THE COLONY OF NEW HAVEN
To its absorption into
by Edward E. Atwater
with Supplementary History and Personnel of the
Towns of Branford, Guilford, Milford,
Stratford, Norwalk, Southold, etc.
compiled by Robert Atwater Smith
assisted by Bessie E. Beach and Lucy M. Hewitt
The Journal Publishing Company
MILFORD (WEPOWAUG), PERSONAL SKETCHES
[Transcribed by Coralynn Brown]
Following is a list of the residents of Milford recorded on the Map of 1646, and whether they came from New Haven or Wethersfield. Those marked '1' came from New Haven; those marked '2' from Wethersfield.
2. John Astwood (Atwood).
2. Thomas Baker.
1. John Baldwin.
1. Joseph Baldwin.
1. Nathaniel Baldwin.
1. Richard Baldwin.
1. Mrs. Martha Beard.
2. Andrew Benton.
2. John Birdseye.
2. Francis Bolt.
2. Henry Bostford.
2. Nathaniel Briscoe.
2. William Brooks.
2. Alexander Bryan.
1. Dea. Thomas Buckingham.
2. John Burwell.
2. Nicholas Camp.
2. Thomas Canfield.
2. Dea. George Clark.
2. George Clark, Jr.
2. Samuel Cooley.
1. Robert Dennison.
2. William East.
1. Benjamin Fenn.
2. John Fletcher.
1. Thomas Ford.
1. William Fowler.
1. William Fowler, Jr.
1. John Fowler.
2. Dr. Jasper Gunn.
2. Edmund Harvey.
2. Philip Hatley.
2. George Hubbard.
2. John Lane.
2. Thomas Lawrence.
2. Henry Lyon.
1. Richard Platt.
2. Robert Plum.
1. John Pocock.
1. James Prudden.
1. Rev. Roger Prudden.
2. Edward Riggs.
2. John Rogers.
2. Thomas Sanford.
2. Rev. John Sherman.
2. William Slough.
1. John Smith, Sr.
1. Henry Stonhill.
1. John Stream.
1. Edmund Tapp.
2. Thomas Tapping.
2. Roger Terrill.
1. Thomas Tibballs.
2. Micah Tomkins.
1. Thomas Welch.
2. Thomas Wheeler.
1. Zechariah Whitman.
JOHN ASTWOOD (or Atwood) (1609-1654)
was first in Roxbury. He came over on the ship Hopewell, Captain Bundocke, in the spring of 1636, aged 26 years; was a husbandman from Stanstead Abbey, County Herts. While living in Roxbury he had a wife, Martha, who may have come over on the same ship.
He was made a freeman March 3, 1635-6, removed to Milford and there in 1640 married Mrs. Sarah (_____) Baldwin (16_-1669), widow of Sylvester Baldwin (d. 1638).
He was chosen representative in 1643 and '44, an Assistant of the Colony at a later date, and a Commissioner of the United Colonies in 1653. As an agent for the Colonies to "petition for aid to reduce the Dutch," he went to England in 1654 and died at Aberthy, Eng. in July (?) 1654. Will made June 27; probabed August 31, 1654.
in 1650 removed to East Hampton, L.I., and is probably the same perosn who was recored as Assistant of Connecticut Colony from 1658 to 1663.
JOHN BALDWIN (16__-1681)
a son of Sylvester Baldwin (d. 1638), who died on the ship Martin in 1638 on the way to Boston, by his first wife, Mary (d. 1652), had seven or more children. He married ___, 1653, Mary Bruen, and by her had seven children, all of these latter through their mother trace back to royal lines and to William the Conqueror.
Mary Bruen was a daughter of Obadiah Bruen (16060-168_), Stapleford, Cheshire, England.
About 1667 or 1668 he removed to Newark, N.J., but returned to Milford where he died June, 1681. He was buried June 21, 1681. In his will, made May 24, 1681, he mentions all of his children except Samuel, Mary and Sarah, who had probably died before 1681.
