Relating To The Families Of Boston And Eastern Massachusetts.
Prepared Under The Editorial Supervision Of
William Richard Cutter, A. M.
Historian Of The New England Historic Genealogical Society
Librarian Of Woburn Public Library
Author Of "The Cutter Family," "History Of Arlington," "Bibloigraphy Of Woburn," Etc. Etc.
New York Lewis Historical Publishing Company
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
This name has been traced to the town of Spalding in Lincolnshire, England, a market town of about six thousand people, at this time. In the market place is a spa or spring of chalybeate water, and some have conjectured that this forms the foundation of the name. All the men of the name Spaulding, or nearly all, are and have been of strong physique. Another authority conjectures that the name is derived from 'spal,' an old English word meaning shoulder, and another old English word 'ding' meaning strike, and it is presumed that the early Spaldings were noted as 'shoulder strikers.' Be that as it may, the name has been borne in this country by many men of much worth and it has been distinguished in military and civic life in all sections of the United States. It has been computed that eighteen of this name participated in the battle of Bunker Hill, where one had his horse shot under him. it has been noted in medicine, in the ministry, in law and in extensive business concerns. Down to 1872 there were fifty college graduates.
[transcriber's note: at the top of this chapter the words 'for early generations see pgs. 954-955,' which means they must be in a volume before this one (which is III), but on Google Book Search I have yet to find it. However, that explains why the family below starts with generation IV. Rats.]
(IV) Henry Spaulding, oldest child of Henry and Elizabeth (Lund) Spaulding, was born Nov. 22, 1704, and died April 29, 1792, aged eighty-eight years. He was a member of Captain Robert Richardson's snow-shoe company in 1724, and was known in his native town as Colonel Henry Spalding.
He married, first, Feb. 1, 1725, Lucy Proctor, a descendant of Robert Proctor, one of the first proprietors of the town. She died June 1, 1742, and he married second, April 27, 1743, Marah Adams, a descendant of Henry Adams, the ancestor of the presidents of that name.
The five children by his first wife were Samuel, Lucy, Sarah, Henry and Abel.
Children by the seond wife:
Zebulon, Daniel, Mary, Thomas and Thankful.
(V) Daniel Spaulding, son of Henry and Marah (Adams) Spaulding, was born in Chelmsford, Mass., June 21, 1746, and died in Merrimack, New Hampshire in 1805. He was a young man when he went to live in New Hampshire and settled on a farm in Merrimack, but he was a sturdy man of about thirty years when he enlisted as a private in Lieutenant Daniel Sherwin's company of Colonel James Prescott's regiment and marched to Cambridge, Mass., April 20, 1775, serving ninety-eight days, until August 1, 1775. On Sept. 10, 1777, he enlisted in Captain Aaron Jewett's company of Colonel Samuel Bullard's regiment, marched to Saratoga, New York, and was in service until Nov. 29, 1777, two months nineteen days.
He was a prosperous farmer and accumulated a fair property for his family.
He married first, June 8, 1769, Hannah Putnam, and married second Mary Butterfield.
He had ten children, all born in Merrimack:
Sarah, Jonathan, Willard, Putnam, Benjamin, Solomon, Daniel, Mary, David and Sally.
(VI) Willard Spaulding, son and third child of Daniel and Hannah (Putnam) Spaulding, was born in Merrimack, New Hampshire, Feb. 10, 1773, and died there Jan. 1, 1854. He removed from his native town to Winslow, Maine, and thence to New Vineyard, Maine, where he died. The name of his wife does not appear, nor the date of their marriage, but he is known to have had six children:
Richard, Willard, John, Squire, Abigail and Kitty, born about 1797.
(VII) Willard Spaulding, second son and child of Willard Spaulding, was born in Maine about 1790, and died in Winslow, where his life was spent. He married Sarah Sanborn, who was born in Winslow and by whom he had five children:
Mary (now Mrs. William Smiley, of Lynn, Mass.
Rebecca, who became the wife of Nathaniel McIntire of Salem.
Colonel Thomas Stevens (1) was an armorer in Buttolph's Lane, London, England, who contracted with the governor and company in March, 1629, to supply arms for the Massachusetts Bay Colony. He was a member of the company and gave fifty pounds to the common stock.
Three sons and a daughter became settlers in the colony. He signed the instructions of Captain Endicott. Though the family was of Davonshire, he came to London, where his children were probably born.
