A catalogue of the names of the first Puritan settlers of the colony of Connecticut;
with the time of their arrival in the colony and their standing in society,
together with their place of residence, as far as can be discovered by the records.
&c collected from the state and town records by R.R. Hinman,
Hartford. Printed by E. Gleason, 1846,
[Transcribed by Dave Swerdfeger]
THE FIRST PURITAN SETTLERS OF WINDSOR. (cont.)
Harrison, John Wethersfield, died in 1664—children, John 22, Joseph, Thomas, Mary and Sarah.
Hallaway, John 1640—viewer of chimneys in '48.
Hallet, James 1644.
Hastlewood, Richard mariner in 1649.
Hayes, Jacob 1649.
Hawley, Samuel one of the settlers in Stratford in 1640.
Hart, Stephen deputy in 1646-48-49.
Haward, Robert 1649.
Hammon, William 1640.
Hawks, John Windsor, 1640.
Hawkins, Anthony first of Windsor—he moved to Farmington, and died there in 1673. Left Ann, his widow—and children, John 22, Ruth 24, Sarah 16, Elizabeth 14, and Hannah 12 years of age.
Harvey, Edward deputy in 1646, juror in '47.
Hale, Nathaniel 1645.
Hale, John made a freeman in-1645, surveyor of highways in '44.
Hardy, Richard a freeman in Fairfield in 1642.
Hall, John Hartford, 1639—collector of customs at Middletown, in 1659.
Hall, John, jr. Middletown—a carpenter—died in 1673, aged 89.
Hall, Thomas Hartford, 1639, viewer of chimneys in '45.
Hale, Samuel Hartford, 1639—juror twice in '43—and in '45 was fined 30 nobles for drinking ardents contrary to law.
Haynes, Joseph Hartford, 1644.
Hayden, William Windsor, 1639--came in the 2d colony in '39—juror, in '43; he was frequently a juror, deputy and assistant.
Harris, Richard Wethersfield, 1641.
Harwood, James 1647.
Hews, John, Hutchinson, Edward, and Richard Smith were appointed selectmen for (Westchester[ now in the state of N.Y.] crossed out) at Smith's trading-house, in July, 1663. Richard Smith, jr. was appointed constable, and sworn by Richard, sen'r, by order of the General Court—and the place was named Wickford—and was taken under the jurisdiction of Connecticut; which was effected by John Talcott, Esq., as agent of the General Court.
Hemsted, Richard Hartford, 1644.
Heyton, William Hartford, 1639.
Heyton, Thomas 1642.
Hewit, John 1645.
Hillyer, Benjamin 1648.
Hillyer, John Windsor, came in 1639 with Mr. Huit.
Higley, Edward 1649.
Higginson, John Pastor at the Fort in Saybrook in 1638—land holder in Hartford in '39.
Hill, William Windsor, came in the 2d colony in 1639. Was appointed in '39, to view arms and military provisions in each town—deputy in '39-41 and 44—auditor of public accounts in '39; after which he was assistant—and collector of customs at Fairfield, in '59. He was a prominent man in the colony.
Hill, Luke Windsor, 1651.
Hills, William Hartford, constable of Hartford in 1614, fined £4 for burying a gun and breaking open the cobler's hogshead in '40.
Higginson, John Hartford, 1642.
Hitchcock, Luke a juror in 1649.
Hoyt, Walter Windsor, 1640.
Hoyt, or Hoyette, Simon 1639—came to Windsor in the 2d colony in '39.
Hoyt, Nicholas Windsor—married Susannah Joyce in 1646.
Horton, William 1645.
Holton, William was in the division of land in Hartford, in 1639.
Hopkins, William assistant in 1641-2.
Hopkins, Thomas Hartford, 1639. ERRATA On page 5th, where speaking of Rev. Henry Smith having the charge of the church at Wethersfield, in 1636, I should have stated they had no ordained minister. Mr. Smith was not installed or ordained over the church at Wethersfield until about 1640 or'41. Peter Prudden, who was ordained at Milford in 1640, preached at Wethersfield in 1638. He was preparing, in 1638, to locate at Milford as soon as a sufficient number of settlers had moved there from New Haven and other places. It appears from all the facts which can be gathered, that no regular preaching was had at Wethersfield until the ordination of Mr. Smith, as be was the first ordained minister there.
Hopkins, Edward Governor—was born at Shrewsbury in England, in 1600. He was a merchant by profession and practice, in London, and came to New England with Mr. Davenport who settled at New Haven in 1638. If Mr. Hopkins made any stay at New Haven, it could not have been long, as he was a member of the Committee of the General Court of Connecticut in 1638. This was his first, appearance officially in the Colony. When the General Assembly convened in April, 1639, under the Articles of the Confederation of Hartford, Windsor and Wethersfield, Mr. Hopkins appeared as one of the house of magistrates, and the same year was chosen Secretary of the Colony, and performed the duties of both offices. At this time no man in the Colony was more popular than Mr. Hopkins. In 1643-5-7-9 and 1651 and '53, he was elected Deputy Governor of the Colony, and in 1640-4-6 8-1650-2 and 4 he was Governor of the Colony, and performed the duties of the high, honorable and responsible offices in which he had been so early placed to the satisfaction of the people. In 1643 he was a Committee with Major General Mason and Mr. William Whiting to press men to defend Uncas with arms. He was united with Gov. Haynes to form a combination with Massachusetts. He was one of a Committee of seven to build the first vessel in the Colony. He was one of the Committee of three persons to consult with the Elders concerning the sin of cursing father or mother, incorrigibleness, banishment and contempt of ordinances, lying and breach of promise, and to form laws against such offences. This was probably the Committee who formed the code of Criminal Laws of 1642, punishing twelve different offences with death, most of which laws remain in the statutes of Connecticut, with such alterations in language and punishments as the times have required. He was elected a member of the United Colony Congress in 1643-44-46-57 48 19 and- 1651. The General Court were uniformly liberal to all their public officers, and gave them lands, and bestowed upon them privileges denied to others. The General Court gave to Gov. Hopkins the exclusive trade in beaver with the Indians at Waranock, and at all places up the Connecticut River for the term of seven years. Governor Hopkins was not only one of the best, but one of the most able and efficient men in the new world at that day. He finally returned to England, and died in London, March, 1657, aged 57 years. He had disposed of his property in New England, by will, to public and charitable uses—£1000 of which he gave for the support of grammar schools at Hartford and New Haven, and this fund is yet kept entire for the worthy object for which it was given by the testator. Those who have received their instruction under this liberal bounty of Gov. Hopkins, even at this late period, will not forget their liberal benefactor.
Hopkins, John Hartford, 1639, selectman in '40—in the land division in '39—juror in '43. The name of Hopkins has been respectable in the colony from its first settlement.
Hancock, George 1663.
Hanford, Rev. Thomas the first minister at Norwalk, 1654.
Howell, John deputy in 1662—assistant and magistrate.
Hosmer, Thomas Hartford, was constable in 1636, '39 and '63, selectman in '42 and '46—often a juror and deputy—once fined 5 shillings for being tardy on the jury, and was a magistrate in '47. He was several sessions a member of both houses of the General Court. He was a gentleman of good standing in the town and colony. He was the ancestor of Stephen Hosmer, Esq., and of Chief Justice Hosmer, deceased, and of the Hosmer family of Hartford. He was a brother of James, of Concord, Mass., and came from the county of Kent, in England. James came with his wife and two children in the ship Elizabeth to Massachusetts, from England, and settled at Concord.
Hosmer, Stephen Hartford, 1674.
Hayes, Nicholas Windsor, married in 1646, and had sons, Samuel, Jonathan, David and Daniel—perhaps son of Jacob.
Hoskins, Anthony married Isabel Bowen, in 1656--children, Isabel, John, Robert, Anthony, Rebecca, Grace, Jane, Thomas and Joseph.
Hoskins, John Windsor—he was a Committee to the Gen. Court in 1637. He died in '48, and left a widow and son Thomas, with a fair estate for his family. He was probably the same who was admitted freeman in Massachusetts in '31 or '34.
Hoskins, Thomas Windsor, married Elizabeth Birge—died in 1666, and left a son John, and a widow, who died in '75. He came from Dorchester early to Windsor.
Hillyer, John, (in No. 1,) resided in Windsor near the mill south of Little River—was in Windsor as early as 1640. He was the ancestor of those of the name in Granby, Hartford, and other towns in the State. Left children, John, Mary, Timothy, James, Andrew, Simon, Nathaniel, Sarah, and Abigail, who was born in 1654. He died in 1655 or '56.
Harris, Daniel Leutenant, 1660.
Huntington, Thomas is found first upon the land record at Windsor, in 1656—he probably came there some time before. He left Windsor and moved to Saybrook, and at or after the settlement of Norwich he moved there. Thomas is the only one of the name who came into the colony before 1663.
Huntington, Simon, or Simeon made free under the Charter, 1663.
Houltan, William Hartford, 1639.
Hart, John died in 1666, and left a son and other children. He probably came from Cambridge, and the son of Stephen who came to Hartford before 1639. Constable in '64.
Hart, John Farmington, juror in 1730, supposed son of Stephen.
Hart, Thomas made free under the Charter, 1663.
Henbury, Arthur land record, Windsor, 1669.
Holmes, William In 1633-4 he resided in Plymouth, Mass., and was about to erect a trading-house on the Connecticut River, (in the present town of Windsor.) He procured the frame, boards, and other things necessary to put up a house, and put them on board a vessel, and with his men sailed for Connecticut. He held a commission from the Governor of Plymouth to accomplish the work. When he had gone up the river as far as Dutch Point, where Hartford now is, he found the Dutch were before him, and had made a small fort, and had planted two cannon. The Dutch officer forbid Holmes passing, and ordered him to strike his colors, or he should fire upon them. Holmes rephed, he had a commission from the Governor to go up the river, and passed the fort without injury or a gun's being fired. He soon landed his materials and put up the house a little below the mouth of Little River, in Windsor. It was fortified with palisadoes. The land where the house was erected was immediately afterwards purchased of the Indians. This was the first house built in the colony.—Dr. Trumbull.
Hale, Thomas Hartford, in 1639—was viewer of chimneys in '45.
Hall, Richard had his cider stolen by three men in 1664, each was fined £2 for the offence.
Hall, John Hartford, 1639, (in No. 1,) moved to Middletown, died 1673. Son Richard had children, Samuel and John, Sarah his daughter married Thomas Wetmore.
Hall, John Middletown, grand juror 1661—perhaps son of Stephen.
Hall, Timothy is found on Windsor land record, 1664.
Hull, Cornelius deputy in 1663.
Hardy, Richard Fairfield county, made free in 1662—supposed of Stamford.
Haughton, Morton at New London in 1662.
Haughton, William Hartford, 1649.
Humphrey, Michael 1645, in the land record, Windsor. Married P. Grant, 1647. Children, John, Mary, Samuel, Martha, Sarah, Abigail and Hannah. As he was the only person of the name who came early into the colony, he was probably the ancestor of those of the name in Simsbury. Granby and other parts of Connecticut, and of the Hon. Friend Humphrey, of Albany.
Hyde, William Hartford, surveyor of highway in 1641—he was in the colony in 1639.
Hyde, Humphrey Windsor, 1640—on land record of Windsor.
Hayward, Robert Windsor record, 1643—probably Howard.
Hosford, William came to Windsor early—he was Committee to the General Court in 1637.
Hull, Josias formerly of Windsor—was made free in 1662. from Fairfield county.
Haynes, John, Governor came from Essex, England, to New England, in 1633, with Rev. Thomas Hooker and others. He located first in Massachusetts, where he was made a freeman in 1634, and as he had been known in England as a gentleman of high standing, by many of the settlers in the new colony, he was the same year elected an assistant, and the following year was made Governor of the colony. It has been stated by some historians that Gov. Haynes removed to Hartford in 1636, but his first appearance, upon the record is, that at the November General Court of 1637, he was a member of that Court, and presided over their deliberations, for the first time. He continued president of the House of Magistrates during the remainder of 1637, and the whole of 1638. Mr. Ludlow had uniformly presided at the General Court from its formation until Gov. Haynes was placed in his seat in November, 1637. At the time of the organization of the Colony Government in 1639, by Articles of Confederation by the towns of Windsor, Hartford and Wethersfield, Mr. Haynes was chosen the first Governor of Connecticut, in April, 1639. He resided in Hartford, and continued to be elected alternately Governor of the colony eight years, viz. in 1639-41-3-5-7-9-1651 and '53. He was also elected Deputy Governor in 1640-4-6-1650 and '52. Previous to the year 1647 no salary had been allowed or claimed for performing the duties of governor, but the services had been rendered entirely for the good of the public. But in 1647 a law was enacted giving the governor of the colony an annual salary of £30. The General Court were liberal to Gov. Haynes, and though there was a great scarcity of money, so much so that they were obliged to resort to wampum for a circulating medium in business, and at one time made wheat and peas a lawful tender for debts, yet they were rich in public lands. And in 1642 the General Court made a grant of 1000 acres of land in the Pequott country to Gov. Haynes. The same year he was appointed with Mr. Hopkins to go to the Bay, to intercede for a combination of the New England colonies. During the year 1642 he was associated with Mr. Whiting and others to build a ship by the aid of the towns. In 1639 he was appointed by the General Court with a large committee, to agitate the business of another Indian war (against the Quinnipiacs,) with power to press 20 arms, 2 shallops and 2 canoes for the service; and 40 men had been ordered to be raised in the three towns upon Connecticut River. In 1640 Gov. Haynes and William Goodwin, as agents for the town of Hartford, purchased Farmington of the Indians, which included Southington, and was bounded West upon the Mohawk country. In 1641 he was one of a Committee to consult with George Fenwick, Esq. for the purpose of obtaining liberty of him to manufacture salt upon Long Island Sound, and take fish there. While he was Governor, he presided not only over the deliberations of the Gen. Court, but acted as Chief Judge of the Particular Court, which was holden five and often six times in the year, besides attending to his own private concerns, and the business of the various committees on which he was appointed by the General Court. Gov. Haynes was one of the great and good men of his day in the colony and country. His whole time appears to have been occupied in the service of the public until his death. In addition to his other important places of trust, in 1646, while he was acting as Governor, he was appointed a Commissioner to the United Congress of the Colonies. A vast deal more might be said of the public honors conferred by Connecticut upon Gov. Haynes, but enough is here collected to satisfy the object of the writer in this publication. Governor Haynes had married two wives, by whom he had eight children, viz. Robert, Hezekiah, John, Roger, Mary, Joseph, Ruth and Mabel. The four eldest sons settled in England; Hezekiah occupied Copford Hall, where his father had formerly resided in Essex, before he came to New England; Joseph settled in Hartford as pastor of Mr. Stone's church, after Mr. Stone's decease, he married a daughter of Richard Lord, of Hartford, and many of the descendants of Joseph are yet in Connecticut; Ruth married Hon. Samuel Wyllys, of Hartford; Mabel, the youngest daughter of Gov. Haynes, married James Russell, of Boston. The name of Haynes is not now in the State, as known to the writer, though the blood of the Governor circulates in the veins of many in Hartford, yet but a single family have honored their worthy ancestor with even the Christian name of Haynes, (Haynes Lord Porter.) Joseph, Ruth and Mabel were by the second wife of the Governor. Joseph married and had sons; his son John was a gentleman of importance in the colony, and for a time was a magistrate and judge—and the name became extinct in the colony in this generation. He had no sons who left sons.
