and Wodhull) of Boston. Molly EASTMAN was daughter of Richard and Hannah (Merrill) Eastman, granddaughter of John and Martha (Fitts) Eastman, great-granddaughter of John and Huldah (Kingsbury) Eastman, great-great-granddaughter of John and Mary (Boynton) Eastman; and one generation further removed in line of descent from Roger and Sarah Eastman, of Salisbury, Mass.
Mr. Conant married (second) April 27, 1843, Judith, born Oct. 21, 1804, daughter of Joseph Osborn of Danvers, Mass. She died Feb. 3, 1857.
He married (third) in Portland, July 8, 1858, Rebecca P., born Feb. 29, 1815, died Jan. 17, 1863, daughter of Samuel Cook, of Taunton, Mass.
Married (fourth) in Manchester, Connecticut, Sept. 5, 1866, Mary (Sumner) Woodbridge, who survived him and died in Portland; she was the daughter of Reuben Sumner, of Hebron, Conn., born Sept. 20, 1816, died March 20, 1883.
Children of Alvah and Almira (Odell) Conant:
Richard Odell Conant.
Emma Dow Conant.
(X) Richard Odell, only son of Alvah and Almira (Odell) Conant, was born in Alfred, Maine, April l, 1828, died at his residence in Cumberland, Maine, July 1, 1894. He removed to Portland with his parents in 1829, and resided in Portland and Cumberland. He was educated in the public schools and at North Yarmouth Academy. When sixteen years of age he entered his father's store as a clerk, and in 1849 was admitted to the firm of Hall & Conant, then doing the largest grocery business in Portland. In 1856 he bought out Mr. Hall, and in 1859 his father retired from the business. In 1862 he admitted Mr. Sumner C. Rand to partnership, under the firm name of R. O. Conant & Company; in 1866 the style was changed to Conant & Rand. The business was conducted by them till 1882, when Mr. Rand retired and Mr. Conant admitted his son, Frederick O., and Mr. Daniel H. Patrick to the firm under the style of Conant, Patrick & Company.
Mr. Conant was a member of the common council of Portland in 1860 and 1870, which was the only public office he ever held. He was a director of the Ocean Insurance Company for ten years, and its secretary three years; was a director of the Portland & Rochester railroad two years. He was a director of the National Traders Bank from 1867 till his death, and its vice-president fourteen years; and was director and trustee of several other commercial corporations. He always took a great interest in agricultural matters, and was a director and president of the Cumberland County Agricultural Society and the Maine Poultry Association.
He married, in Cumberland, Jan. 8, 1857, Mrs. Emma (Loring) Manly, born May 6, 1829, died April 16, 1904, widow of Charles Manly, and daughter of Captain Solomon and Alethea (Drinkwater) Loring. Captain Solomon LORING was son of Solomon and Hannah (Davis) Loring, grandson of Solomon and Alice (Cushing) Loring, and great-grandson of John Loring, who was the son of John, son of Thomas Loring, who came from Axminster, Devon, England, to Hingham, Mass. about 1630. Hannah DAVIS was daughter of Timothy and Margaret (Davis) Davis, of Amesbury, Mass., and Biddeford, and North Yarmouth, Maine. Timothy Davis was son of Thomas and Deborah (Martin) Davis. Deborah MARTIN was granddaughter of George Martin, an early and prominent settler of Amesbury, whose widow, Susanna (North) was hanged at Salem, July 19, 1692, as a witch. Alathea DRINKWATER was daughter of Sylvanus and Rachel (Sweetser) Drinkwater, granddaughter of Joseph and Jane (Latham) Drinkwater, great-granddaughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Haskell) Drinkwater. Elizabeth HASKELL was daughter of John Haskell, whose wife, Patience Soule, was daughter of George Soule, who came in the "Mayflower," 1630. Jane LATHAM was daughter of Thomas and Deborah (Harden) Latham, granddaughter of James Latham, great-granddaughter of Robert Latham, whose wife Susanna was daughter of John Winslow (brother of Governor Edward Winslow) and Mary (Chilton), his wife, said to hve been the first woman to land from the "Mayflower." Robert O. and Emma (Loring) Conant had one son:
Frederick O. Conant.
