Topsfield, Essex Co., Ma - Vital Records To The End Of 1849
Published By The Topsfield Historical Society
Topsfield, Mass. 1903
[Transcribed by Dave Swerdfeger]
THE following records of births, marriages and deaths include all entries to be found in the books of record kept by the town clerks; the church records now in the custody of the town clerk; the returns made to the Salem Quarterly Court; cemetery inscriptions; and a private record of deaths, covering the pe110d of 1790-1853, now in the possession of Mrs. George Warren Towne, of Danvers, Mass.
These records are printed in a condensed form in which every essential particular has been retained. All duplication of the town clerk's record has been eliminated, but differences in entry and other explanatory matter appear in brackets.
Parentheses are used only when they occur in the original record, usually enclosing the maiden name of a wife.
When places other than Topsfield and Massachusetts are named in the original records, they are given in the printed copy. Marriages and intentions of marriage are printed under the names of both parties. Double-dating is used in the months of January, February and March, p1101 to 1750; whenever it appears in the original and also whenever from the sequence of entry in the original the date may be easily determined. In all records the original spelling of names is followed and in the alphabetical arrangement the va1ious forms should be examined, as items about the same family may be found under different spellings.
The Indian name for this locality was "Shenewemedy," but the first settlers applied the name of "New Meadows" to the grant of land which was made by the General Court, Nov. 5, 1639, to inhabitants of Salem and Ipswich.
The population of Topsfield at different periods was as follows: