Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
The surname Bragdon or Bragden has been in use for several centuries in England, and a lineage of the family appears in a visitation of London as early as 1658. The coat-of-arms of the Bragdon family is: Argent a lion passant azure between three fleurs de lis gules. Crest: A boar issuant out of a rock proper.
(I) Arthur Bragdon, immigrant ancestor, was born in England in 1598, and died in York, Maine, about 1678. He settled in York as early as 1642, and was a citizen of prominence, having large grants of land and holding much property on the south side of the York river. All of this name are his descendants, unless possibly some families of recent immigration. The Bragdons were leading spirits in some of the coast towns of Maine for many generations, filling various positions of trust and honor.
Arthur Bragdon and George Puddington deposed July 3, 1647, to the effect that Richard Vines made a grant of land to John Wadlon and Edmund Littlefield in Wells, York county, by deed dates Nov. 20, 1645, in behalf of Sir Ferdinando Georges, patentee of Maine province. (See York Deeds). In a deposition made in York in 1665 his age is stated as "about sixty-seven years." He filled many offices and served on important committees in the old town of York. Just before his death he deeded to his son Thomas, May 20, 1678, all his estate on condition that Thomas "provide all necessary things as long as he and his wife live." His administrator filed an inventory Oct. 2, 1678 (Part I, fol. 36, vol. v, York Deeds). Among the articles mentioned was: "One hatt 5s, too ould coats & one peyre of briches, 30s." Evidently the wardrobe of the progenitor was simple enough. The spelling is that of the conveyances, not of Bragdon, because he signed his need with a large capital "A," the ends of the cross-bar and the terminals of each leg of the letter being divided like a forked stick. His son Thomas signed with a mark - plain capital letters, "T. B."
We do not find the name of Arthur's wife.
1. Arthur mentioned below.
2. Thomas, mentioned below.
(II) Thomas, son of Arthur Bragdon, was born about 1625. He was treasurer of York county in 1667. He received the homestead and other property from his father as stated above, but there is no record of his disposal of the property. Evidently his son Samuel came into possession of the land, however, and we know of no other children, except Arthur, who married Sarah, mentioned in Arthur (3) and Samuel (3), below.
(II) Sergeant Arthur (2), son of Arthur (1) Bragdon, was born about 1620 in England. He died in 1711, or shortly before, as we know from a deed in which Arthur Bragdon states that he is the son of Arthur Bragdon, lately deceased. This same Arthur (3) mentions his grandfather Arthur in another deed.
Arthur (2) was deacon of the church and a large owner of property in York County.
He married Sarah _____. He bought of his son, Arthur Bragdon Jr., half the tract granted originally to him, Ensign Arthur Bragdon Sr., deed dated Feb. 20, 1694-05. (There was another Arthur Sr., son of Thomas). He owned a sawmill at York, in partnership with Abraham Preble and Peter Nowell, built soon after Nov. 14, 1700, when the partnership was formed.
1. Arthur, mentioned below.
No other sons known, but may have had daughters.
(III) Arthur (3), son of Arthur (2) Bragdon, was born about 1650. Arthur Bragdon, farmer, son of Arthur Bragdon, lately deceased, sold land near the sawmill to Nathaniel Ramsdell June 21, 1711 (Yor Deeds, vii, fol. 226). He bought and sold many lots of land from 1710-25.
He married Mehitable _____. He was called "Jr." long after the death of his father, Arthur, proving that Arthur Sr. of that time must have been a cousin, doubtless son of Thomas. This Arthur died in 1736 at York, bequeathing to wife Sarah, only son Thomas, and daughters Sarah Johnson, Martha Lord, Tabitha Linscott, Bethia Leavitt, Love Sayer, and Mary Bragdon, unmarried.
Arthur (3) was a man of property and disticntion, removing to Scarborough in 1725, and spent there "the remainder of a long and useful life." He was one of the few to whom the title "gentleman" was applied in legal documents of his time. Capt. Solomon and Gideon Bragdon, probably his sons, settled in Scarborough, and their descendants have been numerous in Buxton, Limington and other adjacent towns.
(III) Samuel, son of Thomas Bragdon, inherited the homestead in York, and his descendants have been numerous in that town and vicinity. Although but about sixty years old and having minor children, he follows the usual cheerful phraseology in making his will, May 10, 1709, and describes himself as "aged and crazy of body." He bequeaths to his wife, then living, sons Samuel and Joseph, "under age," and daughters Magdalin, Patience, Sarah and Ruth, to each of whom he gives five and twenty shillings. He called Deacon (Arthur) Bragdon his "dear cousin," and appointed him sole executor of his estate. He died in 1712. The inventory was returned Jan. 16, 1712-13, amounting to 196 pounds eight shillings.
He married Mary, daughter of Thomas Moulton.
Children, b. in York:
1. Samuel, born July 31, 1673; mentioned below.
2. Mary, born Nov. 24, 1675..
3. Patience, born April 17, 1678.
4. Sarah, born March 20, 1680.
5. Jeremiah, born March 17, 1683, died young.
6. Ruth, born April 9, 1691.
7. Joseph, born Sept. 19, 1694, bought land at York in 1714, of Daniel Weare.
(IV) Samuel (2), son of Samuel (1) Bragdon, was born in York, July 31, 1673. He married Isabella Marston. From his uncle, Arthur Bragdon Sr. and wife Sarah, he bought forty-five acres of land Dec. 25, 1701. This land was "laid out to the grandfather of Arthur Bragdon Sr., grantor, on the southwest side of the York river, "opposite the house of Samuel Sr.'s house, wehre Samuel Jr. lives," bounded on the northwest by a lot granted to Job Alcock, later owned by Abraham Park; bounded also by Thomas Donnell's land and Rogers' Brook. This Arthur could sign his name, but his wife made a mark like a captail O. It should be said that many of these pioneers could read and write, but from choice used these marks, which in many cases were tantamount to a seal or coat-of-arms in the way they were used and in the care with which they were designed. He and his second wife Lydia needed this land to his son, Samuel Jr., Jan. 3, 1725-6. He deeded land that he bought of Henry Wright to the same son Jan. 5, 1724, and also a twenty-acre town grant on the southwest side of the York river, probably for a house lot, Jan. 31, 1721-2.
Children of Samuel & Isabella:
1. Dorcas, born Sept. 7, 1695.
2. Mary, born April 7, 1698.
3. Samuel, born April 6, 1700; mentioned below.
4. Isabellla, born Aug. 13, 1702.
5. Jeremiah, born March 30, 1704-5.
6. Daniel, born Jan. 7, 1707.
7. Joseph, born March 7, 1709-10.
8. Mehitable, born Sept. 19, 1712.
(V) Samuel (3), son of Samuel (2) Bragdon, was born in York, April 6, 1700. He received the homestead from his father, and was the only one of the family to remain in York and perpetuate the name. He married Tabitha, daughter of Lieut. Joseph Banks, of York. He married (second) Mercy, daughter of Josiah Main, of York.
Children of 1st wife:
1. Tabitha, born Dec. 1, 1723.
2. Betty, born Sept .10, 1725.
3. Lydia, born Nov. 12, 1727.
4. Isabella, born April 8, 1731.
5. Samuel, born Nov. 9, 1736; married Miriam Milberry, daughter of John; she died Nov. 27, 1829, aged ninety-two, and he died Jan. 26, 1806; children b. in York.
Children of 2d wife:
6. Josiah, born Aug. 19, 1747; mentioned below.
7. Matthias, born June 15, 1749.
8. Mercy, born Oct. 13, 1751.
9. Oliver, born Oct. 22, 1754.
(VI) Lieut. Josiah, son of Samuel (3) Bragdon, was born at York, Aug. 19, 1747. He fought in the French and Indian war, and in the revolution, holding the rank of lieutenant. He met his death at Ticonderoga, in the service.
He married Mary Swett, daughter of Joseph Swett, of York.
1. Josiah, mentioned below.
(VII) Josiah (2), son of Lieut. Josiah (1) Bragdon, was born in York, Maine, Dec. 12, 1775, and died there March 20, 1860. He married (first), Nancy Harmon and (second) Lydia Harmon, born 1786, died Sept. 2, 1879, at the age of ninety-three. He was a mariner.
Child of 1st wife:
1. Julia Ann, born April 10, 1810, died Sept. 25, 1877.
Children of 2d wife:
2. Charles, born Sept. 27, 1815.
3. Josiah D., born Jan. 4, 1821.
4. Edward Albert, mentioned below.
(VIII) Edward Albert, son of Josiah (2) Bragdon, was born in York April 27, 1830, and died there Dec. 28, 1877. He was educated in the public schools of his native tgown and at Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass. He was clerk in a general store for a time, and in 1858 began business on his own account, buying the stock and good-will of Joseph P. Junkins, at York, and conducting a general store at York Village from 1858 to 1865. He then purchased the farm known as the Captain Tom Clark farm, where he resided until his death, filling meantime the office of collector of customs at the Port of York. He was an excellent business man and a useful citizen. In politics he was a Republican.
He married in 1855, Matilda McIntire, born in York Oct. 6, 1835, daughter of Edgar McIntire of York, descendant of Micom McIntyre, an early and celebrated pioneer of York.
1. Mary A., born July 4, 1856; marraied Samuel T. Blaisdell, of York.
2. Charles, born Sept. 10, 1859.
3. Julia D., born April 9, 1862.
4. Albert McIntire, born July 23, 1864; mentioned below.
5. Dummer, born Aug. 19, 1867, died June 10, 1894.
6. Kate E., born May 1, 1873, died Oct. 15, 1875.
7. Arthur E., born Nov. 22, 1876.
(IX) Albert McIntire, son of Edward Bragdon, was born in York Village, July 23, 1864. He was educated in the public schools of York and at Hampton Seminary, at New Hampton, N. H. He embarked in the meat and provision business in York in 1885, and continued for three years, selling at the end of that time to Perley Putnam. In 1888 he opened a retail grocery-store in York and conducted it for five years, selling out in 1893. Mr. Bragdon helped to organize the York County National Bank in 1893, and was chosen cashier, a position he has filled with credit to the present (1908) time.
Mr. Bragdon is a Republican in politics, and was town treasurer of York in 1890-91-92. He was elected again in 1901 and 1902, but declined to serve. He is a member of St. Aspinquid Lodge of Free Masons of York, No. 198; of Unity Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, No. 32, of South Berwick; of Maine Council, Royal and Select Masters, of Saco; and of Bradford Commandery, Knights Templar, of Biddeford.
He married (first), Oct. 3, 1893, Emeline D. Baxter, of Hyannis, Mass., daughter of Capt. Benjamin D. Baxter. She died Feb. 14, 1900, at Phoenix, Arizona, where she had gone in search of health. He married (second), July 2, 1903, Ruth E. Putnam, born April 14, 1872, daughter of G. W. S. Putnam, of York.
Children of 1st wife:
1. Elizabeth M., born March 9, 1895.
2. Edward Albert, born March 24, 1896.
Child of 2d wife:
3. Kingsbury Putnam, born July 25, 1904.
The Bragdon family in New England has long been known as one of scholarly attainments, and of great devotion to all religious work which has been committed to its members for completion. No forest has ever been deep enough to overshadow their hopes of guiding men and women to the truth, and no gray fields or dreary stretches of shore have had the least influence in retarding their faithful labors. New fields of work in the most chaotic condition have held fine rewards for the unfaltering trust and words of cheer, while old towns with the aggregation of difficulties from each passing year has found them winning precious results out of the midst of long-held discouragements and corroding neighborhood strifes and misunderstandings. Such achievements as these have made the Bragdon name very precious to many men and women, and their words and deeds are often quoted with deeply inspiring results on the broad prairies that they never saw, and on far-away shores whose gray cliffs have never risen before them. And the results of the work of the Bragdons in schools in the neighborhoods where they lived, or with which they have been officially connected, has been of the same uplifting and endurin character. Many a successful man and woman in various parts of our country can say with deepest gratitude: "My pathway to whatever I may have achieved that is worthy was entered on the day when Mr. Bragdon, our minister, visited our school and spoke his few but earnest words of cheer," or "I should never have been in the position where I am today if my teacher, Mr. Bragdon, had not seen so clearly just what help I needed to arouse me to better and more faithful work."
Tributes like these are truly worth many times their weight in gold, and give a charm to the name of these strong old famlies which have borne it.
