The History of Middlesex County 1635-1885
J. H. Beers & Co., 36 Vesey Street, New York
THE EARLY SETTLERS AND THEIR DESCENDANTS.
[transcribed by Janece Streig]
About 1710, the family of Gideon GOFFE settled about a mile south of Middle Haddam Landing, and are thought to have been the first English inhabitants that had their residence within the present limits of the town. There is a tradition in this family that they are descendants of William GOFFE, one of judges that condemned King Charles the First to death, and it is believed by some that the regicide ended his days in Middle Haddam Parish. But little is known concerning this family, save that at one time they were large and landed proprietors, Gideon jr., Philip, and Nathaniel, sons of the settler, settled in town near their parents and left large families. Jonathan YEOMANS was another early settler, probably, not far from the present steamboat landing, where, in 1735, the General Court granted him the privilege of a ferry.
Capt. Cornelius KNOWLES, son of Samuel, and grandson of Richard KNOWLES, who was an early settler at Plymouth and Eastham, Mass., emigrated to Connecticut, and settled in Middle Haddam, building a house on the bank of the river near the landing, from which circumstance the place was long known as KNOWLES' Landing. The General Court also granted previously to Jonathan YEOMANS. Capt. KNOWLES died, December 28th 1764, in the 71st year of his age, leaving a wife, Elizabeth, and several children.
The first settler in East Hampton of whom anything definite is known, was John CLARK, who settled on what is now CLARK's Hill, about 1737.
Elijah ABELL, son of Benjamin and Lydia (HAZEN) ABELL, and grandson of Caleb and Margaret (PORT) ABELL, one of the early settlers of Norwich, Conn., settled on Hog Hill, not far from 1770. He was born May 12th 1729, and married, first, November 11th 1754, Ann LATHROP, born in 1731. She died December 15th 1764, and he married, October 30th 1768, Mary CLEVELAND. His children by his first wife were Elijah, Abel, Jabez, Anna, and Eunice. He had, by his second wife, Benjamin, Elizabeth, Mollie, Sarah, Joseph, and perhaps others. He removed to Lempster, New Hampshire, where he died, at the age of 70. Elijah ABELL, born October 18th 1755, served in the Revolution, and died, September 14th 1842, unmarried. Abel, born September 14th 1857, married Lucy, daughter of Daniel HUBBARD, for his first wife. By her he had Daniel, Jabez, Alice (who married Joseph WHITE), Asahel, Robert, Elijah, Isaac, and Abel. His wife dying, he married Jemima, daughter of Ozias BRAINERD, and had Martha (who married Amos RICH), Amiel, and Jabez Lathrop. He also serve din the Revolution, and after the war, in company with his brother, Elijah, built a saw and grist mill near where H. B. BROWN & Co.'s machine shop now stands, at the foot of Chestnut Hill. The business was carried on after his death, which occurred March 14th 1841, by his son, Jabez L., who removed to Illinois. [Transcriber's Note: Date of Abel's birth in 1857 was typed as printed in the book.]
Amiel ABELL married, 1833, Marietta VEAZEY, and was a member of the firm of GOFF, ABELL & BUELL, who carried on the bell business at the stand just south of where the Hebron and Middle Haddam Turnpike crosses Pine Brook. Selling out his interest in this firm to Hiram VEAZEY, he united with others in forming the East Hampton Bell Company, who carry on the same business on the site of COOK's ancient grist mill. His son, Irvin H., ABELL, carries on the printing business sin East Hampton under the name of the Chatham Printing Company. The emigrant ancestor of this family is said to be one Robert ABELL, of Lancaster, England, who emigrated to Boston sometime during the last half of the seventeenth century.
James ACKLEY, son of James and Elizabeth ACKLEY, and a descendant of Nicholas, one of the first settlers of Haddam, lived in the Tarsia District, where he died December 31st 1777, in the 71st year of his age. He had, by his wife, Naomi, James, born January 18th 1739. His wife dying, he married Sarah YATES, and had Sarah, Naomi, and Samuel. James ACKLEY jr., married Ruth ACKLEY, December 23d 1759, and had Naomi, born September 19th 1760, married Elisha NILES; Nathaniel, born 1763; James, born 1765; Ruth, born 1770, married Samuel SKINNER; Henry, born 1780, married Ruth PURPLE; and probably others. Nathaniel ACKLEY married Elizabeth SPENCER, April 6th 1788, and lived in the Tarsia District, near where Mrs. Warren S. ACKLEY now lives. He was a soldier in the Revolution and an enterprising farmer. He died September 5th 1838, and she died October 9th 1860, aged 90 years. Their children were: Electa, who married Joseph WHITMORE; Ogden, who married Polly YOUNGS, and had four sons, Enoch, Noah, Jeremiah, and Elijah; Rachel, married Ezra YOUNG; Rhoda, married Julius BRAINERD; Selden, Harriet, and Samuel, who died young, in September 1801; Sarah, married Loren COWDREY; Abby Ann, married Horace C. HINKLEY; Washington S., married Deidama STRONG; Warren S., married Mary Ann WILLEY; and George BUCKLEY, who married, first Susan THOMAS, and second, Lydia HOWARD.
Stephen ACKLEY lived north of Pocotopaug Lake about the time of the incorporation of the town. He served in the war of the Revolution, as did also his son, Stephen ACKLEY jr., who was born in 1762, and went into the service in 1780. He died August 22d 1836, and his wife, Mehitable, died Mach 2d 1837.
James ACKLEY, brother of Nathaniel, married Olive SKINNER, of Westchester, and resided in Young Street District, where he died in 1841. Their children were: Epaphroditus, Lydia, Dudley, Roderick, Silvia, Eliza, Isaac, and Maria.
Thomas ACKLEY died February 23d 1794, aged 53 years, and he is buried in the Lake Cemetery. Nothing is known of his parentage, or of that of Thomas ACKLEY, a native of this town, who emigrated to Sharon in 1768, and died there November 6th 1792, age 67.
Darius ADAMS married Mary, daughter of Nathaniel WHITE, in 1772, was for a few years a resident of East Hampton, and had two children, Lucy and Cynthia, baptized by the Rev. Mr. PARSONS.
Wally ADAMS, of Falmouth, Mass., married Rebecca, daughter of Cornelius KNOWLES, of Middle Haddam, February 13th 1766, and had Sarah, born November 29th 1766, and Knowles, born January 18th 1768. His wife died January 24th 1768, and nothing more is known respecting him.
Jonathan and Seth ALVORD, sons of Thomas and Mary (STRONG) ALVORD, of Northampton, Mass., were early settlers in East Hampton. They were descendants of Alexander and Mary (VOZE) ALVORD, who were married in Windsor in 1646, but settled in Northampton about 1660. Jonathan, born November 16th 1711, married, October 16th 1739, Elizabeth SANFORD, of Milford. She died April 7th 1764, and he married, November 21st 1765, widow Mary BRAINERD, of East Haddam. He was a captain in the train band and prominently connected with offices in the society and town and resided in the East District, near the residence of Henry S. GATES. He sold out about the year 1770, and removed to Winchester, where he died June 28th 1784. He had two sons: Eliphaz, born January 13th 1742; and David, born June 14th 1753, married Elizabeth WETMORE, of Torrington, and removed to Verona, N. Y.
