Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The large number bearing this name among the pioneer settlers of New England have left a very numerous progeny. The frequent recurrence of the same christian names has rendered it extremely difficult to trace the descent of many. [trans note: tell me about it!] Happily the line herin covered is fairly complete and includes some prominent natives of Maine who have earned distinction by their own merit and ability.
(I) John Brown, born in England in 1588-89, came to Massachusetts as early as 1635, and settled permanently at Hampton, in what is now New Hampshire, in 1639. He was granted a house lot of four acres, but soon after purchased ten acres from John Sanders, upon which he took up his residence. This property continued in the hand of his lineal descendants through seven generations. He must have been a man of much industry, for he made several additions to this tract by purchase, and also acquired other tracts in various parts of the town. He died Feb. 28, 1687. The records show that his wife's christian name was Sarah.
Sarah, John, Benjamin, Elizabeth, Jacob, Mary, Thomas and Stephen.
(II) Benjamin, second son and third child of John and Sarah Brown, was born about 1647, in Hampton, and was a farmer residing in the southeastern part of the town, in what is now Seabrook, on land received from his father.
He was married in 1679 to Sarah Brown, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Murford) Brown, prioneer settlers of Salisbury, Mass. She was born April 12, 1658, in Salisbury.
William, Sarah, Benjamin, Elizabeth, John, Jacob, Stephen, Mary, Thomas and Jeremiah.
(III) Thomas, ninth child and sixth son of Benjamin and Sarah (Brown) Brown, was born May 21, 1699, in Hampton, and resided in that part of the town now Seabrook, where he died in Nov., 1765.
He was married May 2, 1729, to Mehitable, daughter of Joseph and Mehitable (Hobbs) Towle, of Hamton.
Joseph, Benjamin, Thomas and John.
(IV) John (2), son of Thomas and Mehitable (Towle) Brown, was born Jan. 3, 1747, at Seabrook, N. H., and died Aug. 12, 1839. In 1769 he married Sarah, daughter of James and Mary (Clark) Lowell, born Aug. 22, 1750, died Dec. 29, 1824, at Seabrook.
1. Molly, born Dec. 14, 1771, died June 15, 1860.
2. John Jr., b. Dec. 2, 1775, died Aug. 8, 1843.
3. Lowell, b. May 13, 1778, died Aug, 20, 1863.
4. Sarah, b. Sept. 21, 1780, died May 10, 1806.
5. Mehitable, b. July 31, 1783, died Oct. 31, 1849.
6. Betsy, b. Aug. 12, 1786, died May 15, 1865.
7. Nancy, b. April 29, 1789, died March 6, 1843.
8. Benjamin, b. Sept. 25, 1791, died Aug. 5, 1864.
(V) Newell, youngest son of John (2) and Sarah (Lowell) Brown, was born Nov. 17, 1794, and died Feb. 10, 1875. He was a farner and large stockdealer, and lived at his birthplace, Seabrook, N. H.
In 1823 he married Abigial Perkins, daughter of Jonathan LEAVITT, b. in 1794, died in 1880. Jonathan Leavitt was a captin in the revolutionary war, and his son, Hon. B.B. Leavitt, won a distinguished place in political affaris of Maine. The family lived at Eastport, Maine, and were people of education and refinement.
1. John Newell, married Abby Ann Dearborn, and had two children, both of whom are dead.
2. Sarah A., unmarried.
3. Frank, married Nancy Brown and had four children: i. Abby N., married George Pike, of Newburyport, Mass. ii. Ida, married Edward Blood, of Mendon, Mass. iii. John, married May Betchelder and has three children. iv. Ellsworth, married Emma Morrell and had no children.
4. Sylvester, married Martha Clough and has two children: i. Grace, married William Evans and has one daughter, Amy. ii. Lincoln, married Mary Butler, and has one child, Martha.
5. Calvin Smith.
(VI) Hon. Calvin Smith Brown, youngest son of Newell and Abigail P. (Leavitt) Brown, was born Jan. 3, 1837, at Seabrook, N. H., and after attending the public schools of his native town worked on his father's farm, and taught school to secure his further education, wich was largely attained through his own effort. He attended Rockingham Academy at Hampton Falls, N. H., Hampton Academy of the same place, Dearborn Academy of Seabrook, N. H., New Hampshire Conference Seminary at Northfield, N. H., Colby Academy at New London, N. H., and in 1858 entered Dartmouth College, graduating in 1862 with degree A. B. On his graduation he enliseted for three months as private in the Seventh Squadron of the Rhode Island Cavalry, a company raised among the students at Dartmouth College and Norwich University, and with them he participated in the battle of Harper's Ferry in Sept., 1862, also in the battle of Antietam. His term of service ended, he re-enlisted as captain of Company C, of the Seventeenth New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry, where he served until the disbanding of that regiment. Upon the call for three hundred thousand men in 1864, he enlisted as a captain of infantry in the state of Maine, and soon was promoted to the rank of major, subsequently being appointed lieutenant colonel in command of the First Battalion of Maine Infantry Volunteers, where he served until April, 1866.
After the assassination of President Lincoln, he was ordered from the Shenandoah Valley to Washington, and after the "Grand Review" to Georgia and thence to South Carolina, where he commanded Anderson, Abbeville, Greenville, Pickens and Union districts, as sub-commissioner of the Freedman's Bureaw, until his discharge, and while guarding Confederate cotton at Brown's Ferry on the Savannah river, three of his men were killed.
On retiring from the army he resumed the study of law, which he had begun during the war, and in Oct., 1866, was admitted to practice in the courts of Maine, at the Washington county bar. In December of that year he opened an office for the practice of law at St, Louis, Missiouri, remaining there until 1870, then spent nearly two years in mercantile business with the house of Packer, York & Company, Montgomery county, Kansas, after which he spent two years as bookkeeper in the banking house of Eby & Company, Coffeyville, Kansas. In 1873 he represented Montgomery county in the state legislature; in 1876-77-78 he served as mayor of Parker, and in 1878 mayor of Coffeyville, Kansas.
When he came to Washington his first appointment was clerk in the pension office, and after a short service there he took examination for interior department of the land office and received an appointment in the railroad division, which position he now (1908) fills.
Mr. Brown has been a member of the order of Free and Accepted Masons since 1864, when he joined Eastern Loidge, No. 7, of Eastport, Maine. He is Independent in Religion, and a staunch Republican.
He belongs to Lincoln Post, No. 3, Grand Army of the Republic, of Washington, and to the Maine Society of Washington, Mr. Brown is a useful and patriotic citizen, and has served his country in war and in peace the greater part of his life.
He married, Nov. 15, 1871, Caroline Noyes, daughter of Samuel Witherell, of Eastport, Maine, born in 1842.
1. Annie Witherell, b. July 30, 1874, died in infancy.
2. Sarah Witherell, b. Sept. 2, 1877.
3. Edith Lilian, b. March 29, 1881.
The ancestors of this family lived in Brownfield, Oxford county, were probably pioneers there, and the town may have been named for the family.
(I) Asaph Brown, son of Silas and Judith Brown, was born Jan. 7, 1759, in Stowe, Mass., and resided there before the time of his marriage. He was a soldier in the revolutionary war, and in the Mass. Records is credited to the town of Templeton. His record follows:
Asaph Brown, of Templeton, was a private in Captain Ezekiel Knowlton's company, Colonel Dike's regiment; pay abstract for travel allowance from Dorchester home dated Dorchester, Nov. 20, 1776; also pay abstract for gun and blanket money, etc., dated Dorchester, Nov. 30, 1776; also same comany and regiment; service from Dec. 14, 1776, to March 1, 1777; also pay abstract for gun and blanket money dated Dorchester Heights, March 31, 1777.
He settled on a farm in Waterford, Maine, and married Hannah Shaw, born in Waterford Dec. 22, 1763, died in Bethel, Feb. 11, 1841, daughter of Josiah and Mary (Lamprey) Shaw, of Waterford.
Abigail, Robbins, Josiah, Catherine, Asaph, Susan, Nancy and four others who died young.
