Relating To The Families Of Boston And Eastern Massachusetts.
Prepared Under The Editorial Supervision Of
William Richard Cutter, A. M.
Historian Of The New England Historic Genealogical Society
Librarian Of Woburn Public Library
Author Of "The Cutter Family," "History Of Arlington," "Bibloigraphy Of Woburn," Etc. Etc.
New York Lewis Historical Publishing Company
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
It is a source of profit and pleasure to study the characters and lives of those individuals who stand forth in bold relief as leaders in literature, in politics and in the stern competition and activity of business life. To the latter class belongs Charles C. Chase, a representative citizen of Haverhill, Mass.
Abel Chase, grandfather of Charles C. Chase, was born in West Newbury, Mass., 1800, died in Haverhill, Nov., 1891. In early life he was a grocer, but later engaged in the lumber business, conducting his opertions for a period of twenty years on Chase's wharf. He moved to Bradford in 1837, later to Mt. Washington, and subsequently to Haverhill, where he resided in different parts of the city. He was a Congregationalist in religion, and in the various duties devolving upon him performed his part faithfully and conscientiously.
He married Elizabeth Dole.
1. David D., an extensive lumber dealer of Haverhill, successor to D. D. & A. W. Chase Lumber Company, who were successors of Abel Chase.
2. Abel Washington, see forward.
3. Charles H., shoe manufacuturer, junior partner of firm Chase & Laubham.
4. Jane, married first, a Mr. Cook; second, Isaac Copp.
5. Hannah E., married Samuel Laubhan, a native of Germany, senior partner of the shoe manufacturing firm of Chase & Laubham.
6. Helen M., unmarried.
Abel Washington Chase, father of Charles C. Chase, was born in Newbury, Mass., 1833. He was reared in Haverhill from his fifth year, educated in its public schools, and worked for his father in the lumber business. About 1857, having accumulated some capital from his earnings, in company with his brother David D., he purchased the lumber business conducted by their father and continued the same under the firm name of D. D. & A. W. Chase. A. Washington Chase continued in this line until 1864, when he retired and engaged in the shoe manufacuring business under the firm name of Chase & Laubham, continuing until 1889, when he retired form this business. About this time he was appointed president of the Haverhill National Bank, remaining in that capacity until his death in 1892, and was also director of the Haverhill Trust Company for a number of years, director and one of the organized stockholders of the Haverhill Electric Comany, and trustee of the Haverhill Savings Bank.
He was largely interested in Haverhill real estate, improving and developing the same, erecting several large business blocks, as well as many residences, being one of the most active and progressive men of the city in this line. He was one of the first aldermen of the city of Haverhill, discharging the duties pertaining thereto in a highly creditable and efficient manner. He was one of the original members of the Pentucket Club, and president for three years; a member of Saggahew Lodge, Pentucket Chapter, Haverhill Council and Haverhill Commandery, Free and Accepted Masons.
He was a Congregationalist in religion, and a Republican in politics.
He married, 1857, Ellen, daughter of Captain William Tate, of Rockland, Maine.
1. Fred L., died in childhood.
2. Mary E., died in childhood.
3. Alice H., unmarried.
4. Charles C., see forward.
Charles C. Chase was born in Haverhill, Mass., May 11, 1871. He was educated in the public schools, and upon attaining the age when he should begin his business career engaged in the real estate business, becoming one of the most active men in that line in the city of Haverhill, his time being constantly devoted to the development of his properties; of which he owns considerable. He is one of the partners in the Pentucket Laundry, one of the leading industries of that place, and was a director in the Haverhill Trust Company. He is connected with the Congregationalist church, and his political allegiance is given to the Republican party. He is a member of Pentucket Club; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and the Free and Accepted Masons, affiliating with the following bodies in that order; Saggahew Lodge, Pentucket Chapter, Haverhill Council, Haverhill Commandery, Knights Templar, Merrimack Valley Lodge of Perfection and president of the Masonic Hall Association.
He married, Sept. 22, 1897, Susan C. Killam, daughter of Ubert A. Killam, cashier of the Merrimack National Bank of Haverhill.
They have one child, Dorothy B., born Jan. 23, 1899.
Austin or Augustine Cobb, immigrant ancestor, born in Norfolk county, England, was a Taunton, Mass. in 1670. He received a deed of his farm in that town from John Cobb, Aug. 13, 1679. The name of his wife is unknown.
1. Elizabeth, born Feb. 10, 1670.
2. Morgan, born Dec. 29, 1673, died Sept. 30, 1755, m. first, prob Susanna Willis, 2d, May 22, 1735, Esther Hodges.
3. Samuel, born Nov. 9, 1675, mentioned below.
4. Bethia, born April 5, 1678.
5. Mercy, born Aug. 12, 1680.
6. Abigail, born May 28, 1684.
(II) Samuel Cobb, son of Austin (1), married Lydia ____.
1. Nathan, mentioned below.
(III) Nathan Cobb, son of Samuel (2), married Esther Dryer.
2. Nathan, born Nov. 13, 1737, died Feb. 16, 1823, mentioned below.
4. Esther, married John Noyes.
5. Huldah, born May 18, 1752, died Sept. 27, 1842, married Elijah Billings.
6. Chloe, married William Savage.
(IV) Nathan Cobb, son of Nathan (3), married Abigail Shores, 1763.
1. Abigail, born Nov. 16, 1763, died 1803, married Joseph Gannet.
2. Anna, born Feb. 16, 1765, died April 12, 1843; married William Austin.
3. Nathan, born Jan. 22, 1768, married Mercy Briggs, born 1757.
4. Jonathan, born March 7, 1770, died July 16, 1845, mentioned below.
5. Charlotte, born Sept. 6, 1772, married Jonah Shores.
6. Dolly, born April 5, 1774, married John Richardson.
7. Samuel, born Feb. 22, 1778, married Mercy Lincoln.
8. David, born Sept., 1780, died 1811, married Jane Capen.
9. Betsey, born Feb. 23, 1783, married Jeremy Hack.
(V) Jonathan Cobb, son of Nathan (4), was born March 7, 1770. He was a lifelong resident of Sharon, Mass., where he was an innkeeper in the days when the only means of travel was by stage coach. He was also engaged in agriculture.
He married Sibel Holmes.
1. Jonathan Holmes, born July 8, 1799, died March 12, 1882, mentioned below.
2. Nancy Miller, born Feb. 18, 1801; married first, Isaac Copeland, second, April 21, 1835, Asaph Tracy. Children: i. Frederick. ii. Richard. iii. Gridley. iv. Isaac Richard.
