Relating To The Families Of Boston And Eastern Massachusetts.
Prepared Under The Editorial Supervision Of
William Richard Cutter, A. M.
Historian Of The New England Historic Genealogical Society
Librarian Of Woburn Public Library
Author Of "The Cutter Family," "History Of Arlington," "Bibloigraphy Of Woburn," Etc. Etc.
New York Lewis Historical Publishing Company
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
This surname is derived from a local name. The township of Barlow is located in Yorkshire, and there is another in Derbyshire, England. The coat-of-arms of the Barlow family is described: Sable an eagle displayed argent membered or, standing on the limb of a tree raguled and trunked of the second. The family of Barlow at Bramfield, county Chester, bears: Bary wavy of six argent and sable on a chief gules flory or a canton ermine. The family at Sheffield: Sable two bars ermine on a chief indented per pale or and argent, an eagle displayed of the first. Crest: A mercury's cap or wings argent theron an eagle's head erased proper, gorged with a collar ermine. Also: Gules a demi-eagle erased with two heads sans wings argent. Also: Argent a chevron engrailed between three crosses patonce fitchee sable two lions combatant of the first. Also at Slebetch, county Pembroke: Argent on a chevron engrailed between two crosses crosslet fitchee sable two lions passant counter pass of the first. Crest: A demi-lion argent holding a cross crosslet fitchee sable. Those having similar coats-of-arms are doubtless related. The family has produced many distinguished men in England and America.
(I) James Barlow was brother of the grandfather of Richard R. Barlow, whose sketch appears in this work. He was born and lived at Manchester, England. Descendants of five or six of his brothers also have descendants living in the vicinity of Boston, Massachusetts.
James Barlow married in England, Elizabeth Chatterton; of their children, three grew to maturity and but four survived infancy.
1. Edward, died at age of eleven.
2. Sarah, married Matthew Bailey;
4. John W., mentioned below.
(II) John William Barlow, son of James Barlow, was born in England July 14, 1832, and died Sept. 7, 1892. He was educated in his native place and learned the trade of color maker in the Moston Mills, Newton Heath, Manchester, England, where he worked during his youth until he left for America in 1855. He found employment at once at his trade in the Pacific Mills of Lawrence as assistant color maker. He resigned in 1860 to establish himself in the restaurant business in Lawrence. He conducted this reataurant until 1865, when he engaged in the yarn printing business in Lawrence, later manufacturing loom pickers and dealing in mill supplies of various kinds. He built the Spicket Mills of Holly street, Lawrence, and conducted them until he retired about two years before his death. Since then the mills have been incorporated as the John W. Barlow Company, and are now under the managementof John H. Bevington, of Lawrence. He had exceptional natural ability, supplemented by excellent training in the mills of England and America. He had the self-confidence of the natural leader in business; his judgment was sound.
He was a faithful and earnest member of the St. Johns Protestant Episcopal Church of Lawrence, and was the first vestryman. An artistic memorial window in memory of Mr. Barlow was given to the church by members of the church, of which he was one of its generous contributors to benevolent purposes. He was a member of the Odd Fellows and also a Free Mason.
Mr. Barlow married, May, 1852, in England, Harriet Bruckshaw, born July 27, 1832, died at Lawrence, April 4, 1866. He married second, Sarah Elliott, born in Belfast, Ireland, died at Lawrence.
1. Alice, born Nov. 5, 1853; married Thomas Bevington.
2. Child, died in infancy.
3. Elizabeth, born March 9, 1860; married Frederick W. Kidd; no children.
4. James Elliott, born Oct., 19, 1868, drowned in Merrimac river at the age of sixteen.
5. Florence H., born Sept. 6, 1871, married William Leon McDavitt, of Lawrence; no children.
Richard Riley Barlow, since a number of years living in retirement in Lawrence, Mass., is a member of the second generation of his family in this country.
