The History of Middlesex County 1635-1885
J. H. Beers & Co., 36 Vesey Street, New York
THE EARLY SETTLERS AND THEIR DESCENDANTS.
[transcribed by Janece Streig]
Hamlin John HALL, born September 10th 1722, son of GILES, of Middletown, and a descendant of John HALL, who came from the county of Kent, England, in 1633, and settled in Middletown about 1650, settled in East Hampton, and was for many years "sexton or grave-digger," as the society records have it. He had two sons: Jabez, who married Abigail WILLEY; and Calvin, who married Hulda COWDREY, and was the father of the late Giles C. and Calvin HALL. Giles C. married Dolly PARMELEE, and lived in the house now owned by the Eureka Silk Manufacturing Company, and used by them as a boarding house. His children were: John S., the head of the firm of J. S. HALL & Company, bell manufacturers; Lewis L.; Simon S., a graduate of Michigan University; Lucina; Amelia Ann; and Barzillar B. Lovell HALL, attorney, and coroner of Middlesex county, a graduate of Yale, in 1868, is a son of the late John S. HALL.
Captain Abijah HALL, born December 19th 1723, a descendant of George HALL, of Duxbury, Massachusetts, 1637, settled in East Hampton, near the outlet of Pocotopaug Lake. He was an iron worker, and the largest owner in the forge which formerly stood at this point. His ancestors were largely interested in the iron works at Taunton, Massachusetts. He married, April 17th 1748, Margaret DEWEY, of Colchester, and had Dewey (who married Hannah KNEELAND in 1771, and died in 1806), Eunice, Lydia, Abijah, Margaret, Jerusha, Sarah, and Lucy. His descendants of the name reside in the vicinity of Albany, New York.
Ebenezer HALL, born September 26th 1731, a descendant of John HALL, who emigrated from Coventry, England, to Yarmouth, Massachusetts, in 1630, also settled in East Hampton about the year 1760. His wife, Mary, died January 7th 1767, and he married Abigail BAILEY, and had by her three children: Mary, Seth, and Abner. He died February 23d 1803.
Nathan HARDING settled in Middle Haddam not far from the year 1740. He was a son of Mezaiah HARDING, of Eastham, Massachusetts, and was born October 29th 1711. By his wife, Anna, he had Tabitha, Ebenezer, Lydia, Elizabeth, Anna, Nathan, and George. She died in November 1749, and he married, November 15th 1750, Abigail WEST, and had: Ephraim, who married Susannah WHEELER; Benjamin, who married Olive SEXTON; and Abigail. He died March 27th 1801, near 90 years of age. His descendants have been numerous, and are scattered over several Sates of the Union. The lade brigadier general and M. C., Abner Clark HARDING, of Illinois, was one of them, being a son of Nathan HARDING jr., and Philena CLARK, his wife, born on MILLER's Hill in the old JOHNSON house which was burned down a few years ago.
Benjamin HARRIS, a native of Bridgewater, Massachusetts, was elected deacon of the church in Middle Haddam, in 1748, and died April 11th 1775, in the 75th years of his age. His widow died suddenly, November 25th 1786, aged 78.
Israel HIGGINS, from Barnstable county, Mass., with his wife, Ruth, united with the church in Middle Haddam, in 1744, but had children born in the parish earlier, as appears by town records: Heman, 1740; Rachel, 1743; Eunice, 1745; Hannah, 1748; and Seth, 1751. Israel HIGGINS jr., who married Hannah ARNOLD, in 1752; Jesse, who married Ruth DART the same year; and Lemuel, who married Elizabeth COLE, in 1757, may have been older children of Israel, and probably were. The records of the family are disconnected, but those who bear the name in the town are descendants of Israel, the settler. A number of persons of the name from this town died in the army during the Revolution.
John HINCKLEY, son of Gershom and Mary (BUELL) HINCKLEY, of Lebanon, was an early settler in East Hampton, and many of his descendants bearing the name are residents to-day. He was born February 10th 1730, and married, first, April 4th 1751, Ruth GILLETT, of Colchester. She died June 5th 1759, and he married, second, January 10th 1760, Azubah SMITH, daughter of Ralph, of Middle Haddam. He died May 24th 1811. She died January 9th 1809. By his first wife he had Lucy, who married Nathan CHAMPION; Gershom, Ira, and Ruth, who married Jabez CLARK. By his second wife he had Gillett, Azubah, John, Lucretia, Azriel, Isaac (died young), Isaac, Walter, and Cyprian. Cyprian married Lydia BEVIN, January 29th 1801, and resided north of the lake, where he died October 13th 1864, aged 86 years.
David B. HOLLISTER settled in Middle Haddam as a merchant, and afterward made himself acquainted with the practice of medicine. He was regarded as a very skilful physician. He married Dorothy BRAINERD in 1787, and died August 8th 1821, in the 56th years of his age.
George HUBBARD jr. and Mary STOCKING, and Thomas HUBBARD jr. and Phœbe GRIFFITH, who were married by Rev. Benjamin BOWERS on the same day, January 23d 1752, were the ancestors of large families of the name that resided in Middle Haddam Parish. Lieut. George HUBBARD, probably the one above mentioned, died October 16th 1791, aged 87 years, and is buried in the cemetery on Hog Hill, where a handsome headstone ornamented with two crossed swords mark his resting place.
Daniel HUBBARD, of Middletown, and Susannah, his wife, resided near where Joseph ARTHUR now lives, not far from the year 1730. He was a soldier in the French and Indian war, and the powder horn that he carried in the service is still in possession of his descendants.
Jacob HURD, born in Eastham, Massachusetts, April 12th 1695, son of John HURD or HEARD, who emigrated from the Highlands of Scotland, about the year 1685, removed with his wife, Rebecca, to Middle Haddam, and is said to have been a man of extraordinary stature and strength. He spent his last years with his daughter, Mrs. Robinson WILLIAMS, of Westchester. His wife is said to have died at the age of 103 years. Their children were: Rebecca, who married James BRAINERD; Elizabeth, who married Robinson WILLIAMS; and Jacob, born December 17th 1720. Jacob HURD jr. is said to have been the second man that followed the business of coasting on the Connecticut River. He married, February 28th 1745-6, Thankful HURLBUT, and had nine children: Rachel, married George CAREY; Elizabeth, married Thomas STOCKING; Joseph, married Mary BOWERS; Rebecca, married Joseph CAREY; Mary, married Elisha JOHNSON; Jacob, married Abigail CAREY; Benjamin, married Mary CAREY; Jesse, married Drusilla DART; and Sarah, married Joseph DART. He died in 1811, and his widow in 1813. His four sons were all engaged in the war of 1776, and Joseph, Benjamin, and Jesse were in a prison ship at New York at the same time. Benjamin, who married Mary CAREY in 1784, was a sea captain, and died July 24th 1855. Their children were Norman, Benjamin, Statira, Samuel, Sophia, Halsy, Harvey C., Joseph H., Jennette, and Mary A. Jacob, r., born in 1762, married Abigail CAREY, was a Revolutionary soldier for two years, and afterward engaged in privateering, took several prizes, and was himself twice taken prisoner. He followed the sea until the war of 1812, and was afterward employed in rigging ships and in farming. At the breaking out of the Rebellion, he aided, when in his 100th years, in raising the national flag near his home. He died December 14th 1861, aged 99 years, 8 months, and 16 days. Jesse HURD married Drusilla DART in 1788, and was a deacon in Middle Haddam church, and engaged in ship building. He died in 1831. His children were Laura, Jesse, Charles, Drusilla, Cyrus, Nelson, Lavina, and Henry. Cyrus was for many years judge of Probate for the district of Chatham, and at one time a member of the State Senate. Henry was a merchant, and at one time postmaster in Middle Haddam.