(XI) Frederick Odell, only child of Richard Odell and Emma (Loring) Conant, was born in Portland, Oct. 1, 1857. He was prepared for college in the public schools of Portland, and graduated at Bowdoin College, taking the degree of B.S. in 1880, and that of M.A. in 1883. In 1874 he went to California by way of Panama, stopping at Kingston, Jamaica, and various Mexican and Central American ports, and returning overland from San Francisco. In 1879 he went to Cuba, visited the important cities, and returned home by way of Key West, Cedar Keys, Jacksonville, Florida, Savannah, Georgia, Charlestown, South Carolina, and Washington, D.C.
In 1880 he entered his father's store as a clerk, and Jan. 1, 1882, was admitted to partnership. He is a member of Casco Lodge, No. 36, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and of Cumberland Chapter, No. 35, of Yarmouth, and of Portland Commandery, No. 2, Knights Templar. He compiled "A History and Genealogy of the Conant Family in England and America," a work of six hundred and forty pages. He was elected president of the Maine Genealogical Society in 1904, and has since filled that office. He has also served in all the other offices of this society except that of librarian.
He married, in Yarmouth, Oct. 31, 1883, Eva Merrill, daughter of Captain Reuben and Hannah Elizabeth (Blanchard) Merrill, of Yarmouth. Reuben MERRILL was son of William and Lydia (Sturdevant) Merrill, grandson of Adams and Elizabeth (Titcomb) Merrill, great-grandson of James and Mary (Adams) Merrill, who were early settlers of Falmouth. James Merrill was son of Abel, who was son of Nataniel Merrill, of Newbury, Mass., the immigrant. Hannah Elizabeth Blanchard was daughter of Captain Reuben and Christiana (Loring) BLANCHARD, granddaughter of Beza and Prudence (Rideout) Blanchard, great-granddaughter of Nathaniel and Bethiah (Mitchell) Blanchard. Nathaniel Blanchard was fifth in descent from Thomas Blanchard, the immigrant; his wife, Bethiah Mitchell, was daughter of Seth MITCHELL, son of Jacob and Rebecca (Cushman) Mitchell. Jacob Mitchell was grandson of Experience Mitchell, one of the Leyden Pilgrims, whose wife Jane was daughter of Francis Cook, who came in the "Mayflower." Rebecca (Cushman) Mitchell was daughter of Rev. Isaac CUSHMAN, son of Thomas and Mary (Allerton) Cushman, grandson of Robert Cushman. Robert Cushman was one of the most active promoters of the migration from Holland, in 1620, and came over in the "Fortune," the second vessel. His son Thomas married Mary, daughter of Isaac Allerton; she died 1669, the last survivor of the "Mayflower" passengers.
Children of Frederick O. and Eva (Merrill) Conant:
1. Elizabeth Merrill, born Jan. 11, 1886.
2. Persis Loring, b. May 29, 1887.
3. Richard Odell, b. May 31, 1888.
4. Reginald Odell, b. Oct. 1, 1889.
(For preceding generations see John Conant I.)
(VI) Lot (2), eldest child of John (2) and Bethiah (Mansfield) Conant, was born in Beverly, June 1, 1679, died Sept. 20, 1767. About 1716 he removed to Concord, Middlesex county. Lot Conant, of Bevely, bought acres of land in Manchester, Feb. 4, 1717, Lot Conant of Concord, yeoman sells "to my father John Conant and brother Daniel Conant, both of Beverly "fifteen acres of land in Manchester. Other land transactions of his are on record.
He married (first) May 15, 1698, Martha Cleaves. She was admitted to the First Church of Beverly, May 31, 1701, and died Feb. 15, 1725, in Concord. He married (second) Susannah Clark, born April 29, 1689, probably daughter of Samuel and Rachel Clark. He married (third) Mary.
Children (by 1st wife):
Robert, Andrew, William, Dinah, Ezra, John, Elizabeth, Martha and Bethia.
Children (by 2d wife):
Ezra and Sarah.
(VIII) Robert, eldest son of Lot and Martha (Cleaves) Conant, was born in Beverly, April 26, and baptized May 7, 1699. He moved to Concord with his parents, and as early as 1726 settled in Chelmsford. About 1754 he removed to Stow, where he died March 27, 1773. He was a farmer and carpenter. His will was made March 25, 1773.