Samuel Stanley Barlow, father of Richard Riley Barlow, was born in England, and emigrated to the United States from Manchester. He became a collar maker in the Pacific Mills and subsequently an agent for that company, a position he filled for many years.
Richard Riley Barlow was born in Lawrence, Mass., May 19, 1856, and was educated in the public and high schools of his native town. At a suitable age he became an apprentice in the Pacific Mills, and like his father rose to the position of agent, from which he retired in 1897. He is independent in his political opinions.
He married Annie Elizabeth Sugden, born in Leeds, England, Jan. 25, 1856, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Atkinson) Sugden. John Sugden, who died in Lawrence, was a wool comb maker, and came to the United States in 1863, sending for his family the following year.
There are nine children now living of this family. Mr. & Mrs. Barlow have had children:
Elizabeth Beatrice, b. March, 1881, died in infancy.
another child, also died in infancy.
Richard Eversley, born July 17, 1886.
Helen Elizabeth, b. Sept. 19, 1890.
Samuel Stanley, b. May 7, 1893.
This surname seems to have been used interchangeable with Boston and Batson from ancient times in England and America to the present. The coats-of-arms of the three English familes Batson, Boston and Baston, are alike: Argent three bats wings or. This fact indicates possibilty that the name was derived from the creature's name, as many similar surnames, though the accepted derivation of Batson is from the diminutive Bat, for the personal name Bartholomew, with the termination son, like Jackson, Kitson, etc. But Boston appears to be a place-name from the town of Boston in England, and the similarity of the name may have led to the adoption of the bat as an emblem by the Boston family. One branch of the Boston family has a different coat of arms; Vert a lion rampant argent crowned or. Crest: a horse's head in armour proper. Another Baston armoral is: Quartery per fesse indented or and azure. Batson arms: Argent three bats wings sable on a chief gules a lion passant guard or.
The two original immigrants of the Batson and Boston name both settled at Wells, Maine. Stephen Batson, the only progenitor in America in the early dys of this surname was one of the grantees on the Indian deed of Wells, Oct. 18, 1649, but before the town was incorporated he removed to Drake's Island of which he was the first occupant, built a house the cellar hole of which is still in existence, in the center of which a great oak grown to maturity after the house was gone, dying of old age, indicates the antiquity of the landmark. He sold Drake's Island in 1652 to John Wakefield. One authority states that Stephen was in Saco as early as 1636; was admitted a freeman that year; married Mary ____ and second Margery ____. Stephen had a grant of land of ten acres in Wells, Oct. 21, 1645; land laid out at Cape Porpoise, Dec. 7, 1672, sold this land to his son John Feb. 8, 1672. This John appears to have been his only son according to his will March 8, 1674, but he mentions daughters Margery wife of Rowland Young; Mary Brookhouse (or Backus, as now spelled) and grandchild John Trott.
John married, 1660, Elizabeth, daughter of John Saunders, of Wells; was representative to the general assembly at York, 1682-4. He or a son of the same name deeded land at Cape Porpoise to John Fairfield, including a mill privilege on Middle river, Arundel, March 21, 1723; and a John Batson was a ship-builder in 1728 at Wells.
It seems certain that Stephen Batson and Thomas Baston, mentioned below, were of the same family. In the deeds of the Thomas Baston family the name is never spelled Batson, however, but frequently Boston.
(I) Thomas Baston settled in Saco, Maine, as early as 1666, and his descendants have been numerous in the Saco Valley, though the family has been relatively small. He was one of the eleven proprietors of the town of Wells, who on June 18, 1670, gave written authority to the board of selectmen whose election had been questioned. He received a grant of land in 1675. After the war he returned to Wells and hd some of his tax abated, with others afflicted by the Narragansett war. He was one of the constituent members of the church with John Wheelwright and ten others. He died before 1716, when his heirs signed as proprietors of the town. He removed from Wells for a time, and was of Ipswich, Mass. in October, 1683, when he sold to Thomas Wells of Amesbury, Mass., one hundred acres of upland and ten of meadow, in the town of Wells, bought of Francis Littlefield and Peter Cloyes. He did not sell all his land in Wells, for a deed dated May 3, 1713 to Daniel Baston, his son, from the other heirs, fixed the title of one hundred and fifty acres of upland and ten of meadow. This deed is signed by James, Gershom and Hannah Baston (Boston), Samuel and Dorcas Stewart, Sarah Boston, George Butland of Wells, county York, Benjamin and Mary Preble of York and Stephen and Abigail Wellman of Lynn, Mass.
