a history of the north society of Middletown, Ct.
from 1650 to 1800
with genealogical and biographical chapters
on early families.

Charles Collard Adams
New York: Grafton Press, 1908.


[transcribed by Coralynn Brown ]



  • 1. Lieut. Samuel1 Smith, "the fellmonger," came from Ipswich, Co. Suffolk, Eng., to Watertown, Mass., in 1634, in the Elizabeth; aged thirty-two, wife Elizabeth Chileab, aged thirty-two, and four children, nine, seven, four and one years of age. To Wethersfield in 1635; rep. to Legislature, 1637-1656, part owner, 1649 of the Tryal, the first ship built in the Colony; rem. 1659-60, to Hadley, where he held important offices in ch. and State; rep. to Boston, 1661-73; lieut. 1663-78; magistrate ; d. 1680.

    • 2. Lieut. Philip2 Smith, b. abt. 1633; m. Rebecca Foote, dau. of Nathaniel Foote and Elizabeth Deming, of Wethersfield ; rem. to Hadley with his father; rep.,.dea., lieut.; d. Jan. 10, 1685; "murdered with a hideous witchcraft," says Cotton Mather in his "Magnalia."

      • 3. The Rev. Joseph3 Smith, b. 1674, Hadley, Mass.; m. Sept. 18, 1698, Esther Parsons, b. Dec. 24, 1672, dau. of Cornet Joseph Parsons, one of the first settlers of Northampton and Springfield. He grad. Harvard, 1695, taught the Hadley Grammar School, also in Springfield, then preached in Brookfield, Mass. In 1708 went to Cohanzy, Cumberland Co., N. J., where he was ordained, May: 10, 1709, pastor by the Philadelphia Presbytery. He officiated for. the Horse Neck Society of Greenwich, Conn., a few Sundays before it was fully organized. He then came to Middletown Upper Houses, as stated in the history contained in this volume, and was installed Jan. 5, 1715, when the church was organized. He d. Sept. 8, 1736, leaving no will. The two daughters quitclaimed to their brother Joseph, all their right and title in the estate, as also did the widow, who named in her deed the negro Cleops. She res. with her son Joseph till her death, May 30, 1760, aged eighty-nine. The Bible which Rev. Mr. Smith used is owned by Mrs. Ruby Kelsey, who gave his communion cup to Mr. R. S. Griswold of the local church. The tablestone is a fine one. The leaden tablet having disappeared, a slate one took its place in 1880, and Miss Fanny Gridley, a descendant, gave the then pastor $20 to defray its cost.
        • Martha, b. Sept. 17, 1699; m. Nov. 30, 1721, Richard Hamlin. (See Giles Hamlin Genealogy.)
        • 4. Joseph4, b. 1704.
        • Mary, b. 1707; m. Dec. 10, 1729, Rev. Samuel Tudor, of East Windsor, Conn.

          4. Ensign Joseph4 Smith, b. 1704; m. Dec. 20, 1726, Elizabeth Bulkeley, b. Jan: 4, 1705; d. Oct. 20, 1761, dau. of Capt. and Esquire Edward Bulkeley, b. 1673; d. Aug. 27, 1748 (son of Rev. Gershom Bulkeley and Sarah Chauncey of Wethersfield) and Dorothy Prescott, b. May 31, 1781, dau. of Capt. Jonathan Prescott of Concord, Mass. Soon after the death of his father he sold the house built by or for his father, who was to furnish the glass and the nails, according to the deed from the Society's committee in 1717. With the house he included about six rods square of land, with a lane one rod wide running towards the river, together with all the river front. The fence back of the Bond house shows the rear line of this river end. Ensign Joseph continued to occupy the "Webster" house, and built for his son James the house lately (1908) torn down and which stood between the "Webster" house and the parsonage house, now known as the "Greaves" house. The homestead lot was divided between James and Edward, who received the "Webster" house. To his three other sons he gave lands in the Nuiks and all three built thereon, or had built for them. After naming his five sons and their share. in the real estate, he added in his will, " I give them equally my negro-man Cloip or Peter. But they nor either of them shall not sell him out of the family unless by his own choice, and if he should live to want support more than he can earn by his own labor, he shall be comfortably provided for by my sons at equal expense, if they don't otherwise agree." Ensign Joseph Smith d. Jan. 16, 1769; she d. Oct. 15, 1761. His account book is in possession of the compiler of this volume.