1. Thomas, emigrated in 1660.
2. Richard, father of Samuel of Marlborough.
3. Cyprian, mentioned below.
4. Mary, married Captain Whipple, of London.
(II) Cyprian Stevens, son of Thomas Stevens, was born in London, England, about 1644-45. He sailed from London in 1660, and was at first a resident of Rumney Marsh, now Chelsea. He settled at Lancaster about the time King Philip's war broke out and had to find a safer place of residence for his family. He went to Sudbury.
He was given authority to receive an Indian child of six years, probably of a friendly tribe, whose father may have been serving in the English ranks. After peace was declared, he returned to Lancaster and was elected to various town offices.
He married, January 22, 1672, Mary, daughter of Major Simon Willard, the most prominent founder of Lancaster, by his third wife, Mary Dunster, relative of President Dunster of Harvard College.
1. Cyprian, born Nov. 22, 1672, at Lancaster.
2. Mary, married Samuel Wright.
3. Dorothy, died young.
4. Simon, mentioned below.
5. Elizabeth, born 1681.
6. Joseph, born 1683.
(III) Simon Stevens, son of Cyprian Stevens, was born at Boston, August 13, 1677. He married Mary Wilder in 1701. He owned the covenant at Marlborough and about 1708 removed to Lancaster.
1. Cyprian born about 1707, baptized at First Church, Lancaster.
2. Mary, born about 1707, baptized at First Church, Lancaster.
3. Simon, baptized May 30, 1708.
4. Nathaniel, baptized June 29, 1712, died young.
5. Nathaniel, baptized Oct. 9, 1716, mentioned below.
6. Dorothy, baptized Sept. 13, 1719.
(IV) Nathaniel Stevens, son of Simon Stevens, was born at Lancaster and baptized there Oct. 9, 1716. He removed to Marlborough about 1745 and to Warwick, Massachusetts about 1753, where he had in 1761, lot 26, originally granted to Samuel Clark in 1737, and afterward owned by John Morse.
He married, May 5, 1737, Mary Martin, born 1720, died 1804, aged eighty-four, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Gove) Martin.
Children, born at Marlborough:
1. Lucy, born Oct 1, 1745.
2. Nathaniel Gove, mentioned below.
3. Martin, settled in Vermont.
(V) Nathaniel Gove Stevens, son of Nathaniel Stevens, was born at Marlborough, April 7, 1752, died at Warwick, Apr. 13, 1832. He settled at Warwick, where he was living in 1790 and 1798. He was selectman six years, He early learned the trade of shoemaker, and was also a tanner, working at both trades. He had a large farm on the road from Warwick Centre to Northfield. September 20, 1797, he became a member of Harmony Lodge, No. 28, Free Masons, of Northfield, and was elected master in November, 1806. He was master also in 1807-08-11-12-14-15.
He served in the Revolution (Mass. Rolls, xiv, p. 960), in Captain Eldad Wright's company, Colonel Samuel Williams' regiment, Dec. 16, 1776 to March 19, 1777; also sergeant in Captain Moses Harvey's company, Colonel Woodbridge's regiemtn, Aug. 22 to Oct. 27, 1777.
He married, Nov. 10, 1774, Lois Stow of Marlborough, born Feb. 9, 1752-53, died at Warwick, June 3, 1813.
1. Lois, born Feb. 15, 1778, married March 18, 1810, ___ Belding of Northfield.
2. Abel, born Feb. 10, 1780.
3. Simon, born Feb. 28, 1782, died unmarried 1814.
4. Anna, born April 9, 1784, married, Oct. 9, 1811, Asa Stoughton of Gill. children: i. Mary Ann Stoughton, b. Dec. 31, 1812; ii. Samuel Stoughton, b. Feb. 10, 1815; iii. Charles Stoughton, b. Oct. 17, 1816; iv. Asa Alcott Stoughton, b. Aug. 23, 1819; v. George Harvey Stoughton, b. Oct. 27, 1821; vi. Nancy P. Stoughton, b. Jan. 23, 1824; vii. James Henry Stoughton, b. Feb. 26, 1827.
5. Nathaniel Gore, born Sept. 14, 1786, mentioned below.
6. Samuel, born Oct. 25, 1790, married first, _____; second, Sarah Corey, of Boston; third, ___ Brooks, of Salem. Children of first wife: Susan, marrried Dr. Lyon; Lucy, married Captain Corning; Joseph; Mary, married Samuel Haskell; Clara.