Josiah SHAW, father of Mary (Shaw) Brown, was a son of Ebenezer and Anna (Philbrick) Shaw, and was born in Hampton, N. H. Jan. 31, 1740, and died Aug. 7, 1810. In 1763 he removed with his family to the township of Pearsontown, now Standish, and bought lot 43. There he settled and kept the first tavern ever opened to the public in that town. He was first town treasurer of that municipality, as well as selectman; he was a cooper and farmer. He married Mary Lamprey, of Hampton, who died Jan. 9, 1826. They had six children: Mary, Hannah (wife of Asaph Brown), Anna, Jonathan, Josiah and Eli.
(II) Robbins Brown, and his brother Josiah Brown, removed from Brownfield and settled in Bethel. Josiah lived in the Chandler neighborhood, and married Mehitable, a daughter of Asa Lovejoy. Robbins Brown, born April 29, 1776, died May 31, 1848, was a tanner and lived on Bethel Hill. He married Hannah, a sister of his brother's wife.
1. David F., born Sept. 28, 1812, married Nancy Richardson.
2. Hannah, born March 10, 1814, died Aug. 17, 1823.
3. Josiah, born June 21, 1815, married Mary A. Stevens, mentioned below.
4. Mehitable, born April 13, 1819, married Eli Grover.
(III) Robbins (2), third son of Robbins (1) and Hannah (Lovejoy) Brown, [trans note: why isn't he on the list above?] was born Oct. 26, 1818, and died Jan. 8, 1879. He and his brother David F. engaged in the tannery business. He was an industrious, respectable citizen, a member of the Congregational church, and in politics a Republican.
He married (first), July 12, 1847, Mary R. Ayer, who died Dec. 21, 1853, leaving no child. He married (second) Feb. 10, 1855, Austina Barker, who was born Nov. 14, 1829, and died May 23, 1882, daughter of Francis and Nancy H. (Ingalls) Barker, of Bethel. She descended from the immigrant as follows: James and Grace of Rowley, Mass.; Nathaniel and Mary; James and Sarah; James and Elizabeth; Jedediah and Sarah; Samuel and Betsey (Roger) Barker, who settled in Bethel in 1803, and had Francis, who married Nancy H. Ingalls, Samuel Barker was a Revolutionary soldier.
Children of Robbins & Ausina (Barker) Brown:
1. Fred Ingalls, born Jan. 2, 1857, lives in Portsmouth, N. H., married Sept. 16, 1880, Agnes Izella Brown.
2. Frank I., mentioned below.
3. William, born Oct. 13, 1863.
(IV) Dr. Frank Irving, second son of Robbins and Ausina (Barker) Brown, was born in Bethel, Oct. 27, 1860. After being schooled in the public schools and Gould's Academy, he entered Bowdoin College, from which he graduated in 1885. He taught school in Norwy, Maine, and in Hopkinton, Mass. He began the study of medicine, and was graduated from the Maine Medical College in 1891. In 1891-92 he was an interne in the Maine General Hospital, and went thence in 1893 to Cape Elizabeth, and settled and engaged in the general practice of his profession, in which he has attained success in South Portland.
He is a member of the Cumberland County Medical Assoc., the Maine Medical Assoc., the Portland Medical Club, and the Athletic Club. In Free Masonry he has attained the thirty-second degree, and is a member of the following organiziations of that order: Hiram Lodgve, No. 180; Greenleaf Royal Arch Chapter; Portland Council, Royal and Select Masters; Portland Commandery, Knights Templar; and Maine Consistory, Sublime Princes of the Royal Secret. He is also a member of Kora Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Mystic Shrine; of Norway Lodge, No. 16, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Lodge Bayard, No. 44, Knights of Pythias.
He worships with the Congregationalists, of which denonination he has always been a member.
Dr. Brown married, in Bethel, Feb. 19, 1896, Edith A. Philbrick, of Bethel, who was born Nov. 27, 1863, daughter of John M. and Paulina (Eames) Philbrick of Bethel.
First child died young.
Dwight Francis, the second child, was born Sept. 3, 1905.
James Brown was the emigrant ancestor of Euthalius Irving Brown, of Portland, Maine. He was born in Scotland about 1720-30. There is a tradition in the family that he was wealthy, having with him a chest of gold. Owing to a storm or shipwreck the gold was lost. Besides the gold it is said that he had twenty fine linen shirts that were also lost on the journey over. He was a tailor by trade.
He married Hannah Blanchard, of Dunstable, Mass., and their descendants have been numerous in the vicinity. Dunstable is now Nashua, New Hampshire. The Blanchards were among the pioneers there. Thomas BLANCHARD, her emigrant ancestor, came to America from the vicinity of Andover, England, in the ship "Jonathan," in 1639. He settled first at Braintree. His son George was with him. He bought of Rev. John Wilson, Feb. 12, 1650-51, house and land in the south part of Malden, Mass. (Pope says he came from Penton, Hants, England).
He married (first) in England. His wife died there. He married (second) Agenes (Bent) Barnes, widow, a sister of John Bent. She died on the passage over. He died May 21, 1654. His will is dated May 16, and was proved June 20, 1654. He made bequests to his wife Mary; to children George, Thomas, Samuel, Nathaniel; to grandson Joseph, and to the church at Malden. He proviced that Benjamin Thompson should be fitted for the University (Harvard) if his parents consent. Benjamin was son of Deacon John Blanchard. Benjamin does not appear in the list of Harvard graduates, however. His estate was administered by his widow, appointed June 3, 1656.
Deacon John BLANCHARD, son of Thomas Blanchard, the emigrant, was one of the pioneers at Dunstable, Mass., now Nashua, N. H. He was admitted a freeman in 1649. He was one of the founders of the Dunstable Church in 1685. Children were: Joseph, Thomas, Hannah (b. Jan. 6, 1659), Benjamin, James, Sarah, Mary, Nathaniel.
Thomas BLANCHARD, son of Deacon John Blanchard, and grandson of Thomas Blanchard, the emigrant, was born about 1670 and must have been a young child when is father went to Dunstable. He married Tabitha ____. She died Nov. 29, 1696. He married (second) Ruth Adams, of Chelmsford, Mass., Oct. 4, 1698. He died March 9, 1727. In the possession of Mrs. Charles E. Wheelock, 8 Cottage street, Worcester, is a deed from Thomas to his son Thomas, dated 1721, of land in Dunstable. Children of Thomas & Tabitha Blanchard were: Abigial, b. May 5, 1694; John, b. May 20, 1696. Children of Thomas and Ruth (Adams) Blanchard were: Thomas (see forward); William born 1701; Ruth, b. April 1, 1703.
Thomas BLANCHARD, son of Thomas Blanchard, and grandson of Deacon John Blanchard, of Dunstable, was born Aug. 12, 1699. He served in the Indian wars and was taken prisoner in Sept., 1724. He was a prominent man in Dunstable, and held various town offices. Mr. Wheelock has the original tax warrant for the year 1738, for the old town of Dunstable, issued to Thomas Blanchard as collector of taxes. It shows the results of his work. It contains a full list of the taxpayers of the town. Joseph Blanchard, son of Capt. Joseph Blanchard, who was uncle of Thomas Blanchard, heads the list.
Hannah BLANCHARD, born about 1740, daughter of Thomas, married James BROWN, the emigrant. He died in 1778. A copy of his will dated Oct. 10, 1778, is owned by Mrs. Wheelock. It is a certified copy made soon after the will was proved in the Nashua court. It should be noted that James Brown, of Dunstable, was a lieutenant in the battle of Bunker Hill, according to the history of Dunstable, and no other James Brown of the right age and description is to be found.
Children of James & Hannah (Blanchard) BROWN:
2. James, settled in Waterford, Ohio (Mrs. Wheelock has a letter written by him in which he mentions the death of his first wife in 1798 and his second marriage).
8. Aaron (see forward).
The will indicates that all but Samuel and Aaron were of age, as it specifies that the others receive their bequests, and the two youngest receive theirs when they become of age.
(II) Aaron, son of James Brown, was born in Dunstable or Nashua, N. H., Nov. 17, 1773. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and his grandson, Euthalius I. Brown, of Portland, has the drum and drum stick he carried as a drummer in the war.
He married, Sept. 5, 1797, Hannah Proctor, daughter of Reuben Proctor, of Merrimac, N. H. She was born July 13, 1778. He lived in Nashua and died April 24, 1844, in Canton, Maine, where he removed about 1815.
He was a charter member of the Livermore Falls (Maine) Lodge of Free Masons, and was a prominent man in the order.