3. Hepza M., born Feb. 18, 1801, died Nov. 5, 1849; married Wheeler Wilbur, of Raynham.
4. Sibbel, born April 18, 1803, died March 8, 1805.
5. William, born Oct .9, 1805, died Feb. 13, 1841; married first, Mrs. Cary, second, 1831, Candida Cazenova.
6. Amelia, born 1808, married May 7, 1849, Jesse Holmes.
7. Maria, born April, 1810, married John Smith, name altered to Clifton Dec. 26, 1831.
8. Lemuel, born July 28, 1813, died Nov. 24, 1848, married Oct. 30, 1857, Tryphena S. Otis, born 1819.
9. Kezia, born May 31, 1816, married Jan. 12, 1838, John Duff, who died Oct., 1889.
10. Warren, born June 28, 1821, married, Sept. 27, 1848, Laura Stetson.
(VI) Jonathan Holmes Cobb, son of Jonathan (5), was born in Sharon, Mass., July 8, 1799. He prepared for college at Milton Academy, and was graduated from Harvard in 1817. He then entered the law office of William Dunbar, Esq., of Canton, Mass., and engaged in the study of law until Oct. 9, 1818, when he went to Charleston, South Carolina, and resumed his law studies in the office of Benjamin S. Dunkin, a prominent lawyer of that city. In Charleston he opened a classical and English school, but on the outbreak of the epidemic of yellow fever in 1819 he returned to Massachusetts and entred the law office of Jabez Chickering, in Dedham, Mass. In Sept., 1820, he was admitted to the Norfolk county bar and entered upon the practice of his profession in Dedham. Subsequently he opened another office in Boston, and for a few years was editor of the Village Register, published in Dedham. In 1831 he engaged in the manufacture of silk, and published a work on that subject. In Feb., 1831, the Massachusetts legislature, having authorized the publication of a manual upon the mulberry-tree and the manufacture of silk, he was commissioned by Governor Lincoln to prepare such a work. Several editions of the manual were printed, and afterward by special act of congress, it was issued by the government and distributed throughout the country. In 1837 he established a manufactory of sewing silk, of which he was the principal owner and superintendent. He conducted the enterprise until 1845, when the plant was destroyed by fire. Upon the retirement of Judge Haven in 1833 he was appointed register of probate for Norfolk county, a position which he held until 1879, when he was succeeded by his son, Jonathan Cobb. For thirty consecutive years he served as town clerk of Dedham, declining a re-election in 1875, and for forty years was an active magistrate in Norfolk county. For many years he was an important factor in financial circles, and in 1831 was actively instrumental in founding the Dedham Institution for Savings.
He was a deacon of the First Church for more than forty years. He died in Dedham, Mass., March 12, 1882. He was married, in Roxbury, Mass., Sept. 26, 1822, by Rev. Eliphalet Porter, to Sophia Doggett, born in Roxbury, May 23, 1805, died in Dedham, Mass., Jan. 13, 1878.
1. Sophia Jane, born in Dedham, July 12, 1823, died June 19, 1901; married, March 17, 1842, Abram French, of Boston.
2. Maria Elizabeth, born in Dedham, Aug. 13, 1826, died Feb. 24, 1855; married March 22, 1853, Henry Comerais, born in Boston, April 24, 1820; died in Dedham, Sept. 4, 1876.
3. Jonathan, born in Dedham, March 2, 1829, mentioned below.
4. Samuel Doggett, born in Dedham, Aug. 5, 1831, died April, 1904; married Mary T. Shumway, March, 1867.
5. Isabelle Frances, born in Dedham, April 19, 1835; married May 2, 1860, Frederick Halverson French, born in Baltimore, Maryland, 1818; died Aug. 16, 1881, at Henderson, Kentucky.
6. Abby, born in Dedham, May 17, 1837; married, Jan. 23, 1861, George A. Guild.
7. John Doggett, born in Dedham, April 28, 1840; served in the war of the rebellion three years, wrote "History of Thirty-fifth Massachusetts Regiment," at present register of probate and insolvencey for Norfolk county.
8. William Austin, born in Dedham, Aug. 4, 1845, died April, 1898; married Nov., 1879, Annie Sullivan, who died at Haverhill, N. H. Jan., 1887; married second, Mary E. Rollin, Sept. 24, 1889.
(VII) Jonathan Cobb, son of Jonathan Holmes (6), was born in Dedham, March 2, 1829. He was educated in the public schools and had several teachers of languages. He entered an importing store in Boston as clerk in 1844, remaining there until 1849, when he went overland to California by way of Mexico. In 1851 he returned to Dedham and was employed for about two years in the probate office. He was for a time clerk and salesman in the store of French, Wells & Company, Boston, and in 1855 went into business in Nashville, Tennessee, under the name of Campbell & Cobb. In March, 1859, he returned to Dedham and entered the probate office. He was appointed assistant register of probate and insolvency in Jan., 1862, and afterwards succeeded his father as register, occupying that position until 1904, when he resigned and was succeeded by his brother, John D. Cobb.
Jonathan Cobb was a member of the Unitarian church, and clerk of the First Parish for about twenty years. In politics he was a Republican. He was married, in Dedham, Mass., July 27, 1857, by Rev. Alvan Lamson, to Martha Sigourney (Wales), daughter of Samuel Wales, a Boston merchant. She was born in Boston, Mass., March 24, 1832, died in Dedham June 29, 1877.
1. Edward Sigourney, born in Nashville, Tennessee, May 21, 1859.
2. Benjamin Wales, born in Dedham, July 15, 1860.
3. Charles Augustine, born in Dedham, April 11, 1863.
4. Frederic Copeland, born in Dedham, Oct. 10, 1868, mentioned below.
5. Henry Worcester, born in Dedham, Nov. 22, 1872, died there June 8, 1874.
(VIII) Frederic Copeland Cobb, son of Jonathan (7), was born in Dedham, Oct. 10, 1868. He is related through his grandmother to the DOGGETT family. [trans. note: be perpared for page upon page of drivil about the Doggett family. Don't say I didn't warn you.] The name Doggett seems quite distinct from Duckett and Daggett, although possibly all may be from the same root. Doggett and Daggett were often applied at different periods to the same individual in early times, and the name Doggett has been changed and continued as Daggett by people of the present day. The larger part of the family in America, whether Doggett or Daggett, must look for their ancestors to the Doggett family of England. It is one of the oldest of surnames. There is no instance of a de prefixed to it from which to conclude it to be a name derived from the name of a place, as is often the case with other surnames. Many expressions of opinion have been made as to the derivation of the name. Lower in his "Dictionary of Names," says it is probably corrupted from Dowgate, one of the Roman gateways of the city. Robert Ferguson thinks it belongs to the roots of Anglo-Saxon dugan, to be of use or value. Akin to the Anglo-Saxon dugan are the old High German tugan, to be virtuous, good, honorable, and Old High German dau, morals, behavior. Professor John Marshall Doggett of Richmond, Virginia, formerly professor of languages in Vanderbilt University, has made a special study of the subject, and gives it as his opinion that the name Doggett is derived from the Aryan word Dok or Dog, meaning point or cut. Sir George Duckett, Bart., in his "Memoirs of the Family of Duket," called "Duchetiana" (London ,1874) says: "The family of Ducket derives clearly from that of 'Duchet,' seated at the time of the English Conquest in the Duchy of Burgundy. The surname of Duchet (Duket) is recorded in two of the Battle Abby Rolls. The name is also found in the twelfth year of the Conquest; again (as Duchet) in the oldest oll now extant next to Domesday, the great Roll of the Exchequer, sixty or seventy years after the Conquest, commonly called the Great Roll, 1131; and it is also recorded in the "Chronicles of the Abby of St. Albans," A.D. 1119. From the time of the Conqueror to the reign of Henry VII, and from that again to the reign of Elizabeth, the name is found varied in different ways according as the Saxon pronunciation came in time to prevail over the Norman and to reappear as the common language of the country. There are as many as twenty-two variations in the orthography of the name at different epochs, as follows: Duchet, Duschet, Dutschet, Tucket, Ducet, Duchet, Duquet, Dutschet, Tuchet, Tuschet, Ducet, Dechet, Duquet, Duket, Dukett, Dukket, Dughet, Doket, Doget, Doggette, Dokkyt, Docket, Dowket, Doucket, Duckette, Ducket, Duckett. [trans. note: Good grief! All this because you wanted to read about the COBB family? ....and we aren't done transcribing this drivel yet.....] Sir D. Hardy, on the orthogrtaphical variations of proper names of persons and the arbitrary mode of spelling in ancient times, often regulated by etymology, sound or abbreviations, remarks that names were latinized or gallicized, whenever it was possible to do so, according to the fancy of the scribe, one document frequently exhibiting material variations in the spelling of the same name, and to such a degree that a person would scarcely be able to recognize the modern name. The fault, therefore, rested with the scribe alone, whether writing from dictation or copying from the original writ. [trans note: aarrgghhhhh!!! will this never end?] In Great Britain persons bearing the name of Doggett are located chiefly in London, St. Faith, Harleston, and Winfarthing, Norfolk; Boxford and Groton, Suffolk; Pickhill and Whitcomb, Yorkshire; Leighton Buzzard and Siloe, Befordshire; Stoke Newington, Middlesex; Upwell, Cambridgeshire; Hertfordshire; Manchester; Long Stanton; Clevedon and Walton, Somerset; Waltham, Holy Cross, Reigate, Surrey; Dublin, Ireland. Member of the Doggett family figure frequently in English records. Sir John Doget is mentioned in 1370 as changing lands in Morningthorp. Andrew Docket or Drickett, about 1470, master of Queen's College, Cambridge, and Chancellor of Lichfield. John Doggett, nephew of Cardinal Bountner, was born at Sherborne, Dorset, in 1425. He was a Master of Arts and fellow of King's College, Cambridge; ordained acolyte and subdeacon by Gray, Bishop of Ely, 1459; prebandary of Sarum, 1473-76; one of the ambassadors to the Pope, 1479; in commission to the King of Denmark, 1480; chaplain to King Richard III, 1483; master of Trinity College, Arundel, 1494; provost of King's College, Cambridge, 1499. He died in 1501, and was buried in Salisbury Cathedral. William Doggett was mayor of Bristol, England, 1692-94; John Doget, sheriff of London, 1509; John Doggett, registrar of Sudbury, 1658; John Doggett, merchant, is mentioned in the first London Directory of Merchants in 1677. Thomas Doggett, the famous comedian, was born in Dublin, Ireland, died at Eltham, Kent, England, Sept. 22, 1721. He was for a time a member of a travelling company before he made his appearance in 1691 in London, where he became a great favorite. Colley Cibber considered him the most original observer of nature of all his contemporaries. He was for a time joint manager of Drury Lane Theater with Colley Cibber and Robert Wilks. He was a shrewd man of business, and later in life took an active interest in politics. In commemoration of the accession of George I (Aug. 1, 1715), he established Doggett's Coat and Badge, a prize for a rowing-match on the Thames, which takes place very year on the 1st of August, the course extending from London Bridge to Codogan Pier, Chelsea. The match is open to six young watermen recently out of their apprenticeship, and the first prize is an orange-colored waterman's coat and a silver badge representing the white horse of Hanover. William Doggett, who also called himself Daggett, was a lieutenant in the navy. He was on board the "Royal George," Admiral Kemperfieldt being first cousin to his father, and whlie he was sent on shore to the library, the ship was lost, and about eight hundred persons drowned. On his marriage he left eh navy, and engaged in cotton spinning in Manchester, in 1810.
Their are four immigrant ancestors of the Doggett family in America - John Doggett, of Martha's Vineyard, Mass.; William Doggett of Saco, Maine; Rev. Benjamin Doggett, of Lancaster, Virginia; Thomas Doggett, of Marshfield, Mass.
John Doggett, of Martha's Vineyard, Mass., was born in England, and probably removed to New England with Governor Winthrip in 1630. He settled first in Salem, Mass., and then in Watertown, Mass., where he was admitted a freeman, May 18, 1631. He increased his landed possessions and doubtless engged in agricultural pursuits. He next moved to Rehotobht, Mass., which comprised in its greatest extent the present town, together with Seekonk, Pawtucket, Attleboro, Cumberland, and part of Swansea and Barrington. He set up a weir; was chosen deputy 1648; served on the committee for the court, 1648; was admitted freeman, 1648; and also acted as surveyor of highways and exciseman, 1648. He moved for the last time to Edgarton, Martha's Vineyard, where he had obtained a grant of land, and was probably occupied in agricultural pursuits. He died in Plymouth, Mass. between May 17 and 26, 1673.
William Daggett, of Saco, Maine, was born in 1661. He was constable in Saco in 1684, and continued to reside there until some time between 1685 and 1689, when he removed to Marblehead, Mass. Here he became a house carpenter and husbandman. He died in Sutton, Mass., after 1727.
The Rev. Benjamin Daggett, of Lancaster, Virginia, was a clergyman of the Established Church of England, and emigrated to America previous to 1670. He settled in what is known as the "Northern Neck of Virginia," and founded a church near Chesapeake Bay, in Lancaster County, Virginia. The church of which he was rector he named White Chapel, the main body of which still remains. He died in Lancaster, Virginia, in 1681.
(I) Thomas DOGGETT, of Marshfield, Mass., ancestor of the subject's [trans. note; remember him? Surname COBB.] grandmother, was born in England in 1607. He removed to New England in the "Mary Anne," of Yarmouth, England, William Goose, master, May, 1637. His name is recorded in the Rolls Office, London, England, in a small parchment volume containing a list of persons "desirous to passe beyond seas." Under date of May 13, 1637, the following entry is made: "The examinaction of Thomas Olliner of Norwich, Calinder, ageed 36 yeares and Marey his wife, aged 34 yeares, with 2 children; Thomas Doged aged 30 yeares and Marey Safe ageed 12 yeares ar desirous to pass to N. E. to inhabitt." The term "servant" as used by the early settlers, did not have the sense of a menial, but that of apprentice. They were immigrants whose passage was paid generally by some relative or friend in consideration of a stated term of service. In fact, it was a common thing for gentlemen of some means in leaving England for America to take an apprentice or servant, paying the expenses of his passage, and after their arrival, employing him to work to repay the amount. This being customary, men of distinction were enabled to escape to America as servants to those permitted to come, who would have been prevented if they had attempted to come in their own name. Possibly Thomas Doggett may have engaged himself to Thomas Oliver to obtain permission to leave England or he may have engaged himself as apprentice to pay his passage to New England, where he wished, either for religious freedom, or because he felt he could better his condition, as there seems to be no evidence of property in his possession for several years after his arrival in New England, there is every reason to believe that he was without means when he arrived. He settled in Concord, Mass., and later removed to Weymouth, Mass. Here he became a proprietor, and was elected to the office of townsman or selectman. In 1653 he changed his home for the last time, by moving to Marshfield, Mass. He became prominent in public affairs and held many positions of trust, serving as juryman, grand juryman, constable, surveyor, selectman, tax collector, and as a member of several committees. He died in Marshfield, Mass. Aug. 18, 1692, and is supposed to have been buried in the old First Burial Ground. The name of his first wife is unknown; she died in Concord, Mass., the 23rd of the 6th month, 1642; married second, in Weymouth, Mass., in 1643, Elizabeth Fry, widow of William Fry, of Weymouth, and daughter of Jonas and Frances Humphrey, of Dorchester, Mass., probably born in England, died in Weymouth, Mass. in 1652; married third, in Marshfield, Mass., Aug. 17, 1654, Joane Chillingsworth, of Marshfield, Mass.; born probabaly in England, died in Marshfield Sept., 1684.