Haines, Joseph Wethersfield, 1664.
Hanmer, William came late to Windsor.
Hawkins, John died in 1676, unmarried—was brother in law of John Judd, cousin of Joseph Judd—had a sister Ruth Hawkins and Mary Judd, and sisters Sarah, Elizabeth and Hannah.
Harris, Richard (in No. 1,) died in 1666, unmarried. This is an ancient and early name in Wethersfield—there are many of the name in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Andrew was in Massachusetts as early as '39. Thomas was at Providence in '37. Toleration was killed by the Indians in '75. The name was common in Massachusetts in the early settlement.
Harris, Samuel(Samuel crossed out) taverner at Middletown in 1659.
Harris, John came to Boston from London, in the ship Christopher, in 1634.
Holt, Mary Hartford, whipt, and ordered to leave the conoly in '39.
Hackleton, Hannah in January, 1665, was indicted for three offences against the laws of God and man. To the first she pled guilty. On the charge of murder and blasphemy she pled not guilty—but confessed she had said "there was as much mercy in the devil as in God"—was found guilty on the first charge, and on the third, that she had been guilty of express, direct and presumptuous blasphemy against God—but acquitted on the charge of murder.
Hagborn, Samuel 1663.
Holridge, Mary Fairfield county, 1661.
Hooker, Rev. Thomas was born at Marfield, in Leicestershire, Eng. He was educated at Emmanuel College. He had preached at Chelmsford, but was silenced for his religious opinions, and fled to Holland. His church in England were anxious to be again under his instruction. They emigrated to Cambridge in Massachusetts, in 1632; when they wrote to Mr. Hooker in Holland, inviting him to come to New England, and again become their religious instructor. Mr. Hooker at once engaged Mr. Samuel Stone who was a Lecturer in England to become his assistant in the ministry, and took passage for America. He landed at Boston upon the 4th day of September, 1633. Governor Haynes, Rev. John Cotton and others came with him. Soon after his arrival he met his church and friends at Cambridge; as be met them, he exclaimed with the Apostle, "Now I live, if ye stand fast in the Lord." He at once became pastor of his old church, and Mr. Stone took his place as teacher. Soon after this time the Watertown, Newtown and Dorchester settlers began to talk of emigrating to Connecticut; and the spirit for removal soon spread through the church at Cambridge. Many of the people of Dorchester and Watertown had moved to Connecticut; and in June, 1636, as liberty had been granted them to remove, Mr. Hooker with his family, Mr. Stone, and about 100 others, men, women and children, started through the trackless wilderness, guided by a compass, for Hartford. They reached their destined home with many hardships in due time in safety. They found themselves located in an immense forest, surrounded by savages, and deprived of all the conveniences and comforts to which they had been habituated in England, and the savages jealous of the new intruders upon their corn fields and hunting grounds only the more excited them to revenge the wrong, and make them greedy for blood. The settlers soon prepared themselves against the dangers from the Indians, by watch and ward, day and night. Mr. Hooker and Mr. Stone were soon organized with the church, and became the principal advisers in all matters both civil and religious. They were strictly the pioneers of Hartford. Though Mr. Hooker did not appear to seek after civil appointments, yet such was the confidence of the General Court placed in his integrity and ability, that he was occasionally appointed upon important committees. In 1639 Mr. Hooker and Mr. Wells were appointed by the General Court to consult with Mr. Fenwick "concerning the Bay's aiding Connecticut in an offensive and defensive war; also relative to the bounds of Patents on Connecticut River." In 1640 a long controversy had subsisted between Leut. Robert Seely and the Plantation of Wethersfield, he with Mr. Wells were appointed arbitrators to close the controversy. He received other appointments from the General Court. Mr. Hooker closed his usefulness in the colony and the world by his death, which occurred in 1648. He left an estate of about £4000 to his family. His children were, John, Samuel, Sarah, Joannah and Mary. Joannah had married Mr. Shepard, and Mary Mr. Newton, and had children before the death of Mr. Hooker. Sarah married Rev. John Wilson. In his will he laid a special injunction upon his son John, forbidding him settling in England, yet be gave him leave to marry there, but enjoined upon him to return and settle in New England, which fully proved his attachment to his religion and his adopted country. Samuel succeeded Rev. Roger Newton, first minister of Farmington, in 1649, and preached there 40 years until his, death. He was the ancestor of nearly all, (if not all) of the name in New England, and well may they be proud of their ancestry, so long as they sustain his reputation by their own equally meritorious acts.
Hungerford, or foot, Thomas on the record is spelt Hungerfoot until October, 1664, after which it is spelt Hungerford—the last is the name in England. He held land in Hartford before 1639. He died in '62, and left children, Thomas aged 15, Sarah 9, and Hannah 4 years old. He moved down the river, probably to Haddam or New London. Ancestor of William Hungerford, Esq. of Hartford.
Horton, Barnabas of Southhold, L.I., in 1663 was appointed a Commissioner for Southhold with John Young. The Commissioners on Long Island were vested with the power of magistrates upon the Island, with orders from the General Court to administer the oath to all the freemen there under the Charter of Connecticut. Thomas, Springfield, 1639.
Hamlin, Giles Middletown, 1663 was an assistant in 1685, and as early as '73. At a special session of the General Court held at Hartford in '73, to prepare against an apparent war with the Dutch, the Governor with Giles Hamlin, Capt. Benjamin Newbury, William Wadsworth, Capt. William Curtiss, Leut. William Fowler, and Leut. Thomas Munson, assistants in the colony, were appointed to act as a Grand Committee of the colony, in establishing and commissionating military officers, pressing men, horses, ships, barks, or other vessels, arms, ammunition, provision, carriages, &c. as they should judge needful for defence; and to manage, order and dispose of the militia in the best way for the safety of the colony.
Hurlbut, Thomas Wethersfield, one of the first settlers, juror in 1645 —appraiser of Elson's estate in '48—was fined 40 shillings for excess in prices in '42—clerk of training band in Wethersfield in '40. He was a man of good standing; often on the jury and deputy—supposed to be the brother of William at Windsor. He was the ancestor of many of the name in Litchfield county. Constable in '64.
Hurlbut, William Windsor—went to Windsor in the 2d colony in 1639. Gideon, Fairfield, juror in 1730.
Hopewell, Thomas 1671.
Hutchinson, Capt. Edward A letter was sent by the Council to Narragansett, informing the people there, that Richard Smith, senior, Capt. E. Hutchinson and Joseph Hewes were appointed selectmen at Smith's trading house, and that Richard Smith, sen'r. was appointed constable by the Council, for the town, and named the town Wickford. [This was an error in No. 1—it should have been as above.] Edward, of Boston, opposed the law of 1658, punishing Qeuakers with death for returning to the colony of Massachusetts after they had been banished.
Hutchinson, William died in 1643, and left a widow.
Holcomb, Thomas came to Windsor in the 2d colony with Mr. Huet in 1639. He was a member of his church in England, and came with him. In 1649 Mr. Holcomb, E. Griswold, J. Bartlett, F. Griswold and G. Griswold resided in a remote section of Windsor, called Poquonnock, near the Indians. The General Court allowed one soldier to be exempt from training, that he should remain at home on miiitary days to protect these famihes from depredations by the Indians. They resided by the brook about a quarter of a mile south of the present meeting house at Poquonnock. (There was no settlement in East Windsor until 1659. The first settler there was Edward King, an Irishman from Windsor—he built a house there, and afterwards gave one half of it to his son.) Mr. H. died n 1657. His widow married again. His children, Abigail, Joshua, Sarah, Benajah, Deborah, Nathaniel and Jonathan. His son Joshua married Ruth Stanwood in 1663, and had three children. Benajah married Sarah Eno, and had Benajah and James.—Hayden Record.
Hull, George Windsor—surveyed Wethersfield in 1636—deputy in April, August and September in '39—was a magistrate and member of the General Court often. He was allowed to trade for beaver on the river—was one of the Gen. Court that declared war against the Pequotts in '37; and he surveyed Windsor and Wethersfield by order of court the same year. He was a man of great worth in the colony.
Hull, John married Elizabeth Loomis, of Windsor, in 1641. He came from Dorchester. A committee of the General Court in 1637-8-9.
Hull, Josiah Hartford, 1640.
Hudson, or Hudgsou, John an atttorney at Hartford.
Hussey, Stephen 1663.
Hunt, Ephraim 1642.
Hunt, Thomas was made free, 1663.
Edmund, Cambridge '34.
Howard, Robert Windsor—juror in 1643 and '49—land record in '46. His descendants are several of them now in Windsor—though there are few of the name in the State—they have sustained a good reputation.
Howard, Robert Hartford—a miller, admitted an inhabitant 1661.
Hurd, John Stratford, 1618 deputy from Stratford, constable of the town in 1657. He was one of the principnl men there.
Hubbard, Thomas Wethersfield—licensed to trade for beaver in 1638. He moved to Middletown, where he died in '71. Children, Mary 17, Thomas 10, Ebenezer 7, John 4 and George 1 year old.
Hubbard, George, jr. died in 1775, unmarried.
Hubbard, William Windsor, 1640.
Hubbard, William resided in Windsor, within or near the public palisadoes.
Huntly, John New London, 1671.
Huet, Rev. Ephraim in 1639 he came from England to act as colleague with Rev. Mr. Warham at Windsor, and was so settled there over the church. He was accompanied by several members of his church from England-He was a gentleman of education and of exemplary piety. He died in 1643 or 1644, and left a widow and four daughters, viz. Susannah, Mercy, Lydia and Mary, with a large estate.
Hollister, Joseph was one of the early settlers of Wethersfield—he was juror in 1644—was deputy five sessions of the General Court, and was a leading man in Wethersfield, and held many offices. He died in '74. He probably came from Weymouth. He was a brother of John and Thomas. The name is yet in Glastenbury, Washington and other places in the State.
Hollister, John Wethersfield, 1664. His children were, John, 22 years old—Thomas, Joseph, Mary and Sarah.
Howell, John assistant in 1647-8-9, probably a descendant of Edward, of Lynn.
Hobart, Thomas 1643. Caleb, of Braintree, was probably his ancestor, perhaps the son of Edmond.
Holyoke, Elizur brother in law to Edward Stebbins. I find him in the colony, but it is probably Elizur who resided at Sprinfield, the son of Edward, of Springfield.
Hobby, Jonathan Greenwich—juror.
Hill, William (in No. 1, of Windsor,) moved to Fairfield in 1658, and was appointed Collector of Customs there in '59. (Hill, Thomas, Fairfield, juror in 1730.) William Hill, N. Gold and Mr. Sherman, of Fairfield county, were ordered to examine a letter which had been sent to Bridget Baxter from her husband in England, (she having petitioned for a divorce from him,) and compare the letter with his other writings, and if they found a strong similarity in the hand writing—then to declare to the said Bridget that the Court frees her from her matrimonial bond with said Baxter.
Harrison, John Wethersfield—died in 1666, and left children, Rebecca, Mary and Sarah—left no sons. He left to his widow and three daughters an estate of £929. He was an early settler in Wethersfield, and came from Watertown to Wethersfield.
Harrison, Catherine(spelt Kateram) Wethersfield, tried for witch craft in 1669, and acquitted.
Hayden, William,(in No. 1.) He is said to have been one of the little band of brave men who fought the bloody battle against the Pequotts, under Capt. Mason, and exterminated the tribe. About 1665 he removed from Windsor to Killingworth, and died there in 1669. He was the father of Daniel, who was the father of Samuel, who was the father of Nathaniel, who was the father of Nathaniel the father of Levi.—Jerrett.
Higley, John supposed the son of Edward of Windsor, (in No. 1,) married Hannah Drake, in '71, and had Jonathan, Hannah, John and Rebecca.
Higginson, John, (in No. 1,) the 2d minister of Guilford, removed 1659.
Hensdell, Robert Hinsdel.
Howell, Baker and Mason magistrates in 1664.
Howe, Mr. was elected magistrate in 1647.
Harvey, John 1664.
Husted, Robert made free under the Charter, 1663.
Ince, John was a land holder in Hartford in 1639. He died at sea. He had resided at Boston. His claim to the land in Hartford was forfeited, and voted by the town to the Hon. John Cullick, which afterwards greatly enhanced the value of his estate.
Ingersoll, Dorothy married Mr. Phelps, of Windsor, 1676.
Ingersoll, Hannah married Mr. Kelsey, 1676.
Ingersoll, Margery was not married in 1676—(these three are suppossed to have resided at Windsor.) There were Ingersolls at Westfield or Springfield in the early settlement of those towns. Jonathan, of Fairfield, a juror in 1730. Jonathan, of New Haven, Leut. Gov. from 1815 to '23. Hon. Ralph I., and Charles A. of New Haven, 1846. Jared, 1765, of New Haven, stamp-master, ancestor of Hon. Charles J., and Joseph R. of Philadelphia, 1846. All of whom perhaps originated at Springfield.
Ireland, Samuel fined 10 shillings for contempt of Court, in 1639.
Judd, Thomas Hartford, 1639 and '41—deputy in '46-8-9. He probably is the same Thomas Judd who came from Cambridge to Hartford, and from thence to Waterbury in the first settlement of the town. Deputy and grand juror in '62—was frequently a deputy—a deputy in '63—freeman in '63. He had a grant of 400 acres of land if it could be found between his and the land of Anthony Hawkins, in '61. Perhaps of Farmington. (Thomas, of Waterbury, was the great grandfather of Jonathan, the first minister of Southampton, Mass.) He was an original proprietor of Hartford, and in the land distribution in '39.
Jessup, John 1637. This name is yet in Fairfield county.
Johnson, Mary 1646. In '48 being arraigned before the court for witchcraft, she confessed herself guilty of familiarity with the devil. This is the first case for witchcraft found upon the colony record. There is no record of either a sentence or execution in her case to be found. Perhaps she might, in the frenzy of that day upon this subject, have been executed.
Johnson, Thomas died in 1642. This has been a name of great note in this State since the days of Dr. Johnson, of Stratford.
Johnson, Isaac 1630.
Judson, Joseph came early to Hartford from Concord, Mass., and soon after became one of the first settlers in Stratford about 1639 or '40. He was the son of William, who had resided at Concord. He came from England in '34. Deputy in Stratford, '62-3. Appointed with John Hurd in '63 to settle the bounds of Norwalk and Fairfield. Jeremiah, of Hartford, 1730.
Judson, William of Stratford, probably father of Joseph—in 1645 was the collector for the town of Stratford, of the annual funds to support students in Cambridge College. J. Farmer says, "he was of Concord, 1635, came to New England in '34 with his sons Joseph, Jeremiah and Joshua. He removed to Hartford in '39." He with his family soon moved to Stratford.
Jackson, Christopher 1656.
Jackson, Thomas do.
Jones, Richard died in 1670. Children, David, Elizabeth, Mary and Patience.
Jones, William Deputy Governor from 1692 to '98.
Jones, Thomas Fairfield, 1655, moved from Concord to Fairfield in '55.
James, Joseph Fairfield county—had trouble with Mary Holridge. 1661.
James, Thomas 1639. Probably the same man who went missionary to Virginia in '43, and afterwards moved to New Haven.
Jennings, Nicholas Hartford, 1639.
Jennings, Joseph died in 1676—left no family.