(VI) Nathaniel Gore Stevens, son of Nathaniel Gore Stevens, was born at Warwick, Mass., Sept. 14, 1786, died at Kenne, New Hampshire, Feb. 18, 1868. He attended the common schools of his native town, and learned the tanner's trade when young. He had a large farm of several hundred acres, containing valuable timer lands. He built a saw mill, and in the winter months cut and dressed timber. He had an extensive dairy in connection with his farm, and also erected a tannery, and buildings for his employees. He raised cattle which he drove to market in Springfield. He was considered a very successful farmer and business man. He owned pew No. 6 in the Unitarian church, buying it at the auction of the pews after the church was built. The price paid was twenty-eight dollars and a quarter as choice money. He and his wife were at first members of the Congregational Orthodox Church, but when the separation came, went with the Unitarians, and were hearty suppoters of the church. In politics he was a Whig, and took a keen interest in the affairs of the town.
He married, Nov. 25, 1813, Nancy Maria Stoughton, born Aug. 6, 1788, died Aug. 15, 1866, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Munn) Stoughton, of Gill.
1. Nathaniel Edwin, born Sept. 30, 1814, married Elizabeth Jones, of Warwick, and had two children.
2. Sarah Elizabeth, born May 2, 1816, married William McClanathan and had three children.
3. Lois Stowe, born March 28, 1818, died Feb. 17, 1908; married, at Warwick, Silas Speare, of Orange.
4. Charles Chandler, born May 10, 1820, mentioned below.
5. Samuel Stoughton, born May 27, 1822, died Feb. 15, 1830.
6. Nancy Maria, born June 11, 1824, died June 30, 1900; married, May 31, 1848, Otis Prescott Davenport, of Petersham; Children: i. Annette Maria Davenport, born March 19, 1849, married, Feb. 15, 1874, Frank Levi Winchester and had Frank Prescott Winchester, born Aug. 20, 1876, married June 30, 1898, Mary Evelyn Hobbs, of Hingham, and had George Kendall Winchester, Roger Arnold Winchester, born April 25, 1879, died Oct. 22, 1888, and George Sherman Winchester, born Feb. 21, 1882, died Apr. 26, 1883; ii. Eva Lois Davenport, born June 27, 1859, married Oct. 26, 1878, Isaac J. Dodd, of Devonshire, Bermuda, and had Ethel Davenport Dodd, born Jan. 28, 1880, died Dec. 3, 1901, married, June 30, 1901, Frederick Warren Cook, of Natick, Mass, Roy James Dodd, born Jan. 6, 1882, died Jan. 18, 1882, James Prescott Dodd, born Jan. 6, 1883, married, Apr. 12, 1905, Alice E. Caldwell, of Arlington, Vermont. Edna Maria Dodd, born March 29, 1885, died July 29, 1889, Harold Wellington Dodd, born Jan. 18, 1887, died June 18, 1887, Roger Wellington Dodd, born July 9, 1889, Sherman West Dodd, born Dec. 20, 1891, Helen Annette Dodd, born Sept. 27, 1894, Lavinia Eva Dodd, born Dec. 6, 1898.
7. Timothy Gilbert, born May 23, 1827, died Nov. 25, 1897, married Nov. 24, 1853, Mrs. Elizabeth (Arnold) Winchester, of Walpole, New Hampshire: children: i. William Nathaniel, born March 4, 1855, married first, June, 1887, Jane C. Watkins, of Walpole; second, Oct. 13, 1886, Catherine Moses, of Hoosick Falls, New York; William Earl, son of first wife, born May 28, 1878, married March 25, 1902, Stella I. Wellington of Walpole, and had Alice Charlotte, born June 7, 1904, and Bernice, born Dec. 8, 1907; children of second wife: Mary Elizabeth, born Sept. 28, 1887, died June 21, 1890, Nathaniel Edwin, born March 4, 1889, died June 29, 1890, John Haskell, born June 19, 1891, died March 16, 1896, Catherine Lois, born July 28, 1892, died March 20, 1896, Ruth, born Nov. 30, 1897, Helen Jeanette, born Nov. 16, 1900, Naomi (twin), born and died March 19, 1903, and Anna (twin), born March 19, 1903, died Dec. 23, 1903; ii. Josephine, born Jan. 12, 1857, died March 10, 1874.