Eliphaz married, November 29th 1764, Esther, daughter of Judah HART, of Kensington, and a neice of the Rev. John NORTON, and removed to Winchester where he held may offices of profit and trust, dying there April 15th 1825.
Seth ALVORD, born November 13th 1714, married Elizabeth SPENCER, and resided near the Daniel B. NILES place in East Hampton. He and his brother Jonathan were the first "quoristers appointed to set the psalm" in the church, in 1760. He died March 17th 1802. His family record has not been recovered, but it is known that he had sons, Ruel, Seth jr., Orrin, Hewit, and probably other children. Ruel, born about 1750, married, November 15th 1774, Hannah HALL, and had John, born 1775, died at sea, of the yellow fever, November 11th 1800; Sybil, Mary, James Hall, Lucy, Esther, Jabez, and Hannah. James Hall, son of Ruel, born August 8th 1781, married, October 11th 1804, Lucy COOK, and in 1809 removed to Winsted. Their son, John Watson, born in East Hampton, April 18th 1807, graduated at Oberlin Theological Seminary in 1836, and was ordained the same year; was acting pastor at Mawmee City, Ohio, 1836, 1837; Buckhamsted, Connecticut, 1838-42; installed at Stamford in 1842; dismissed 1846; installed at South Boston 1846; dismissed 1852; secretary of American Tract Society, in Boston, 1858-66; superintendent schools Freedman's Bureau, Washington, D. C., 1866-70; treasurer Freedman's Trust Company, 1871-4; and died in Denver Colorado, January 14th 1880. Seth ALVORD jr., born July 18th 1754, married, July 3d 1777, Ruth NORCUTT. She died in 1792, and he married, in 1793, Sarah SEARS, who died February 2d 1819. He died July 14th 1836. His children by his first wife were Lydia, Ashbel, Ruth, Sally, Seth, and Zenas; by his second wife, Otis, Beulah, Elizabeth, and Chauncey Hart. The late Jerome L. ALVORD, who died, in 1871, from the effect of a kick in the breast he received while in discharge of his duty as deputy sheriff, was a son of Chauncey Hart. Orrin ALVORD kept a public house at the old homestead for some years, but removed from the town about 1811. His wife's name was Hannah, and their children, as far as known, were Elisha, Annis, Betsey, and Philanda. Hewit ALVORD, born 1757, was a solider in the Revolution, and married, June 16th 1785, Joanna HILL, and died May 27th 1787, leaving a son, John Hewit. His widow married Stephen Burnham, of East Hartford.
Ezra ANDREWS was a petitioner for the incorporation of the Society of East Hampton, in 1743, and one of the society's committee in 1748. He was a son of Samuel and Eleanor (LEE) ANDREWS, of East Haddam, where he was born October 25th 1718. He married, June 21st 1744, Keshiah, the widow of James MAKER, of Middle Haddam, and had two children, baptized by Rev. Mr. BOWERS, Jediel in 1745, and Ezra in 1747. He died about 1753, as his widow united with the church in Middle Haddam December 9th of that year.
Gideon ARNOLD was chosen deacon of the Congregational church, in Middle Haddam, November 18th 1740, and was a descendant of Joseph ARNOLD, one of the first settlers and proprietors of Haddam, Connecticut. Three of his children by wife Abigail were baptized by Mr. BOWERS-Abigail in 1741, Mary in 1743, and Jacob in 1745. He died in 1752.
Gideon ARNOLD, son of Gideon of Middle Haddam, married Lucy, daughter of Gershom HINCKLEY, of Lebanon, September 2d 1761, and settled in East Hampton, near the Eureka Silk Manufacturing Company's works. He was chosen deacon of the church there, February 5th 1795 and died February 18th 1807, aged 72 years. His wife died March 1st 1801, aged 63. Their children were: Apollas, born March 22d 1763, married Lucy, daughter of Deacon James BILL; Mary, born 1765, died young; Dan, born June 11th 1767, studied medicine with Dr. Thomas SKINNER, of Colchester, and practiced his profession a short time in Hebron, and afterward kept a store there, dying February 14th 1855; Mary born 1768, died young; Mary, born 1772, died 1793; Charles, born 1776, lived in Hebron and Lebanon; and Lucy, born January 12th 1779, married Capt. David BUELL. Apollas ARNOLD lived on the old homestead for a time and had a large family of children, but died at residence of his son, in West Hartford, November 10th 1842.
The BAILEY families of Chatham are without doubt descendants of the Haddam settlers of that name, but the records concerning them are very meager, and would be difficult to trace. The marriages of male members of the family recorded before 1785 are as follows:
April 6th 1758, Joshua BAILEY and Ann FOOTE; September 23d 1759, Recompense BAILEY and Dorothy ARNOLD; January 15th 1767, David BAILEY and Jemima DANIELS; August 20th 1775, David BAILEY and Dorothy FOX; November 4th 1779, Jonathan BAILEY and Olive WELTON; December 11th 1781, James BAILEY and Abigail HALING; November 5th 1784, Joshua BAILEY jr., and Ruth SEARS.
William BARTON, son of William BARTON of the society of Wintonbury, a parish formed from the towns of Windsor, Farmington, and Simsbury, now the town of Bloomfield, was born November 26th 1762. He labored with his father, whose name he bore, and who was armorer at Springfield in the Revolutionary war. At the close of the war he returned to Wintonbury and manufactured pistols and other warlike implements until 1790, when he went to New York and engaged in the manufacture of andirons and other articles of brass. From that city he came to East Hampton in the spring of 1808, and commenced the manufacture of hand and sleigh bells. He was the first to manufacture round sleigh bells of a solid pattern, as prior to this time they had been cast in two parts and soldered together. Being liberal-minded himself he delighted in benefiting others, and the community began to flourish around him. In May 1826, he removed to Cairo, N. Y., where he exerted a happy influence, but after 20 years returned to East Hampton to spend the remainder of his days with his friends and children. He died July 15th 1849, universally respected and lamented. His wife, Clarissa, did October 4th 1858, aged 91. Their children were: Nancy, married, first, Vine STARR, second, Walter SEXTON; Clarissa, married Cyrus BRAINERD and removed to Kankakee, Illinois; Hubbard, Hiram, Almira, Julia, Philura, and Jason.
Hubbard, son of William BARTON, carried on the manufacture of bells for some time, succeeding his father in the business, but during the latter part of his life worked a small farm situated west of the Union Congregational Church in East Hampton. He married, December 6th 1821, Deborah G., daughter of Deacon David CLARK, and by her had twelve children, six sons and six daughters. He died April 10th 1860. Three of his sons served in the Union Army during the Rebellion, one of whom, Jason H., enlisted in October 1861, in Co. K, 11th Regiment, C. V., was wounded at the battle of Antietam, September 18th 1862, re-enlisted January 1864, wounded in front of Petersburgh, Virginia, June 19th and died at Fort Schuyler, New York, August 8th 1864, aged 25 years.