JOSEPH BALDWIN (16__-1690)
by wife, Hannah, had four sons and five daughters. About 1663 he removed to Hadley; was a freeman there in 1666. He married for a second wife Mrs. Isabel (_____) Northam, widow of James Northam of Hartford, and before that a widow of ____ Catlin; her son, John Catlin married Mary Baldwin, one of Joseph's daughters. For a third wife he married Mrs. Elizabeth (_____) Warriner; d. April 26, 1696, widow of William Warriner (d. 1676) of Springfield; he died 1690 at Hadley.
NATHANIEL, JOSEPH and TIMOTHY BALDWIN
were brothers, sons of Richard Baldwin of Clholesbury, Buckinghamshire, Eng. He with his wife, Abigail Camp (d. March 22, 1647-8), daughter of Nichoals Camp, was in Milford in 1639. He died in 1650, leaving three sons and a daughter Abigail.
TIMOTHY BALDWIN (16__-1665)
had a town lot in New Haven in 1640, but is not recorded there as a resident. By his wife, Mary (d. July 21, 1647), he had three daughters. He married in 1647, Mrs. Mary (_____) Mepham (d. before 1670), widow of John Mepham of Guilford. By this second wife he had three or more children. There were no descendants of this settler in the Baldwin line. His son Timothy had no sons that grew up and were married.
Mrs. MARTHA (_____) BEARD (15__-1647)
with her husband James (?) Beard (d. 1638), came to New England in 1638 on the ship Martin. He died on board the ship before reaching Massachusetts Colony. She had three sons, James (d. 1642), who d. unmarried, Jeremy, who also d. unmarried, and Capt. John Beard and three daughters, Martha, who married John Stream (d. 1685), Sarah who married Nicolas Camp, Jr. (1629-1706) and _____.
RICHARD BALDWIN (16__-1665)
eldest son of Sylvester Baldwin (d. 1638), who died on the ship Martin soon after June 21, 1638, when "his nuncup. was made" and which was probated in Boston. He with his mother Sarah (_____) Baldwin (d. 1689), brother John and sisters Sarah, Mary, Martha and Ruth, lived in Milford and died there July 29, 1665.
He married in 1642, Elizabeth Alsop, sister of Joseph Alsop (1621-1698), and had five sons and six daughters.
in Milford in 1639 removed to Hartford after 1660 and died in 1683. By his first wife he had three sons and two daughters; by his second wife, Ann (d. 1686) he had one son and two daughters.
removed in 1649 to the adjoining town of Stratford. In his will, which was drawn August 22, 1689, he mentions his second wife, Mrs. Alice (_____) Tomlinson, widow of Henry Tomlinson (d. 1681), and his son John and daughter Joanna, wife of Timothy Wilcockson, whom she married Dec. 28, 1664.
FRANCIS BOLT (16__-1649)
came to Boston in the ship Martin in 1638 with the Baldwins. He joined the church in 1640, and it is believed had wife Susanna, a son Philip and daughter Susanna, wo are mentoned in the records of Milford.
HENRY BOTSFORD (16__-1686)
by wife, Elizabeth, who joined the church in 1640, had one son and five daughters, all of whom grew up, were married and had children. He died between Feb. 1, 1685-6, the date of his will, and April 15, 1686, the date of the inventory.
NATHANIEL BRISCOE (16__-1683)
born about 1620, baptized in 1629 at Little Missenden, England, was son of Nathaniel Briscoe and Elizabeth (bur. Nov. 20, 1642 at Watertown, Mass.) of Watertown, Mass., the "rich tanner." He was an usher in Harvard College, Cambridge in 1639. According to Lambert's History he came to Milford from Wethersfield. He married in 164_, Mehitable and had sons Nathaniel (1646-1691), James (1649-1710) and Abigial.