8. Samuel Stoughton, born Aug. 25, 1829, died June 20, 1905; married, Nov. 27, 1856, Marcia Lamberton, of Ware; children: i. Anna Maria, born July 18, 1860, married Sept. 9, 1879, Highland Carpenter; children: Warwick, born July 7 1880, married Aug. 1, 1905, Jean Simmons; Harold, born Feb. 25, 1882; Samuel, born March 10, 1884, died May 4, 1895; Marcia, born May 29 ,1886; ii. Lois, born Jan. 16, 1863, married, Sept. 18, 1889, Arthur B. Cobden, of Lansingburg, New York, and had Allen Stevens Cobden, born Nov. 22, 1893; iii. Frank Lamberton, born Oct. 28, 1864, married, Feb. 20, 1889, Frederika W. Wallich and had Lois Wallich, born Dec. 18, 1892, Christina Schaeffe, born June 30, 1897, and Samuel Stoughton, born Sept. 2, 1902; iv. Fred Nathaniel, born Jan. 3, 1868, married, Jan. 27, 1892, Julia Wallich and had Frederich Wallich, born Oct. 12, 1892, Carl Wallich, born June 24, 1894, and Marcia Lamberton, born Nov. 11, 1906; v. Lucy, born August 5, 1870, died April 4, 1873.
(VII) Charles Chandler Stevens, son of Nathaniel Gove Stevens, was born at Warwick, May 10, 1820, died at West Medford, March 23, 1900. He received his education in the district schools and academy. Bishop Huntington, of New York, was one of his teachers. He supplemented his schooling by private study and was always a constant and thoughtful reader. In his youth he worked on his father's farm and in the tannery, and later he learned the trade of currier and tanner. He worked in the leather business in Boston for a time, then returned to Warwick to engage in the tanning business on his own account. His place of business was about two miles from his father's farm, located on the road from Warwick Center to Wendell Depot. He sold his business afterward to his brother, Edwin, who continued it for a number of years. In 1855 he entered the employ of a leather concern in Boston, and made his home in Charlestown; during the winter of 1859-60 he traveled for a Boston shoe firm principally through the Southern states. He removed his home in 1858 to West Medford, where he lived the remainder of his life. Soon after this he engaged in business in partnership with Charles M. Barrett under the firm name of C. C. Stevens & Barrett in the hide and leather business. The place of business of this firm was first on Blackstone street, Boston, later on Purchase street. The name was changed to Stevens & Company, upon the retirement of Mr. Barrett, who was succeeded by Mr. Turnbull, of Stoneham, Mass. In the great fire of 1872 in Boston, the firm was burned out, but business was resumed and continued four years. After the firm was dissolved, Mr. Stevens became associated with Joseph Allerdice, of Indianapolis, Indiana, in the purchase of hides in the Western states. The establishment of the great beef-packing companies in Chicago, Kansas City and other western points made the west the centre of the hide and leather business also. Mr. Stevens had his office in Boston, selling the hides he bought in the west to the tanneries of Woburn, Winchester, Stoneham, Roxbury and elsewhere in the shoe-making territory of New England.
His son George was a partner of Mr. Allerdice in the west. Mr. Stevens retired from business about eight years before he died. He owned a twenty-acre place on North Street, at Medford Hillside, kept an excellent dairy and supplied milk to the neighborhood. He was also an owner in the Hereford Livestock Company, operating a ranch about fifty mies from Miles City, Montana, and was president of the corporation.
In early youth he attended the Congregationa (Orthodox) church at Warwick, later with the members olf the family joining the Unitarian church which seceded from the old society In later years he attended the Baptist church of Medford and was a member of its standing committee. He was generous in contributing to the funds of that church and its benevolences, especially the building fund. He was interested in public affairs, and was an earnest Republican, and never failed to vote, though he did not care for public office himself. He was a member of the Mystic Valley Club, a social-political organization of men interested in maintaining good government and encouraging good citizenship. He was absolutely upright and honorable in business. He was a man of his word, and always made good his promises and agreements. He had the respect and confidence of his neighbors and townsmen, as well as his family and business associates and employees.
He married, Nov. 30, 1848, at Boston, Nancy Matilda Bowers, born Nov. 29, 1822, at Rindge, New Hampshire, died at West Medford, Jan. 10, 1908, daughter of James and Polly (Rand) Bowers, of Rindge, New Hampshire.
