Personal Memoirs
Relating To The Families Of Boston And Eastern Massachusetts.

Prepared Under The Editorial Supervision Of
William Richard Cutter, A. M.

Historian Of The New England Historic Genealogical Society
Librarian Of Woburn Public Library
Author Of "The Cutter Family," "History Of Arlington," "Bibloigraphy Of Woburn," Etc. Etc.

Volume III.
New York Lewis Historical Publishing Company

[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]


In the records of the ancient town of Salem, New England, it is written that "John Glover married to Mary Guppey, by Major Hathorn the 2d January, 1660." This appears to be the earliest menton of the progenitor of a notable New England family whose members were descendants of the English ancestors.
John Glover died in May, 1695, and his will was proved May 13, of that year. He is believed to have been a son of Charles Glover, who came from England in 1630 and united with the First Church in Salem in full communion, June 10, 1649; but as there is no satisfactory proof of this relationship beyond supposition, our present narrative begins with Glover who married Mary Guppy, and had children:
1. John, born 29 6thmo., 1661, died November, 1736.
2. William, born March 15, 1663, died Dec., 1700.
3. Mary, born 1 3dmo. 1666; married Daniel Grant.
4. Sarah, birn 5thmo. 1668, died before 1737; married ____ Skinner.
5. Hannah, born 24 4thmo., 1670; married April 2, 1687, Peter (probably) Henderson.
6. Benjamin, born March 28, 1674.
7. Jonathan, born in April, 1677.
8. Ebenezer, born April 13, 1685; married Sept., 1706, Rebecca Stearns.

(II) Jonathan Glover, son of John and Mary (Guppy) Glover, born April, 1677, died March, 1736. He married, March 31, 1697, Abigail Henderson, born in October, 1676.
1. Abigail, born Nov. 23, 1698; married March 1, 1722, William Meservey.
2. Mary, born Jan. 18, 1701; married April 26, 1723, "Zach" Burchmore.
3. Jonathan, born Dec. 14, 1702.
4. Benjamin, born Sept. 7, 1704, died July, 1755; married April 6, 1727, Susannah Needham.
5. Joseph, born June 27, 1706, died Dec., 1747.
6. David, born Jan. 9, 1708, died 1746, leaving a son David, born 1734.

(III) Jonathan Glover, son of Jonathan and Abigail (Henderson) Glover, born Dec. 14, 1702, died in August, 1737. He married Feb. 23, 1726-7, Tabitha Bacon, of Salem, born 1709, died in Marblehead, March 7, 1785. She survived her husband and married second, Thomas Jillings, of Newbury.
Children of Jonathan & Tabitha (Bacon) Glover:
1. Jonathan, twin, born June 13, 1731; married Oct. 10, 1748, Abigail Burnham, of Marblehead.
2. Samuel, twin, born June 13, 1731, died 1762; married Aug. 20, 1751, Mary Andrews, of Marblehead.
3. John, born Nov. 5, 1732.
4. Daniel, born January, 1734; married Dec. 1, 1757, Hannah Jillings, of Newbury.