Children of Thomas Baston:
1. Thomas jr., died before 1713, leaving only a daughter Abigail, who deeded her cousin Daniel Stewart her share in the estate of her grandfather, Thomas Wells, Sr., at Wells, by deed dated May 4, 1731.
2. James, mentioned below.
3. Dorcas, married Samuel Stewart.
4. Daniel, married Prudence; mentions in deed his "brother," Samuel Stewart, of Wells, May 15, 1724; also brother James as owning land adjoining his on the western part of Four-mile brook.
5. Gershom; deeded May 4, 1721, one hundred acres of land in Wells to James Allen, a parcel granted to Gershom May 12, 1719, and laid out May 21, 1719; he bought of his sister Mary and huband, Benjamin Preble, her share in his father's estate July 14, 1726; he bought Sept. 26, 1728, of William Duly, four acres at Scarborough, Maine; of Joseph Keen, land and mill in that town Dec. 21, 1728, and of Thomas Waterman land in Scarborough May 1729; probably lived at that town thereafter.
8. Daughter, married George Butland of York.
9. Abigail, married Stephen Wellman, of Lynn.
10. Mary, married Benjamin Preble.
(II) James Baston, son of Thomas Baston (1), was born in Wells, Maine, about 1665-75. When the courage of the settlers at Wells returned after King Phillip's war, James "Boston" was one of a number who received new grants, receiving in 1699 one hundred acres. At the same time his brother, Thomas, Jr., received a hundred accres adjoining his lot, and his brother-in-law, Samuel Stewart, another hundred acres adjoining. Each lot was three miles in length, and "was in Maryland at the head of the original lots below."
James Baston was one of the proprietors in 1716 signing the declaration of the proprietors that all common and undivided lands of the town belonged to them. Later there was much litigation over the boundaries of these grants owing to the difference of two surveys.
According to the history of Wells, James was the only resident of the town of the second generation in 1726. The brothers died or removed from the town to North Yamouth, Scarborough and elsewhere.
James Baston took a quitclaim deed of Obadiah Read of Boston to four hundred and fifty acres of land at Wells (Maine), May 24, 1710. Baston bought of Malachi and Elizabeth Edwards a half interest in the stream and falls in the "Negumqud" river, next to salt water, agreeing with said Edwards to build a grist mill there, Dec. 10, 1718. Edwards and Baston took as partners Samuel Stewart, mentioned above, and Francis Littlefield of Wells as partners, under agreement dated May, 1719, building and operating a saw mill on the "Orgunquit" river. Baston sold some land to James Littlefield in Wells May 20, 1728.
The following soldiers in the expedition to Canada in 1745 appear to be all sons of James Baston, all were of Wells, and Joseph, Shebuluth and Thomas were left in Canada when the company returned, perhaps dead.
Gershom, mentioned below.
Joseph, Shebuluth, Thomas, and probably daughters.
(III) Gershom Baston, son of James Baston (2), was born in Wells, Maine, about 1715. He was a soldier in Major Storer's company emlisted in 1744 for the war, and went to Canada with the expedition of 1745. His brothers, Joseph, Shebuluth and Thomas, all of Wells, were left in Canada. The records do not show whether they ever returned. Some of the company left behind did find their way home.
