VITAL RECORDS OF SAUGUS MASSACHUSETTS
TO THE END OF THE YEAR 1849
THE ESSEX INSTITUTE
SALEM, MASS. 1907
[transcribed by Dave Swerdfeger]
The following record of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in the cemetery inscriptions; and in several private records found in family Bibles. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record, and to indicate the maiden name of a wife.
When places other than Saugus and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. In all records the original spelling of names is followed, and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings.
This town, originally a part of Lynn, was incorporated Feb. 17, 1815, retaining the Indian name by which this section had been known since the earliest settlement. On Feb. 22, 1841, a part of Chelsea was annexed.
The population of Saugus at different periods was as follows:
1850, 1552 ;