Genealogical and Family History
STATE OF MAINE
Compiled under the editorial supervision of George Thomas Little, A. M., Litt. D.
LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
[Please see Index page for full citation.]
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
[Many families included in these genealogical records had their beginnings in Massachusetts.]
Colonel William Beale, progenitor, first appears at York, Maine, as early as 1653. He was from London, a partner in the firm of John Beex & Company. To this company Richard Leader sold his saw mills at Piscataqua, Oct. 5, 1653, a quarter to John Beex, of London, England, merchant; a quarter to Richardson, London, ironmonger; and a quarter (an eighth each) to Colonel William Beale and Captain Thomas Alderne. The other quarter he sold to Beex, Hutchinson and Alderne, Feb. 14, 1655.
Beale seems to have lived at York for a time, though we know little or nothing more about him. He was succeeded evidently by his son Arthur, mentioned below.
(II) Arthur Beal, son of Colonel William Beale, was born in London about 1620 and came to York, Maine, 1655. At an early date an entrance to York river was known as Beal's Neck. Arthur Beal bought a tract of land on York river near the habor, by deed, dated Nov. 9, 1674, near his other property. He was a fisherman by trade and owned a fishing shallop of six or seven tons burden, June 4, 1667, when he, Richard White and Mannering (or Mainwaring) Hilton, all of York, mortgaged their real estate and personal property to Francis Johnson, of Boston, for the sum of ninety-nine pounds, which was to be paid in fish, oil, macherel or staves (barrel staves). He signed with a mark that was very like a capital "D." His son Arthur used for his mark the capital letters "A" and "B" joined in a monograph, and through this difference in the signeatures we are able to distinguish the records of the two men. A bond dated Nov. 10, 1674, from Arthur Beale "Sr." indicates that the son was then of age. This bond was for fifty pounds for the purchase of a tract of land, to be paid for ten pounds in each year from 1675 to 1679. The Johnson mortgage was discharged Dec. 26, 1682.
1. Arthur, mentioned below.
2. William, mentioned below.
(III) Arthur (2), son of Arthur Beal, was born about 1650 probably at York, Maine. For many years he was a prominent man at York and owned much property about the mouth of the York River.
He married Anne ____, who was probably a Hilton. William Hilton calls Beal "a brother" when deeding March 6, 1681, land granted him by the town on the south side of the York river. Of course, Hilton's wife may have been Beal's siter. Beal deeded land April 6, 1683, twenty-one acres at Brave-boat harbor near the bridge, a town grant from York. Beal and Hilton deeded three acres of land on the York river, Jan. 16, 1698, to Daniel Black. According to a mortgage dated Dec. 1, 1699, to William Pepperell, Beal lived on the south side of the York river by the harbor mouth. Beal deeded land to his only son Edward Feb. 17, 1701 and finally all his lands at York including homestead April 17, 1711, shortly before his death. He deeded ten acres of land to William Pearse, and wife Mary, his daughter, Jan. 18, 1711, and to Elishua Alling and his wife Elizabeth, another daughter.
His will was dated Dec. 1, 1699, proved Oct. 2, 1711, and the inventory filed Sept. 3, 1711. He mentions Edward by name and other children.
1. Edward, mentioned below.
2. Elizabeth, married Elishua (or Elisha) Allen (or Alling).
3. Mary, married William Pearse.
(III) William (2), son of Arthur (1) Beal, as shown by the land in his possession alongside Arthur's on the south side of York river, was born about 1660-65. He married Jane Trafton, daughter of Thomas Trafton, of York, and sister of Zaccheus, Joseph and Thomas Trafton. He must have left York at the time of King Philip's war and probably took refuge at Ipswich, where his son Obadiah remained. This family may be related to William Beal, of Marblehead, who had a somewhat numerous posterity. He returned to York and when his son William was of age, Nov. 8, 1717, deeded to him ten acres on the northwest side of the lot on Fulling Mill brook extending to the Kittery line. Like all the others of the family mentioned above, whose signatures were found, he used a characteristic mark. In 1718 his son Obadish was of Ipswich, but he deeded him ten acres at Fulling Mill brook entending to the Kittery bounds in York, Oct. 11, 1718. William and his wife Jane deeded a seventh part of a tract on York river, originally granted to his wife's family, Trafton, adjoining Edward Beal's land (formerly his father's.) A deed dated April 13, 1722, William Beal to Zaccheus Trafton, states the relationship of the Traftons. Another seventh of this Trafton estate William Beal bought March 31, 1724. It adjoined the old Arthur Beal estate and extended to the Kittery line, and was some of the land deeded to his sons.