1. James (see forward).
2. Nancy, born at Dunstable, Dec. 28, 1799, married the Rev. ____ Bartlett.
3. Larned Small, born in Dunstable, March 18, 1801.
4. John, born in Wilton, Maine, Dec. 29, 1802, married Huldah Gardner.
5. Reuben Proctor, born in Wilton, Maine, Jan. 28, 1805.
6. Jefferson, born in Wilton, Maine, Sept. 22, 1806.
7. Arthur, born in Wilton, Maine, Oct. 15, 1807.
8. Rebecca Proctor, born in Wilton, Maine, Feb. 5, 1810.
9. Abigail Bigelow, born at Jay, Maine, March 29, 1812.
10, Susannah Carpenter, born in Jay, Maine, July 16, 1815.
11. Hiram, born Feb. 11, 1817, at Jay, now Canton, Maine.
12. Orin, born Oct. 20, 1818, at Jay, now Canton, died in Texas; he was a general in the rebellion, and stood hgh in Masonic circles.
13. Belinda Bartlett, born in Canton, Maine, July 1, 1821.
(III) James (2), son of Aaron Brown, was born in Dunstable, Mass., or Nashua, N. H., Aug. 5, 1798, died April 8, 1881, at Grafton, Maine. When a young man he came to Maine and was a pioneer in the woods of that state, being for many years well known to the woodmen and lubmermen of Maine. He was a man of fine stature, enormous strength and endurance, and thus was well equipped for the lifc of a pioneer. He emigrated into the woods of Oxford county, among the early settlers of Grafton, where he purchased a large tract of timber land. He made the trips on foot and carried on his back part of the supplies necessary to establish his camp. He put the contents of a barrel of flour into two sacks and carried the same together with fifteen pounds of nails through Grafto Notch into the wilderness, where he erected his house and a mill, operating the latter for many years. He also cleared the land and cultivated the same, but the greater portion of his time was devoted to the lumber and timber business, surveying timber lands, making estimates of their footage and quality and determining their value. He was a thorough woodsman, and was recognized as an authority on all matters pertaining to woodcraft. He assisted Samuel Ames and Major Barrett, old time county surveyors, to survey many of the town limits of Oxford county. He experienced all the hardships and perils of pioneer life in the Maine woods, hot only in Oxford county but in many other sections. During his early manhood he made extensive trips into the woods of Canada, on timer hunting expeditions, and met with many wild experiences, as the native lumbermen were very hostile to those coming from the statesm and many a time they had to fight their way and defend themselves as best they could.
He also established a tavern on the old homestead, converting his farmhouse into a typical wayside inn, and the road which passed his house and mill became the favorite route for most of the teamsters from the woods in New Hampshire to the sea port and city of Portland. The main production of the woods was potash, which was hauled to the coast, and the teams upon their return brought run, sugar, molasses and other necessary stores. Mr. Brown resided on the old homestead until his decease.
He was a Democrat in politics, and for two years served in the capacity of county commissioner.
James Brown married (first) Mary Thompson, July 4, 1824; she died April 19, 1833. Married (second) Ruth Swan, Oct. 28, 1838; she died Feb. 4, 1901.
Children of 1st wife:
1. James Monroe, born Nov. 15, 1825, died Sept. 11, 1895; married Eunice E. Frost Nov. 15, 1849; their child, Mrs. Charles E. Wheelock, of Worcester, Mass.
2. Arthur, born Sept. 24, 1827, died Oct. 15, 1857.
3. Ira Bisbee, born April 5, 1829, died March 12, 1831.
4. Ira Bisbee, born June 10, 1831, died July 19, 1851.
5. William Thompson, born Jan. 16, 1833, married Esther H. Swan, June 10, 1859; he died April 28, 1861.
Children of 2d wife:
6. Mary T., born Aug. 22, 1839, married George H. Otis Oct. 10, 1863; children: Frances Lillian, married Fred Decker, of Burlington, N. H.; Arthur Monroe; Jennie M., married Harvey C. Philbrook, of Bethel, Maine; Will Howe.
7. George Miller, born Aug. 16, 1844, marriage Ella M. Briggs, March, 1864; he served as selectman of Grafton, Maine, for many years.
8. Euthalius Irving, born Nov. 14, 1851, see forward.
(IV) Euthalius Irving, second son and third child of James (2) and Ruth (Swan) Brown, was born in Grafton, Maine, Nov. 14, 1851. He attended the schools in the neighborhood of his home, completing his studies at the age of fourteen. Having been reared in the timber regions of his native state, he was familiar with all the mysteries of the woods, which he explored with his father, assisting him to survey and estimagte on large tracts of timber lands, also in supervising a large force of men to secure the timber and haul it out to the stream and thence to market. In this manner he acquired a thorough knowledge of all the branches of the timber business, often meeting with thrilling adventures with bears, panthers and deer while camping for months in the woods, and in due course of time became one of the most expert lumbermen in the country, without doubt having explored more timber lands than any other man in the state of Maine. His explorations covered much of Oxford, Kennebec, Franklin and other counties in Maine, Coos county and many others in New Hampshire, Cape Breton Island, where in 1896 he covered over seven hundred thousand acres of timber land, and one hundred and fifty miles of a chain of lakes in the province of Nova Scotia. In 1876 Mr. Brown purchased stumpage in Grafton, Maine, and sold it in the log in the open market at Umbogog lake and Androscoggin river. In 1886 he went into the Bear and Cambridge river districts of Maine, where he cut much lumber which he floated down the river to market, and in addition to this bought cattle of the farmers and sold them in the markets. He remained on the old home place until 1893, owning the same until a few years ago, and then removed to Rumford Falls where he built a house, being one of the first to build on the opposite side of the river; he resided there about seven years. In 1894 he explored the northern woods for the purpose of discovering timber fit for the use of the Rumford Falls Paper Company's mills, with which he was connected for five years, serving in 1899 in the capacity of general manager. In the same year he purchased thirty-five million feet of timber on the stump on the Dartmouth College grant in N. H., which he cut during the following five years and sold to the Burling Mill Company and the Diamond Match Company. In 1898 he purchased Mount Abram in company with R. L. Melcher, and this they sold to Boston parties, who failed to cut off the timber and thus forfeited their contract, and later the tract was sold to L. L. Mason, of Portland.
For the past six years Mr. Brown has dealt heavily in timber land in Maine and New Hampshire, manufacturing dimension lumber and spool wood at various points in maine. His success in business has been marked, and his profits have been invested to some extent in agricultural lands. He is the owner of the Robinson farm in Sumner - five hundred acres - on which he raises hay, grain and potatoes; a tract of seven hundred acres of timber in Dixfield; a tract of five thousand acres in Oxford county, and for many years was the proprietor of a tavern.
In politics Mr. Brown is independent, casting his vote for the candidate who in his opinion is best qualified for office, irrespective of party affiliation. He is a member of the Blazing Star Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Bethel, and of Mount Abram Lodge, No. 31, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Bethel.
Euthalius I. Brown married, at Norway, Maine, Oct. 13, 1885, Alfreda W. Small, born at Danville, 1854, daughter of John and Mary (Eveleth) Small.
1. Mary Euthalia, married Samuel Annis and they are parents of one child, Alfreda Evangeline Annis.
2. Claude Irving.
Mr. Brown married (second) Elizabeth Margaret Dagneau, born in Lewiston, June 20, 1881, daughter of Edward A. and Lucy (Hunnewell) Dagneau.
Among the many different families by the name of Brown living in this country, few have a longer or better record than the line originating in Concord, Mass., where several generations, most of them including a Thomas Brown, have fulfilled their duties as citizens of that ancient and famous town. One of the modern and most distinguished representatives of the family is Miss Helen Dawes Brown, born at Concord in 1857, graduated from Vassar College in 1878, subsequently a teacher there, and now a noted lecturer in New York City. She is the author of several books, among them, "Two College Girls," "Little Miss Phebe Gay," "The Petrie Estate" and "A Civilian Attache."