1. Estella Matilda, born Sept. 10, 1849, at Warwick.
2. Charles Franklin, born March 16, 1851, died June 13, 1860.
3. George Gove, born at Warwick, Dec. 7, 1853, died at Indianapolis, Jan. 20, 1894; married Oct. 27, 1881, Julia M. Stanclift, of Kalamazoo, Michigan; children: i. Nancy Bowers, born Sept 8, 1882, died March 22, 1885; ii. Esther Stuart, born Jan. 6, 1885; iii. Charles Chandler, born July 7, 1886; iv. Samuel Stanclift, born Feb. 17, 1889.
4. Edwin Eastman, born Aug. 11, 1856, married, Oct. 4, 1882, Clara Sears Brownell; children: i. Helen Brownell, born April 15, 1884; ii. Walter Lockwood, born May 29, 1886.
Ebenezer Stocker (1), was of Lynn, Mass. as early as 1674, when he married Captain Marshall's daughter Sarah. This is the first definite mention of his name in colonial history, although there is ground for the belief that he was a son of Thomas Stocker, who was a tenant on the Cogan farm in Rumney Marsh, Chelsea, in 1640, road surveyor in 1652 and 1654, and constable of Rumney Marsh district in 1661. His name and that of his son Thomas appear on the Rumney Marsh tax list of 1674, and both the elder Thomas and his wife Martha were members of the church in Lynn about that time. The records show that by wife Martha Thomas Stocker had a son Thomas and a daughter Elizabeth, and it is probable that they also had sons Samuel, who married Mary Witt in June, 1665, Daniel, who married Margery Salmon in 1672, and Ebenezer of whom mention has been made and who is the earliest known ancestor of the family treated in this place.
Ebenezer Stocker married, July 15, 1674, Sarah Marshall, born Feb. 14, 1655, daughter of Captain Thomas Marshall, who was one of the leading characters in early Lynn history. He came to Lynn in the ship "James" of London in 1635, and soon afterward was admitted freeman. Later he returned to England and fought under Cromwell, who had him captain. He served several years in the army and then returned to Lynn "laden with military glory," as Mr. Lewis says in his "Annals of Lynn." He was representative to the general court six times and in Lynn kept a tavern on the west side of Sawyers river, where "with all frankness and hospitality of a firm old English gentleman he kept opne doors for the accommodation of the travelling public for more than forty years." He died Dec. 23, 1689, and his wife Rebecca died in August, 1693.
Ebenezer and Sarah (Marshall) Stocker had eight children, according to the published records, all born in Lynn:
1. Thomas, b. April 24, 1675.
2. Ebenezer, July 31, 1677.
3. Sarah, Dec. 11, 1679, died young.
4. Sarah, Feb. 22, 1680-81.
5. Samuel, Nov. 29, 1684.
6. Rebecca, July 29, 1687.
7. Martha, Jan. 13, 1689.
8. John, Nov. 13, 1693.
(II) Samuel Stocker, son of Ebenezer and Sarah (Marshall) Stocker, was born in Lynn, Nov. 29, 1684. He married, Nov. 13, 1711, Hannah Lewis, b. Jan. 22, 1685-86, daughter of John, Jr. and Elizabeth (Brewer) Lewis, granddaughter of John and Hannah Lewis, and great-granddaughter of William and Amy Lewis, of Lynn.
Samuel & Hannah (Lewis Stocker) had three children:
1. John, b. Feb. 15, 1713.
2. Joseph, twin, July 28, 1717.
3. Samuel, twin, July 28, 1717.
Possibly others whose names do not appear in the records.
(III) John Stocker, son of Samuel and Hannah (Lewis) Stocker, was born in Lynn, Feb. 15, 1713; married March 17, 1742-43, Ruth Breed, born Sept. 31, 1721, daughter of Joseph and Susannah (Newhall) Breed, of Lynn.
They had eight children, all born in Lynn:
1. Susannah, b. Sept. 1, 1744.
2. John, Sept. 7, 1746.
3. Ebenezer, Feb. 9, 1749.
4. Marchal (Marshall), March 27, 1751.
5. Martha, Jan. 11, 1753.
6. Ephraim, Jan. 7, 1756.
7. Jane, May 14, 1758.
8. Daniel, Feb. 7, 1761.
(IV) Captain Marchal of Marshall Stocker, son of John and Ruth (Breed) Stocker, was born in Lynn (one account says Salem), March 27, 1751, and was a mariner, having followed the sea many years and being one of the famous old masters for whom the port of Salem became noted previous to the century and a half ago.