Hiram, son of William BARTON, also carried on the business of bell making in a shop near his later residence on Barton Hill, and afterward in the factory on the road leading west from the Centre school house in East Hampton, where his son, William E. BARTON, carried on the same business until the factory was destroyed by fire in 1874. Hiram married, September 11th 1825, Lois L., daughter of John Watrous, and by her had four children, three sons and one daughter. He was a veteran drummer, and as long as he was able enjoyed nothing so well as to indulge in his favorite pastime. He died October 22d 1878, aged 80 years. His oldest son, William E., succeeded to his business some time before his death, and after the destruction of the factory purchased the buildings of the Union Bell company, situated on the same highway, a few rods further west. In 1881, the buildings, stock, and appurtenances were purchased by "The BARTON Bell Company," who now carry on the business. This is the oldest establishment of the kind in the United States, and sleigh bells made from the first patterns of William BARTON, the inventor, and the improved styles made since by son and grandson are shown here by the great grandson who manages the business of the company.
Jason, son of William BARTON, carried on the bell business in Middle Haddam for a time in partnership with A. B. BAILEY and George S. HUBBARD, under the firm name of BARTON, BAILEY & HUBBARD. He was ingenious and invented the method of polishing the common bells by rolling in barrels made of that purpose. He also patented a door bell and a call bell, and after the business was abandoned in Middle Haddam manufactured the latter in the factory of his nephew, William E., in East Hampton. He was an abolitionist of the William L. GARRISON school, but died May 4th 1862, before seeing the emancipation of the slaves, an event which he so devoutly wished.
John W. BARTON, son of Hiram, worked for his father and brother in the bell factory for some time, and in connection with Alfred B. WHITE purchased the patent door bell of Jason BARTON, and manufactured the same for some time in the shop now occupied by the Gong Bell Manufacturing Company, until ill health compelled him to abandon the enterprise, when he sold out his interest to Hiram VEAZEY and purchased of Leroy D. F. GATES an interest in the grocery business, in a store in Moodus, to which he attended as health would permit, up to the time of his death, which occurred October 9th 1867, at the early age of 32.
John BEVIN jr., and William BEVIN, from what is now the town of Portland, were early settlers of the parish of East Hampton, locating on what is now known as BEVIN Hill. They were undoubtedly sons of John BEVIN, who was a son of Arthur BEVIN, who resided in Glastonbury some time before that town was incorporated (1692), but was not a land holder until 1696. John BEVIN r. married Mary BAILEY, September 10th 1724, and had seven children: Elisabeth, John, Daniel, Susanna, Mary, Noadiah, and Hannah. His wife died September 17th 1743, in the 37th year of her age, and was the first person buried in the cemetery near the lake.
William BEVIN married Sarah PARKE, December 20th 1739, and the following children are recorded to them in the Middletown records: Timothy, born February 1st 1741, died March 19th 1741; William, born April 29th 1742, was a school teacher; Desire, born Marcy 16th 1744, died March 30th 1744; Isaac, born January 12th 1746; and Lydia, born January 14th 1748-9. He has a second wife, Mary, who died July 5th 1788. He died December 11th 1793, aged 83.
Isaac, son of William BEVIN, married Sarah CLARK, and the following children of theirs were baptized by the Rev. Lemuel Parsons: Lucy, October 29th 1780, married Edmund WEST; Marcy, May 4th 1783, married Nathan CHAMPION, Stephen, March 16th 1786, married Mary BROWN; Abner, September 12th 1788, died 1801. Three others were born before the death of Rev. John NORTON: Isaac, 1774; Sarah, who married John WATROUS; and Lydia, who married Cyprian HINCKLEY.
Isaac BEVIN, born 1774, married, November 13th 1800, Anna, daughter of Abraham and Rebecca AVERY, of Glastonbury, and was a farmer living on BEVIN Hill, where he died May 8th 1870, aged 96 years. His wife died June 19th 1861, aged 71. Their children were: Pamelia, who married Oramel CLARK; William, born January 17th 1804; Chauncey, born July 7th 1806; Isaac Avery; Abner Griswold; Philo, born August 12th 1813; Alice Stevens, married Constant WELSH; Adeline, married S. B. CHILDS; and Belinda, who married Hiram VEAZEY. William BEVIN commenced the manufacture of bells in 1824, in connection with his bother Chauncey, under the firm name of BEVIN Brothers. Subsequently they admitted Abner G. BEVIN as a partner, and later their brother Philo. The firm name was retained until 1868, when they formed a joint stock company under the law of Connecticut, taking the name of BEVIN Brothers Manufacturing Company. William died in 1858, and the firm now consists of Chauncey (died August 1884), Abner G., and Philo.
James BILL, son of Lieut. James, and Kesiah (FRENCH) BILL, was born in Lebanon, February 20th 1736. He married, July 13th 1758, Asenath, daughter of the Rev. John NORTON, and settled on land given him by his father, northwest of Pocotopaug Lake. He was justice of the peace for a considerable length of time, and during the Revolution served on the committee of inspection. He represented Chatham in the General Assembly for several sessions. He was deacon of the East Hampton church from February 5th 1795, until his death, which occurred July 25th 1823. His wife died January 2d 1810, and he married, September 19th 1818, Phœbe PELTON. His children were all by his first wife, and were: Asenath, born November 18th 1759, married her cousin, Jonathan BILL, of Lebanon, a soldier in the war of the Revolution, who was at the battle of Bunker Hill, with Arnold in that remarkable expedition to Quebec, and also suffered the hardships of Valley forge; Lucy, born December 31st 1761, married Apollas ARNOLD; James, born February 4th 1764, married, August 31st 1783, Hannah GOODRICH, and removed to the State of New York, and at one time represented Albany in the State Legislature; was afterwards county clerk of Greene county, and again appears as judge in Oswego county; Elvira, born February 4th 1764, married Eleazer SKINNER; Erastus, born July 6th 1768, married, November 27th 1788, Sarah HALL, and lived in Southwick, Mass.; Norton, born July 14th 1770, studied medicine with Dr. John RICHMOND, and was a physician of great promise (He married, May 1st 1791, Sally, daughter of Joseph BUELL. She died April 17th 1794, aged 20 years and 8 months, and he died January 6th 1798, aged 27, leaving two children); Clarissa, born August 18th 1772, married her cousin, Oliver BILL, and removed to Steuben, New York; Achsah, born November 1st 1774, died July 8th 1775; Amos, born June 9th 1779; and Abner, born August 11th 1781.
Cyrus BILL, son of Oliver and Martha (SKINNER) BILL, was born in Lebanon, October 17th 1772. He married Eunice TAINTOR, of Colchester, December 19th 1799. He resided in Middle Haddam, and was a merchant there until 1815, when he removed to Brooklyn, N. Y., where, up to 1845, he engaged in the dry goods trade. He was justice of the peace while he resided in Chatham. He died in 1852, and was buried in Greenwood Cemetery. His son, Charles Edward, born in 1803, was said to be the wealthiest member of the BILL family in America.
Edward BILL, one of the petitioners for the incorporation of Middle Haddam Parish, was the son of Joshua and Joanna (POTTS) BILL, of Groton. He married Zerviah ---- and settled first in Colchester, about 1732. The names of his children that have been recovered are: Jonathan, born in Colchester, May 5th 1733, married and lived in Chatham, and Benajah, Sibil, and Elisha, baptized between 1743 and 1748, by Rev. Benjamin BOWERS.
William BOLLES, of Marlborough, married Ruby STRONG, and resided in what is known as Young Street, where he died February 10th 1825, aged 76, and she, March 4th 1828, aged 74. Their children were: William, who died in Marlborough, aged 21 years; Roswell; Guy, who was a sea captain; Elias; Alexander, who married Azubuh YOUNG; Epaphras; Edmund, who married Tabitha GRIFFITH, and whose sons, Stephen, Guy, Charles, and Norman P. were masters of vessels sailing out of New York (He also had a son William, who followed the sea); Solomon Justus, who married Lydia MORGAN, and resided on the old homestead; Joanna, who died, unmarried, in 1838; Ruby, who married John Markham jr.; and Lydia, who married Horace BROWN.
Dr. Jeremiah BRADFORD was the son of Gershom and Pricilla (WISHALL) BRADFORD, first of Kingston, Massachusetts, and then of Bristol, Rhode Island, grandson of Samuel and Hannah (ROGERS) BRADFORD, of Duxbury, Massachusetts, and a descendant of Gov. William BRADFORD, of Plymouth colony. He settled in Middle Haddam, and married Rebecca DART, June 3d 1756. He is said to have been an able practitioner and a man of good sense. He died in 1814, at the age of 80. His children were: Vienna, who married George TALCOTT; Jeremiah jr., baptized October 29th 1758, graduated from Yale in 1779, studied medicine, but never practiced as a physician, married Mary SMITH in 1782, and about the year 1806, removed to Berlin, Vermont, where he died December 25th 1835; William, baptized 1760; and Joel, baptized 1764, married Sarah Stocking.
Othniel BRAINERD, son of Abijah, of Haddam, born June 5th 1728, married Lucy SWADDLE, May 10th 1750, and resided in Middle Haddam Society for a time, and finally removed to East Hampton, where he died, December 10th 1816. His wife died in 1763, and he married Jerusha, widow of Samuel KILBOURN, who died August 10th 1806. His children by his first wife were: Lucy, who married Isaac BROWN; Lois, who married John JOHNSON; Othniel jr., Azuba, Esther, and Seba. By his second wife: Ansel, Abigail, and Oliver. Oliver married in 1793, Lucy ROGERS, and after her death, Anna, daughter of Adonijah STRONG. He resided north of the lake, in the house now occupied by William GROVER, and had nine children: Aristobulas; Jerusha, who married William UTLEY; Lucy, who married Erastus BUCK; Adonijah S; Ursula, married John G. HINCKLEY; Betsey, married Warren VEAZEY; Mary, married Francis GILBERT; Elizabeth, married Marvin T. NASH; and Amanda, who married Nathan LEVEE.
Othniel BRAINERD jr., married Grace STOCKING in 1782. He served seven years in the war of the Revolution, and about two years before it closed received an orderly sergeant's warrant. He died in Madison county, New York, May 27th 1832.
James BRAINERD jr., son of James, of Haddam, married, July 10th 1744, Rebecca, daughter of Jacob HURD. He died in 1749, before the birth of his youngest child, Ichabod, who was born August 19th of that year. His other children were Abigail and James. James married Mercy STOCKING, October 29th 1771, and died May 2d 1797. Their children were: Jared, who married Henrietta SMITH, Mercy, Lucy, who married Jeremiah TAYLOR; Parsons, James, George, Russell, and Abigail.
Joshua BRAINERD, born May 20th 1707, son of Caleb BRAINERD of Haddam, settled in the east part of Middle Haddam, and was released from paying taxes for the support of that society in 1748, and allowed to pay his rate to East Haddam. He was married three times, and by his first wife had a son Abner, who was born May 1st 1731, and lived in Chatham. Abner married, first, December 29th 1756, Elizabeth CHAMPION, of East Haddam, who died in 1758, and in 1761 he married Elizabeth BURR. His children were Elizabeth, Joshua, Abner, Caleb, Dorothy, Seymour, Gurdon, Jeremiah, Mary, and Jared Warren. Joshua married Hannah FOSTER and was the father of Julius BRAINERD, who lived in the Tarsia District, near the school house. Jeremiah married Elizabeth GREEN, and settled in Rome, N. Y., and was a man famous for his ingenuity and firmness of character. He was a contractor on the great Erie Canal and built the first weigh lock and the first canal barrow in its present shape that was ever made. His inventions were numerous and useful.
Ozias BRAINERD, son of Jedediah BRAINERD of Haddam, and Nathan BRAINERD, son of Nathan and Sarah (GATES) BRAINERD of the same place, resided in the Young Street District and had large families. Nathan married, for his first wife, Content Hannah, youngest daughter of Benjamin SMITH. After he death he married Lydia, widow of Jabez BROOKS, and youngest daughter of the Rev. Benjamin BOWERS. He died April 29th 1809, and is buried in the Young Street Cemetery. Other families of the name have resided in different parts of the town, all of them descending from Daniel, one of the first proprietors and settlers of Haddam.
Samuel BROWN, whose parentage has not bee ascertained, married, April 27th 1857, Elizabeth, daughter of Stephen BRAINERD, and resided in the east part of East Hampton parish, not far from the Colchester line, near the Lyman Viaduct. He died January 11th 1795, aged 65 years. Their children were: Elizabeth, Samuel, Susannah, Mary, Enos, and Abner. Samuel BROWN jr. married, first, Mary KELLOGG, by whom he had four children, Clarissa, Cyrus, Polly, and Samuel. His wife dying, he married Sibil, widow of Loren COWDREY, and by her he had two children, William A. and Arminda. He served in the war of the Revolution, and resided in the East School District, in the house now owned by James Daley.
Captain Enos BROWN, born March 26th 1769, married, June 1st 1796, Anna Williams, and resided on the homestead of his father. His children were Horace, Halsey, Nancy, and Eliza. Horace BROWN, son of Enos, married and resided on the old homestead, and was a prominent member of the Protestant Methodist Episcopal Church, and a local preacher of that denomination. His oldest son, William Bolles BROWN, removed to Iowa, and was quite prominent as a local preacher of the Methodist denomination in that State. He died a few years since, in Waverly , Iowa.
The ancestors of Lyman BROWN are of French descent, and the emigrant is said to have been the head of one of the "wealthy Acadian families" whose property was confiscated in the time of the French war. He came to Norwich with his family, which consisted of two sons, but with one of them subsequently returned to Nova Scotia.