          • Martha, b. Apr. 15, 1728 ; m. Hanover Knapp ; res. in "Lower Houses."
          • 5. James5, b. Jan. 2, 1730.
          • Elizabeth, b. Dec. 31, 1733; d. Sept. 30, 1789; m. Aug. 20, 1755, John5 Cornwall, of East Middletown. (See William Cornwall Genealogy.)
          • Joseph, b. Mar. 16, 1736; d. Oct. 6, 1741.
          • 6. John5, b. Mar. 26, 1738.
          • 7. Nathaniel5, bapt. June 29, 1740.
          • Joseph, bapt. Mar. 6, 1743; m. (1) Margaret Gaylord, dau of Capt. Samuel Gaylord and Margaret Clark. (See Gaylord Family.) Built on his patrimony the "Bowers" House and entertained lavishly. Served on a privateer. Capt. Joseph Smith d. July 13, 1804. Daughters m. and rem. to Southington, Conn.
          • Edward, bapt. Mar. 22, 1747 ; m. Aug. 25, 1774, Sarah Moore. Lived and died in the original Robert Webster house. Mary, bapt. Feb. 12, 1748; d. 1765.

          • 5. James5 Smith, b. Jan. 2, 1730; m. Mary Tudor, his cousin, whose M T spoons are owned by Mrs. Ruby Kelsey. He served in Rev. War: He d. Mar. 8, 1820 ; she d. Apr. 23, 1835, aged ninety-five.
            • Samuel, bapt. Aug. 21, 1762; m. _____; d. a prisoner of war in. New York, July 7, 1782. State paid in 1789 what was due for his services. (See No. 14, Haskell's Record, Sept. 1, 1789, in office of Treas. of Conn.)
            • Sarah, bapt. Dec. 30, 1764; m. Samuel Taleott, of Bolton.
            • 8. Oliver6, bapt. Sept. 20, 1767; m. Martha Hanmer, of Wethersfield.
            • Mary, bapt. Dec. 2, 1775; in. Ebenezer Hunt of Bolton.
            • James, bapt. May 29, 1774; d. 1796, m. Jamaica, W. I. Thomas, bapt. Sept. 8, 1776.
            • Reuben, bapt. June 13, 1779; d. Nov. 24, 1804.
            • Ursula, bapt. June 16, 1782; d. unm. 1874.

          • 6. Capt. John5 Smith, bapt. Mar. 26, 1738; m. (1) Oct. 22, 1761, Lucy Montague (see Montague Lineage.) He built in the Nuiks, on his patrimony, a brick house not now standing. He sold this and bought the original Thomas Hubbard house with an acre of land attached. He was a noted sea captain, served on a privateer, was part owner of a wharf. His wife d. Feb. 19, 1777, and he m. (2) Polly Elliott, eldest daughter of John Elliott. He d. suddenly Mar. 23, 1786. She d. 1809. (See Elliott Genealogy.)
            Children by first marriage:
            • Lucy, bapt. Feb. 14, 1762; d. Dec. 30, 1764.
            • Elizabeth, bapt. Jan. 15, 1764; m. Sept. 26, 1784, Isaac Gridley. (See the Gridley Family.)
            • John, bapt. Dec. 1, 1765; m. Oct. 10, 1791, Lucy Ranney (Abijah). Built, 1803, the "Brooks" house. Wife d. Nov. 24, 1803. Child:
              Lucy, bapt. July 7, 1793; in. Elisha Phelps of Simsbury, Congressman and otherwise much noted. (See Phelps Genealogy.) Capt. John Smith rem. to Simsbury, where he d. Dec. 27, 1837.
            • Lucy, bapt. Mar. 13, 1768 ; m. July 18, 1790, Lewis Samuel Sage, and rem. to Northampton, Mass.
            • Joseph, bapt. Jan. 3, 1770; d. at sea Sept. 14, 1795.
            • Martha, bapt. Mar. 28, 1773 ; m. Jan. 12, 1792, Asa Shepard (Capt. Jared). Rem. to Paris, N. Y.
            • William, bapt. Jan. 22, 1775; m. (1) Oct. 15, 1797, Betsey Haskell. He d. at sea. She m. (2) Deacon Russell Wilcox, of western part of town.