Jennings, John Hartford, 1639. There are some persons of this name in the west part of Connecticut. He was employed by the town of Hartford in '64, to sweep all the chimneys in Hartford, at 6 pence for brick, and 3 pence for clay chimneys.
Jennings, Joshua Hartford, 1688.
Jacob, Peter 1647.
Jecoxe, or Jacocks in the colony, 1647.
Jeffries, Gabriel Saybrook, 1663.
Robert Jeffries with his wife and three children came to New England with William Hilher, in the Elizabeth and Ann--- Cooper, master.
June, Jonathan Hartford, 1639.
Kirby, John Hartford, 1645—of Middletown in '70, where he died in 1671. He left a widow, son Joseph 21 years old—his son John died before he died. Mary, aged 31, married Emmanuel Buck, of Wethersfield—Elizabeth died before her father—Hannah 27, married Thomas Andrews—Hester 25, married Benajah Stone—Sarah 23, married Samuel Hubbard—Dethiah 18—Susannah 13, and Abigail, were unmarried at his death. David Sage appears to have married one of the daughters, as he appeared as legatee or heir in the distribution of the estate.
Kelsey, William was in the colony in 1639. It is a common name at Milford. He was in the distribution of lands in Hartford in '39, and had 16 acres. After his decease, his widow, Bethiah, married David Phillips, of Milford. The town of Hartford, in '64, offered him £10 to remove from Hartford with his wife.
Kilbourn, John Wethersfield, was the son of Thomas, who came to New England in the ship Increase, Robert Lea, master, and brought with him his wife Margaret, and daughthers Lydia, Maria and Frances, and moved from Massachusetts to Wethersfield, when his son John was, quite young, in the early settlement of the town. Thomas was nearly sixty years of age when he moved his family to Wethersfield. John became an active and useful man in the colony. He was juror, grand juror and deputy in 1663, and held other offices in the town and colony. He settled many estates of deceased persons.—George Kilbourn, of Rowley. The names of several persons who came to this country with Mr. Kilbourn and his family are names yet familiar in the town of Wethersfield, viz. Buck, John Warner, &c., who probably moved to Wethersfield in company with him.
Keeler, Ralph Hartford, 1639, viewer of chimneys in '45. The name of Ralph is a family name in Ridgefield. Samuel Keeler, a juror in Fairfield, 1730.
Knowles, Alexander resided in Fairfield in 1654, and was appointed an asssistant there, to aid the magistrates in holding courts, and to marry persons—to press horses by warrant on sudden emergencies, and other duties. He was an important man in that section of the Connecticut colony. He came from Massachusetts, where he was made a freeman in 1636. He with William Hill and N. Gold were appointed by the General Court, in 1660, to try and settle the dispute between Norwalk and the Indians.
Kelting, Thomas 1644.
Kellogg, Nathaniel 1639.
Kitwell, Samuel fined 10 shillings for drinking ardents contrary to law and good morals.
Kircum, Thomas Wethersfield, 1646.
Kimberly, Eleazer Wethersfield, 1673. Secretary of the Colony from 1696 to 1709—grand juror, 1672. Nathaniel, of New Haven, was accepted as an inhabitant of Hartford, 1659. Nathaniel, of Wethersfield, 1663.
King, John 1656.
Knap, Thomas died unmarried, in 1669.
Kempe, Daniel 1663.
Keeny, William a land holder about New London in 1650—deputy in '62. Alexander, Wethersfield, '76.
Kessar, or Kessan, William juror in 1641.
Lathrop, Samuel in 1647 was one of the principal men of New London. The town had been slowly settling before this time, but the removal of the Rev. Richard Blynnman to New London added greatly to the importance of the place. They had as settlers at this time not only Mr. Lathrop and Mr. Blynnman, but John Winthrop, James Avery, Thomas Minot, Robert Allen, and many others. Mr. Winthrop was appointed to superintend the affairs of the new settlement, and the inhabitants were exempted of all colony rates for three years. In 1648 a court for the trial of small causes, consisting of Mr. Winthrop, Mr. Lathop and Minot, was formed there by the Gen. Court.
Law, Richard Wethersfield, in 163S. The General Court gave him permission to trade with the Indians. He moved to Stamford, and became an important man there. He early came out in favor of Stamford's being under the Connecticut Charter and colony, and in favor of paying taxes to the colony. He was the ancestor of Jonathan Law, Governor of Connecticut from 1742 to 1751, and Deputy Governor from 1725 to 1742—of the former collector of customs at New London—of Judge Law—of Hon. Lyman Law, and the Law family in Connecticut, which has done the State so much honor in high places of public trust.
Law, George 1641. The connexion of Richard, George and William is not found, if any; from the Christian names in the Law family there appears to be only one family of the three first settlers.
Law, William Hartford. In 1639 he was in the colony, and was selectman of Hartford in '40 and '44.
Lay, Edward was in the second land division of Hartford, and had six acres of land, with liberty to fetch wood and keep swine and cows on the common.
Lamberton, Deliverance 1663.
Larraby, John 1674.
Lake, Thomas There have been several Thomas Lakes in Massachusetts. The name of Thomas appears to be a family name. Persons of this name resided at Stratford.
Lay, Robert resided at Six Mile Island, in the vicinity of New London, in 1665. His daughter Ann married John Denison. He was ordered, in '60, to take charge of Mr. Fenwick's estate, and to account for it to the court. John Lay, an executor in '64.
Lay, Peter was probably a son of Robert.
Langdon, Anthony 1647. There have been several eminent men in New Hampshire and Massachusetts by this name; but there is no record in the colony which shows that Anthony was alhed to those famihes.
Langdon, Andrew a juror in 1643, with Andrew Landon. He resided in Hartford as late as '64.
Lampson, Edward as he was from Cambridge, probably- came with the other settlers of Hartford. And Barnabas residing there in 1635, and Edward coming from Cambridge in '44, he might have been the son of Barnabas.
Lattimore, John was fined 15 shillings for drinking ardents, in 1639, contrary to law.
Lattimore, Mrs. Wethersfield, 1662.
Latham, Cary 1649. He went to New London- in the early settlement of the town—was an active man, and received appointments from the town and General Court. Some of his descendants now reside at Groton—one of them was a State Senator in 1845.
Latham, John New London, 1664.
Landon, Andrew Hartford, was juror in 1643—probably the ancestor of John Landon, formerly sheriff of Litchfield county. Few of the name are in Connecticut at this time.
Lanson, Samuel was tried in 1670 for robbing a mill at Wethersfield, and another at Branford, at several different times, and breaking prison at New Haven, then hiding a half year in the wilderness to escape punishment—for which he was fined £20, and sold in Barbadoes as a servant for four years.
Leonard, Robert on the jury, 1645.
Lettin, Richard 1647—removed to Huntington, Long Island, and in the difficulty there in '63, about submitting to the Charter of Connecticut, the General Court ordered him to depart from Huntington for his turbulent conduct.
Lettin, Mrs. had liberty to move to Fairfield in 1662, if the town would receive her.
Lee, Edward 1647. This name was in Massachusetts earher than in Connecticut.
Lewis, William Hartford, 1639—juror in '42. In '49 he was a sergeant for Farmington to train the men there. Some famihes of the name now reside there, and are probably the descendants of William. He came from Cambridge, and was in the land division of Hartford, in 1639.
Lewis, Philip Hartford, 1645.
Leverson, Sanders 1663.
Lindsly, Sarah 1663.
Lord, Thomas came to Hartford from Cambridge, Mass., in 1636. His ancestor was John Lord, and was in the division of lands at Hartford in '39. His children were, Thomas, Richard, William, Dorothy, Robert, John and Amy. He is the ancestor of the Lord family of this State.
Robert Lord Fairfield, 1730.