(I) Thomas Browne, the ancestor of the following line, was one of the earliest immigrants of the name in the New World. He lived at Concord, Mass., but where he was born or when he died we have no means of knowing. Such information as we have been able to gather has been gleaned, bit by bit, from the scattered references in the town histories and from the vital statistics. The first clue obtainable consists in the reference to the birth of his son, Boaz, whose sketch follows in the next paragraph. From this date we infer that Thomas Browne was born in England about the beginning of the seventeenth century. The historic and famous town of Concord was founded in 1635. As was natural in a primitive settlement, no vital records were kept during the first year or two, but in Sept., 1639, the general court ordered that every birth, marriage and death should be recorded in the jurisdiction, and place on file in Boston. In the office of the city registrar of that metropolis, there is now preserved a register "of the berths & burialls in Concord from the yeare 1639 vntill the first month 1644 according to or account," the same being returned by Simon Willard in 1644. Consulting this ancient volume, we find on the first page: "Boaz the sonne of Thomas Browne was borne the 14 (12) 1641." This entry is the eighth in the book, though several records of 1640 are subsequently given, showing that Mr. Thomas Browne was evidently proud of the birth of his son, and anxious to comply with the new law. There is no further record of the progeny of Thomas Browne in this volume; but in the Middlesex county registers preserved in the office of the clerk of the court of East Cambridge, we fin "Concord Births: Deliuered in, 1650." The thirteenth and fourteenth entires in this volume evidently refer to later children of our Thomas Browne. "Mary the daughter of Tho: and Bridget Browne, the (26) 1 mo: 1645. Eliezer the soone of Tho: and Bridget Browne, the (5) mo. 1649."
Among other records we find that in 1655, Thomas Browne, one of the proprietors of Concord, owned fourteen lots, containing one hundred and eighty-six acres. He was evidently a man of good judgment, for on May 21, 1660, he was one of the committee to decide the boundaries of the thousand acre tract belonging to Major Willard. He took part in the Marragansett campaign in King Philip's war, and in the famous swamp fight, which culminated in the attack on the Indian fort at Kingston, Rhode Island, Dec. 19, 1675. Thomas Browne was one of the eleven men marching from Concord, Mass., and he was one of the two from that town who were wounded. The battle resulted in the loss of eighty white men, and three hundred Indians.
(II) Boaz, eldest child of Thomas and Bridget Browne, was born at Concord, Mass., the fouteenth day of the twelfth month (which probably meant February), 1641. On Nov. 8, 1664, he married Mary Winchat, and among their children was Thomas (2), whose sketch follows.
Boaz Browne must have married a second time, for in book II of the Concord register we find this entry: "mr Boaz Brown husband to Abigal his wife Died April ye 7th: 1724." This record is supplemtned by a statement on the gravestone, saying that he died in his eighty-third year, which establishes his identity with the husband of Mary Winchat. In the assignment of he proprietors' lots Boaz Browne is credited with the ownership of six lots or eighty-six acres.
(III) Thomas (2), son of Boaz and Mary (Winchat) Browne, was born May 12, 1667, at Concord, Mass., and died there May 13, 1739. In the death record he is written as the husband of Rachel, but her maiden name is not given. This Thomas seems the most prominent of the early generations. He must have been a man of education, for he served as town clerk of Concord from 1689 to 1701 and again from 1704 till 1710; and he began book II of Concord registers. On Feb. 11, 1699-1700, he was one of the committee to decide the bounds between Concord and Billerica. He probably saw some military service, for we find that on May 9, 1710, Ensign Thomas (2) Browne was one of the committee to decide about some matters concerned with the burying-ground, probably the ancient one fronting the old meeting-house on the square. In June 24, 1735, Ephraim Browne drew Lot 8 in Marragansett township for his father, Thomas Browne. This land is in what is now the township of Templeton, Mass., and may have been a grant for some military service. Among the other children of Thomas (2) and Rachel Browne was Thomas (3), whose sketch follows.
(IV) Thomas (3), son of Thomas (2) and Rachel Browne, was born at Concord, Mass., Dec. 24, 1707, but his death is not recorded. On May 26, 1748, he married Mary Flint, of Concord, Rev. Daniel Bliss of that town officiating.
Five children are recorded:
1. Hannah, born Nov. 15, 1750.
2. Jonas, whose sketch follows.
3. John, b. July 28, 1755.
4. Ephraim, b. March 27, 1758.
5. Charles, b. Oct. 13, 1760.
(V) Ensign Jonas, eldest son of Thomas (3) and Mary (Flint) Brown, was born at Concord, Mass., Dec. 15, 1752, and died at Temple, N. H., July 13, 1834. He had a notable revolutionary record that is so interesting that we give it in his own words. The statement was made Aug. 17, 1832, before the court of probate, then sitting at Amherst, Hillsborough county, N. H. Mr. Brown was seventy-nine years of age at the time, and the statement was made to enable him to secure a pension, according to the act of congress, passed on June 7 of that year.
Mr. Brown stated that he entered the service of the United States: "That is to say, from the 1st of January, 1775, to the 1st of May. I was enlisted as a minute-man (being a native and resident of Concord, Mass.), under Capt. Buttrick, of the Militia, and trained twice a week, and with the rest of the company, kept guard most of the time over the public stores, roads and bridges in Concord. Early on the 19th of April, an alarm was given that the enemy were coming from Boston to Concord, and our company was paraded about daylight, and kept under arms most of the time, until the enemy arrived, and destroyed military stores and provisions, and set a guard at the Bridge, and I was ordered with othes, to rout them, which we did, when several were killed on both sides, and the enemy retreated, and we pursued to Menotomy (West Cambridge), had various skirmishing on the road, and I returned to Concord. Capt. Buttrick went to Cambridge, and several times sent for his company. I went twice or three times and returned next day. On the 1st of May, 1775, I entered the service as a corporal, under Capt. Abisha Brown, in the regiment commanded by Col. Jono. Nickson, Lt. Col. Thomas Nickson, and Maj. Jno. Buttrick in the Massachusetts Line, and served eight months at Cambridge, Charlestown, &c.; was in the battle of Bunker Hill, on the 17th of June, and was dismissed 1st of January, 1776. Again the militia was called for, and on the 1st of Feb., 1776, I enlisted as volunteer for two months, under Capt. Asel Wheeler, in the Regiment commanded by Col. Jonathan Reed, in the Mass. Line, in the Brigade destined for Canada, in which Regt was Lt. Col. Brown, and Major Fletcher. I marched from Concord to Keene, N. H., thence by way of Charlestown, N. H., Otter Creek, and Shrewsbury, Vt., where he took boats and went down Lake Champlain, to Ticonderoga, and joined the army under Gen'ls Gates, Arnold and Waterbury, and Gen. Brickett of Mass. was there. I was at Ticonderoga when Arnold and Waterbury went down the Lake with a fleet of gondolas (flat-boats) which were mostly destroyed. I remained at Ticonderoga until about the middle of Dec., 1776, when I entered my name to serve during the war, as a Lt. under Capt. Monroe, of Lexington, Mass., and had leave to return to Concord, until called for. I did so, and about the middle of March, I was called upon to take my appointment as Lt. I obeyed the call, and went to the Capt., who told me there were othes who would like to take my chance, and I resigned it and was excused from any further service, making eight months in which I was under orders as an Ensign."
It is gratifying to know that the old veteran received an annual pension of $117.33, rated from March, 1831, though he lived only three years to enjoy it.
Engisn Jonas Brown moved from Concord, Mass., to Temple, N. H., in 1780, and the latter town was his home for more than half a century.
Aug. 10, 1784, Jonas Brown married Hannah, second daughter of Major Ephraim and Sarah (Conant) Heald, who was the first female child born in Temple, N. H. Her birth occurred Dec. 2, 1761, not long after that of her cousin, Peter Heald, son of Deacon Peter, who was the first male child born in Temple. The Healds were long time residents of Concord, Mass., being descended from John Heald, who came from Berwick, England, and settled in Concord as early as 1635. Ephraim Heald was a noted scout, hunter and explorer of the wilderness in Maine, N. H. and Mass.