(IV) General John Glover of Marblehead, third son of Jonathan and Tabitha (Bacon) Glover, was born in Salem, Nov. 5, 1732, was baptized in the First Church there Nov. 26, 1732, and died in Marblehead, Jan. 30, 1797, thus closing a distinguished career in which he was one of the central figures in our American history.
With his brothers (Jonathan, Samuel and Daniel) John Glover removed from Salem to Marblehead when he was a young man, and there they engaged in various occupations. Jonathan was a hatter, Samuel a goldsmith, Daniel a blockmaker, and John a shoemaker. But John soon gave up shoemaking for fishing and was successfully engaged in that and other mercantile pursuits until the beginning of the revolutionary war. His brother Samuel was a captain in the service in the French and Indian wars, having command of a company of Joseph William's regiment during the year 1757, and in Jonathan Bagley's regiment from 1758 until the close of the struggle in 1763. The Marblehead records indicate that both John and Jonathan Glover held many offices of honor and trust in the town government of Marblehead and also were connected with several enterprises for the benefit of its inhabitants. In 1773, when an epidemic of smallpox created much anxiety among the people of Marblehead, Jonathan and John Glover were leading spirits in building a hospital on Cat island (afterward Lowell island) in Salem harbor for purposes of innoculation and isolation, permission for this purpose being granted them by vote of the town of Salem, Aug. 16, 1773. The Browns with others erected the hospital and maintained it at their own expense for more than a year. The proprietors of the hospital were Elbridge Gerry, John Glover, Azor Orne and Jonathan Glover.
The hospital project, however, had many opponents, and so bitter indeed was the feeling aroused in the controversy that the event became known in local history as the "Small Pox War." Threats were freely made that the proprietors would be made to feel mob vengeance, and in the emergency Jonathan Glover placed a loaded cannon in the hall of his house, threw open the doors and announced his readiness to receive the riotous elements; but the attack was not made, and in the spring of the following year, 1775, public attnetion was directed to more important events in another channel.
Previous to 1775 a regiment of militia, full one thousand strong, had been maintained in Marblehead, the town then standing second in Massachusetts colony in point of wealth. In that year the regiment was reoriganized, men and officers being enlisted for the continental service, fully armed and equipped, and John Glover was commissioned colonel. For many years he had seen military service, and the public and family records show that in 1759 he had held commissions as ensign of the Third Company of Foot Guard of Marblehead, under Captain Richard Reed, Esq., in Colonel Jacob Fowle's Essex county regiment; lieutenant in 1762 of Captain Azor Orne's company in Colonel Fowle's regiment; and captain of a company of foot in 1773 in Colonel Gallison's Essex county regiment. At the outbreak of the war Colonel Glover abandoned his extensive business interests and devoted himself with his whole energy to the patiot cause, giving freely and largely of his private fortune for the enlistment and equipment of men, the purchase of supplies for the continental army, and even turned his own vessels into privateers; and it is sufficient evidence of the high opinion in which he was held in his town that he should be chosen to command a regiment which comprised the "flower" of Marblehead. And subsequent events justified the selection, for hs regiment and the Fourteenth Continental, which was formed from it, at the new enlistment on Jan. 1, 1776, under his careful training became the best equipped, best disciplined, and in all respects the most efficient corps in the army.
In May, 1775, Colonel Glover's regiment was transferred from the militia to the continental service, and in June was ordered to march to Cambridge and report to General Ward, and there became the Twenty-first regiment, afterward known as the "Marine" regiment. In October, Colonel Glover, at the request of Washington, took charge of the work of equipping and mannning the armed vessels and cruisers which did such valuable service during the early part of the war, and from the latter part of that year until July 20, 1776, he was stationed with his regiment at Beverly, then left for active service in New York, arriving there Aug. 9 and was assigned to General Sullivan's brigade. He took part in the battle of Long Island, and when Washington decided to evacuate, Colonel Glover's men were assigned the duty of manning the vessels and boats for transporting the army to the New York side. On Sept. 4 Colonel Glover was placed in command of General Clinton's brigade, and ten days later with his own brigade directed the evacuation of New York city, then checked the British advance by engaging and twice repulsing a vastly superior force at Westchester before retiring to a strong position in the rear of the provincial army. Thus to General Glover fell the honor of having been the first commander to resist the landing of a British army on the mainland of America, and for this gallant action he was warmly commended by General Lee.