Rev. Thomas G. BROWN, a native of Corinth, Vt., and for many years circuit preacher and minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, resides in East Hampton on Miller's Hill, and has passed his 85th year. He enlisted in the war of 1812, but saw no active service. At 63 years of age he enlisted as chaplain of the 21st Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, and, at the battle of Drury's Bluff, was wounded by a shell, while praying at the front for dying soldiers. On "Battle Flag Day," September 17th 1879, he marched the entire distance from the arsenal in Hartford over the route of the procession. He married, May 21st 1829, Caroline Maria, daughter of Amasa DANIELS. Their children are: Henry B., born in 1833, was an assistant paymaster in the navy during the Rebellion, and after the war closed commenced the manufacture of bolt cutting machinery in New Haven, but in 1876 removed to East Hampton and locate don the site of Abell's Mills, where he now carries on the business (He has also been a successful newspaper reporter, and been prominently connected with the cause of temperance and a leader in the Christian Advent church in East Hampton of which he was a founder); Delos D., born in 1838, enlisted in Co. H, 21st Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, and was commissioned first lieutenant in 1862, and afterward promoted to the rank of captain of Co. F of the same regiment, and participated in nearly all the actions in which the regiment was engaged (He was for a time engaged in the manufacture of wrought iron cow bells in company with D. W. SEXTON and Warren VEAZEY, under the firm name of SEXTON, VEAZEY & BROWN. He was also engaged for a while in Norwich in mercantile business. Since April 1st 1884, he has held the office of county commissioner); Caroline, married Lieut. Fred W. H. BUELL, who died in the service of his country, in 1855 (She is not the very efficient corresponding secretary of the "Women's Christian Temperance Union," which has its central office in New York city); and Eben Plummer, youngest child, who served as a paymaster clerk in the navy, and died in 1868, at the age of 27. Other families of the name have resided at different times in various localities in the town.
Captain Joseph BUELL, son of Timothy BUELL, was born in Marlborough, May 29th 1749. He married, in 1772, Hope LOVELAND, and in 1775 removed to Glastonbury, and in 1780 to Colebrook. About 1791, he removed to East Hampton, when he purchased one fourth part of the iron works, which he sold in 1798, and removed to Westchester, where he died July 24th 1828. His children were: Sally, born August 26th 1773, married Norton BILL; Joseph, born July 14th 1775, married Mercy CARRIER and settled in Westchester; and David, born January 10th 1778. David was a merchant in East Hampton, a captain in the militia there, and held the office of postmaster from 1821 to 1845. He married Lucy, daughter of Deacon Gideon ARNOLD, in 1803, and had six children: Charles A.; Maria, who married Harry CLARK; Tilson Aldridge; Caroline M., who married Nehemiah TRACY; William G.; and Sarah E., who married Rufus BENSON of Millville, Mass. He died April 5th 1858. Charles A. was for a number of years a merchant in Middle Haddam and afterward engaged in the bell business sin East Hampton with J. N. GOFF and Amiel ABELL, under the firm name of GOFF, ABELL & BUELL. In company with Hiram VEAZEY, he purchased the interest of his partners, and carried on the business under the firm name of BUELL & VEAZEY, afterward selling out to his partner. He followed farming until 1872, when he was employed as a station agent for the Air Line Railroad. He resigned a year or two since and resides on his farm. He has represented the town in the General Assembly and the old 18th Senatorial District in the State Senate. William G. BUELL resides on the old Homestead, where he has kept a public house for a number of years. He has been postmaster, representative, and a member of the State Senate. In his hotel office is a large collection of relics of the aboriginal inhabitants of the vicinity and many curiosities. The emigrant ancestor of this family was William BUELL, of Chesterton, England, who settled in Dorchester, Mass., in 1630, and removed to Windsor, Conn., in 1635, where he died in 1681.
Chauncey BULKLEY was a merchant, and for a long time held the office of justice of the peace in the town. He was very wealthy and lent considerable money to the town in the time of the Revolution, as appears by the books of the treasurer. October 23d 1774, he was married to Sarah, widow of Nathaniel DOANE, and daughter of Jonathan PARMELEE; she died in 1792, and he married Mary, widow of Joseph HURD and daughter of the Rev. Benjamin BOWERS. By her he had a son, Chauncey BOWERS, who married Lovina STRONG. Esquire BULKLEY died May 10th 1818, aged 75 years.
Jonathan BARR was one of the early settlers in Middle Haddam Parish, locating south of the Hog Hill Cemetery. He was a descendant of Benjamin BURR, one of the early settlers and proprietors of Hartford in 1635. He married Abigail HUBBARD, of Middletown, and had the following children: Mary, Ebenezer, Jonathan, Nathaniel, Elizabeth, Abigail, Thankful, and Hannah. He died January 1st 1735. Ebenezer, Jonathan, and Nathaniel, above mentioned, were petitioners for the incorporation of the society in 1738. Ebenezer died in 1743. Jonathan married, October 30th 1730, Elizabeth BELDEN, of Wethersfield, and had Jonathan, Elizabeth, Mary, Abigail, Ebenezer, and Experience, born between 1741 and 1752. Nathaniel removed to Haddam and died in 1802.
Joseph CAREY, probably son of Joseph and Abigail (BUSHNELL) CAREY, of that part of the town of Windham which is now Scotland, and a descendant of John CAREY who came from Somersetshire, England, and settled in Duxbury, Mass., in 1637, at the age of 25, married Abigail Bigelow, October 24th 1739, and settled in Middle Haddam. Their children were: Josiah, born July 9th 1740; Edward, baptized April 24th 1743; Prosper, 1745, married Elizabeth PARKER; George, 1747, married Rachel HURD; Waitstill, 1749, married Editha BIGELOW; Joseph 1752, married Rebecca HURD; Nancy, 1754; James, 1758; Abigail, 1759, died young; Abigail, 1762, married Jacob HURD; Mary, 1764, married Benjamin HURD; and Samuel 1768. Joseph CAREY, jr., was master of a vessel which was captured in May 1780, by a British privateer, and, the capturers being pursued, they applied a pressure of sail that carried the ship and all on board to the bottom of the ocean. He had two children: Halsey who, being quartermaster of the Chesapeake, died off Algiers in 1814; and Phœbe.
James CHILD removed from Warren, R. I., to Haddam about the year 1762, and married a Miss KELLY. His children were: James Kelly, born August 30th 1763; Thomas, born April 18th 1765; John, born March 18th 1770; Samuel, born Sept. 6th 1779; Gardner, born June 6th 1781; and Heman, born June 12th 1784. Thomas was a ship builder, and worked, it is thought, in Haddam some time before engaging in the business at Middle Haddam. He was the master builder of 237 vessels, most of which were built in this place. He married Hannah TRYON, January 19th 1786. He died April 25th 1856, in the 91st year of his age.
David TRYON, son of Thomas, was a merchant in Middle Haddam, occupying a building near the present store of John CARRIER. He died March 24th 1851.
John CLARK, of Middletown, North Parish, was an early, if not the earliest settler in East Hampton. He was born in Middletown, June 14th 1678, and was a son of Sergeant John and Elizabeth (WHITE) CLARK, and grandson of William CLARK, one of the first settlers and proprietors of Haddam. He owned a large tract of land on the west side of the lake, and about the year 1737 built a house on CLARK's Hill, where he resided until his death, which occurred in 1771, when he was 92 years of age. He married, May 9th 1710, Sarah GOODWIN, daughter of William GOODWIN, and great grandchild of Ozias GOODWIN, who was one of the first settlers of Hartford, and a prominent man among them. He was thrifty and prosperous, and amassed a large amount of property during his lifetime. His wife, Sarah, died October 19th 1781, aged 99 years. Their children were: Ebenezer, born July 12th 1711; William, born August 31st 1713; John, born December 9th 1715; Moses, born March 25th 1718; Aaron, born March 2d 1720-21; and Sarah, born August 4th 1723, married Ebenezer HURLBUT jr.