              Children by second marriage:
            • Roswell, bapt. Apr. 25, 1779.
            • Luther, bapt. Feb. 10, 1782 ; m. Mary Ranney (Joseph).
            • Kate, bapt. Oct. 5, 1783; m______Churchill ; rem. to Meriden. They kept the first railroad restaurant in that city.
            • Calvin, bapt. Feb. 18, 1785.

            7. Nathaniel Smith5, bapt. June 29, 1740; m. Apr. 21, 1766, Sarah Ranney (Ebenezer). Built on his patrimony in the Nuiks the house lately rem. by Josiah B. Stocking. He d. Aug. 15, 1829. She d. Sept. 23, 1786.

            • Sarah6, bapt. Apr. 26, 1772; m. Feb. 2, 1800, Seth Belden. He d. Dec. 13, 1846; she d. Sept. 1, 1854.
            • Louisa7 Belden, m. Charles Bell. Miss Anna9 Francis, of Glenbrook, Conn., is her granddaughter.

              [BELDEN LINEAGE—Seth Belden, son of Seth of Wethersfield, b. 1747, m. (1) Sally _____ , who d. Mar. 16, 1769, in her 21st year. He m. (2) Apr. 16, 1772, Christiana Dickinson, b. 1755. He was killed Aug. 27, 1776, in the battle of Long Island, leaving sons Seth and Asher, b. 1772, d. Aug. 12, 1863, who settled in Upper Houses with their mother Christiana. She did not receive a pension till 1840. She d. Aug. 9, 1844, aged 89. Her grave is decorated with a Betsy Ross flag and flowers on Bunker Hill and other days in memory of her patriot husband.]

            • 8. Oliver Smith6, bapt. Sept. 20, 1767; m. June 15, 1820, Martha Hanmer of Wethersfield; d. June 4, 1836; a prominent captain in the merchant marine service. She d. Sept. 13, 1862.

              • Martha, bapt. Nov. 16, 1800; m. Dr. D. B. Brooks. She. d. Dec. 8, 1866. He d. 1830. Children:
              • Elizabeth Ann, b. 1824; d. unm., Apr. 26, 1874.
              • David Brainard, b. May 20, 1828; d. Oct. 15, 1898; m. Dec. 4, 1873, Rosa Amelia Merrill, d. Jan. 18, 1884, dau. of Rev. Franklin Merrill. Children:
                David B., b. Dec. 21, 1874; d. 1876.
              • Merrill Dowd, b. Apr. 7, 1878; m. Apr. 28, 1900, Josephine Wirsching, b. July 23, 1881. Res..Cromwell. Children:
                • Anna Rose, b. Nov. 11, 1900.
                • Merrill Dowd, b. Mar. 22, 1903.
                • Evelyn Beatrice, b. May 7, 1905 ; d. Aug. 15, 1907.
                • David B., b. Apr. 11, 1880 ; m. and res. Portland, Ore.
                • Mary Ann, bapt. Oct. 20, 1805 ; m. John James Hanmer. Oliver Tudor, bapt. Oct. 20, 1805; d. May 26, 1808.
                • Elizabeth, d. 1892 ; m. Hiram Horton.