(I) Rev. Frederick A. Bragdon was born in Bangor, Maine, in October, 1846, and was a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church in many towns of Maine, giving the most faithful service in each field where he was sent, and everywhere seeing hearts led to a better life, many of these going out to labor for other lives and towns in the most faithful manner through a long course of years.
Methodism in the old Pine Tree State was then winning great triumphs, and the work of Mr. Bragdon was ever counted as the best done in that section.
He married Sarah Dorinda Bowden, born at Monroe, Maine, but spent most of her life in Brewer. She was a woman of deep piety and a great help to her husband in all his work.
Frederick E. and Abner O., born April 17, 1874.
(II) Frederick Elias, son of Rev. Frederick A. and Sarah Dorinda (Bowden) Bragdon, was born in Brewer, Maine, June 29, 1870, and is now the very efficient president of the East Maine Conference Seminary, at Bucksport, Maine. He was a faithful student in the public schools of several Maine towns. He graduated from the Gorham high school in 1887, studied in Bowdoin College for two years, and graduated from Wesleyan University in 1891, A. B. He took a postgraduate at Brown University, and in 1905 received the degree of A. M. Mr. Bragdon has been a teacher all his life, beginning this highly successful work before he had completed his studies. He was superintendent of the public schools at Lincoln, Rhode Island, from 1900 to 1905. In 1905 he was elected by the trustees of the East Maine Conference Seminary as president of that insitution, and promptly and cheerfully accepted this position, though to some observers the work there seemed hedged in with strong and chronic difficulties. All his work has been characterized by great enery, wisdom and hopefulness.
His wife, Sarah Evelina (Smith) Bragdon, of Brunswick, Maine, is a woman of fine culture and helpfullness.
Eleanor May, born May 1, 1898.
Clara Dora, born May 31, 1900.
Alice Elizabeth, born Jan. 23, 1908.
The East Maine Conference Seminary, of which Mr. Frederick E. Bragdon is the very efficient president, was opened in Bucksport, Aug. 20, 1851, with an attendance of twenty-seven pupils. Bishop W. F. Mallalieu has well said: "The location of Bucksport Seminary is most delightful, healthful and inspiring. Those were wise and far-seeing who chose this magnificent site. The Rhine and the Hudson are famous for their scenery, but the Penobscot from Monhegan Head to Bangor will not suffer by comparison. Who that has ever stood upon the campus at Bucksport and gazed upon the surrounding country, and followed the course of the noble river as it makes its way to the sea, but has been thrilled by the glorious view? Young people are largely influenced by their environment. Where can there be found a place where earth and sky more completely join to exalt the thoughts and stimulate the souls and purify the hearts of students than at Bucksport Seminary? Thousands of young people within the territory of the East Maine Conference Seminary, would have had their lives enriched and their success assured if they could only enjoy the esthetic, physical, intellectual and spiritual culture that the seminary offers."
The village of Bucksport has ever taken a deep interest in this school, and there are thousands of far-away places where its students have gone as the best and truest workers for humanity, which daily think of the "grand school upon the hill." It was founded with most earnest prayers that it long might be a beacon light of hope for the whole earth. Its broad and deep foundations have never been shaken by the countless storms which have rushed upon it. After a terrible tunder tempest which swept down the Penobscot, hurling great trees to the earth and leaving marks of destruction everywhere, an old lady quietly looked out from the window of her home and said: "I knew that the Seminary would be there. It looks just as if the storm had only put strength into it." The records of this noble school are enriched with the names and attainments of scores and scores of the best men and women, and its teachers, as well as the pastors of the Methodist and Congregational churches of this town, have been of the highest types of scholarship and helpfulness. The rest and cheer of a Sabbath in Bucksport reaches its hands of blessing into the long years that may follow.
Rev. L. L. Knox, the first principal of the East Maine Conferecne Seminary, was one of the early graduates of Wesleyan University, of Middletown, Connecticut, and after his graduation was elected tutor in the university. After teaching for a time he joined the itinerant ranks and was an earnest and helpful preacher in New York state. He came to Bucksport in 1851 and remained until 1856, doing noble work for the school. He then went west and spent the remainder of his active life in pastoral work in the state of Illinois, dying at Evanston, Jan. 8, 1901, aged ninety years.