He married (first) Esther ____, and (second) Sarah ____.
Children by 1st wife:
Samuel, Josiah, Peter, Esther, Martha, Rebecca, Lydia and Daniel.
(VIII) Samuel, eldest child of Robert and Esther Conant, was born in that part of Concord now Acton, about 1722, and died in Stow, May 19, 1785. He lived in Chelmsford and Stow with his parents, and later settled in Stow, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits.
He married Sarah Holman, who died Feb. 1, 1804.
Silas, Oliver, Samuel, John Levi and a daughter.
(IX) Oliver, second son of Samuel and Sarah (Holman) Conant, was born in Stow about 1750. He settled first in Sudbury, and later in Weston. In 1777 Oliver Conant, of Sudbury, was in Captain Johnson Rice's company of Colonel Samuel Bullard's regiment, in the Continental army, in service three months twenty four days in New York. Jan. 15, 1776, Oliver Conant, of Concord, was corporal in Captain David Wheeler's company, Colonel Nixon's regiment, and was allowed pay for travel to and from camp at Winter Hill.
He married Thankful W. Walker.
Abraham, Polly, Isaac, Thankful, Oliver, Sally, Louisa, Asa W., Josiah and Betsy.
(X) Abraham, eldest child of Oliver and Thankful W. (Walker) Conant, was born in Weston, Mass., Sept. 2, 1778, and died in 1849. He moved to Frankfort, now Winterport, Maine, about 1804, and was engaged in farming.
In 1803 he married Thankful C. Lombard, of Truro, Mass., who died about 1860.
Lydia, Isaac, Amasa S., Jacob, Charles, Sarah (died young), Sarah Snow, Abraham, Thankful L. and Artemus Henry.
(XI) Charles, fifth child and fourth son of Abraham and Thankful C. (Lombard) Conant, was born in Frankfort, now Winterport, Maine, Dec. 24, 1812. He spent his life in his native town, where he was engaged in farming. He filled some town offices. He was a member of the Congregational church in early life, but subsequently became a spiritualist.
He married Hannah Weston, Sept. 25, 1814, and died in Frankfort, now Winterport, Maine, Sept. 12, 1897. She was the daughter of Amos and Mercy Weston, of Frankfort, now Winterport.
1. Lydia W., born Oct. 6, 1838, married Nathan T. Woodman Oct. 8, 1866; no chldren.
2. Wealtha P., b. August, 1840, died Feb. 21, 1863.
3. Artemus Henry, b. Dec. 5, 1842, married Maria S. McDonald Dec. 5, 1863; their only child, Fred P., died in childhood.
4. Frederick Augustus, b. March 29, 1845, married Minnie Heslef, of San Francisco Oct. 7, 1874; Their children were: Charles M., Katherine and Miriam.
5. Clara D., b. Sept. 20, 1848, married George H. Clements Feb. 24, 1870; children: Nathan P., Fred A. (died young), Charles C., Lillie W., Elmer H. and Harold W.
6. Ellen Maria, b. Aug. 1, 1852, died April 4, 1853.
7. Charles M., of the next paragraph.
(XII) Charles Melvin, seventh child and third son of Charles and Hannah (Weston) Conant, was born in Winterport, June 23, 1858, and was educated in the public schools of his native town. He was a farmer until 1883, and then established an agricultural implement and seed store in Bangor. The business was remarkably successful, and in 1906 it was incorporated as the C. M. Conant Company, Mr. Conant being made president and treasurer. The company carries a full line of everything in the way of implements required on a farm. The store is located at 194-196 Broad street; was established over a quarter of a century ago, and the products of the house are known to the farmers and general mrchandise dealers of the state for their reliability and high quality.
Mr. Conant still cultivates and resides on his farm of two hundred and fifty acres in Winterport. He is a member of Penobscot Lodge, No. 7, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Bangor, and of Morning Light Grange, No. 19, Patrons of Husbandry.
He is a Republican and has held town offices.
He married, May 1, 1886, Annie C. Nealey, born in Winterport Oct. 24, 1865, daughter of Jefferson and Lydia A. Nealey, of Winterport.