But it is not our present purpose to enter upona detail of events of Colonel Glover's military career, for history records his achievements, his bravery and unswerving devotion to the cause of American liberty - a cause in Colonel Gallison's Essex county regiment. At the outbreak of the war which from its beginning to its final full attainment he was a conspicuous figure and an important factor. On Feb. 21, 1777, by resolution of congress, he was advanced to the rank of birgadier-general, and this promotion had been won by him on fields of battle from White Plains in the latter part of 1776, when his brigade withstood the attacks of a British army of perhaps twelve thousand men and compelled the enemy to retreat, through the disastrous experiences in New Jersey with Washington's army, the crossing and recrossing of the Delaware and the successful attack upon the king's army at Trenton, just before which, when the American commander called for volunteers to recross the Delaware, Colonel Glover was the first officer to answer "all ready." He had not sought the honor pf promotion which congress conferred on him, and indeed he at first declined it, in part because of his native modesty and a reluctance to assume a higher rank, and in greater part because of his anxiety concerning the comfort of his family at home, for he had made great sacrifices of his means and property that his regiment might be properly equipped for service. Soon after the battle at Trenton he had returned to Marblehead for the purpose of attending to his private affairs, and while there he discovered the real need of his remaining at home, where were his wife and their eight children, the eldest only fifteen years old.
When Washington received the news of Colonel Glover's determination, that great commander was deeply touched, and in a letter of answer said, "I put your name down on the list of those whom I thought proper for the command and whom I wished to see preferred. Diffidence in an officer is a good mark, because he will always endeavor to bring himself up to what he conceives to be the full line of duty; but I think I may tell you without flattery that I know of no man better qualified than you to conduct a brigade. You have activity, industry, and as you very well know the duty of a colonel, you know how to exact that duty from others." * * * * "When you consider these matters I hope you will think no more of private inconveniences, but that you will with all expedition come forward and take that command which has been assigned to you. As I fully depend upon seeing you, I shall not mention anything that has passed between us upon this subject to the congress." Immediately upon receipt of this letter Colonel Glover accepted his promotion and rejoined the army at Peekskill, June 14, 1777, taking command under Putnam, later with his brigade reinforced Schuyler, and still late took parta in the operations preceding Stillwater and Saratoga, and also had an important part in the first decisive defeat of the British during the revolution, when Burgoyne surrendered to General Gates.
To General Glover was assigned the honor and responsible duty of guarding the British prisoners and marching them from Saratoga to Cambridge, Mass. In 1778 he took part in important operatiions in Rhode Island, particularly the battle at Newport, where the enemy was defeated, and later was placed in command of the Department of Providence.
In January, 1779, General Glover requested Washington to relieve him of further military duty, urging as the basis of his request "a sense of paternal duty and regard I owe my little flock," but instead the congress passed a resolve that "sensible of Brigadier General Glover's past merits, and in expectation of his future services, direct the commander-in-chief to indulge him with a furlough for such time as may be necessary to settle his private affairs." But he was again in the field in July, 1779, under Washington's orders to march his brigade from Providence to co-operate with the militia in the regions along Long Island sound. Afterward his command wintered at Ridgefield under Howe and in June, 1780, went to Springfield, Mass., thence to West Point in September, and there through a letter from his brother was informed of Anold's "most infernal plot." He was a member of the court martial before whom Andre was tried and was officer of the day when he was executed.
General Glover was with the army until the spring of 1782, and at that time his health had become greatly impaired by arduous service and constant exposure: and on July 22 following he was "on account of his ill health placed on the half pay establishment" provided by congress.
He lived in Marblehead until his death, Jan. 30, 1797. He was a member of the state convention in 1788, and his vote is recorded in favor of the federal constitution.
On Oct. 30, 1754, General John Glover married Hannah Gale, of Marblehead.
1. Captain John, born March 23, 1756; married Fanny Lee.
2. Hannah, born May 15, 1757, died in infancy.
3. Daniel, born April 8, 1759, died in infancy.
4. Hannah, born April 19, 1761; married Richard Cowell and had Richard, John, Rebecca, William, Ovid, Hector and Hannah Cowell.
5. Samuel, born Dec. 19, 1762; married first, Martha Bowden; second, Betsey Skillings, and had Jonas, Eliza and Samuel.
6. Jonas, born April 1, 1764; married Sally Pierce, and had John, Hannah and Sally.
7. Tabitha, born Dec. 8, 1765; married William Brooks, of Exeter.
8. Susannah, born March 27, 1767; married Captain Nicholson Broughton.
9. Mary, born Jan. 8, 1769, died April 14, 1850; married Dec. 11, 1788, Robert Hooper and had Robert, John (died young), John, William, Mary, Nathaniel (died young), Susan, Henry, Nathaniel (died young), Nathaniel, Samuel, Hannah and Benjamin Franklin Hooper.
10. Sarah (called Sally), born Feb. 10, 1771; married first, Samuel Lewis, second, Nov. 2, 1794, Walter Phillips.


