a history of the north society of Middletown, Ct.
from 1650 to 1800
with genealogical and biographical chapters
on early families.

Charles Collard Adams
New York: Grafton Press, 1908.


[transcribed by Coralynn Brown ]

Thomas Hurlburt1 (Hurlibut, Holibert), b. abt. 1610, prob. in Scotland, embarked at London, Aug. 11, 1635, with Capt. Lyon Gardiner, the English engineer employed by Lords Say and Sea, Brooke and others, to erect a fort at Saybrook. He may have been an employe, perhaps a soldier. He was, however, a blacksmith. Was conspicuous for coolness and bravery in the fight with the Indians, 1637, when he was shor through the thigh. (See Mass. Hist. Soc. Coll. III, third series).
    He removed to Wethersfield, where he was the first established blacksmith, and in 1642, was fined for "encouraging others in taking excessive rate for work and ware." In 1671 he received a grant of 120 acres of land from the General Court for his services in the Indian War, but this was not set off till after his death, and then on petition of his grandson John of Middletown.

Sergeant John Hurlburt2 (Thomas1), was a blacksmith. At age of twenty-seven he entered into contract, Oct. 25, 1669, with the settlers of Middletown to locate there and "do the Town's work of smithing for seven years." He became a large landowner and prominent in Middletown; freeman, 1761; sergeant; m. Dec. 15, 1670, Mary Deming, dau of John Deming and Honor Treat of Wethersfield. He d. Aug. 30, 1690.

  • Mercy, b. Feb. 17, 1680-81; m. Thomas Hale, b. Sept., 1675, Glastonbury. Their daughter Mary m. George Ranney.
  • Margaret, b. Feb., 1684-5; m. Timothy Sage.
  • David, b. Aug. 11, 1688, first blacksmith at Upper Houses; rec'd 1711, four acres next south of Joseph Kirby; where Edw. T. Johnson's house stands; rem. 1734, to Middle Haddam.
  • Mehitable, b. Nov.2 3, 1690; m. 1714, Capt. Daniel White (Daniel, Nathaniel, John).

Blind Counter