He married Mary or Polly Burrill, who survived him and afterward married for her second husband a Mr. Harrington, who died, and she then married a Mr. Burrill.
(V) John Stocker, only son and child of Captain Marshall and Mary (Burrill) Stocker, was born in Salem, and was by trade a tailor. He lived for a time in Lynn and afterward removed to Beverly, where the later years of his life were spent and where he died.
He married, in Salem, Bethiah Johnson, who was born June 30, 1792, daughter of Micajah and Sally (Barry) Johnson, of Lynn. Micajah JOHNSON, b. Jan. 24, 1764, was a son of Edward Johnson, b. Aug. 16, 1721, and Bethiah (Newhall) Johnson, who married Oct. 3, 1744. Edward Johnson was a son of Jonathan and Sarah Johnson.
John & Bethiah (Johnson) Stocker had eight children:
1. John Marshall, born April 13, 1811.
2. Sarah Barry, born Oct. 21, 1813, married Nathaniel Masury, of Beverly and had George A. and Clarence Masury.
3. Charles Horace, born Lynn, Oct. 5, 1815, died in Beverly.
4. Martha Burrill, born Feb. 2, 1818, married Benjamin Raymond, of Beverly, and had William, Emma and two other, twins, who died in infancy.
5. Lucy Johnson, married Francis Eveleth, of Danvers, and had John F., Mary S., Abbie P., George, Horace and Lucy Eveleth.
6. Harriet, born in Beverly; married Joseph W. Stocker, of Charlestown, Mass., and had Maria, William H. and Nancy Stocker.
7. Rachel, born in Beverly and died there, unmarried.
8. Evelyn, born in Beverly and died there, unmarried.
(VI) John Marshall Stocker, eldest son and child of John and Bethiah (Johnson) Stocker, was born in Salem, April 13, 1811, but spent the early years of his young manhood in Beverly, where he attended public school and after leaving school learned the trade of shoemaking and shoecutting. About the year 1845 he went to live in Lynn and followed his trade in that city for many years, chiefly as cutter in which branch of work he was a skillful employee. Outside the factory he also enjoyed a large and favorable acquaintance in Lynn, served one term as member of the common council, and for many years was a prominent figure in city politics, always on the Republican side.
Mr. Stocker died in Lynn, March 25, 1900. He was a man of strictly temperate habits, at one time a member of a temperance society and always an earnest advocate of total prohibition. He was a charter member of the Park Club of Lynn, and a regular attendant at the services of the North Congregational Church, later a member.
He married first, in Beverly, Nancy Foster, of Beverly, and by whom he had three children.
He married second, Sarah J. Deaborn, wo was born in Newburyport, and died about 1860.
He married third, Mary A. Shaw, who was born in Lynn and now lives in Swampscott.
Children of John Marshall & Nancy (Foster) Stocker:
1. Harriet E., born in Beverly, married Henry P. Moulton, now dead, and had four children: Edith F., Susan P., Henry P. and John Richard Moulton.
2. Nancy G., born in Beverly, not married.
3. Samuel M., born in Lynn, died in Swampscott; married first, Elizabeth Hughes, of Chelsea, no children; married second, Fannie A. Gorham, of New Brunswick, by whom he had one child, Frances G. Stocker.
The bearers of this name in America are descendants from an old Hampshire, England, family of quality, and an inscription upon an ancient monument in the Winchester Cathedral records the fact that William Symonds, gentleman, who died 1606, was twice mayor of that city. Symonds and Simonds are of the same origin, the former being the ancient form of spelling. It is thought by some genealogists that the John Symonds mentioned below as having settled at Salem, Mass., in 1636, and was probably the same John Symonds who emigrated from England to Virginia the previous year.
(I) John Symonds, American ancestor of those of the name mentioned below, born in England, 1616, arrived at Salem, Mass. in the ship "Peter Bonaventure," in 1635. He was residing there in 1636, in which year he was grnted twenty acres of land. In 1637 he united with the church in Salem, and was made a freeman there the following year. A second grant of land was given him by the town in 1643. His occupation was that of a carpenter, and he acquired considerable property.
He died in the summer of 1671, as his will, dated June 16, was proved Sept. 19 of that year.
He married, in England, Elizabeth ____.