Christopher Goodwin, immigrant ancestor, was born in England in 1618 and died Jan. 22, 1683. He came to this country before Aug. 9, 1656, when he was admitted to the Charlestown, Mass. church. He was a mason by trade. He was living in Charlestown in 1675; was admitted a freeman in 1677. He bought a place of Pierce Harrison, located on the raod to the ferry. He deeded land to his sons Christopher, Timothy, Nathaniel, John and other children. His gravestone may be seen in the old burying ground.
He married Mary Crouch who was the daughter of William Crouch.
1. Nathaniel.
2. Christopher, Jr., deposed that he was thirty-five years old in 1682; mason by trade, living in Charlestown; wife Mary died July, 1678.
3. John, mason, of Boston; married Martha ____.
4. Elizabeth, born March 13, 1659.
5. Timothy, baptized June 8, 1662, mentioned below.
6. Mary, born April 30, 1676 (twin); married William Brown.
7. Hannah (twin), born April 30, 1676.
8. Mercy, born June 6, 1680.

(II) Timothy Goodwin, son of Christopher Goodwin (1), was born in Charlestown, Mass., and baptized there June 8, 1662, a few days later. He received a gift of land from his father in 1683 and again in 1688. He was a mason by trade.
He married, Feb. 7, 1688-89, Sarah (Waldron) Leach, daughter of John Waldron and widow of John Leach.
Child (b. in Charlestown by 1st wife):
1. Timothy Jr., baptized April 24, 1664.
Perhaps others.
Children of 2d wife:
Four were baptized April 29, 1694, at Marblehead, Mass., whither he removed.
2. William, mentioned below.
3. Christopher
4. John
5. Mary
6. Nathaniel, baptized at Marblehead Aug. 15, 1697.
7. Samuel, baptized Dec. 24, 1699.

(III) William Goodwin, son of Timothy Goodwin (2), was born about 1687-88 and was baptized at Marblehead, April 29, 1694. He married Jean ____.
Children, bap. at Marblehead:
1. William Jr., mentioned below.
2. John, baptized Aug. 17, 1718.
3. Hannah, baptized Feb. 21, 1719-20.
4. Jane, baptized Feb. 10, 1722-23.
5. Thomas, baptized Feb. 10, 1722-23 (twin of Jane).
6. Sarah, baptized July 11, 1726.

(IV) William Goodwin, Jr., son of William Goodwin (3), was born in Marblehead ad died in 1784. He married, Sept. 24, 1741, Hepsibah Phillips, who was baptized Feb. 26, 1722-23, and died in 1808. She was the daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth Phillips.
Children, b. at Marblehead:
1. William, bap. Nov. 7, 1742, died young.
2. John, mentioned in next paragraph.
3. Jonathan, baptized May 10, 1747.
4. Jean, baptized April 8, 1750.
5. Mary, baptized Oct. 8, 1752.
6. Hannah, baptized March 16, 1755.
7. Susanna, baptized Sept. 4, 1757.
8. William, born Dec. 7, 1760.
9. Ruth, baptized Jan. 8, 1764.

(V) John Goodwin, son of William Goodman, Jr. (4), was baptized at Marblehead, Feb. 3, 1744-45. He was a soldier in the revolution, sergeant in Captain Francis Felton's company of Marblehead in 1775, defending the seacoast; also in 1776 in the same company on the same duty and first lieutenant of Captain Nathaniel Lindsay's company, Colonel Timothy Pickering Jr.'s regiment raised by Brigadier-General Michael Farley, ordered to march to Danbury, Conn. via Providence in 1776; also first lieutenant of Captain Lindsay's company in 1776-77, sent to reinforce the Continental army.
He died at Marblehead, Nov.2 3, 1828, aged eighty-four years.
He married, Aug. 31, 1769, Mary Proctor, born June 24, 1744, daughter of Joseph and Priscilla Proctor.
Children, b. at Marblehead:
1. Sarah, bap. Oct. 21, 1770; married Jan. 22, 1792, Thomas Brown.
2. John, bap. April 4, 1773.
3. William, bap. Jan. 7, 1776, mentioned below.
4. Joseph, bap. Jan. 31, 1779, married Jan. 24, 1802, Rebecca Harris.

(VI) William Goodwin, son of John Goodwin (5), was baptized at Marblehead Jan. 7, 1776, and died before May 28, 1826. He was a carpenter by trade, living at Marblehead. He married Jan. 22, 1801, Sarah Reynolds, bap. July 16, 1780, died Sept. 8, 1830, at Marblehead, daughter of William H. and Sarah Reynolds. William Goodwin was known also as William Allen Goodwin. He was called "jr." as late as 1814, however.
1. William, bap. Dec. 6, 1801.
2. John, bap. Jan. 20, 1805; married Feb. 8, 1831, Sarah H. Orne.
3. Hooper Reynolds, mentioned below.
4. Joel Smith, bap. Oct. 20, 1811, married Oct. 28, 1844, Mary A. Howe.
5. Joseph, bap. May 8, 1814.
6. Phillip, bap. Sept. 21, 1817, married March 9, 1842, Sally Thompson.
7. Jacob Hooper, bap. Oct. 1, 1820, married Jan. 29, 1846, Charlotte Eastland.
8. Samuel, bap. May 28, 1826.