John and Caleb JOHNSON were early settlers in East Hampton Parish, locating on MILLER's Hill. No record has been found of their families. John JOHNSON jr. was a Revolutionary soldier and married Lois, daughter of Othniel BRAINERD, and had: Phœbe, who married Elijah HUBBARD; Lois, who married Henry JACKSON; Lucy, who married John NORTON; Nancy, who married David WYLLYS; Liva, who married Richard CARRIER; Jared, who married Sarah RANSOM; and Enos, who married Ann PARMELEE. His wife died June 29th 1833, and, June 26th 1836, he married Mary, widow of Solomon BAILEY and daughter of Marcus COLE. The united ages of this couple were 163 years, and the following lines were appended to the notice of their marriage in the Middletown Sentinel:
"Old maids and widows now look up,
Put on a smiling face;
Although you've had a bitter cup,
There's hope still in your card."
Jesse JOHNSON was employed by the town in 1777 to cart of load of salt from Boston to Chatham, for which he was paid the sum of £22 7s. for carting, and expenses, but no further information concerning him has been obtained, save that by his wife, Mary, he had five children, recorded as being born to them between the years 1769 and 1777.
Henry JOHNSON, of Middletown, married Mary WHITMORE and resided near the river, in Middle Haddam, where he died July 7th 1869, aged 85. His wife died October 17th 1868, aged 87 years and 9 months. Their children were: Mariette, who married Gordon WHITMORE; William Henry; Seth Whitmore; Laura Ann, who married Robert I. YOUNG; Nathaniel Cooper; Harriet M., who married Capt. Edward M. SIMPSON, for many years a steamboat captain and pilot on the Connecticut River; Emeline, who married, first, Martin ROBERTS, and, second, Isaac ROBERTS; Horace; and Caroline. Horace has been a member of the State Senate and was for some years a merchant in Hartford. Nathaniel C. was sea captain sailing out of New York for many years, but has now retired.
William KEIGHLEY, son of John, native of Keighley, Yorkshire, England, cam to Middletown about the year 1835 and worked in the foundry of William STROUD about three years, having learned his trade in England. He then established himself in Cromwell with J. and E. STEVENS in the toy business. In 1855, he sold out his interest to Stevens, and removed to Middle Haddam, and established the business of manufacturing small iron castings of all kinds. In 1859, he took in as a partner, Samuel NORTH, which firm continued until 1872, when he bought out NORTH and carried on the business in his own name until his death, in December 1873, since which time the business has been carried on by his family under the name of "The Estate of William KEIGHLEY." Mr. KEIGHLEY married Caroline SEDGKIN and had eight children. The KEIGHLEY buildings consist of a foundry, 100 feet by 45 and 25, two stories in height; machine shop, 60 by 25; storehouse, 60 by 25; one brick building, 20 by 60, one and one-half stories high; one building, 25 by 18; and three dwelling-houses. About 25 hands are employed.
Samuel NORTH, for some time partner in the business, was born in Berlin, Conn., March 11th 1814, and was of the eighth generation from John NORTH, whose name appears among the original proprietors and settlers of Farmington, in 1640. This John NORTH came from England to Hartford with other colonists, in 1635, at the age of 20 and died in Farmington in 1692 at the age of 77. Mr. NORTH married Mary B. STARR, of Middlefield, in 1840, and shortly after his removal to Middle Haddam was elected one of the deacons of the Congregational church. In 1872, he represented the town in the General Assembly. He died April 30th 1878, leaving a widow and three sons.
Stephen KNOWLTON, from East Haddam, resided near the Tarsia school house soon after the East Hampton Society was incorporated. His son, Stephen jr., was a soldier in the Revolution.
Benjamin LEONON or LEONARD, a Frenchman, and by trade a cooper, resided on Bevin Hill, where he died in 1817, aged70. He married Mary, daughter of Marcus COLE, and had five children: Charles, who removed to Waterbury; Mary, who married John WILLEY; Ann, who married John TUBBS; Phœbe, who married Russell RICH; and Alvah. His widow afterward married Solomon BAILEY and John JOHNSON.
Ira LEE, who died October 31st 1836, aged 61 years, was a prominent citizen of Middle Haddam, and at one time a justice of the peace and judge of Probate.
David F. LAWRY commenced the practice of medicine in East Hampton in 1871 and in company with L. E. SAGE of Winsted opened a drug store in the building now occupied by Bailey & Markham as a feed store. He was from Massachusetts and served in the 24th Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteers, during the Rebellion. He died unmarried, December 9th 1871.
John MARKHAM, the ancestor of those of the name in the town, married Desire SEARS, November 3d 1748, and settled on the east side of Pocotopaug Lake. He died March 30th 1788, aged 81, and his wife died November 19th 1786, aged 63. Their children were: Elizabeth Desire (who married Lemuel WEST), Nathaniel, John, Dinah, James, Abigail, and Margery. Nathaniel married, September 21st 1780, Margaret HALL, who died May 21st 1796, and he married, December 7th 1796, Mary Strong, who died October 25th 1802, and he married, December 7th 1803, Hannah, widow of Captain Timothy ROGERS. He died January 11th 1829. His children were: Lydia, Abijah, Nathaniel, Lucy, Noah, Charles, Margaret, Mary, and Timothy R. Nathaniel jr. married Nabby J. SMITH and had nine children, among whom were the late Noah S. and Alexander H., who were engaged in manufacturing at one time-Noah in the manufacture of hoes, and Alexander in coffin trimmings. John MARKHAM jr. was a soldier in the Revolution, and, January 11th 1781, married Asenath SMITH, and settled on Chestnut Hill. His wife dying, he married, second, Anna, widow of Ambrose NILES. He died April 15th 1852. His children were Betsey Ann (who married Oliver WARNER), Asenath, John, Hiram, Ambrose N., and Laura. John, his son, lived on Chestnut Hill and represented the town in the General Assembly, and the 18th Senatorial district in the State Senate, and held many offices of profit and trust in the gift of his fellow townsmen. Ambrose N. was engaged n the lumber business in company with Elijah CLARK 2d, for a number of years, and after the retirement of Mr. CLARK carried on the business alone until his death in 1882.
Hiram F. MATHER, graduate of Yale College in 1813, practiced law in Middle Haddam from 1816 to 1818, when he removed to Elbridge, New York. He died in Chicago, Illinois, July 14th 1868.
Richard MAYO settled on Hog Hill about the year 1740. He was born in Eastham, Massachusetts, and was a son of Thomas, grandson of Nathaniel, and great-grandson of the Rev. John MAYO, of Barnstable, Massachusetts, who emigrated from England to this country about 1639, was one of the original settlers of Barnstable, the first pastor of the Second Church in Boston from 1655 to 1673, and died at Yarmouth, Massachusetts, 1676. He married Rebecca SPARROW, December 26th 1728, and had: Richard, born October 22d 1729; Eunice, born October 22d 1731, married Amos BOOGE, November 22d 1750; Rebecca, born February 13th 1733, married Ozias GIBBS, January 11th 1759; Sarah, born June 19th 1736, died young; Ruth, born July 8th 1739, married Joshua GRIFFITH, July 19th 1759; Mercy, born April 27th 1742, married Noadiah WHITE, January 30th 1772; and Sarah, baptized November 4th 1744, at which time he was dead, but no date of the death of himself or widow has been found. Richard MAYO jr. married, June 2d 1751, Ruth GIBBS, by whom he had a son, Richard, born March 24th 1760, and died of the camp fever in the American Army, on Long Island, September 22d 1776. His wife dying, he married, May 3d 1773, Elizabeth BRADFORD, by whom he has a daughter, Ruth, who married Simon SMITH. He died May 25th 1813.
Ebenezer MUNGER, a native of Guilford, Connecticut, and graduate of Yale College in 1814, practiced medicine in Middle Haddam a few years, and about 1823 removed to Bainbridge, New York, and afterward to Homer, New York, where he died October 13th 1857. He married Cynthia, daughter of Rev. David SELDEN, December 31st 1818.
Frederic MORGAN, M. D., a native of Groton, and graduate of Yale College in 1813, practiced medicine in Middle Haddam about two years, 1824-26. He afterward removed to Middletown, then to Ellington, and in 1830 settled in Colchester, where he died June 18th 1877, aged 88 years.
Elisha NILES, of Colchester, married Naomi ACKLEY, October 16th 1783, and settled in East Hampton. He was a schoolmaster and for many years a post rider between Middletown and New London. He died January 18th 1845, aged 81 years. His widow died in 1850. Their children were Nancy, George H., Zelinda (married George WELSH), Lydia, Esther (married Harry ROCKWELL), and a number who died in infancy.
Daniel NILES, of Millington, married Abigail BEACH and removed to East Hampton about the year 1800, residing near the railroad depot. Their children were: Dan B. and Laura. Dan B. was a bell manufacturer and carried on the business for a number of years in connection with his sons, under the firm name of D. B. NILES & Sons. He died in 1878.
Stephen OLMSTED, son of John and Susannah OLMSTED, of East Haddam, and a descendant of Nicholas and Sarah (LOOMIS) Olmsted, who settled in Hartford in 1640, was born August 17th 1721. He married Mary ----- and resided near where Horatio D. CHAPMAN no lives, and was quite a prominent man in the early days of the society, being often called to preside over its meetings and serve on its committees. He also held successively the ranks of ensign, lieutenant, and captain in the train band. He went with others to Boston, in April 1775, and served some time in the Revolutionary Army. He died of the small-pox, April 26th 1778, and is buried near the grave of the Rev. John NORTON, on MILLER's Hill. His epitaph:
"Let no rude step disturb the ground Where this reposing dust is found,"
seeming out of place, in view of the fact that the ground has been plowed and cultivated to the edge of the mount. He left two sons, Rev. Stephen, who also served in the Revolutionary war, and was for forty years settled as a Baptist clergyman at Schodack, New York, and Jonathan, a merchant in Hamilton, New York, and a liberal donor to the college there. He also left six daughters: Dorothy, who married, March 10th 1776, Elijah DAY, a descendant of Robert DAY of Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1634, but who died in 1848 in Hartford (she was the grandmother of Mrs. A. G. BEVIN, Mrs. J. C. KELLOGG, and Roderick DAY, of East Hampton. She died August 4th 1846, aged 94 years); Susannah, married Jared PARMELEE; Hannah, Anna, Mercy, and Aurelia.
Jonathan PARMELEE, a descendant of John PARMELEE, one of the early settlers of Guilford, Connecticut, married Sarah TAYLOR in 1728, and about the year 1750, removed to East Hampton, having previously lived in Litchfield and Branford. His children were: Sarah, born April 22d 1730, died young; Bryan, born July 31st 1732; Oliver, born October 1734; Ann, born February 177; Sarah, born November 1st 1739; Jonathan, born October 7th 1743; Asaph, born November 2d 1746; Jared, born August 1st 1748, married Susannah OLMSTEAD; and Lucy, born January 15th 1752, married Dr. Titus HULL, of Cheshire. Bryan married, November 13th 1755, Rebecca CONE and resided near where B. B. HALL now lives. He built the first saw and grist mill in the parish, if not within the present limits of the town, and was for many years a justice of the peace and prominently connected with the affairs of the town and society. He died January 6th 1817. His children were: Mary, Ann, John (married Lucy ANNABLE), Esther, David, Sarah, and Timothy (married Hannah SMITH). Mr. S. D. PARMELEE is a descendant of this family and especially interested in its history.
Linus PARMELEE, a native of Guilford, whose parents removed to Haddam when he was quite young, studied law with Levi H. CLARK, and was admitted to the bar in 1809. He practiced in Haddam until 1842, when he removed to Middle Haddam, where he continued to practice until a few years before his death, which occurred May 29th 1870, at the age of 84. John, one of his sons, has been a letter carrier in New Haven for a number of years.
"IN MEMORY OF MR. JOHN PETERS BORN AUG. 27 1726 HE DIED OF SMALL POX JAN. 27 1761 TO YE GREAT GRIEF OF HIS RELICT FIVE CHILDREN & ACQUAINTANCE WHOSE CHARITIES TO YE POOR ENTITLES HIM TO YE TEMPLE OF EVERLASTING MEMORYS & YE BLESSINGS OF GOD. MORTALS MUST DIE TO BECOME IMMORTAL. HEAVEN GAINED ONLY THROUGH DEATH. FAITH IN CRUCIFIXION. HOPE BY RESSURRECTION."
The above is a copy of the inscription on a broken headstone lying on the ground a few rods to the west of the residence of Chauncey B. WEST, Mr. PETERS was a native of Hebron and a brother of the Rev. Samuel PETERS of Tory fame. He married Deborah BIRCHARD, in Hebron, January 14th 1747-8, but the name of the only one of his children is known to the writer-Phœbe, born October 26th 1760, who married George GATES. Tradition has it that Mr. PETERS was a very pious and worthy man.
Josiah PURPLE, of East Haddam, married Martha COOK in 1776, and resided where John P. PURPLE, his grandson, now lives. He died November 17th 1836, aged 84 years, and his wife in 1829, aged 74. Their children were Ruth, Martha, Josiah, James, Lydia, Mehitabel, Nathaniel, Liva, Julia, Polly, and Phila.