Ebenezer CLARK, oldest son of John, Married, June 21st 1733, Abigail, the daughter of Joseph (sen.) and Hannah WHITMORE, of Middletown. His wife died April 9th 1738, aged 26 years, and he married, September 20th 1739, Anna WARNER. He removed to East Hampton with his father and became quite a prominent citizen there, was a captain in the militia, and one of the first deacons of the church. About 1756, he removed to Judea Parish, now the town of Washington, but at that time a part of Woodbury, Litchfield county, Conn., and there remained until his death, April 5th 1800, at the age of 89. His gravestone, now standing in the Washington Cemetery, states that he was deacon of the church at Washington 44 years. His wife, Ann, died March 3d 1795, aged 79. His children by his first wife were: Abigail, born April 1st 1734; Jedediah, born January 16th 1736; by his second wife: Tabitha, born June 18th 1740; married Dr. John CALHOUN, of Washington, and died November 23d 1796; Ebenezer, born February 28th 1742; Ann, born March 1st 1744; Rebecca, born December 28th 1745, died November 11th 1755, and was buried n the Lake Cemetery; Susannah, born April 23d 1748; Joseph, born May 30th 1750; Jerusha, born April 24th 1752; Sarah, born March 3d 1755, died June 30th 1776; Moses, born March 4th 1751, died same day.
William CLARK, second son of John, married Mary WRIGHT, February 7th 1744. His residence was near his father's, where William F. CLARK now resides. He died, at the age of 99, September 26th 1812, from the effect of a fall and old age. His wife died February 16th 1797, aged nearly 77 years. Their children were: Mary, born December 8th 1744, died July 24th 1749; Elizabeth, born July 17th 1750; Stephen, born June 23d 1754; Mary born June 22d 1756; Samuel, born July 27th 1758; Lucy, born October 2d 1761.
Stephen CLARK, son of William, married, February 28th 1782, Prudence HALE. He served as a soldier during the greater part of the Revolution. After the war he married and settled on the old homestead of his father. He died October 3d 1852, aged 98. His wife died February 16th 1840, aged 82 years, 6 months and 14 days. He had at the time of his death seen seven generations of the family, and had great-great grandchildren living. His children were: William, born July 3d 1783; Rhoda, born March 10th 1785, married, December 11th 1805, Timothy ABBE, of Enfield, and was the mother of Horatio H. ABBE, of the Gong Bell Manufacturing Company; Amy, died young; Amy; and Horace.
John CLARK, jr., third son of John, married Sarah WHITE February 1st 1744. He lived on the homestead of his father, and kept an ordinary or public house on the old bridle path from Providence to Middletown. The sign is still in existence, being in possession of Stewart D. PARMELEE. He was chosen deacon of the church, to fill the vacancy caused by the removal of his brother Ebenezer from the parish, and was quite prominently connected with building the first meeting house. He died August 8th 1809, aged 94 years. Sarah, his wife, died June 26th 1780, aged 56. Their children were: John, born March 15th 1745; Mehitable, born November 14th 1746, died November 1st 1747; Sarah, born February 20th 1747-8; Mehitable, born April 8th 1750; Daniel, born October 13th 1752, a Revolutionary soldier; Esther, born October 2d 1754; Elijah, born November 1st 1756, died in the army in 1777; Desire, born June 12th 1759, died same day; David, born May 23d 1760; Lydia, born April 13th 1763; Moses, born November 23d 1766.
David CLARK, son of Deacon John, lived on the homestead. He married, first, Jerusha, daughter of Captain Abijah HALL, September 19th 1782. She died August 24th 1800, and he married, November 15th 1801, Eunice GRIFFITH. She dying July 27th 1811, he married Mehitable HUBBARD, sister of the wife of his oldest son. He kept the public house after the death of his father, was chosen deacon of the church July 11th 1816, was for many years justice of the peace, and was quite prominently connected with the affairs of the society and town. He was the first worshipful master of Warren Lodge, No. 51, F. & A. M., and was highly esteemed in the community. He died January 8th 1839, aged 79 years. His widow died November 26th 1854, aged 72. He had two sons by his first wife, Elijah and Chauncey.
Jesse, son of Robert CLARK, of Haddam Neck, married, February 1st 1798, Eunice BROOKS and settled in the northern pat of Tarsia District, where he died April 13th 1826. For many years he was sexton of the Tarsia Cemetery. His sons, Jonathan B. and Walter H., were wheelwrights and carried on business in a shop still standing, though in a dilapidated condition, on Flat Brook, a few rods south of the Rapallo Viaduct. They made a specialty of manufacturing ox yokes, disposing of them to the quarry companies of Portland, Haddam, and Niantic.
Jonathan CLARK jr., is a descendant of John CLARK, one of the early settlers of East Haddam, married Zilpah BRAINERD, and settled in the Young Street District. His children were Timothy, Elijah, Lydia, Zilpah, Eunice, Thankful, and Betsey. Timothy served in the Revolution and died from the effects of a wound received in an engagement toward the close of the war. Elijah, born June 4th 1762, married, April 15th 1787, Mercy DOANE, and died March 10th 1831, leaving two sons, Elijah and Harry, and several daughters.
Elijah CLARK 2d, son of Elijah, carried on the business of farming and lumbering in company with Ambrose N. MARKHAM, furnishing large quantities of lumber to shipyards on the river and on Long Island. He died in Windsor, November 22d 1879, leaving two children: Henry W., a merchant in Hartford; and Mary Ann, wife of Capt. N. C. JOHNSON.
Henry CLARK married Maria, daughter of Capt. David BUELL, and lived on the road leading south over Hog Hill and near the old toll-gate. His children were: David B., who carried on the butchering business until his death in 1868; Henry Glover, the merchant in East Hampton; Elijah P. and Rufus B., commercial travelers; Leverett D., of New London; Frank A., who resides on the homestead; and two daughters, Mary S. and Emma M.