1. John, born probably in Concord, Mass., 1642.
2. Hannah, born in Weymouth, Mass., 1646.
3. Sarah, born in Weymouth, Mass., 1650.
4. Samuel, born in Weymouth, Mass., 1652, mentioned below.
5. Rebecca, born in Marshfield, Mass., July 29, 1655.
(II) Samuel Doggett, son of Thomas Doggett (1), was born in Weymouth, Mass., in 1652, and was probably taken to Marshfield, Mass. when an infant. He received from his father, March 20, 1681, one-half of all his lands in Middleboro and places adjacent, and in the instrument is called "my well beloved son." He was transcribed on the list of freemen for Marshfield, and served as townsman, constable, tithingman, grand juryman, and collector of rates. In the record of the town meetings of Marshfield is the following: "In pursuance of the order of the last court for the raising money for the present expedition against the barbarous enemy Indians, Samuel Doggett, Anthony Eames, Ephraim Little and John Foster promised to lend the town 20 s apiece to be repaid again by the next town rate." He died in Marshfield, Mass. Sept. 15, 1725, and was buried in the Cedar Grove cemetery.
He married first in Marshfield, Mass. Jan. 24, 1682, Mary Rogers, daughter of John Rogers, died in Marshfield April 15, 1690; married, second, in Marshfield, Mass., Jan. 21, 1691, Bathsheba Holmes, daughter of Abraham and Elizabeth (Arnold) Holmes, and granddaughter of the Rev. Samuel Arnold, died in Marshfield Apri. 17, 1747.
Children, b. in Marshfield:
1. Samuel, b. Dec. 24, 1683, died young.
2. Samuel, b. April 7, 1685.
3. Mary, April 26, 1687.
4. Sarah, April 7, 1689.
5. Elizabeth, Nov. 3, 1691, married Jan. 13, 1725-26, Sylvanus Hall, of Plymouth, son of Elisha and Lydia Hall, born in Yarmouth, Mass. May 17, 1693.
6. Ebenezer, Nov. 22, 1693.
7. Bathsheba, June 18, 1695.
8. John, March 29, 1697.
9. Isaac, Feb. 6, 1699, mentioned below.
10. Lydia, Oct. 26, 1703.
11. Seth, Oct. 22, 1705.
12. Abigail, March 14, 1711-12.
(III) Isaac Doggett, son of Samuel Doggett (2), was born in Marshfield, Feb. 6, 1699. Like his older brothers he was called both "mariner" and "yeoman," the first being his occupation when he lived at Marshfield, the latter after he had married and settled in Braintree, Mass., to which place he removed in 1727 or 1728. He probably resided in that part of Braintree now called Randolph, as he connected himself with the church in that precinct in 1733. He was elected surveyor of highways in 1735-36, tithingman in 1736-37, constable in 1739, and taught school in 1753. He died between Feb. 23, 1762, and Sept., 1763.
He married in Braintree, Mass. Sept. 9, 1725, Abigail Allen, daughter of Samuel and Abigail (Webb) Allen; born in Braintree, Mass. Nov. 2, 1700, died in Braintree between Jan. 22 and May 23, 1785.
1. Bathsheba, born in Braintree June 12, 1726, died there June 26, 1726.
2. Samuel, born in Marshfield, May 30, 1727, mentioned below.
3. Abigail, born in Braintree, Dec. 5, 1728.
4. Isaac, born in Braintree, Dec. 12, 1732, probably married in Boston Jan. 8, 1761, Alice Cates.
5. Bathsheba, born in Braintree, Feb. 5, 1735-36, probably the Bathsheba whose intention of marriage to Jonathan Brown is recorded Oct. 31, 1757, in Boston, Mass.
6. Seth, born in Braintree Nov. 9, 1737, cordwainer; impressed for Fort William Henry expedition on the roll of Captain Nathaniel Blake, of Milton, Mass., Aug. 7, 1756.
7. Eunice, born in Dorchester, Mass., Dec. 25, 1741, baptized Jan. 3, 1742.
8. Elizabeth, born in 1748, baptized in Milton, Mass. Aug. 7, 1748.
(IV) Samuel Doggett, son of Isaac Doggett (3), was born in Marshfield, Mass., May 30, 1727, baptized July 9, 1727. He lived in Braintree and Milton, Mass. until he went to Dorchester, Mass., where he learned the trade of a "millwright," as a young man. After his marriage in Dorchester he removed to Dedham, Mass., where he became a "housewright." He was admitted to the first church in that town, Aug. 11, 1751. He died in Dedham, Mass. March 6, 1794, and was buried in the old cemetery there.
He married, in Dorchester, Mass., Sept. 7, 1749, Abigail Davenport, daughter of Ambrose and Rachel (Searle) Davenport; born in Dorchester Aug. 30, 1727, died in Dedham, Mass. Sept. 1, 1803.
Children, b. in Dedham:
1. Jonathan, Aug .30, 1750, died in Dedham Sept. 10, 1750.
2. Samuel, Oct. 5, 1751, mentioned below.
3. Eunice, May 30, 1753, married Joseph Sampson; she died in Attleboro, Jan. 20, 1789; he died in Attleboro Dec. 6, 1793.
4. Mary, Nov. 9, 1755.
5. Isaac, Jan. 11, 1758.
6. Jesse, Jan. 12, 1761.
7. Elisha, May 10, 1767.
8. John, April 15, 1771, died in Dedham June 29, 1771.
(V) Samuel Doggett, son of Samuel Doggett (4), was born in Dedham, Mass. Oct. 5, 1751, died November, 1831. On the commencement of hostilities in 1775 he entered the American army and served in the eight months' service in 1775. On Jan. 23, 1776, he again entered the service as lieutenant in Captain Stevens' company, Colonel Henry Knos's regiment of artillery. After having served for one year he was honorably discharged in consequence of the expiration of the term of service for which he had engaged. On Oct. 2, 1778, he was again commissioned as lieutenant of the second company, Captain Ebenezer Battle, of the First Regiment of Militia, Suffolk county. They were in service in Rhode Island from July 29 to Sept. 16, 1778.
He took a great interest in all movements for the welfare of his native town, where he spent his entire life. He was by occupation a millwright and housewright, or carpenter, and later in life was jailer of Dedham, Mass, Nov. 19, 1831.
He married, in Dedham, Mass. June 1, 1777, Elizabeth Badlam, daughter of Stephen and Hannah (Clapp) Badlam; born in Stoughton, Mass. Dec. 20, 1753, died in Dedham Dec. 22, 1832.
1. Betsey, b. June 24, 1778.
2. John, Sept. 15, 1780, mentioned below.
3. Samuel, Feb. 12, 1794.
(VI) John Doggett, son of Samuel Doggett (5), was born in Dedham, Sept. 15, 1780. He learned the trade of carving and gilding, and opened a factory in Roxbury, Mass., later taking into partnership his brother, Samuel Doggett, and Samuel Sprague Williams, under the name of John Doggett & Company. About this tiem a knowledge of weaving was obtained from a traveling English artisan and the manufacture of rugs was begun, which soon came into general use and laid the foundation for an extensive carpet business. The manufacture of looking glasses, which was a specialty of the firm, had its origin in the embargo laws of 1812. Importations eing then forbidden, window glass was quicksilvered and met with a ready sale. The business of the firm increased to such an extent that a warehouse was opened in 1818 on Market street, now Cornhill, Boston, and in 1837 removed to Tremont Row, a branch house being established in Philadelphia. John Doggett retired from the firm in 1845, and his brother Samuel in 1854, and the business was reorganized, the manufacture of mirror and picture frames being continued under the name of Williams & Everett, who added the branch of paintings, etc., and who are now located on Boylston street, Boston.