John Hugh PETERS, son of Jonathan PETERS of Hebron, graduated at Williams College in 1798, studied law with his brother, Judge John T. PETERS, began practice in Middle Haddam in 1803, and practiced there until his death, October 7th 1811, at the age of 35. Dr. FIELD says that he was a well read lawyer but not distinguished as an advocate. He was the first postmaster in Middle Haddam and held the office at the time of his death.
Thomas RICH removed from that part of Eastham, Mass., that is now Orleans, to Middle Haddam about 1738. He was a son of Richard and Mercy (KNOWLES) RICH, and a descendant of Samuel RICH, who died at Eastham about 1665. Thomas married Thankful MAYO, and after their removal to Middle Haddam had the following children baptized: Bathsheba, Sarah, Thomas, and Eliakim.
John and David RICH, brothers of Thomas, also settled in Middle Haddam, from which place David removed to Wallingford. John, by wife Lydia, had Isaac, James, Mary, Samuel, John, and Isaac, born to them between 1738 and 1756. Amos RICH married Mary BROWN in 1749 and had a son Amos, who served as a Continental soldier during the greater part of the Revolutionary war. The following, copied from the records of Governor Trumbull's Council at a meeting held in Lebanon, August 10th 1779, is deemed worthy of preservation in this connection.
"On representation of Cornelius RICH of Chatham that he has had five sons in the Continental Army, three of which are dead, killed in the service, one lately at Norwalk, that he has two more in ye service, one son only remaining with him who is lately detached in the Militia service for one month or five weeks on ye sea coast, that his circumstances are such that he cannot part with and has been detained till this time praying this board that he may be excused from said service. This board in consideration of the particular and almost singular circumstances of Mr. RICH's case release his son from this detachment and will direct that his case be favorably considered for the future."
The son mentioned above as being killed at Norwalk was Nathaniel RICH, who was killed at that place July 11th 1779. He was wounded in the knee and his comrades endeavored to carry him from the field as they were retreating, and being closely pressed he begged of them to leave him and save themselves. This they were reluctantly compelled to do, and upon returning in about two hours, found that he was dead, with the top of his head brown off by the discharge of a musket used to dispatch him. He was in fact brutally murdered by some of the British soldiers.
John, son of Robert and Martha (HINE) Richmond, was born in West Brookfield, Mass., December 9th 1767. In 1792, he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Timothy HALL, of East Hartford, and in 1795 commenced practice in East Hampton and resided there until his death, December 16th 1821. He married Prudence, daughter of William WADSWORTH, of East Hartford, May 14th 1795, and had the following children: William Wadsworth, Hiram, Eunice, Robert Usher, Jemima Birge, Abner Hall, Leonard, John, and Nelson Clark. His widow died March 11th 1822. Three of his grandson, James, John, and Hiram jr., sons of Hiram and Phœbe (EDWARDS) RICHMOND, served in the Confederate army during the late Rebellion, James and John losing their lives in the service. Besides attending to his professional duties he instructed several young men in the profession, and Norton BILL, ---KNEELAND, Benajah MYNARD, Isaac WHITMORE, Jesse BIGELOW, Newell SMITH, Elijah ROOT, Abner N. CLARK, Orrin COOK, Green PARMELEE, Harry PARMELEE, and Richard M. SMITH learned from him their first lessons in medicine and surgery.
Harry ROCKWELL was born in Warehouse Point, Conn., January 18th 1796, and on the 19th of January 1817, married Esther, daughter of Elisha NILES. In 1819, he went to Savannah, Georgia, in the employ of a New York man as a carpenter. Here he spent the winter and returning to New York, shipped on board a vessel bound on a whaling expedition to the South Sea Islands. On account of cruel and inhuman treatment by the officers, Mr. ROCKWELL and some of his comrades deserted and after almost incredible suffering they reached a place where an English man of war was lying, on board of which they shipped. England and Spain were then at war and in a short time a Spanish vessel captured the Englishmen, and the crew were introduced to all the horrors of a Spanish prison. At length he was released, and enlisted in the American naval service, where he remained a number of years, and afterward entered the merchant service as a sailor, and visited many foreign countries. In about six years after leaving home he came into New York and learning that his wife, supposing him to be dead, had married again he returned to his seafaring life. Mrs. ROCKWELL married George EVANS, who died in 1831, leaving her with three children. In 1835, Mr. ROCKWELL, moved by a desire to learn what fortune had befallen his home during his 16 years of absence, returned to East Hampton, where he was unrecognized, and by cautious inquiry he learned the particulars. On the afternoon of July 4th 1835, he knocked at the door of his home and asked permission for brief shelter from an impending thunder shower and was cheerfully bidden to enter. In a few moments he was recognized and five days later they were reunited in marriage. Three sons were born of this union and the couple thus reunited lived together nearly 48 years, until Mr. ROCKWELL's death, April 8th 1883.
Capt. Timothy ROGERS, from Cape Cod, was a sailor in the war of the Revolution from Chatham, and was confined as a prisoner in one of the prison ships in New York for a time. He received the appointment of ensign from Samuel HARRINGTON, Esq., Captain-General and Commander-in-Chief, in October 1789. He taught school in Middletown, and in 1793 and 1794, represented the town of Chatham in the General Assembly, and made an effective speech at one of the sessions in favor of some educational measure that was under consideration. He married Hannah, daughter of Ebenezer SEARS, and died September 27th 1796, aged 39 years.
Ebenezer ROWLEY married Susannah ANNABLE, October 18th 1750, and lived hear the present residence of John N. WHITE. He died February 7th 1811, aged 84, and his widow died January 11th 1821, aged 88 years, and their remains were deposited in a tomb not far from their residence on the banks of Salmon River. Their children were: Susannah; Ithamar, who married Demmis GATES; Ebenezer, who married Abigail KNOWLTON, and settled in Winchester, Connecticut; Marah; Olive, who married Philip WHITE; Anna, Lydia, Asher, Dorothy, Daniel, Lucina, Elijah, and Elisha. Moses ROWLEY was an early settler in Chatham, and Ebenezer, above mentioned, may have been his son, but it is not positively known to the writer.
Ebenezer SEARS, son of Paul and Mercy (FREEMAN) SEARS, and a descendent of Richard SEARS, who was in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1632, removed about 1746 from Yarmouth, Massachusetts to East Hampton, where he died and left the following children: Desire, married John MARKHAM; Ebenezer, Paul, Thomas, Hezekiah, Mary, Dinah, and Betsey. Ebenezer jr., married Elizabeth COOK in 1753, and had Anna, who married Amos CLARK; David, who married Lucy HALL; Sarah, who married Seth ALVORD; Hannah, who married Timothy ROGERS; and Betsey, who married John WILLEY. He died in 1814. Joshua SEARs, brother of Ebenezer, and who removed from Yarmouth with him, is said to have been a man of great stature and strength. His children were Rebecca, Elkanah, Joshua, Betsey, Paul, Simeon, Thomas, Sarah, and Hannah.
Elkanah SEARS, born in 1834, married Ruth WHITE, January 6th 1757, and resided west of Pocotopaug Lake. He was a tall man and very muscular and is said to have been reckless of danger. After the Revolutionary war broke out he equipped a vessel, which he commanded himself, and which preyed on the British commerce. His vessel was captured and he and one of his men were taken prisoners and confined on board a British ship. From what he heard and saw he suspected that preparations were making for their summary execution, and confiding his suspicions to his man proposed an attempt to escape. His man thought the attempt hazardous, but concluding that they had rather trust their necks in the winter than to a rope, they elided the sleeping sentinel about midnight and let themselves into the water, but were soon discovered and fired upon from the ship. SEARS reached the shore in safety, and taking a boat went out and picked up his man, whose strength had given out, and both escaped. After the war he became extensively engaged in mechanical and agricultural pursuits, and died November 24th 1816, leaving a large estate. His wife died May 7th 1823. Their children were: Isaac, Willard, Ruth (died young), Ruth, Rachel, and Benjamin. Benjamin SEARS married Ann BIGELOW and removed to Ohio where he joined the Baptist church, was ordained, and traveled extensively in the far West, and among the Indians as a missionary. Clark O. SEARS, postmaster and merchant in East Hampton, is a descendant of Elkanah.
Judah SEXTON and Margery, his wife, probably from Colchester, were residing in town at the time of its incorporation. Their children recorded on the town records are: Mary, Mercy, Elizabeth, and Levi. Samuel and Jesse SEXTON's names appear later on the town records.
Justin SEXTON married Narcissa BRAINERD in 1817, and resided on Pine Brook in Middle Haddam Parish near the Haddam line. He owned a saw mill and a satinet factory, where he and his sons carried on the business of carding wool and manufacturing cloth for a number of years.
Deming W., and Leverett S. SEXTON, sons of Walter, and grandson of Samuel, above mentioned, carried on the business of manufacturing wrought iron cow bells in a building on MILLER's Hill for a time, and afterward built a small factory below SKINNER's Mills, on Pine Brook, where they carried on the business until the death of Leverett, in 1865. Deming W., is supposed to be the originator of the tuning of sleigh bells by a set of fours as it is called. He also made a set of Swiss hand bells, running through four octaves, for LEAVITT's Swiss Bell Ringers.
Abel SHEPARD, a descendant of Edward SHEPARD, of Cambridge, Mass., in 1639, carried on ship building at Middle Haddam Landing for a number of years. He died October 9th 1833, aged 86. His wife, Mary LEWIS, whom he married in 1769, died in 1828, aged 78. Their children were: Sarah, Lucy, Hannah, Mary, Bartlett, Abel, Edward, Anna, and Harry. The last vessel built at his yard was the Liberty, but one that was on the stocks at the same time was burnt, it is supposed, by a disappointed rigger.
Warren A. SKINNER, of Westchester, and a descendant of John SKINNER, one of the early settlers of Hartford, married Anna DAY, in 1810, and removed to East Hampton, where, in 1818, he was elected deacon of the church, and was highly respected. He died January 4th 1862, and his widow died in 1879. Their children were: Diantha, who married Anson CARPENTER; Samuel, who succeeded his father as deacon, and is proprietor of a paper box manufactory in East Hampton; Ruth Ann, Emily, Mary, Henry, John W., Warren, Lyman F., and Rosanna. Henry is the proprietor of the saw and grist mill on Pine Brook, on the old Colchester Turnpike, and is also a wheelwright. John W. was a shoemaker, and during the late Rebellion served as drum major of the 24th Regiment, C. V. M.
Ralph SMITH and wife, Mary, with sons, Thomas, Isaac, Enoch, Ezra, and Heman, and daughters, Mary and Phœbe, removed from Eastham, Mass., and settled on Hog Hill, about the year 1739. He was a son of Thomas SMITH, and a descendant of Ralph SMITH, a non-conformist preacher in Hingham, England. He died April 8th 1763, aged 82 years, and she died July 13th 1744, aged 50 years. Nearly all of the name in town are descendants of this settler, but only the line of Isaac has been definitely traced. He married Mary SPARROW in 1738, and removed to East Hampton, where he was deacon of the church, and where he died in 1802. His children were: Azubah, married John HINCKLEY; Ralph married Hannah HOLLISTER; Isaac, married Jerusha BROOKS; Mary; Sarah; Phœbe; Asenath, married John MARKHAM; and Sparrow, who married Eunice CLARK, and was the father of Nathaniel C., for may years town clerk and justice of the peace, and is now living, at the age of 89, in East Hampton.
Isaac SMITH, who married Jerusha BROOKS, succeeded his father as deacon, and died in 1815. His son, Isaac, was a distinguished physician in Portland.
Benjamin SMITH, from Hebron, and his wife, Hannah, lived in Middle Haddam Parish as early as 1748, when they had seven children baptized by the Rev. Mr. BOWERS; Andres, David, Elijah, Benjamin, Israel, Ephraim, and Frederic; in 1749, Stephen, Timothy, and Waitstill; and in 1750, Content Hannah. Representatives of this family resided until recently in Portland and Middletown.
Simon SMITH married Ruth MAYO, and lived at the foot of Chestnut Hill, near where the railroad crosses by Nathan ALDEN's, where he died in 1846, aged 81. His widow died in 1855, aged 80. Their children were: Electa, who married Nathaniel PURPLE; Richard MAYO, who studied for a physician, and married Eunice RICHMOND, and died in 1822, soon after he commenced practice; William R., late of Portland, deceased; Lydia, who married William A. BROWN; and Ruth, who died young.
Dr. Newell SMITH, a descendant of Benjamin SMITH, of Middle Haddam, practiced medicine a number of years in Oneida County, N. Y., but about 1834 removed to Portland, where he died in 1844, aged 60.
Hon. Samuel SIMONS, born at Hampton, Conn., July 11th 1792, studied medicine and practiced in Middle Haddam from 1822 to 1824, when he removed to Bridgeport, where he died January 13th 1847. From 1843 to 1845 he represented the Fourth Congressional District of Connecticut in Congress.
Hon. John STEWART was born in what is now the town of Portland, February 12th 1793, and married Delia HURD in 1719, engage din ship building and merchandise in Middle Haddam, and was very successful in business. He represented the town at different times in both branches of the Legislature, and the Second Congressional district of Connecticut in Congress from 1843 to 1845. While engaged in ship building he built upwards of 30 vessels. He died September 16th 1860. His son, Henry L., has been one of the largest breeders of Ayrshire cattle and Southdown sheep in the town. In 1867, he imported five ewes and two rams from the celebrated WEBB flock in England. He subsequently purchased from the estate of J. C. Taylor, in New Jersey, a ram for which he paid $200. In 1872, his flock cost him upwards of $1,700, but within three months over $800 worth were killed or rendered useless by dogs. In 1857, he commenced raising Ayrshire cattle from stock purchased of Commodore GOLDSBORO, of Maryland. He kept a record of the stock killed for beef, which showed better results than that of any other stock in the country. The demand for Jerseys and other popular cattle, let him to abandon the enterprise which for a time was very successful.