1. Jonas, b. July 18, 1785, removed to Oppenheim, New York, in 1838.
2. Charles, b. Aug. 16, 1787, married Lydia Woods, and removed to Batavia, New York.
3. Ephraim, b. July 13, 1790, married Sarah King, of Wilton, N. H., where he died in 1840.
4. Lucas, b. Sept. 17, 1792, moved to Norridgewock, Maine.
5. John, whose sketch follows.
6. Polly, b. Feb. 17, 1798, married Jeremiah Cutter, of Sebec, Maine.
7. Cyrus, b. Dec. 21, 1800, married Harriet Weston, and moved to Bangor, Maine.
8. Thomas Buckley, b. March 16, 1803, married Martha Farnham, and moved to Bangor, Maine.
(VI) John, fifth son of Ensign Jonas and Hannah (Heald) Brown, was born at Temple, N. H., Aug. 13, 1795, died at Exeter, Maine, July 29, 1839. About the time of his first marriage, in 1820, Mr. Brown moved to Bangor, Maine, where he was a contractor and builder, and also a dealer in lumber. He was also city marshal of Bangor for a few years. In the spring of 1839, a few months before his early death, he moved to a farm in Exeter, Maine.
He was a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Universalist church. In 1820 John Brown married Cynthia Barker, born 1800, died Aug. 17, 1831.
Nancy, Cynthia, Amanda and John.
John Brown married (second) Jan. 11, 1832, Sarah Crosby, born March 2, 1813, died 1865, daughter of John Wheeler, of Hampden, Maine.
1. Charles B., see forward.
2. Hiram, b. Jan. 17, 1834, went to California with the Argonauts of '49, and from there to Mexico where he owned valuable mines; it is thought that he was killed by the Indians.
3. George I., b. Dec. 8, 1836, enlisted in Company B, Second Maine Regiment, having the rank of lieutenant; he was wounded in the leg in the Seven Days' fight and taken prisoner; he was afterwards released and given crutches by the Confederates, perhaps because he was a Mason; he now lives near Katahdin Iron Works, Maine.
4. Henry L., b. 1838, lived in Louisiana until 1861, when he moved to Wisconsin where he died; he was an editor of a paper in Darlington, Wisconsin.
5. Wesley, b. Aug. 12, 1839, enlisted in Company B, Second Marine Regiment, in 1861, and was short at the second battle of Bull Run; he lay on the field twenty-four hours before being removed, and died from exhaustion soon afterward.
(VII) Charles Buckley, eldest of the five sons of John and Sarah C. (Wheeler) Brown, was born at Bangor, Maine, Oct. 4, 1832, died Jan. 19, 1909. He was educated in the local schools of that place and taught in the winter schools. After his father's death he was made an apprentice to a carpenter, where he served for three years. In 1856, being twenty-four years of age, he went into business for himself as a contractor and builder. He soon acquired a reputation, and was entrusted with large undertakings. Some of his more important contracts include the Morse-Oliver building (one hundred and fifty thousand dollars), the Pickering, Treat and Dale buildings (one hundred thousand dollars), the Granite Block, all of Bangor; the Fogg Memorial at South Berwick, maine; the famous Kineo House at Moosehead Lake, Maine; several of the state college buildings at Orono; Bangor Opera House; Isleboro Inn at Isleboro, and Stewart Memorial Library at Corinna, Maine.
In 1903, after nearly half a century of active life, Mr. Brown retired from business. He was a Republican in politics, and a member of the First Baptist Church. He belonged to Rising Virtue Lodge, A.F. and A.M., and also to the Odd Fellows.
On June 8, 1855, Mr. Brown married Araminta, born July 5, 1830, daughter of Colonel Isaac and Mary Allen, of Auburn, Maine. She was a teacher.
1. Ida J., born Nov. 12, 1856, graduated from Wellesley College in 1879; retained as teacher one year, but relinquished same when called home by death of sister; taught one year in Bangor high school; for last twelve years professor in Shaw University, Raleigh, North Carolina.
2. Effie May, b. Jan. 24, 1859, died May 23, 1880.
3. Alice Bellen, b. July 31, 1861, for several years a highly successful teacher in Bangor high schools; in 1891 taught in Georgetown, Colorado; for last twelve years in charge of intermediate department and assistant in higher grades in Miss Newman's private school, Bangor, Maine.
4. Sarah Nourse, b. Jan. 6, 1864, graduated from Emerson College of Oratory, Boston, also postgraduate year; taught oratory in Columbia Female Institute, Tennessee; Denver University, Denver, Colorado; in Willamette University, Salem, Oregon; is dean of college of Oratory in Willamette University.
Married, June 25, 1896, Mark H. Savage.
Child: Dorothy Odell Brown Savage, b. Nov. 16, 1899.
5. Bertha Louise, b. Aug. 12, 1868, A.M., graduated from Colby College, 1888, with Phi Beta Kappa honirs; 1889-90-91 taught in high school, Georgetown, Colorado; 1892-93-94 in high school, Somerville, Mass.; 1896-1908 assistant in Miss Newman's private school, Bangor, Maine.
The following, taken from the Bangor Daily Commercial, was written by one of the most honored citizens of Bangor: "It is fitting that the passing from the activities of life of such a man as Charles B. Brown should receive more than formal recognition because his life and character deserve prominence as an inspiration to the younger class of his fellowmen who have yet to make a record in civic virtue and professional uprightness re-enforced by intelligent kindliness and courtesy of demeanor. As a mechanic Mr. Brown was resourceful, progressive; he felt equal to taking in hand the largest building problems and he never failed to make good his contracts, whether he made money or not. His rare good judgment was frequently sought in all matters relating to construction, both by investors and contractors. And yet Mr. Brown was withal the most modest of men, never asking office. He exercised his calling in the most remote parts of the country and no blemish came to smirch his character, which is now a most precious legacy to his surviving family. In his home, his church, his city, in the circle of hosts of friends, the memory of this man, 'faithful to every trust,' shall long remain an example and an inspiration. He was my friend.
The genealogical records sometimes refer to the family below treated of as Lynn Browns, as the ancestor first appears in Lynn, Mass., to distinguish them from the many other families bearing the same cognomen, but of different origin. Member of the Portland, Maine, branch of the family have taken a very prominent part in the financial, commercial, military and social history of the state.
(I) Thomas Brown was born in Lynn, Mass., in 1628, but who his parents were is not clear. He married Mary, daughter of Thomas Newhall, who was born in 1637, and they had a large family. Three of the sons - John, Thomas and Eleazer - moved to Connecticut and settled at Stonington.
Thomas, Mary, Sarah (died young), Joseph, Sarah, Jonathan (died young), John, Mary, Jonathan, Eleazer, Ebenezer, Daniel, Ann and Grace (twins) and Daniel.
(II) John, fourth son of Thomas and Mary (Newhall) Brown, date of birth unknown, with his two brothers, Thomas and Eleazer, sold their interests in the paternal estate to their brother Daniel, and removed while still in young manhood to Stonington, Conn., where they settled, and from them have descended a very large progeny.
John married, in 1692, Elizabeth Miner, who was born in Stonington, Conn., April, 1674, daughter of Ephraim and Hannah (Avery) Miner.
John, Jonathan, Elizabeth, Hepsibah, a son, Ichabod, Prudence, Jedediah, Mehitable and Mary.
(III) Ichabod, fourth son of John and Elizabeth (Miner) Brown, was born in Stonington, March 12, 1704. He married, May 30, 1731, Sarah Chapman, who was born in Stonington Nov. 25, 1710, daughter of John and Sarah (Brown) Chapman.
Ichabod Elias, Stephen, Sarah, Asa, Jonas, Micah, Andrew, Keturah.
(IV) Elias, second son of Ichabod and Sarah (Chapman) Brown, was born in Stonington, Conn. Feb. 1, 1734. He moved to Tolland, Conn., and to Alstead, New Hampshire in 1773.
He married, June 16, 1757, Abigail Olcott, of Bolton.
Elias (2), Titus Olcott, and Hope, all of whom moved from town except Elias (2) who occupied the first framed house in Alstead, about half a mile west of the old meeting house, and he lived in Alstead till his death in 1813. Elias (2) Brown married Rebecca Keyes, of Uxbridge, mass., and they were the parents of three children, two sons and one daughter. The names of the sons were Titus and Peter Olcott.