WILLIAM BROOKS (16__-1684)
at Milford 1640 or after; married Mrs. Sarah (_____) Wheeler (d. 1666), widow of William Wheeler. She was probably a second wife. Nothing futher found in Savage concerning this settler.
had a wife, Mary, and a family of three sons and five daughters. He removed about 166_ to Newark, N.J., where probably further records of him and his family may be found.
ALEXANDER BRYAN (or Bryant) (1602-1679)
son of Thomas Bryan of Alesbury, Eng., was baptized there Sept. 29, 1602. He had a wife Anna Baldwin; d. Feb. 20, 1661, daughter of Robert and Joanna Baldwin of ____, Eng.
From 1668 to 1678 he was Assistant Governor of Connecticut Colony. He was a prominent merchant, owned land in Norwalk, but probably never resided there. He married after 1661 Mrs. ___ (_____) Fitch, widow of Samuel Fitch of Milford and Hartford.
Deacon THOMAS BUCKINGHAM (16__-1657)
was one of the New Haven Company who arrived at Quinnipiac in 1638 and removed to Milford in 1659; it is possible that he was from the neighborhood of the home of the Rev. Peter Prudden (d. 1656); was a minister before coming to New England. It is very probable that those of the New Haven Company who left New Haven by 1640 and went to Milford had been under the ministration of this minister in England, and for that reason followed him to whatever place he should settle.
Deacon B. by his wife Hannah Hawkins (?) (d. 1647), had sons and daughters. He went to Boston "to seek for them a Pastor" (says the Church Record) and died there in 1657. His grandson, Rev. Stephen Buckingham, was a member of Yale College Corportion 1718-1732; his sons were, and his descendants have been, prominent men in their day and generation.
From him was descended Governor and U.S. Senator William H. Buckingham of Connecticut.
JOHN BURWELL (16__-1649)
was from Herts Co., but dying so early (Aug. 17, 1649), Milford records do not contain much information concerning him. He had five sons and a daughter Elizabeth, b. 1647. His wife Alice, d. Dec. 29, 1649. A line of ancestry to English Lords and members of the Royal family is said to be found in this family.
NICHOLAS CAMP (1597-1652-8)
perhaps son of John Campe (d. 1630) of Nasing, England, had three wives, possibly more; by his wife Sarah (d. 1645) he had Abigail (162_-1648), wife of Nathaniel Baldwin (16__-1650), Nicholas (1629-1707), William (163_-17__), and perhaps others. Her name is engraved on the Memorial Bridge; she died Sept. 1, 1645, and was the first adult person buried in Milford; her infant twin sons born in August died in November, 1645.
Married his second wife 1646, Mrs. Edith (_____) Tilley, widow of John Tilley (d. 1645) of Windsor, had one daughter, Abigail Camp (b. Aug. 29, 1647).
For his third wife he married July 14, 1652, Mrs. Kattern (_____) Thompson, widow of Anthony Thompson (d. 1648) of New Haven. Evidently he died before 1658, for in that year she is called in New Haven records "Widow Camp." He probably had no children by the third wife.
Sergt. THOMAS CANFIELD (16__-1689)
with his wife, Phebe Crance, who probably was in some way related to the Henry and Benj. Crane of Wethersfield, Conn., was a prominent man in Milford, a sergeant of militia, and a representative to the Connecticut Colony 1673-74; he left two sons and seven or more daughters.
Deacon GEORGE CLARK (16__-1690)
with his wife, Mary, came from Wethersfield to Milford in 1639. Three of his sons were prominent in Milford affairs:
George was an ensign.
Sarah became the mother of Jonathan Law, Gov. of Connecticut Colony in 17__.
Savage states he "was called carpenter for distinction and this is all I know about him."
GEORGE CLARK (16__-1690)
the "Farmer," was a brother of Hon. Daniel Clark of Windsor, Conn., one of the patentees under the charter from Charles II. They with their brother John Clark of Guilford, came from England, where they had property which is mentioned in the wills of these three brothers; possibly Samuel Clark of New Haven was another brother.
His only son, John, died without leaving any children; a daughter, Ruth, married Thomas Fitch of Norwalk; her grandson Thomas Fitch (d. 1774) was Governor of Connecticut Colony; Abigail married Rev. Abraham Pierson, the first Rector of Yale College; Sarah married Capt. Reynold Marvin (d. 1676), the celebrated Indian fighter; she married in 1677, Capt. Joseph Sill. (1636-1696).
SAMUEL COOLEY (16__-1684)
was in Milford in 1645; he married in 165_, Esther; had John 1654; Samuel 1656; Esther, 1658; Hannah, 1662.
He removed to Newark, N. J. in 1667, with the Branford people that went there at that time.
Of children of first wife, James settled in East Haven; mary (d. 1692) married in Milford, Robert Dalglish or Douglass (d. 1691) and went to Newark.
WILLIAM EAST (16__-1681)
according to Savage, was in Milford in 1639; he had Solomon, baptized 1643, who probably died young. In 1676 he had a second wife, Mrs. Mary (Baldwin) Plumb (b. Apr. 21, 1621, d. 1708), widow of Robert Plumb (d. 1655).
He died in 1681 without leaving any children.
BENJAMIN FENN (16__-1672)
was a proprietor in Dorchester in 1637. It is suggested by Savage that he "may have come over in the Mary and James in 1630, but his name is not mentioned until 1638."
It is more probable that he came over with the New Haven Company, or perhaps with the friends and parishioners of the Rev. Peter Prudden, who came in the Bristol at a later period in 1637, according to the History of New Haven. He was a man of prominence in Milford, was a Representative, Asssistant Governor, 1665-72; his estate at his death was large, both here and in England; he left lands in Aylesbury, but he was credited with 80 pounds in New Haven records in 1638; probably he in later years received additional funds from property in England, for his estate was inventorie at __ pounds in 1672. (trans. note: they don't know how many pounds, yet say it was large? How do they know that?]
He left sons and daughters. An unbroken line of Benjamin Fenns for ten generations can be recorded in this country.
Deacon JOHN FLETCHER (1602-1661)
before coming to Milford was in Wethersfield; he joined the church in 1641; according to Savage he had tehn been living in Milford for two years.
His only son, Samuel, born in 1649, died young.
Of his six daughters, five were married when his wife Mary Ward (1607-168_) made her will in 1679, she then being the widow of John Clark (d. 1674).
THOMAS FORD (16__-1661)
in Milford among the first settlers, married Elizabeth Knowles (d. 1673), daughter of Alex. Knowles (d. 1663) of Fairfield; he had two sons and three daughters; one of them Lydia (1662-1747) married John Newton (1656-1699), a son of Rev. Roger Newton (d. 1683), the second minister of Milford. In March, 1663, Mrs. Elizabeth (Knowles) Ford married Eliezer Rogers.
Lt. WILLIAM FOWLER (d. 1660-1)
was one of the seven pillars of the foundation of the church. He was a builder of the first mill of the colony, which has now been in the possession of the Fowler family for ten generations. "It is now acknowledged to be the oldest business (or manufacturing) establishment in the county."
No record of his wife is known. In the New Haven list of 1638, he had a family of three, and an estate of 800 pounds, as he brought his sons William and John with him, and who were undoubtedly minors in 1638, judging from the dates of their marriages, which took place in 1643 and 1647.
Deacon JOHN FOWLER (16__-1677)
removed from Milford to Guilford about 1648, where he died in May, 1677; his widow, Mary Hubbard, daughter of George Hubbard (d. 1683) of Milford and Guilford, died April 13, 1703. He had two sons and four daughters; none of the daughters were married; one of these daughters, Mehitable Fowler, born in 1656, died March 18, 1751, being 95 years old at her death.
WILLIAM FOWLER, Jr. (16__-1682)
whose name is also engraved on the Memorial Bridge, as well as that of his father, Lt. William Fowler, married, 164_ Mary Tapp, daughter of Edmund Tapp (d. 1653); for many years he lived in New Haven. In 1645 he built the mill at what is now called Whitneyville, where Eli Whitney, the inventor of the cotton gin, established in 1798, a factory for manufacturing firearms.
He married in 1670 Mrs. Elizabeth (Alsop) Baldwin, widow of Richard Balwin (1622-1665), and left sons and daughters who married and left descendants.
STEPHEN FREEMAN (16__-1675)
in Milford in 1646; had a house-lot, but did not become a resident until 1658. In a few years he removed to Newark, N. J.; there Thomas Judd of Waterbury married his daughter Sarah, and perhaps he came back to Connecticut; his widow, Hanna, may have married Robert Porter (d. 1689) of Farmington, Conn.
He married 165_, Hannah Atwood, daughter of Captain Atwood (1604-1654) and had Hannah, b. 1655; Mary, 1658; Samuel, 1662; Martha and Sarah.
Dr. JASPER GUNN (1606-1670)
with his wife(?) Ann (b. 1610), or what is more probable, his sister Ann, came in the ship Defense in July, 1635, settled at Roxbury, and was a proprietor there May 25, 1636; he was at Milford at an earlyd ate; according to Lambert he came there from Wethersfield. Savage states that he was in Hartford from 1646 to 1657, and then removed to Milford.
He left four sons, Jobama, Abel, Daniel (d. 1690), Samuel, and daughter Mehitable Fenn.
Judging from the dates of marriage of his children, most of them, if not all, were born in this country. On the Memorial Bridge his wife's name is engraved as Sarah. In his will he calls John Smith (d. 1684) and Joseph Peck (d. 1701) his brothers. In that case Sarah might have been a sister of Joseph Hawley of Stratford, as it is believed that Mrs. John Smith was Grace Hawley, a sister of that Joseph Hawley.
EDMUND or EDWARD HARVEY (16__-May 22, 1648)
was in Milford in 1639; came from Wethersfield. Savage states that he was a merchant and brought two daughters with him, one aged nine years, the other four; perhaps also brought a wife, but more probably was a widower, for he married about 1540, Martha, and had Josiah, baptized December 29, 1640, and Hannah, b. 1646; he removed to Fairfield and died there May 22, 1648, leaving a daughter in England aged 22 years, two more as above stated aged 18 and 14 years (in 1648), all by a former wife. His widow married Nathan Gold (d. 1684) of Fairfield.
was in Milford in 1639; he went back to London in 1649; nothing more concerning him found in Savage.
THOMAS HINE (16__-1698)
was at Milford in 1646 or before. His will was made May 9, 1694; he died about 1698; had twelve or more children. For a tradition of his rescuing an Indian from certain death, see Lambert's History of New Haven Colony [trans. note: I should find that book, aye?], also History of Derby.
GEORGE HUBBARD (16__-1683)
was in Milford in 1643; he removed to Guilford in 1650 with his son-in-law, John Fowler (d. 1677).
JOHN LANE (16__- Sept. 10, 1669)
came from Wethersfield to Milford in or before 1640 with his wife Kattareen (?) who died before 1662, for in that year he married Mrs. Mary (_____) Camp (16__-1669), of New Haven, by whom he probably had no children.
His daughter Katareen (163_-167_) married Nov. 8, 1653, John Tuttle (1631-1683) of New Haven; their descendants are recorded in the Tuttle Family Book.
His son Isaac removed to Middletown.
His will mentions Samuel, Edward and Mary Camp, the children of his wife by her first husband, Edward Camp. His will was made Sept. 10, 1669; inventory taken Sept. 16, 1669; amount 441 pounds, 15s, 1d.
one of the Wethersfield people, died in 1648. Nothing further learned of him in Savage or Lambert.