John Doggett was a member of the Boston city council in 1833. He resided in Roxbury until 1822, when he removed to Boston, from whence he moved to Dedham, 1844, and during the latter part of his life occupied his father's house there, where he died June 17, 1857.
He married first, in Charlestown, Mass., Sophia Miller, daughter of Deacon Hezekiah N. and Jane (Field) Miller, of Milton, Mass.; born in Dorchester, Mass. July 28, 1783, died in Boston, Mass. May 15, 1829; married second, in Boston, Oct. 15, 1829, Mrs. Mary Jones, widow; died in Boston, Aug. 24, 1838; married third, in Boston, Juy 9, 1840, Ann Eliza Webster, widow, daughter of Edward and Mary Cushing, born in Boston, 1797, died in Dedham, Oct. 4, 1849.
1. Sophia, born in Roxbury, Mass., May23, 1805, mentioned below.
2. Jane Miller, born in Roxbury, Dec. 13, 1806.
3. John, born in Roxbury, June 7, 1809.
4. Elizabeth, born in Roxbury, Oct. 26, 1811.
5. Francis Miller, born in Roxbury, Sept. 28, 1813, died there Oct. 8, 1813.
6. Samuel, born in Roxbury, Oct. 15, 1814.
7. William Francis, born in Boston, Mass., March 15, 1817.
8. Stephen Badlam, born in Boston, Nov. 18, 1819, died in San Francisco, California, Dec. 27, 1850.
9. Maria, born in Boston, Feb. 14, 1822, died there Sept. 8, 1838.
10. Benjamin Franklin, born in Boston, Feb. 17, 1824.
(VII) Sophia Doggett, daughter of John Doggett (6), mentioned above in COBB (6), was a woman of great amiability, cheerful disposition, high moral standard and greatly beloved by all.
[trans note: this begins with the statement: 'For early generations see John Cogswell I.' Since there must be at least five huge volumes of this work, all of which I am not about to attempt to transcribe, you may or may not ever see these early generations here. Sure wish they'd just put all the material in one place.]
(IV) William Cogswell, eldest son and second child of Lieutenant John and Hannah (Goodhue) Cogswell, was born Sept. 24, 1694, in Chebacco parish, Ipswich, Mass., and died Feb. 19, 1762. In 1732 he built the Cogswell house, which is still (1908) standing. He doubtless was the William Cogswell who was appointed June 25, 1746, on a "committee to go and view the land and see the qualification thereof, and report to the proprietors as soon as may be," in regard to the settlement of Winchendon, Mass.
He married first, Sept/ 24, 1719, Mary Cogswell, born in Chebacco parish in 1699, daughter of Captain Jonathan and Elizabeth (Wainwright) Cogswell. She was betrothed to Ebenezer Choate, who died in 1718, and Ebenezer thus became a family name with the Cogswell in his memory. She died June 16, 1734, having borne her husband nine children, and William Cogswell married second, March 13, 1735, Mrs. Elizabeth Appleton, widow of Benjamin Appleton, Esq., and daughter of Captain Thomas Wade. She died Dec. 13, 1783.
Children of Wm. Cogswell:
1. Ebenezer, born June 13, 1720, died Nov. 17, 1801; married Nov. 22, 1749, Mary Burnham.
2. John, born Feb. 22, 1722.
3. Mary, born Sept. 15, 1723, died Aug. 22, 1784; married May 11, 1741, John Cogswell.
4. Jonathan, born May 9, 1725; see forward.
5. Jacob, born May 18, 1727, died Dec. 1, 1805; married 1748, Elizabeth Eveleth.
6. Lucy, born June 28, 1728, died Nov. 4, 1775; married Jan. 17, 1750, Deacon Thomas Burnham.
7. Sarah, born Feb. 5, 1729, died in June 1730, in infancy.
8. William, born in May, 1731, died May 16, 1734.
9. Sarah, born March 3, 1733, died in January, 1734.
10. Hannah, baptized Dec. 7, 1735, died Dec. 30, 1735.
11. Hannah, baptized June 7, 1737; married (published Feb. 8, 1755) Francis Perkins.
12. William, born March 5, 1740, died Aug. 10, 1740.
13. Susanna, born April 19, 1741, died June 1, 1741.
14. Samuel, born March 15, 1742, died Dec. 8, 1834; married March 5, 1764, Elizabeth Perkins.
15. Susanna, born July 9, 1743, died Nov. 1, 1746.
16. William, born May 31, 1745, died Feb. 27, 1746.
(V) Deacon Jonathan Cogswell, third son and fourth child of William and Mary (Cogswell) Cogswell, was born May 9, 1725, in Chebacco parish, Ipswich, Mass., and died Feb. 11, 1812. He lived in the Cogswell house in Chebacco parish, which was built when he was seven years old, 1732. He was chosen a deacon of the church thirty-two years from April 7, 1780, to Feb. 12, 1812, the date of his death.
He married, March 16, 1748, Mary Appleton, born in Ipswich, March 25, 1729, died June 30, 1813, daughter of Benjain and Elizabeth (Wade) Appleton.
1. Nehemiah, born 1749, died Dec. 4, 1837; married July 30, 1772, Rachel Choate.
2. William, born Aug. 26, 1750, died April 24, 1836; married Aug. 18, 1781, Jemima Haskell.
3. Jonathan, born Jan. 4, 1754, died Jan. 1, 1776; married Dec., 1775, Mary Rust.
4. Elizabeth, born June 7, 1756; married Nov. 23, 1775, Seth Goodhue.
5. Joseph, born Dec. 20, 1757, died Nov. 22, 1845; married May 31, 1788, Abigail Cleveland.
6. Benjamin, born June 27, 1759, died April 30, 1760.
7. Mary, born Dec. 19, 1760, died Aug. 22, 1784; married June 24, 1784, David Choate.
8. Hannah, born Aug. 12, 1762, died Feb. 3, 1796; married May 3, 1783, Lieutenant John Proctor.
9. Benjamin, born Oct. 17, 1764, died Oct. 18, 1764.
10. Benjamin, born Aug. 15, 1766, died Jan. 17, 1842; married March 29, 1789, Abigail Choate.
11. Nathaniel, born May 17, 1768, died July 17, 1836; married first, Feb. 20, 1794, Eunice Low; second, Nov. 23, 1826, Lucy Perkins.
12. Sarah, born Jan. 13, 1770, died 1782.
13. Aaron, born Dec. 28, 1771; see forward.
14. Child, born Oct. 12, 1773, died Oct. 14, 1773.
(VI) Aaron Cogswell, thirteenth child of Deacon Jonathan and Mary (Appleton) Cogswell, was born in Ipswich, Mass., Dec. 28, 1771, and died there July 20, 1847. He married, May 20, 1802, Lucy Kinsman, born in Ipswich Oct. 14, 1781, died Oct. 22, 1874, daughter of Moses Kinsman and Lucy Cogswell, who died ninety-six years of age.
1. Aaron, born Feb. 21, 1807, died March 10, 1880; married Feb. 21, 1836, Mrs. Hannah (Stacy) Burnham.
2. Albert, born Oct. 9, 1810; see forward.
3. Lucy, born July 17, 1813; married July 1, 1849, Aaron L. Burnham.
4. Jonathan, born March 5, 1820, died 1896.
(VII) Albert Cogswell, second son and child of Aaron and Lucy (Kinsman) Cogswell, was born in Essex, Mass., Oct. 9, 1810, and died there July 4, 1885. His business occupation was farming, which he carried on with good success, for he was a practical man and managed his farm with good judgment; and as he was in respect to his personal concerns so he was in business tranactions with others, always practical and thoroughly honest, hence for many years he commanded the respect and confidence of the people of his town.