(IV) Daniel Baston, son of Gershom Baston (3), was born about 1740, in Wells, Maine. He was a soldier in the revolution in the summer of 1775, in Captain Joshua Bragdon's company, Colonel Scammon's regiment. There were a number of soldiers of this family from Wells. He settled in Denmark about 1775, among the first settlers of that town, and Boston Hills there were named for him. Soon afterward, he removed to Hiram Hill, across the Saco river, June, 1783, and became one of the first assessors of Hiram when the town was organized in 1803. It is believed that he went to Vermont late in life with his grandson and died there.
He married Catherine Harmon of Sanford, where they lived for a short time.
1. Winthrop, mentioned below.
2. Benjamin, married Mary Clark; lived in the valley between Mount Misery and Mount Cutler, on the old road (now known as the Boston road) leading to Saco river road; remembered as a stout-built man, with coarse features and shaggy brow, a blunt, rough old fellow, said to have removed late in life with a son to Woodstock: children: i. William, resided in Hiram; soldier in war of 1812; married Rebecca Durgin, dau. of John; ii. Joseph, resided in Boston, Mass.; iii. Harriet, married Abijah Lewis, in Hiram, and died in Harrison, Maine; iv. Mary A., married Erastus Stover; v. Louisa, married Samuel Clemens of Hiram, second Joseph Stover; vi. Royal, married Mary Snow, of New Hampshire; vii. Jane, married Abner Black of Lowell; viii. Deborah, married Samuel Lowell; ix. Gardner, married Maria Coffin, of New Hampshire.
3. Loammi, marred Rebecca Powers; inherited father's homestead, now or lately owned by Llewelyn A. Wadsworth, rhough the original house was burned in 1815; children" i. Lucy S., b. Oct. 9, 1808; ii. Phebe O., Dec. 6, 1809; iii. Hiram, Nov. 22, 1811; a well known citizen of Hiram, his son, Hiram Baston Jr. removed to Bridgton, Maine, and established a carriage manufactory, was active in various lines of trade, kept a hotel, married Mary H. Thompson...(children: Nathan P., soldier in the civil war; died at Rio Janiero; Lizzie M., graduate of Westbrook Seminary; for a tiem superintendent of the woman's dept. of the Maine Insane Asylum, m. Captain Andrew Fuller; she was a gifted writer, traveled extensively, and had a wide literary acquiantance; Reuben R., graduate of Bowdoin, 1875, and of the medical dept. in 1878, died of diptheria; Anna A., married William G. Dearborn, coal merchant, Boston; Frederick O., born Jan. 14, 1852, graduate of Bowdoin in 1875; principal of Berwick high school, Natick high school, Wellesley high school, treasurer of Natick Five Cents Bank since 1889; married July 7, 1884, Mary O. Hobbs; iv. Jason, b. Oct. 15, 1813; kept Mt. Cutler House at Hiram 1868 to 1883; v. Rebecca P., born May 10, 1817; vi. Mary E., b. Nov. 22, 1820, married Rev. John C. Perry, father of Hon. Albion A. Perry, formerly mayor of Somerville, Mass.
4. Royal, married ____ Leathes; six children; married second ____ Merrill; four children.
(V) Winthrop Baston, son of Daniel Baston (4), was born in Brownfield, Maine, about 1775-80. He married Huldah, daughter of John Robbins, and settled at Hiram, Maine, between land owned by his father and the farm of Joshua R. Ridlon.
Children, b. at Hiram:
1. Andrew S., mentioned below.
2. Mary, July 7, 1808.
3. Calvin, Oct. 29, 1810.
4. Luther, Nov. 28, 1812.
5. Hannah, 1814.
6. Daniel, Feb. 1, 1817.
(VI) Andrew S. Baston, son of Winthrop Baston (5), was born at Hiram, Maine, June 16, 1806. He married, Dec. 28, 1831, Emily Turner Newton, b. March 13, 1812, and died in California 1869, daughter of John Francis and Abigail Jackson (Greenough) Newton; she married second, in California, Michael Munroe. Her father died April 22, 1835; m. Aug. 6, 1807, Abigail Jackson, b. May 12, 1781, died Jan. 29, 1871, dau. of Samuel and Abigail (Jackson) GREENOUGH. Samuel Greenough was born in 1728 and died Sept. 22, 1796; Abigail Jackson was born April 20, 1746, died Feb. 20, 1831. The Greenough and Newton connection is of the old Boston families of those names.