HENRY LYON (16__-1712)
removed from Milford to Fairfield before 1652, when he married the only daughter of William Bateman (d. 1658), who in his will, made March 24, 1656, gave one-half of his estate to his son-in-law, Henry Lyon.
Deacon RICHARD PLATT (1603-1684)
was the son of John Platt, of Bovington, England. With his wife, Mary (d. Jan. 24, 1671-6) , he probably brought four children, Mary, John, Isaac and Sarah; although in the New Haven list of 1639 his family is only numbered as four instead of six. His estate at that time was 200 pounds. The inventory of his estate in 1683 amounted to ___ pounds. [trans note: arrgghhh].
U.S. Senator Thomas C. Platt, of New York, is a descendant.
The town of Plattsville, N.Y. was named after a member of this family. [trans. note: I wonder if he means Plattsburg.]
ROBERT PLUMB (1617-1655)
in Milford in 1639; came from Wethersfield. He married Jan. 9, 1642, Mary Baldwin (1621-1708), daughter of Sylvester Baldwin (d. 1638). He had a daughter, Mary, and five sons.
His widow married in 1676 William East, and died in 1708.
U.S. Senator P. B. Plumb, of Kansas, was a descendant of this emigrant.
Only one son, John, left descendants to bear the family name.
JOHN POCOCK (or Peacocke)
JAMES PRIME (16__-1685)
at his death in 1685 left a widow, a son James, a daughter Sarah, wife of Thomas Frior, and a daughter Rebecca, who married April 1, 1677, Walter Smith (d. 1709) of Milford.
JAMES PRUDDEN (16__-1648)
probably older brother of Rev. Peter Prudden (1601-1656), had according to New Haven Records in 1638 a family of three persons and an estate of 10 pounds.
As his daughter Ann married in 1640, and his daughter Elizabeth married in 1648 or before, they must have been with him in New Haven, and consequently he must have been at that time a widower; no record has been found of his wife in New England.
Rev. PETER PRUDDEN (1601-1656)
had at New Haven in 1638 or '39, an estate of 500 pounds, a family of four, and at his death in July, 1656, he also still possessed lands in Edgton, York County, England, where he may have been born, and where he married his wife, Joanna Boyse. He had three sons:
Samuel (163_-1685), who lived in Milford.
Rev. John (1646-1725), who died at Newark(?) N. J.
Peter, baptized in 1652 and who died young.
Of his six daughters several married and left descendants.
The widow married Sept. 19, 1671, Capt. Thomas Willett (d. 1674) and after 1674 Rev. John Bishop (d. 1693) of Stamford. Her will was made Nov. 8, 1681, in which she mentions all her children that were living, and she probably died soon after.
may be the same person who was living in Newtown, L.I.
Sergeant EDWARD RIGGS (1605-166_)
son of Edward Riggs (1586-1672) and Elizabeth (d. 1635) of Roxbury. He came from Wethersfield in 1640, or before. In 1654 he removed to Paugussett (afterwards called Derby). He married at Roxbury in 1635 Elizabeth Roosa [tran. note: last letter hard to read. could be an 'a'], and had Edward, Samuel, Joseph and Mary.
Gen. Joseph Wheeler, U.S.A., retired, of Alabama, is a descendant.
In 1666 Edward Riggs removed to Newark (NJ) with his family, except Samuel, who remained in Derby.
came from Wethersfield before 1645.
JAMES ROGERS (1615-1688)
although his name is not recorded on the map of Milford, is engraved on the "Memorial Bridge" as one of the first settlers. He was a brother of John Rogers (d. 1684), and came over to New England on the ship Increase. He was early in Stratford, where he married before 1640 Elisabeth Rowland, daughter of Henry Rowland of Stratford.
He had six children in Stratford and Milford and removed to New Lonson after 1658. He was considered, next to Gov. Winthrop, the richest man in Connecticut Colony. His widow married before 1691 ____Wheeler, for she is mentioned in her father's will as Elizabeth Wheeler "who had been wife of John Rogers."