The Town of Haddam was settled in 1662 by Hartford families. Among them was Simon1 Smith, whose son was:

  • Benjamin2 Smith, whose son was:
    • Benjamin3 Smith. He purchased land in the Upper Houses and deeded it to his son, Abner4 Smith, in January, 1776.
      • Abner4 Smith, b. Dec. 28, 1728, Haddam, was the son of Benjamin3 Smith and Hepzibah Spencer. He m. (1) Apr. 26, 1750, Mehitable Knowles, b. _____; d. Sept. 1, 1783; dau. of John and Mehitable Knowles; m. (2) Oct. 11, 1780, Rebecca Gibbs; m. (3) May 25, 1784, Deborah Brainerd, who d. Aug. 20, 1809, aged 66, widow of John Brainerd; m. (4) Oct. 25, 1809, widow Anna Rash of Rocky Hill. He d. May 4, 1812, and is buried in the West Cromwell Cemetery, and a broze marker of the S.A.R. is placed at his grave.

        In 1771 a train band was organized in the Ponsett district of Haddam and he served as its captain. In 1775 he was a lieutenant in the Army of Defense serving from May 1. In Jan., 1776, he built in the Upper Houses. He served as captain through the greater part of the Revolutionary War. To him and his first wife were born twelve children. In Nov., 1771, the ten then living were baptized in Haddam. Of these
        • Dorothy, b. Feb. 7, 1755, m. ____Towner;
        • Mehitable, b. Jan. 19, 1757, m. Aug. 20, 1778, Timothy White, and d. Sept. 1, 1794
        • Sarah, m. ____ Rowland
        • Jerusha, m. Dec. 13, 1781, Luther Savage
        • Hepzibah, m. ____Love.
        Of John the Cromwell Church records reads: "Feb. 20, 1780, heard of the death of John Smith, son of Capt. Abner Smith, prisoner in New York."
        There were no children by the second marriage.
        By the third marriage there were
        • Betsy, bapt. May 18, 1788, who m. Feb. 17, 1808, John Mildrum, son of John Mildrum and Lucretia Kirby, ancestors of Mrs. Timothy Ranney,
        • John Brainerd5 bapt. Nov. 16, 1788.

          John Brainerd5 Smith, b. Sept. 5, 1788; d. Jan. 18, 1868; m. Fanny Pardee, b. June 26, 1797, Southington, Conn.; d. Mar. 21, 1873; dau. of Daniel Pardee, b. Oct. 19, 1762, Southington; d. Mar. 28, 1852; a Revolutionary pensioner. His application for a pension states that he served in 1779, 1780, and 1781, under Capt. Asa Bray, Ten Eyck, and Mathew Smith. He was the son of David Pardee, who d. Nov. 30, 1822, both buried in old Cromwell Cemetery. Their daughter Lois m. William Lincoln, bapt. Feb. 3, 1765, Upper Houses, son of Mordecai Lincoln and Abigah Eells who had come here to reside. William Lincoln's sons were William, Daniel and Asa. The children of Asa, residing in Cromwell, are Charles Lincoln and Mrs. Charles H. Jones.
          David Pardee had eight children. Of his children:
          • Sally, b. May 11, 1794, Southington; m. Alanson Stow. The children were
            • Caroline
            • James
            • Asa Bray
            • Horace
            • Sarah Ann
            • Flora Ann.
              (The children of Horace residing in Cromwell are Mrs. Albert J. Briggs and Miss Nellie.)
            • Fanny, b. June 21, 1797; m. John Brainerd Smith. their son:
              • Luther Savage6 Smith, b. June 4, 1815, d. Jan. 21, 1903, was an active business man through his long life, retaining to the last his remarkable memory. He m. (2) Dec. 31, 1851, Clarissa (Richmond) Foote, widow of an Episcopal clergyman.
                • George Richmond7, b. Nov. 15, 1852; m. Isabel Ross, dau of Abram Ross and Eliza Steed. Farmer, F. & A. M. Res. Cromwell.
                • Helen Foote, b. July 12, 1855; d. in infancy.
                • Charles Luther, b. May 31, 1857.
                • Cora Adelaide, b. Oct. 2, 1860; m. Egbert Darwin Hammond. Res. Hartford, Conn.
                  • Luther.
                  • Darwin.
                  • Helen.

Blind Counter