Asahel Hooker STRONG, son of Rev. Cyprian STRONG, D. D., of Portland, graduated from Yale College in 1796, and was one of the best scholars in his class. He studied law with the Hon. Sylvester GILBERT, of Hebron, and commenced practice in Middle Haddam about the beginning of the present century. He died January 7th 1818, about 41 years of age.
Josiah STRONG jr., son of Josiah and Hannah (FULLER) STRONG, of Colchester, where he was born, January 28th 1740, married, January 13th 1761, Mary, daughter of Deacon Benjamin HARRIS, and settled in Middle Haddam, where he died September 8th 1814. She died January 1st 1822, aged 82 years. Their children were: John HARRIS, born January 19th 1762, married Elizabeth CAREY, and in 1811 removed to Euclid, Ohio, where he was a land agent, and judge of the Court of Common Pleas from 1817 until his death, April 28th 1823; Esther, born October 3d 1763, married Asaph DOANE; Hannah, born October 3d 1765; Davis, born August 21st 1767, married, February 24th 1788, Mary, daughter of Elisha SWIFT, of Falmouth, Massachusetts, and was a farmer in Middle Haddam, where he died July 10th 1848 (their children were Sophronia, Davis Swift, Morris M., Susan, Roderic, Braddock, Titus, Mary, and Adeline); Mary, born December 26th 1768; Martha, born December 30th 1771; Grace, born June 20th 1774; Josiah, born January 12th 1777; and Hope, baptized March 19th 1780.
Joshua STRONG, brother of Josiah jr., born April 24th 1743, lived in Middle Haddam, and had Noah, Anna, Hope, Joshua, Noah, Rachel, and Lydia, baptized by the Rev. Benjamin BOARDMAN between January 1765 and March 30th 1777. He died November 25th 1779, and no further particulars are known concerning this family.
Benjamin STRONG, brother of Josiah jr., and Joshua, was born February 15th 1759, married, November 27th 1782, Susannah TROWBRIDGE, and settled in Middle Haddam, where he died about 1818. His children were: Reuben, born October 6th 1783, and Benjamin, born 1785, both lost at sea November 19th 1809, when sailing to Norfolk, Virginia; Susan, who married Oliver ACKLEY; Ansel, who married Hannah STOCKING; Rhoda, who married Alfred HUBBARD; and Lovina, who married Chauncey B. BULKLEY. Braddock STRONG resided on the homestead, and filled various offices of profit and trust in the gift of his fellow townsmen, dying September 30th 1878, nearly 79 years of age, universally respected.
Adonijah STRONG, son of Asahel and Betterus (CROUCH) STRONG, of Colchester, born May 21st 1749, married Mary, daughter of Daniel KELLOGG, of Bolton, and settled in East Hampton as a farmer, dying there, May 17th 1824. She died February 9th 1823, aged 73 years. Their children were: Adonijah; Mary, married Nathaniel MARKHAM; Abigail, married, first, Elijah ACKLEY, second, William HOLMES; Henry, Betsey, married Daniel HARDING; Anna married Oliver BRAINERD; Asahel Kellogg, died young; Louisa Kellogg, died young; Kellogg, born October 30th 1791, married and lived in Portland; and Daniel, who died December 3d 1813, aged 20.
Adonijah STRONG jr., married, September 11th 1794, Elizabeth, daughter of Deacon Moses COOK. He was a farmer and peddler, and was drowned April 17th 1809, in attempting to cross Westfield River. She died August 14th 1851, aged 77 years. Their children were: Elizabeth, born 1795, married Bliss WELSH; Charlotte, born January 18th 1797, married Nathaniel C. SMITH; Lydia, married Henry BUSH; Lucy, married Henry STRONG; Hannah, married Gilbert HILLS; Charles A., who married, first, Lucy HURLBUT, and second, Sally HURLBUT, and was a farmer living on MILLER's Hill, in East Hampton, also a member of the Legislature in 1861, and for a number of years the first selectman of the town; Julia Ann, who married Henry HARDING; and Polly, who married George K. WHITE. Henry STRONG, son of Adonijah, married, September 17th 1801, Susannah NEWTON, widow of Daniel B. NEWTON and daughter of Deacon Moses COOK. She died April 15th 1820, and he married, September 13th 1820, Philena, daughter of Apollas ARNOLD. He was a farmer and resided in a house that stood where the silk mill now stands, and where he died July 2d 1828. His children by his first wife were: Henry, born August 17th 1802, married his double cousin, Lucy, daughter of Adonijah STRONG jr., and died a year to two since at his residence on MILLER's Hill; Susan, who married Julius GATES; Elizabeth Mary, who married Nehemiah GATES; Butler Newton, who manufactured waffle irons, gridirons, and other iron castings, on the site of the shops of BEVIN Brothers Manufacturing Company, and was afterward a seedsman at Wethersfield; Deidama, who married Washington S. ACKLEY; Adeline, who married William G. COMSTOCK; Daniel, who married Anna GATES, and was a seedsman in Wethersfield and Portland of a number of years; Philanda, who married Nehemiah GATES as his second wife; and Samuel LEVERETT, who married Abby Susan DILLINGHAM, of New Bedford, Massachusetts. By his second wife he had one son, Jamin Allin, who was a physician at Warren, Pennsylvania, and was killed there, September 22d 1849, by the kick of a horse. The descendants of Adonijah STRONG held a family festival, August 22d 1866, on the grounds of Charles A. STRONG, and four generations were represented there, from grandchildren to great-great-great-grandchildren. Young and old sat down at two tables, 290 feet long, spread under a canopy of canvas and loaded with inviting viands. In the latter part of the day they adjourned to the Methodist Episcopal church opposite and listed to addresses from Henry STRONG, of East Berlin, and Gideon H. WELSH, of Torrington, followed by various speakers in prose and verse. Daniel STRONG, of Portland, who has since been killed by the cars in Westfield, Connecticut, stated that the number of descendants up to that time was 533, and that no one of the family had ever been arraigned for any even petty crime, or was ever an inmate of an almshouse or dependent upon public or private charity for support. The day was spent in songs, speeches, prayers, praise, and mutual conversation. The band of the Governor's Guard, of Hartford, enlivened the occasion with music. The day of festivities was closed at an early hour with Auld Lang Syne and the Doxology, but the younger representatives of the family kept up the frolic to the gratification of many of the older ones to a late hour of the night.