Jabez CLARK, a descendant of William CLARK, of Haddam, married, August 5th 1742, Sarah JUDD, and settled about that time on CLARK's Hill, where he died April 25th 1765, aged 48 years. His children were: Nathaniel, born August 7th 1743; Ede, born August 29th 1745, married John Norton jr., and Deacon Moses COOK; Jabez, born August 25th 1747; Hannah, born January 1st 1749-50, married John Johnson; Sarah, born March 25th 1752, married Isaac BEVIN; Amos, born October 12th 1754; Abner, born October 12th 1754, and died in a prison ship in New York during the Revolution; Mercy, who married Joel WOOD; and two sons by the name of Timothy, that died young. Nathaniel married, first, Elizabeth, daughter of the Rev. John NORTON; she died May 17th 1770, leaving a daughter, Eunice, who married Sparrow SMITH. He married, second, Dorothy HALE, who died March 11th 1838, aged 87. He died January 13th 1814, aged 70. Jabez married, first, Lydia, daughter of Abijah HALL, and after her death, he married Ruth HINCKLEY, February 27th 1788. He died December 25th 1837, in the 91st year of his age. His children by his second wife were: Ira, who married Sarah EDDY; Jabez who married Ann WARNER; Timothy, married Sophia SMITH; Lydia, married Moses WEST; David, married Polly GATES; Orimel, married Pamelia BEVIN; and Hiram, who married Achsa ARNOLD. Amos served in the army during the Revolution, and his gravestone says he was esteemed for his patriotism and piety. He married, July 12th 1781, Anna, daughter of Ebenezer SEARS, and died March 20th 1843. His wife died July 8th 1835. Their children were: Anna, who died young; Philena, who married Nathan HARDING jr.; Anna, who married Lazarus WATROUS; Abner NELSON, a physician at Fredonia New York; Sarah, who married Ephraim MEECH; and Amos, born December 2d 1794, married, September 18th 1816, Betsey M. S. SMITH, both of whom are now living on MILLER's Hill in East Hampton. Their family consisted of nine children, seven of whom survive.
Ebenezer COLE and wife, Elizabeth, with their children, Marcus, Ebenezer, Elizabeth, and Jerusha, emigrated from that part of Eastham, Mass., that is now Orleans, and bought for £900 three lots, with house and barn, May 13th 1748. He died early in 1752, as September 13th of that year his property, inventories at £3,337, was divided among his heirs. His widow died February 19th 1794, aged 85. Marcus married Phœbe SCOVILLE, and lived on the right hand side of the road, below the Jared JOHNSON place. He served in the French and Indian wars, and was ensign and lieutenant in the Continental army during the Revolution. He died February 7th 1811, aged 77 years, the immediate cause of his death being a cancer caused by the accidental discharge of a pop-gun, which made a slight sore on his face that never healed. His widow died October 23d 1823, aged 87. Their children were: Abner, born 1754, married Lydia FREEMAN in 1785; Hendrick, who married Phœbe GRIFFITH; Marcus, who married Sally WHITE; Phœbe, who married Thomas ACKLEY; Reliance, who married Joseph KNOWLTON; Chloe, who married Philip GOFF; Rebecca, who married Isaac JOHNSON; and Mary, who married Benjamin LEONARD. Abner COLE was an ensign in the Continental army at the age of 21, serving during the war. Edwin H. COLE, a graduate of Wesleyan, 1850, and Charles J. COLE, attorney in Hartford, are his grandsons.
Christopher COMSTOCK, as descendant of William COMSTOCK, who removed from Hartford to New London in 1649, married Anna WILLEY, and removed from Hadlyme to Chatham and settled on Salmon River near the Colchester line. He had two children, Jabez and Richardson. He died October 30th 1808, aged 82 years. Richardson died at sea and left no family. Jabez married Almy GREENE, of Warwick, R. I., and had two children: Lucina S., who married Dr. Sylvester KNIGHT, of Centreville, R. I., and died there December 2d 1819, leaving two children, Nehemiah KNIGHT, who died in Brooklyn, N. Y., and Jabez C. KNIGHT, who lived in Providence and has been mayor of that city; and Franklin G., who married Tryphena, daughter of Gamaliel R. TRACY, and died August 6th 1845. Franklin G. removed to East Hampton in 1820 after which his time was mostly occupied in public business. He was at the same time and for a number of years an associate judge of the County Court, and judge of Probate for the district of Chatham, and the author of "Comstock's Digest of Probate Laws," published in 1832. He was the first postmaster in Westchester and also in East Hampton. He was one of the first in starting the temperance movement, and during life was active and prominent in its furtherance. In 1833 he removed to Hartford and as editor of the New England Review, was conspicuous as a Whig in the HARRISON campaign. As secretary of the Hartford County Silk Society, he published the "Silk Culturist," which was largely instrumental in originating the silk manufacture which is now such an important interest in this country. In 1836, he removed to Wethersfield and engaged in the seed growing business until his death. He was a ready writer and speaker, genial and affable in all his vocations.
Nathaniel CONE, of Millington Parish, married Margery SEXTON, in 1779, and settled in the place now occupied by his grandson, F. V. E. CONE. He served in the army of the Revolution. His son, Capt. Nathaniel G., occupied the homestead until his death in 1870. Ezra G. CONE of the Gong Bell Manufacturing Company, is a son of Nathaniel G.
Josiah COOK and Hannah, his wife, united with the church in Middle Haddam, October 4th 1741, and had four children, Elizabeth, Josiah, Elijah, and Joshua, baptized at the same time. Their children born after this were, Moses, Mercy, Hannah, Rhoda, and Richard. But little is known of this large family. They probably emigrated from some part of Barnstable county, Mass. Moses and Richard COOK lived in East Hampton, and owned a grist mill which stood on the site of the East Hampton Bell Company's factory. Moses was a deacon of the church there, and his descendants in the female line are quite numerous in that locality. Jonathan COOK had children baptized there between 1752 and 1759, and Zacheus COOK in 1758.
Elisha CORNWALL married Ann JOHNSON in 1745, and was a prominent citizen in East Hampton Parish and in the town after its incorporation, in 1767. He died February 17th 1782.
Constance F. DANIELS, of Waterford, practiced law in Middle Haddam about three years, between 1822 and 1825, and removed to New London, where he died a few years ago.
Lemuel, son of Jonathan DANIELS, of Colchester, and a descendant of John DANIELS, an early settler of New London, married Hannah FULLER, September 10th 1738, and settled on the Young Street road, near Haddam line, and was a constituent member of the church in Middle Haddam. His wife died May 19th 1753, and he married, October 15th 1754, Mary ROWLEY. His children were Lemuel, Hannah (who died young), Asa, Amasa, Hannah, and Tabitha. His son, Amasa, married Hannah CLARK in 1773, by whom he had nine children, one of whom, Amasa jr., was a justice of the peace for many years.
Ebenezer DART, a descendant of Richard DART, of New London, settled in Middle Haddam before the society was incorporated. His wife's maiden name was Ruth LOOMIS. Their children, recorded on the town records, were Joseph, Ebenezer, and Abia. Joseph married Abigail BRAINERD and had Cyrus, Hannah, Drusilla, Joseph, Clarissa, and Florilla. Joseph Dart jr. married Sarah HURD and was for many years a justice of the peace, residing until his death in 1862, at the age of 92, in Middle Haddam. He was the father of fourteen children, the oldest of whom, Ashbel, graduated at Yale in 1816, studied for a physician in Middletown and New Haven, and practiced for many years in Ohio, where he died in 1844, aged 51, it being the first death in the family of 16 members.