(VII) Hooper Reynolds Goodwin, son of William Goodwin (6), was born 1808, bap. Jan. 31, 1808, at Marblehead. He was a carpenter by trade. He married Nov. 27, 1834, Miriam F. Smith.
Children, b. at Marblehead:
1. Francis Hooper, born Dec. 13, 1836.
2. William, Oct. 15, 1842.
3. Charles Henry, mentioned below.

(VIII) Charles Henry Goodwin, son of Hooper Reynolds Goodwin (7), was born at Marblehead, Oct. 31, 1849. He was educated in the glove and hosiery business in Boston for a number of years, and after closing out this business was for many years a traveling salesman. In politics he was formerly a Republican, later a Democrat, but mainly an Independent. An active member of the Unitarian church, being on the parish committee.
He died May 11, 1905.
He married Anna Broughton Allen, born June 27, 1850, daughter of William ALLEN, who was born in Marblehead in 1814, son of William Allen, a native of Marblehead, son of William Allen who was born in England and who came to America when eighteen years of age, later settling in Marblehead, Mass. William Allen, grandfather of Anna Broughton (Allen) Goodwin, adopted a seafaring life which he followed for many years, but the last years of his life were spent at shoemaking. He made his home at Marblehead, where he died at the age of fifty years. William Allen, father of Anna Broughton (Allen) Goodwin, followed the shoe business, spending his life in Marblehead, where he died in 1861 at the age of forty-five. He married Tabitha Proctor, who was born at Marblehead Oct. 16, 1816, and who is still living (1908) aged ninety-one years, making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Goodwin. John PROCTOR, father of Tabitha (Proctor) Allen, was born in Marblehead where he followed the fishing business. He was taken a prisoner in the war of 1812 and was taken to Dartmouth, England, where he was confined in prison some seventeen months. He spent his last years at Marblehead, dying at the age of eighty-seven. Tabitha (Proctor) Allen is a descendant of Captain John POWERS, who served in the navy during the revolution, and after his death his widow received a prize of seven hundred dollars. William and Tabitha (Proctor) Allen had six children, five of whom are living, namely: Rebecca P. Atkins, of Camebridge, Mass.; William; Archibald K.; Anna B., who married Charles H. Goodwin; Louis, of Marblehead.

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Henry Goodwin had the following children:
1. Annie Florence, born June 13, 1869, married John Homan.
2. Charles, mentioned below.
3. Henry Allen, mentioned below.
4. Russell, born Jan. 23, 1884.
5. Hooper Reynolds, Dec. 5, 1891.

(IX) Charles Goodwin, son of Charles Herny Goodwin (8), was born at Marblehead, July 5, 1871. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, and began his business career as a clerk in the house of Rousmaniere, Williams & Company of Boston, dealers in shoe findings, as a clerk and followed this for a number of years. Shortly after entering the business he became a traveling salesman and represented different firms up to 1900 when he became a partner with W. A. Shultz, dealing in shoe findings and supplies used by manufacturers of boots and shoes. This continued until 1904 when it became an incorporated company under the tiel of Shultz, Goodwin Company, Mr. Goodwin being made president. Their place of business is at No. 31 Lincoln street. Boston.
He is a member of Philanthropic Lodge of Free Masons, of which he is past master; Washington Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Salem, and holds the office of most excellent high priest; Salem Council, Royal and Select Masters, of which he is president thrice illustrious master; Winslow Lewis Commandery, No. 18, Knights Templar. He has taken the Scottish Rite degree up to and including the thirty-second; is a member of Aleppo Temple, Mystic Shrine, of Boston, also member of Boston Yacht Club.

