VITAL RECORDS of HAMILTON
to the end of the year 1849
Published byThe Essex Institute
Salem, Mass. 1908
[Transcribed by Dave Swerdfeger]
The following records of birth, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; in the church records; in the cemetery inscriptions; and in private records found in family bibles. These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been preserved. All duplication of the town clerks' record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets. Parentheses are used when they occur in the original record; also to indicate the maiden name of a wife.
When places other than Hamilton and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. In all records the original spelling of names is followed and in the alphabetical arrangement the various forms should be examined, as item about the same family may be found under different spellings.
The territory comprising the town of Hamliton was originally a part of Ipswich, known as the "Hamlet." The parish was incorporated Oct. 14, 1713 as the Third Church of Ipswich. The town was incorporated as Hamilton on June 21, 1793. It is said that the name was suggested by Rev. Manasseh Cutler, D.D., pastor of the church, who as a member of Corgress, had an acquaintance with Alexander Hamilton
The population of Hamilton at difference periods was as follows:
. 1830, 748