Lord, Thomas, Jr. Hartford. In 1652 was a surgeon and physician, and thought of leaving Hartford; to prevent which the General Court contracted with him, that if he would remain in Hartford one year, and use his best skill with the inhabitants of the towns upon the river, both for setting bones and in the practice of physic, that the Court would pay him a salary of £15; and that he should in addition receive for visiting at any house in Hartford, 12 pence as reasonable pay; any house in Windsor, 5 shillings; any house in Wethersfield, 3 shillings; any in Farmington, 6 shillings, and in Mattabesck, (Middletown,) 8 shillings. Dr. Lord informed the Court he required no more. A law was therefore enacted to this effect, confirming the contract. The Doctor was also by the law freed from watching, warding and training, but not from finding arms. He was the first physician mentioned upon the record, and was probably the first regular bred surgeon in the colony, or he would not have been thus by the General Court solicited to remain in Hartford upon a salary paid by the public. Some of the Lord family settled at Haddam, Saybrook and New London. The next surgeon employed by the public was Daniel Porter. In 1655 the General Court ordered him to be paid out of the public treasury, a salary of £6, and 6 shillings a journey to each town on the River, to exercise his art of Chirurgery (surgery.)
Lord, Richard son of Thomas, constable of Hartford in 1642, and selectman in 1644—was fined £5 for drawing his sword with threats, about trading for corn with the Indians. He with Mr. Thomas Stanton were licensed to trade with the Indians on Long Island for corn for the period of 12 months, in 1642. He was a man of great energy, and an original settler. In 1657 he was appointed captain of the first troop of horse ever raised in the colony. All troopers on duty could cross ferries free of toll, by law. The officers and men were paid a salary by the public for doing military duty in the troop. He was in the land division at Hartford in 1639. He came from Newtown in Massachusetts with the other emigrants to Hartford in its early settlement After several years spent in Hartford, he removed to New London, where he died.
Lord, John 1648—a brother of Thomas, jr., and son of Thomas, sen'r., was one of the first settlers. Lockwood, Robert, came as early as 1649 to Connecticut from Cambridge, and probably was one of the settlers of Norwalk. There are now in Norwalk some ancient and respectable famihes of the name. He was confirmed by the General Court as a sergeant at Norwalk as early as '57. Ludlow, Hon. Roger, came to Massachusetts, and settled at Dorchester in 1630. He became an assistant in that colony for three or four years —was then elected Deputy Governor of the colony, and removed as early as 1636 to Windsor. He probably came to Connecticut in the autumn of 1635, as he presided at the first Court organized to try Styles in April, 1636. It would have been difficult for him to have arrived in the colony thus early in the spring of 1636 either by land or water. Mr. Ludlow was uniformly a member of the General Court from its first organization in April, 1636, until the Confederation by Constitution, of Windsor, Hartford and Wethersfield in 1639, and presided at the General Court until March or November, 1637, when Gov. Haynes was made the presiding officer until he was elected Governor of the Colony, and Mr. Ludlow Deputy Governor, in 1639. He had been a member of Mr. Warham's church, in England, and came with him to New England, in 1630. He presided at the Court of Magistrates and Committee in 1637, that declared war against the Pequotts. He held the office of Deputy Governor in the Colony during the years 1639-42 and 48, and was at the head of the Court of Magistrates in 1649—was repeatedly on committees to produce a Union of the New England Colonies. He was one of the most useful men as well as able pioneers of Connecticut, and greatly benefitted the progress of the colony in the early settlement. In 1646 he was appointed by the General Court to form a code of laws. As early as 1639 Mr. Ludlow aided in settling a few famihes at Uncoway, in Fairfield—after these famihes had moved there from Windsor, another company joined them from Wethersfield, and soon after another from Massachusetts, which were shortly after formed into a town under Connecticut. In 1640 Mr. Ludlow purchased that part of Norwalk which was located between Saugatuck and Norwalk rivers, and Captain Patrick purchased the tract of land immediately west of the land so purchased by Mr. Ludlow; and the few planters who had moved there purchased the west part of Norwalk—all of which was purchased of the Indians. The exact time of his removal to Fairfield is not known to the writer, probably about 1650. He is first found on the record at Fairfield in 1652-3. He remained there but a few years before he removed to Virginia, (1654) where he died.
Lyman, Richard Hartford. He came into the colony as early as 1639, and held several offices—was a juror, &c., but died in '40, and left a competent estate to his widow and children. His sons were, Richard, Robert and John; and his daughters, Sarah, and Phillis the wife of William Hills. He probably came from Northampton, and a brother of John and Robert.
Leffingwell, Thomas of Saybrook, 1637, afterwards of Norwich. Upon the settlement of Norridge, (Norwich) he with Major Mason, Thomas Tracy, Baldwin, Reynolds, Backus, Hyde, Post, settled in Norwich with Mr. Fitch, nearly at the same time. He was one of the original contractors with Uncas and his sons and others for the town of Norwich in 1659. He appeared as attorney for John Gager at Norwich, in a case where Gager had been robbed by the Indians in 1673. He was a deputy in 1662. Dr. Trumbull says, that during the war of Incas and the Narragansetts, his fort was beseiged and his provision nearly exhausted. Uncas gave notice to the scouts who had been sent from the fort; upon the intelligence reaching Mr. Leffingwell, who was an ensign at Saybrook, he loaded a canoe with provisions, and under cover of the night, paddled his canoe into the Thames and lodged it safe in the fort of Uncas. For this noble act he gave a deed of all or a large part of Norwich to Mr. Leffingwell.
Loomis, John settled in Windsor in 1639. He came with Mr. Huet, and was a juror in '42. Col. James Loomis and some other persons in Windsor possess lands there which their ancestors purchased of the Indians, when the town was first settled. All the persons by this name in the State appear to have descended from those who came to Windsor on its first settlement.
Loomis, Timothy came to Windsor from Massachusetts with the second colony in 1639. He was afterwards recorder of the town for several years. There are no persons of the name of Loomis who came into the colony except those who came to Windsor.
Loomis, Joseph married Sarah Hill, Windsor, 1646. Juror in '44.
Loomis, John, 2d. married Elizabeth Scott, Windsor, 1648—son of John.
Loomis, Samuel constable of Windsor, 1664.
Lockman, Govert 1649.
Lobdell, Simon 1649. Sued Jared Spencer in '60.
Loveland, Thomas 1670. There was a Robert Loveland in Massachusetts in 1645.—Farmer.
Loveland, John died in 1670, and gave his estate to his widow.
Loveland, Robert 1664, Westchester.
Loveridge a deputy in 1661.
Lyon, Richard Fairfield, 1653.
Lyon, Henry Fairfield, 1657.
Luxford, Stephen died at Haddam in 1676. There were two by the name of Luxford in Massachusetts—one in '34, and the other in '74—both by the name of Reuben.—Farmer.