1. William, was of age in 1717, deeded land to Francis Carman, who married Abishag, sister of Beal.
2. Abishag, married Francis Carman.
3. Zaccheus, lived in Kittery in 1719.
4. Obadiah, removed from Ipswich, Mass., to York, about 1720; he was in Ipswich in 1718, when his father gave him a lot of land in York and was of York when he and his wife Mary deeded this lot, Nov. 4, 1726, to his sister Mary.
5. Mary, spinster, in 1726.
(IV) Edward, only son of Arthur (2) Beal, was born in York or some town in which the family took refuge during the war, about 1675. The property he received from his father is mentioned above. He had a grant from the town of York, May 1, 1695, laid out Jan. 16, 1699-1700, sold thirty acres on York river from this grant April 29, 1703, to Samuel Donnell.
Beal married, before 1703, Elizabeth ____.
He mortgaged land to William Pepperell in 1713 and the mortgage was discharged April 2, 1718. Beal bought twenty acres on the border of Godfrey pond, Jan. 26, 1717. He sold one hundred and forty-four acres of land at Beal's Neck, at the entrance of York river, Jan. 31, 1717-18. This was near Beal's home, as stated in the deed. Edward mortgaged his lands again in 1721-22. He and his wife deed ahouse lot of six acres on York river to their son Manerin (Mainwaring, named for Mainwaring Hilton, mentioned above).
1. Nocholas, given a house lot by parents Feb. 7, 1728, southwest side of York river adjoining the homestead.
2. Mainwaring, a mariner, born about 1700, bought land of Kent & Swett in York June 1, 1724, and received as a gift from parents Feb. 27, 1727-28, adjoining land given by his father to Stephen Greenlaef.
3. Wife of Stephen Greenleaf.
The family became well entrenched in York and York county. In the revolutionary war there enlisted form York alone Zacharish Beal, Josiah Beal, Joseph Beal, Joshua Beal and Matthias Beal, while to the adjoining town of Kittery was credited Henry and Joseph Beal, who probably resided near the line on the old Beal place.
(V) Zebulon Beal, grandson of one of these mentioned above, was born in York, July 29, 1754. He removed to Sanford, Maine, where he purchased land and carried on a farm.
He married Oct. 20, 1781, Lucy Boston, born July 4, 1760, died Nov. 27, 1841. He died in Sanford, Jan. 26, 1843.
Benjamin (mentioned below), Thomas, Woodman, Olive.
(VI) Benjamin, son of Zebulon Beal, was born in Sanford, Aug. 16, 1783, died there Feb. 6, 1866. He was a farmer and a brickmason by trade. He was a deacon in the Baptist church. He served in the war of 1812.
He married, 1807, Olive Hobbs, daughter of Sheldon and Ruth (Stilling) Hobbs, of Sanford, formerly of Berwick. Her father was a soldier in the revolution, and marched from Kittery when a boy with Captain Ford's company Nov. 5, 1775, and later was on the committee of safety in the war of 1812. He was son of Thomas Jr. and Mary (Abbott) Hobbs. Thomas Hobbs was also a soldier in the revolution, a town officer of Berwick for many years and an extensive land owner. He was son of Thomas Hobbs, of Dover, who later moved to Berwick, and Elizabeth Morrell Hobbs.
Children of Benjamin & Olive Beal:
1. Sheldon Hobbs, born Jan. 13, 1808, mentioned below.
2. Susan P.
5. Horace, born May 15, 1819, a mason by trade; married Phebe Plummer.
(VII) Sheldon Hobbs, son of Benjamin Beal, was born in Sanford Jan. 13, 1808, died in Avon, Maine, Jan. 10, 1875. He received his education in the schools of his native town. About 1832, with his wife and two children, he removed to Avon and purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in that part of Avon known as Mile Square. He settled here and engaged in farming the remainder of his life.
He married (first) in 1827, Tabitha Butler, born Dec. 19, 1810, died April 24, 1855, daughter of Nathaniel and Tabitha (Joy) Butler. He married (second) Nov. 16, 1856, Anna Winship, of Phillips, Maine.
Childre of 1st wife:
1. Nathaniel Butler, born March 7, 1828, mentioned below.
2. Wilson Concord, b. May 8, 1830.
3. Horace, b. in Avon, March 13, 1832.
4. Lewis, b. June 13, 1834.
5. Bradford, b. Aug. 4, 1836.
6. Shedon Hobbs Jr., b. July 12, 1839, died June 17, 1842.
7. Lura, b. Jan. 5, 1842.
8. Velora, b. Nov. 8, 1849.
9. Eldora, b. July 9, 1851.
Children of 2d wife:
10. Daughter, Feb. 14, 1858, died the same month.
11. Benjamin Franklin, June 21, 1859.
12. Albana Monteze, b. Aug. 23, 1861.
13. Eulalia, b. Aug. 6, 1863, died May 17, 1889.
(VIII) Nathaniel Butler, son of Sheldon Hobbs Beal, was born in Sanford, March 7, 1828, died March 28, 1899. He was brought up on his father's farm in Avon, whither they had moved when he was but three years old. When Nathaniel B. was ten years old he visited a neighboring farmer, who gave him a sack of apple pomace left from making cider. This pomace the boy carried home, a distance of four miles, and sowed the apple seed starting an apple orchard which proved a valuable and productive orchard in later years. At the age of twelve he went to work for a neighbor, John Wilbur, taking entire charge of his farm, and for a year doing the work of a man. He went to the public schools winters, being obliged to rise at four o'clock in the morning to do the work, and then walk a mile to the school house. He early formed the habit of total abstinence, rather unusual at that time, and never partook of liquor or tobacco during his life. At the age of nineteen he was employed by Deacon Oren Robbins, of Phillips Village, in his grist mill. Soon after his marriage he started in business for himself as a trader in general merchandise in Phillips Village. His health, however, compelled him to seek outdoor employment, and he went into the cattle business, becoming a drover. During the civil war and for many years afterward he helped to supply the Boston market with beef. He was active in building up of the town of Phillips, was one of its selectmen, holding the office for many years, and was deputy sheriff of the county. He was twice drafted for service in the civil war, but was unable to pass the physicial examination, and was thus prevented from serving in the army. He was instrumental in the forming of the Phillips Savings Bank and the Union National Bank, of which in 1875 he became president, and so remained until its charte expired in 1895. A year before the expiration of the charter a new bank was formed, the Phillips National Bank, and Mr. Beal was made its first president, retaining that office for twenty years. He was for many years a trustee of the Savings Bank. In 1879 he was one of the builders of the Sandy River railroad, and one of its first presidents, holding the office unil 1892. During the latter part of the time he was its superintendent also, and to him the successful construction is chiefly due.
In politics he was always a Democrat, a leader of his party in the northern part of Franklin county, though he was a believer in protection and sound money. He was twice nominated as representative to the general court, and once as senator and judge; but though he ran far ahead of his ticket, the district being strongly Republican, he was defeated. At one time, during the days of the Greenback party, three brothers were nominated from the same district on as many tickets, Nathaniel B. being the Democratic nominee, Wilson C. the Republican, and Bradford the Greenback. Wilson recieved the election.