JOHN ROGERS (16__-1684).
EDWARD SANFORD (16__-1681)
was in Dorchester in 1634, and in Milford in 1639. By his wife Sarah (d. May 14, 1681), whom he married in Massachusetts, he had Ezekiel and Sarah, and in Milford, Mary, Samuel, Thomas, Ephraim and Elizabeth. He died in October 1681. Many of his descendants are to be found in Connecticut and the states further west.
Rev. JOHN SHERMAN (b. Dec. 26, 1613; d. Aug. 8, 1685)
born at Dedham, Essex County, England; a graduate of Trinity College, Cambridge in 1633; embarked in April, 1634, in the Elizabeth at Ipswich, England.
He reached Boston in June, was at Watertown and later at Wethersfield, Conn., and soon after 1640 he was in Middletown. He was a representative from Milford in 1643; preached a short time in 1645 in Branford. His wife Mary died at Milford, Sept. 8, 1644, and he married in 1645 Mary Launce (d. March 9, 1710), a maiden in the family of Governor Eaton, of New Haven. He removed to Watertown, Mass., in 1647.
He was stricken with fever and delirium in the pulpit of his son at Sudbury, where he preached his last sermon July 5, 1685, and died Aug. 8, 1685. By both wives he had some fourteen or more children.
WILLIAM SLOUGH (16__-165_)
was in New Haven in 1644, and in 1645 he removed to Milford, where he joined the church in 1648. He married in 1647, or earlier, Elizabeth Prudden, daughter of James. Had a daughter Hadidiah, bap. 1648, and James, b. Jan. 1650, d. Feb. of same year.
He was executed in New Haven for some offence against the law. The widow married Feb. 18, 1653, Roger Prichard (d. 1671) of Milford, who removed soon after to New Haven, where he died.
JOHN SMITH (16__-1684)
"The Farmer," was in Milford in 1640(?), and may have come in one of the three ships that sailed from England direct to New Haven in 1639. He might have been one of the parishoners of Rev. Peter Prudden in his English home, but could not arrange matters so as to be able to come with his pastor in 1637 and followed on at a later date.
He married Grace Hawley (d. 1690), probably a sister or near relative of Joseph Hawley of Stratford, who joined the church in 1642. Their first child, Ephraim, was baptized Oct. 12, 1644.
From the amount of property left by him at his death (513 pounds, 3s, 9d.), the inventory was taken in December, 1684, it is probable that he belonged to a family of wealth in England.
Of his descendants many have been prominent in professional and business life, of the former class was U.S. Senator Orrin Smith Ferry (1823-1875), of the latter, Winthrop Brinsmade Smith (1808-1887), a millionaire publisher of Cincinnati, and in later years a banker in Philadelphia.
JOHN SMITH (16__-1704)
"Ye Smith," "The Blacksmith," - was in Milford, according to Lambert, in 1643. He may have been married at that time, but the first marriage recorded is his marriage on July 19, 1665, to Sarah Fowler, daughter of Lt. William Fowler (d. 1683), by whom he had four or more children.
In 1694 he married Mrs. Clement (Hosmer) Hunt (d. Sept. 29, 1695), widow of Jonathan Hunt, and daughter of Thomas Hosmer (1604-1687) of Hartford. Her tombstone is to be found in the Milford cemetery.
HENRY STONHILL (or Stonell)
was in New Haven in 1638, and is rated on the list of that year as having no family and possessed an estate of 300 pounds. His lot was on the northwest corner of Church and George streets, and reached from George street north to Crown street.
He went to Milford in 1639 and joined the church in 1641. Soon after 1646 he returned to England. He was dismissed by the Milford church to Thomas Goodwin's church in London.
Ensign JOHN STREAM (1621-1685)
is probably the person who came with his Uncle Zachariah Whitman (d. 1666) in the Truelove from London to Boston in 1635, aged 14 years. He married Dec. 20, 1649, Martha Beard, daughter of James (?) Beard (d. 1638), who died on the ship Martin while coming to New England.