Robert P. Bucknam was principal of the seminary from 1859 to 1863. He took the charge of the school after it had been closed for some time on account of financial embarrassment, and he did a grand work, having much help in the energetic and able work of Rev. Ammi Prince. Mr. Buckman was born at Columbia Falls, Maine, was a graduate of Wesleyan University, a man of scholarly attainments, and died in Bangor, where he had been a very efficient principal of the high school. He married Jane Johnston, the first preceptress of the seminary.
Rev. James B. Crawford was principal of the seminary from 1863 to 1869, having been teacher of mathematics there for several years. He was born at Durham, Maine, a graduate of the famous Kent's Hill school, and he died at Bucksport during his term of service, March 29, 1869, aged forty years. He was of one of the strongest old families of Maine, a man of noble spirit, and a teacher and principal of marked ability.
Melvin F. Arey was principal of the seminary from 1869 to 1872. He was born at Hampden, Maine, and has been one of the ablest teachers wherever his work has led him. He entered Bowdoin College in 1862, but immediately enlisted in the Twenty-second Maine Infantry, from which he was honorably discharged in 1863, after a brave service. He graduated from Bowdoin College in 1867. After leaving Bucksport he taught at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and subsequently was superintendent of schools at Cedar Falls and Fort Dodge. He has been professor of natural science at Cedar Falls in the Iowa State Normal school since 1890. He is president of the Iowa Academy of Science, member of the State Board of Geological Survey, and secretary of the Iowa Educational Council.
Rev. George Forsyth, a native of Gateshead, England, a graduate of Wesleyan University in 1864, took the principalship of the Bucksport Seminary in 1872, after having had several very successful years of service in the Wyoming Conference, and retained this position, in which is influence was so strong and helpful, until 1881. In 1887 he returned to the Wyoming Conference, where he has held various pastorates with marked success, and has served as presiding elder.
From 1881 to 1884 the seminary was under the excellent care of Rev. Morris W. Prince, who was born at East Boothbay, Maine, and received his degree of S.T.D. from Wesleyan University in 1890. He joined the New Hampshire Conference in 1871, and in 1884 was transferred to the New York East Conference. In 1896, while pastor of Trinity Church, New Haven, Connecticut, he was elected to the Chair of History and Political Science in Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, a position which he still occupies.
The next principal of the seminary was Rev. Alden F. Chase, who was born at Woodstock, Maine, a student at Kent's Hill, and a graduate of Wesleyan University in 1869. He received his degree of Ph. D. from Colby University, and in 1872 became a member of the Maine Conference, being transferred to the East Maine Conference in 1884. He was a delgate to the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal church in 1892, representing the first district of the book committee from 1892 to 1896. He taught with great success in several important places, and resigned his position in Bucksport to become president of the Kent's Hill Seminary, dying at that place Oct. 22, 1898, at the age of fifty-six years.
The next principal of the seminary, Rev. W. A. Hutchinson, though not of Pine Tree State birth, but a native of Delaware, did grand work from 1897 to 1898. He was a graduate of Dickinson College, Pennsylvania, and took postgraduate work at Chicago University and Harvard. He is now principal of the college preparatory school, Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
Rev. J. Frank Haley, who is now (1908) the able pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, at Brunswick, Maine, was principal at Bucksport from 1898 to 1900. His birthplace was Kennebunk, Maine, and he graduated from Wesleyan University in 1876, and spent the next four years in teaching in Bucksport Seminary. He afterwards joined the East Maine Conference, was for five years the presiding elder of the Bucksport district, and was a delegate to the General Conference in 1896. He is a man who had marked success in all his lines of Christian work.
Rev. Simpson P. Bender was principal of the seminary from 1900 to 1905, giving to it work of an excellent character. He was a native of Pennsylvania, and a graduate of Dickinson College, and of Drew Theological Seminary. He joined the East Maine Conference in 1892 and was stationed at Calais when he was called to the presidency of the seminary. He is now pastor at Elroy, Wisconsin.
This family is of English extraction, and many useful and prominent men of the name have been residents of New England. They were leading spirits in some of the coast towns for many years, filling various stations of trust. Arthur Bragdon Sr. was in Kittery as early as 1652. In a deposition given by him in York in 1665 his age was stated to be "about 67 years." He was called to fill many responsible positions in that old town. His son Arthur made his will in York in 1736, in which he states that he was "far advanced in years"; mentions his wife Sarah, an only son Thomas, and daughters named Sarah Johnson, Martha Lord, Tabitha Linscott, Bethia Leavitt, Love Sayer and unmarried Mary; grandchildren named Farnum. The will was probated May 5, 1743.
Samuel Bragdon, of York, "aged and crazy of body," made his will May 10, 1709, in which he mentions his wife then living, sons Samuel and Joseph "under age," and daughters Magdalin, Patience, Sarah and Ruth, to each of whom he gives "five-and-twenty shillings." He called Deacon Bragdon his "dear cousin" and appointed him "sole executor" of his estate. Inventory returned Jan. 6, 1712, two hundred and ninety-six pounds, eight shillings, no pence.
Another Arthur Bragdon removed from York to Scarborough about 1725 and spent there "the remainder of a long and useful life." He was one of the few to whom the name "Gentleman" was applied in old legal documents. Captain Solomon and Gideon Bragdon removed to Scarborough soon after, and their descendants have been numerous there and in Buxton, Limington, and other adjacent towns. Thomas Bragdon was treasurer of the county of York in 1667. A Captain Thomas was representative to the general court from York in 1749.
(I) William Bragdon, great-grandfather of Dr. Frederick Augustus Bragdon, was a native of Scarborough and settled early in Limington, becoming the head of the families of that name in the town. His wife's name was Sarah.
1. Amy, born Feb. 10, 1781.
2. Elizabeth, born June 30, 1783.
3. Sarah, born March 1, 1785.
4. Arthur, born June 6, 1787.
5. Susanna, born April 9, 1789.
6. William, see forward.
7. Edmund, born March 20, 1794.
8. Mehitable, born April 28, 1796.
9. Sewall, born July 6, 1798.
(II) William (2), second son and sixth child of William (1) and Sarah Bragdon, was born Dec. 30, 1791. He married Hannah Bryant.
Orrin, Sumner, Sarah, Susan, Louisa, John, James and George.
(III) George, youngest child of William (2) and Hannah (Bryant) Bragdon, born in Raymond, Maine, 1831, died in 1904. He was educated in the schools of Limington and in the Limington Academy, and was engaged in teaching until a short time prior to his death. His time was for the most part spent in the schools of Maine, Bath, Biddeford, Gorham, and other places. He was principal of a number of schools in which he taught and attained prominence in educational circles. He removed from Raymond to Limington and retained his residence in the latter place until his death.
His political affilliations were with the Democratic party, and at various times he filled town offices, among them being those of selectman and supervisor of schools.
He married Amanda Sawyer.
1. Frank A., a flour merchant in Boston.
2. George C., engaged in the baking busines in Boston.
3. Lillian Bell, deceased.
4. Frederick Augustus.
(IV) Frederick Augustua, youngest child of George and Amanda (Sawyer) Bragdon, was born in Limington, Maine, Oct. 28, 1858. His education was acquired in the public schools of Limington, the Limington Academy and at Bowdoin Medical College, from which he was graduated in June, 1883. In July of the same year he established himself in the practice of the medical profession, in which he has been successfully engaged since that time. He practiced ten years in Shapleigh, Maine, and in 1893 removed to Springvale, where he has since resided.
He is a member of the Maine Medical Society and the Maine Academy of Medicine. He is an attendant at the Baptist church. His fraternal affiliations are with the following: Springvale Lodge, No. 190, Free and Accepted Masons; White Rose Royal Arch Chapter, of Sanford, Maine; St. Armand Commandery, of Kennebunk; Maine Council and Korah Temple, of Lewiston; Ossipee Valley Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Cornish, Maine; Riverside Lodge, Knights of Pythias, of Springvale. His earnest support is given to the Republican party.
He married, 1884, Nellie, daughter of Aaron Welch, of Sanford, Maine.
1. Blanche A., born Jan. 15, 1886, was graduated from the high school in Springvale and from Bates College; is now assistant principal at the high school in Springvale.
2. Lena B., born Sept. 2, 1887, was graduated from the Springvale high school and the Farmington Normal school; is now teaching in Gilbertville, Mass.
3. Florence E., born Sept. 10, 1892.
4. Frederick Ray, born Sept. 8, 1895.
5. Harry B., born Feb. 5, 1899.
The younger children are students in the Springvale schools.