He was very fond of music, and sang in the choir of the Free Will Baptist church for forty years, being also chorister many years. In religious belief he was a Universalist.
He married, in 1849, Mary Robbins, daughter of Deacon Orren and Mary (Huntoon) Robbins of Phillips. She was born Nov. 25, 1828, died May 9, 1902. Through her father's family, she was granddaughter of Mehitable (Ladd) Robbins, who was descended from Daniel Ladd, the immigrant, who came from London it the ship "Mary and John," sailing Jan. 30, 1633, and settled first in Ipswich, Mass., and later was one of the twelve original founders of Haverhill, Mass. The Ladds can be traced to the Earls of Ladd in Norway, A.D. 861. (See Chase's History of Haverhill.) They married into the royal families of Norway, Sweden and Denmark. One of them married Estrith, daughter of King Sweyn, of Denmark, and came with his brother-in-law, the Danish King Canute, to England, and there settled in county Kent. (See Pelton Genealogy, Wentworth Genealogy, Ladd Family, Thomas Butler and his Descendants, Huntoon Genealogy, Keary's History of Norway and the Norwegians, etc.)
Mary (Robbins) Beal's mother was granddaughter of Jonathan Huntoon, who was born in 1756, and married Hannah Chase, July 8, 1781. He served all through the revolutionary war and died at Wiscasset, Oct. 16, 1833. He was son of Samuel and Hannah (Ladd) Huntoon. Samuel Huntoon was born at Kingston, New Hampshire June 18, 1718, and died at Norringham, New Hampshire in May, 1796. He married, May 26, 1742, Hannah Ladd, daughter of Daniel and Mehitable (Philbrick) Ladd. He was a soldier in Captain Bullard's company, Colonel James Frey's regiemtn in 1775; he was son of John and Mary (Rundlet) Huntoon; married about 1716. John Huntoon died Dec. 8, 1778, and was son of Philip Huntoon, the immigrant, who married Betsey Hall, of Exeter, N. H. in 1687. Philip Huntoon was born about 1660 and died in Kingston, May 10, 1752. Mary (Robbins) Beal was also a granddaughter of Polly (Pelton) Huntoon, whose father, Joel Pelton, was born Nov. 5, 1753, in Somers, Connecticut. He served all through the revolution; was in Captain Clark's company, Colonel Obadish Johnson's regiment of militia; also in Captain Brigham's company, in the fifth regiment Connecticut Line under Colonel Isaac Sherman. He was one of the body guard of General Washington and spent the winter at Valley Forge and was present at the surrender of Yorktown. He married, 1791, Ann Cotter, daughter of Timothy Cotter, of Whitefield, Maine, and died in Madrid, Maine, March 7, 1856, aged one hundred and three years. He was descended from John Pelton, the immigrant, who came to Boston in 1630.
Children of Nathaniel B. & Mary Beal:
1. Fred Marshall, born April 24, 1855, died Jan. 12, 1857.
2. Minnie Geneva, b. May 20, 1858, married June 28, 1880, J. Watson Smith; resides at St. Paul, Minnesota; had children, Harold Beal and Mary Nathalie Smith.
3. Fred Nathaniel, mentioned below.
(IX) Fred Nathaniel, son of Nathaniel B. Beal, was born in Phillips, Maine, April 14, 1860. He was educated in the public schools of his native town. At the age on eighteen he began his career as a railroad man, as express messenger on the Sany River railroad, Maine, became conductor, then assistant superintendent, later superintendent, and is now general passenger and freight agent of the consolidated lines, which comprised six companies now known as the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes railroad. He resides in Phillips and is treasurer of the Phillips Building Company.
He is a Republican in politics and in religion a Universalist. He is a member of Blue Mountain Lodge, No. 67, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of Phillips.
He married, March 1, 1855, Ella Esther Harvey, born May 31, 1863, died June 15, 1893, daughter of B. B. Harvey, of Strong, Maine.
Children, b. at Phillips:
1. Hermia, b. July 29, 1889.
2. Ella Esther, b. May 2, 1893.