Mason, Maj. Gen. John Of this extraordinary man of early days, Dr. Trumbull remarks, "that he was bred to arms in the Dutch Netherlands, and came from England to Masswhusetts with Mr. Warham in 1630, and settled at Dorchester; that he came to Windsor as early as 1635 with the pioneers of that settlement. He was made a magistrate as early as 1642 in the new colony, and held the office until he declined it. He was elected Deputy Governor in 1660, and held that place until 1669. In 1647 he removed his family to Saybrook, to have the oversight of the fort, and in 1659 removed with several other famihes to Norwich, where he resided until his death. He was tall and portly—full of martial fire—neither feared or avoided danger—shunned no hardships where the colony had an interest. He possessed not only prudence and heroism, but great wisdom in all his military movements. "He was one of the fathers of the colonists. He afterwards, with Mr. Hooker, Gov'rs. Haynes, Hopkins, Webster, Welles, Talcott, and Messrs. Ludlow, Warham, Wyllys, Whiting, Wolcott, Phelps, Swain, Steel and Mitchell, all of whom were magistrates, (except the clergy) in the direction of the affairs of the colony religiously and civilly. in 1637 he commanded the little and valorous army who conquered and exterminated the Pequott nation of Indians (in the southeast part of Connecticut.) For this expedition ample provision was ordered by the General Court, among which were one good hogshead of beer for Capt. Mason, the minister, (Mr. Stone,) and sick men—three or four gallons of strong water, and two gallons of sack. He was made the first major general in the colony in 1637, and was called upon the record, "the Public Military Officer to train the Military men in each Plantation 10 days in a year," with a salary of £40, payable quarterly from the public treasury. In 1637 the General Court sent him with 20 men to reinforce the garrison at Saybrook, but soon after his arrival Capt. Underhill came with 20 men from Massachusetts for the same purpose, and Major Mason returned with his men to Hartford. In 1637, in November he was a member of the General Court, and was frequently a member of both Houses of the General Court previous to his being Deputy Governor. At the time he was deputy in 1638, he with other members, were not present at the opening of the General Court, for which each of them were fined 1 shilling for failing to be at the House at 7 o'clock in the morning at the roll-calL.In 1637 he was allowed by the Court to trade with the Indians for himself, and for such as were in want of corn. The same year he was sent by the Court to Waranock to treat with the Indians to pay their tribute—to aid in defraying the expense of the Pequott war—to the amount of one fathom of wampum a man. He was also one of the Committee to establish the bounds of Poquannock plantations. In 1639 he was of the Committee to agitate the question of declaring war against the Quinnipiac Indians, with power to press fire arms, shallops and canoes for the service—forty men having previously been raised by the three towns on Connecticut River for the expedition. In 1641 the General Court gave him 500 acres of land at Pequott for his valor at Mystic, and at the same time gave to his officers and soldiers 500 acres, who had left nearly six hundred wounded and dead red men upon the battle field at Mystic, in 1637. In 1642, such was the confidence of the General Court in the good judgment of General Mason, that they appointed him with two others, to procure some pieces of ordnance from Piscataqua, and erect fortifications at the discretion of the Committee. The same year he and Mr. Whiting, were sent to Long Island and upon the Main, to collect tribute of the Indians. He was one of the Committee to build a ship by the towns. He was twice appointed with Jeremy Adams to settle a trade with the Indians for corn. He was of the Committee to treat with Hon. G. Fenwick for liberty to make salt and take fish upon Long Island. He was one of the Committee to press men with fire arms to defend Uncas. No act of his life more fully shows the esteem in which he was held in the colony, than when the General Court was apphed to by the colony of New Haven to obtain the services of Major Mason to head their troops for the purpose of driving the Dutch and Indians from their Delaware lands, and settle there with promises of great reward;—to see the General Court so promptly and peremptorially refuse all rewards to him as any inducement to spare him to settle in any other colony upon any terms. So high did he stand in the colony not only as a brave officer but as a statesman, that in 1647 he was appointed a Commissioner to the Congress of the United Colonies; also in 1654-5-6-7 and 1661. It would require a volume to recapitulate the services Gen. Mason rendered the colony, and the honors and rewards bestowed upon him by Connecticut. No man in the colony was more serviceable, and all things considered, as much so, as Maj. Mason, particularly in all transactions with the natives. The bloody battle at Mystic had terror-stricken every Indian in the land, and no man was as much feared, and at the same time revered by them. He was in fact the General Jackson of his day, as an Indian fighter; and as a civilian he held many places of power and trust in the colony, the duties of which he discharged in such a manner as proved him as safe a counsellor in the cabinet as he was efficient in the field. In one other respect his character resembled that of the Hero of New Orleans, whose military glory was so resplendent, that though he was afterwards Presidant of the United States, he never lost the title of General: so with the Hero of Mystic, though he was Deputy Governor, assistant, and member of the Colony Congress, his titles of Captain and Major have been preferred by his friends before all his other appointments, so much so that he is often familiarly recorded, when speaking of him, as "the Captain," "the Major," without any name being attached to his title. Major Mason closed his most useful life at Norwich, in 1672, at the age of 72 years.
He left seven children, viz. Priscilla, who married James Fitch in 1664; Samuel, who left no sons; his son John was wounded in Philip's war, and died in 1676—he left a widow and children, viz. John and Ann—the last John, the grandson of Major Mason, married the daughter of Samuel Mason, (a relative) and by her had a son Samuel. The other children of Major Mason were, Rachel, Ann, Daniel and Elizabsth. Daniel married Miss Hobart, and had a son Samuel. Jeremiah Mason, LL. D., of Boston, is a descendant.—Robert, the proprietor of New Hampshire. The posterity of Major Mason are at this day numerous in Connecticut, particularly in New London county. In Hartford several of the Wadsworths, and Nathaniel and Harvey Seymour, Esq'rs. are the direct descendants of General Mason.
Mason, John, Robert Chapman and John Clark of Saybrook, in 1654, were appointed to press men for an expedition against the Dutch.
Mason, Edward 1639-40.
Marvin, Matthew was surveyor of highways at Hartford, in 1639 and '47—was an original propritor and settler in Hartford before '39. He came from England in the ship Increase, R. Lea, master. He removed to Norwalk, and was freed from training and watching there in '59, and was a deputy to the General Court from Norwalk in '54. The family were of some distinction in Fairfield county for many years. Marvin, Reinold, died at Saybrook in 1665. He moved early to Saybrook, and in 1662 the Court ordered the marshal to go to Saybrook and distrain £50 of him for disobeying an order to look up some horses which had been in litigation between him and M. Griswold—and awarded half to the plaintiff and defendant equally, and the other half to the colony. He moved to Saybrook in 1639, from Hartford. He left a son Reinold, (he was in the colony in 1637.) His daughters were, Hannah, Mary and Sarah. Hannah married Francis Barnerd in 1644; Sarah married William Goodrich, and Mary married Richard Bushnell in 1648.
Martin, Anthony died at Middletown in 1673, and left three children—John 11 years old, Mary 7, and Elizabeth 2. He probably was the son of Samuel who came early into the colony. The principal settlers of Middletown were either direct from England, or from Hartford and Wethersfield, but principally from Hartford—some were from Chelmsford, Rom-1y and Woburn in Massachusetts. In the fall of '51 it had many settlers, and in '53 was called Middle Town.
Martin, Samuel was in the colony in 1645—juror in '47.
Martin, Thomas The townsmen of Hartford refused to receive him as an inhabitant in 1660.
Mascall, Thomas Windsor, died in 1671, and left three children.
Marsh, John Hartford, 1639. In '60 the town of Hartford gave the Jews who lived in the house of John Marsh, liberty to remain in Hartford seven months. He signed the agreement to remove to Hadley in '59.
Markham, William Hartford, signed the agreement of the 60 to remove to Hadley, in 1659.
Maudsley, John Windsor. He is not found as early as the name is found in Windsor.
Marvin, Richard 1662.
Manvill, Matthew in the colony in 1639.
Mayo, Samuel in 1653 complained to the General Court that Baxter had seized his vessel and goods under a pretended commission from Rhode Island, for which Baxter was tried.
Maverick, John came to Massachusetts in 1630 with Mr. Warham, and was chosen teacher and pastor with him over the church which came with him, and settled awhile at Dorchester, Mass. He did not move to Connecticut.
Maybee, Nicholas 1664.
Marshall, Samuel Windsor, magistrate in 1638—deputy in '37. He died in '75. His children were, Samuel, Lydia, David, Thomas, Mary, Eliakim, John and Elizabeth. He was often a juror and deputy, and held other offices of trust and honor, and was a leading man in the town. He was licensed to sell liquors by retail, not to be drank in his house, in '63. Samuel, son of Daniel, married Mary Wilson in '52, and had Samuel, Lydia, and seven other children.