James, Samuel, Catherine, m. Jacob Towne; Ruth, m. Job Swinnerton.
(II) James Symonds, son of John, born in England, 1633, accompanied his parents to America in early childhood. He resided in Salem for many years, and died in Northfield, Mass. in 1714. He was admitted to the church in Northfield, June 28, 1713. His estate was inventoried at four hundred eighty-two pounds fifteen shilling three pence.
He married, in Salem, Nov. 20, 1666, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas and Mary Browning.
Mary, Ruth, John, James (died young), Elizabeth (died young), another James, Benjamin, Thomas, a second Elizabeth (died young), Joseph, Sarah, and a third Elizabeth (died young).
(III) John Symonds, son of James, born in Salem, July 8, 1666, died May 5, 1738. He married, March 5, 1710, Sarah Foster, born Nov. 27, 1678, dau. of Hon. John and Mary (Stuard) Foster, and granddaughter of John and Mary (Tompkins) Foster.
Children mentioned in the records:
John, James, Sarah and Thomas.
(IV) James Symonds, son of John, was born in Salem, April 2, 1717. Nov. 24, 1737 he married Mary, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Peters) Cloutman. Joseph CLOUTMAN was son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Story) Cloutman, and Mary PETERS was daughter of Richard and Bethia Peters.
Children of James and Mary:
Mary, Sarah, Hannah, John, Thomas and James.
(V) James Symonds, son of James and Mary (Cloutman) Symonds, was born in Salem about 1740. Dec. 22, 1763 he married Mehitable Putnam, b. Nov. 11, 1742, daughter of Archelaus and Methiable (Putnam) Putnam. She was a descendant in the sixth generation of John PUTNAM, founder of the Putnam family of Salem and Davners, through Nathaniel (2), Captain Benjamin (3), Deacon Nathaniel (4), Archelaus (5). Deacon Nathaniel Putnam married Hannah Roberts of Salem. Archelaus Putnam married his cousin Mehitable Putnam, dau. of Caleb and Silence (Phillips) Putnam.
James and Mehitable (Putnam) Symonds had three sons:
John, James and Jacob Putnam; also daughters whose names do not appear in the records.
(VI) Captain Jacob Putnam Symonds, son of James and Mehitable, was born in Salem, June 15, 1800, he married Rhoda Berry.
Stillman Lothrop, Nathaniel Putnam, and Phoebe, married ____ Southwick.
(VII) Stillman Lothrop Symonds, son of Captain Jacob P., born in Salem, April 14, 1809, died June 9, 1892. He married, March 5, 1837, Olive Gould LOVELL, born March 17, 1825, daughter of Joshua and Mary (Swain) Lovell. She was a descendant of Robert Lovell, born in England about 1695; embarked for New England at Weymouth in Dorsetshire with Rev. John Hull in 1635, and settled at Weymouth, Mass., where he died about 1672. He was accompanied to America by his wife Elizabeth and some of his children. According to the Weymouth records Robert and Elizabeth Lovell were the parents of five children: Ann, Zaccheus, John, Ellen and James. James Lovell, born in England about 1634, became a large land-owner in Weymouth and died there 1706. The Christian name of his first wife was Jane, and that of his second wife was Anna. Captain Enoch Lovell, son of James, was born in Weymouth, Dec. 29, 1670, and died there May 20, 1746. He was a man of wealth and influence. Nov. 24, 1697, he married Mary, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Reed, and she died May 5, 1745. Their son, Joshua, born in Weymouth, probably 1699, served as ensign in the militia. He died Nov. 24, 1763. He married first, July 15, 1727, Sarah, daughter of Joseph and Sarah Shoer, and she died March 22, 1733. Dec. 19 of the following year he married second, Betty Pratt. Joshua (2) Lovell, son of Ensign Joshua by the latter's first marriage, was born in Weymouth, Sept. 8, 1731, and died in 1756. He married Elizabeth Pratt, who died March 20, 1790; children: Samuel and Sarah. Samuel Lovell, born in Weymouth, Aug. 8, 1753, died in Hull, Mass., May 7, 1807, married Olive Gould, Feb. 20, 1777. Olive GOULD was born March 31, 1757, and died Aug. 25, 1844, daughter of Elisha and Experience (Loring) Gould; granddaughter of Joseph Gould, and on the maternal side of Samuel and Jane (Collier) Loring. She was a descendant of Lieut. Robert Gould, first of the name in America, also of Thomas Loring and Matthew Hanks, both early settlers in Hingham, Mass. Joshua Lovell, son of Samuel and Olive (Gould) Lovell, was born Aug. 10, 1777, and died Dec. 14, 1865. Dec. 27, 1801, he married Mary Swain, b. Aug. 30, 1782, d. Aug. 30, 1835, dau. of Charles and Jerusha (Gardner) Swain, of Nantucket, Mass.