David STRONG, son of Ezra STRONG, of Marlboro, married Hannah ACKLEY in 1773, and removed to East Hampton in 1794, and carried on farming and kept a tavern in a house that stood where H. D. CHAPMAN's house now stands. His wife died in 1808 and he married Hannah SMITH, of Waterford. He was a soldier in the Revolution and by trade a weaver. He died in 1825. He had 19 children, all by his first wife, 11 of whom died in infancy. Those who reached years of maturity were: Ezra, who married Lucy MARKHAM; Hannah, who married Elisha HALL; Anson, who married and lived on Haddam Neck, and was deacon of the Middle Haddam Congregational Church; Clarissa, who married Joseph K. SELDEN; Chloe, who married Philo GATES; Benjamin A., who married Lucy S. WELSH, and resided north of the lake; and John C. A., who married Deborah CLARK, and resided on the old homestead. John C. A. STRONG had two sons, Clark and David, both of whom served in the war for the Union, Clark as adjutant and David as a lieutenant in the 24th Regiment, C. V. David, in company with A. N. MARKHAM, commenced the manufacture of coffin trimmings in a room hired of the East Hampton Bell Company about the year 1860, and subsequently in a building now occupied by the Eureka Silk Manufacturing Company. After the war they took in Clark STRONG as a partner, and after a few years formed a joint stock company under the firm name of "The STRONG Manufacturing Company," and removed to Winsted, Conn., where Clark died in 1878.
Eleazer TALLMAN, of Providence, where he was born, October 12th 1774, came to Middle Haddam in 1800, married Susan FULLER, of Colchester, in 1805, and died Marcy 17th 1852. She died August 14th 1853. They had six children, and among them two sons, Walter and Thomas. Thomas TALLMAN, born June 12th 1815, graduated from Yale College in 1837 and from Yale Theological Seminary in 1840. He was ordained and installed pastor of the Congregational Church in Scotland, Conn., May 20th 1844, and held that relation until his dismission, June 26th 1861. He was in charge of the Congregational church in Groton, Conn., and confined his labors to supplying vacant pulpits. He took charge of the Congregational church of East Putnam from April 1868 to November 1869, which was is last charge. He died October 9th 1872.
Eleazer VEAZEY married Mary MARKHAM, January 20th 1745-6, in Middletown, and had a son, Eleazer, born September 4th 1748, married Mary, daughter of Stephen BROWN, of Windham, in 1771, and about 1780 settled east of Pocotopaug Lake, where his wife died in 1800, and he married Thankful BILLINGS, of Stonington, who died in 1831. He died February 21st 1826. His children were: Mary, Elizabeth, and the late Capt. Eleazer.
Captain Lazarus WATROUS, son of Lazarus and Lois (LOOMIS) Watrous, of Colchester, married Anna CLARK and resided near the Marlborough line in the East District, where he died in 1850, highly respected. Their children were John D., Timothy C., Abner N., Fidelia A., Harmony, Sarah E., Anna M., Leverett C., David W., and Annette. David W. commenced the manufacture of bells at first as a partner in the East Hampton Bell Company, and afterward, with R. S. CLARK, carried on the business sin the factory now occupied by WATROUS & Co. In 1863, he bought out his partner, and, under the firm name of D. W. WATROUS & Co. carried on the manufacture of bells and coffin trimmings for a number of years.
William WELSH married Anna BLISS in what is now Montville, and after residing a short time in Nova Scotia settled in East Hampton about the time of the breaking out of the Revolution. He died November 25th 1789, aged 69. His widow died April 4th 1818, aged 95 years. The names of their children have not been recorded, but they had a son, William jr., who married Deborah L. JEWETT in 1776, and was an elder in the Baptist church, filling the pulpit very acceptably for many years. He died in 1838 at the age of 85.
Constant WELSH, probably a son of William and Anna WELSH, was a deacon in the Baptist church and lived where William H. BUELL now resides. He was a very worthy man and died suddenly, July 3d 1830, aged 75.
George WELSH married Zelinda NILES in 1807, and about 1825 removed to Bristol, Connecticut, where he spent a long and useful life. Of his children, Deming N. graduated from the military school of Captain PARTRIDGE in Middletown and died in Texas; Harmanus M. removed to New Haven, where he has held the office of mayor of the city and treasurer of the town and city for a number of years, and is now president of the First National Bank of New Haven; and Elisha N. WELSH is a prominent manufacturer in Bristol, Connecticut.
Bliss WELSH married Elizabeth STRONG and resided south of the lake where Patrick O'CONNELL 2d now resides, and had a large family. One of his sons, Adonijah S., graduated from the University of Michigan and was a very successful teacher. He was elected United States Senator from Florida in 1868, served for a short time, and is now principal of an agricultural school in Iowa.
David WEST jr. married Judith HILLS, November 1st 1757, and in 1783 removed to Winchester, Connecticut, where he died in 1822, aged 87 years. He was one of the pioneers of the Methodist Episcopal church, and a very worthy man. His sons, Aaron and Judah, served in the Revolution. Other families of this name appear on the early records, but little is known concerning them.
Amasa WEST united with the church in East Hampton in 1808, and in 1812, journeyed westward and was a very successful missionary. He died some years since in Michigan.
Philip WHITE jr., born April 12th 1760, came from England with his parents, and shortly afterward the father returned and was never heard from, and his mother married Jonathan PARMELE. Philip enlisted into the American Army at Cambridge, in 1776, at the early age of 16, and followed its fortune until the close of the war. During this continuous service the only casualty he received was the jamming of one of his feet between two boats during the retreat of the army from Long Island. After the war he married Olive, daughter of Ebenezer ROWLEY, and resided near his father-in-law and had several children: Hepsibah, Olive, Moses, Nabby, Philip, Sally, and Caroline being of the number.
Gordon WHITMORE, son of Daniel WHITMORE, of Middletown, and a descendant of Francis WHITMORE, an early settler of Cambridge, Mass., resided in Middle Haddam during the last half of the eighteenth century. His children were: Daniel, Titus, Gordon, Ole, Tryon, Almira, Sarah Ann, Maria Louisa, and Etta Elizabeth. Titus married Eliza DART, and for a number of years was a merchant doing business in a store near the present steamboat landing. Gordon kept for many years the hotel in Middle Haddam known as WHITMORE's Hotel, and is still living at the age of 80.
John WRIGHT, who died in Middle Haddam, March 5th 1780, aged 68 years, and Mary, his wife, who died January 19th 1800, aged 89 years, came from Barnstable county, Mass., and settled about a mile south of KOWLES' Landing. William WRIGHT, their son, married Anna HURLBUT, December 18th 1764, and had john, Noah, Mollie, Nymphas, Katie, and Anna. John WRIGHT jr., married Ruth HIGGINS in 1773. Nymphas WRIGHT, born in 1776, was a sea captain. He married Hannah DANIELS, and resided on the old homestead, and raised a family of ten children. William, one of his sons, graduated from Yale College, in 1835, studied theology, and has preached in Jewett City and Plainville, in Conn., and Chicopee, in Mass., and is now living in the State of New York. Levi D. WRIGHT, son of Nymphas, died in Bridgehampton, Long Island, in 1883, where he had been located for a number of years as a physician.