Joseph DOANE jr., a descendant of John DOANE, who came to Plymouth, Mass., in the ship Fortune, in 1721, settled early in Middle Haddam, and engaged in ship building. He married Deborah PADDOCK, September 30th 1725, and had, among other children, Joseph, Nathaniel, Seth, Eunice, and Phineas. Seth married Mercy PARKER, was made of a vessel, and, with his oldest son, Seth jr., was captured by the British during the Revolutionary war and held as prisoner for some time. The son died soon after reaching home, of sickness due to his captivity. He and his wife both died in 1802. Descendants of this family are quite numerous in Ohio.
Capt. Silas DUNHAM, from Westchester, whose parentage is unknown, lived near the present residence of H. S. GATES, and manufactured potash in a building that stood near the meadow and brook that bears the name of Potash Brook. At the time of the Lexington alarm he marched, with his company of 36 men, to the relief of Boston. His wife, Deborah, died July 21st 1780, and he married Sarah, widow of James JOHNSON jr., and daughter of Deacon John CLARK. In 1799, he is named as living in Claverack, N. Y. The widow, Rebecca DUNHAM, who died February 12th 1783, aged 99 years and 8 months, was probably his mother.
John EDDY, an early settler in the east part of Middle Haddam Parish, came into the town from Colchester, but was a native of Norton, Mass., and a son of Eleazer EDDY, of that place, then a part of Taunton. His emigrant ancestor was Samuel EDDY, who came to Plymouth Colony in October 1630, in the ship Handmaid. He was a son of the Rev. William EDDY A. M., Vicar of Canbrook, County of Kent, in England, of St. Dunstan's Church from 1589 to 1616. John, the settler, died in 1789, aged 88, and is buried in the Young Street Cemetery. The name of his first wife has not been ascertained, but for his second wife he married Phœbe, widow of Captain Stephen GRIFFITH. John EDDY jr., married, October 25th 1750, Elizabeth BRAINERD, and died August 20th 1820, aged 94. She died January 16th 1813, aged 80. Their son, John, baptized 1755, married Anna CLARK, and died October 2d 1832. Their children were: Sally, born 1792, married Ira CLARK; Charity, born December 20th 1794, married Augustus ADAMS; and Festus, born September 27th 1798, died January 11th 1822. Mr. ADAMS, who married Charity EDDY, was a native of Westchester, and a lineal descendant of George ADAMS, of Watertown, Mass., 1645, through his son John, one of the original grantees of Colchester, in 1703. The descendants of Mr. ADAMS are the only representatives of the EDDY family now residing in town.
Samuel EGGLESTON, one of the petitioners for the incorporation of East Hampton Parish, was a descendant of Begat EGGLESTON, an early settler of Windsor, Conn. He married Abigail BEVIN, November 2d 1729, and had ten children. His descendants removed to the State of New York.
Nathaniel FREEMAN, from some part of Cape Cod, settled in Middle Haddam Society about the year 1742. He was a mariner, and married, in 1739, Martha DUNHAM, by whom he had the following children: Sylvanus, Martha, Priscilla, Lydia (who died young), Hatfield (who died November 1st 1774, aged 25 years), Nathaniel (a physician, who died in 1799), Samuel Brown Prince, Lydia, and Mehitabel.
Sylvanus FREEMAN, son of Nathaniel, married, October 30th 1758, Leah, daughter of Abijah BRAINERD, and had the following children: Charity; Lydia, who married Abner COLE; Paulina, who married Godfrey HOPKINS; Festus and Hatfield, who were drowned September 21st 1798; Sylvanus; and perhaps others. The family removed to Butternuts, N. Y.
Samuel FREEMAN, who died in 1749, aged 52, and Prince FREEMAN, a prominent member of East Hampton Society at the time of its organization, were also residents of the town. Their line can be traced back to Edmund FREEMAN, a native of Devonshire, England, who emigrated to America in 1635, and in 1637, with nine other persons, settled the first English town on Cape Cod (Sandwich).
Nehemiah GATES, a native of East Haddam, married Anna, daughter of Judah and Anna (NORTON) HART, of Kensington Parish, and settled in the East district of East Hampton. He died June 9th 1771, in the 38th years of his age, and his widow married Lieut. Thomas WILLIAMS. His family consisted of three sons, Nehemiah, Hart, and George. Nehemiah was born December 2d 1758, and married Ruth WILLIAMS, May 25th 1788. She was born December 26th 1761, and, it is said, was of Welsh descent. They had four sons and seven daughters, all the daughters dying in infancy. Philo, the oldest son, born April 23d 1795, married Chloe STRONG in 1817, and removed to Ohio. Warren, born November 25th 1797, received a common school education, and followed farming and taught school winters until he commenced the stone business, working in the quarries along the river, and afterward went south and worked on the canal between Charleston and Columbia, S. C. After his return he worked a quarry on the north side of Great Hill, near Cobalt. He married Mary Doane CLARK, November 23d 1825, and in 1832 commenced work on Millstone Point, in the town of Waterford, and carried on the business sin that place in connection with sons until his death, October 10th 1867. Nehemiah GATES, born January 6th 1800, married Elizabeth Mary STRONG, December 22d 1825, and resided on the homestead, and carried on farming until his death, which occurred January 23d 1883. He was representative in the General Assembly in 1867 and 1868. His wife died July 5th 1870, and the next April he married her sister, Philanda STRONG. Augustus GATES, born June 21st 1802, married Elizabeth ALVORD, and died in Waterford, February 9th 1845. Nehemiah GATES died January 23d 1839, after a long life of usefulness and honor. Ruth, his widow, died August 18th 1844.
Hart GATES settled in Ohio where his descendants now live. George GATES married, December 12th 1780, Phœbe, daughter of Joseph PETERS, born October 26th 1760. She died June 12th 1795, and he married Sarah, daughter of William Barton, and widow of Garrison MARSHALL. He lived in the East District, near where his grandson, F. J. GATES, now lives, and carried on farming until his death, April 6th 1826, aged 65. His widow died April 5th 1846, aged 78. By his first wife he had the following children: George; Anne, died young; Anne; Olmstead, born April 30th 1788, married Nabby YOUNGS in 1813, and died in 1840; Phœbe, who married Cyrus BROWN; and Deborah. By his second wife he had: Sally; Polly; Julius, born February 2d 1801, married Susan STRONG, and lived on the homestead, following farming and holding offices of profit and trust in the town and the military rank of major (He was also one of the leaders in the Methodist Episcopal church); Harriet, died young; Julia Ann, died young; and Harriet, who married Capt. T. R. MARKHAM.
Stephen GATES, probably of East Haddam stock, lived in the Tarsia District, near the residence of S. H. TUCKER. He held the rank of ensign. He died in 1784, aged 60. Esther, his widow, died in 1796. Two children are recorded as being born to them-Esther, in 1750, and Dimmis, in 1752, who married Ithamar ROWLEY.
John GIDDINGS, from Lyme, bought, in 1758, 208 acres of land in Middle Haddam, and died before June 1st 1761, as widow Susannah GIDDINGS was at that time appointed administratrix of his estate. Their son, John, purchased the property in 1765, having previously married Mercy HARRIS, May 27th 1762. Their children were Martha, Harris, John, Mercy, Benjamin, Alfred, Lucy, and Dimmis. None of their descendants reside in town.