Children of Andrew S. & Emily Turner (Newton) Baston:
1. Andrew Gardner, b. Sept. 27, 1833; mentioned below.
2. Frederick Greenough, b. Aug. 24, 1835.
(VII) Andrew Gardner Baston, son of Andrew S. Baston (6), was born Sept. 27, 1833. He married Feb. 1854, in Boston, Elizabeth Hurd, born Jan. 20, 1836, dau. of Alvin and Relief Harris (Dawes) Hurd. The ancestor DAWES, on the maternal side was one of the founders of the old South Parish; the grandfather of Andrew G. Baston was leading bass singer in that church, and at his death the church was draped in mourning for a given time, in token of respect to his memory.
Children of Andrew Gardner & Elizabeth (Hurd) Baston:
1. Dr. Frederick Sherborne, mentioned below.
2. Alvin Gardner, b. in East Boston, 1858, died in Elmira, New York, Feb. 22, 1866.
3. Charles I. or L., born Feb. 20, 1860.
(VIII) Dr. Frederick Sherborne Baston, son of Andrew Gardner Baston (7), was born in Boston, Sept. 3, 1855. He attended the public schools of East Boston and Boston during his youth. He studied the profession of dentistry in the office of Dr. John A. Brown, of Boston. He began the practice of his profession in the fall of 1881. He has had offices in both Boston and Norwood for many years. He has made his home sicne June, 1884, in Norwood. He is a Congregationalist in relgion and a Republican in politics. He is a past grand of Tiot Lodge, No. 50, I. O. O. F.; member of Orient Lodge, F. A. M.; Hebron Chapter of Norwood; Cyprus Commandery, K. T., of Hyde Park; Aleppo Temple, Order of the Mystic Shrine, of Boston; of the Mass. Dental Society; the Norwood Businesss Association, and the Board of Trade.
He married, June 26, 1884, Estelle Frances Howes, born Jan. 10, 1862, in East Boston, daughter of John Franklin and Sarah Fraces Ellis (Lewis) Howes.
1. Avis, born July 7, 1885; graduate of Mt. Holyoke College.
2. Henry Lombard, born May 30, 1887.
3. Doris, Feb. 18, 1889.
4. Frederick Sherborne, Jr., born Nov. 6, 1893.
Austin BEARCE (1), born 1618, died 1697, came over in the ship "Confidence" of London, from Southampton, April 24, 1638, and was then twenty years of age. He came to Barnstable with the first company in 1639. He became a member of Mr. Lothrop's church, April 29, 1643. His name stands at the head of the list, he being the first named who joined after its removal from Barnstable. He appears to have been very exact in the performance of his religious duties, causing his children to be baptized on the Sabbath next following the day of their birth. His first son, Joseph, was born on Sunday, Jan. 25, 1651, and was carried two miles to the church and baptized the same day. He was a grand juror in 1653 and 1662, and a surveyor of highways in 1674. He was one of the very few against whom no complaint was ever made; a fact which speaks well for his character as a man and a citizen. He had children, born in Barnstable, Mass.