(V) Titus Olcott, son of Elias and Abigail (Olcott) Brown, was born in Tolland, Conn., Aug. 25, 1764, and died in Norway, Maine, Feb. 23, 1855. In 1786 or soon after, Mr. Brown settled in Lancaster, N. H., and seems to have been one of the wealthier class. He lived first on what he called "Great Brook Farm," on what is now known as Otter brook. There he raised the tobacco that formed the first article of commerce shipped through the White Mountain Notch road toward the seacoast from Lancaster. This tobacco reached the ocean at Portland. An elm tree planted by Titus O. Brown in 1795 stands on Maine street, Lancaster today (1908). For some years Mr. Brown was one of the leading business men of Lancaster, kept a stock of goods at the south end of Main street, near the south end of the bridge on the west side of the street. The building still remains. Mr. Brown built a sawmill, a gristmill and a fulling mill in Lancaster. By the terms of the lease of the water power, he undertook to build a sawmill, Dec. 1, 1792, and a grist mill "with a good bolt" key Dec. 1, 1793, and a fulling mill Dec. 1, 1794. He erected a sawmill and had R. C. Everett build a grist mill one hundred feet long and three stories high, in which was a carding and fulling mill. This mill was burned some time previous to 1800 and rebuilt on the same site by Mr. Brown. He is said to have been engaged also in the hotel and transportation business. He accumulated property and was able to give his children a substantial education, but meeting with some reverses, he accepted an agency of parties engaged in the land and lumber business, and removed with his family through the notch into the town of Bartlett. After a few years there he removed to Gray Corner and kept the hotel at that place. His hotel was the favorite stopping place of travelers and teamsters, and his extensive acquaintance in northern New Hampshire, a large share of whose trade and travel then came down the Androscoggin to Bethel and thence through Greenwood, Norway and Poland by way of Gray to Portland, insured him a large share of patronage.
About the year 1833, with his son-in-law, Amos Purington, he removed to Norway and there bought out the hotel which they carried on until about the year 1842. Mr. Brown continued to reside in Norway till his death.
Titus O. Brown married Susannah, daughter of Isaac and Susannah (Johnson) Bundy, of Walpole, N. H. She was born Dec. 19, 1771, and was a descendant of John Bundy, who came to Plymouth in 1643, and later resided at Boston.
Frances, Susannah, Abigail Hatch, Titus Olcott, Persis Hatch, John Bundy, Susan Johnson, Mary Ann, Elizabeth Fox and Sarah Adeline.
(VI) Hon. John Bundy, son of Titus Olcott and Susannah (Bundy) Brown, was born in Lancaster, N. H., May 31, 1805, and died in Portland, Maine, Jan. 10, 1881. When a mere lad he was taken by his father to Gray, Maine, where he lived until he was nineteen years of age. Alpheus Shaw, the father of Thomas Shaw, of the firm of Shaw, Hammond & Carney, was then doing a large West Indian business in Portland. He stopped occasionally at the hotel kept by Titus O. Brown, and to him young Brown made known his desire to obtain a situation in the city. Mr. Shaw promised him a place in his store as soon as the chance came, and when it came he wrote announcing the fact. The letter carrying this intelligence was always carefully preserved by Mr. Brown and was among his papers at his death. Mr. Brown became a clerk for Mr. Shaw and not long afterward St. John Smith also entered the same store to learn the business, and although somewhat older than Mr. Brown, a strong friendship sprang up between them, which continued till the death of Mr. Smith, some three years preceding Mr. Brown's demise. About 1828 Messrs. Brown and Smith engaged in the grocery business on their own account under the name of Smith & Brown, on the site on Congress street where Morton block was years later erected. This partnership continued until 1840. The financial success of this firm was almost phenomenal. From the West Indies they imported immense quanitites of sugar, molasses and rum; the sale of the latter article was recognized in those days as a legitimate branch of the grocery business. On the dissolution of this firm, 1840, Mr. Brown went into business at the head of Merrill's wharf, in the store which in 1881, at the time of Mr. Brown's death, stood under the name o J. B. Brown & Company. While there he began to build is sugar house on the corner of York and Maple streets. Mr. Brown was induced to undertake the manufacture of sugar by the favorable representations of a Scotchman who came from Cuba and who claimed to have a thorough understanding of the business, but it proved otherwise, for after the building had been erected it was found that the Scotchman had no practical knowledge of the matter and Mr. Brown was compelled to go to New York to get a man to operate the works. It proved a success, however, and for some time Mr. Brown realized handsomely on his venture. At one time he employed over two hundred hands in the sugar house. At the time he went into this enterprise there were only two other sugar houses in the country. The great fire of 1866 destroyed the sugar house, which during the year had been greatly enlarged from the original building, ruining in stock, machinery and building over five hundred thousand dollars worth of property. Fortunaely for him, Mr. Brown, with his customary shrewdness, had insured his sugar works in English and Scotch companies, and consequently received in gold his insurance money. This he immediately invested in rebuilding his works on the same site. In declining to avail himself of the improvements in machinery in fitting his new sugar house, Mr. Brown made, as events proved, a financial mistake. He soon found that with the old methods he could not compete with the new sugar-refining companies which had been started in the city, and after a determined and useless struggle he close the manufacutre of sugar entirely.
In 1871 he established a private banking house under the firm name of J. B. Brown & Sons, the sons being Philip Henry and John Marshall. This banking house was first located on Exchange street and later removed into the Falmouth Hotel building. This magnificent hotel was completed by Mr. Brown in 1868, and on July 15th of that year, on the occasion of its opening, Mr. Brown was tendered by prominent citizens a testimonial dinner.
For a time Mr. Brown lived in a house on the corner of Oak and Spring streets, opposite the residence of his former partner, St. John Smith, but in 1860 he built a fine residence on the Western promenade, overlooking Bramhall Hill, which he name Bramhall, in honor of one of the original settlers bearing that name, and there he lived the remainder of his life. To specify the number of buildings in Portland which owe their existence to Mr. Brown would not only require much space, but would be almost impossible. His reputation as a builder was early established and increased as the year passed. He was undoubtedly the largest real estate owner in the city or state. At the time of his death he was contemplating the erection of three new blocks. His tax for the year 1880, as shown by the books of the city treasurer, was more than one-thirtieth of the whole tax of the city, so that when it is remembered that Mr. Brown went to Portland a poor boy, in possession of no special educational advantages, his remarkable and untiring energy becomes apparent. He was ever ready to aid in the promotion of any meritorious local enterprise and his sagacity and foresight were invaluable to them. He was once president of the Atlantic & St. Lawrence railroad, was a director of the Portland & Ogdensburg railroad, and of the Maine Central, as well as a stockholder in both roads. At one time he had a large interest in the Toledo, Peoria & Western Railroad Company, of New York, and was a director of the Erie railroad. He was also interested in the Portland, Saco & Portsmouth railroad. For years he had been a director in the First National Bank of Portland. He was for a long time one of the trustees of Bowdoin College and established there the Brown memorial scholarship, which is eligible only to graduates of the Portland high school. He was president of the Maine General Hospital.
In 1843 he became a member of Laconia Lodge of Odd Fellow. He was too much engaged in business to seek political honors to which his remarkable talents warranted his aspiration, but was elected to the state senate for one term.
Though not a professor of religion, Mr. Brown inclined toward the Congregational faith, and was a regular attendant at High Street Church, toward the support of which he was a liberal contributor. Mr. Brown was in every sense a thorough business man. His naturally keen intellect enables him to see the end of a business enterprise from the beginning. In his death Portland lost one of the most successful business men that ever lived in that city.
He died from a fall while passing from the residence of his daughter, Mrs. W. H. Clifford, to his own home just across the street. The concussion caused the rupture of a blood vessel in his head and he died a few hours later.
John Brown married, in 1830, Ann Matilda Greely, daughter of Philip Greely, of Portland.
James Olcott, Philip Henry, John Marshall, Ellen Greely (who married William Henry Clifford).
(VII) General John Marshall, third son of John Bundy and Ann Matilda (Greely) Brown, was born in Portland, Dec. 14, 1838, and died at his summer residewnce in Falmouth, July 20, 1907. He attended the public schools, Gould's Academy, at Bethel, and Phillips Andover Academy. He entered Bowdoin in 1858 and graduated in the famous class of 1860, with Judge Symonds, Hon. Amos L. Allen, Colonel Thomas Hubbard, of New York, Judge Burbank, Saco, Ex-speaker Thomas B. Reed, and others. He was class orator of Phillips Exeter and winner of the declamation prizes of the sophomore and junior years, and elected class orator on graduation at Bowdoin.