1. Gertrude M., born Aug. 1, 1888.
2. Viola E., b. July 11, 1890.
3. Barbara O., b. Sept. 9, 1895.
4. Amos N., b. July 27, 1897.
5. Edna, b. Jan. 18, 1900.
6. Charles Tyler, b. April 10, 1902.
7. Mildreld A., b. Nov. 22, 1907.
(For preceding generations see John Conant I)
(VIII) Joshua, fourth child and second son of Nathaniel and Abigail (Dodge) Conant, was born in Beverly, April 7, 1764. He moved to Alfred, Maine, with his parents, and later lived in Shapleigh and Lyman, where he died Oct. 4, 1842.
He married Adelia Gile, of Alfred, who died in Lyman, Sept. 30, 1842. She was the daughter of Deacon Gile of Alfred.
Ruth, Nathaniel, Hepsibah, Theodate, Joshua, Daniel, Abigail, William Green and Thomas Gile.
(IX) William Green, eighth child and fourth son of Joshua and Adelia (Gile) Conant, was born in Alfred, Dec. 25, 1806, where he always resided. He was educated in the public schools, and while yet a boy became a clerk in Deacon Kendall's store at Alfred, and after a few years went into business for himself. He was a merchant for upwards of forty years, and on retiring some years before his death he was possessed of a competency including a farm upon which he lived after giving up business.
He was a member of the Congregational church. He died April, 1888, and was buried in Evergreen cemetery, Portland.
He married Hannah Jones Herrick, of Beverly, Mass.
William H., see forward.
(X) William Henry, only child of William Green and Hannah J. (Herrick) Conant, was born in Alfred, May 20, 1830, and educated in the public schools. He was a clerk in his father's store for some time and later went to Portland, where for some years he was a clerk in the office of the Portland Press. In 1875 he was made treasurer of the Portland and Rochester railroad and served in that place faithfully for twenty-five years.
He was an attendant of the Congregational church, and did many acts of charity in a quiet way. In political matters he took but little interest.
He married, in Middletown, Connecticut, Dec. 12, 1856, Mary Elizabeth Davis, who was born in Wenham, Mass. May 2, 1830, daughter of John and Elizabeth Cogswell (Bickford) Davis, the former of Salem, Mass., and the latter a daughter of Capt. John Bickford, a master mariner. Captain Bickford's wife was in maidenhood Mary Ramsden.
Mrs. Conant resides in Portland, where she has a handsome and finely furnished residence. She also owns and uses as a summer home the residence erected in Alfred years ago by Senator John Holmes. This house was occupied some years by Mr. and Mrs. Conant before removing to Portland. It is furnished with much antique furniture, and the interior has much the appearance of a high class residence of Colonial times.
1. Emma L., who resides with her mother.
2. Willie Green, who died at the age of fourteen.
3. Ellen Minerva, who lived to be almost twenty years of age.
Mr. Conant died Feb. 11, 1901, and is buried at Evergreen cemetery, Portland, Maine.
This name is of Norman origin, and first appears on the Battle Roll of William the Conqueror, where it is spelled Louel; when the family emigrated to America, and for two generations thereafter, they spelled it Lowle, and it is the same as Lovell and Lowell. The word is derived from the Latin Lupus, meaning wolf. The family were of good postion in England, and had a coat-of-arms, as well as other evidences of their high position.
(I) Percival Lowell, the emigrant, was born in 1571, in England, and died Jan. 8, 1664, at Newbury, Mass. He was a resident in England of Kingston, Seymour, Clevedon, Portbury, Weston-in-Gardano, all of Somersershire, also Bristol of Gloucestershire, and in 1597 was assessor at Kingston. He did not come to America until he was sixty-eight years of age, embarking from Bristol in 1639 on the ship "Jonathan," and settling at Newbury, Mass.
He was a man of unusual attainments for his day, and wrote a poem on the death of Governor Winthrop, which would not meet the standards of the present day, but shows the spark of genius which appeared later in his descendant, James Russell Lowell, and proves its author to have been well versed in ancient literature. The Lowell family came to Newbury later than some others, and had no grant at that time; being men of wealth, they purchased land at first, but later shared in a division of land made by the town.