1. Mary, born 1640.
2. Martha, born 1642.
3. Priscilla, born March 10, 1643-4; married 1660, John Hall, Jr.
4. Sarah, born March 28, 1645; married Aug., 1667, John Hamblin.
5. Abigail, born Dec. 18, 1647; married April 12, 1670, Allen Nichols.
6. Hannah, born Nov. 16, 1649.
7. Joseph, born Jan. 25, 1651; married Dec. 3, 1676, Martha Taylor.
8. Hester, born Oct. 2, 1653.
9. Lydia, born Sept. 30, 1655.
10. Rebecca, born Sept., 1657; married Feb., 1670-1 (?), William Hunter.
11. James, born July 31, 1660, see below.
(II) James Bearce, youngest child of Austin Bearce, was born the last of July, 1660, as the records say, and died at Plympton (now Halifax) Mass., 1728. He was admitted townsman of Barnstable in 1683. His portion of the common lands indicates that he possessed property above that of the average citizen of the town. In 1694 he bought a large tract of land on the east shore of Monponsett pond, within the present limits of the town of Halifax, Mass., and moved there with his family soon after. He lived a quiet and blameless life, and as fast as his sons grew to manhood divided his large holdings of land among them.
He married, 1683, Experience ____, both of whom were among the first members of Rev. Isaac Cushman's church.
Children, all b. in Plympton (now Halifax):
1. Shubael, died Feb., 1774; married Nov. 16, 1709, Thankful Ford.
2. James, died 1763; married Sept. 23, 1713, Abia Ford.
3. John, died 1761, see below.
4. Experience, married March 12, 1719, Dennis Egerton.
5. Priscilla, married Feb. 12, 1718, Josiah Bourne.
6. Thankful, married Dec. 19, 1718, Elisha Curtis.
7. Mary, married Dec. 10, 1718, Elisha West.
8. Daughter, name unknown; married Joseph Chard.
(III) John Bearce was born in Plympton (now Halifax) Mass., and died there 1761. Upon coming of age he received a part of the tract of land on Monponsett pond purchased by his father in 1694. Here he lived and died. He held town offices at various times, and performed his duties in a conscientious and creditable manner.
He married, May 12, 1720, Sarah Holmes, born April 11, 1703, in Plymouth (now Kingston), daughter of Joseph and Mary (Brewster) HOLMES. Joseph Holmes was born in Duxbury, July 9, 1665, died June 26, 1733. Mary Brewster was born Feb. 10, 1678-9, died April 17, 1761, dau. of Wrestling BREWSTER, who died Jan. 1, 1696-7, and his wife Mary, who died Nov. 12, 1742. Wrestling Brewster was son of Love (?) Brewster, who married May 15, 1634, Sarah, dau. of William Collier, of Duxbury. Love Brewster was son of Elder William Brewster of the "Mayflower," born 1566, died April 10, 1644; married before 1592, Mary ____, born about 1568, died April 17, 1627. Elder Brewster's father was William Brewster.
Joseph HOLMES was son of Rev. John Holmes, who died in Duxbury, Dec. 24, 1675; married Dec. 11, 1661, Mary Wood, who died Jan. 6, 1714-15, dau. of John and Sarah (Masterson) Wood, she dau. of Richard and Mary (Goodall) Masterson. Rev. John Holmes was son of William Holmes, born in England, 1592, died Nov. 9, 1678, at Marshfield, Mass.; married Elizabeth ____, born 1602-03, died Feb. 16, 1688-9.
John and Sarah (Holmes) Bearce had children, the first two born in Plympton (now Halifax) the others in Halifax, Mass.:
1. Joseph, born March 26, 1721; married Nov. 17, 1743, Hannah Holmes.
2. Gideon, March 6, 1723, died 1761; married June 13, 1751, Abigail Ripley.
3. John, Oct. 28, 1724, died July 16, 1806; married Abigail Holmes.
4. Lydia, Feb. 23, 1729; married July 9, 1747, Zaccheus Fish.
5. Mary, Dec. 17, 1730; married Feb. 16, 1762, Simeon Hall.
6. Sarah, March 10, 1732; married April 16, 1765, Nathaniel Hathaway.
7. Deborah, Nov. 10, 1735.
8. Jerusha, born May 13, 1738.
9. Asa, May 13, 1740, see below.
10. Kesia, Jan. 13, 1744; married Nov. 16, 1767, Samuel Jennings.
11. Rainy, baptized 1750.
12. Levi, born June 13, 1750, died Dec. 17, 1826; married Feb. 22, 1768, Bathsheba Wood.
(IV) Asa Bearce, son of John and Sarah (Holmes) Bearce, was born in Halifax, Mass., May 13, 1740, and died in Hebron, Maine, July 15, 1829. He was a lieutenant in the revolution, commissioned June 6, 1776. He was an early buyer of land in Shepardsfield (now Hebron) Maine, securing five or six lots prior to 1786. He was chairman of the committee appointed by the general court, Sept. 2, 1789, to appraise the lands in Maine, and was chairman of the committee chosen by the inhabitants of Hebron to forward their petition for incorporation to the general court; the first town meeting was held at his house, he being chosen first treasurer of the town.
He married, Nov. 27, 1760, Mary Randall (5), of Pembroke, Mass., born July 13, 1740, in Pembroke, died April 15, 1825, in Hebron Maine, dau. of Job (4) and Mary (Jennings) RANDALL. Job (4) Randall, third son of Job Randall Jr. (3), born in Pembroke, Mass., "died on the first day of December, 1759, at Boston on his return home from the reduction of Quebec;" married March 4, 1736, Mary, daughter of Isaac Jennings of Pembroke. Job Randall Jr., son of Job Randall Sr., born in Scituate, Mass. Dec. 4, 1682, died in Pembroke, Mass. April 25, 1766; married Ursula, dau. of Thomas and Sarah (Crooker) Macomber, of Marshfield, Mass. Job Randall Sr. (2) born Feb. 8, 1654, in Scituate, died in Scituate Oct. 10, 1727; married Mary ____. Job Randall St., was son of William and Elizabeth Randall of Scituate. William Randall, born in England, 1609, died in Scituate, Mass. Oct. 13, 1693; married, about 1638, Elizabeth Barstow. Their son, Job Randall (2), born in Scituate Feb. 8, 1654, died Sept. 19, 1727, married first, Elizabeth ____; second, Mary Ridley, May 13, 1720. Job Randall Jr. (3), was born Dec. 4, 1682, died April 25, 1766. Thomas MACOMBER, son of William and Priscilla Macomber, married Jan. 20, 1676-7, Sarah, daughter of Francis and Mary (Gaunt) Crooker.
Children of Asa and Mary (Randall) Bearce, all but the youngest born in Halifax.
1. Ursula, born 1762, died April 23, 1849, in New Gloucester, Maine; married July 14, 1780, Captain Jabez Cushman.
2. Asa, Jan. 20, 1765, see below
3. Job, Sept. 29, 1767, died Nov. 18, 1818, in Hebron, Maine; married April 11, 1793, Betty Turner.
4. Charles, March 26, 1770, died Jan. 16, 1855, Minot, Maine; married first March 19, 1795, Elizabeth Fogg; second, April 8, 1821, Mary Dunham.
5. Seth, Feb. 15, 1774, died Aug. 13, 1861, Hebron Maine; married Feb. 25, 1801, Mary Ann Babson.
6. Isaac, Aug. 22, 1776; married Aug. 4, 1800, Abigail (Bonney) Blake.
7. Polly, married May 23, 1798, Alexander Greenwood.
8. Lucy, March 12, 1786, died Oct. 12, 1820, Hebron Maine; married Oct. 27, 1805, Ebenezer Donham.
(V) Asa Bearce, son of Asa and Mary (Randall) Bearce, was born in Halifax, Mass., Jan. 20, 1765, and died in Minot, Maine, Sept. 8, 1856. In addition to his creditable reputation as a farmer, he gained considerable fame among the frontier towns as a trapper and hunter.
He married March 1, 1790, Rhoda Weston, born May 5, 1767, died Jan. 13, 1859, daughter of John and Mercy (Sampson) Weston.