(IX) Henry Allen Goodwin, son of Charles Henry Goodwin (8), was born at Marblehead, Mass., Sept. 15, 1875. He was educated in the public schools of his native town and at Bryant & Stratton Business College, Boston. In 1892 he became a clerk in the wholesale leather house of J. Alston Newhall, Boston, where he remained until 1896, when he became salesman in the store of Treadwell Bos. & Clark, where he remained one year, when he entered the Salem Shoe Stock Company, with which concern he has since remained, in August, 1907, becoming one of the partners, their place of business being at Salem.
The residence of Mr. Goodwin is at Devereaux, near Marblehead. He is a Unitarian in religion and a Democrat in politics.
He married, April 6, 1898, May Reynolds, born in Marblehead, daughter of William and Elizabeth Reynolds.
1. Elizabeth, born Oct. 11, 1899, died Aug. 23, 1900.
2. Joel S., Dec. 18, 1900, died Nov. 26, 1906.
3. Beulah Field, Aug. 31, 1904.
4. Annah, Jan. 16, 1907.


The first immigrant of this family spelled his name John Gosse, or Goffe, and was at Watertown, Mass., before May 18, 1631, when he was admitted a freeman, but he left no sons and has no descendants of the name Goss. It is practically impossible in many cases to distinguish the Goss and Goffe families in the early records. [trans note: for one thing, an "s" was oft times written like an elongated "f".] A Robert Goss of Portsmouth in 1693, settled at Greenland, New Hampshire. Most of the central Massachusetts families of Goss are descended from Philip Goss, who was born about 1650. There is some reason to believe that he was related to the family given below.

(I) Edward Goss was of Marblehead prior to 1668, according to Savage, but lived and died without leaving many traces behind him. There is reason to believe he was the father of Richard Goss, mentioned below.

(II) Richard Goss, son of Edward Goss, was born in 1662 at Marblehead. He resided at Ipswich, across from Gloucester, or vicinity, and died Jan. 24, 1714-15, aged fifty-two years.
He married Mary ____.
1. Eleanor, married July 1, 1721, Thomas Rhodes, of Marblehead.
2. Thomas, married March 17, 1728, Patience Harraden.
3. John, born about 1700.
4. Richard, born 1711, baptized Jan. 6, 1711-12; resided in Gloucester.
5. William, baptized Aug. 1, 1714.

(III) William Goss, son of Richard Goss, was baptized Aug. 1, 1714, and died intestate, 1773. He settled in Marblehead, where his children were born. He married Rebecca ____.
1. John, baptized April 12, 1741; married March 4, 1770, Alice Maley.
2. Mary, baptized April 12, 1741; married Jan. 20, 1763, William Ashton.
3. Richard, baptized Feb. 13, 1743; married May 24, 1768, Hannah Vickery.
4. Deborah, baptized March 10, 1745; married May 24, 1768, William Tucker.
5. Joshua, baptized Feb. 21, 1748; mentioned below.
6. Sarah, baptized Nov. 25, 1750; married Dec. 26, 1771, Thomas Dolliber.

(IV) Joshua Goss, son of William Goss, was baptized Feb. 21, 1748, at Marblehead, and died May 29, 1814, aged sixty-six. He was in the revolution in Captain Francis Symond's company, Colonel John Glover's regiment, in 1775, and the same year as corporal.
He married, Dec. 27, 1768, Rebecca Necks, who died of lung fever May 3, 1829, aged seventy-eight.
Children, b. at Marblehead:
1. Joshua, bap. April 16, 1769; mentioned below.
2. Rebecca, bap. Sept. 29, 1771.
3. William, bap. April 10, 1774.
4. John, bap. July 7, 1776.
5. Molly, bap. Oct. 11, 1778.
6. Richard, bap. Sept. 28, 1783.
7. Deborah, bap. Nov. 20, 1785.
8. George, bap. April 27, 1788; died young.
9. George, bap. Feb. 6, 1791.

(V) Joshua Goss, son of Joshua Goss, was lost at sea from the vessel "Spitfire," of Boston, May 2, 1813. He married, Dec. 21, 1794, Mary Girdler. He had a son Joshua, mentioned below, and perhaps other children.

(VI) Joshua Goss, son of Joshua Goss, was born in Marblehead about 1800, and was a mariner. He married Oct. 15, 1826, Mary Roundey, at Marblehead.
Children, b. at Marblehead:
1. Joshua, Jan. 14, 1827.
2. Michael, Nov. 8, 1828, mentioned below.
3. Mary Jane, Oct. 18, 1831.
4. Hannah G., Nov. 8, 1834.
5. John R., Sept. 21, 1841.
6. Richard, Aug. 1, 1843.
7. Ezekiel, Sept. 6, 1845.