His son John (164_-1687) died without children, so that the name of Stream ceased, but through the daughters, Mrs. Abigail Tibballs, Mrs. Mary Baldwin and Mrs. Martha Cooley, there are descendants at the present time.
Sergt. THOMAS TIBBALLS (1615-1703)
embarked at London in the Truelove in 1835. [sic, 1635]. He was engaged in the Pequot War of 1637, and by that means gained his knowledge of Quinnipiac and the country west, so that he was able to pilot the Milford settlers from New Haven (Quinnipiac) to the region that they had purchased from the Indian owners. In 1691 he received a grant of land (50) for his services rendered in the Pequot War.
By his first wife, Mary, who died June, 1644, he had Mary or Mercy, baptized Feb. 1643-4, and Samuel, b. April 14, 1644.
Mary married July 12, 1664, Nicholas Smith __Sevearsmith, a Dutchman.
He had a second wife, whom he married probably in 1644. By her he had a son John, baptized 1645, and five or more other children. He died probably in May 1703, as his estate was probated June 1, 1703. Gen. Joseph Wheeler, U.S.A., retired, is a descendant through his eldest daughter Mary.
EDMUND TAPP (15__-1653)
one of the seven pillars at the foundation of the Milford church Aug. 22, 1638, in New Haven, had on the New Haven list of 1638 an estate of 800 pounds and a family of seven. There is no record of any son growing to maturity. Four daughters are mentioned, leaving a fifth child unrecorded. Possibly he had no wife living at the time but had six children.
His name is engraved on the Memorial Bridge, also that of his wife Ann, but no date of death is given on the stone.
His daughter Ann married in 1645, Lt. William Fowler (d. 1682).
Elizabeth married Lt. John Nash.
Jane (1628-1703) married Governor Robert Treat (1622-1710).
CAPTAIN THOMAS TAPPING (16__-168_)
was an Assistant and Representative. He was in Wethersfield previous to 1639, joined the church with wife Emma in 1640. By this wife he had four or more children. He may have lived for a time in Southampton, L. I.
On October 20, 1666, he made a contract at Milford for marriage with Mrs. Mary (_____) Baldwin (d. 1671), widow of Timothy Baldwin (d. 1665). Before June 1678, he had married Mrs. Lydia (_____) Wilford, (d. 1694), widow of John Wilford of Branford.
He removed to Branford, where on Oct. 5, 1688, he deeded to sons Elnathan and James his lands in Southampton, Long Island; also other property to daughters, Mrs. Mary (Tapping) Quinny and Mrs. Martha (Tapping) Herrick. His widow on Oct. 1688, had transactions with the sons, and she died Nov., 1694.
came to Milford from Wethersfield in 1639 or soon after. He and his wife Mary joined the church in 1643. They had some eight or more children. In 1666 he removed to Newark, N.J., and in 1667 he bought a large tract of land from the Indians on the Passaic River where the city of Newark is now laid out.
THOMAS WELCH (16__-1681)
one of the founders of the Milford church in 1638, married in 164_, Hannah Buckinham (d. 1684) daughter of Deacon Thomas Buckingham (d. 1657). He died Aug. 12, 1681. Had only son, Thomas.
ZECHARIAH WHITMAN (1595-1666)
brother of John Whitman (1614-1692) of Weymouth, Mass., came to Massachusetts in the Truelove, aged 40 years, with wife Sarah Biscoe, aged 25 years, and son Zechariah, aged two and a half years. He was at Milford in 1639. He was one of the trustees in the first deed, one of the judges chosen by the settlers to act in civil affairs, and one of the seven pillars of the church.
His name is engraved on the Memorial Bridge.
His wife was a cousin of Nathaniel Biscoe (d. 1683).
He died April 23, 1666; his wife Sarah, b. 1619, died Jan. 2, 1670-71; no children mentioned in his will.