John WESTON, born Kingston, Mass. Feb. 17, 1728-9, married June 29, 1749, Mercy Sampson, born May 15, 1731, dau. of Peleg and Mary (Ring) Sampson. John Weston was son of Jonathan Weston, born Duxbury, married May 8, 1728, Mercy Rickard. Jonathan Weston was son of John Weston, born Duxbury, 1662, married Deborah Delano, who died 1726. John Weston was son of Edmund Weston, born 1605, died 1686. Philip DELANO, grandfather of Deborah Delano, married Esther Dewsbury, 1634, and had son Thomas, who married Mary Alden, dau. of John and Priscilla Alden of the "Mayflower." Mercy RICKARD was dau. of Henry and Mercy (Morton) Rickard, he son of Giles and Hannah (Dunham) Rickard, married Oct. 31, 1651, the former being son of Giles Rickard of Plymouth, botn 1597, died 1684, who married first, Judith ____; second, 1662, Joan Tilson; third, 1669, widow Hannah Churchill. Hannah DUNHAM was daughter of John and Abigail Dunham, of Plymouth, Mass. Peleg Sampson, born Plympton, Nov. 12, 1700, died April 27, 1741; married Nov. 7, 1722, Mary Ring, born 1700, dau. of Eleazer and Mary (Shaw) RING, he son of Andrew and Deborah (Hopkins) Ring, married April 23, 1646, she dau. of Stephen and Elizabeth Hopkins of the "Mayflower." Peleg SAMPSON was son of Isaac Sampston, born 1660, died Sept. 3, 1726; married Lydia, dau. of Alexander and Sarah (Alden) Standish, he son of Captain Miles Standish, she daughter of John and Priscilla Alden. Isaac Samspon was son of Abraham Sampson, born England, died after 1686; married dau. of Lieut. Samuel Nash of Duxbury.
Asa and Rhoda (Weston) Bearce had children, alal born in Minot, Maine:
1. Lucinda, born June 6, 1790, died May 28, 1861, Hebron Maine; married Nov. 20, 1811, John Bonney.
2. Sylvina, Sept. 25, 1792, died June 23, 1857, Hebron, Maine; married Sept. 19, 1819, Daniel Bearce.
3. Anna, May 30 1794, died Feb. 10, 1870, Turner, Maine; married Oct. 16, 1817, Abner Chase.
4. Asa, April 24, 1796, see below.
5. Oren, March 2, 1798, died Feb. 10, 1883; married Sept. 26, 1819, Susan Harlow.
6. Sophronia Cushman, Oct. 11, 1799, died Sept. 23, 1852; married Nov. 28, 1832, Nathan Parsons Haskell.
7. Polly Randall, Dec. 29, 1801, died March 2, 1885, Hebron, Maine; married first, Samuel Bridgham, July 4, 1824; second, Samuel Freeman, Dec. 19, 1836.
8. Lucy, Aug. 14, 1804, died Dec. 29, 1864; married Nathaniel Pike.
9. Abigail, Aug. 14, 1804, died Sept. 14, 1814.
10. Simeon Lovell, Sept. 18, 1807, died Jan. 18, 1866; married Jan. 14, 1841, Caroline Thomas.
(VI) Asa Bearce, son of Asa and Rhoda (Weston) Bearce, was born in Minot, Maine, April 24, 1796, and died in Auburn, Maine, Aug. 26, 1879. He followed the occupation of farmer and teacher, and was successful in both. He was chairman of the board of selectmen of Minot, Maine, for many years; represented his town in the state legislature; received a pension from the United States government for services in the War of 1812; and taught for more than thirty years in the district schools of Minot, Turner and Hebron, Maine. One of his pupils, ex-Governor Samuel Merrill, of Iowa, on his last visit in the East, paid a high tribute to him both as a man and teacher.
He married May 21, 1843, Lucy Greenwood Bridgham, born June 3, 1813, died April 19, 1899, Auburn, Maine, dau. of John and Elizabeth (Greenwood) Bridgham.