Marshall, Thomas was in the colony as early as 1637. He died in '71, and left a son and two daughters. He came from England in the ship James, John May, master, in company with Samuel Bennett, R. Palmer, Solomon Martin, John Hart and William Hill, all appeared to have settled in Connecticut.
Marshall, James came to Windsor with Mr. Huet in 1639—perhaps a brother of Samuel.
James Marshall was grand father of deacon Daniel Marshall, born in 1706.
Marshall, Ann Windsor, 1639.
Maskell, Thomas married Bethia Parsons in 1660. Children were, Thomas, (died) Abigail, Thomas, John and Elizabeth.
Maynard, John was in the colony at Hartford as early as 1639—surveyor of highways in '41 and in '48—had 14 acres of land in the distribution of upland in '40, at Hartford.
Marshfield, Thomas appears to have left the colony in 1643. He came as early as '39. He was a gentleman of good standing, but had difficulty in the church.
Marks, Richard 1647.
Meigs, John constable in 1663. The family moved to Middletown. So far as I have known those of the name in Connecticut, they have originated from John Meigs, who settled at Middletown. He might have been John, of Weymouth. The family have not been numerous —but of high reputation.
Merrick, Thomas was appointed in 1638, with Major Mason and Jeremy Adams to treat with the Indians for corn. Whether he resided at Hartford or Springfield in '33 is not asserted—but it appears it is the Welchman who came to Springfield about the time it was settled by Mr. Pyncheon and his company in '36. He had a suit at law in Connecticut a few years after.
Mead, John at Hartford in 1640—moved to Fairfield. Gabriel was of Dorchester in '38. The name continued in Massachusetts as late as '90, and has been frequent in Fairfield county, Connecticut.
Mead Joseph was made a freeman in Fairfield or Stamford, 1662.
Messenger, Edward 1663—supposed of Windsor.
Merrills, John Windsor—grand juror in 1672-7--chimney viewer in '63.
Meggs, John was held by the Court in the office of constable over those constables appointed by the town, though they had submitted to the government, in 1663.
Miles, Moor free in 1663.
Mills, Simon Windsor, married in 1639. The name of Mills was in Massachusetts as early as '30. Simeon was early in Connecticut, and the name is now common in this State.
Mills, Simon, jr. married Mary Buell, 1650; and had Mary, Simon, John, Hannah, Sarah, Abigail, Elizabeth, Prudence, and Simon born in '78—son of Simon, sen'r.
Mills, Richard 1644.
Mills, Samuel made free in 1663.
Mills, Richard do. do.
Minor, Thomas at New London in 1665—he was at New London previous to 1665. He came from Massachusetts where he was made a freeman as early as 1634. There are many of the name in Connecticut at this time, and I find no other person of the name who came into the colony in its early settlement. His son was the first prepared and educated missionary among the Indians in this colony. Mr. Minor with M. Griswold and William Waller were appointed in 1663, to settle the line between the town of New London and the land of Uncas. He was a strict puritan, and had much to do in church affairs.
Mitchell, Matthew Wethersfield—a member of the General Court in November, 1637—March, 1637—April, 1633—February, 1637, and deputy in May, 1637. He was on the General Court who declared war against the Pequotts, and held many offices in the colony. He had a controversy with Deacon Chaplin, and was ordered by the Court to make him satisfaction in some public meeting, or own his fault; not having done either, the good people of Wethersfield elected him constable, but as he was under censure of the Court—his election being reported for confirmation by the Court—he was found incapable of holding the office, and was fined 20 nobles for accepting the office, and those who voted for him were fined £5.
Middleton, Thomas 1663.
Milbourn, Jacob do.
Minot, Thomas a principal settler at New London in 1647, and a judge of the first Court constituted in New London, with Winthrop and Lathrop.
Miller, Thomas Middletown, in 1663—probably the same Thomas Miller who came to Massachusetts with his wife from London in the Elizabeth, and ancestor of the Hon. Asher Miller, deceased, and H. L. Miller at Hartford.
McLord, David 1664.
Moore, J., Capt. Newbury and E. Griswold were ordered in 1662, to lay out all the undivided lands in Windsor, at Massico, to such persons in Windsor as needed it. He was one of the early settlers of Windsor—and was a juror in 1639-42-43 and 44 deputy in '43. He was deacon of Mr. Warham's church, and died there in 1677. He left a son John and four daughters; John Drake, sen'r married one of them; Nathaniel Loomis, Thomas Bissell, and Nathaniel Bissell married the other three daughters. He had two children, Mindwell and John born after he moved to Windsor. A John Moore came in the ship Planter from England to Massachusetts, in 1634—perhaps the same.
Moore, Thomas Windsor—juror in 1639 and '42—perhaps a brother of deacon John.
Morrice, John Windsor, 1639—died in '68. His children were, John, Joshua or Joseph, and Mary. He was an original settler, and in the land division in '39—he was a brother of Robert.
Morgan, James New London, 1658. In '56 Gov. Winthrop apphed to the General Court for a grant of 1500 acres of land—the grant was made,—and the Court appointed James Morgan, Deacon Caulkins and James Avery to lay it out to the Governor, at the head of Paugatuck Cove, for a plantation. He was an efficient and active man in New London—was a deputy in 1662-3. He appears to have been the ancestor of the Morgans in the colony. He received many appointments from the General Court.
Morgan, Evan 1656.
Moody, Deacon John The town of Hartford ordered that the watch, who were under the direction of the constable, should ring the (large cow) bell every morning one hour before day break—to begin at the bridge (over Little River,) and so ring all the way, forth and back from Master Moody's, (Wyllys Hill) to John Pratt's, and see that one should be up with a light in every house, within fifteen minutes after the ringing of the bell, on the penalty of 1 shilling and 6 pence. At this time there were no other bells in the colony except large thin cow bells; and some towns used these bells to call together the inhabitants to attend public worship and other meetings. The town of Farmington used for several years for this purpose a large drum, which could be heard at quite a distance from the church. This drum has been carefully preserved by the good people of Farmington, and is now owned by the Connecticut Historical Society.—Mr. Moody was townsman in 1639—Leutenant in 1640. He was frequently honored with the offices of the town and colony—was an early settler of Hartford—an original proprietor, and in the first division of lands there in 1639.
Moody, Samuel Hartford, supposed son of John,—agreed to move to Hadley in 1659.
Moore, John, jr. married Hannah Goff, 1664. His children were, John, Thomas, Samuel, Nathaniel, Edward, Josias and Joseph.
Moses, John Windsor, an early settler, and father of John, jr.
Moses, John married Mary Brown in 1653, and had nine children.
Morton, William Windsor, 1649.
Moore, Isaac Norwalk, 1664.
Morehouse, Thomas Fairfield, 1653.
Montague, Richard Wethersfield, 1646. This name has continued at Wethersfield since the early settlement of the town. The name is also found in Massachusetts. He signed to move to Hadley in '59.
Moulton, Samuel 1660.
Munn, Benjamin viewer of chimneys and ladders in Hartford in 1647—was in the colony in '39, and in the 2d division of lands had eight acres.
Mulford and Baker of East Hampton, L.I., 1661.
Murwin, Miles Windsor, 1640, afterwards moved to Milford.
Mudge, James 1644.
Mudge, Jarvis married the widow of Abrahnm Elson—she had two daughters.
Mynott, Thomas sergeant at Pequott, 1649. He held many offices and possessed the confidence of the General Court—was judge and magistrate at New London, and was an important early settler there.
Myles, Richard 1644.
Mygatt, Joseph Hartford—townsman in 1639-41—fence viewer in '49—frequently juror, and held other offices. He was the ancestor of the Mygatts in Fairfield and Litchfield counties. He was a valuable man in the colony.
Mygatt, John 1648—perhaps son of Joseph.