He began the study of law in the office of Hon. John Rand, but the outbreak of the civil war interfered with his plans and he left his studies to go to the front. He enlisted in 1862 and was appointed first lieutenant, assistant adjutant general, June 29, and adjutant, Sept. 1, 1862, to the Twentieth Maine Volunteer Infantry, and served under Colonel Adelbert Ames and Lieut.-Col. J. L. Chamberlain, plunging into real service at once. He took active part in the battles of Antietam, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. When Col. Ames was promoted, Lieut. Brown was made captain and assistant adjutant general of volunteers by the president to serve in Geneal Ames' staff. While on duty he served in several severe battles, including Gettysburg. In his report of his troops at Gettysburg, General Ames thus speaks of Captain Brown: "Capt. J. M. Brown, my assistant adjutant general, rendered most valuable services during the three days' fighting; with great coolness and energy he ably seconded my efforts in repelling the assault made by the enemy on the evening of the second." Later Captain Brown served in the far south, when General Ames was sent to that section in command of the department, taking part in the siege of Fort Wagner and the movement on Johnson's Island, and subsequently in the movements about Jacksonville. When the thirty-second Maine regiment was organized, the late Dr. Mark E. Wentworth, of Kittery, was commissioned colonel and he accepted with the condition that Captain Brown should serve as his lieut.-colonel. Dr. Wentworth's courage was without blemish, but his physical condition was such that he felt it would be an impossibility for him to be sure of holding active command, and he wanted a good officer for the position to fall to if he was obliged to leave it. Lieut.-Col. Brown was emphatically the right man in the right place. The Thirty-second Maine Regiment was mustered in April 20, 1864, under the last call of President Lincoln, that of Feb. 1, 1864. It was largely made up of men who had seen service in other regiments, so that it was in a measure prepared for the duty that was thrust upon it, that of the tremendous fightin of the latter days of the rebellion when Grant was gradually hammering the life out of the confederacy. Colonel Brown found himself in command of the regiment through the sickness of Colonel Wentworth, and he fought the regiment in the battles of Totopotomy and Cold Harbor and the preliminary movements at Petersburg. He was severely wounded in the action. He was brevetted brigadier-general of volunteers for gallant and meritorious service in the field. On his return, by care, he recovered his health to such an extent that those who knew him only late in life regarded him as a stalwart man of great physical powers, and knew nothing of the serious condition in which he returned from the army. He retained his interest in military matters to the end of his life, and was prominent in everything of a local character for the good of the service. He was a firm believer in a strong national guard as one of the main steps of the nation.
After his return from the army he joined the militia and served as colonel of the First Regiment for a number of years. He was also appointed brigadier-general, but did not exercise the command because in his opinion there was no brigade to command. He labored long and patiently to bring about reforms in the national guard system of the country which are only now beginning to become apparent. He was of the opinion gained from his foreign tours of observation that the national guard system of the country must be uniform and based on the sytems in vogue in Europe which link whole nations together for the common defence by a regular system of organizations.
General Brown entered the business firm of which is father and his elder brother, the late Philip Henry Brown, were members, in the sugar business, and later in the real estate and banking business. Subsequent to the death of his father, the firm changed into a corporation called the P. H. and J. M. Brown Company, which still continues in business.
He lived in Portland a short time after his return from the war and he served in the common council from ward six in 1865. Later he became impressed with the future value of Falmouth Foreside and bought the large tract near Waite's Landing, where his home was and where he maintained his legal residewnce for nearly forty years. He was a great lover of agriculture and for years conducted large farming operations on a scale that marked him as a successful gentleman farmer.
General Brown had traveled extensively in England and he was imbued somewhat with the value of the English idea of large landed estates, and his place at Falmouth was conducted much on the same basis as one of the large English establishments. At different times he sustained large losses from fire, having his barns burned and in other ways suffering severly, so that in his later years he confined his operations within a much narrower limit.
General Brown was one of the commissioners to the Paris exposition by appointment of General Grant. He was for more than twenty-five years a member of the board of overseers of Bowdoin College, and for twelve years before his death was member and president of the board of trustees. He was one of the most loyal sons of old Bowdoin and was ever ready to go to her aid in time of need.
He served as a member of the legislature from the towns of Falmouth and Cumberland in 1899, and won distinction on the committee on military affairs, being really the father of the present militia law which governs the militia of the state. He also introduced and was sponsor for the law which forbids the placing of any advertisement on the national flag, thus preserving it from desecration by enterprising tradesmen who seek to use it to push their business.
He was appointed in 1898 a member of the board of managers of the National Homes for Disabled Veterans and he had general charge of the Togus Home until his resignation a short time before his death. Early in life he became interested in historical matters and was elected a member of the Maina Historical Society more than thirty years ago. He was an earnest student of history, and although his writings were few they are of great value and his services to the society were extremely valuable. He was one of the building committee of the Historical Library, and although in great measure restricted by his illness, he was able to do a great deal of valuable work toward making this building the great success that it is. He was vice-president of the Maine Historical Society for a number of years, and was also corresponding member of some other twenty historical socities in this and other countries, and rendered valuable service to the cause of history in many lands.
He was one of the original members of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion and served as commander of the Maine Commandery. He was also a member of the Sons of American Revolution, of the Society of Colonial Wars and of the Grand Army of the Republic. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, although he did not take a prominent part in the work of this order for many years before his death. He was one of the founders and the first president of the Portland Army and Navy Union. He was the president of the Soldiers' and Sailor's Monument Association and delivered the address on the occasion of the completion and surrender of the monument to the city.
General Brown received the degree of Master of Arts from Bowdoin College at commencement in 1863. Aside from his business relations, his connection with the Protestant Episcopal church made him better known than any other thing with which he was connected. He became an Episcopalian early in life and was chosen one of the vestry of St. Luke's Cathedral many years ago. He served as vestryman for a long time, was advanced to the position of warden, and then for a long time served as senior warden of the corporation and treasurer of the Cathedral Chapter. He was elected delegate to the diocesan convention for the first time in 1887, and after that time missed only four convenions till the close of his life, and these at times when he was either out of he country or incapacitated by illness. He served on the standing committees for years and in the intervals between the death of one bisyop and the election and consecration of another, this body acting as the ecclesiastical authority, took a prominent part in the direction of affairs in the diocese. General Brown was first elected a lay deputy to the first convention in 1878, and was re-elected every three years from that time. He was re-elected at the conventon in May to the general convention to be held at Richmond, Virginia, in October, and his death caused a vacancy in the body. He was a working member of the general convention for years. He served on many important committees, including that one the state of the church and on canons and the prayer book. He was what is known as a high church man and was liberal in his suppor of the tenets of the faith once committed to the saints. Many of the movements that have attained a great prominence in the church were due to him, including the creation of the Episcopate fund and other important features.
General Brown was a genial man to meet, and a charming conversationalist, although for all his social prominence he was a diffident man and extremely loath to put himself forward. His range of information was wide, his knowledge deep and accurate, and he was master of vigorous English. About a year previous to his death, while traveling in Mexico, General Brown was stricken with what was proved to be a first shock of paralysis, and for a time his condition was considered critical. He returned to Portland, however, and the following year went to Falmouth Foreside, where he died of the shock caused by an operaton for appendicitis he was compelled to undergo.
John Marshall Brown married Dec. 18, 1866, Alida Catherine Carroll, of Washington, a direct descendant of Daniel Carroll, of Duddington, one of the signers of the Constitution. She was born in Washingon, April 5, 1844, and is the daughter of William Thomas and Sally (Sprigg) Carroll, of Washington.
1. Sally Carroll, born Oct. 26, 1867, married April 5, 1893, Herbert Payson, son of Charles and Ann Maria (Robinson) Payson, and grandson of Rev. Edward Payson; children: i. Alida, b. Jan. 27, 1895; ii. Anne Carroll, b. Oct. 14, 1896; iii. John Brown, b. Oct. 1, 1897; iv. Charles Shipman, b. Oct. 16, 1898; v. Herbert Jr., b. March 22, 1902; vi. Olcott Sprigg, b. June 30, 1907.
2. Alida Greely, born May 9, 1870, died April 25, 1889. at Montreux, Switzerland.
3. Mary Brewster, b. Feb. 16, 1876, married Aug. 5, 1901, George Strong Derby of Boston, son of Dr. Hasket and Sarah (Mason) Derby.
4. Carroll, born March 19, 1881; see forward.
Daniel Carroll, of Litterlonna, was father of Charles Carroll, "Barrister," of Inner Temple, London, common ancestor of both the "Carrollton" and "Dudlington" Carrolls. The latter were cousins.
5. Violetta Lansdale, born May 14, 1883, married Aug. 28, 1906, Harold Lee Berry, son of Alfred H. and Frances F. (Crosby) Berry, of Portland.
(VIII) Carroll, only son of General John Marshall and Alida Catherine (Carroll) Brown, was born in Portland March 19, 1881. After leaving the common schools he attended the Fay School, Southborough, Mass., St. Paul's School, Concord, N. H., and Harvard College for two years. Since that time he has been largely engaged in real estate and mining transactions in New England and the West. In 1907 the Northeastern Paving & Contracting Company was organized, for the purpose of laying Hassam concrete paving in northeastern New England, and Mr. Brown was made treasurer of the concern which from the start has done a successful and constantly increasing business.
Mr. Brown is a member of Portland Lodge, No. 188, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Portland Country Club, the Portland Yacht Club and the Harvard Yacht Club, in all of which he is a well-known figure. He attends the Protestant Episcopal church.
He married, Sept. 26, 1906, in New York City, Amanda Juneman, who was born in Boulder, Colorado, 1877, daughter of Frederick William and Pattie (Field) Juneman. Mr. and Mrs. Juneman have three children: Irene, married Fay Malone; Amanda, above mentioned; Field, married Marguerite Klein.
Carroll & Amanda (Juneman) Brown have one child:
Pattie Field, born Aug. 11, 1907.
There were numerous Brown families among the pioneer settlers of Massachusetts. There were three distinguished families located in one town in Essex county, and their descendants are scattered throughout the commonwealth and other states of the U.S., rendering it difficult to trace distinct lines. There were, in the early days of New Hampshire, two John Browns in Thornton, belonging to entirely distinct ancestral lines. Some representatives of the name now use the final "e" in its spelloing, which arose, without doubt, from the peculiar habit of the early New England settlers of adding that letter to any name. The name has furnished many men of prominence in the business, political, religious and social circles of the various states.
(I) Thomas Brown, born about 1607, came from Malford, England, and settled in Newbury, Mass. in 1635, and died there Jan. 8, 1687, aged eighty years. His wife Mary died June 2, 1655. Record is found of three children:
1. Francis, mentioned below.
2. Isaac, married Rebecca Barley, and lived in Newbury.
3. Mary, born 1635.
(II) Francis, son of Thomas and Mary Brown, was born 1632, in England, and resided in Newbury, where he was married Nov. 21, 1653, to Mary Johnson, and both were members of the church in Newbury. The date of the death of his wife Mary is not of record, and he had a second wife of whom little knowledge is obtainable. He died in Newbury in 1691.
Children of 1st wife:
Elizabeth, Mary, Hannah, Sarah, John and Thomas.
(III) John, elder son of Francis and Mary (Johnson) Brown, was born May 13, 1665, and undoubtedly passed his life in Newbury, where he was married Aug. 20, 1683, to Ruth Hense, born Feb. 25, 1664, daughter of Abel and Mary (Sears) Hense, of Newbury.
(IV) John (2), son of John (1) and Ruth (Heuse) [trans note: is it Hence or Heuse??], was born about 1685, in Newbury, and made his home in that town, where he was married Jan. 20, 1713, to Elizabeth Dole, born Aug. 16, 1692, daughter of John and Mary (Gerrish) Dole.
(V) Moses, son of John (2) and Elizabeth (Dole) Brown, was born Oct. 20, 1723, and removed from Newbury to Plymouth, N. H., in 1768 or '69, and soon thereafter died. He was married in 1748 (intention published Oct. 15, 1748), to Elizabeth Brown, born Nov 8, 1728, in Newbury, daughter of Thomas and Deborah Brown. She married (second) Nov. 4, 1771, Deacon Francis Worcester, of Plymouth, b. March 30, 1721, in Bradford, Mass., son of Rev. Francis and Abigail (Carleton) Worcester. Deacon Worcester was one of the foremost citizens of Grafton county, and served as representative, councillor and delegate to the constitutional convention. He was a sagacious leader in town, county and state affairs, and died Oct. 19, 1800, in Plymouth.
Children of Moses & Elizabeth Brown:
1. Elizabeth, married David Perkins, of Campton, N. H.
2. Mary, married Joseph Pulsifer, of the same town.
3. Sarah, married Ezekiel Harding.
4. John, mentioned below.
5. Hannah, married Rev. Noah Worcester, son of Capt. Noah Worcester, of Hollis, N. H. He was the able minister of Thornton. She died Nov. 16, 1697.
(VI) John (3), only son of Moses and Elizabeth (Brown) Brown, was born Sept. 4, 1755, in Plymouth, and resided in Thornton, N. H., where he married March 3, 1785, Susannah (or Hannah) Ingalls, probably a daughter of Timothy Ingalls, of Chester, Plymouth and Thornton, N. H.
Before the close of the eighteenth century, he removed to Montville, Waldo county, Maine, where he died, and he married (second) in Belfast, Maine, a widow Nesme, who bore him three sons: George, Edward and Frank. These settled at Elizabethport, New Jersey, and were extensively interested in real estate and building in that town.
Children of 1st marriage:
Charles, Moses, Sarah, Hannah and John Ingalls.
(VII) John Ingalls, son of John (3) and Susanna (Ingalls) Brown, was born Oct. 27, 1789, in Thornton, and was a child when he removed with his parents to Maine. He enlisted from Maine in the Hampton Infantry for the war of 1812, participating in the engagement at Dixmont Hills and elsewhere.
He married, at Albion, Kennebec county, Maine, in April, 1811, to Mary Warren. A daughter named Elizabeth and a son John, born of this marriage, died in infancy. Charles, the third child, was born Dec. 10, 1818.
5. Noah Worcester, born June 18, 1823.
6. William Penn, b. June 19, 1825.
7. John W., mentioned below.
8. Benjamin, b. Nov. 27, 1831.
9. Mary Frances, b. June, 1835. She married Abel Smiley, at Bangor, Maine, and lived in Clinton, Iowa.
(VIII) John Warren, fifth son of John Ingalls and Mary (Warren) Brown, was born May 7, 1828, in Montville, and resided for some time in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, whence he returned to Maine, and settled in Bangor.
He married Frances Hopkins, born in 1830, at Orrington, Penobscot county, Maine.
1. John Ingalls, mentioned below.
2. Charles W. H., a graduate of Mains State College.
(IX) John Ingalls, son of John Warren Brown, was born at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Feb. 14, 1852. He returned with his parents from Philadelphia, where they had lived a few years, to their former home in Bangor, Maine, where he spent his childhood and attended the public schools. He also aattended Hampden Academy and the Eastern Conference Seminary at Bucksport, Maine, for several terms, and Kent's Hill Academy. He passed his entrance examininations to Bowdoin College, cut did not enter. He became private secretary to (Congressman later) Governor Plaisted of Maine. Afterward he taught school in Hampden, Maine, for three winter terms, and in the meanwhile read law in the office of Governor Plaisted. In 1881 he was appointed to a responsible position in the census office, and detailed for special work in various sections of the country. He continued the study of law in the National University of Washington, D. C., and graduated with the degree of LL.B. in the class of 1884, and was admitted to the bar of the District of Columbia the same year. He took he civil service examinations for the patent office in 1885, and was appointed assistant examiner that year and made a principal examiner in July, 1908, in charge of Division No. 41.
He is president of the Beneficial Association of the Department of the Interior in Washington.
In politics he is a Republican; in religion a Unitarian.
He is a member of every branch of Odd Fellowship, and one of the most distinguished men of that order. He is grand representative to the Sovereign Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F., Dist. of Columbia; was grand master in 1898. He belongs to Easton Lodge, No. 7, of Washington, Fred. D. Stewart Encampment No. 7, Canton Washington No. 1, and Naomi Rebekah No. 1. He is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution; of District of Columbia Rathbone Superior Lodge, Knights of Pythias. He is a member of the board of trustees of I.O.O.F. Hall, and a director of the Odd Fellows Home Association.
He married Feb. 14, 1883, Nettie Aldea West, of Bath, Maine, born May 20, 1859, daughter of Nathan West and Jeanette (Stetson) West, of Lewiston, Maine. They had one child, who died in infancy.