Dec. 26, 1849, he married Elizabeth Edwards, born in Wenham, Mass., June 11, 1820, died in Essex, Jan. 2, 1892, daughter of Benjamin and Susan (Roberts) Edwards.
1. Albert E., born Sept. 23, 1852, see below.
2. Aaron, born July 20, 1858, see below.
(VIII) Albert Edwards Cogswell, elder son of Albert and Elizabeth (Edwards) Cogswell, was born in Essex, Mass., and has spent his entire lifetime thus far on the old family homestead, engaged in general farming pursuits until about ten or twelve years ago, when he retired. He was given the benefit of a good education in public schools of his native town and afterward took a business course in the Boston Commercial College, graduating with the class of 1872.
In politics he is a Republican, and in years passed has taken an active interest in public affairs, though not for personal advantage. He is a member of Ocean Lodge, No. I, Independent Order of Odd Fellow, of Gloucester; Star King Lodge, No. 81, Knights of Pythias.
Jan. 1, 1890, Mr. Cogswell married Sally A. Wright, born in Marshfield, Mass., Dec. 25, 1852, daughter of Ezra and Sally (Holmes) WRIGHT, of Plymouth, Mass., both of whom were born in 1824, the former April 4 and the latter in February. She was educated in Dummer Academy, class of 1871. Children of Ezra and Sally (Holmes) Wright; 1. Ruth B. Wright, now Mrs. Richard A. Windsor, of Duxbury, Mass. 2. Josephine Wright, widow of Henry W. Swift, formerly of Plymouth, Mass.; married second, Lyman F. Tripp, of Plymouth. 3. Sally A. Wright, married Albert A. Cogswell; and 4. Emma Wright married Philip Adams, of Newburyport, Mass. Mr. Wright married second, Rebecca S. Phillips; had one son, Ezra S., who married Emma Cole; has three children; Marion B., Norma L., Olive May.
(VIII) Aaron Cogwell, younger son of Albert and Elizabeth (Edwards) Cogswell, was born in Essex, July 20, 1858, and for many years has been closely identified with the political and business life of that town. As a boy he attended public and private schools in Essex, and later was a student at Professor Leavitt's private academic school in Salem. After leaving school he entered mercantile life in Essex, and for the next fifteen years carried on an extensive business as wholesaler and retailer in meats and provision for a while in Gloucester and at Essex. At the end of that period he retired with a competency, and has since devoted his attention to the management of his personal affairs and the performance of official duties. In 1898 he was elected member of the board of selectmen of Essex, and had been successively re-elected in each year to the present (1908) time. Since 1900 he has been chairman of the board, and in addition to the ordinary duties of the office of selectman he performs the duties of member of the board of health and also that of town assessor.
Mr. Cogswell is a Republican of undoubted quality, and while he is regarded as the leader of his party in the town, and has a prominent standing in Republican councils in Essex county, he is not in any sense a politician, and the offices he has filled so long and so well he has taken more in the interest of the town than for their emolument.
In Masonic circles Mr. Cogswell enjoys an enviable prominence, and is a member and past master of John T. Heard Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ipswich; member of William Ferson Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Gloucester; member of Salem Council, Royal and Select Masons, of Salem; member and generalissimo Bethlehem Commandery, Knights Templar, of Gloucester. He has also entered the Scottish Rite bodies, Boston Lafayette Lodge of Perfection (14); Giles F. Yates Council, Princes of Jerusalem (16); Mount Olivet Chapter, Rose Croix (18); Massachusetts Consistory, S. P. R. S. (32); and also is a noble of Aleppo Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Mystic Shrine.
He is also a member of Ocean Lodge, No. 91, Independent Order Odd Fellows, Cape Ann Encampment; member and past chancellor of Star King Lodge, No. 81, Knights Phthias, and a member of the Commonwealth Club of Gloucester and Essex Republican Club; also a member of Twentieth Century Club of Essex. Mrs. Cogswell is a member of Martha Washington Chapter, Masonic, and of the Rebekah Lodge, Independent Order Odd Fellows.
Aaron Cogswell married, July 20, 1886, Emma Frances Dade, who was born in Essex, June 28, 1864, daughter of Sylvester and Mary Jane Dade, of Essex. They have three children:
Charles, Emma Frances and Clarence.
Robert Cross, immigrant ancestor, born in England, may have been nephew and was probably a near relative of John Cross of Ipswich, who was born in England about 1580 and came to New England with his wife Anne in the ship "Elizabeth" of Ipswich, sailing April 30, 1634; he left only one child, a daughter Hannah, wife of Thomas Hammond.
Robert Cross came to Ipswich about the same time as the older immigrant of this name. He was a proprietor as early as 1625, and served in the Pequot war. He had a case in the Ipswich court which was referred to the general court Dec. 1, 1640. The date of his death is not known, and until recently the records of those of his sons have been almost hopelessly confused. His son Stephen Cross deposed in 1663 that he was sixteen and a half years old; his on Robert at the same time testified that he was about twenty-one. He deeded land, probably on his death bed, Feb. 13, 1674-75, to son Stephen and wife Elizabeth, to be given them at his death.
1. Robert, Jr., born 1644; married 1664, Martha Treadwell; children: i. Robert, b. Jan. 21, 1665; ii. Timothy, b. Nov. 29, 1667; iii. Martha, b. March 15, 1670; iv. Abel, b. April 4, 1767; v. Stephen, b. April 27, 1678; vi. John, mentioned in will.
2. Stephen, born 1647-8, settled in Ipswich.
3. Daughter, married William Nelson.
4. Martha, married 1664, William Dirkee.
5. Peter, b. 1653, died April 9, 1737.
(II) Nathaniel Cross, descendant of Robert Cross (1), settled in Exeter, New Hampshire. Most if not all the Cross families of New Hampshire are descended from the Ipswich progenitor, though some are from a son of Robert who settled in Connecticut. Nathaniel Cross was born as early as 1740. He signed a petition at Exeter complaining to the general court of the prices charged by Major Daniel Tilton, dated July 9, 1776.
1. Nathaniel, mentioned below.
2. Richard (?), married (intention dated at Exeter, June 27, 1789, Lydia Harford. In the federal census of 1790 Nathaniel Cross is given as the only head of a family of this surname in Exeter, and he had one son over sixteen, six under sixteen and four females in his family.
(III) Captain Nathaniel Cross, son of Nathaniel Cross, was born about 1770. He removed from Exeter to East Bridgewater, Mass., about 1800. He married Margaret Bird, of Dorchester, daughter of Henry Bird, a revolutionary soldier, who took part in the battle of Saratoga and was present at the surrender of Burgoyne.
1. Nathaniel Henry, born at Dorchester, 1803; married Lucy Vose; settled in North Bridgewater.
Children b. in Bridgewater:
2. Rev. Joseph Warren, 1808; mentioned below.
3. Thaddeus William, 1810; married Mary Brooks, a relative of John Brooks, Governor of Massachusetts; settled in Quincy.
4. Margaret Granger, 1813; married ____ Standart.
5. Sarah Ann, 1816; married George Folsom.
6. George Gilman.
(IV) Rev. Joseph Warren Cross, son of Captain Nathaniel Cross (3), was born in Bridgewater, Mass., June 16, 1808. He graduated from Harvard College, 1828, and at the time of his death in 1906 was the oldest living graduate of the college, an honor he held for some years. He was called to the ministry at Boxborough, Middlesex county, Mass., Jan. 13, 1834; was ordained Oct. 1, 1834, and preached there until he was dismissed at his own request, Nov. 13, 1839. He served on the school committee while in Boxborough, in 1838, and taught the private school in the building erected for the purpose, nearly opposite the new church, also used as a vestry, and now forming part of the barn on the Hayden farm. He succeeded Rev. Brown Emerson as pastor of the Congregational church at West Boylston, Worcester county, Mass., March 11, 1840, and was dismissed March 16, 1859.