(VII) Michael R. Goss, son of Joshua Goss, was born at Marblehead, Nov. 8, 1828. He was a shoemaker. He married first, Mehitable Goodwin
1. George Simons, 1856, mentioned below.
2. James, married Abbie Dodd, one child, James H., m. Mildred Haws, of Swampscott, they reside in Cuba.
He married second, Martha Kimball
3. John R., married Nellie Humphrey; one child, Enid Goss.

(VIII) George Simons Goss, son of Michael R. Goss, was born at Marblehead, Jan. 12, 1856. He was educated in the public schools of his native town. When he was nine years old he began to work as errand boy in a shoe factory, and later became a clerk in Phillip's general store. He returned to the shoe business and worked as a laster for a few years, and his indomitable will and dynamic energy are still remembered by some of his early associates.
In 1872, shortly after his marriage, he entered into the provision business with his father-in-law, Daniel G. Wilkins, who for many years had conducted a provision business in Market square. Ten years later the business was much increased, Mr. Goss had purchased his partner's interest and added groceries to his business. At that time the firm was occupying a small one-story building on Pleasant street, near the corner of Bessom Street (or Factory lane). In 1899, always ambitious, far-sighted and progressive, Mr. Goss purchased the land at the corner of School and Pleasant streets, and proceeded to build a fine business block which he occupied up to the time of his death. He became one of the leading merchants, his store taking rank as the largest and finest in the town, and worthy to compare with similar establishments in the cities. Several years previous to this date he had bought the Chapman estate, at the corner of Pleasant and Bessom streets, and had built thereon one of the finest residences in town. Everything he did was carefully thought out and the plans once made were carried along with characteristic energy and method. He was ever an organizer, a lover of neatness and finish, and tolerated nothing careless or disorderly. His person, his premises and his extensive business establishment reflected this habit of his mind. Such conspicuous ability and faithfulness could not but attract attention, and in 1898 his fellow citizens chose him to serve in the office of selectman. He was chosen trutee of the Marblehead Academy, trustee of Marblehead Savings Bank, and later became a director of the Masonic Temple Building Association of Salem.
He was a staunch supporter of Freemasonry, and he provided quarters in his new building for Philanthropic Lodge, of Marblehead, of which he was a member and subsequently worshipful master; he also held the office of high priest of Washington Royal Arch Chapter, Salem; conductor of Salem Council, Royal and Select Masters, Salem; eminent commander, Winslow Lewis Commandery, Knights Templar, Salem; member of Sutton Lodge of Perfection, Salem; of Giles F. Yates Council, Princes of Jerusalem, Boston; of Mt. Olive Chapter Rose Croix, Boston; thirty-second degree member of Massachusetts Consistory, Boston; member of Aleppo Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Boston.
In relgion he was a Universalist, and a liberal contributor to the support of that church.
Mr. Goss married, Dec. 25, 1872, Etta Wilkins, born Feb. 12, 1855, daughter of Daniel G. and Martha (Ramsdell) Wilkins.
Children, b. at Marblehead:
1. George Everett, May 22, 1874, mentioned below.
2. Alice M., April 15, 1875.
3. Martha R., June, 1877, married Horace N. Salkins, of Marblehead.
4. Bertha, July, 1878, married Charles H. King, one child, Doris Goss King.
Mr. Goss died April 28, 1908, thus cutting short a successful career that held forth large promises for the future. His funeral services were conducted by Rev. Alfred Manchester, of Salem, assisted by Rev. Frederick Taylor, of Marblehead. There was music by the Weber Male Quartette. Full Masonic rites were conducted by Philanthropic Lodge, Washington Royal Arch Chapter, Salem Council and Winslow Lewis Commandery were present, and other Masonic bodies were represented.

(IX) George Everett Goss, son of George Simons Goss, was born at Marblehead, May 22, 1874. He was educated there in the public schools and at Bryant & Stratton's Business College, Boston. At the age of thirteen he began to help his father in the store, and he advanced step by step until his father gave him the general management of the business. When his father died he succeeded to the business and has conducted the store to the present (1908) time. He is a member of the Now and Then Association of Salem, and of the Retail Grocers' Association of Boston.
In politics he is a Democrat.
He married, March 27, 1892, Edith G. Lackey, born Aug.2 4, 1871, daughter of Frank and Sarah (Call) Lackey. They have one child, Alice Marion, born June 12, 1893.

Blind Counter