Children of Joshua and Mary (Swain) Lovell:
1. Mary, married Mr. Studley.
2. James; 3. William; 4. Charles
5. Olive Gould, married Stillman L. Symonds, as previously mentioned.
6. Harriet, married a Mr. Burditt.
7. Sarah, married Mr. Bayard.
Stillman L. and Olive G. (Lovell) Symonds were the parents of three children:
1. Stillman F., cashier of freight department of Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroad, in Chicago, died April 4, 1904. He married Annie Vinal, of Boston, and besides a widow left one daughter, Ethel V., who resides in Chicago.
2. Emily A., married Charles W. Lord; one child, Olive A., died in Lynn, May 8, 1896.
3. Walter E.
(VIII) Walter Everett Symonds, son of Stillman L. and Olive G. (Lovell) Symonds, was born in Boston, Aug. 13, 1844. He attended the Boston public schools until reaching the age of twelve years, when he became a resident of Lynn, and after graduating from the grammar school in that city he was for one year a pupil at the Lynn high school. His early business training was acquired as a clerk in the dry-goods store of Henry Carleton, on Broad street, where he remained for a short time, and after severing his connection with that establishment he entred the employ of the shoe manufacturing firm of Benjamin F. Doak & Company as a bookkeeper. Here his business ability was given ample opportunity for development. The faithful discharge of his duties ultimately resulted in his admission to the firm, and he was associated with the above-named firm and its successors, Messrs. John S. Bartlett & Company, until the great fire of 1889, when the concern went out of business. From that time forward Mr. Symonds devoted his principal attention to financial affairs. June 9, 1900, he was elected clerk and treasurer of the Lynn Institution for Savings, also became vice-president of the Five Cents Savings Bank, and a director of the Security Deposit and Trust Company and The Essex Trust Company, serving in each of these positions for the rest of his life. His sterling integrity and other commendable characteristics made him eligile to various public offices of trust and responsibility. In 1891 he was elected a member of the board of aldermen, serving upon the committees on finance, accounts, claims, incidental expenses and elections. His other public services included the offices of clerk and inspector of precinct 1, Ward 4, commissioner of the municipal and dock sinking funds, and civil and service examiner, in all of which he displayed marked ability. From 1882 to 1888 he was a trustee of the Lynn Public Library and a member of its finance committee; was at the time of his death serving as treasurer of the Lynn Hospital, of which he had been a trustee for many years, and was also a trustee of the Lynn Home for Aged Women. For a period of thirty-five years he acted as treasurer of the First Universalist Church, of which he was a leading member; ws for about the same length of time librarian of its Sunday school, and served upon various important committees, including that which had charge of constructing the present beautiful edifice on Nahant street.
His club and society affiliations were with Pontiac Lodge, Independent Order of Good Templars; the Lynn Historical Society, the Chapin, Park and Oxford clubs, of which latter body he was vice-president. A man of generous and philanthropic impulses, he was ever ready to respond to the call of the needy, and those seeking advice and counsel, and his life of activity and usefulness should prove an inspiration to others in matters relative to charity and benevolence.
His death occurred in Lynn, April 4, 1906.
Nov. 9, 1870, Mr. Symonds married first, Anna Maria Warren, of Lynn, born Aug. 17, 1843, died July 19, 1901, daughter of Asa and Cynthia Pratt (Breed) Warren. Her paternal grandparents were John Morrill and Anna (True) Warren, and those on the maternal side were Jabez and Theodate (Hood) Breed. Asa Warren was born Dec. 2, 1809 (died April 2, 1860), and Cynthia, his wife, was b. Feb. 26, 1801 (died June 3, 1879). They were married Sept. 23, 1840.
Jan. 12, 1903, Mr. Symonds married second Mary A. Warren, born March 3, 1856, his first wife's sister, who with Mrs. Charles A. Collins (both Dec. 2, 1871, married Oct. 5, 1899) and Warren L. Symonds (born July 23, 1875, not married) - children of his first wife - survives him.