He served in the legislature of Massachusetts. He made his home at West Boylston until he was over eighty years of age, and is buried by the side of his wife in the West Boylston cemetery.
He married first, Mary Jane Danforth, of Norton; second, Frances Adeline Jackson Vose, of Boston, niece and namesake of the noted Mrs. Jackson, of Boston, in anti-slavery days; died at Hampton Beach, New Hampshire, Julyu 21, 1870.
Children of Joseph W. and Frances A. J. Cross:
1. Catherine C., married first, Charles Holbrook; second, George Lourie.
2. Joseph Warren, Jr., married first Harriet Prentice; second, Jane Foster.
3. Lyman M.
4. Robert Morrison, mentioned below.
5. Elijah V.
6. Mary Frances, married Frederick J. Ryder.
(V) Major Robert Morrison Cross, son of Rev. Joseph Warren Cross (4), born in West Boylston, Feb. 8, 1841, died at Lawrence, March 28, 1893. He was educated there in the public schools. He spent his minority in his native town and in Palmer, Mass., where he clerked in the dry goods store of W. W. Cross, his cousin.
He enlisted early in the civil war and had an honorable career both in the Army of the Ohio and the Army of the Potomac. He was first lieutenant of Company E, Thirty-sixth Massachusetts Volunteers, mustered into service Aug. 22, 1862; was captain and aide-de-camp on the staff of General Thomas H. Welch, commanding First Division, Ninth Army Corps, during the battles of South Mountain and Antietam; was aide-de-camp on the staff on General Wilcox at battles of Fredericksburg, Green River and Hickman's Bridge; was also aide on the staff of General Welch at the siege of Vicksburg and at the battle of Jackson, and on the staff of General Edward Ferraro in the expedition for the relief of Knoxville, Tennessee. He was major and commissary of subsistence on the staff of General J. G. Foster, assigned to duty at Chattanooga, Tennessee, transferred to the staff of General Schofield, and was in charge of transportation of supplies on the Tennessee river for the Fourth, Ninth and Fifteenth Army corps, and for his great efficiency was especially mentioned by General Schofield in his official report. He resigned and left the service July 26, 1864.
Soon after the termination of his military career Major Cross came to Lawrence, Mass., and established the dry goods business in which he was remarkably successful and in which he continued actively engaged to the end of his life. He conducted business under the firm name of R. M. Cross & Company, at 247 Essex street, at the same location in which he started, though his quarters had been repeatedly enlarged. He was one of the best known and most highly respected merchants of the city. His success was due in large measure to his own tireless labors in building it. He devoted practically all his time to his business and home.
He was a member of no secret orders, not even of the Grand Army of the Republic. He was a Republican, but not active in politics. He was a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Boston. He was a director of the old Pemberton National Bank, and trustee of the Lawrence Savings Bank.
He married Annie Perkins, born in Lawrence, Mass., daughter of John Sherburne Perkins, and sister of John A. PERKINS, cashier of the Merchants' National Bank. John Sherburne Perkisn was born in Sandown, N. H. (named for Judge John Sherburne, of Portsmouth, N. H.), son of James and Mary (Hooke) Perkins, and grandson of Moses and Betsie (Sherburne) Perkins. Moses Perkins served in the revolutionary war, and died at Saratoga. John Sherburne Perkins was one of the early settlers in Lawrence, Mass., and took an active interest in public affairs in the early days of that town.
[For preceding genearions, see Elizabeth Cutter I.]
(III) Nathaniel Cutter, son of Richard Cutter (2), born Dec. 11, 1663, bap. Jan. 24, 1664, at Cambridge. He was the executor of his father's will and heir to a part of the lands in Charlestown, where he lived.
He married, Oct. 8, 1688, Mary Fillebrown, born May 5, 1662, died March 14, 1714, daughter of Thomas and Anne Fillebrown, of Charlestown. Both joined the Cambridge church, Oct. 28, 1705. About 1715 he married (second) Elizabeth ____. She survied him and was dismissed to the First Church in Groton, Nov. 12, 1749.
Children of 1st wife:
1. Nathaniel, born April 10, 1691, married Dec. 11, 172, Sarah Winship, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Stearns) Winship, and granddaughter of Lieutenant Edward Winship, the immigrant, who settled in Cambridge about 1635.
2. Mary, born Aug. 5, 1693.
3. Jacob, born April 8, 1695.
4. Ebenezer, born Nov. 11, 1698, mentioned below.
5. John, born Sept. 19, 1703, married Dec. 26, 1734, Hepsibah (Cutter) Brooks.
Children of 2d wife:
6. Richard, born Oct. 11, 1716, died Aug. 6, 1717.
7. Elizabeth, born Jan. 26, 1718-19, married John Williams May 5, 1741.
(IV) Ebenezer Cutter, son of Nathaniel Cutter (3), born Charlestown, Nov. 11, 1698, bap. July 2, 1699. He married July 19, 1722, Sarah Cutter, daughter of William and Rebecca (Rolfe) Cutter. On July 14, 1723, he was a covenanter at Cambridge, and with his wife joined the Cambridge church, June 25, 1732. They were dismissed to the Medford church in October, 1744. He made generous gifts of fuel to his pastor in Cambridge. He lied most of his life in Medford and died there June 29, 1750. His wife was appointed administratrix of his estate, and his brother John Cutter was appointed guardian of his son Daniel, then in his eighteenth year.
1. Sarah, born July 11, 1723, married April 12, 1745, Samuel Blanchard, Jr.; was buried March 19, 1782.
2. Ebenezer, born Oct. 20, 1725, married Eleanor ____.
3. Mary, born March 11, 1728-29, married June 29, 1749, Timothy Hall; died Aug. 30, 1775.
4. Susanna, bap. April 5, 1730, died young.
5. Daniel, born April 24, 1733, mentioned below.
6. Susanna, bap. Nov. 30, 1735, married March 18, 1756, James Wyman.
7. Rebecca, bap. Feb. 5, 1738-39, married (first) Nov. 11, 1756, Thomas Hall, Jr.; (second) William Cutler.
8. Abigail, born Medford, Feb. 12, 1741-42, married Oct. 8, 1761, Isaac Hall.
(V) Daniel Cutter, son of Ebenezer Cutter (4), born Charlestown, April 24, 1733, bap. April 29, 1733, was buried in Medford, March 23, 1804. He married Nov. 28, 1756, Patience Hall, born May 4, 1738, daughter of Deacon Thomas and Patience (Allen) Hall, of Cambridge.
1. Ebenezer, born at Medford, Jan. 24, 1758, married Oct. 3, 1784, Mehitable Morrison.
2. Patience, born Sept. 10, 1760, died July 3, 1764.
3. Sarah, born Sept. 4, 1762, married Sept. 11, 1787, John Tay; died Sept. 27, 1845.
4. Daniel, born Oct. 11, 1764.
5. Abraham, born Nov. 9, 1766, drowned 1793.
6. Isaac, born Feb. 13, 1769, died Feb. 23, 1773.
7. Thomas Hall, born Sept. 5, 1772.
8. Jacob, born May 24, 1774; mentioned below.
9. Isaac, born Feb. 11, 1777, died June 28, 1778.
10. Moses, born Dec. 16, 1780, married Elizabeth ____.
11. Timothy, born Jan. 13, 1786, married Aug. 28, 1808, Mary Pay; died Sept. 24, 1831.
(VI) Jacob Cutter, son of Daniel Cutter (5), born May 24, 1774, died in Newburyport, Dec. 10, 1827. He was a mason by trade and went from Medford to Newburyport, where he was a much respected citizen.
He married Dec. 17, 1797, Elizabeth Edmands, born Aug. 14, 1778, died May, 1884, daughter of Barnabas Edmands, of Newburyport.
1. Abraham, born Aug. 13, 1799, married Aug. 14, 1820, Mary Gibson.
2. David Edmands, born June 10, 1801, mentioned below.
3. Jacob, born May 15, 1804, died aged eight days.
4. Stephen Edmands, born May 15, 1804, married Sept. 29, 1825, Mary Ann Newman, daughter of Captain Benjamin Newman; died Nov. 5, 1869.
5. Thomas Hall, born Nov. 5, 1806, married May 8, 1833, Elizabeth Bryant Moody.
6. Barnabas Edmands, born Feb. 11, 1813, married Jan. 8, 1834, Sarah Abby Bidlon.
(VII) David Edmands Cutter, son of Jacob Cutter (6), was born June 10, 1801, at Newburyport, died April 17, 1877. He was educated in the public schools. He learned the business of undertaker and for more than forty years was undertaker and superintendent of burial grounds in Newburyport. He was city messenger for sixteen years.
He married Caroline Plummer, born Feb. 22, 1804, daughter of Seth and Eunice (Moulton) Plummer.
Children, b. in Newburyport:
1. David Story, born Nov. 4, 1824, married Lucy Ordway, daughter of Stephen Ordway, of Newburyport; he died Sept. 25, 1849, at Newburyport; no children.
2. Caroline Elizabeth, born April 19, 1826, died Oct. 15, 1826.
3. Ebenezer Plummer, born July 31, 1830, mentioned below.
4. Joseph Burrill, born Feb. 16, 1833, died Aug. 4, 1841.
5. Elizabeth Plummer, born Aug. 19, 1841, died 1871.
(VIII) Ebenezer Plummer Cutter, son of David Edmands Cutter (7), born July 31, 1830, at Newburyport, died there Feb. 10, 1898. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, and learned the trade of house painting there. When the civil war brok out he enlisted in Company A, Eighth Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, was promoted second lieut. Sept. 15, 1862, and discharged Aug. 7, 1863; he re-enlisted in Company H in the Sixtieth Regiment Mass. Volunteer Militia, as second lieut., being musterd out Sept. 30, 1864. He was later captain of his militia company. When he returned from the war he resumed business as house painter and contractor at Newburyport, and later opened a paint sroe at 3 Mechanic Court. Much of his work was in painting ships while they were in port. He was a shrewd and successful business man and accumulated a competence.
He was prominent in public affairs. He was a Republican in politics; he was a member of the common council in 1862-66; member of board of aldermen of Newburyport in 1867-68; for many years (1859-60-61-62-66-69) engineer of the fire department. He was for a number of years foreman of Protector Fire Company, No. 3, and he was a member of the Veteran Fireman's Association; of Newburyport Post, 49, Grand Army of the Republic, of which he was sergeant-major at the time of his death; member of Quascacunquen Lodge, No. 39, of Odd Fellows; of Newburyport Lodge of Free Masona, and of Mizpah Council, No. 225, America Legion of Honor.
He was an attendant of the Presbyterian church. He was clerk of the Memorial Hall Association.
Captain Cutter always maintained a lively interest in the regiments in which he served during the war and was especially active in the Eighth Regiment Veteran Association. He was also a warm friend of the firemen and showed an unfaltering interest in the department.
His home for many years was at 12 Broad street. He died suddenly, being stricken with paralysis while at work in his store, and dying a few hours later. Captain Cutter was universally respected for his rugged honesty and integrity in every walk of life.
Major E. F. Bartlett wrote of him at the time of his death: "The sad and sudden death of Captain Eben P. Cutter is such a loss to this community as seems to call for more than a mere passing notice. Captain Cutter was one of the old officers in the Cushing Guard, Company A, Eighth Regiment, in ante-bellum days. He did not go to the seat of war in the breaking out of hostilities, but while he remained at home he still did heroic service, devoting day after day in gathering comforts and necessaries to send to the comrades at the front and in aiding the families of those who had gone. Many wives and children living today will drop a sad tear for one who had such tender thought for them in the early days of the war, when all was dark and cheerless for them, with the husband and father gone to do battle for the Union. On the second call of President Lincoln in 1862, Captain Cutter went into the service in the spring of 1863 received a severe sunstroke while stationed at North Carolina, just escaping with his life, and from it he was ever after a sufferer. Later on in July, 1863, while on the march to Gettyburg battlefield, he was accidentally wounded in the head, causing him to be sent back to Baltimore. The captain was patriotic and persistent in his nature and in spite of his permanent disabilities again entered the service in 1864 as lieutenant of Company H, Sixtieth Mass. Regiment and did good service for a short term. A good soldier and citizen has departed from us. His pleasant face and kindly disposition will never be forgotten by his old comrades and many friends throughout the county. A great worker, self-sacrificing, always seeking and ready to do some good for others, he will be sadly missed and it may be truly said of him: 'His good works do follow him.' 'Requiescat in pace.'"
He married, Jan., 1852, Sarah Elizabeth Coffin, born 1831, daughter of Emery and Sarah (Bartlett) Coffin, granddaughter of Moses and Mary (Jones) Coffin. Moses Coffin was a native of West Newburyport, his wife of South Hampton, N. H., their children: i. Infant; ii. Emery Coffin; iii. Frederick J. Coffin, colonel of his regiment in the civil war.
Children of Emery & Sarah (Bartlett) Coffin: i. Francis M. Coffin; ii. Sarah Elizabeth, born 1831, married Eben Plummer Cutter, as above, iii. Mary M. Coffin, married David W. Merrill; iv. Moses Frederick Cutter.
Children of Eben Plummer & Sarah Elizabeth (Coffin) Cutter:
1. Frank Emery, born July 28, 1852, married first, Dec. 25, 1873, Alice Ann, daughter of John W. S. and Mary A. Colby; children: i. Mary Alice, b. Jan. 11, 1875, m. Oct. 31, 1899, Frank N. Pillsbury of East Hampstead, N. H.; (children, Ernest Colby Pillsbury, b. Oct. 19, 1900; Charlotte Cutter Pillsbury, Sept. 17, 1903; ii. John Franklin, born July 6, 1876, m. June 8, 1898, Lydia A.W. Bartlett; children: Elizabeth Bartlett Cutter, b. Oct. 29, 1904; John Franklin Cutter Jr., June 3, 1907); iii. Eben Frederick, b. July 28, 1878, died Nov. 19, 1902; married Annie M. Jackman, child, Alice Elizabeth Cutter, b. Spet. 15, 1901, died Jan. 7, 1903. Alice Ann (Colby) Cutter died March 25, 1880.
Frank Emery married second, Feb. 2, 1882, Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Moses and Elizabeth Sargent.
2. Sarah Lizzie, born Nov. 6, 1854, died Feb. 12, 1875.
3. Eben Edmands, born Jan. 28, 1858, died Nov. 13, 1899.