The YOUNG family settled in the eastern part of Middle Haddam Parish, on what is now known as YOUNG Street, at an early date, Samuel YOUNG and Rebecca, his wife, uniting with the church there, July 7th 1745. Of their children we have the names of Samuel, James, Elizabeth, Asaph, and Rebecca; who were baptized there before 1753, in which year a Samuel YOUNG died, at the age of 27. Samuel YOUNG (son of Samuel) married Melatiah FULLER in 1767, and served as a soldier in the Revolution. Their children were: Esther, Samuel, Elias, Seth, Zillah, Eunice, and Ezra. Samuel YOUNG jr., married Mehitable, daughter of Simeon YOUNG, and had, among other children, a son, Francis, who was for many years a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a very skilful dentist.
Lieut. Titus CARRIER, son of John and Mary (BROWN) CARRIER, of Colchester, and descendent of Thomas CARRIER, whose wife, Martha, was hung for a witch in Andover, Mass., in 1692, was born August 23d 1733. He married Mercy COOK, and resided in East Hampton, west of the lake, not far from the Bridge that ears his name. Their children were: Mary, born 1766; John, born 1769; Richard, born 1774, married Liva JOHNSON; Mercy, born 1776; and Titus, born 1781. Lieut. Titus CARRIER died July 26th 1796. He was an officer in the army during the Revolution. His son, Titus, married Mehitable WATROUS in 1804, and resided in Middle Haddam, where some of their descendants are now living. John CARRIER, for many years a merchant and prominent citizen there, is their son.
Elisha TAYLOR married Hannah JUDD, September 20th 1739, and resided on Hog Hill, and, it is said, built the house occupied by the late Simeon GOFF. His son, Elisha jr., was a soldier in the Revolution, and was captured and kept in prison New York, dying January 23d 1777, a few days after returning home. Mr. TAYLOR died October 6th 1800, aged 86 years, and his wife died February 1st 1789, aged 72 years.
Stephen GRIFFITH was a petitioner for the incorporation of East Hampton Parish, in 1746, but no facts he been received concerning him. His grandson, Stephen, was master of a vessel, and during the Revolution engaged in privateering. He was captured and confined in the old Jersey prison ship in Wallabout Bay. While sick there he was attended by a steward of his, named RICH, who had an encounter, foolish on both sides, with a British midshipman, resulting fatally to the latter. Instead of being punished, the homicide was justified, or at least excused by the officer in command. The GRIFFITH family resided near the toll-gate on the line of Middle Haddam parish.
William F. G. NOETLING, born in Mannheim, Grand Dukedom of Baden, Germany, April 8th 1819, was educated for the profession of a physician partly at Heidelburg, Baden, and partly at Weigburg, Bavaria, receiving his diploma in 1843, and practiced for a time in Germany. In 1856, he came to America, and, after practicing in different states of the Union, commenced practice in East Hampton, September 1866, where he now resides.
Levi JEWETT, M. D., son of Rev. S. D. JEWETT, of Middlefield, practiced for a short time in Middle Haddam, and was assistant surgeon of the 14th Regiment C. V. After the war he kept a drug store in New York a few years, but is now engaged in agricultural pursuits in Middle Haddam.
L. F. WOOD, M. D., a native of Medway, Massachusetts, where he was born, October 10th 1852, received his education at Dedham, Massachusetts, and graduated in New York cit; was resident physician at New York Dispensary one year and six months; assistant at Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital for one year, and came to East Hampton, May 3d 1879, where he has since practiced.
The lawyers who have practiced in the town that have not heretofore been mentioned are; Abiel L. LOOMIS, Ebenezer FORCE, Asahel UTLEY, Mark MOORE, Horace FOOTE, Lovell HAL, Penrose H. ALBRIGHT, and Daniel A. MARKHAM.
Martin L. Roberts,* (*The Author of the Chatham history would respectfully acknowledge his obligations to the many persons who have aided him in collecting the material for the work. He has endeavor to make it as free as possible from errors, and hopes that if any are found he will be immediately appraised of that fact, as he is at work upon a history of his native town, which, if time and means will allow, he hopes to make second to no work of its kind that has been published, and to that end desires to obtain dates of births, marriages, and deaths of al persons and families who, prior to the year 1850, resided with the present limits of the town.) the compiler of the Chatham history, is a son of Jehiel and Almira E. (WILLEY) Roberts, and was born in East Hampton Parish, April 24th 1839, and is a lineal descendant of John and Sarah (BLAKE) Roberts, an early settler in Middletown. He received an average common school education, and in 1869, represented the town of Chatham in the General Assembly. On the 24th of September 1873, he commenced running on the Air Line Railroad as a postal clerk, and still continues to act in that capacity. He married, March 3d 1875, Ruth A., daughter of Anson CARPENTER, and since May 1st 1877 has resided in New Haven.
The manufacture of bells has been carried on at East Hampton for upwards of 80 years by numerous competitors in the business, and during this period only one man has retired from it with a competence, Hiram VEAZEY. The natural inquiry suggested is whether he had been more fortunate than the others, or whether he possessed peculiar traits of character which conduced to his success, and which were lacking in his several competitors; of this the reader must judge, as it is the duty of the historian to record the facts and not to draw invidious comparisons.
Eleazer, the father of Hiram VEAZEY, was a hard working farmer, born and raised at Windham, Conn. He subsequently removed to East Hampton, and on December 2d 1801, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Lemuel WEST, by whom he had five children: Emily, born February 15th 1805; Florilla, born November 6th 1808; Marietta, born October 19th 1810; Warren, born June 7th 1813; and Hiram, born November 11th 1816.
Hiram, the youngest, was born at East Hampton, where h attended school until he was 19 years of age, working a portion of the time on his father's farm, and in the bell foundry of GOFF & ABELL, where he acquired a practical knowledge of the bell business. He subsequently removed to New Jersey, where he worked in an iron foundry for two years. He returned to his native village in 1839, and commenced the manufacture of bells in company with his brother. The works at this time were operated by horse power. He subsequently retied from the firm and purchased the business of GOFF & ABELL, taking a ten years' lease of the water privilege used by them. He then formed a copartnership with Alfred B. WHITE, and commenced the manufacture of a patent door bell, in connection with other ells, which proved a great success, and in 1882, he retired from business.
He has always taken an active part in the public affairs of his native village, and in 1855-6 he was elected to the Legislature, and was again elected in 1877; during the latter period he served as a member of the finance committee. He has been for several years a director in the Middlesex County Bank, ad of the Farmers' and Mechanics' Bank of Middletown; of the latter he was one of the original incorporators. He has been for many years an active member of the Congregational Church, and in all works of benevolence and public improvement has been a liberal contributor.
He is a man of good judgment, exceedingly cautious, weighing well all the chances before embarking in any business operation. Scrupulously honest in all his transactions, his aim through life has been, wherever expedient, to pay cash, rather than incur a liability which might be attended with any possible risk. To these qualities he doubtless owes his success in life.
On the 27th of September 1842, he married Belinda, daughter of Isaac BEVIN, of East Hampton. While many of competitors in the business are still struggling and toiling on for a living, his declining years are passed in the enjoyment of his hard earned, but honestly gained wealth.