Percival Lowell married, in England, Rebecca, who died Dec. 28, 1645, at Newbury.
John, Richard and Joan.
(II) John, the older son of Percival and Rebecca Lowell, was born in 1595, in England, and died at Newbury, Mass. in 1647. He camt to New England at the same time as his father, bringing his wife and four children. He was a man of influence in the community, and had a very good education for the time. In 1640 he was made a freeman, and he served as constable, as deputy to the general court and as town clerk. When he was twenty-four years of age he apprenticed himself, in England, to Richard Baugh, of Bristol, a "glover.:
He married, in England, his first wife, Margaret, who died shortly after her arrival in New England, soon after the birth of her fifth child. He married (secon) in 1639, at Newbury, Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Taylor) Goodale, who was born in Yarmouth, Norfolk county, England, and died in 1651, at Newbury.
Children of 1st wife:
1. John, born 1629, in England, died 1694, at Boston, Mass; married Hannah Proctor, sister of Abigial, who married his brother Joseph.
2. Mary, b. 1633, in England, married Thomas Wyburn.
3. Peter, b. 1635, in England.
4. James, b. 1637, in England.
5. Joseph, b. Nov. 28, 1639, at Newbury, Mass.
Children of 2d wife:
6. Benjamin, b. Sept. 12, 1642, Newbury, Mass.; married Ruth Woodman.
7. Thomas, b. June 4, 1644.
8. Elizabeth, b. Feb. 16, 1646, married Capt. Philip Nelson.
(III) Joseph, son of John and Margaret Lowell, was born Nov. 28, 1639, at Newbury, and died Aug. 19, 1705, at Boston, Mass. He removed to Boston with his brother John previous to 1661 and was a cooper.
He married March 8, 1660, Abigail, daughter of George P. and Edith Proctor, of Dorchester, born in 1635, died June 27, 1707.
1. Joseph, born Aug. 1, 1661, at Boston, died young.
2. Hannah, b. Jan. 31, 1662-63.
4. Abigail, b. Feb. 4, 1667, died young.
5. James, b. March 27, 1668, married Elizabeth Gusten.
6. Abigail, b. March 9, 1671.
7. Sameul, b. July 13, 1678.
8. Benjamin, b. Nov. 5, 1679.
(IV) Joseph (2), second son of Joseph (1) and Abigail (Proctor) Lowell, was called a "mariner." About 1726 he removed to Hampton, New Hampshire. Joseph and his brother James were members of "Ye Second Foot Company," of Newbury, Mass., under command of Captain Hugh March.
He married (first) Patience ____, who died Jan. 3, 1714. He married (second) March 9, 1720, Sarah, daughter of Deacon James Prescott Jr., by his wife Maria, dau. of William and Rebecca (Page) Marston. Sarah Prescott was born Jan. 20, 1701, died June 12, 1746.
Children by 1st wife:
1. Joseph Jr., born Jan. 3, 1696, died July 10, 1697.
2. Abigail, who died Aug. 26, 1703, at Boston.
Children of 2d wife:
3. Jeremiah, born April 15, 1722, at Hampton, N. H.
4. David, b. Nov. 19, 1723, married Abigail Perkins.
6. Lucy, b. 1727, died April 21, 1711; [trans note: this has to be a typo. Maybe she d. in 1811??] married Deacon Abner Sanborn Jr.
7. Mary, baptized May 10, 1730.
(V) James, son of Joseph (2) and Sarah (Prescott) Lowell, was born Oct. 12 or 22, 1725, and died about 1830. In 1747 he took part in the campaign against Louisburg, served twenty-nine days as private in the continental army, in Captain David Quimby's company, Colonel Joseph Gale's regiment, in the Rhode Island campaign, and in 1756 took part as soldier in the siege at Crown Point, N. Y.
He married, in 1747, Mary Clark, of Falmouth, Maine.
Oliver, Sarah, Mary and Joseph.
(VI) Sarah, the elder daughter of James and Mary (Clark) Lowell, was born Aug. 22, 1750, and died at Seabrook, N. H., Dec. 29, 1824. She married John Brown, of Seabrook, N. H.